home
RSS
February 21st, 2011

Prayers from the air

By Jim Spellman, CNN

Colorado Springs, Colorado (CNN) — They call Colorado Springs “Little Jerusalem” for good reason.

Christian churches from mega to micro dot this city nestled against the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, and prayer is an integral part of the lives of many of the worshipers who fill those pews.

Most prayers start on the ground and are sent heavenward. But helicopter pilot Will Sanders is taking prayer to the air by flying pastors up to the skies to pray down on the people below.

“I believe prayer works, and I want to take prayer warriors up to pray for their community. Inspire them to see it from a different angle, from a different view,” he said.

Sanders earns a living running Colorado Vertical, giving tours of the area in his Raven II four-seat helicopter. About once a month he opens his chopper up to local pastors, who fly over their churches and areas of the city they think are experiencing hardship and pray for them.

“Pastors know their areas, they know where people are hurting, where people need prayer, where people need help, and I can take them over those areas,” Sanders says.

He says that flying is a profoundly spiritual experience.

Helicopter pilot Will Sanders takes local pastors up in the air to pray over Colorado Springs.

“I see God’s creation. I do believe God created this world, and I see that in nature. When I fly I see the fingerprints of God.”

On a sunny winter day, he meets two pastors from Vanguard Church, Alan Briggs and Jonathan Madrid. It’s Briggs’ third trip and Madrid’s first. As evangelical Christians, they said prayer is an essential part of their faith.

“I care so much for our city that I’ll do anything, and so just starting with prayer is what I think we need to do,” Briggs said.

“I think the first thing we need to be doing as a city, as a body of believers, is to get down on our knees and pray,” Madrid said.

Sanders with pastors Jonathan Madrid, left, and Alan Briggs of Vanguard Church in Colorado Springs.

The tower clears the helicopter for takeoff, and a few minutes later we are cruising over the city. The prayers fly over the tinny audio of the headset microphones, with Briggs and Madrid taking turns.

“We pray that you bring the needs of the city to these churches that they may be able to help.”

“We pray that you bring this city together.”

“We pray for the Air Force Academy and Fort Carson.”

“We pray over this land that it would be dedicated to you.”

“Lord I pray for the high schools in our city, that your light may shine in those schools.”

We bank to the left and pass over the offices of The Independent, an alternative free weekly newspaper that has been critical of the evangelical community.

“We pray for The Independent and particularly publisher John Weiss. We pray for a partnership between such a sometimes hateful organization,” Briggs says.

A minute later, after a bit of quiet, he adds, “That we would be marked by our love and not by our judgment.”

Sanders heads west towards Garden of the Gods - a stunning orange rock formation popular with hikers. Pikes Peak is clearly visible to the south.

“Lord, when people see Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods, I pray we would see you.”

We head back toward downtown, and Briggs turns to me to ask if it would be OK if he prays for me. I give him the thumbs up.

“Lord, we pray for Jim and getting to meet him today. I pray that you give him protection, that you keep the hand of safety on him,” he said.

As the airport comes back into sight, the pastors get in as many prayers as possible before we land.

“I pray you would drive out the spirit of consumerism in our city.”

“Lord I pray for more Spanish speaking churches.”

“We pray for military families to be taken care of.”

The voice of an air traffic controller interrupts the flow of prayers and clears us to land.

The cockpit is quiet as we gently touch down.

Back on the ground, Madrid is smiling widely.

“It was great. A different perspective for sure. As I saw the city, so many things came to me,” he said.

“It just gives you a whole new perspective on people, I think. You see these different areas of the city that you never would have thought to even pray for before, so I think praying from a different view is huge. I think it’s awesome and we’re blessed to be able to do that sort of thing.”

The pastors head back to their church as Sanders shuts down the helicopter.

“I was given a gift. I’ve been so blessed. How many people have a helicopter?” Sanders said. “I do believe in the power of prayer, and I want to cover this whole community with it”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Colorado • Pastors • United States

1. Steve (the real one)

Sy2502
    To all the Christians here who believe in prayer, I have a question: If there really are important issues that need god's attention, why do you need to tell him to do something about it? Shouldn't he already know?
    --------–
    Excellent question. Here are my words to another poster! Maybe this will help a little!

