home
RSS
February 24th, 2011

Man who threatened 'South Park' creators gets 25 years in prison

A 21-year-old man who admitted posting online threats against the creators of the animated TV series "South Park" was sentenced Thursday to 25 years in prison.

Zachary Adam Chesser encouraged violent jihadists to attack "South Park" writers for an episode that depicted the Prophet Mohammed in a bear suit, court documents said.

Read the full story
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Islam

1. Jeff

btw, I TOTALLY DESPISE Southpark as well, but really that was not germaine (sp) to this topic of discussion.

To: Justina

Johnson, the US youth must read books written by authentic scholars if they want to learn anything. Entertaintment is the worst place to learn anything especially on religion and history. Otherwise, keep being enslaved by the super-rich or Chinese or by both.

Have you ever read The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis? You might be suprised to find that Mr. Lewis was very religious AND that you will find these books found not only in the fantasy section of your favorite bookstore, but also in the religious section. Why? Because the stories are based upon his version of Heaven, Hell, Satan, and Jesus. Aslan (the Lion) being Jesus of course.

I just thought you'd like to perhaps check a few of your own facts before making blanket statements such as this.

You might also like to know that Mr. Lewis was great friends with J.R.R. Tolkien (The Lord of The Rings Trilogy)

Have fun with that one 😉

February 25, 2011 at 10:25 am |
    • Justina

Jeff, thank you. I read all 7 books of Narnia long time ago. I loved them. C. S. Lewis – a godly genius. But one needs to read his "Mere Christianity" in order to learn Christian faith. Chronicles of Narnia are not theological books though the references are clear. Jeff, I was replying to Mr. Johnson. You need to read his letter in order to understand my letter. I really think youth today must read more books in order to deepen thought, not watching moving images all the time.

February 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  2. Jeff

First of all, I am a Christian. I was born and raised a Baptist for the first half of my life, but for the last 20+ years, I have been a Mormon. (We are Christians too.) I have a friend that believes in God, and kind of mocks Allah, which I don't really get, because they (God and Allah) are supposed to be the same spirit. But I was just looking at an English translation of the Qu'ran and frankly I was shocked at a few things that I found out about what it said concerning Moses, the Trinity, and Jesus Christ

That isn't really what I wanted to discuss here though What I wanted to discuss is the fact that the Mohammed in the Qu'ran is a prophet of Allah, therefore, he is just a man like any other. This being the case, my question is, what is the big deal about his picture/portrait/painting/impression/characature(sp) being depicted as long as it is not being done in a demeaning manner?

I understand about the Islamic faith, I don't agree with it, but I do understand it. Still, Mohammed was a man, with human faults.

Jesus Christ was a prophet too, as well as the Living Son of God. Joseph Smith was a prophet. Moses, Isaiah, Ezekiel, John the Revelator,and currently we have Thomas S. Monson. All worthy men of God. All (save Jesus Christ Himself) fallable men, but still worthy men, and prophets, and men of good character.

The point I am trying to make here is that they are men, and it is ok to show their picture/portrait/painting/impression/characature(sp) as long as it is done with the proper respect and tone. Do I think poking fun at someone elses religion is a good idea? Absolutely not! Earlier in this thread Drin said correctly, "don't talk politics or religion". Let me add that it is because just like everyone has their own anal orifices, they also have their own opinions, and they ALL stink!

February 25, 2011 at 9:39 am |
    • Frogist

@Jeff: I posted my explanation of why muslims do not have images of Mohammed in a reply to Mr Johnson earlier. Basically, because portrayal of the man and prophet, Mohammed as an image would be tantamount to idolatry. Because you run the risk of worshipping the picture instead of the spirit of Mohammed. I'm sure a more informed commenter would be able to give a more detailed explanation. Most mosques don't even have imagery of any kind, but instead have opted to use patterns and mosaics as decoration, for the sake of staying away from the whole image/idol issue. An analogy is how catholics are accused of idolatry because of how they treat the statues and images of their saints.
      My opinion of why Americans are so confused about the use of Mohammed's image, is because Christians identify themselves by displaying their crucifix. The image itself has become an show of faith. Jews were made to wear the star of David in the holocaust. And that, to some extent has cemented the presentation of that symbol also as a show of faith. Muslims do not have the same relationship with imagery and religion that we in America are used to. But christians are not un-used to controversy regarding images of Jesus. Is he white? Is he black? Can you use him as a symbol of peace or oppression? Can he be depicted in modern art or portrayals that are critical of religion? True, he is/was just a man, but because he is sacred to Christians, how he is portrayed is still very controversial.

February 25, 2011 at 11:32 am |
    • Justina

Jeff, John the Baptist was the last prophet of God and then the era of prophets was over, since Jesus God's Son came to the world. (Matthew 11:13, Hebrews 1:1,2)

February 27, 2011 at 6:03 am |
  3. Justina

South Park deserves 25,000 years in prison.

February 25, 2011 at 8:41 am |
    • SeanNJ

@Justina: Your viewpoint offends me, so I think you do too.

