home
RSS
Your view: High school wrestler won't compete against a girl
February 18th, 2011

Your view: High school wrestler won't compete against a girl

Our recent post on Joel Northrup, the high school wrestler who bowed out of the state tournament when he was paired with a girl, has whipped up a heavy debate in the comments section.

With 47 pages of comments (and growing), there are debates from many directions and points of view.

Editors note: Some comment were edited for grammatical and spelling content, as well as length

Many of the comments show support for Northrup in his decision:

Sooz
Give the kid a break. He's got morals and an ethic that he is willing to stand up for. We need more men and women like this. All these other dead fish floating down the river just 'going with the flow' is part of the problem in this country.

Glenn
Well good for him for standing for what he believes in and not complaining about the consequences. Bravo, In the second round I hope he sticks to his guns if the same situation arises. Then I think he should not be competing again in these contests now that he knows he may have to wrestle a girl he can forgo entering them again.

Dave
My hat is off to you Noel! You will never regret standing up for principles you believe in – even if it seems hard at the time.

Others feel like he might be scared of losing to a girl:

Sara
I think deep down he is worried that she might beat him.

PLM
He is absolutely afraid of losing.

Shawn
He is a coward. He's afraid he's going to lose or he's afraid he's going to get made fun of or both. This isn't about convictions. He just needs to learn to leave his ego at the door.

Some say this is a no-win situation, for both parties involved:

ShannonG
This really is unfair to both of these young people. Unfair to him to have to make a choice of forfeit and lose his chances at becoming a champion, and unfair to her that there is no girl's wrestling opportunities. Please don't judge either of these people or their families, you don't know them.

George
I kind of know what this guy is going through. I hate to play against girls, even if its just a pick up game of 5 v 5 Basketball. The thing is is that if you do anything to the girl (in this case throw her to the ground/wrestle) and she ends up getting hurt, you look like the bad guy. If you end up losing to the girl, its not a big deal, but then people (at least in my experience) will think that maybe you held back since its a girl.

Some say he should have seen her as a competitor, who won her way to the tournament, much as he did, regardless of sex:

BlackBelt
I don't see any reason why he shouldn't have just wrestled her, being from Iowa and a wrestler myself I can say for a fact, that wrestling is HUGE here. I've wrestled 2 different girls and neither time did it seem any difference than any other match. Its how you think of it, most of the wrestlers I know don't care who they wrestle, once the whistle blows its doesn't make a difference if its a boy or a girl. To not wrestle her after working so hard to get to state is just dumb, does he realize how many kids would kill to have a place down there?? and I guarantee that at least 90% of them would wrestle her anyway.

JJ
Girls were wrestling in my county in 1998 and since then, there have been no problems. While I agree that there are boys and girls sports for a reason, most counties do not offer a female wrestling team, so if they want to wrestle, they have no choice but to do so on the boys teams. And you are in NO position to tell them that they are bad parents for letting their daughter wrestle. If so, I must be a bad parent for letting my son play on a little-league team that allows boys and girls to play together.....it must promote violence and promiscuity....

Girls Can Grapple Too
I disagree with those male wrestlers who say boys wrestling girls are placed in a "no-win" situation. I have yet to see a girl wrestler complain or claim harassment when beaten by a boy. I have also seen boys lose graciously to girls. It's unfortunate that societal norms encourage the boys' peers to tease them if they are beaten fairly by a girl, but that's certainly not a reason to forbid girls to wrestle against boys. On the other hand, it's completely ridiculous to claim that boys are criticized if they beat girls. If you're saying that a serious male wrestler will allow a girl to win by not giving it his all because he's afraid he'll hurt the girl, that sounds like a lame excuse to me....

Jake
Has anyone stopped to think how the girl must've felt? I'd feel pretty bad if someone wouldn't wrestle me because of something about me I couldn't change. I mean, really, it's just a sport. I'm sure that's really sweet and thoughtful, but the girl SIGNED UP to wrestle. It's never mandatory. She's there to compete, not have guys fall to their knees while she takes the medal without wrestling. Pardon me for sounding feminist, but if she's decided to do it, let her do it. And what if she wins? She'll always wonder if she was really the number one wrestler, or if she should've been number two. Wrestling's about earning your wins.

