home
RSS
Your view: High school wrestler won't compete against a girl
February 18th, 2011

Your view: High school wrestler won't compete against a girl

Our recent post on Joel Northrup, the high school wrestler who bowed out of the state tournament when he was paired with a girl, has whipped up a heavy debate in the comments section.

With 47 pages of comments (and growing), there are debates from many directions and points of view.

Editors note: Some comment were edited for grammatical and spelling content, as well as length

Many of the comments show support for Northrup in his decision:

Sooz
Give the kid a break. He's got morals and an ethic that he is willing to stand up for. We need more men and women like this. All these other dead fish floating down the river just 'going with the flow' is part of the problem in this country.

Glenn
Well good for him for standing for what he believes in and not complaining about the consequences. Bravo, In the second round I hope he sticks to his guns if the same situation arises. Then I think he should not be competing again in these contests now that he knows he may have to wrestle a girl he can forgo entering them again.

Dave
My hat is off to you Noel! You will never regret standing up for principles you believe in – even if it seems hard at the time.

Others feel like he might be scared of losing to a girl:

Sara
I think deep down he is worried that she might beat him.

PLM
He is absolutely afraid of losing.

Shawn
He is a coward. He's afraid he's going to lose or he's afraid he's going to get made fun of or both. This isn't about convictions. He just needs to learn to leave his ego at the door.

Some say this is a no-win situation, for both parties involved:

ShannonG
This really is unfair to both of these young people. Unfair to him to have to make a choice of forfeit and lose his chances at becoming a champion, and unfair to her that there is no girl's wrestling opportunities. Please don't judge either of these people or their families, you don't know them.

George
I kind of know what this guy is going through. I hate to play against girls, even if its just a pick up game of 5 v 5 Basketball. The thing is is that if you do anything to the girl (in this case throw her to the ground/wrestle) and she ends up getting hurt, you look like the bad guy. If you end up losing to the girl, its not a big deal, but then people (at least in my experience) will think that maybe you held back since its a girl.

Some say he should have seen her as a competitor, who won her way to the tournament, much as he did, regardless of sex:

BlackBelt
I don't see any reason why he shouldn't have just wrestled her, being from Iowa and a wrestler myself I can say for a fact, that wrestling is HUGE here. I've wrestled 2 different girls and neither time did it seem any difference than any other match. Its how you think of it, most of the wrestlers I know don't care who they wrestle, once the whistle blows its doesn't make a difference if its a boy or a girl. To not wrestle her after working so hard to get to state is just dumb, does he realize how many kids would kill to have a place down there?? and I guarantee that at least 90% of them would wrestle her anyway.

JJ
Girls were wrestling in my county in 1998 and since then, there have been no problems. While I agree that there are boys and girls sports for a reason, most counties do not offer a female wrestling team, so if they want to wrestle, they have no choice but to do so on the boys teams. And you are in NO position to tell them that they are bad parents for letting their daughter wrestle. If so, I must be a bad parent for letting my son play on a little-league team that allows boys and girls to play together.....it must promote violence and promiscuity....

Girls Can Grapple Too
I disagree with those male wrestlers who say boys wrestling girls are placed in a "no-win" situation. I have yet to see a girl wrestler complain or claim harassment when beaten by a boy. I have also seen boys lose graciously to girls. It's unfortunate that societal norms encourage the boys' peers to tease them if they are beaten fairly by a girl, but that's certainly not a reason to forbid girls to wrestle against boys. On the other hand, it's completely ridiculous to claim that boys are criticized if they beat girls. If you're saying that a serious male wrestler will allow a girl to win by not giving it his all because he's afraid he'll hurt the girl, that sounds like a lame excuse to me....

Jake
Has anyone stopped to think how the girl must've felt? I'd feel pretty bad if someone wouldn't wrestle me because of something about me I couldn't change. I mean, really, it's just a sport. I'm sure that's really sweet and thoughtful, but the girl SIGNED UP to wrestle. It's never mandatory. She's there to compete, not have guys fall to their knees while she takes the medal without wrestling. Pardon me for sounding feminist, but if she's decided to do it, let her do it. And what if she wins? She'll always wonder if she was really the number one wrestler, or if she should've been number two. Wrestling's about earning your wins.

A Mat Mom
I am from a town very close to all of these kids and when my son had to wrestle a girl it really was no BIG DEAL...By the way I have seen this girl wrestle and trust me she can hold her own and most boys dont want to have to face her because she really is that good and can truely hold her own Go Cassy

Others go on to point out that these are young people, and that the sport of wrestling is a very close contact competition:

Jared
Wrestling isn't like baseball, or other sports. It's a full contact sport where you grapple with your opponent. I wouldn't be comfortable wrestling a girl like that either. It's inappropriate to me, and I'm neither prudish nor religious. I wouldn't really feel comfortable groping on a girl like that. Especially in the high school years. With the amount of hormones raging there's no way your mind isn't going to wander.

ldean
I don't think it is so much a "combat" thing; as it is a "creepy" thing. I am the most liberal, women's rights, go girl person in the world – but, have you seen some of those contortionist grabs guys get into in wrestling. I think he is correct to feel uncomfortable grabbing a girl's crotch, or chest in order to flip her and pin shoulders to the mat.

aubrie
If he's uncomfortable with it, forcing him would be akin to harassment. Wrestlers cannot only get violent, but some of their "holds" are in pretty personal places. As a woman, I wouldn't WANT a strange male athlete touching me in those places.... but that's just me.