February 25, 2011 at 10:11 am |
  4. Brock

wow 25 years for threatening someone. That seems like a bit much to me. I could understand 2-5 years.

February 25, 2011 at 7:25 am |
    • SeanNJ

Read the full story. The threats were only one of three charges, and the least egregious of the bunch.

February 25, 2011 at 8:35 am |
  5. Justina

Religion is like one's own family members, best friend, race or nationality for believers. The self-bashing Americans from broken homes without a true friend may never understand this, but religion is something religious people cherish, more than life itself. It's all right if you simply point out what's wrong with my religion, but if you mock it, you are mocking everything I am and everything I have. If you are living for atheism and ready to die for it, register them as a religion. I'll not make fun of it in public for you. But the fact is, you atheists don't care. It doesn't matter to you whether God exists or not. You claim to be atheist because you want to hate the image of a god you crafted up in your filthy mind and enjoy calling us believers bad names, though the God we know is nothing like atheists imagine. And you think you can always ask easy forgiveness in the last minute in a case you must confront God. But life is much more serious and severe than that. I encourage unbelievers to read the Bible, go back to church and re-study what you gave up before, because Jesus is the only Way, the Truth and the Life, after all.

February 25, 2011 at 5:03 am |
    • Reality

Saving Muslims like Justina is quite easy!!!

The Five Steps To Deprogram 1400 Years of Islamic Myths:

( –The Steps take less than two minutes to finish- simply amazing, two minutes to bring peace and rationality to over one billion lost souls- Priceless!!!)

Are you ready?

Using "The 77 Branches of Islamic "faith" a collection compiled by Imam Bayhaqi as a starting point. In it, he explains the essential virtues that reflect true "faith" (iman) through related Qur’anic verses and Prophetic sayings." i.e. a nice summary of the Koran and Islamic beliefs.

The First Five of the 77 Branches:

"1. Belief in Allah"

aka as God, Yahweh, Zeus, Jehovah, Mother Nature, etc. should be added to your cleansing neurons.

"2. To believe that everything other than Allah was non-existent. Thereafter, Allah Most High created these things and subsequently they came into existence."

Evolution and the Big Bang or the "Gi-b G-nab" (when the universe starts to recycle) are more plausible and the "akas" for Allah should be included if you continue to be a "crea-tionist".

"3. To believe in the existence of angels."

A major item for neuron cleansing. Angels/de-vils are the mythical creations of ancient civilizations, e.g. Hitt-ites, to explain/define natural events, contacts with their gods, big birds, sudden winds, protectors during the dark nights, etc. No "pretty/ug-ly wingy thingies" ever visited or talked to Mohammed, Jesus, Mary or Joseph or Joe Smith. Today we would classify angels as f–airies and "tin–ker be-lls". Modern de-vils are classified as the de-mons of the de-mented.

"4. To believe that all the heavenly books that were sent to the different prophets are true. However, apart from the Quran, all other books are not valid anymore."

Another major item to delete. There are no books written in the spirit state of Heaven (if there is one) just as there are no angels to write/publish/distribute them. The Koran, OT, NT etc. are simply books written by humans for humans.

Prophets were invented by ancient scribes typically to keep the un-educated masses in line. Today we call them for-tune tellers.

Prophecies are also invali-dated by the natural/God/Allah gifts of Free Will and Future.

"5. To believe that all the prophets are true. However, we are commanded to follow the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him)
      alone."
      Mohammed spent thirty days "fasting" (the Ramadan legend) in a hot cave before his first contact with Allah aka God etc. via a "pretty wingy thingy". Common sense demands a neuron deletion of #5. #5 is also the major source of Islamic vi-olence i.e. turning Mohammed's "fast, hunger-driven" hallu-cinations into horrible reality for unbelievers.
      Walk these Five Steps and we guarantee a complete recovery from your Islamic ways!!!!

Unfortunately, there are not many Muslim commentators/readers on this blog so the "two-minute" cure is not getting to those who need it. If you have a Muslim friend, send him a copy and help save the world.

February 25, 2011 at 5:19 am |
    • Justina

Reality, I'm Christian, not a Muslim. I don't read your comments because they are too long and un-trustworthy. Make them short, readable and meaningful.

February 25, 2011 at 5:32 am |
    • Justina

And Reality, write your own words. Don't paste a lengthy stuff from who-knows-where because I won't read your garbage. You are not even Muslim; you can't teach me on Islam. I already studied on religions from authentic sources; I don't need your incoherent pieces of information. You have nothing to say on what you believe because atheism is altogether content-less and meaningless. Please don't hurt yourself at the end of your insanity; that's the only thing I worry for you.

February 25, 2011 at 5:44 am |
    • Reality

Saving all Christians to include Justina in less than 55 words or less:

From that famous passage: In 1 Corinthians 15 St. Paul reasoned, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith."

"Heaven is a Spirit state" as per JPII and Aquinas i.e. there can be no bodies. i.e. there was and never will be any physical resurrection/ascension of human bodies."