A Mat Mom
I am from a town very close to all of these kids and when my son had to wrestle a girl it really was no BIG DEAL...By the way I have seen this girl wrestle and trust me she can hold her own and most boys dont want to have to face her because she really is that good and can truely hold her own Go Cassy

Others go on to point out that these are young people, and that the sport of wrestling is a very close contact competition:

Jared
Wrestling isn't like baseball, or other sports. It's a full contact sport where you grapple with your opponent. I wouldn't be comfortable wrestling a girl like that either. It's inappropriate to me, and I'm neither prudish nor religious. I wouldn't really feel comfortable groping on a girl like that. Especially in the high school years. With the amount of hormones raging there's no way your mind isn't going to wander.

ldean
I don't think it is so much a "combat" thing; as it is a "creepy" thing. I am the most liberal, women's rights, go girl person in the world – but, have you seen some of those contortionist grabs guys get into in wrestling. I think he is correct to feel uncomfortable grabbing a girl's crotch, or chest in order to flip her and pin shoulders to the mat.

aubrie
If he's uncomfortable with it, forcing him would be akin to harassment. Wrestlers cannot only get violent, but some of their "holds" are in pretty personal places. As a woman, I wouldn't WANT a strange male athlete touching me in those places.... but that's just me.

There's also a good deal of back on forth on whether his decision was based on simple gender inequality:

LEB
Morals that treat men and women differently aren't morals that should be respected. No one would be tolerating his "morals" if he refused to wrestle a black student or a student of a different religion than himself. This is no different.

John S
Maybe he would be more comfortable if she wore a burqa, or walked behind him to the arena. Wrestling is violent at times for males, too. These young women chose to participate, as did Northrup. He is refusing them the very opportunity he has received from all the other wrestlers he has competed against. I hope that he will ultimately see that his refusal is a form of social Neanderthalism re-packaged to be sold as "strict convictions." Bias is bias, discrimination is discrimination. Hope all your future bosses are women!

Jm
Boys/Girls/ Men/Women are not equal when it comes to physical prowess. That is why when the best athletes in the world compete they separate men and women. I DO believe girls/women should have the same rights as boys/men in life. However, to say that the guy has no right to "say no" when it comes to physical contact with a girl is hypocritical.

And a closing comment seeing the good and bad on both sides of the debate:

Jeremy
In life, not everything is either black or white...like this topic, many things fall into the gray area. Everybody is trying so hard to be right, and prove others wrong. When, in actuality, nobody is right and nobody is wrong here. The very reason this is such a hot topic is because both sides can, and do, make great points. I will choose to remain open minded, and enjoy this interesting debate.

What's your take? Do you take Northrup's statement at face value, or do you think there maybe more at play behind the young man's actions?

- cmccloy

Filed under: Belief • Culture wars

1. JB

Good for him. Good for her. The only pathetic ones are those criticizing him for following the natural outgrowth of his indoctrination not to treat women in a way which might hurt them. For those that would criticize him for it, you are brainless, heartless louts whose principles are worthless.

February 19, 2011 at 3:29 am |
    • ann

hardly brainless or heartless , just think that he should have shown his respect for her wish to wrestle , her talent and her worth as an equal member of her wrestling squad .

February 23, 2011 at 9:09 am |
  2. Patrick Kiger

I don't see why this kid is so squeamish about wrestling a girl. My pre-teen son is a black belt in kung fu, and he spars with a girl all the time. She's the only other black belt his age. She's no pushover, either. She once offered to fight three older kids who were picking on her little brother. Girls may not have as much upper body strength as guys, but technique is just as important in wrestling, anyway.

February 19, 2011 at 1:59 am |
  3. Brian360

Granted this was a state tournament but it's surprising to hear that an issue like this still comes up considering how "liberalized" kids are these days. We had a girl on our high school wrestling team back in the late 80's who wanted to do it just because "it looked fun".

February 19, 2011 at 12:49 am |
  4. Reality

Once again, wrestling, unlike golf, swimming or running, is not a life-time sport and therefore should not be supported by tax-payers' money. Note that the life-time sports are gender neutral.

