home
RSS
February 21st, 2011

Prayers from the air

By Jim Spellman, CNN

Colorado Springs, Colorado (CNN) — They call Colorado Springs “Little Jerusalem” for good reason.

Christian churches from mega to micro dot this city nestled against the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, and prayer is an integral part of the lives of many of the worshipers who fill those pews.

Most prayers start on the ground and are sent heavenward. But helicopter pilot Will Sanders is taking prayer to the air by flying pastors up to the skies to pray down on the people below.

“I believe prayer works, and I want to take prayer warriors up to pray for their community. Inspire them to see it from a different angle, from a different view,” he said.

Sanders earns a living running Colorado Vertical, giving tours of the area in his Raven II four-seat helicopter. About once a month he opens his chopper up to local pastors, who fly over their churches and areas of the city they think are experiencing hardship and pray for them.

“Pastors know their areas, they know where people are hurting, where people need prayer, where people need help, and I can take them over those areas,” Sanders says.

He says that flying is a profoundly spiritual experience.

Helicopter pilot Will Sanders takes local pastors up in the air to pray over Colorado Springs.

“I see God’s creation. I do believe God created this world, and I see that in nature. When I fly I see the fingerprints of God.”

On a sunny winter day, he meets two pastors from Vanguard Church, Alan Briggs and Jonathan Madrid. It’s Briggs’ third trip and Madrid’s first. As evangelical Christians, they said prayer is an essential part of their faith.

“I care so much for our city that I’ll do anything, and so just starting with prayer is what I think we need to do,” Briggs said.

“I think the first thing we need to be doing as a city, as a body of believers, is to get down on our knees and pray,” Madrid said.

Sanders with pastors Jonathan Madrid, left, and Alan Briggs of Vanguard Church in Colorado Springs.

The tower clears the helicopter for takeoff, and a few minutes later we are cruising over the city. The prayers fly over the tinny audio of the headset microphones, with Briggs and Madrid taking turns.

“We pray that you bring the needs of the city to these churches that they may be able to help.”

“We pray that you bring this city together.”

“We pray for the Air Force Academy and Fort Carson.”

“We pray over this land that it would be dedicated to you.”

“Lord I pray for the high schools in our city, that your light may shine in those schools.”

We bank to the left and pass over the offices of The Independent, an alternative free weekly newspaper that has been critical of the evangelical community.

A minute later, after a bit of quiet, he adds, “That we would be marked by our love and not by our judgment.”

Sanders heads west towards Garden of the Gods - a stunning orange rock formation popular with hikers. Pikes Peak is clearly visible to the south.

“Lord, when people see Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods, I pray we would see you.”

We head back toward downtown, and Briggs turns to me to ask if it would be OK if he prays for me. I give him the thumbs up.

“Lord, we pray for Jim and getting to meet him today. I pray that you give him protection, that you keep the hand of safety on him,” he said.

As the airport comes back into sight, the pastors get in as many prayers as possible before we land.

“I pray you would drive out the spirit of consumerism in our city.”

“Lord I pray for more Spanish speaking churches.”

“We pray for military families to be taken care of.”

The voice of an air traffic controller interrupts the flow of prayers and clears us to land.

The cockpit is quiet as we gently touch down.

Back on the ground, Madrid is smiling widely.

“It was great. A different perspective for sure. As I saw the city, so many things came to me,” he said.

“It just gives you a whole new perspective on people, I think. You see these different areas of the city that you never would have thought to even pray for before, so I think praying from a different view is huge. I think it’s awesome and we’re blessed to be able to do that sort of thing.”

The pastors head back to their church as Sanders shuts down the helicopter.

“I was given a gift. I’ve been so blessed. How many people have a helicopter?” Sanders said. “I do believe in the power of prayer, and I want to cover this whole community with it”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Colorado • Pastors • United States

1. ScottK

"an alternative free weekly newspaper that has been critical of the evangelical community."
    “We pray for The Independent and particularly publisher John Weiss. We pray for a partnership between such a sometimes hateful organization,” Briggs says."