God knows what we have need of,yet He wants us to ask. Asking re-enforces the idea of relationship with Him. The benefit of asking is ours and not God's! Asking proves to us that we can trust him. Yet there are conditions to answered prayers:
    1. Asking in Jesus name
    2. Faith
    3. In accordance to His will (I just added this one)

We can talk about it if you have further questions. In short God knows, He invites us to ask Him and unload our issues on Him! That is the Love of God!

February 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • rich

Your god seems insecure.

February 21, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • BusyPerson

Try and make me believe prayer doesn't work..Several years ago I lost the diamond out of my wedding ring. Not the whole ring, just the diamond. After several days of looking everywhere, including the softball field that I had been at to watch my daughter’s game, I cried and asked Jesus to please help. The next day I went to the softball field, parted the grass, looked down and saw something shinny. I picked it up and it was my diamond. Needle in a haystack? Worse. After that there was never a time that I didn’t believe.

February 21, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

rich
      Your god seems insecure.
      ------–
      Not at all. It is called relationship and communication. That is something the insecure don't do very well!

February 21, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  2. Wastesoflife

Jesus was a nancy boy candy a$$ jew

February 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  3. MrHanson

As a Christian I do believe this is a silly waste of time and fuel. It's funny how CNN like to have these articles just to stir up more hate for Christians. Anything to make them look more foolish (which this does).

February 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • HotAirAce

If any group behaves in foolishness and it is reported, it is not the media's fault! If the bahaviour is foolish, it is foolish whether it gets reported or not.

Stop blaming the media and start correcting your cult's behaviours.

February 21, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  4. Steve

SDM . . . What do you think happens after you die? If nothing happens then why are we here? Just to take up space? I would be curious to your answers.

February 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Igor

"What do you think happens after you die?"

Although the real question is that we don't know, there is no indication that it's anything like what many religious believe. I suppose the same thing that happened for billions of years you weren't alive (unless you believe in reincarnation). Note, this is not agnosticism which deals with our ability to know something. I simply think that if you want to believe in a made up story for whatever reason that is fine, but you can;'t make hold it as the Truth when the honest answer should be "I don't know."

"If nothing happens then why are we here? Just to take up space? I"

Good questions. Maybe we'll know one day maybe we won't. Certainly the search for answers to these questions is fascinating wherever it may lead. If there is no why then create a why. I try to help others in more realistic ways, love my wife, love my son and make sure he grows up with all the good qualities. Survival of a specie is a fine purpose and helping others certainly ensures that.

February 21, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Steve

You asked: "What do you think happens after you die? If nothing happens then why are we here? Just to take up space? I would be curious to your answers."

Nothing happens when we die. There is no evidence for a soul or an afterlife. NONE.

When we experience brain death, we cease to exist. But, we leave our friends and loved ones, who will hold us in their memories. We live on through them.

We are all here, because we were born. Some just take up space. Some love their fellow man and work to ensure all our citizens rights – gay rights and women's right to choose. Some, unfortunately, want to take away rights, because they believe in the words of Bronze Age men.

Cheers!

February 21, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Joe

"because they believe in the words of Bronze Age men"

The Bible was written in the Iron Age. Why do you repeat this falsehood?

February 21, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  5. waldteufel

What a silly waste of time and resources, seriously reported by a gullible and credulous press..

February 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  6. Joseph V, Rowlett, TX

Why should it bug the non-believers when the believers pray. It is like you should not be irritated when someone else is having a conversation with their father. You don not have to be a christian to believe in this. It is the conversation with the supreme being.

February 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • Sy2502

Stupidity bugs me.

February 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Franly Speaking..

Does munching on god's flesh and drinking his blood during "holy" communion count as prayer ?..If so, shouldnt that bother you too ?? I am not a dis-believer in god but the concept in christianity is pretty messed up.

February 21, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  7. Rich

Zeus will smite the non-believer.

February 21, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  8. why

For those with belief well.......why dont you provve your beief and look for the one tru god instead of thinking you got the right religion. And for those who have no faith well ur just commenting on this website because you like to mess around with believers because your life is already a living speritoul hell..PATHETIC

February 21, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • kso

"spiritual hell" what a beautifully well crafted assumption. LOLZ!