February 25, 2011 at 8:19 am |
    • Justina

Reality, dishonest study will get you nowhere. You didn't read anything completely. There are different "stages" of Heaven. For example, Paradise is not New Jerusalem, though both are Heaven. Study fully with honesty, Reality. You are fortunate; though Christians know you are posting complete ignorance all the time, we only pray for your best.

February 25, 2011 at 8:39 am |
    • Reality

1 Corinthians 15 (New International Version, ©2010)

"The Resurrection of Christ

1 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas,[b] and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born. "

February 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • Justina

Reality, the chapter 15 has 58 verses. And I Corinthians alone has 16 chapters. What's your point? Did you cut up your Bible at 15:7?

February 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Reality

1 Corinthians 15 (New International Version, ©2010)

1 Corinthians 15

The Resurrection of Christ

9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 11 Whether, then, it is I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

The Resurrection of the Dead

12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. 24 Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27 For he “has put everything under his feet.”[c] Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. 28 When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.

29 Now if there is no resurrection, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them? 30 And as for us, why do we endanger ourselves every hour? 31 I face death every day—yes, just as surely as I boast about you in Christ Jesus our Lord. 32 If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus with no more than human hopes, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised,

“Let us eat and drink,
      for tomorrow we die.”[d]

33 Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”[e] 34 Come back to your senses as you ought, and stop sinning; for there are some who are ignorant of God—I say this to your shame.

The Resurrection Body
      35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?” 36 How foolish! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. 37 When you sow, you do not plant the body that will be, but just a seed, perhaps of wheat or of something else. 38 But God gives it a body as he has determined, and to each kind of seed he gives its own body. 39 Not all flesh is the same: People have one kind of flesh, animals have another, birds another and fish another. 40 There are also heavenly bodies and there are earthly bodies; but the splendor of the heavenly bodies is one kind, and the splendor of the earthly bodies is another. 41 The sun has one kind of splendor, the moon another and the stars another; and star differs from star in splendor.
      42 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; 43 it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44 it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.

If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living being”[f]; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit. 46 The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual. 47 The first man was of the dust of the earth; the second man is of heaven. 48 As was the earthly man, so are those who are of the earth; and as is the heavenly man, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 And just as we have borne the image of the earthly man, so shall we[g] bear the image of the heavenly man.

50 I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51 Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52 in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53 For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54 When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”[h]

55 “Where, O death, is your victory?
      Where, O death, is your sting?”[i]

56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

58 Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.

February 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Reality

Justina et al,

Many of the books listed at http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html will help you heal as you escape the brainwashing that most of us were bred and born into. The authors of these books have thoroughly evaluated the gospels, epistles and as-sociated docu-ments written in the mid first century to early third century CE and have done an excellent job in separating truth (e.g. the crucifixion) from fiction (e.g. the resurrection) and embellishment ( e.g. the Last Supper).

February 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • Justina

Reality, it's okay, since I myself read and evaluated the entire Bible and other associated writings and found out that the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth is historical truth. If you only read even a Gospel, you'd have known your favorite authors are absurd.

February 25, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Reality

Bringing Justina et al up to date on just some of the references used by today's NT scholars:

1. Historical Jesus Theories, earlychristianwritings.com/theories.htm – the names of many of the contemporary historical Jesus scholars and the ti-tles of their over 100 books on the subject.

2. Early Christian Writings, earlychristianwritings.com/
      – a list of early Christian doc-uments to include the year of publication–

