home
RSS
February 21st, 2011

Prayers from the air

By Jim Spellman, CNN

Colorado Springs, Colorado (CNN) — They call Colorado Springs “Little Jerusalem” for good reason.

Christian churches from mega to micro dot this city nestled against the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, and prayer is an integral part of the lives of many of the worshipers who fill those pews.

Most prayers start on the ground and are sent heavenward. But helicopter pilot Will Sanders is taking prayer to the air by flying pastors up to the skies to pray down on the people below.

“I believe prayer works, and I want to take prayer warriors up to pray for their community. Inspire them to see it from a different angle, from a different view,” he said.

Sanders earns a living running Colorado Vertical, giving tours of the area in his Raven II four-seat helicopter. About once a month he opens his chopper up to local pastors, who fly over their churches and areas of the city they think are experiencing hardship and pray for them.

“Pastors know their areas, they know where people are hurting, where people need prayer, where people need help, and I can take them over those areas,” Sanders says.

He says that flying is a profoundly spiritual experience.

Helicopter pilot Will Sanders takes local pastors up in the air to pray over Colorado Springs.

“I see God’s creation. I do believe God created this world, and I see that in nature. When I fly I see the fingerprints of God.”

On a sunny winter day, he meets two pastors from Vanguard Church, Alan Briggs and Jonathan Madrid. It’s Briggs’ third trip and Madrid’s first. As evangelical Christians, they said prayer is an essential part of their faith.

“I care so much for our city that I’ll do anything, and so just starting with prayer is what I think we need to do,” Briggs said.

“I think the first thing we need to be doing as a city, as a body of believers, is to get down on our knees and pray,” Madrid said.

Sanders with pastors Jonathan Madrid, left, and Alan Briggs of Vanguard Church in Colorado Springs.

The tower clears the helicopter for takeoff, and a few minutes later we are cruising over the city. The prayers fly over the tinny audio of the headset microphones, with Briggs and Madrid taking turns.

“We pray that you bring the needs of the city to these churches that they may be able to help.”

“We pray that you bring this city together.”

“We pray for the Air Force Academy and Fort Carson.”

“We pray over this land that it would be dedicated to you.”

“Lord I pray for the high schools in our city, that your light may shine in those schools.”

We bank to the left and pass over the offices of The Independent, an alternative free weekly newspaper that has been critical of the evangelical community.

“We pray for The Independent and particularly publisher John Weiss. We pray for a partnership between such a sometimes hateful organization,” Briggs says.

A minute later, after a bit of quiet, he adds, “That we would be marked by our love and not by our judgment.”

Sanders heads west towards Garden of the Gods - a stunning orange rock formation popular with hikers. Pikes Peak is clearly visible to the south.

“Lord, when people see Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods, I pray we would see you.”

We head back toward downtown, and Briggs turns to me to ask if it would be OK if he prays for me. I give him the thumbs up.

“Lord, we pray for Jim and getting to meet him today. I pray that you give him protection, that you keep the hand of safety on him,” he said.

As the airport comes back into sight, the pastors get in as many prayers as possible before we land.

“I pray you would drive out the spirit of consumerism in our city.”

“Lord I pray for more Spanish speaking churches.”

“We pray for military families to be taken care of.”

The voice of an air traffic controller interrupts the flow of prayers and clears us to land.

The cockpit is quiet as we gently touch down.

Back on the ground, Madrid is smiling widely.

“It was great. A different perspective for sure. As I saw the city, so many things came to me,” he said.

“It just gives you a whole new perspective on people, I think. You see these different areas of the city that you never would have thought to even pray for before, so I think praying from a different view is huge. I think it’s awesome and we’re blessed to be able to do that sort of thing.”

The pastors head back to their church as Sanders shuts down the helicopter.

“I was given a gift. I’ve been so blessed. How many people have a helicopter?” Sanders said. “I do believe in the power of prayer, and I want to cover this whole community with it”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Colorado • Pastors • United States

1. ottttr

How dare these pastors assume they have the right to pray on another person's behalf? The community's residents didn't ask them to do this – especially the non-Christians of Colorado Springs! How would the city's church-goers like it if an Islamic Imam got in a chopper and prayed for Allah to help the town's unfortunate, for more mosques to be built, and that people see Allah in the beauty of the landscape? Then they would see how offensive it is to have another person's religious beliefs shoved in your face!