February 18, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Once again it is up to one of us to bring you back to Reality.

I am not one to use the kids as a hammer to a argument, but I would rather put money into a sport that gets kids up and out from watching TV to a activity that is physical and builds a sense of teamwork.

And you can take Golf...the sport of the rich and flush it down the toilet ....

...before we go "Tunisia" on your sport and the ones that play it. 🙂

February 19, 2011 at 1:35 am |
    • Reality

Obviously, Mark is as confused about life-time sports as he is about god but we are here to assist him once again.

With respect to golf:

See the directory of 16,000 public golf courses at http://www.publiccourses.com/

With respect to god:

The Apostles' Creed 2011: (updated based on the studies of historians and theologians during the past 200 years)

I might believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
      and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
      human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven.

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
      preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
      named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
      girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
      the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
      a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
      Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
      many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
      ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
      Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
      grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
      and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
      called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen

February 19, 2011 at 7:51 am |
  5. FRANK LEMBO

It's a classic "lose – lose" situation: If you lose = You got beat by a girl and if you win = Big deal so you beat a girl

February 18, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
  6. b harley

One more thing boy's have been taught all there lives not to hit girls don't be so rough with your sister now you expect him to against what he believes is morally wrong and bodyslam a girl. every who thinks he embarassed himself and the girl is a hypocrit

February 18, 2011 at 8:13 pm |

Great post b harley.

Next, we'll have terminator fights that morons will spend money to see.

Oh, wait, we already had that sport when the heathens cheered as they threw the Christians to the lions.

February 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • David Johnson

@HeavenSent

I'm curious.

Does God strongly desire that everyone, or almost everyone, believe that he exists?

I found these verses, which seem to indicate that god definitely does want everyone to believe He exists.
      Do you disagree?

John 3:16 (King James Version)
      16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Romans 10:9 (King James Version)
      9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

1 Timothy 2:4 (King James Version)
      4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Curious in Arizona

February 18, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

David, he does have a bit of point about if the nanny state drills into young boys brains "do not hit girls ,'do not hurt girls", I wonder will this type of a boy really give his best to win a match with a girl.

Is it that we are asking too much and too have it both ways from some one so young.

February 18, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Dave Johnson,His truth is (in short) ... either you believe in Jesus or you don't. The only way to know Jesus' truth is to read the letter He wrote all of us (the Bible). Those that believe, comprehend and abide in His truth live ... spiritually come alive while here on earth and then in the here after. Those that don't believe in Him are spiritually dead while walking on earth, are dry bones walking, then hopefully, right before they die,they will pray to Jesus, repent their sins, ask for His forgiveness.

Those that follow Jesus know this world is not about us, but that we love and follow Jesus.

Those that care less to follow Jesus haven't a clue if you don't follow His truth you follow satan's lies. There is no ifs, ands, or buts about this. We have 3 earth ages. God destroyed the 1st earth age due to 1/3 of the Angels following the lies of satan which is what Christians call sins of evil. To save all our souls, God erased our memories of Him and allowed us (gave us a 2nd chance to love and follow Him) to come down to earth being born of woman ... to either follow Jesus truth or follow satan's lies.

Then Jesus comes back again, destroys evil, and that's when those that were not destroyed live spiritually in the 3rd earth age.

February 21, 2011 at 1:49 am |
    • Smite Me

HeavenSent,

"...rather follow Jesus teachings throughout his life and when he dies and there is no hereafter, then he lost nothing but was a good person in life. But, if there is the eternal flames and he didn't follow Jesus' truth, then he's sunk."

What if the real "God" is Allah, or one of the thousands of other gods that people have worshipped. Any one of them will sink you for not believing in them. Many religions say that they are the ONLY way... they are a dime a dozen.

February 21, 2011 at 1:57 am |
    • The Truth

*** HeavenSent writes: Dave Johnson,His truth is (in short) ... either you believe in Jesus or you don't. The only way to know Jesus' truth is to read the letter He wrote all of us (the Bible)." ***

The Bible is riddled with errors and contradictions. Logic dictates that you believe one of the following:

1) God/Jesus wrote the Bible and are dolts who can't even get the order of creation correct, Jesus' final words correct, provided an impossible story as to how Jesus was born... and so on and so forth.