There's also a good deal of back on forth on whether his decision was based on simple gender inequality:

LEB
Morals that treat men and women differently aren't morals that should be respected. No one would be tolerating his "morals" if he refused to wrestle a black student or a student of a different religion than himself. This is no different.

John S
Maybe he would be more comfortable if she wore a burqa, or walked behind him to the arena. Wrestling is violent at times for males, too. These young women chose to participate, as did Northrup. He is refusing them the very opportunity he has received from all the other wrestlers he has competed against. I hope that he will ultimately see that his refusal is a form of social Neanderthalism re-packaged to be sold as "strict convictions." Bias is bias, discrimination is discrimination. Hope all your future bosses are women!

Jm
Boys/Girls/ Men/Women are not equal when it comes to physical prowess. That is why when the best athletes in the world compete they separate men and women. I DO believe girls/women should have the same rights as boys/men in life. However, to say that the guy has no right to "say no" when it comes to physical contact with a girl is hypocritical.

And a closing comment seeing the good and bad on both sides of the debate:

Jeremy
In life, not everything is either black or white...like this topic, many things fall into the gray area. Everybody is trying so hard to be right, and prove others wrong. When, in actuality, nobody is right and nobody is wrong here. The very reason this is such a hot topic is because both sides can, and do, make great points. I will choose to remain open minded, and enjoy this interesting debate.

What's your take? Do you take Northrup's statement at face value, or do you think there maybe more at play behind the young man's actions?

- cmccloy

Filed under: Belief • Culture wars

1. ryyah

I think he made the right decision by not wrestling her because if he did win and hurt her he would have to live with the guilt and the harassment from others. Then again it was the girls choice to become a wrestler which means she think she's brave enough to take on a guy, she knew coming into this business that she would one day have to go against a dude but she still chose to wrestle so that has to do with her if she gets hurt but I take my hat off to the kid cause he made the right decision even if he did get bad compliments because he was being a gentlemen and taking in consideration of her feeling physically and emotionally.

December 12, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
  2. LaRue

I'm a girl wrestler. I only wrestled once and it was only a prelumb. but, I won the guys team was laughing at him after the match. I saw him at the conferance and we started talking about the match. He wasn't mad that he lost toa girl he saw it as that i beat him cause I was a better wrestler. I think girls should be allowed to wrestle. Guys that won't wrestle a girl are just scared to get beat by a girl.

February 20, 2013 at 9:22 pm |
  3. Elysef Rodiguezn

A few things i have constantly told people today is that when searching for a good internet electronics shop, there are a few components that you have to take into account. First and foremost, you want to make sure to look for a reputable plus reliable shop that has received great assessments and ratings from other consumers and business world leaders. This will make certain you are getting through with a well-known store that delivers good services and aid to the patrons. Thank you for sharing your opinions on this site.

July 11, 2012 at 3:34 am |
  4. shooter

Great task publishing this article. I would like to learn more about this topic.

January 31, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
  5. Cathy

What respect and honor this boy showed that girl. I think his example will stay in the minds and hearts of all who hear what he did. If only there were more boys and men like him. His parents sure have a young man to be proud off.

February 23, 2011 at 9:40 am |
  6. M S Woodward

I am Proud of Joel, for not giving into Peer Pressure on this. More young children should have such belief in them selves to not give into peer pressures that get them into big trouble.
    This is a no win situation for both parties and I feel for both of them.
    New Media is once again blowing the whole thing out of proportion....

February 23, 2011 at 9:38 am |
  7. Ranger

To The Truth: Heaven Sent is obviously a sentimental ignoramus; his evasiveness and false condescendi.ng attempt at modesty, simply expose his doubts and confusion. If he had answers to your ten questions, he would have jumped at the chance to give them. your points are solid and valid... The bible is indeed full of contradictions, and the virtues upheld by christianity are not unique.

February 22, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Ranger, you blame me for not responding to posts after I've moved away from this site to go onto other articles posted, yet you don't even look up (meaning to scroll up) to see I've already answered you.

Meanwhile, look up and remember these facts...

Luke 17:30: "Even thus shall it be IN THE DAY when the son of man is revealed. . . (vs 31) IN THAT DAY . . . (vs 34) I tell you, IN THAT NIGHT . . ." Nobody in Luke's day thought it could be day and night at the same time! They thought the earth was flat! Luke was written around 65 A.D. How did Luke know something that others didn't know until the 16th century?

Isaiah 40:22: "It is he that sitteth upon the CIRCLE OF THE EARTH." How did Isaiah know in 700 B.C. the earth is round? They didn't discover the earth is round until the early 1500s when Magellan sailed around the world. How did Isaiah know something over 2000 years ahead ????

Job 26:7: ". . . and hangeth the earth upon NOTHING." During the time of Job, it was believed a god named Atlas held the earth on his shoulders! Nobody believed the earth "hangeth upon NOTHING!" Job is the oldest book in the Bible! Written over 3500 years ago! How did Job know something that was IMPOSSIBLE to know during his day?

Genesis 2:7: "And the Lord God formed man of the DUST OF THE GROUND, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul."

Psalm 8:8: ". . . whatsoever passeth through the PATHS OF THE SEAS." After reading Psalm 8:8, so and so set out to locate these curious "paths in the seas." He discovered the oceans have paths which flow through them. He became known as the "pathfinder of the seas". How did David (the writer of Psalms) know, over 2,000 years ago, there were "paths in the seas"? David probably never even saw an ocean! HOW DID HE KNOW?