February 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis123

Its really funny you should mention that because The US. was built on the prinnciple of the Bible and that is what allowed it to Love and allow everyone to come live in freedom.

So now how is it wrong for these pastor to stand on the priciples this very country was built on to pray? Are you outraged at the forefathers of this country for building it on those principles? just curious?

February 22, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis

You are beyond ignorant. We live in a democracy. If the country was built on the principle of the Bible, we would live in a theocracy. Wow, why am I still here trying to reason with you?

February 22, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  2. Wally624

If I didn't have faith in God, I surely wouldn't waste my time at a Belief blog commenting on it – I'd simply ignore it and move on.

February 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • Q

Well, I can't speak for the entire agnostic/atheist crowd but morbid curiosity regarding the depths of human irrationality draws me here.

February 22, 2011 at 1:16 am |
  3. Ruth

I read some of the comments . Satan hates prayer, and it sounds like he was raging in some of these posts. Thank you for praying for Colorado Springs. You know, the most important thing to pray for is that people will repent and turn to Christ. I am assuming that is at the top of your list. God bless you.

February 21, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • swindertharn

I pray to Allah that you turn away from the false prophet of Jesus and come to know the love of Islam's true God.

Now tell me Ruth, how does it feel to be on the receiving end of self-righteousness?

February 21, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • Marconi Darwin

Why do you not seek help for your delusions?

February 22, 2011 at 1:07 am |
  4. fsmgroupie

no god will ever regrow my leg. it's merely an observation. there is no hate intended. there is no holy destination just as no god has ever restored a lost limb

February 21, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis

It depends on if you believe the myths in the bible...

Luke 22:51 Jebus heals a guys ear after one of his disciples cuts it off. But to be honest, I think it had something to do with it being a fresh injury. You know, like if you can get that severed finger on ice and to the hospital in time, they can sew it back on?

What we learned: fresh amputee + severed limb + prayer in Jebus name + medical team = regrown(well... reattached) limb
      Wait, I think you can take one of those out of the equation with the same result?

February 21, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis123

Well i suppose you can take out the Medical Team and replace Jebus with Jesus and you have one heck of an equation lol.

February 22, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis

Here is how your equation works...

fresh amputee + severed limb + prayer in Jesus name = blood loss and death

You should try it and post it on you tube if it works out any different for you... that is if you have enough faith to saw your arm off and refuse medical treatment while you pray...

February 22, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis123

See now, that is not FAITH, that is STUPIDITY. That is my attempt Again to force the hand of God, for YOU.

February 22, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis

How convenient that anything that would actual prove god is beyond your ability. Keep dodging... One day you may finally use your evolved ability to reason and come to the same conclusion as I have. I was once ignorant and naive like you, and then I started to think and then I read the bible from a skeptical view point and found the massive disparity and contradiction with regard to anything scientific or philosophical... good luck!

February 22, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis123

See "Skeptical Analysis" that is just it. We want convenience, we want to meet God on our terms. Yet we wouldn't do that with the queen of England. We ought to seek to find Him on His terms and watch the difference in results.

February 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  5. fsmgroupie

sure -don't cut it off

February 21, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  6. fsmgroupie

No matter how much they pray, no matter how many true believers are praying for them , no matter how much faith they have,no matter which of the gods they are praying to, no amputee has ever had a leg or arm or hand or foot or nose or ear or any other limb completely restored–ever– in all recorded history .All of the gods must surely have a huge hate- on for all amputees. Or maybe they just can't regrow an amputated limb. Or maybe they just don't care. Or maybe they just don't exist.

February 21, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • fsmgroupie

but the flying spaghetti monster exits. I saw him on you- tube!!!

February 21, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis

The FSM makes one of my appendages longer when I'm around him. Does that count? 😉

February 21, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • airwx

As an amputee, I must object to your tone. My body is slowly dying. I will lose several more parts before I die. Hate is your feeling....if you can think and write in this blog then be thankful. You assume that you have to reach (insert any holy final destination here) in one piece. Only one human ( not JC) has done that that I have heard of along the way. Look at Steven Hawking....nothing works... but he is still thinking and writing.

February 21, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis

@ airwx – pray harder? You obviously lack the faith it takes to reverse your plight...

What you need is one of my prayer cloths...
      >>>It's really just a washrag, but it has a cute little embroidered torture stake in the corner that helps you think about Jebus.