2) God/Jesus are of immense intelligence and therefore wouldn't have written a book filled with errors and contradictions.

*** "Those that don't believe in Him are spiritually dead while walking on earth, are dry bones walking" ***

It's quite amazing how the two of the richest men in the history of the world (Bill Gates and Warren Buffett) don't aren't believers and yet do AMAZING things for charity. But hey, I guess they are dry bones walking according to you.

*** "God then judges all based on whether we know Jesus' truth, comprehended what He wrote and implemented His truth into our lives." ****

WHO ARE YOU TO SPEAK ON BEHALF OF GOD? Talk about hubris. I suppose you are the only one that is privy to God's thoughts.

***"Now, you can scoff at His truth all you want ... but I do remember someone posted (I do not remember exactly what he said ... so here's my version of what he wrote) that he'd rather follow Jesus teachings throughout his life and when he dies and there is no hereafter, then he lost nothing but was a good person in life. But, if there is the eternal flames and he didn't follow Jesus' truth, then he's sunk."*****

This is called Pas-cal's Wager. It must be nice to worship Jesus/God for the reasoning that someone doesn't want to be sunk. I'm sure God loves that. There is also a philosophy which argues the opposite of Pas-cal's Wage

Peace.

February 21, 2011 at 2:37 am |
    • ann

this is too ridiculous , first of he isn't " beating up " a girl , he is wrestling , with it's rules and regulations . It's a sport , the size and proportion of his opponent should not matter .

February 23, 2011 at 9:05 am |
  7. Momofwrestler

I am the mom of a a male wrestler and next year, my ten year old daughter will be wrestling too. This is not about ethics or morals, this is about wrestling. My son will wrestle girls if they are in his bracket and he will not take it easy on them because they are a girl. I think it is insulting that he refused to wrestle this girl. She needs to earn her spot, not advance because of a forfeit. This isn't fair to her at all.

February 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I can tell Mom, you're a PROUD woman.

Not.

Another bozo that lives her life through her children. SNAP OUT OF IT WOMAN!

February 18, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
    • (B)iraq Hussein Osama

just be careful big mama. if you keep wrestling your little daughter with boys, soon you will end up 'wrestling' with the diapers of your 13-year old daughter's little unwanted baby.

February 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

While H.Sent is almost vulgar in response I do question your statement what your son will or will not do. You are sounding pretty obsessed, almost like a football father who beats his boy on the field for missing a tackle or a block. I am happy to hear that your daughter is going to wrestle but if she faces a boy with such a moral conviction to not wrestle a girl then there is not much you are going to be able to do about it.

It's basically impossible, no matter how much folks feel they can, shame or insult a person to changes his views. If anything this kid will wear the loss as a badge of honor to his faith and convections.

What you should do is to see if you can get your daughter and such a young man to date. Chances are you would have less worries than with some kids. Something tells me prom season coming up will have mothers and fathers throwing their daughters at this boy.

February 18, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
    • tallulah13

Momofwrestler: Good for you for teaching your children to treat other compet-itors equally, Equality begins with respect.

(if this is a double post, sorry.)

February 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  8. Cherry

This young man is certainly no coward! It took a great deal of bravado to stand up for his beliefs. Some of these comments are pretty outrageous! It doesn't surprise me at all that many would want to believe he was just afraid of losing to a female. So much for those who claim to be "pro-choice," huh? I guess one is allowed to choose just as long as it is the choice that those claiming to be pro-choice consider to be the right choice.

February 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
  9. b harley

Why isn't there a girl's division for her to compete the boys could seriously hurt her

February 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  10. Areyoulistening????

I don't give him wrong and i'm a girl. anyhow the game ends it does not make his socializing/teen years any better. If he wins they'll tease and scrutinize him for beating a girl and though it sounds stupid anytime he's arguing the person will say that he lashed a girl and if he does lose there's always going to be that you got beat by a girl and sad to say but true men just have that big ego thingy. And even if he does not care about what other ppl says about him getting beat by a girl he still loses the match so it's a lose-lose situation.