Yeah, and theres nothing hateful at all about priests & preachers telling their parishioners that G ays, Muslims, Athiests and anyone else who does not accept Christ as their Lord will burn in agony for eternity.

Oh, and by the way, going up in the air to pray "down"? Who are these prayers supposed to be going to? Which "G od" are they worshiping? Because I know which of the invisible Christian "g ods" is supposed to be that direction and it isn't Christ.

February 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  2. Seen it before

Empty prayers by empty-headed religious nuts. What a shock.

February 21, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • How Original

Must be a burden being smarter than everyone else.

February 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  3. Steve (the real one)

Gingeet
    Steve, I've already answered you "No" I've never prayed for anything and I told you why? Look who's
    "tap dancing"? Stay delusional if you want but you have to face the facts sooner or later?
    -------
    Yes you did answer my question and sorry I missed it. Please read my reply!

February 21, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  4. Moravian

Will God accept the bill for fuel and operating costs?? Ask him at God@heaven.gov

February 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

Moravian
      -----
      .Gov? No No No! Separation of church and state , right? That is your favorite chant, is it not? know you are trying to be funny, me to, yet there is some truth to my humor!

February 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • ScottK

They keep talking about the "Kingdom" of God in their book, sounds like a government to me...

February 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

@ScottK
      ------–
      Very much a government, just not one lead by a republican, democrat or any other human being! Not separation of church and state in that government!

February 21, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  5. Gingeet

February 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  6. Lanfear

This website is the true answer to all of your prayers 😉

February 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • How Original

February 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Lanfear

Ahh... so that's why God won't let amputees limbs grow back. Because there's already a Church group devoted to fitting them with prosthetic body parts... how could I be so stupid!!!!

February 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Wastesoflife

God works through people. When you look for giant eye-popping miracles, you're looking for the wrong thing. Wondrous things happen around you everyday, you just need to open your eyes.

February 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • cm

Hey Lanfear why do you feel amputees need to be healed? Are you saying only whole human beings are worthy of experiencing life? Maybe its not about them, but you.

February 21, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  7. Steve (the real one)

David, I think I might have misunderstood your post. I apologize!

February 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  8. becca

great that he wants to use his helicoptor and flying knowledge to help others.

February 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  9. Denizen Kate

Good grief! All the name-calling on both sides of this issue is truly stunning!

As an atheist, I don't believe in the imaginary friend for grown-ups, but I also don't see the harm in prayer. If it comforts you in an uncomfortable world, why not? It shouldn't bother anyone else.

Also, for those many here who seem to think that believers are all idiots: why, then you must believe that more than 95% of the world's population are idiots, because that's the percentage who believe in a supreme being in one form or another. The only times that I have a problem with that is when it affects political or social policy that in turn has an effect on my way of life. Belief should be a private matter between you and your god, and it should have absolutely no effect on anyone else.

February 21, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • How Original

From a believer Kate, thanks for being a voice of reason. Live and let live.

February 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Igor

"I don't believe in the imaginary friend for grown-ups, "

I must say it's a bit ironic that this very statement is usually viewed as name calling and intolerant by ardent believers. But you are right, no matter how stupid a belief, I always adamantly advocate for that person's right to hold it privately without trying to influence real world decisions and policies. But if you tell me something that just sounds idiotic, then (and I am not socially and culturally insensitive so this is not a rule of the thumb) I will call you out on it.

Nor do I think believers are idiots. Some very intelligent people have a spiritual/religious side, although that often requires them to reach some internal compromise or justification. I suppose my biggest problem is that when a grown up man comes up to me and says that he believes in a personal male deity that answers his requests I am supposed to refrain from criticism. But if that same person thinks aliens are monitoring him via a dental filling it's OK to classify that person as crazy.

February 21, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  10. helicopters use scientific principles to fly

they should try flying the helicopter without an engine or fuel – then I might be impressed. meh.

February 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
  11. Karloff

More utter nonsense.