February 21, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • airwx

@ Skeptical

Did I mention any prayer cloths..no. Do I believe in prayer cloths...no. Do I listen to or give money to televangelists...no.

My "plight" is caused by a genetic defect....thank you science for telling me how I am going to die but being unable to stop it. Prayer has helped.. in ways you are unable/unwilling to comprehend. I am here on this earth years after the doctors thought I was a goner....think about that the next time you comment on someone elses "plight"

February 21, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis

@ airwx – Don't get all huffy at me... You are the one saying god programed your DNA to make you suffer? When you want to admit that your plight is a statistical anomoly generated by the random pairing of the DNA of your Parents and thier parents and so on and that with the benefit of the abiltiy to adapt and evolve we also have residual side effects that can cause conditions such as yours, then I will empathize. But you think your god wants you to have this genetic disorder and I'm not going to disagree if you think you deserve it... and apparently before birth at that?

February 21, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis

Yep, the more I think about it the sillier you sound... Waaaa, look at me and be sensitive to my condition because god made me a cripple. Look at how dedicated I am that I still pray and worship a god that blessed me with a genetic disorder and my parts are falling off. If you want to give god the credit for your life, then give him the credit for your demise...

February 21, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis123

Honestly "Skeptical Analysis" we can go back and forth with the attempts to prove or disprove God. And the truth is neither can be done. I believe in JESUS because i personally believe HE is the Truth. but NO-ONE can make your mind change about your beliefs except you or the God you dont believe in. According to the bible after death comes the judgement and until then each individual will just have to wait and hope they are in the right standing. But if you ARE wrong when you face Him, how much will you have actually gained by denying Him? just asking.

February 21, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Skeptical Analysis123

Ho hum.... Yet another trotting out of the thoroughly destroyed Pascal's Wager in an attempt to convince someone to insincerely accept the god/jesus myth just in case...

February 21, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis123

@HotAirAce – I honestly do apologize if i came across like that because that was not the intention of the message. I am mearly pointing out the facts.

1. NO ONE CAN PROVE OR DISPROVE GOD/JESUS.
      2. NO ONE has seen what come after death to tell us who are living. (I believe and stand firm in my belief in the Bible as the Word of God and the Truth)
      3. We ARE ALL GIVEN A CHOICE. We were not created as robots. -TRUTH-.
      4. We ARE ALL RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONSIQUENCE OF OUR CHOICE. -ALSO TRUTH-

These are the facts. If there is a fear within someone because of them that is a personal problem that i would suggest they seek the solution to.

(I live with complete faith in JESUS and i am comfortable with these facts and at peace with the Truth of the Bible. I used to leave the same comments you are leaving until i did my OWN RESEARCH conserning the truth of these matters.)

*Please don't let ANYONE force christianity on you, but seek to find the truth and you will be surprised. God Bless you.

February 22, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis

Pascal's wager = Fail

1. Which god do you chose?
      2. Which prophet do you chose?
      3. Which path to redemption do you chose?

The number of religions that have existed reduce the percentage of getting it right to well below the odds you have of being right if you pick "none of the above".

Something else to consider is that many other religious sects have a hell with far greater suffering than that of your particular flavor of Xianity...

In addition, what if god has set up a test. And the individuals who are skeptical and require evidence make it into heaven and those sheeple who believed a ridiculous story are the ones left out. I think that if a god did create humanity with this incredible power of reason, he would be very offended at those who refuse to use it?

February 22, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis

In addition, your points are not facts. They are conjecture...

You are the one positing a god. You must prove he exists with actual evidence: Not hearsay, not ancient books, not anecdotes, not logical arguments with flawed premises.

For example, take the statement, "I have a dragon in my garage." Would you believe me until you had evidence that there is, in fact, a dragon in my garage? Would a book that said, "He has a dragon in his garage." be enough proof? What if all of my neighbors also believed that I had a dragon in my garage? What if the inside of my garage was covered in soot and I said, "That proves I have a dragon, else how did the soot get there?" If you don't follow the analogy I've presented here, you are not able to be helped.

February 22, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis123

Your analogy is definitely a good. I don't disagree with you. However we aren't discussing a "Dragon."

If i was to prove to you that God exist that would in fact prove He isn't "God" because I would have the power to manipulate His actions for your selfish desires and lack of faith. If you had a Dragon in your garage I would find it hard to believe not because you did not show it to me but by the mare fact you have it "in your Garage."