Ecclesiastes 1:7: "All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again." How did the writer of Ecclesiastes know the water cycle of condensation and evaporation? The sun evaporates water from the ocean, water vapor rises and becomes clouds. This water in the clouds falls back to the earth as rain, collects in rivers, and makes its way back to the ocean. This wasn't known until Galileo in 1630! How did the writer of Ecclesiastes know this in 1000 B.C.?

Leviticus 15:13: "And when he that hath an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself seven days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in RUNNING WATER." God said to wash the infected flesh in RUNNING WATER. Leviticus was written around 1490 B.C.

Job 38:19: "Where is THE WAY where light dwelleth?" How come Job didn't say where is THE PLACE where light dwelleth? Because light is always moving. How did Job know something in 1500 B.C.

Ecclesiastes 1:6: "The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again ACCORDING TO HIS CIRCUITS." How did the writer of Ecclesiastes know the wind traveled within circuits? THINK ABOUT IT! How can these men, with their limited knowledge thousands of years ago.

Proverbs 6:6-8: "Go to the ant. . . gathereth her food in the harvest." There was no evidence that ants actually harvested grain. Solomon had been right after all. . ." How did Solomon know that in 1000 B.C.?

Proverbs 17:22: "A merry heart doeth good ..." How did the writer of Proverbs know that?

Leviticus 17:11: "For the life of the flesh is in the blood." Exactly what the Bible said in 1490 B.C.!

Don't you find that odd? What Moses wrote in 1490 B.C.? The books of the Bible, written thousands of years ago, by men with such limited knowledge, be so far ahead?

The Bible says, "And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians. . ." (Acts 7:22).

February 25, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  8. mom

I take my hat off to this young man. As a mother of 3 wrestles this is a very hard situation. All 3 of my boys have had to wrestle a girl. It's not a point of being worried if they can beat them but having to put yourself in a position where you are touching a girl in that way is hard. Yes I tell my boys they are in this sport so wrestle them like a boy it ends up being very differnt when the boy has to do a move that requires them to grab the crotch or slam their hand across their face( cross face). we teach our boys to respect girls and never put a hand on them. I am all for girl wrestling but it should b with other girls. Boxing is not coed. I have seen a girl get her arm broke by a slam to the mat only for the mom to pull the girl card in the end. Lets avoid all this by just making a girls wrestling legue.

February 22, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
  9. HeavenSent

David, It's amazing how you can even put one foot in front of the other while you fall flat on your faith with your nonsense. I suppose because you didn't discover how the human body works, you will not believe this fact either.

February 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  10. The Truth

While his intentions may have indeed been noble, it is just further discrimination preached forth in the Bible. Whether it is men being superior to women or gays being inferior to straights, it is discrimination nonetheless.

Many MLB players absolutely refuse to face pitcher Jennie Finch because they know she'll likely strike them out as she has with countless All-Stars such as Albert Pujols.

Or in terms of contact sports, check out what happened when a male reporter asked women's MMA star Cris Cyborg if choke outs really work (as she takes him out unconscious in a matter of seconds).

To think that a girl can't compete with a boy is chauvinistic which is right in line with how many interpret the Bible. Gotta love that book.

Peace.

February 20, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
    • HeavenSent

So says another DRY BONES that hasn't a clue to what Jesus teaches. Funny. You non-believers always pick out what you perceive as negative or discriminate of His scriptures. When, in reality, it's His truth about the outcome He is teaching and what directions if taken by an outlaw (aka criminal mentality) or a faithful person who respects His law.

Amen.

February 21, 2011 at 12:48 am |
    • The Truth

***HeavenSent writes: "So says another DRY BONES that hasn't a clue to what Jesus teaches." ***

Wow, talk about being judgmental. I didn't realize you had a monopoly on the teachings of Jesus. I went to elite faith based schools for 12 years, worked for years in my Church on the payroll and volunteering, have debated with theologians, etc. you blieviev

***"Funny. You non-believers always pick out what you perceive as negative or discriminate of His scriptures."***

Funny, you believers always pick out the parts of the Bible that you interpret as part of your mental schema and "conveniently" leave out the negative parts and ignore the fact that the Bible contradicts itself over and over and over again.

The Bible is littered with errors, contradictions and prophecies that never came to pass. In fact it contradicts itself starting in THE VERY FIRST TWO CHAPTERS of Genesis when the order of creation is mixed up to having only 2 of the 4 Gospel writers bothering to talk about the birth of Jesus (and those two accounts conflict with each other while also providing timelines which make it IMPOSSIBLE for Jesus to have been born based on their accounts) to 3 of the 4 Gospel writers not agreeing on what the final words of Jesus were. If I saw the Son of God die right in front me, I think I'd remember his last words verbatim.... wouldn't you?

The facts are that a 5th grader today knows more about the world that we live in than did the uneducated people who wrote the Bible. It is ironic that everyone here would NEVER let a 5th grader dictate the course of your life, but when it comes to the Bible, then it all of the sudden "magically" becomes OK to do so. It's mind-boggling.

Peace.