February 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  12. kso

@ R.O., are you in 4th grade? Evolution is proven by the flipping bones that exist all over the world. Not having an understanding of that because you've believed in Genesis your whole life is your own fault.

Faith in evolution based on the entirety of evidence that is unilateral and congruent around the world is not faith—it's reality.

Christianity only offers hope to those who have opted out on basic information, and gives them tales of people living in whales and global floods that kill all the animals in the {flooded} water. What a joke.

If you want to look at all the bones of every being that EVER walked upright, you always have the option. The fact that you have opted out by evidence of your response only shows your own bias.

Jesus rode a dinosaur.

February 21, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • How Original

Plenty of Christians believe in evolution. I certainly don't believe the world in 4,000 years old, or that everything was created in seven days. Religious texts of all major religions are rife with metaphors and allegory. Besides, what's more incredible, that an omnipotent being simply pointed his finger somewhere and *poof* an animal, or that said omnipotent being set in motion a system that functioned on its own.

February 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • airwx

Your blanket catagorisation that all Christians must not believe in evolution points to your own bias. It would take a textbook sized blog to explain that what you have read in modern translations of Genisis is woefully lacking in the richness of detail that you will find in the original language. Most "fundies" would have an equally shocking wake-up as you would. I do not ask you to take my word for it. Find a good professor who can translate Genisis back into Chaldean for you. Pay attention to the most primative roots of the words. You will see an amazing difference.

February 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  13. James

Why is this blog so very heavily into the monotheistic, dominator, power-over religions?

February 21, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  14. cm

Oh I see the atheist trolls are still running amuck here. Go plague your own social media sites.

February 21, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • How Original

must be hard repeating yourself every time an article on religion pops up on the web

February 21, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • kso

February 21, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Bus2

You claim that a god character exists, and that's permissible, yet when we claim that a god character DOESN'T exist, we must be trolling? Bit of a double-standard, eh?

February 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • rich

February 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • cm

Yes, How Orig. I am like a broken records and to you Bus2 what is at the core of this blog??? Beliefs...not lack there of. As I said go connect with like-minded bloggers.

February 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  15. david

Atheists come and attack here b/c they trust in man's theories like the big bang, however the big bang has a lot of problems from the start. it starts with billions of years of space dust and energy colliding in space causing the big bang, but they never ask where the space duct came from, or energy (law of the conservation of energy) or where did space come from? Being cornered the smartest atheist of all, dawkins said that maybe aliens created it. Thats as smart as an answer you can get from them. We can ask them where did aliens come from but all one can expect is a answer full of stupidity.

Then there are some who blame God, if God is so good then why is there so much evil? That is easy question- God made fresh food, man poisons it, God made fresh water, man pollutes it. God made little babies, man kills them. Man is so much to blame that if you imagine this earth without humans on it , we would see a lush paradise. The problem is with men not God.
    The honest atheist will admit they are part of the problem as well for they have at some time hurt someone in their lives.

Then they go on and blame religion, but being block heads they do not separate Christians from other religions. Salvation army provides shelter , food, job placement programs, World vision, compassion international, Canadian food for the hungry etc , provide food and medical attention for starving children. But they want all religion to be evil for they do not want to change their thinking- it would be too much of a stretch. Yes, some religions are evil but Christianity is about God's love and forgiveness which we see in reality for God is not raining hail on the atheist constantly, He allows them to experience blessings so they can see God is good.

The big bang theory was made by a mere man and I trust in the Bible for it was inspired by God.

February 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • kso

nuff said

February 21, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • Lanfear

I think most Athiests don't come here to "attack". They simply do it to debunk your religion. Fact finding, some might call it. That's why many Athiests will know more about your religion than you do, because they've studied it, read the bible, etc.

February 21, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • sandi

I agree. What we have here is a bunch of athiests trying to convince the world there is no God. Well, there is a God. I know. He has helped me and my family through prayer. Yes, I believe. And to you athiests I will say God Bless you.