February 18, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Yes, beat those girls on the mat, then leave schools after being conditioned to beat women.

What are adults in our world thinking? I just answered my own question, they're not thinking.

February 18, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  11. Whatever

There to wrestle.

February 18, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
  12. Whatever

This guy is a jerk, plain and simple. it was all about him. She was their to wrestle and he just plain embarrassed himself and her. What a jerk!

February 18, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Yup, daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, whatever daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Moe Curly ... I tried to think, but nothing worked .... wooooooooo, woooooooooo.

February 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • atomD21

@Whatever... the kid has deeply held beliefs and it is his right to abide by them, just as you have the right to think he's a jerk. I agree that he could have done it a bit quieter and the media may not have found out.
      @Heavensent... What did that mindless comment accomplish? Seriously, belittling and attacking people is so very unChristlike. In fact, the only people Jesus really ever railed against were the holier than thous of his day, the pharisees.

February 19, 2011 at 12:46 am |
  13. Dave

The girl lost her next two matches showing that she isn't too great anyway. The boy keeps winning.

February 18, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Dave

Not true and not logical. The boy went on to win 1 and then lost so is out too. If the girl was not in the tournament, then a boy would would have had the same record (path through the brackets) as the girl. Would you be as critical of a boy with the same record in this event?

February 19, 2011 at 2:21 am |
  14. Dave

What kind of society would have boys beating up on girls??? And why aren't boys allowed to wrestle in all girl tournaments??? Wait until some girl gets a broken neck and see who gets sued. The female frame is not nearly as strong as a males and its going to happen.

February 18, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Our society is blindly following the ways of satan as they pit girls against boys, boys against girls, men against women (vice versa) and most are enticed by renouncing the Lord and forget ever to consider, never mind read His truth and believe in all the lies of this world.

End of days Dave, end of days as is written.

February 18, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • David Johnson

@HeavenSent

You said: "most are enticed by renouncing the Lord and forget ever to consider, never mind read His truth and believe in all the lies of this world."

What lies of this world? Be specific.

You said: "End of days Dave, end of days as is written."

Interesting. Why do you think it is end of days? Where is it written?

Please don't start pasting page after page of scripture. I won't read or respond to it.

Cheers!

February 18, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
    • pete

David Johnson-
      we don't usually see eye to eye on things, but this heaven sent guy is.....different. i'm guessing he thinks that women should be barefoot and in the kitchen

February 18, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • atomD21

So Heavensent, you must be privy to information Jesus didn't even have about the end of the world... And how is a high school wrestling match renouncing the Lord because a girl is involved? I respect the kid's choice to follow his convictions and forfeit, but the dialogue it's devolving into is not healthy or Christlike at all. It's not our job to point out everyone else's faults and act like we are perfect. We are supposed to love people and treat them how we want to be treated, per Jesus.

February 19, 2011 at 12:37 am |
    • David Johnson

@Pete

HeavenSent irritates me. He makes the most stupid comments I have ever read. You and I may not always agree, but I respect you.

Cheers!

February 19, 2011 at 7:35 am |
    • Something

I think that HeavenSent is female. I have an idea that she is keeping her gender under wraps to compete with the big boys on here. What guy would choose the name, HeavenSent? - it harkens back to an old, popular-with-teen-girls of yore, cologne - Heaven Scent (so that tells something about her age group too) not that it matters, really, just interesting.

Since I always try to be fair, maybe she should be commended, though, (aargh, did I just say that?) for not wanting deference to her femaleness in this mind wrestling match. She should stay in the lightweight (bubbleweight?) class, however.

February 19, 2011 at 12:58 pm |

David Johnson,

Here’s one set of scriptures for you. Of course, there are many more in all 66 books of the Bible. Read His truth for yourself if you doubt that end of days is written throughout.

Plus David, you assume you know something about me for someone who has never met me.

1 John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

1 John 2:16 For all that [is] in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

1 John 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

atomD21,

I wrote before, thank God this girl has not had to deal with an injury. We’d be blogging about something else if it did befall her.