30-60 CE Passion Narrative

200-250 Books of Jeu

200-300 Pistis Sophia

200-300 Coptic Apocalypse of Peter

203 Acts of Perpetua and Felicitas

203-250 Origen

3. Historical Jesus Studies, faithfutures.org/HJstudies.html,
      – "an extensive and constantly expanding literature on historical research into the person and cultural context of Jesus of Nazareth"
      4. Jesus Database, faithfutures.org/JDB/intro.html–"The JESUS DATABASE is an online annotated inventory of the traditions concerning the life and teachings of Jesus that have survived from the first three centuries of the Common Era. It includes both canonical and extra-canonical materials, and is not limited to the traditions found within the Christian New Testament."
      5. Josephus on Jesus mtio.com/articles/bissar24.htm
      6. The Jesus Seminar, mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/seminar.html#Criteria
      7. Writing the New Testament- mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/testament.html
      8. Health and Healing in the Land of Israel By Joe Zias
      joezias.com/HealthHealingLandIsrael.htm
      9. Economics in First Century Palestine, K.C. Hanson and D. E. Oakman, Palestine in the Time of Jesus, Fortress Press, 1998.
      10. 7. The Gnostic Jesus
      (Part One in a Two-Part Series on Ancient and Modern Gnosticism)
      by Douglas Groothuis: equip.org/free/DG040-1.htm
      11. The interpretation of the Bible in the Church, Pontifical Biblical Commission
      Presented on March 18, 1994
      ewtn.com/library/CURIA/PBCINTER.HTM#2
      12. The Jesus Database- newer site:
      wiki.faithfutures.org/index.php?t-itle=Jesus_Database
      13. Jesus Database with the example of Supper and Eucharist:
      faithfutures.org/JDB/jdb016.html
      14. Josephus on Jesus by Paul Maier:
      mtio.com/articles/bissar24.htm
      15. The Journal of Higher Criticism with links to articles on the Historical Jesus:
      mtio.com/articles/bissar24.htm
      16. The Greek New Testament: laparola.net/greco/
      17. Diseases in the Bible:
      etd.unisa.ac.za/ETD-db/theses/available/etd-08022006-125807/unrestricted/02dissertation.pdf
      18. Religion on Line (6000 articles on the history of religion, churches, theologies,
      theologians, ethics, etc.
      religion-online.org/
      19. The Jesus Seminarians and their search for NT authenticity:
      mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/seminar.html#Criteria
      20. The New Testament Gateway – Internet NT ntgateway.com/
      21. Writing the New Testament- existing copies, oral tradition etc.
      ntgateway.com/
      22. The Search for the Historic Jesus by the Jesus Seminarians:
      members.aol.com/DrSwiney/seminar.html
      23. Jesus Decoded by Msgr. Francis J. Maniscalco (Da Vinci Code review)jesusdecoded.com/introduction.php
      24. JD Crossan's scriptural references for his book the Historical Jesus separated into time periods: faithfutures.org/Jesus/Crossan1.rtf
      25. JD Crossan's conclusions about the authencity of most of the NT based on the above plus the conclusions of other NT exegetes in the last 200 years:
      faithfutures.org/Jesus/Crossan2.rtf
      26. Common Sayings from Thomas's Gospel and the Q Gospel: faithfutures.org/Jesus/Crossan3.rtf
      27. Early Jewish Writings- Josephus and his books by t-itle with the complete translated work in English :earlyjewishwritings.com/josephus.html
      28. Luke and Josephus- was there a connection?
      infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/lukeandjosephus.html
      29. NT and beyond time line:
      pbs.org/empires/peterandpaul/history/timeline/
      30. St. Paul's Time line with discussion of important events:
      harvardhouse.com/prophetictech/new/pauls_life.htm
      31. See http://www.amazon.com for a list of JD Crossan's books and those of the other Jesus Seminarians: Reviews of said books are included and selected pages can now be viewed on Amazon. Some books can be found on-line at Google Books.
      32. Father Edward Schillebeeckx's words of wisdom as found in his books.
      33. The books of the following : Professors Marcus Borg, Paula Fredriksen, Elaine Pagels, Karen Armstrong and Bishop NT Wright.
      34. Father Raymond Brown's An Introduction to the New Testament, Doubleday, NY, 1977, 878 pages, with Nihil obstat and Imprimatur.
      35. Luke Timothy Johnson's book The Real Jesus

February 25, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • Justina

Reality, non-canonnical books were all rejected by the Church Fathers because those were not written by the eye-witnesses of Jesus and the quality of the contents simply proved not to be worthy by texual criticism. Unless you read the actual Bible, you will always be stuck to unimportant things and waste your life. Read the Bible, Reality. The Catholic Bible has some additional books but it doesn't touch any doctrine so the presence or absense of those extra books does not matter. All 66 books of the Protestant Canon Bible are essential.

February 27, 2011 at 5:06 am |
    • Justina

Reality, the entire NT Canon was written between mid-fifties to 95 AD.

February 27, 2011 at 5:10 am |
  6. Amalia Sheran Sharm

So the makers of South Park can live out revenge fantasies against celebrities every week on their show, but as soon as someone tries the same against them, they freak out and run to their lawyers? Yet another case of "comedians" (and I use the term loosely) being completely unable to take what they dish out.

February 25, 2011 at 3:44 am |
    • SeanNJ

It doesn't surprise me you can't make the distinction. The Abrahamic religions aren't known for producing great thinkers.

February 25, 2011 at 8:38 am |
    • Justina

SeanNJ, the fact is, there hasn't been any thinker at all outside of Abrahamic religions.

February 25, 2011 at 9:36 am |
    • Frogist

@Justina: Socrates, the Dalai Lama, Ghandi – are we forgetting them? Or ignoring them?

February 25, 2011 at 11:40 am |
    • Justina

Frogist, Socrates spoke only from common sense. Dalai Lama is famous just because China persecutes Tibet; he said nothing new. Ghandi was heavily influenced by Christianity. Meanwhile, the Western conscience, therefore the world's, is built upon Judeo-Christian value because it has everything and loftiest at that. You secular Westerners are a case of bad kids who slander the best parents when you bash Christianity. You think everything truly good you have has become suddenly yours all at once, forgetting it was carefully handed down to you from your Christian forefathers. No wonder you believe in a non-sense such as big bang, ignoring the life-Provider(God).

February 25, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Justina: I'm genuinely saddened when I read comments like yours, because it shows just how insidious and complete a religious indoctrination can be. I sincerely hope it brings you some sort of peace, because it truly pains me to see someone so clearly lost.

February 25, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  7. doctore0

Makes me think about American pastors going to Africa and pushing for death penalty for gays...