February 21, 2011 at 1:01 am |
    • HeavenSent

The Truth, if you weren’t judging, you wouldn’t have bothered to write me, now, would you?. So much for your theory holding water. You went to an elite school and you still haven't figured out His truth? Christians discern whether someone knows Jesus’ truth or not and we discuss His teaching to sharpen our knowledge on His truth as well as those that refuse to learn His wisdom. If His truth falls on deaf ears, not our problem. Dry bones as well as spiritually dead is written in His scriptures. Go search for them yourself if you don't believe me. I prefer use that Truth than some of the others that are written. I suppose you ignored that part of His truth in that elite school you attended? Sounds to me that you are either fearful or became a believer in the ways of the world instead of His truth to seriously debate His wisdom? What you believe as riddled with errors is your error and apparently those theologians you discussed scriptures with. I suspect you are young and therefore, most of His truth has not been unveiled to you as of yet ... as well as to your elite theologians. Genesis talks about all the peoples of the earth being created on the 6th day, also read to compare with Acts 17:26. On the 7th day God rested and on the 8th day God created Adam and Eve (called the Eighth Day Creation). You should have learned about what eth haa Adam means in Genesis 1:27 which seems to me, that is what you perceive to be in error, but then again, you need to cross reference the books of the Bible. Adam and Eve’s future generations brings forth Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior in the lineage of David as in David and Golliath who became King David.

So much for learning His truth in 2 Timothy 3:2!

The reason you don’t know how to read Genesis is because you haven’t figured out what other scriptures tell you to do. There are three Heaven ages just as the are three Earth ages; not different places, but different times. The "third Heaven" is the one spoken of in Revelation chapter 21.

Revelation 21:1-5. You call error but His truth "first" in verse one; i.e., "for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away", see: The 'first' heaven and the 'first' earth reference in Rev 21:1.

For His truth about the three Earth ages see 2nd Peter chapter 3:5-13. His Truth states, for every Earth age there is a corresponding Heaven age.

You can then read Jeremiah 4 for the destruction of the 1st earth age which happened to have been millions of years old.

Hebrews 1-13 tells us His truth who was created at the beginning (1st earth age).

While you are at it Mr. Elite schooled, you can read Ephesians 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Noah and the Flood – God destroys the world in this 2nd earth age see Genesis 6-10 as well as Matthew 24:38, 39. Along with Daniel 9-.

I would tell you which scriptures you need to pay particular attention to but, then again, you went to an elite school and I'm sure you were taught this.

Just a reminder Mr. Elite, Eon means world/time/or ages. But, of course, you knew that.

The righteous requirement of the law is fulfilled in those who walk by the Spirit. Galatians 5:16 says, I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Those who walk by the Spirit do not fulfill the lust of the flesh. And what is the lust of the flesh? It is breaking the law of God. The deeds of the flesh are all contrary to the law of God, as Galatians 5:19-21 illustrates.

February 21, 2011 at 4:27 am |

Part 1:

****HeavenSent writes: "The Truth, if you weren’t judging, you wouldn’t have bothered to write me, now, would you?. So much for your theory holding water."****

LOL... you fail to recognize that we are on different playing fields. I can judge away as I see fit because I am not pretending to be something that I am not. You on the other hand are claiming to be a Christian which therefore holds you to a different standard chosen by your own fr-uition.

***"Christians discern whether someone knows Jesus’ truth or not"****

Who are you to discern that? Only Jesus can discern that. Must be nice to be able to speak on behalf of God. I didn't realize you were omni-scient.

Continued below:

February 21, 2011 at 5:47 am |

Part 2:

****"What you believe as riddled with errors is your error and apparently those theologians you discussed scriptures with.***"

LOL... What part of this is unable to be understood? It is IMPOSSIBLE for Jesus to have been born according to the Gospels. Did Jesus/God just magically forget when he was born?

****"I suspect you are young and therefore, most of His truth has not been unveiled to you as of yet"****

I am older than a butterfly and younger than a mountain.

**** "Genesis talks about all the peoples of the earth being created on the 6th day, also read to compare with Acts 17:26. On the 7th day God rested and on the 8th day God created Adam and Eve (called the Eighth Day Creation). You should have learned about what eth haa Adam means in Genesis 1:27 which seems to me, that is what you perceive to be in error, but then again, you need to cross reference the books of the Bible."*****

Just some off the top of my head in Genesis alone:

#1) Genesis chapter 1 says the first man and woman were made at the same time, and after the animals. But Genesis chapter 2 gives a different order of creation: man, then the animals, and then woman.

#2) Genesis chapter 1 lists six days of creation, whereas chapter 2 refers to the "day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens." Genesis 1:2-3 claims that God created light and divided it from darkness on the first day; but Genesis 1:14-19 tells us the sun, moon, and stars weren't made until the fourth day.

#3) Chapter 1 reports that the fruit trees were created before the man, while chapter 2 indicates they were made after him. Genesis 1:20 says the fowl were created out of the waters; Genesis 2:19 alleges they were formed from the ground.

#4) Contradictions are also seen in the biblical story of a worldwide flood. According to Genesis 6:19-22, God ordered Noah to bring "of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort . . . into the ark." Nevertheless, Genesis 7:2-3 relates that the Lord ordered Noah to take into the ark the clean beasts and the birds by sevens, and only the unclean beasts by twos.

#5) Genesis 8:4 reports that, as the waters of the flood receded, Noah’s ark rested on the mountains of Ararat in the seventh month. The very next verse, however, says the mountaintops could not be seen until the tenth month.

#6) Genesis 8:13 describes the earth as being dry on the first day of the first month. But Genesis 8:14 informs us the earth was not dry until the twenty-seventh day of the second month.