As far as Jesus’ truth, He told us that men and women have different roles in life. I suppose you only read what you want to read when it suits your posts.

Something,

You are right when you wrote BIG BOYS and not men.

February 21, 2011 at 1:25 am |
    • ann

please get a grip . When you get on the mat , as a wrestler , your thoughts should be on how to pin this opponent , not on how their body may feel . I f you can't focus on the task at hand then you shouldn't be in this particular sport . The girls who get in to these intergrated sports know what they are getting into , they are not asking for special treatment and I doubt you could find one incident where a lawsuit insued .

February 23, 2011 at 8:53 am |
  15. pat

IT'S CAUSE HE'S AFRAID HE'LL GET BEAT!!!

February 18, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Doejowns

It's probably because he believes men should not put their hands all over women who are not their wives. But that's not the point. In fact, he can't win. If he beats her, so what...he beat a girl. If he loses, he's the object of scorn. Why are any young men being put in this situation...because towns don't offer women's wrestling? THat's not the boys' fault.

February 18, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Doejowns, maybe because the coaches and athletic departments suits got knocked in the head too many times.

I can't imagine what these so-called adults are thinking in today's world besides money, fame, greed! At the expense of our youths.

February 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • Smite Me

HeavenSent,

"Pete, if I wrote what you’ve written, it would be blocked by the mod squad on this site. Funny, how non-believers post are all printed."

I have seen you write things like that, and worse, again and again and again. You know exactly why things don't make it past the auto-filter, you poor, pathetic, paranoid pudding brain.

February 21, 2011 at 1:47 am |
    • Smite Me

sorry... posted in wrong spot.... should be down one.

February 21, 2011 at 1:50 am |
  16. Ju Mordecai

Two words why women shouldn't be where men should only tread, 'Lisa Logan'.

February 18, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • atomD21

Hey, the 13th Century called, they'd like their views on women back.

February 19, 2011 at 12:38 am |
  17. HotAirAce

If he didn't like the rules allowing the possibility of being matched against a girl, he should not have entered. Having entered, he did the right thing for himself, but not for the sport/event.

February 18, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Hot Air ... duce! Or, was that meant to be dunce?

February 18, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@HeavenSent

Do you have an intelligent comment, or want to point out why you appear to disagree with my statement? Or are you just the latest brive-by-blogger bible thumper incapable of a rational discussion?

February 19, 2011 at 1:39 am |
    • HeavenSent

HotAirAce, the blog squad won't allow my response to you be printed.

Just as well, for I believe you can't handle the Truth.

February 21, 2011 at 1:04 am |
    • The Truth

***"HeavenSent writes: "Hot Air ... duce! Or, was that meant to be dunce?"***

LOL... name calling? Very Christians of you indeed. Perhaps you can refer to the part of the Bible where Jesus instructs his followers to call other people names. After all, from reading your posts here, it appears as if you engage in this practice this quite often.

***HotAirAce, the blog squad won't allow my response to you be printed.***

Well, I guess Jesus/God doesn't want your comments published because if he did, surely they wouldn't have been declined. Classic.

Peace!

February 21, 2011 at 1:14 am |
  18. Hannah

I am a female wrestler. Whether or not I step on the wresting mat is my choice, just like it is for many other girls. But when I get on the mat I'm not "just a girl" I'm a wrestler. We know the dangers of competing in a so-called "guys sport" and don't need to me reminded constantly by ignorant people. I've had many people forfeit to matches to me because I am a girl. It is very infuriating because the boy is the one who can't step to the plate and accept that a girl can survive in the sport of wrestling. I think that the forfeit should have not been a default, because she had every right to be there just like the boys. If a boy had forfeited to another guy it would not have been a default. I admire the way she has handled the rude remarks and cannot say for myself that i would be as graceful. YOU GO GIRL:)

February 18, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • T-man

Hannah,

First I want to congratulate you on taking up the sport of wrestling. As someone who spent many years as a wrestler in the state of Iowa, I understand the challenges and demands of the sport. I understand the frustration you must feel when an opponent choses not to compete against you. However, you must remember, you chose to participate in a traditionally boy's sport against boys. They on the other hand also need to be offered the same choice when it comes to participating against girls with the same respect. There will be times when you may not like the outcome, but unless you are also in their same situation, which you are not, you can't possibly understand the reasons why. Oh, and they have nothing to do with you personally. In the meantime, good luck and enjoy the opportunity to compete in the greatest sport there is, it will be over before you know it.