February 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  9. Sy2502

To all the Christians here who believe in prayer, I have a question:

February 21, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Wastesoflife

cuz he's not real and christians are fa ggots

February 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • Amber87

God does know. He is all knowing, all powerful. He is everywhere and knows everything. He is more powerful than you or I can ever imagine. But we pray because he wants us to. We have a relationships with God that brings him joy and praise. When come to him in prayer it shows him that we trust him and have put all our faith in him.

February 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

@wastesoflife
      cuz he's not real and christians are fa ggots
      ------------
      You have every right to to add nothing of value to this post!

February 21, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • airwx

Yes God knows....but He wants us to care enough about each other to something..even if it is only pray. I have a relative who was taken to the hospital last night over 700 miles from me. What can I do for the person and their family? Pray. Ask if there are needs and meet them. I can love.

February 21, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  10. generics

Yeah you totally need a Helicopter to ensure that your prayers are heard. These people are fvcked in the head.

February 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • MrHanson

As a Christian I would have to agree. Please don't stereotype.

February 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  11. Mark

Here's what I'm not understanding: why the need to "fly over" these areas needing prayer? Will God hear/answer the prayer since you're over the affected area? I'm gathering that they feel God will answer the prayer differently than if they were on their knees in a church making the same prayer, and I think that goes against all religion tries so hard to prove.

Based on the methods of these individuals we should not pray for those in other countries/areas, since we need to be in the direct vicinity for God to better answer or hear our prayer.

I realized the pilot is offering his services, but that the preachers propagate it is what bothers me.

February 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • Lanfear

I guess God only conducts business with the elite. No helecopter for your prayers? Then step aside!

February 21, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  12. generics

There is no god, you're just flying a Helicopter over a bunch of people. Keep believing in your invisible man. I'll be praying to Joe Pesci, lol.

February 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • ScottK

"you're just flying a Helicopter over a bunch of people." That and spewing toxic fumes into the air above them all for a religious advertising stunt, but I guess 95% of the planet isn't enough share of the God market so they need to get out the word.

February 21, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  13. sk

The audacity to 'pray' for others is simply obnoxious, arrogant and self-righteous. This is just a stupid gimmick. If you believe in prayer, good for you – just keep your prayers to yourself. Why do you need others to believe in what you believe? Simple – because it reinforces your belief. People would rather suffer a lie in a group than to go find the truth themselves.

February 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Steve

I would like to hear your thoughts on what truth is?

February 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • sk

The truth is that which is not subjective – something you can prove : a.k.a results of unbiased scientific inquiry

February 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  14. Wastesoflife

Christians should all just do us a favor and go to meet their god already.

February 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

@wastesoflife
      Christians should all just do us a favor and go to meet their god already.
      -------
      It will most certainly happen just no on YOUR schedule but God's. You will NOT like what will fill the void, I guarantee that!

February 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • Wastesoflife

you're a useless human, stop wasting air you piece of crap

February 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

@wastesoflife
      you're a useless human, stop wasting air you piece of crap
      ---------
      Having a bad day? Your handle speaks louder than your word do!

February 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  15. andybud

"'I care so much for our city that I’ll do anything, and so just starting with prayer is what I think we need to do,' Briggs said."

He care so much that he'll do anything, but then does nothing?

Uh...

February 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  16. Laura

It sounds like this man needs to have the pastor fly over some of the peoples house that commented on this issue. So I will pray for you all.

February 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  17. jim

To "prove" evolutiion and natural selection takes only minimum everyday observations and minimal brain power.
    Consider
    1)Offspring resemble thier parents, but are not identical to them. In other words traits are passed from parents to offspring (duh)-not only physical traits, but more nebulous traits such as intelligence and temperment.
    2) Offspring resemble thier siblings but each is slightly different-in other words there is genetic diversity
    3) All species produce more offspring than that required to replace thier parents, yet in a stable population, all other things being equal the overall population remains roughly the same. Therefore, only a small percentage of offspring survive and go on to reproduce.
    4) Different offsping will have different traits (see number 2) and some traits will make their survival more likely under a certain set of environmental conditions
    5) The offspring that survive more frequently to reproduce will pass the traits that made thier survival more likely onto THIER offspring (see number 1).
    6) Over long periods of time, the whole population will come to possess these traits that allowed survival more often.
    This isnt rocket science, it is common sense. And yes, we can see it happening. Intoduce an antibiotic against a certain bacteria, and guess what, in a few million generations (not long in bacterial time frames) the traits that allowed some bacteria to survive more often (ie resistance to the antibiotic for whatever reason) will be possessed by all of them. And you have antibiotic resistance. Natural selection has allowed the bacteria to evolve and adapt to a new environment (ie one with the antibiotic in it).
    I dont see what problem religions people have with this. Evolution is not magic, evil, or antireligious. Quite the opposite. It is an absolutely BRILLIANT mechanism to ensurethat life will survive environmental changes. It ensures life will go on. Whoever invented it was really really thinking. Unlike some of the religious people who deny it.