February 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Joe

funny david, i don't know what "scientists" you're hearing from about the big bang, but all the ones I've read say they don't know where the matter/energy came from that started the big bang, or why the big bang happened, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY they are working on this. they don't avoid this question – they actually often say they really want to figure this out and unlike religioius idiots, they get to work to figure it out rather than just say "god done it". we should have kept saying "god done it" about lightening because hey, who needed to discover electricity when people already knew "god done it"? ridiculous.

February 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • ScottK

"but they never ask where the space duct came from, or energy (law of the conservation of energy) or where did space come from?"

Actually, they do ask that question and wrestle with trying to get more data as to come up with a possible scientific theory (which as you may not know is different than a religious theory). Christians on the other hand don't need to ask the question since their handy little book answers it for them, so simple. And of course they don't like to dwell on the question of "Where did G od come from" because that starts all kinds of headaches unless they just answer "He's always existed" which apparently is more believable to them than answering the above question about where the space dust came from by saying "Its always existed" but that would be to hard for them to comprehend.

February 21, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • rich

@ sandi – I bet you never had an atheist knock on your door on a Saturday morning trying to convert you; I’ve had christians knock on mine.

February 21, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  16. Refuge

Why discard, what you cannot understand. and if you do believe in prayer, but see no results to you,, then question why do you pray. communication folks, not easy answers. read it for yourselfs, make your request know to him, and trust. now wrap your head around that. dont comment, unless you have wisdom.

February 21, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  17. rich

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
    – Robert Pirsig

February 21, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • How Original

Right, obviously we need to take Robert Pirsig's opinion as indisputable evidence that there is no god. Think for yourself man!

February 21, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Ryan

Wow, Evolution must be a big religious delusion to be taught in schools across America and Europe. After all, it has no facts to back it up, so it must be taken on a "delusional" faith, right?

February 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • rich

@ How Original – You are right; we don't need Robert Pirsig's opinion as indisputable evidence that there is no god.

February 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Lanfear

@How Original: Lol... the onus is on you to prove that God exists. Besides, there are already enough proofs that God doesn't exist. Not one fact to say the contrary though.

February 21, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  18. R.O.

Evolution vs creation, both are taken on faith. Neither can be proven through science because the scientific method can only be applied to observable phenomena. Macro evolution has never been observed. Creation has never been observed. Micro evolution is just the appearance of dominate and recessive traits in the genetic code. We can present evidence, but evidence never speaks for itself. It is always up for interpretation and subject to personal bias.

One example is carbon dating. Through carbon dating we know the earth is millions of years old. Someone may say this doesn't hold to the 10,000 year old earth Christian view. But I disagree. According to the story of creation, Adam was created as a man, not a baby or embryo. Though he be an hour old, he had the appearance of age. It stands to reason the earth and stars were created with the appearance of age as well. It all depends on how you look at it and which bias you hold.

Christianity is attractive because it offers hope. A man can endure significantly more with hope than without it. So you believe Christianity it is a fairytale, a crutch for the weak. Let them believe. Their belief in a God who created the world has no bearing or effect on you.

My point: Their faith in God mirrors your faith that there isn’t one. Your faith in evolution mirrors their faith in creation. Both views are taken on faith. It all comes down to which one you want to believe in. Are you a life created by God for a purpose or just the latest random mutation in a long sequence of unquestionably favorable probability?

February 21, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • Debbie

Wrong. I suggest you read Richard Dawkins' Book "The Greatest Show On Earth: The Evidence for Evolution." It completely destroys the vapid arguments about how there's no physical evidence for evolution. You will see specific, detailed information of incontrovertible evidence.

If that isn't enough, the court of law in Dover, PA heard the arguments from both sides to see if creationism should be taught alongside evolution. The creationists could not present one single argument that held up in a court of law. Not one. The evolutionists spent two days presenting physical evidence.