See, "ignorant" is attempting to minimize God so that your feeble brain can comprehend His existence(like i used to want). Like any typical person (such as i was) You want to see to believe, yet, your probably the same person that would say Looks are deceiving after seeing what you ask for.

According to your logic's your brain doesn't exist. I can NOT see it. I can NOT touch it. Thus I must believe it is there only by faith.

If you want to say "I should know its there because its causing you to act." I can then say "You should know God is there because He is causing US to exist."

But wait..

I will then Here "I am manipulated by the bible to believe that right? because people can open your skull and prove your brain is there. yet for them to do that you must die or be unconscious. (what a coincidence? you must first die in order to SEE God)" -Then maybe (Just maybe) you'll come to grips.-

God Bless you.

February 22, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  7. mas

238 million prozac prescriptions written in 2009 in the u.s, looks to me that most of the posters on here are on it ,wow!?

February 21, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  8. TheRationale

Prayer...you're talking to yourself.

February 21, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  9. Jerry

Jesus made it clear in the 4th chp of John that believers do not need to go somewhere special for God to hear our prayers or to worship. Believing that God will better hear your prayers if you're flying above those you're praying for isn't biblical.

February 21, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • airwx

Jerry... the concept was to get a different perspective... not that anyone has to go anywhere special to pray. Helicopters aren't biblical, either.

February 21, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  10. TampaMike

Prayer ??? How to do nothing and think you're helping.
    Nothing surprises me anymore when dealing with people who have imaginary friends.

February 21, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  11. Alzo Nonaz

I am absolutely relishing the back and forth on all the posts. This is Great... The ability to freely express ourselves through this technology is exhilirating. Wonderful stuff indeed. However, I digress... I don't believe the helicopter/prayer thing is a scam as some have opined. The CNN article doesn't indicate the Pilot is claiming anything other than, he'll fly paying customers for a period of time. It is my opinion the helicopter owner is exercising his freedom to participate in a free market society by offering his flying services to those who wish to pay him for the priviledge. People using their paid time to "pray" are well within their legal right to do so. I wouldn't do it, but they can and in my view – so what. As for the perspective of does prayer "work" or not... I am left to conclude I don't know. That's something each person must decide for themselves. The greatest fault I find on both sides of the religion issue is the vitriol spat on the other from both sides of the issue, when in reality, we are all created equal and we will all equally die. In between those two events each person must decide for themselves. I am assured of one thing – we are all in this life together and whether by chance or by divine creation or natural selection. In conclusion... my answer to Rodney King's question is – "No Rodney... I guess we really can't all just get along." Too bad. So sad. Regardless, my absolute duty remains, to work harder on myself than on anything else so that I can be a better person tomorrow than I am today and hope by minding my own business I can make the most of the opportunities to make my small part of this world a little bit better for myself, my family, my community, and my Country.

February 21, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  12. M. Edelson

Excellent Reality!

February 21, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  13. Lisa

Stupidity is what perpetuates the farce known as religion, and while religious zealots run to their local churches, the rest of us sit back and have a few laughs. Honestly, I have no qualms with people who believe, however, when the zealots start telling me I need "God", then I got a problem.

The Bible answers very little in the way of life. If "God" was omnipotent, why didn't he explain important issues such as AIDS, cancer, the discovery of DNA by Watson and Crick, or the explanation of why he allowed people like WBC to run rampant on soldiers' funerals? Sorry, but a real miracle would be to eradicate cancer and AIDS altogether, right? Not just one single person, if they are lucky.

Religion kept its seat in peoples' minds by fear. Priest kept butts in the pews by blaming the Plague on Satan and sin, thus increasing their congregation. Have you ever heard of memes? Science explaining religious belief, IMHO.

February 21, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • airwx

It is sad that you equate religious people with stupidity. It is also sad that you think fear is needed. If you want to see miracles like you claim then start asking for them. I agree there are some who use religion for the wrong reason, as with WBC. I do not belive fear is useful... but love and forgiveness is....

February 21, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • Aruba

Lisa

Listen closely Lisa
      1. He who laughs first, don't always get the last laugh. Use wisdom here.
      2. Ever hear of sin?? Thats where aids and cancer comes from. Westboro?...give the credit to the right one...snd its not God that allows...it is the Satan wreaking havoc on peoples lives, thru jokesters like this bunch.
      3.Eradicating cancer and aids, will happen. But, not in this world
      4. Make your choices wisely.
      5. Just be prepared , for all will stand before the Judgement seat of Christ...I promise you that.