Yep, that God was really on top of things when writing that. If I would have turned in those same items as part of a short story in English class, I would have not gotten higher than a "C" because of all the ridiculous contradictions.

Continued below:

February 21, 2011 at 5:49 am |

Part 3:

****"Adam and Eve’s future generations brings forth Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior in the lineage of David as in David and Golliath who became King David."****

There are three detailed genealogies in the Bible and "shockingly" they all contradict each other.

*** "As for 5th graders knowing more about the world, they don’t respect 2 Timothy 3:15 and hence do not know Romans 12-2, as any practicing Christian would remind you that we are suppose to focus on the teachings of Jesus Truth and not the ways of this world. Or haven’t you bothered to read those scriptures either?"***

LOL... I am more than well versed in the Bible. Quote me this, that and the other thing all you want. The realities are that you can make the Bible say ANYTHING you want to . There is an entire website devoted to proving that Tiger Woods is God using only Biblical quotes.

Fifth graders today know the world is round. They know there are 7 continents. They know there are 4 oceans. They know about carbon dating. They know about countless scientific theories. The people who wrote the Bible were uneducated children by today's standards.

****"The reason you don’t know how to read Genesis is because you haven’t figured out what other scriptures tell you to do."****

As if you know that the way you are interpreting it is 100% correct. There mere notion of that is comical. One of my higher education degrees is in the field of Communications which deals with items like this. You are reading a translated version of a translated version a hundred times over. To think that is really accurate is naive. Heck, there isn't even a standard version of the Bible because even Christians can't agree on that.

***"While you are at it Mr. Elite schooled"***

You seem very defensive about this. Sorry that I received a quality eduction. The reality is that numerous studies have shown that the more someone believes in religion, the lower their level of intelligence. God apparently created his chosen people as the least intelligent segment of society. How ironic.

I am not ruling out the possibility of a Supreme Being as one cannot disprove a negative. I am however ruling out that God wrote the Bible because I'd like to think that my Creator had an ample level of intelligence (which the authors of the Bible clearly did not).

****"Noah and the Flood – God destroys the world in this 2nd earth age"****

Please don't tell me that you believe the Noah story to be true. The Bible contradicts itself regarding that countless times as well. Nevertomind the fact that it is ridiculous to think that story is real.

Let's throw in 2 blue whales onto the Ark at 400K lbs each! They can eat 8K lbs of krill per day. That's 640K lbs of food just for the whales! The weight of the whales and their food now equals 1,440,000 pounds (not even factoring in the weight of water in the tanks). In contrast, the space shuttle orbiter has a maximum landing weight of 230,000 pounds. So Noah's Ark would have held the weight of more than 6 space shuttles at maximum landing weight JUST with the 2 blue whales alone. The Christians say, "The whales could just swim along side the ark" but that much excess water (that supposedly flooded the earth) would have changed the salinity levels in the oceans and the whales would have died. If you ever owned salt water fish, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

We could take our biggest aircraft carrier today and STILL not be able to put two of every species on Earth on it for 40 days.

Continued below:

February 21, 2011 at 5:50 am |

Part 4:

****"Time to re-read your Bible with eyes to see His truth this time, nstead of them being blinded by man and their scoffing of the Lord's truth as is written. Seriously, if you need me to be more specific. Write me to ask which specific scriptures to pay attention to."****

How many times have you attended a Muslim Mosque? What about a Hindu Temple? What about a Jewish Synagogue? How can anyone possibly know for certain that you've found the "right" religion while not experiencing the others that millions upon millions of others find to be their salvation? If you haven't, then you are the person that sits there and insists that Pepsi tastes better than Coke, but you have only tried the Pepsi and never the Coke. Yet, you will be steadfast in your belief that Pepsi is better despite having no conclusive first hand experience to prove otherwise. Thus, the entire argument is invalid.

When you come to the realization that if you were born in Iran that you would have the EXACT same zeal for Muhammad that you do for Jesus, then that will be a big awakening for you. If you were born in Tibet, you would have the same zeal for Buddha that you have for Jesus. To deny it is to deny the truth. After all, the Truth Shall Set You Free.

In the end, I can simply follow the Golden Rule... "Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you." Interestingly enough, that exists in almost every religion and since God's people encompass the planet, that makes far more sense than relying on a 2,000 year old book written by uneducated men and a corrupt machine that is organized religion to rule my life:

Bahá'í Faith: "And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbour that which thou choosest for thyself."

Brahmanism: "Do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you."

Buddhism: "Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful."

Confucianism: "Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you."

Egyptian: "Do for one who may do for you, that you may cause him thus to do."

Hinduism: "This is the sum of duty: do not do to others what would cause pain if done to you."

Humanism: "Don't do things you wouldn't want to have done to you."

Islam: "None of you truly believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself."

Jainism: "In happiness and suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures as we regard our own self."

Judaism: "What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man. This is the law: all the rest is commentary."

Native American: "Do not wrong or hate your neighbor. For it is not he who you wrong, but yourself."

Shinto: "The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your own form."

Sikhism: "No one is my enemy, none a stranger and everyone is my friend."

Taoism: "Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain, and your neighbor's loss as your own loss."

Yoruba: "One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts."

Zoroastrianism: "Whatever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others."

In the end, it is obvious that all religions share this theme. That is the rule to follow, not because it is in some book, but because it is shared across religions and humanity. If you were born in Tibet or Iran, you'd still be following that rule. Logic dictates this is FAR more sensible.