February 21, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Ryan

I agree with R.O. on most counts. Science can be applied to observable phenomenon, like gravity, aging, sound, and physics. Evolution cannot be observed, and neither can Creation, which is why they both require faith to go on. Thus, atheists who believe in Evolution are technically religious nuts as well.
      One are I disagree with is carbon dating, which was disproven in the 1990s. For example, a small rock about the size of a big shoe taken from Mount Saint Helens in Washington was split in three and sent to three different carbon dating labs. The rock was said to be three different ages, ranging over one hundred million years. One place even dated the rock before the Earth supposedly started forming 323 million years ago. The problem lies in the fact that the carbon decays at a different rate depending upon conditions such as temperature, humidity, weather (being exposed or not being exposed to weather as well), pressure, etc. Carbon dating cannot be used accurately to date stuff.

February 21, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Lanfear

I don't believe in God, but I do agree that it offers hope to many people. Especially in time of tragedy... if praying to "God" is what helps someone gets by, then all the power to them.

February 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • NotEvenClose

Uhh.......try again. There are simply so many inaccuracies and misleading partial truths in what you wrote that it wouldn't be worth my time to point them all out to you and show you where you were wrong. Please get a book on philosophy of science and learn how the scientific method is actually applied before you state that the theory of evolution and religious belief are of equivalent validity. I'll just say that one could accurately state that a belief in the value of observation and the application of logical thought, as well as an openness to reconsider and refine theory in the face of new evidence underpins all scientific theories. You cannot say that religious belief is equivalent to this approach, as it claims to have ultimate, unalterable knowledge, unsubstantiated from any externally verifiable source (even as its adherents treat their sacred texts and dogmas as a smorgasbord to pick and choose as they wish).

February 21, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • nonsense

This is quite possibly one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Didn't your high school have a Biology requirement? Do yourself a favor and at least enroll in a Critical Thinking class at your local community college.

For an adult to be so ignorant on really basic science is sad and really a testament to how the modern Church has survived. Pull the wool over the eyes of their "flock".

February 21, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Bus2

Show me a person who claims that evolution "must be taken on faith", and I'll show you a person who probably flunked grade school biology.

February 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Joe

R.O. there are so many blunders in your post i don't know where to begin. evolution is a fact NOT taken on faith, just like the earth orbits the sun is a fact even if it can't be directly observed, because it is backed up by a staggering amount of evidence. go look it up on the US National Academy of Sciences site for god's sake:

Macro evolution CANNOT be directly observed because it usually takes many thousands of years. think for a moment. if macro evolution really does occur and takes thousands of years, it is ridiculous to expect a human who lives <100 years to directly observe it. but just like heliocentricity and atoms, just because u can't directly observe them does not mean they don't leave lots of evidence u can test for, and if those tests are confirmed, it's totally reasonable to believe the theory (e.g. evolution, atomic theory, etc.)

And carbon dating does NOT tell us the earth is million of years old. this is another example of why we shouldn't listen to a damned word u have to say about science – because you are scientifically illiterate. u wouldn't say something like this if u had actually done any learning and research. carbon dating is only good for measure the age of things that are in the order of thousands of years old. we need other radiometric clocks for measuring millions of years. go read a book!

and people's beliefs inform their actions, actions affect us all, so we SHOULD care about people's beliefs.

No, i'm not just a random mutation. I, like u, are incredible products of mutation AND NON-RANDOM natural selection, and we make purpose for ourselves. what free will do u have if you're just a puppet assigned a purpose from someone else?

February 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • ScottK

@Ryan – "The rock was said to be three different ages, ranging over one hundred million years. One place even dated the rock before the Earth supposedly started forming 323 million years ago." Do just a smidge of research before you make such an obviously uninformed statement.

"The age of the Earth is 4.54 billion years (4.54 × 109 years ± 1%).[1][2][3] This age is based on evidence from radiometric age dating of meteorite material and is consistent with the ages of the oldest-known terrestrial and lunar samples. Following the scientific revolution and the development of radiometric age dating, measurements of lead in uranium-rich minerals showed that some were in excess of a billion years old.[4] The oldest such minerals analyzed to date – small crystals of zircon from the Jack Hills of Western Australia – are at least 4.404 billion years old" Wiki (also found on numerous other research sites & University reasearch papers).