February 21, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • The Truth

***@ airwx You stated: "It is sad that you equate religious people with stupidity."***

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but numerous studies have shown that the more people believe in religion the lower their level of intelligence. Atheists had the highest level of intelligence, followed by agnostics, followed by casual believers and with hard core believers coming in dead last. Thus, God created his chosen people as the least intelligent segment of society.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm only reporting the facts.

Peace.

February 21, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • Marconi Darwin

airwx,

There is no use for religion. At worst it is harmful, at best, it is a waste of time.

February 22, 2011 at 1:06 am |
    • Skeptical Analysis123

@Marconi Darwin

I agree with you. That is why i chose to have a relationship with Jesus rather than under the constraints of a religion.

@The Truth

Intersting Info. Just out of curiosity, what are your sources?

February 22, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • The Truth

@Skeptical Analysis:

There are more studies than this, but this is a concise overview which covers just America and by country. Beyond the studies, one just needs to use common sense and realize the stereotypically speaking, people like doctors, scientists and professors have high intelligence level and a disproportionate number of them are agnostic or atheist.

Cheers!

February 22, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  14. Reality

The subject of prayer relates directly to the subject of religions and their foundations.

And what has history, scriptural text reviews and archeology taught us about these foundations?

1. Abraham is the reported founder of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Based on all we know now, Abraham was at best a combination of three separate individuals with 1.5 million Conservative Jews no longer believing he existed at all. (ditto for all the characters in the OT).

references: National Georgraphic review on Abraham and "King" David and http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482

2. The founders of Christianity and Islam were both illiterate. i.e. neither one proof read or approved the NT or the Koran so we are taking the word of scribes and embellishers with their own agendas.

references: NT exegetes from the last two hundred years,
    reviews and actions of Islam and http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

3. Christianity is based on the whim of Pilate, the false prophesy of the imminent second coming, and the sword of Constantine.

references: NT exegetes and their conclusions/books from the last two hundred years

Conclusion: Jewish, Christian and Islamic prayers have very little foundation to rely on.

February 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • airwx

The National Geographic is not a reliable source of data on religion....any religion. I have seen the shows you mention and NatG trots out the same bunch of talking heads who are out to make themselves famous, but offer less proof about the subject than the people in this discussion.

There is an extensive body of evidence that the authors of many of the books in the bible were written by well educated people. Paul studied under Gamiel... the most respected Jewish teacher of his time and read both hebrew and greek.

Your conclusion on the foundation of christianity is as full of holes as your other source...early christian writings, which doesn't know the difference between gnos tic writings and christian writings....

February 21, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis123

February 21, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  15. DFD

While I am a firm believer in prayer, I fail to comprehend how flying over the city relates to stated goals. Prayer is an act of faith based upon a personal relationship between ourselves and our God. Time and money spent to fly above the city would be more productive if directed toward on the ground, meaningful service to address the needs for which you are praying. Yes, we should pray for guidance, but people are probably going to be more impressed with a meaningful response to their needs than by where and how many times we prayed. They might even be more interested in the God we claim to serve.

February 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  16. Starman

Just another way to prove that religion is about making good money. That pilot is a smart man!

February 21, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  17. Child of a Lesser God

Anyone who thinks that physical proximety has anything to do with prayers effectability are people who's perception of God is very simple and are probably easily convinced of anything.

February 21, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  18. Joe

time and money well spent! don't use that money to buy food, clothing, etc for the needy. buy a helicopter and some fuel and murmur to a sky fairy.

February 21, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  19. Reality

Time to start updating our prayers starting with:

The Apostles' Creed 2011: (updated based on the studies of historians and theologians during the past 200 years)

I might believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven.

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
    ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen

February 21, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • airwx

1. The Apostles creed is not a prayer.
      2. You single out Catholicism.....Why?
      3. I see a disconnect in your understanding of the symbolic communion and your overly literal statements.The last supper was a covenent meal, which had been used by the people of the region for over 2000 years before the last supper.
      4. Your version of the creed contains nothing that contributes to understanding and only shows how much you can disrespect others. ( My most polie way of saying my thought).

February 21, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  20. timetraveler

NEVER underestimate the stupidity of religion, nor the stupidity of idiots who buy it.

February 21, 2011 at 4:26 pm |