Peace.

February 21, 2011 at 5:52 am |
    • HeavenSent

The Truth, apparently, you never read His truth to comprehend this ...

Judging Is Believing.

Yes, and why, even of yourselves, do you not judge what is right? (Luke 12:57).

What is right?

The statutes of the Lord are right (Psalm 19:8).

"For the wicked [man without God] boasts of his heart's desire; he blesses the greedy and renounces the Lord. The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts." Psalm 10:3-4 (i.e. no God-shaped void).

False Christians (and others) often tell us it is not right to judge. Some fools hypocritically condemn us for judging (Luke 6:37), and they all hypocritically judge that we judge. When we identify said preachers as false teachers leading both themselves and those who follow them to hell, when we declare others as on their way to hell, and especially when we warn them they are lost, we often hear these words (or the equivalent), "Judge not" (Matthew 7:1). Yet, these words are exactly why we judge.

Jesus said,

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. (Matthew 7:1-2).

Jesus also said,

Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. (Luke 6:37).

We take these words very seriously. They literally scare us. In fact, we are terrified of them (Psalm 119:120; Isaiah 66:2). We do not want to be judged by our "measure" as Christ warns in Matthew 7:1-2, because we know we fall short (Romans 3:23); and our measure is guaranteed to be faulty (Psalm 16:2).

Moreover, we desire not to be judged as the Lord says in Luke 6:37. We also desire not to be condemned as Jesus promises in Luke 6:37. Therefore, we strive, in the fear of God, to be certain to never judge and never condemn anyone but we have the right to discern His truth.

This is why we have chosen to write and speak solely in accordance with God's judgments and Yehvah's condemnations, as it is written, not the ways of man, but of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

With my lips I have declared all the judgments of Your mouth. (Psalm 119:13).

Everyone judges. No matter who you are, you make judgments every day. The most complacent judge there is nothing to be concerned about (Zephaniah 1:12). The most paranoid judge there is trouble everywhere (Proverbs 28:1). Everyone judges and makes judgments concerning their surroundings and those around them. Those with the MIND of Christ judge according to Christ (1 Corinthians 2:15-16).3 Those with a mind of their own (Isaiah 65:2) judge according to their own and are among those described in Isaiah 5:20-21.

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

There's more to His judging scriptures if you learn His truth to have eyes to see, ears to hear!

Amen.

February 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The truth, the golden rules that you are so keened on keeping close to your heart is Jesus' teachings as in Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

If you can't figure out His truth from the King James Version above, check it out in an updated modern English version.

February 21, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • Righton

February 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm |

testing pls ignore:

@ HeavenSent: I spent a great deal of time addressing all of your points. And then instead of you answering my questions, you come back with a bunch of other Biblical quotes which mean nothing as I already explained. Furthermore, as I already explained, you can consider me an EXPERT in the field of Communication and instead of trying to learn from me, you choose to ignore what I said and just kept proc-eeding down the path that fits your mental schema. For every quote you give me about this, that and the other thing, I can use the Bible to justify rap-e, mu-rder, sl-av-ery, child abu-se, etc, etc, etc. Why? Because you can make the Bible say ANYTHING.

With regard to the concept of judging, the Bible contradicts itself here again and again and again. From Jesus standing up to judge us to Jesus sitting down to judge us to it not being OK for us to judge to it being OK for us to judge. It all means nothing. Instead of you recognizing this reality, you instead choose to go the route of anti-reality and just make the Bible say what you want it to say to justify your own belief schema.

So why not answer my questions?

1) How many hours have you spent studying Christianity? Now how many hours have you spent studying other religions in depth?

2) How do you justify that if you were born in Iran that you'd have the same zeal for Mohammed that you currently have for Jesus?

3) How do you justify the Noah Ark's story?

4) How do you justify that it is IMPOSSIBLE for Jesus to have been born according to the Gospel accounts?

5) How do you justify that God couldn't remember Jesus' final words?

6) How do you justify that God couldn't remember the order of creation?

7) How do you attempt to assert that a being of immense intelligence wrote a book filled with errors and contradictions? (The only way to do this is to think God isn't of immense intelligence or to just be in complete delusion that the Bible is inerrant.)

Etc, etc, etc...

Peace.

February 21, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • HeavenSent

February 21, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
    • The Truth

righton writes: "There's been one NHL player that's female. She was a goaltender and was pretty much a publicity stunt. She got lit up in a couple preseason, PRESEASON, games more than a pack of Marlboro's at a smoker's convention. Women are not built to compete physically with men. It's just how nature intended it to be."

You are comparing a woman (Manon Rheaume) at the most elite level possible (the NHL). To think that Manon couldn't have played boys hockey on her HIGH SCHOOL team is naive. To think that Mia Hamm couldn't have played soccer on her boys high school team is naive. To think that Cris Cyborg in the MMA can't still kick the crap out of 95%+ of grown men is naive. We aren't talking about pro sports here, but rather high school where boys and girls are still developing their bodies at different stages.

Peace.

February 21, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
    • The Truth

HeavenSent writes: "The Truth, it's not my problem why you can't see Jesus' truth as is written. It's so simple. Besides, He told us to go humble for a reason. You need to read 2 Timothy 3:1-5 and understand what He taught."

Still waiting for you to answer my questions.

February 21, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • HeavenSent

You don't like it. Too bad for you.

February 21, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
    • The Truth

HeavenSent writes: "The Truth, our country was founded on Jesus' truth, as was Europe, Canada to mention just a few. I come from a European background where my ancestors followed Jesus' truth there, came to this country and continued in His truth because of how this country was founded. You don't like it. Too bad for you."

LOL... Too bad God hates Native Americans because they didn't find out about Jesus' truth until nearly 1,500 years after Jesus walked on the Earth.

Still waiting for you to answer my questions.

February 21, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The truth, the reason you don't read any of the scriptures I write back is because of what you told me already, you don't know how to read the Bible. You may read His words but you haven't figured out His teachings. Again, no one else's fault. You own the reason why you refuse to learn His wisdom.

As for all your other questions besides # 5, which I have no clue what you are trying to write. I'm sure, you misunderstand it as well as everything else you've quoted out of context, so far. Again, if you are quoting what I think you are referring to when our Lord Jesus Christ said, when He prayed to His father in Heaven. Wrong again.

Again, as a non-believer you wouldn't care what His truth was even if I copied and posted it right from His scriptures. You do however, follow His golden rules. Another way Christians taught non-believers.

Worked. Didn't it?

Wink, wink.

February 21, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
    • The Truth

**** HeavenSent writes: "The truth, the reason you don't read any of the scriptures I write back is because of what you told me already, you don't know how to read the Bible."***

LOL... I'd gladly put my education and knowledge of the Bible and other religions up against you any day of the week.

**** As for all your other questions besides # 5, which I have no clue what you are trying to write."

Of course you don't. According to the Bible, the last words of Jesus while on the cross: Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34 quote Jesus as crying with a loud voice, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Luke 23:46 gives his final words as, "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit." John 19:30 alleges the last words were, "It is finished."

***"I'm sure, you misunderstand it as well as everything else you've quoted out of context, so far."****

Ah, the classic cop out attempt. Come on, try us... we'd all love to hear it I'm sure.

***"Again, as a non-believer you wouldn't care what His truth was even if I copied and posted it right from His scriptures."***

I never said I ruled out a higher being because I can't disprove a negative.

***"You do however, follow His golden rules. Another way Christians taught non-believers."***

LOL... listen to yourself. What part of the other Golden Rules did you fail to comprehend? Some of those are far OLDER than the Bible which means the Bible "borrowed" it from them.

So I'm still waiting on those questions and I'll also add in the following questions as well:

#8) How many homeless people do you have living in your house right now?

#10) Why haven't you sold everything you owned to give to the poor and follow Jesus as he commands?

Still waiting...

February 21, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
    • The Truth

@HeavenSent: Still waiting for the answers to those questions. Come on, they aren't hard. Surely someone with as strong a knowledge of the Bible should have no problem answering them.

I'll tell you what... you can even have your priests/ministers come on answer them for you if you'd like as I'll be happy to talk to them as well.

Just 10 simple questions. What are you afraid of? Still waiting....

February 21, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
    • The Truth

@ HeavenSent: STILL waiting for the answers to those 10 questions...

February 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • The Truth

@ HeavenSent: STILL waiting for the answers to those 10 questions... come on... you've had plenty of time to try and look up answers for them already. You've posted numerous times elsewhere on here, so it's not like you haven't been available to answer. You say you know so much, so surely you'd have no problem answering them. But of course we both know it is just a facade.

It's OK, I've seen plenty of people like you before and I'll see them again.

Here's what you will end up doing... you will block this out of your mental schema and pretend like it never happened instead of facing reality and dealing with it. Sad really. Those questions weren't even difficult ones as I gave you the "novice" questions... I can only imagine what the response (or more apropos lack thereof) to the advanced questions would be.

In the end, the facts are that a 5th grader today knows more about the world that we live in than did the uneducated people who wrote the Bible. It is ironic that all of you would NEVER let a 5th grader dictate the course of your life, but when it comes to the Bible, then it all of the sudden "magically" becomes OK to do so. Absolutely mind-boggling.

So I wish you well living in your world of self-creation. You'd likely be much happier living in the world of reality, but that's probably not going to happen any time soon.

Good luck to you.

Peace.

February 22, 2011 at 2:17 am |
    • Ranger

February 22, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
    • The Truth

*** @Ranger: "Heaven Sent is obviously a sentimental ignoramus; his evasiveness and false condescendi.ng attempt at modesty, simply expose his doubts and confusion." ***

lol

*** "If he had answers to your ten questions, he would have jumped at the chance to give them." ***

lol... It's nice to know that someone else realizes this as well. Thanks. 🙂

***"Logic cannot be contradictory to TRUE SPIRITUALITY. The religious community needs to revise its world of beliefs and stick to elements that are compatible with our objective findings in other studies like sciences.***

Amen.

*** Having said this, I am a catholic christian and I believe in "An evolving creation" ; where the principles of biological and social evolution are indeed part of the design of an intelligent creator who is NOT all powerful and not "NICE" in the Human context, but "benevolent" at a cosmic scale.The few parts of the Bible and other holy books that are actually accurate, are more metaphorical to me than literal.
      My beliefs are compatible with my understanding of science and I am ready to ditch any belief the moment that it's falsehood is PROVEN to me. ****

I commend you for your open-mindedness. Yourself and HeavenSent represent the opposing poles on the Christian spectrum. I stated above to HeavenSent that "Here's what you will end up doing... you will block this out of your mental schema and pretend like it never happened instead of facing reality and dealing with it." While that is what he/she will do (and due to the lack of response probably already has done), you on the other hand keep an open mind and do the opposite.