February 25, 2011 at 3:02 am |
  8. doctore0

Makes me thing about American pastors going to Africa and pushing for death penalty for gays...

February 25, 2011 at 3:02 am |
  9. tallulah13

Repost because of moderation:

You have a shocking lack of tolerance for others. You obviously don't understand American culture or our const itution, which insures us the the right to think and speak as we choose. Perhaps governments should hunt down radical religious zealots.That would make the world much safer so that they can tackle more important duties.

February 24, 2011 at 11:08 pm |
  10. Justina

Westerners are funny they want peace and security while angering everyone else in the world with their stupid mockeries and indecencies. Governments should hunt down stupid blasphemous comedians; that'll make the world safer and reduce the police work so they can tackle other important duties.

February 24, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • SeanNJ

To paraphrase Andrew Mueller, just because someone believes in an invisible man doesn't mean the rest of us are obligated to take it seriously.

February 24, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
    • HarshReality

I believe in the Flying Spagetti Monster. Therefore you must believe also. If you do not, you risk offending the believers in this One True Religion. . .

February 25, 2011 at 12:08 am |
    • Reality

Justina,

Add me to your list of blasphemers!!!

Mohammed was an illiterate, womanizing, lust and greed-driven, warmongering, hallucinating Arab, who also had embellishing/hallucinating/plagiarizing scribal biographers who not only added "angels" and flying chariots to the koran but also a militaristic agenda to support the plundering and looting of the lands of non-believers.

This agenda continues as shown by the ma-ssacre in Mumbai, the as-sas-sinations of Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh, the conduct of the seven Muslim doctors in the UK, the 9/11 terrorists, the 24/7 Sunni suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the 24/7 Shiite suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the Islamic bombers of the trains in the UK and Spain, the Bali crazies, the Kenya crazies, the Pakistani “koranics”, the Palestine suicide bombers/rocketeers, the Lebanese nutcases, the Taliban nut jobs, the Ft. Hood follower of the koran, and the Filipino “koranics”.

And who funds this muck and stench of terror? The warmongering, Islamic, Shiite terror and torture theocracy of Iran aka the Third Axis of Evil and also the Sunni "Wannabees" of Saudi Arabia.

Current crises in Islam:

The Sunni-Shiite blood feud and the warmongering, womanizing (11 wives), hallucinating founder.

February 25, 2011 at 12:18 am |
    • Reality

Saving all Christians to include Justina in 55 words or less:

February 25, 2011 at 8:20 am |
    • Justina

Reality, read the entire I Corinthians chapter 15. "But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead. In Christ all will be made alive. There are heavenly bodies. It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. The dead will be raised imperishable." (verse 20-57) Reality, dishonest study will get you nowhere. You didn't read anything completely. There are different "stages" of Heaven. For example, Paradise(spiritual state) is not New Jerusalem, though both are Heaven. You won't convince even a dog but just please your ignorant atheist friends.

February 25, 2011 at 8:48 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Justina
      Satire is an ancient art form.
      In approximately 2000 BCE, the Ancient Egyptian culture produced a parody called "The Satire of The Trades" in which all trades other than that of scribe were mercilessly mocked.

Chaucer was renowned for his "moral satire" in the 12th century, such as Livre des Manières and the Canterbury Tales. They were considered "moral" becuase they made fun of everybody from a "Christian" perspective.

Elizabethen comedy in England in the 1600's was notoriously rude, crude and vicious – just like Southpark.
      The great philosopher Voltaire wrote many satires which were deemed heretical by the church.
      Swift, from the same era, wrote a little book called "The Shortest-Way with the Dissenters" in which he humourously argued that anyone who disagreed with the church should be brutally and vigorously punished.
      Frighteningly, some people took it seriously and agreed with him.

In 1599, the Archbishop of Cantebury banned all satirical texts and even went to far as to burn books!

Some of the greatest authors from the most advanced cultures in all of history have been satirists and those who have been the subject of satire have always hated it.

You anger towards the purveyors of humour isn't new. Bitter relgionists have forever wanted to silence humourists, but in the end it has been those who pushed for censorship who looked foolish.

February 25, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  11. Justina

Secular Westerners mock religions because they have totally forgotten what "cherish" means because they have nothing to cherish or respect in their lives including their own parents, spouses, children, beliefs or principles. The reason they are able to mock other religions and worship self like insane. Pathetic, pitiful species.

February 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • tallulah13

You have no idea what you are talking about. You are simply like judging people who think differently than you.

February 24, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
    • Smite Me

Justina,

Oh, go suck on a lemon. It might sweeten you up, you bitter, hostile, negative old woman.

February 24, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
    • HarshReality

Oh, I get it now! You are a muslim and are offended by Western freedoms. They don't fit in with your religions all inclusive control scheme. Well, too bad. Don't push your islamist junk and we won't require a resumption of the Crusades.

February 25, 2011 at 12:25 am |
    • Reality

1 Corinthians 15 (New International Version, ©2010)

"The Resurrection of Christ

February 25, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
  12. Justina

I used to respect Americans a lot, but not anymore after seeing these stupid mockery of religions in America. Americans, your racist grandparents were better than you 1000% in character.

February 24, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
    • Mr. Johnson

And why shouldn't we joke on religion?

Seriously, why does something have to be so untouchable that humor can't even grace it. The creators of South Park have gotten millions of American teenagers and young adults into politics and world issues because they present them in a forum we can relate to, humor. They point out the absurdity of extreme viewpoints, one of which is islamic extremists banning the portrayal of muhammad. They've also made fun of Catholicism, Judiaism, Christianity (have you seen their Jesus?), Mormanism, and Scientology. You getting angry at them is just furthering their point, so go ahead and prove them right.

As for me, I think the whole Abraham/Ibriham tradition is a crock, I'm O'Wiccan.

February 24, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
    • Justina

Johnson, Muslims don't want their prophet portrayed. So don't do that. As simple as that. If you think something is wrong, make a statement about it. I think South Park just proved how Americans are absurd and stupid to all the world.

February 24, 2011 at 10:08 pm |

February 24, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • Justina

Johnson, why do you need to joke on religions when you don't have to, knowing it inflicts on others immense pain? You guys are evil and have no character. Stupid filthy abuse of freedom. What you have is not freedom but uncontrolled evil. Your forefathers didn't die in wars so you can carry out this stupidity. Shame on South Parlk and all Americans who enjoy it!

February 24, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • tallulah13

That's okay, Justina. I certainly have no respect for your radical, limited viewpoint. Respect is earned, and people who are so radical about their religion that they are willing to kill or condemn for it deserve no respect at all.

Humor is a marvelous way to communicate. Sadly, people like you don't speak the language.

February 24, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
    • HarshReality

@Justina- You said: "Muslims don't want their prophet portrayed. So don't do that. As simple as that"

That is EXACTLY what they want. (for us to "submit" to thier "requirements") Next, you must attend mosque, cover your hair, etc, all not to "offend" their religion. THIS is why we MUST hit it with all the derision needed until they stop making stupid demands. We didn't know how thin-skinned they were untill they murdered Theo Van Goth for the percieved slight to their "prophet". I'd suggest you read up on this mohammed guy, and see what he did to his SIX year old "wife", and how he had his own grandson murdered for disagreeing with his "prophesy".

FYI, the literal translation of islam is: Submission. Think about it before you defend it?

February 25, 2011 at 12:04 am |
    • Reality

Justina,

Some 21st century reality:

Current crises in Islam:

February 25, 2011 at 12:15 am |
    • Frogist

@Mr Johnson: Just as a clarification, muslim extremists have not banned the portrayal of Mohammed. It is a long standing tradition within the religion to treat the image of their prophet as so sacred it is not to be depicted in imagery, which is similar to ildolatry. It may be different from western traditions, but not necessarily or literally extremism. I believe we can think of it like when a Christian considers it harmful or unwise to look upon the face of god.

@Justina: Yes, humor has been used successfully as an educational tool much like music or art has. Certainly it may express opinions we don't always agree with. But we shouldn't shoot the messenger for the message. Religion has been used as a device to do some dangerous things as well as good. And for that it deserves criticism. To be able to speak out is a vital part of American tradition. Once we start saying things are too sacred to criticize, we start a habit of ignoring what may be harmful for the sake of reverence. Certainly we must be respectful of another point of view, but in certain forums, it is ok to give leeway for crude behaviour for the sake of humor especially if it is making an important point.

February 25, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • lee s

such a nice muslim name ,justina. No one cares about your fake god and fake prophet. If it were real, and to say anything against them really a "sin" dont you think they would have smitten us all with their omnipotent power? Dont use your own brain much do you?

February 25, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • fred bazzeeda

Religion, how can one believe in something that has no proof of existence?
      This is not an issue just for Americans. This is a world issue.
      If you have some faith belief, so be it. Keep it to yourself.
      Not forcing the unproven theories and spreading false love and false hate.

Knowledge and truth.
      Not flying spaghetti monsters.

Fred

February 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • Justina

I never knew secular Americans also worship humor not just self. Pathetic... again.

February 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  13. Justina

People shouldn't joke on religion. If they don't agree with a religion, they should state so in a serious way but not mock it in comedy shows or even cartoons. If your good parents get mocked in public, you'd be furious. For many, religion is more important than one's own parents. I think Westerners/Americans simply lost normality of humaness after years of insane immorality in their region. Expect more strifes and disrespect for you if you'd keep mocking other peoples' religions because that's what you want, secular Americans. Making threats are wrong, but South Park should get prison terms for what they have done for all these years.

February 24, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
    • SeanNJ

Please stop whining. You haven't been harmed. You've suffered no real pain, regardless of what you think. The easily offended are nothing short of offensive themselves.