February 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

@Jim,
      Consider

OR from Genesis chapter 1:
      21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth , which the waters brought forth abundantly , after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
      22 And God blessed them, saying , BE FRUITFUL AND MULTIPLY , and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
      23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
      24 And God said , Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
      25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

Jim,

I think I will go with the Biblical account, but thanks for asking

February 21, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Steve

I am a follower of Jesus Christ but I also believe that life does evolve over time. The argument that I stand on is that the human world, animal world, plant world, sea world or the universe just didn't come about from nothing. The big bank theory is just that a theory that has never been proven. If you look at a wrist watch you know by common knowledge that it had a designer and that someone put the pieces together to make it into a device that keeps time. You don't just throw pieces of metal in a sack and expect it to turn into a watch over time. Why is it that scientists are the biggest group of professionals that agree with a Divine Creator?

February 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Steve

You said: "Why is it that scientists are the biggest group of professionals that agree with a Divine Creator?"

In 1998, a study by Larson and Witham appeared on the leading journal Nature ("Leading scientists still reject God"), showing that of the American scientists who had been elected to the National Academy of Sciences, only about 7 percent believe in a personal god. Religious believers form about 40 percent of the less eminent scientists in America.

Your god is drowning in a sea of scientific discoveries.

Love and Prayers!

February 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Steve
      You said "Why is it that scientists are the biggest group of professionals that agree with a Divine Creator?"
      Prof. Greg Graffin's thesis paper, the full results of which are available for perusal at cornellevolutionproject.org, revealed that fewer than 5% of the scientists polled internationally identified as having any deistic/theistic leanings.

Scientists, especially biologists, are NOT believers in Gods of any sort.
      Most see no conflict between science and religion, so long as religion is treated solely as a social adaptation!

February 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Jessica

Steve (maybe the real one) Jim still has you beat. We can see evolution happen in a petri dish but you believe a book that was written 1800 or so years ago, 200 years after Jesus died and was cobbled together by a bunch of priests. If you go back to your or my childhood and remember the telephone game you played in class. Teacher would tell you that "there are milk and cookies in the cafeteria today" and by the end of the phone line (3 minutes or so) there would be "a clown, chocolate milk, cookies, cake and a horse in the cafeteria all this week".

You can't tell me that the stories in the bible haven't been embellished and that embellishment is what you religious folk call "faith". A bunch of made up stories that have a smidge of truth to them filled with magical stories.

February 21, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

Jessica
      Steve (maybe the real one) Jim still has you beat.
      -----–
      Really? I did not realize I was in a contest with Jim! Well sorry I came up short! Congrats Jim!

February 21, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  18. Wastesoflife

Stupid Christian sheep. Your religion is dying, people are waking up. Can't wait to you pukes are all in your graves. And guess what, you stay there. Dead? End of story.

February 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • MrHanson

Thanks for showing us Atheists true colors.

February 21, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  19. adri39

All you athiests will be sorry when you are cast into the belly of hell ! I KNOW GOD EXISTS !! HE came down to earth in human form (JESUS) to TRY to save those who woud believe, as for those who don't – sorry about your luck ! I, will wait upon my LORD !! amen

February 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • andybud

Gloating about the future suffering of others?

I don't think Jesus would approve.

February 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • sk

Why are you so happy that atheists will go to hell? Isn't that against your religion? Arrogant and judgment is not belying of you, Christian. Who are you to assume what god will do to atheists? Just the fact that you read a book that others haven't gives you that much authority?

February 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • thes33k3r

To adri39:
      Prove it.

February 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • MrHanson

You people are obviously too stupid to recognize a fake post.

February 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Valerie

MrHanson, you replied to someone else about an atheist showing their true colors. Calling others stupid must be a Christian's true colors?