It is funny that when people buy a car, they will go out and comparison shop left and right, but when it comes to their eternal salvation, they don't really do honest comparison shopping. Looking at other religions and keeping an open mind about your current religion by challenging your current belief schema will do one of the following:

1) Either make you realize that there is a better option for you than your current religion or belief system.

2) Strengthen your current beliefs by realizing that you've ruled out some other options.

It is truly a win-win situation, yet hardly anyone "really" does this.

In any event, Kudos to you!
      🙂

February 22, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The Truth

Answer: I wrote you about viewing anything through the ways of the world, as usual, you keep your silly debates going because you ignore anything I write on His truth, that, and know your school didn’t teach you diddly so you sharpen your knowledge on His truth through other Christians that read the Bible and explain their knowledge of His truth .. (Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.)

Answer: I thought you were referring to Psalms 22, but wasn’t quit sure. This was Jesus teaching us of what God foretold 1000 years prior to him being nailed to the the cross and how it has now come to fruition.

Answer: Criminals don’t like being incarcerated for breaking the law, just as non-believers can’t stand when Jesus gave the laws to Mosses. Anything you post that bothers you is revealing your own sinful nature.

I never said I ruled out a higher being because I can't disprove a negative.

Answer: Read Psalms 14:1-7 for starters.

Answer: You obviously don’t know who Cain is and who his father is. After Cain slew his brother Abel he fled to another country. Like his father, he too, did his part to carry on his father’s wishes by deceiving as many of God’s children as he could. Hence, why there is so many false religions, sites that hate Jesus’ truth, all the other propaganda that you buy into truth ... wink, wink, to believe.

Answer: You wait until you know I’ve logged off this site to keep writing your questions to me pretending I refuse to answer you. Ridiculous and childish, but that’s just your way. You own it.. Obviously, when I do come back I’m onto other posted articles to blog and if I happen to check in like I’m doing today, I’ll answer you. Better yet, any questions I haven’t answered in any other articles, just coping them and post it in the post you know I’m currently blogging in.

#8) How many homeless people do you have living in your house right now?

Answer: Two just moved after saving money that they spent taking care of their son who just was diagnosed for cancer. All their money was spent on loving their son and paying for his medical care.

#9) How many homeless people have ever lived in your house as your guests? (Remember lying is a sin.).

Answer: For as long as I’ve owned my home ... maybe about 7 totally were homeless so was the one that stole what he could from me.

Answer: I’ve never got that far, everything was stolen from me with the exception of the house I live in now. Therefore, others did this for me.

Still waiting...

Answer: As I already explained, post your questions on a site that I'm currently writing on and not one that I've moved off from. Or, I suspect you have every intentions of assuming I won't answer you.

February 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Ranger, I'm not evading any post. I just happened to have moved on to other posts, came back to this post to copy something I saw another blogger post, happened to see the truths post and yours. The Bible is only contradicting to those that want it to be.

Here's some of the scriptures you may want to check your facts with since you mock Jesus' truth.

While you are at it Ranger, find out which one of the apostles was a physician.

Amen.

Oh, next time I go to the zoo, I'll say HI to some of your relatives that didn't evolve Mr. Catholic Christian believing in "An evolving creation" ; where the principles of biological and social evolution are indeed part of the design of an intelligent creator who is NOT all powerful and not "NICE" in the Human context, but "benevolent" at a cosmic scale.
      My beliefs are compatible with my understanding of science and I am ready to ditch any belief the moment that it's falsehood is PROVEN to me."

If I can post other scriptures from being blocked ... I'd do that too.

February 25, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  11. Joe M

I've fought women in Judo, and also in full contact Kickboxing. Some I've won and some I've lost, but we've never had any problems.
    Joel Northup is no kind of sportsman, and no kind of wrestler. He's just a guy refusing to do the job he signed up for.

February 20, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Righton

You sound like a bitter old has-been. He should " just man up about it" right? What would you say if she didn't want to wrestle a boy? That she should "do her job?" You seem like the type that only got affection from your dad when you won something. Get some therapy and realize the rest of us don't need to win as badly as you do.

February 21, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
    • well read

@Joe M, I will have to disagree. Having wrestled in high school and having watched teammates wrestle against girls, I was very thankful there were very few girls in my state who wrestled in my weight class (189). I fortunately never had to face this choice. It is a no-win situation for a high school boy with morals. I was raised that you don't use physical violence against women unless you are in serious physical danger. A sporting event does not qualify as being in danger, but wrestling certainly qualifies as physical violence. I have seen male wrestlers lose to females because they paused mid move to figure out how to complete it without violating the females' "intimate areas." Those familiar with wrestling know how important it is to be constantly in motion. A pause for moral consideration does cost some boys matches. Adults are better able to compartmentalize and rationalize. Teenage boys, do not have finely developed skills in those areas.

February 22, 2011 at 9:10 am |
    • Wrasslin fan

Wow. How horrible at Judo are you? Jesus man.
      Maybe time to find a new hobby. Gawd I wish I could hip toss you myself for being such a huge mangina.

February 22, 2011 at 11:26 am |
    • ann

I agree , people applaude this guy for the stance he's taken , I'm not sure why ? He is disrespecting his female opponents and his sport .

February 23, 2011 at 8:29 am |