February 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Starman

R.O. I feel sorry for poor T-REX. Apparently God felt he wasn't good enough for the ARC so he died. All we have is creationist images of Jesus and man ridding him with his saddle before the flood... because of course the two had to exist at the same time. Lets bow our head and pray for poor t-rex.

February 21, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  19. guestor

oh, great!.....more "Christianity" as entertainment, circus-act, and side-show combined! The unbelievers here don't bother me much, but professing Christians who think this is in line with Biblical Christianity are woefully ill-informed–an understandable state in view of what passes for "church" today. Yeah, that's a real blessing to all those on the ground who are hungry, unemployed, incarcerated, and ill....Imagine that someone sold his multi-million dollar helicopter and 2 "pastors" spent their time as "servants" (which is what pastors should be) ministering the Gospel to those in need rather than posing for CNN nonsense.......imagine it, cuz you'll rarely actually see it.

February 21, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • airwx

I agree with the concept of pastors as servants. I know....because I serve as "vacation/holiday/sick day relief" for the pastor of our church and have done so for other pastors. I had to take vaction time to cover for them to do all that they do in a week. I would be handling calls for 10 visits to the sick in a 25 mile radius of the church, hospital visits for 12 more in 2 counties, rehab visits, counselling for drug and alcohol addiction, marriage counselling (so far we're up to more than 40 hours of work) and then need to wrire the sermon, get the bulletin published, conduct 2 worship services and attend 8 commitee meetings. And that was a quiet week!!! I've seen the job of a pastor...if these guys geta free helicopter ride in the deal...good for them!!!

February 21, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  20. Doc Vestibule

On weekends, I take a local Shaman up in my single engine Cessna and have him sacrifice a goat to Ba'al. He know the neighbourhood well, so I leave it to him to sprinkle the blood and entrails over the homes of those who truly need divine intervention.

But to really please the Abrahamic God, we would need to find a town full of heathens and burn it to the ground, killing everybody as per the instructions in Deuteronomy 13:13-19.
    Or perhaps we can curry the Lord's favour by burning whoever first comes in the door in His name, even if it's your own daughter, just like Jephthah in Judges 11:29.

Boy, it sure can get complicated figuring out who God wants us to kill and when!

February 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Dan

The "Abrahamic God," as you term him, has already been satisfied by the sacrifice of his son, Jesus Christ.

February 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • Debbie

If this were Huffington Post, I'd Fan & Fave you!!!

February 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • fsmgroupie

when in doubt tell your own child that you are going to kill him just like abraham did. that always makes god happy.

February 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • Joe

Doc Vestibule, that is hilarious. yes, it is hard to figure out which i should first. there are just so many commandments in the almighty holy book that i haven't gotten to, like stoning my unruly child, sacrificing animals, taking slaves, let alone planning genocide. hail the almighty, great moral teacher, Yahweh!

February 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Joe

i accidentally hit "report abuse" on Dan when i meant to "reply". oops... well, everything has a purpose – it must have been the lord's will.

everyone, Dan is right! god is no longer blood thirsty like he was over 2000 years ago. he came down and had himself tortured to save us all. maybe i should take after this morally superior god, and when i see my children sin, i'll have myself tortured because hey, that's totally rational that'll make up for their wrongdoing.

Oh wait, the lord is now telling me i'm not a god and jesus already suffered for us... oh, it makes perfect sense now. only if you're a god then having yourself tortured will make amends for other people's wrongdoing. those people trying to make amends to those they wronged is never enough and even unnecessary. thank u lord for your wisdom.

February 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • ChristianC

I believe the prophet Isaiah had you in mind when he wrote "Yes, all shall be put to shame and disgrace who vent their anger against you (the people of God); those shall perish and come to nought who offer resistance. You shall seek out but shall not find, those who strive against you. They shall be as nothing at all who do battle with you". Isaiah41:11-12.

February 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm |