home
RSS
Huckabee defends Obama's Christianity
February 24th, 2011

Huckabee defends Obama's Christianity

If President Obama is looking for a conservative endorsement, he might find it from potential GOP presidential candidate Mike Huckabee – at least on the issue of family values.

During a speech at the National Press Club Thursday, Huckabee said it's time for some conservatives to quit questioning the president's Christian faith and added he thinks Obama is a role model for the "primacy of the American family."

"He has personally articulated, not once but numerous times, of his Christian faith. I take him at his word. I have no reason not to. For us to continue to dwell on that is missing the point. I have no disagreement with President Obama as a human being. In fact, I will go so far to say one of the things I respect very much is the role model that he has served as a husband and father," the conservative Republican said during the midday speech in Washington, DC.

Read the full story
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Barack Obama • Christianity • Mike Huckabee • Politics

1. Fritz99

So the election stands between Barack and Mick? Between spineless trickster and a religious freak? I am worried about America.

February 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  2. Troy B.

Huckabee may be overly delusional/ idealogical, or whatever you want to say. But, unlike a lot of the lunatics that he shares the cable news airwaves with, he is a compassionate gentleman. while I agree that his blindness to facts and science would absolutely preclude me from considering him for President or any other political office, I believe that if more leaders (political and/or media-types) engaged in dialogue in the manner that he does, the country would be a lot less divided and therefore a lot more productive. Therefore, I like him very much right where he is, in the media, engaging in civil discussion, but having no power to make actual decisions. i wish him well personally.

February 25, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  3. omegarising

What a complete and utter moron. Barry soetoro admitted he is a muslim. Who the hell does he think he's kidding. If Barry was a christian he wouldn't have ridiculed the bible like he did. Google it moron!

February 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  4. Randy

This comes from the guy who stayed in the last Presidential race (with no possible chance of winning) guaranteeing McCain (who also is a RINO and unelectable) would run & lose to Saint Obama. Why can't these losers just go away! IF he had dropped out instead of spoiling the last race, we would at least have Mit Romney...

February 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  5. Take Note

Huckabee, just another Council on Foreign Relations puppet, supporting a fellow CFR puppet. As for Obama's Christianity....the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth.....Mr. Obama misses on all counts.

February 25, 2011 at 11:16 am |
  6. Sally

I kind of like Huck. I disagree with nearly all of his views, but as a person, he seems like an OK guy.

I do, however, see this as a possible ploy to get a little publicity prior to the presidential campaign...Huck is a smart guy and knows he has ostracized all of the lefties out there. Making a few concessions might be a good way to get some of us to be a li'l forgiving, kwim?

February 25, 2011 at 10:50 am |
  7. Isabel in Fort Lauderdale

Any so-called Christian who believes in "collective salvation" doesn't have a clue. Salvation is uniquely individual. Huckaby takes Obama at his word? Perhaps he would agree that KKK terrorists slaughtering black people were also Christian because they said they were and they used Christian symbolism. Obama has ridiculed scripture, he has ignored our national day of prayer, but he celebrates Islamic holidays in the white house? He spends his birthday separate from his wife, as is the muslim custom. He turns his back on patriotic Christians in this country who are in the obvious majority, while he proclaims to the world that America is no longer a Christian nation. In fact, he says it it the largest muslim nation. Obama uses his Christian assertions as a political tool, and that is all it is to him. He was raised by atheists and communists and muslims. The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.

February 25, 2011 at 8:53 am |
    • RIchard McCarthy

@ Isabel in Fort Lauderdale – and I quote : "Obama uses his Christian assertions as a political tool, and that is all it is to him." And that's all it is to you, too, it seems. Indeed it seems you and Mr. Obama fell from the same tree, you are just too blind to recognize it.

February 25, 2011 at 10:08 am |
    • Sojourner

Every soundbite you spew is garbage. America is not a Christian nation and never has been. Christianity is determined by an individual person accepting Jesus as their personal savior. So, stating that a country is a Christian Nation is quite silly and wholly inadequate. You do not know the man, so please share news stories and personal biographical information when you naively state that he does not celebrate his birthday with his wife????? How in the world do you know this as a matter of fact? Or, did that come directly from Glenn Beck's chalkboard? LOL. If I was raised by a Communist Socialist New Age Muslim does that prohibit me from accepting Christ into my life? Please read and reread Romans 13 until you get a better understanding of the real Jesus from the bible. It's pretty obvious that your lacking in what he claimed the whole law hinges on. LOVE, of God and of your neighbor. With all that being said, I'm a Christian, so God Bless you sister, and I'll be praying for you.

February 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  8. David Johnson

Yo, Believers!

I just read about this on the CNN web site. I actually found my eyes filling with tears.

I ask you, in all seriousness, where was god? Christians say their god is always present. Always observing. Am I to believe He sat upon His throne and watched, as these children were tortured?

He listened to and answered your prayers, to lose 10 pounds, or to get a good parking spot at the mall?

He is said to be all powerful. All good... I wouldn't expect Him to send an angel, with a fiery sword, to protect these little ones.
    Just to cause a neighbor to overhear the abuse and call the police. Something... Anything...Yet, He did nothing. He gave the children no respite. Not even death.

God either does not care, or does not exist.

February 25, 2011 at 8:49 am |
    • bloofer

Y'know David, I'm gonna have to go with "does not exist."

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Epicurus

February 25, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • Randy

February 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • MarkinFL

I guess until then your god will just sit back and enjoy the show. Feel free to suffer for his entertainment.

February 25, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Randy

You said: "God both exists and cares. Don't lose hope when the wicked prevail. It's nothing new. God will wrap everything up one day and this mess will seem like a faint dream then. Jesus is Lord!"

Your answer is deluded drivel.

Christians say their god is Omnibenevolent, Omnipotent, Omniscient.

1. God is all good
      If true, god should not have wanted the children to suffer.

2. God is all powerful
      If true, god would have been able to prevent their suffering.

3. The children suffered terribly.

Therefore, the Christian god does not care, or He does not exist.

So, Tell me why it wasn't just suffering for suffering's sake.

Tell me how the suffering, of these children, taught any lesson to humanity?

Or, will you tell me that god gave the parents free will. But I ask you, where was the children's free will? Did they choose to be tortured?

Or, will you declare it a mystery of god? Part of His great plan?

Cheers!

February 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  9. David Johnson

I voted for Obama in 2008. I have been his biggest fan, supporting him even when I disagreed with his actions. But, the man needs to go to Wisconsin. He needs to stand up for labor and the middle class.

February 25, 2011 at 8:02 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Can't have the middle class on that issue in Wisconsin, Dave. The some of the benefits that government workers were able to have when times were good can not be afford by the citizens in the state. Some of those benefits are to a level that can be only seen if you work for the government.

Part of speaking for the middle class is actually looking at the middle class and seeing what it can and can not pay for right now. Just like the unions had to bend to renegotiation for GM and Chrysler, these actual government workers have to be ready to be ....

....like the rest of us everyday folks.

February 25, 2011 at 8:48 am |
    • David Johnson

@Mark from Middle River

Your argument would be valid, if the union workers had not already agreed to concessions. This is union busting, pure and simple. The nation's economic problems are being used to justify it.

The Republicans are serving two masters: The rich and the Christian Right. I have nothing in common with either.

The sting from the nation's economic woes, should be felt by all. Not just the poor and middle class. A progressive tax would help to spread the hurt.

The Democratic Party is touted as the party of the working man. I expect a Democratic President to defend their rights.

Cheers!

February 25, 2011 at 9:23 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Of course you do not think my argument is valid. That is not a surprise. If anything one of the signs that my argument is valid is often when a Lib says it isn't.

That the government workers get something that the average middle and lower class workers do not have is what they are going after. You, like many on the hyper left just do not care about the working poor who pays for these rich government workers. Why should those, who get paid by us poor folks, get better working contracts than most?

It would be something if many at the state level were getting paid in the 30s and not in the high 40s and sometimes in the 60s. In Wisconsin you are arguing for the rich Davey.

February 25, 2011 at 11:43 am |
  10. Mark from Middle River

"That he managed to do so by inspiring the hopes of so many millions of Americans who once wrongly believed they had little at stake or little influence in the election of an American president is something I deeply admire and commend him for achieving,"

John McCain

February 25, 2011 at 1:09 am |
    • Take Note

Again.....Just one CFR puppet supporting another Council on Foreign Relations puppet.

February 25, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  11. Reality

The truth about BO and his "Christianity":

Obama, the leader of the Immoral Majority, rode to the Blood-Red House on the backs of 35+million aborted womb-babies!!!

(The fastest growing USA voting bloc: The 70+ million "Roe vs. Wade mothers and fathers" of aborted womb-babies" whose ranks grow by two million per year.)

i.e. the Immoral Majority now rules the land and will do so in the foreseeable future. How very sad and disturbing!!!

2008 Popular vote 69,456,897 for BO 59,934,814 for JM

February 25, 2011 at 12:32 am |
  12. Brandie Thomas CCBC

I agree with Huckabee when he said, “He has personally articulated, not once but numerous times, of his Christian faith. I also feel it is his own business and it isn’t fair for others to intrude on it. President Obama and his family are humans just like the rest of us so everything they do shouldn’t be watched or talked about. If its business that involves our country or government then I think the people should voice their opinion. Sometimes I wonder if we as regular citizens could endure the criticism and embarrassment he goes through. With that being said I’ll say personal business is personal business, that’s it.

February 24, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
  13. James Savik

I can't stand Huckleberry. The last thing we need is another religious nut in the big chair. The last one nearly did us in and That's coming from a republican.

February 24, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
  14. Muneef

The respectable and honorable President Barak Obama is having even much more knowledge that those plain Christians who had not been out off their nutshell or read any more than brain poisons ...

February 24, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
    • omegarising

Respectable? Honorable? You just made me vomit a little in my mouth. You are truly an intellectual midget.

February 25, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Muneef,
      So you believe that B.O. is lying when he says he is Christian and perhaps you believe that he is a learned Muslim?

February 25, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Muneef

CatholicMom.

How would I know what is in his heart ? Only God can tell or judge! All I said was that he is colorful having been from different races and lived with different nations and faiths....

I have nothing against him personally and know what ever he promised is not easy to fulfill when you have to take permissions first from those who hate to change and hate any change...

I know that many nations youngs of the 3 world have believed in his words and had the courage to face or confronts their leaders.these were his words in Egypt was heard and understood as to him supporting people rather than their leaders...

February 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Muneef

CatholicMom.

The three religions of Abraham – Judaism, Christianity and Islam –
      can and should be viewed as One Religious Tradition that went in Three Different Directions...!

So as it seems our question about him should be whether he is of "The One Tradition or is One of the Three Different Directions"? Well to tell you the truth of my assumption is that he is of the one tradition which he might have declared it in a concealed way when he said that he is Found of The late President "Abraham Lincoln" and would only take the oath on the old Abrahams Holy Book...that is I remember well...at that he is much better situation for all faiths to be brought together and bring peace than him being only One of the different directions?! Hope you realize the importance of that being true?!

February 25, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Muneef,
      Being of a ‘Tradition of three directions’ is certainly a new way to look at it if you are so inclined. However, I believe there is only One Path and only One Way; deviating and going off the Path and into other directions, is, in my way of thinking, a way which could lead one to get lost. I am one who loves adventure but if I am on a destination I hold to my mapped out direction….especially if I am also on a time line.

February 26, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  15. Lindsey Brutus

Mike Huckabee received 40% of the black vote in his re-election for his final term as Arkansas governor. He can put the African-American vote into play for the GOP and because of that, he is the only Republican that can beat Obama in 2012! That is IF he decides to run. If he does he has my vote. Huck epitomizes the meaning of the word class and he would bring back so much of our lost credibility overseas and would inspire us here to come together and do better!

February 24, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  16. Brian

Born in Kenya, named Barack Hussein, spent years in Indonesia, he's a muslim.

February 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • The Bobinator

And yet somehow, not a single person has been able to prove this in a court of law. You're a poor troll, that concept has been beaten to death. You'd have been better off spelling obama wrong and claiming he's a terrorist.

February 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • Anglican

Who?

February 24, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  17. mr. rosewater

I read the pdf file and it makes me sick. Most of the founding fathers were not too keen on the idea of religion in public life. Shame on any politicians, conservative and liberal, who believe that religion should be forced down our throats. Religion is the worst thing to happen to humans. Ever. Worse than atomic bombs. The world would be a much better place without religion.

February 24, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • jf

I agree...if you actually took time to study the bible, you would see that Jesus corrected and rebuked religious hypocrites. What he desired was genuine faith...not perfection.

February 24, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • Adheeb

I am a Christian and I'm not trying to force Christianity down anyone's throat. If fact, I believe that it is the Christain faith which first introduced the concept of religious freedom. In Mark 16 you'll find that it is what a person 'believes' that make him/her a Christian -or- a non-christian. You can't force anyone to believe anything ... it is what is in your heart -or- isn't.

However, as a Christian I am interrested in whether or not Mr. Obama is a Christian. That may affect how I vote. This is a free country and I'll use any criteria I want to make that determination. You may not like how I come to that decision but that's your problem not mine. I can vote for or against any candidate for any reason I want to. I don't need your permission or anyone elses.

Huckabee probably just wanted to avoid a controversy but no Christian could possibly believe that Obama is a Christian.

February 25, 2011 at 11:44 am |
    • CatholicMom

if,
      Be perfect as your father in Heaven is perfect. [Bible verse]

February 25, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  18. The Truth

Kudos to Hucky. It is amazingly refreshing to see someone from either party stand up for what is right. There are countless Republicans and Democrats who just tote the party line for the sake of toting the party line. (For the record, I have no affiliation, though I am a registered Republican but would consider myself closest to Libertarian.)

In this case, the Republicans have put forth countless lies such as Obama being a Muslim (not that there is anything wrong with that if he was), that he isn't a natural born citizen (despite the docments being able to be seen online), etc, etc, etc and they've got their mindless sheep believing a massive percentage of this crap.

While I actually think Hucky is all in all pretty genuine as far as politicians are concerned, I could never in a million years vote for someone who doesn't think evolution exists. It is just delusional. In the National Debate, he said, "If anyone wants to believe they are descendants of a primate, they are certainly welcome to do it... I don't know how far they will march that back, but I believe that all of us in this room are unique creations of a God who knows us and loves us and created us for his own purpose." Frightening.

Anyway, good job Mike!

February 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Lindsey Brutus

February 24, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
    • Bob

> Truth: How does his belief in creation make him a better or worse candidate for president?

Because it shows he's ignoring proven fact to accomidate his own beliefs. A president should make a decison based on what is in front of him, not what he thinks.

February 24, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • The Truth

@ Lindsey: "Truth: How does his belief in creation make him a better or worse candidate for president? It has nothing to do with whether he would be a good president!!!!!!! I say he would be a great president!"

Hi Lindsey... I agree with what Bob said in his response.

It isn't necessary the topic of creation that is the issue, but rather his blatant display of delusion. If he is delusional about a topic as basic as evolution, then what else is he delusional about? If an atheist came out and said that the world is flat, I wouldn't vote for him/her for President either because they too are delusional about a basic concept.

In the quote I provided above he doubts that we are descendants of primates. WE ARE PRIMATES. Humans are in the Kingdom of Animalia and the Order of Primates.

This is PRECISELY the reason why I couldn't vote for John McCain in the last election because he selected Post-Turtle Palin as his running mate. In case you are wondering what a Post Turtle is: When you're driving down a country road and you see a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a post turtle. You know she didn't get up there by herself. You know she doesn't belong there. She can't get anything done while she's up there and you just want to help the poor, helpless thing down.

There is NO WAY I could have ever in good conscious cast a vote with her on the ticket. In fact, every American should be ashamed if they cast a vote for McCain/Palin. Do Americans not take our country serious enough to realize that a woman who believes man co-existed with dinosaurs, the Earth is only several thousand years old, doesn't know that Africa is a continent, can't name magazines that she reads, etc, etc, etc has NO BUSINESS WHATSOEVER being within 100 miles of the nuclear button???

In the case of Hucky, I don't want someone who displays signs of blatant delusion (which is an actual mental disorder as defined by the DSM) making critical decisions in potential wartime with full command of the nuclear button. Nor do I want a post turtle with her finger on the nuclear button. If McCain had picked Tina Fey to be his running mate instead of Sarah Palin, he would have been a thousand times more likely to get my vote because at least Tina is intelligent.

Peace!

February 25, 2011 at 5:51 am |
    • CRAIG

February 25, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • CatholicMom

Craig,
      Also his stance on abortion is not family oriented.

February 25, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • The Truth

testing please ignore:

@ Craig: "I agree with Huckabee, We have no right to question OBAMAS Faith, that is between Him and God.. We do have the right to judge his fruits, what he says, if it lines up with the Word of God. Which his latest decision on marriage equality does not."

So you mean that his latest decision to not discriminate against people isn't in line with the Bible? Do unto to others as you would want them to do unto you? So you wish you couldn't be married?

None of that even begins to talk about how there is Separation of Church and State in this country. Obama and every President's job is to follow the Const-itutional laws of the land, not to impose religious beliefs (or more apropos not to impose religious discriminatory tactics).

Ho-mos-exuals are treated as second class citizens by many in this country because of people like yourselves. Sure, people have become more tolerant, but they are still not treated equally as our the basis for what our country was founded upon. "ALL men are created equal," not "straight men," "not "tall men," not "Asian men," but rather "ALL men" and they are enti-tled to "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." In any event, staying away from the political side of it, ironically it is the Christian right that does not want gay marriages.

Christians believe it is a sin and they take a handful of passages out of the Bible, pretend that they are 100% correct in their interpretation of it and that makes it OK to look down upon the gays. Then there are the people that say, "Marriage No, but Civil Union Yes." I've heard that before... "White Drinking Fountain over here, Black Drinking Fountain over there."

It is common perception that we are well past that stage in our nation's history, but clearly we are not. We are still living in a society where some groups of people do not have the same rights as others thanks to the massive xenophobia of some.

How many people did Jesus discriminate against in the Bible again?

The mere notion that the Bible is clear about gay marriage is hilarious. The Bible isn't clear about hardly anything... in fact it contradicts itself starting in THE VERY FIRST TWO CHAPTERS of Genesis when the order of creation is mixed up to having only 2 of the 4 Gospel writers bothering to talk about the birth of Jesus (and those two accounts conflict with each other while also providing timelines which make it impossible for Jesus to have been born based on their accounts) to 3 of the 4 Gospel writers not agreeing on what the final words of Jesus were. If I saw the Son of God die right in front me, I think I'd remember his last words verbatim.... wouldn't you?

I'm sure all of you will agree that God also created sheep. Jesus called himself the "Shepherd" and referred to us as his "Sheep." With that in mind, science has proven that around 8% of all male sheep are gay. Jesus could have just as easily chosen "I am the mountain and you are the pebbles" but he specifically did not. In fact, shepherds have known about gay sheep for a long time and even have their own name for them calling them "shy breeders." Thus, it would make sense that shepherds back in Jesus' day would have been certainly been aware of this fact as well. So did God just mess up or was Jesus simply a dolt who couldn't make a proper analogy? If God and Jesus are omniscient and omnipotent, then surely they would have been aware of this. Thus, maybe it is YOU that is the one who has it all backwards with regard to the gay issue.

If God hated ho-mos-exuality so much, then he wouldn't have created gay sheep and a host of other gay mammals (including all of those with the utmost brain power in the animal kingdom). He also would have made it one of the Ten Commandments, yet he thought it was worse to covet your neighbor's possessions than to be gay. Oh yeah, and the Romans and Greeks were having ho-mos-exual s-ex with CHILDREN well before Jesus ever set foot on the Earth and yet Jesus "coincidentally" doesn't talk about the horrors of ho-mos-exuality over and over again as he does with other recurring themes in the Bible.

None of this even begins to talk about the simple fact that if God was REALLY so abhorred by ho-mos-exuality, he simply wouldn't have made the "parts" fit. This is precisely why we don't have "nostril s-ex." Oral s-ex isn't used for procreation, yet the vast, vast majority of Christian couples practice this. Good thing there is no hypocrisy there.

As for the interpretation of the Bible and its "clear" message about ho-mos-exuality, it also COMMANDS you to kill everyone that works on Sundays, to kill children who talk back to their parents, etc, etc, etc... yet I don't see you running around doing that now do I? In fact, it commands you to kill these same ho-mos-exuals you are discriminating against, yet you aren't out doing that either. Must be nice to cherry pick out the parts of the Bible that fit your own mental schemas to cover up your blatant xenophobia.

Get a clue and stop hiding your discrimination toward others that are different from yourselves by crouching behind your 2,000 year old book written by men who would have still believed the Earth to be flat and think for yourself.

The irony is that these are God's children that you are discriminating against.

I was on a different site before coming here and they limited character counts in posts and so I created a site to be able to answer their questions and respond with links instead. This link below uses the word "Catholic" but just replace that with "Christian" because this particular topic applies to both. So please feel free to read about what your God REALLY thinks about ho-mose-xuality based on PHYSICAL things that HE created. As the phrase goes, "Actions speak louder than words," so take a few minutes of your life and educate yourself as to what God actually created:

Peace to all.

February 25, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
    • The Truth

@ Craig: Please ignore the "testing please ignore" above as I had to test this on a different thread to get rid of bad words here like "Const-itution" and I forgot to remove the warning above. Thanks.

February 25, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
    • The Truth

@ CatholicMom: "Also his stance on abortion is not family oriented."

Just wondering... do you realize how many abortions the Pope has caused by running around telling people not to use birth control and how many people will die from AIDS because he says that co-ndoms don't protect against that either?

February 25, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
    • Lindsey Brutus

Truth: Until someone finds "The Missing Link" then I will believe in creation. I guess me and Huck don't meet your qualifications for president. Oh well! I hope you would let me operate on you to save your life. Or fix your car, serve your dinner, etc. Do you see where I'm going with this? If Huck has proven that he can govern (He has) then I don't buy your argument that he isn't qualified to be president. I do respect your opinion but I don't understand it.

March 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  19. The Bobinator

What a hypocrite...

I love Obama. I hate Obama. Different stores to different people eh Huckabee.

February 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • Luke

I just barfed a little in my mouth.

February 24, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  20. The Bobinator

Anyone see the ignorant and idiotic letter Huckabee sent out for support? It's disgusting.

February 24, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • huh

link?

February 24, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • The Bobinator

Link is now below. Had to grab it. 😀

February 24, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • Brettster

Adheed: No Christian could possibly believe that Obama is a Christian? I'm Christian and I believe he is also. Doe's this also mean Huckabee is not a Christian?

February 25, 2011 at 4:03 pm |