February 24, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
    • Q

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions – Thomas Jefferson

February 24, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
    • lee s

nononononononononononononononononononono and no

February 25, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • fred bazzeeda

Justina, you have simply lost the plot.
      Parody and humour is the foundation of humanity.
      Faith is nothing more than just that....faith. Take it as so. It is not factual based or logic based. Only faith. Therefore, one can not be pressured into taking it as fact or truth. Thus, it makes it open to debate, discussion, argument and yes, parody.
      So. Park creators are genius at that.
      Think open, think free. Not closed and blind.

Peace,
      Fred

February 25, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Unamused

Your self-righteous ignorance is annoying. What RIGHT have you to piously condecend to us? Before you lay the world out in such black and white terms, why don't you experience a little more of it? Without understanding issues from different perspectives, your words are nothing but fraudulent. If you don't find the humor in life, then the joke will always be on you.

February 25, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • MarkinFL

Some people just don't "get" the United States. We have certain freedoms that are basic to our culture and NOTHING will change that short of our destruction. So either ignore it or destroy it. There is no in-between. Oh yeah, and good luck on the second option.

February 25, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
  14. TheRationale

Ha! Punk deserves it. That's what you get when you throw your mind out the window and replace it with a foolish philosophy such as militant theology.

February 24, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  15. RJ

Who fact-checks these posts? This one is incredibly misleading. The South Park threats were only one of three felonies to which Chesser pled guilty, another of which was, "attempting to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization." I'm sure South Park makes a better headline, but that doesn't excuse attributing the 25-year sentence only to the South Park threats.

February 24, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
    • HarshReality

That's true RJ, but it is what got people to read it. They remember the South Park threats, and probably had no idea the other even occured.

February 24, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  16. NM

please check out http://www.islamicsolutions.com/my-log-9-why-they-hate-islam-and-muslims/

February 24, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  17. GSA

@Ron – I agree with what you're saying but you also have to understand that this guy does not represent the religion as a whole, he's a nut case. Most Muslims, Christians, Jews and Catholics I have met are open to discussion and dialogue but it seems that the ones that are shown in the media are usually insecure and defensive when it comes to these types of discussions and give the whole lot a bad name.

February 24, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • honestanon

>GSA

So why aren't members of the 'religion' that is being disparaged voicing this? Oh, right. We should already be aware that they're all nutters. It's just a given. For us not to acknowledge this immediately makes us bigots.

Or was Chesser, aka Abu Talhah al-Amrikee, found guilty in July 2010 of aiding Al-Shabaab, a U.S. designated terrorist organization?

If the American msm is supposedly left-leaning, where was all the 'non-nutter' muslim 'objection' publicized?

February 24, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • Drin

What? You say the ones you have met are "open to discussion and dialogue"? What planet do you live on? The majority of people I have met are not open to opposing points of view. Just the opposite. They show their various levels of indoctrination by how stubborn they are about their "faiths".

Haven't you heard the saying "don't talk politics or religion"? There's a reason for that. Most people can't think past their brainwashed beliefs to have anything like a rational discussion. Just look at the many posts in this "Belief Blog".
      The religious refuse to consider anything that threatens their delusional belief system, just as those old "Cold War" nuts refuse to face the modern world.

As for giving a religion a bad name, they already have bad reputations that could hardly be made worse by one guy doing the "usual things" that the Islamic "faith" is known for. He just happened to be within reach of our anti-terrorist laws.

All that aside, I doubt any person could represent any religion, since they are all open to individual interpretation anyway.

February 24, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • Frogist

@GSA: I agree with you. That is my experience as well with most muslim people I know. The moderates of any religion are the ones who never get the time of day. It's always the outliers who are focused on. And that's because they are the extremes or they wouldn't stand out and nobody would notice them. Folks like honestanon, no matter how much evidence you put under their noses, will always persist in their vengeful anger because they would prefer to see only what they want to see. There was so much response to the South Park threats you couldn't shake a stick without hitting something. The other side of the coin is how far people will go to say "they are so different from us", but when a Christian symbol is used in art, it's automatically shouted down by Christian conservatives. So I just hope the anger towards people like Chesser, are also aimed at religious extremism in every faith including Christianity. Unfortunately, that's not usually the case, and any umbrage taken over someone like Chesser this is just a mask for an anti-Islam bias.

February 25, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • honestanon

>Frogist

Here we go again... second verse, same as the first. Little bit louder, little bit worse.

You suggest that "no matter how much evidence you put under (my) nose, (I) will always persist in vengeful anger." Firstly, my "umbrage" is neither directed to, nor sourced from, Mr. Chesser or his ilk. And reasonable person must acknowledge that extremism, in any flavor, is practiced by unbalanced zealots. We can't take "umbrage" with these poor folks any more than we could despise the mentally ill. Indeed, they are the same.

No, Frogist, my umbrage is not with the bombers. It is with people like you who mitigate and excuse from responsibility members of the sect/religion/cult that the bombers are tarnishing by their actions. You claim that there was "so much response to the South Park threats you couldn't shake a stick without hitting something."

Well, forgive me... but I didn't see it. Maybe you could direct me to some sources? Preferably media? Maybe even with some muslim interviews? Or publications? Or... anything representative of "so much response?"

SS DD

February 25, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Frogist

@honestanon: The last time we did this I posted 4 links for you to read... did you read any of them? If not, why not? It truly bothers me to do the same research for you over again. It strikes me as lazy on your part. Much like other lazy bloggers who make blanket statements with absolutely no evidence for it.

I excuse no one from reponsibility. Even you. But implying that muslims don't condemn violence in favor of freedom of speech just becuase honestanon didn't see anything, is a subjective illusion. And a dangerous one at that.

I encourage you to actually look for articles, media etc. yourself, since you might learn how to be more objective in your own research. Since CNN isn't friendly to putting links in posts, here are a few things to try searching for: Shahed Amanullah, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, altmuslim, huffpost had a number of them, and even CNN has some articles on muslims condemning South Park or freedom of speech death threats.

But if you still can't be bothered, try this link. You might note it's signed by people from all walks of life and sponsored by CAIR:

February 25, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • honestanon

@ Frogist

" The last time we did this I posted 4 links for you to read..."

Do tell? When would that have been? It seems that I haven't spoken with you for quite some time either as LUP or honestanon. Maybe you're... confused. Of course it's a possible lapse on my part, but overall, I tend to remember my interactions with you.

CAIR? You're sourcing CAIR? Then again... of course you are. Silly me.

I've probably cited more research over the last several months in here than you, so kindly put that argument to rest. If I asked you for something, trust me... it was a request made in earnest. You know me well enough to know that I won't intentionally allow for an opening. I tend to cover my derriere.

I'll look at your references, but I'll pass on CAIR, thanks.

February 26, 2011 at 1:46 am |
    • honestanon

@ Frogist

So in your support you're offering a Muslim blogger and a women's rights advocate/past member of the Kenyan Muslim Brotherhood who has renounced Islam. What I asked for was examples of the -Muslim community's- objection to acts of extremism. You alleged that there was "so much (Muslim) response to the South Park threats you couldn't shake a stick without hitting something." I asked for, essentially, supporting doc-umentation in the form of -any- mainstream media interviews, publications, editorials, etc. which might substantiate your claim of "so much (Muslim) response." Of course not from neo-con outlets, but from any, supposedly 'left-leaning' media. Self-promoting bloggers advancing unsubstantiated editorial and personal/political agenda doesn't count.

Nevertheless, I google-news searched for Shahed Amanullah. I got three hits... and one of those referenced a Pakistani citizen named Amanullah who was shot dead while benignly sitting on a stadium field. The other two cites referenced a different Mr. Amanullah's blogs where he insisted that the wave of rebellion surging over the ME was, and would continue to be, "non-violent."

Your 'sources' are a blogger and a former Muslim Brotherhood member, former Dutch politician and presently an AEI researcher and public speaker who has renounced Islam in favor of atheism. She does not 'represent' Islam. They want to kill her. That leaves you with a blogger and CAIR (and HuffPo/AOL, urp..) who hardly represent any independently-doc-umented outpouring of criticism from mainstream Islamists. What they are promoting, imo, is an ongoing propagandized program soft-pedaling Islam as a 'peaceful religion' using gullibility, political correctness, guilt and legal doctrine to advance an otherwise subversive and noxious global theopolitical agenda.

They tried it in Europe; it didn't work. It won't work here. It is what it is, and thankfully our politicians and electorate have opened their eyes. Communities will become increasingly resistant to Muslim intentions, and, like it or not, Islam will be increasingly viewed for what it is. A theocratic form of government. Complete with courts, police, financial and social structures regulated by and enforced with oppressive, archaic and dogmatic doctrine.

Did you know that Ayaan Hirsi Ali believes that the Muslim Brotherhood will win the Egyptian elections in September? So it begins... with young Muslims holding signs saying "No Oil For the West." The world is hoping that angry Muslims are able to exercise restraint and common sense in their new-found freedom. If not, we'll all be very fortunate if the desert isn't turned into glass and the rest of the world's population doesn't die from starvation.

February 26, 2011 at 3:54 am |
  18. The Bobinator

An excellent decision. Let him complain about people talking bad about his religion in prison. LOL.

February 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  19. Ron

also wanted to add that if your religion is so fragile that it can't take being joked about, it isn't much of a religion.

February 24, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • HarshReality

Amen to that Ron!! Hypersensitivity is NOT a good thing, especially when it comes to religion.

February 24, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  20. Ron

Good!
    It should be longer. ANY religion that is so obsessed that it can not accept or tolerate criticism should be questioned.+
    I'm tired of the "my god's bigger than your god" antics. I am a religious person but am not a part of the Abrahamic traditions.
    These three, imo, have issues.

February 24, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • HarshReality

But mine is better!! I KNOW this because it says so right in "the book" that my people wrote about themselves and our God!! Why would they tell an untruth?? To get an advantage with people who were inclined to believe them?? No way!! They were perfect and honest!! How do I KNOW this, you say?? It says so right in "the book" they wrote!!

February 24, 2011 at 8:17 pm |