February 18, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Remind yourself of your mantra to your injured body in the next few years as you start your family and have to care for all their needs as children. That's a lot of bending to pick up or put the child back down, running after them because they have more energy than mom and dad. Huff, huff, ouch, ouch as you'll be just like older and wiser athletes who have bulging veins in their legs, metal pins in their joints, back, neck, arm, legs, feet (to name a few) injuries, injuries, injuries that will be with them the remainder of their days while living on this earth.

Every athlete (man or women) has their memories (ouch) of their earlier days in sports. Everything we do to our bodies ... is remembered to all of us as we age.

But, your young and won't know this until a few years down the road.

Remember my posting the first time you pick your fussing baby up in the middle of the night in their crib ... as you bend over (ouch) and remember that day on the mat that you would give anything not to have had that match.

February 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
    • pete

heaven sent-
      really? why the babies thing. do you have children? if you do, is your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend the only one picking the child up? i pick my child up out of the crib all the time. i played sports in high school and continue to play sports (old man leagues). why because she is a woman is her playing sports going to make picking up her child worse for my wife than it would be for me?

February 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • Papa

@HeavenSent – Really?? Really?? Wow, I just can't even put into words how ridiculous your comment is. She isn't going into combat across enemy lines. Of course there are some risks, I have one son who plays football and wrestles who heads to surgery next week for a football injury that got aggrivated during this wrestling season...but I see no reason it will make it difficult for him to pick up his future kids.
      @Hannah – Keep up the good work, and don't small minded people make you feel any less of an athlete than you truly are! It's girls like you that inspire my daughter most...who is going out for wrestling next year.

February 18, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
    • atomD21

@Hannah... You keep doing what you love, ignore people like Heavensent who apparently know all there is to know about everything.
      @Heavensent... I cannot believe you with your holier than thou comment. Just because she chooses to wrestle in High School does not inherently mean she will be disabled in life later and therefore unable to take care of her children (is she chooses to have any, it's up to her). Now if you had come on here and provided a word of caution based on experience, that would have been fine, but to attack a high school girl you do not know just because you disagree with her choice of sport.

February 19, 2011 at 12:24 am |
    • Jane Doe

I respect your decision to wrestle, but let's look at it from the guy's point of view. Maybe he really just feels uncomfortable with potentially touching parts of a girls body that he is not comfortable touching. Can he not have his own personal convictions? You expect people to understand and respect your decision to wrestle, so you must also understand and respect a guy's wish to not compete with a girl. I doubt it has anything to do with him seeing the female wrestler as less than or incapable of having a good match.

February 20, 2011 at 12:41 am |
    • HeavenSent

To all the babblemouths who wrote me. First, thank God the girl has not been injured as of this writing. What will any of you say if in her future she is permanently injured? Oh well? She had a good run.

Ridiculous for all those that think only about today, what's in it for you ... instead of realizing there are many more years to come.

February 21, 2011 at 12:59 am |
  19. HeavenSent

God Bless you Joel Northrup for trusting His truth.

February 18, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  20. taruth

wrestling is one of the gayest sports out there – i think that says it all

February 18, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • (B)iraq Hussein Osama

He should convert to Islam. If he wants separate activities for men and women. Here in Christiandom Men and Women are EQUAL. except women have to bear children and nurture them and have monthly periods. Other than this small minor inconvenience MEN = WOMEN. So, buddy, you don't want to wrestle women, then get out of christiandom and become a MOSLEM. Here everything is good, gay, po-rn, adultery, men wrestling women, all HALLELUJAH. LORD JESUS, BLESS US WITH SOME HALLELUJAH.

February 18, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • T-man

I was wondering how long it would take for a truly ignorant comment like this one to be made about wrestling. 16 minutes from the time the article was posted, and the first one at that.

February 18, 2011 at 7:17 pm |