February 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • MrHanson

I apolgize for that comment. No it's NOT a Chritians true colors. It should be obvious to anybody when an anti-Chrisitan makes comments like this.

February 21, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  20. Steve

For those non-believers commenting on this article the question that begs to be asked is why do you care? My guess is that you feel guilty for not believing in something that is so obvious. This earth has a Creator and His name is God. The bigger reality is that you too will come before Him and explain your life that He has given you on this earth. What did you do with your life? Whether you believe in prayer or not, I am praying for you . . . that your heart will be softened and that your eyes will be unveiled to the truth of the living God.

February 21, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • kso

I always love it that believers refer to God as HIM—like you know that "he" has a fat pair hanging!!!

February 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Steve

You should be concerned that your comment is your only thought on the subject.

February 21, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Jaded

I will kick your god in the nutz and shove YOU down his non-existent throat. How's that grab ya?

I have no guilt for not believing something so ridiculous and insane and non-existent.
      What I DO have is a LOT of righteous wrath against all religions for being nothing but filthy sick con-games foisted on the human race by LIARS and the DELUDED who believe the LIES.

ANGER not guilt, gives me the energy to post this comment.
      As for your so-called "god"....I would gladly blow his head off for all this crap humanity is going through and for all the crap I have to put up with from people like YOU and for everything else.
      NONE of it is my fault – maybe not even the stuff I do. What do you think about that, "Steve"?

February 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • andybud

I'm commenting because prayer from the ground is a silly waste of time, but wasting both time and money to go up in a helicopter to do it is even more silly.

Maybe the business owner could donate the fuel and maintenance costs of those trips to a local soup kitchen or homeless shelter, maybe some sort of pregnant teen outreach program, or to help with medical research.

You know, something USEFUL.

February 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • thes33k3r

We care because we have to share this planet with everyone else...including you religious zealots. You can make claims about your concept of god all day but you can't back them up with evidence. You have faith, not evidence.

Yours truly,
      Former Christian

February 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Steve

Jaded . . . How about if I pray for you?

February 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • SDM

Nah, not at all... I think most of us atheists read these stories because we are fascinated by what makes the religious folk tick. The only answers we're searching for is why the religious can all be so easily duped. You guys are like our guinea pigs and we're just peaking in on life in the old habitrail.

February 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Amber87

@KSO.....Actually we say 'He' because yes we know God is a he. The bible refers to God as him or he time and time again. I am so disrespected by your comment. Why is it that people who are not Christians can attack us and say such horrible things and not be looked down for it, when if we ever state anything at all that is from our beliefs (that isn't even mean or name calling) we are the ones referred to as horrible.

February 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
    • Steve

thes33k3r . . . the evidence is obvious . . . when is the last time you created a tree . . . or set the earth on a perfect axis as not to burn itself to a crisp if it were one degree off of it's rotation . . . or made a human being.

How about the fact that over 500 people saw Jesus Christ after He rose from the dead. In today's world it takes one eyewitness to send someone to jail so over 500 is a pretty substantiated number.

You signed as a 'former Christian' . . . what made you turn away? If it was a person or persons, remember your relationship is with Jesus Christ for your salvation not the people as people will fail you ever time.

February 21, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • Valerie

I never get why people think that their beliefs are so "obvious" that everyone should follow them. What, because it's written in a book? Not good enough. Anyone can write a book and pretend it is real. But since I'm on the topic, I'm pretty sure Jesus told people to pray in private, not to show off.

February 21, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • Moravian

Steve – do not send prayers, send God's legal tender instead. It has green color and motto "In God We Trust". If so, I will epose myself to as much God as possible.

February 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Jonathan

You've completely lost it, haven't you?

February 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Jaded

How about I fart in your general direction? It would make more of a difference in my life since your prayers will never work.

February 21, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • BusyPerson

Jaded, my prayers worked. I believe. You can never say anything that would make me feel different. I have seen a miricle.

February 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Jessica

I could care less if you're religious or not. What I hate about you is the way you try to shove your morals and religion down our collective throats. You think that Colorado Springs is a nice place?

When I was there in '95 the town council passed a law that made killing a GLBT person a $50.00 fine with no jail time. You could still get put away for years if you killed a dog or a cat but killing a GLBT human was a slap on the wrist with a small fine. What a jole you religious freaks are, You Are So Unlike Your Christ It Is Pathetic!

February 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm |