home
RSS
Jews did not kill Jesus, pope writes in new book
Pope Benedict XVI on March 2, 2011.
March 2nd, 2011

Jews did not kill Jesus, pope writes in new book

The Jewish people are not collectively responsible for the death of Jesus, Pope Benedict XVI writes a book to be published next week.

Many Catholics and other Christians blamed Jews for Jesus' death for hundreds of years, but the Catholic Church formally repudiated that assertion in the 1960s.

Benedict underlines the new position in his book "Jesus of Nazareth."

"Who has insisted on the condemnation of Jesus to death?" he asks in the book, referring to scenes in the Gospels where the people of Jerusalem demand that Roman governor Pontius Pilate have Jesus crucified.

The Gospel of John says the people in question were "the Judeans," but the pope says the term "does not refer to - unlike the modern reader may tend to interpret - the people of Israel as such, and it doesn't even have a 'racist' connotation."

Far from meaning all Jewish people, Benedict writes, "the circle of prosecutors pursuing the death of Jesus" is the "aristocracy of the Temple," or the priesthood.

"Even that is not without exception," he adds in the book, excerpts of which were obtained by CNN.

Benedict has had a difficult relationship with Jews during his six-year papacy.

He infuriated many by welcoming back into the church a rebel bishop who is on record as saying that Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler did not have a systematic plan to murder Europe's Jews. The rebel bishop also minimized the role of the Auschwitz death camp in the Holocaust.

Benedict later ordered the bishop, Richard Williamson, to recant his views, saying the Vatican was not aware of them when it decided to lift his excommunication.

Benedict also put his predecessor, Pius XII, on the path to sainthood, further antagonizing many Jews, who believe the World War II-era pope did little to save Jews from Hitler.

But Benedict also last year became the first pope to visit Rome's main synagogue since 1986, trying to smooth feathers on an annual "Day of Dialogue" with the Jewish community.

The Jewish community "believes that Benedict's desire to continue dialogue is sincere," said Lisa Palmieri-Billig, the American Jewish Committee's liaison to the Holy See, just before the January 2010 meeting. "They believe the dialogue and the relationship are very important."

CNN's Gisella Deputato contributed to this report.

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Catholic Church • Judaism • Pope Benedict XVI

soundoff (1,434 Responses)
  1. facefur

The Romans were the proximate cause of Jesus' death by execution. The Temple priesthood strongly contributed to the Roman decision by agitating the locals. The Romans were intersted in keeping order, and if that meant hanging this crazy guy who irritated the Jewish leaders into creating disturbances, so be it. The Jews of the time, at least the religious leaders, viewed the Romans as conquerors and defilers of their sacred soil. Pilate, like many Roman governors, had little restraint when it came to making examples of those who created trouble.years later when the Romans, infrustration, razed theri temple to the ground and scattered them across the region in the Diaspora. As one writer put it, "They worshipped a jealous, angry and vengeful god, and as a consequence ,they were jealous, angry and vengeful."

It wasn't taht many

March 2, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  2. Seraphimo

Amazes me how in the name of religion, we find ways to kill each other. Jews blamed for the death of Jesus, as though every Jew in the world was against his death. Do you people not realize that his mother, family, apostles, followers were Jewish?? Before the term Christian even existed?? We as Christians find it horrible that Muslims are willing to die for Allah, well, but did we not do the same with the Crusades?? Funny how the 1 commandment Jesus gave everyone – love each other as your brother, has been so conveniently forgotten. If Jesus asked his Father for forgiveness on the cross for the people who sentenced him to death, who the heck are we to judge??

March 2, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  3. Flip

THIS IS A TOTAL LIE... There is no historical or scientific proof of Jesus Christ nor who was at his mocked trial. Lots of Jews was in the area believed to be where Christ was tried, but that is just a geological truth is all. Give us unconditional truth of the existence of Jesus Christ and that Jews indeed were involved and we will buy the stupid book. And bye the way, I believe in Jesus Christ thru my Faith in God and that alone.

March 2, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  4. Jeff

Didn't God kill Jesus. Wasn't it his plan to send down his only son to die for our sins. If he didn't die, he couldn't have died for our sins and then be resureted. But God is Jesus and the holy spirit (the trinity) .... so technically ... it was suicide ... which is a sin by the way. LOL.

March 2, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • "the first and the last and besides me there is no other God"

God is not Jesus thats why it doesn't make since. The bible says that God created Jesus first. the trinity is false. Also when john baptized jesus Gods voice said that this is my son the beloved whom I have approved. So if Jesus was God I guess he was talking to himself. You can use that on for trinitains. not that they would listen

March 2, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  5. Pete

Oh gee...thanks Pope! I guess cuz you said it, it's o.k. What arrogance! Dont you have better things to do like help the hungry, feed the poor, help the sick, help the thousands of children your priests molested. But no...you continue to wear dresses and Prada shoes that costs thousands of dollars.

March 2, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  6. Bobolink

No, That "reverend in Kansas killed Jesus

March 2, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  7. Ivan Bial

I am so happy
    Last night I had my first good nights sleep in over 2,000 years.

March 2, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  8. Jeff

Wow, now the Pope is a lobbyist too...It is amazing how a handful of jews have managed to falsify facts and brainwash the entire world with their lies... Jesus was crucified by jews as much as Moses was tortured by them as much as Palestinians are being slaughtered by them on a daily basis...but Jews have the ART of playing the VICTIM....the holocaust crap....they have been "holocausting" palestinians for 60 years...

March 2, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • kevin

maybe the pope reached this decision on his own, like a normal, thinking human being. but i guess you, being a mental servant, must think that all goyim are mind-controlled by the zionist sorcerers. i guess lesser people need to have the thinking done for them...

March 2, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
  9. Jon

Nope... it wasn't the Jews who killed God's one and only Son. It was MY sin that killed him, in order that I may have life in his name.

March 2, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  10. Mark

The who did??? The Zorasterians?? Talk about your revisionist history.

March 2, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  11. Zeus

God stole my thunder.

March 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • God

Sorry.

March 2, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Odin

To Hel with the both of you.

March 2, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Mother Nature

God! Give Zeus back his thunder then go to your room and wait for Father Time to get home!

March 2, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • God

I said I was sorry, but I broke his lightening bolt so I can't give it back! Please don’t tell dad! I promise I'll get him another one from Hephaestus' forge!

March 2, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  12. kso

This just in from the Pope, Oprah is the new Jesus.

March 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  13. Chris

To hand someone over to be put to death like the leaders of Israel did is the same as killing them. Like most Roman Catholics the Pope does not read the Bible very often. The leaders of Israel said the Jesus's blood should be put on their account. That is not an anti-Jewish statement. As a Christian my Messiah is Jewish and my God is Jewish.

March 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  14. Falconifero

To those who call themselves atheist: God and Jesus are real beings as you are real. Everything that is around you is real, you are touching things with your hands, so your hands and things are real. You do exist because God exists. You believed or not, you liked or not, the God you mock is you God also, He still loves you, which are the reason that you still exist. The God Creator, one day He will call you and call me to judge us. So get ready for it believing and having to Jesus as your Savior and Lord of lords.

March 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Bruce

I feel like that was meant to be an argument, but it was just a baseless assertion.

March 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Drew

Can't prove that God exist or doesn't exist. That's why it's called faith. Don't confuse faith with fact.

March 2, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • Valerie

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but I have to say... Really other than a book, what proof is there? Faith is important, but for those who want proof without having to just believe there is no proof. If a person believes, I hope they made that choice by thinking it through. If they don't believe, I hope they also thought it through. Either way it can't be really proven which is right. The Bible can't be proven to be true because lots of people believe it is.

March 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • Sid

God is NOT a real being. Jesus probably was, but he was HUMAN, and ONLY human. This does not diminish him in my eyes. Rather it elevates him. Jesus was a man with a philosophy of peace and brotherhood that was ahead of its time, and contrary to Roman law. For that he was executed by crucification, a method typical for those days.

I don't see why Christians have to spoil a perfectly good humanist philosophy by grafting onto it a bizarre and irrational mythology of miracles. Many of the biblical stories of Jesus are no more reasonable than the stories of Zeus, Apollo, etc. Yet, ironically, Christians blindly (i.e. on faith) accept their own myths even though they have no more evidence to support them than do the ones they reject as silly.

Faith has been the bane of mankind since it was invented. It's time for everyone to give it up and start treating each other according to the secular principles of reason, respect for the rights of others and mutual benefit. The "Golden Rule" is a pretty good place to start.

Sid

Sid

March 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • yoyoma

So you say.

March 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Mark from Canada

"The story of humans is the story of ideas that shine light into dark corners" (Jill Tarter)

Except for those who adhere to blind faith. If you are blind you are not going to see that light. Open your eyes and look at the magnificence of it all. Stop believing in dummy myths and look at the beauty of natural reality. In comparison, the religious description of God, a man made contraption, is perverse and not at all thrilling to the imagination – it incites hatred, bigotry, war, and ignorance about the world we live in. Life is so much more thrilling and meaningful as an Atheist. I was a member of the autonomic mind numbing religious flock – when I was 12 – then I started to read other books and discovered the true world around me was so much more fascinating than the religious distortion.

March 2, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  15. Middle America

I think ALL Christians no matter what denomination you cling to ought to have mercy on each other as Christ has mercy on you. Sure we may not all agree on certain points of doctrine, but we all hold the truth of Christs death and resurrection and his redeeming grace. Lets all rest in peace with each on these terms. And also be merciful to Jews because they are still chosen of God. All biblical promises regarding Israel and Jews are still valid to Jews and Israel. Christians did not “replace” the Jews as heirs of the promises. We Christian’s are only wild olive branches grafted in to the natural olive tree of Israel.

March 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Mark

Sounds like you've been reading the Book of Mormon, like 2nd Nephi or something?

March 2, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Middle America

No Mark. Its in Romans of the new testament.

March 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Middle America

Jesus Himself said that he has not come to destroy the law and the prophets but to fulfill them. I can’t quote chapter and verse but read through the Book Of Romans it clearly talks of how Christians should act toward Jews.

March 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Middle America

Or Google up books by Clarence Wagner. He is an expert on the subject of Israeli and Christian relationships.

March 2, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  16. SVISWAN

there was once a time that muslims protected the jews when christians and jews were fighting.. and if you look objectively at all the books of muslims, jews or christians.. the rules are so similar... i think its time all the three gods come together and all the people are actually following one religion..islamjudaismchristianity...

March 2, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • THinking

...The Holy Trinity...

March 2, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Bruce

Oh, please no...as you say, they have so much in common and the extremist in all three will have so much more power if they are one. Then it will be "those who drink beer" fighting the islamojudeochristian extremists. Let them fight, so those of us who don't care about religion can drink beer while we watch the sheep fight over imaginary stuff. It's like the superbowl, only no one ever wins.

March 2, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  17. Frankly Speaking..

Here is my question:

When jesus was hung up on the cross he cried "Elai! Elai!! Ma Sabaqtani!!" translates to "Oh God! Oh God!! Why have thou forsaken me ?!"

Does it sound llike a man willing/desiring to die ?

March 2, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • sockpuppet

that was when all the sins of the world were upon Jesus, and God could not look upon Him (because of the sin)....so during that moment He was forsaken by God, and He felt the pain of that.

March 2, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Frankly Speaking..

@ sockpuppet
      Really ? You expect a reasonable human to buy it ? Did jesus give you that explanation ??

March 2, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Middle America

Because Jesus had to bear the cost of our sins. That cost was separation from God. Thus, I believe that Jesus felt the separation from God and cried out so. But it was only for a time until his his resurrection. Now he sits at the right hand of God. Yes, Jesus did take this upon Himself FOR us.

March 2, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • sockpuppet

well like I've said before, if you are an atheist, why are you nitpicking over the individual beliefs? you don't believe ANY of it, so why are you asking about the minutae? You would have to live and study the Bible daily, to have an understanding of all those things. There are verses to support what I said, but there is no reason to quote them to you, as you don't believe it anyway.

March 2, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Rick

Christ is quoting the beginning of Psalm 22, which later has passages such as "They have pierced my hands and my feet" as well as "the divide my clothing among them, and for my garments they cast lots." The Gospel of Matthew has slightly more emphasis on Christ fulfilling the prophecies, drawing attention to the Psalm and showing its parallels with the crucifixion are one of the ways to do this.

March 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • "the first and the last and besides me there is no other God"

Jesus never died on a cross. Those ideas come from pagan roots and have for centuries. I could make up lies and have people follow them to. the bible even says that he died on a stake and another makes mention of a tree. Very clear for many to see. The cross is disrespectful to Jesus not just because its a lie but its a false image that is used on shirts with skulls,snakes and halloween which praises wickeness and death. People need to stop and think would Jesus wear those things or accept them? He as well as his father made it very clear what they felt about images. Its very profitable that's why the pope's and christdom as a whole will soon fall. They adorn themselves with gold and fancy things but paint themselves as men of God just to have there ears tickled by the masses. people can see this thats why few go to churches anymore. They have become more known for there immoral acts than there spiritual. And there is a reason for that. And thats because they don't live by truth. The truth is not poplar among false religion leaders nor is it poplar among most people. Everyone wants to do there on thing and be accepted. That's why the bible makes mention of there being to roads. one is broad and spacious and the other is narrow. Think about how many religions that exist and the state of the world today. That's why its biblical proof that most will perish at armagdon. To many lies that mislead people. They teach co-existing but are direct opposites of each other. Everyone thinks they are right. But they refuse to see what has happened to peoples lives in the bible who choose to live falsely and serve other false gods and worship idols. and it puzzles me that a person claims to be so God like but refuses to acept the bible as a whole. religions treat the bible like a buffet then add there own ideas and traditions to it while ignoring truths. The bible says there is one faith. they do not all lead to the same place. there are thousands of religions. Soon we will enter a war of religion and politics. Which has already started ever since there start to an end. The truth

March 2, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Frankly Speaking..

@ sockpuppet

I am a man of reason my friend, who told me I am an athiest ? Not being a christian makes one athiest eh??..You give me a verse in bible where jesus suggests he is god and i will quote you his own words elsewhere in the bible that will contradict your verse.. Emotional appeal is good but unreasonable acceptance is just to dumb 🙂

@ Middle America

Make up your mind bud, was jesus god or man ? Now be careful what you reply coz if you claim he was god then he cannot be separated from himself.. and if u claim he was man then his sacrifice will not be good enuf as per paul

March 2, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Frankly Speaking..

@ I am the first and the last, and besides me there is no other God'” (Revelation 1:7-8).

Words of paul, not jesus...FAIL, next

March 2, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • "the first and the last and besides me there is no other God"

Jesus knew in advance that he would die and never ran from it. He knew that's what he was sent forth to do. As he said he could have asked God for legions of Angels to help him. He even healed ones ear and told the one with the sword to put it back in its place. Jesus never was weak in any way but loyal to his father more so than any in heaven or on earth.

March 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • "the first and the last and besides me there is no other God"

frankly speaking you are proof of what I just said you think that you know everything. Paul was an apostle not a God. And he preached about Gods Kingdom and about Jesus his Son. And it was God who said it. I dont see the word Paul a god in the last chapter of the bible. But I do see John who is the one who saw these visions. If you open the pages you might see. But i guess if your arguing your in need of attention like most no good religions.....

March 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Frankly Speaking..

Paul/John/Mark/Ben/bush doesnt matter! they are all men and they claim they saw "GOD"..y did jesus make it so complicated, was it so difficult for hi to claim "I am god and worship me"..Instead he comes in someones dream, how can you put up with this crap ?

March 2, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • William

–"before Abraham was, I AM"; "the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins"; "only begotten Son" (which is a claim of ontological equality); "If He called them gods...how do I blaspheme when I – whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world – say I am the son of God?"

@ Middle America

–He is the God-Man and the second person of the Trinity (the Word, or 'Memra'). He is not the same person as the Father, thus He could take on the form of a man while the Father was still in heaven. He was a perfect man, thus His sacrifice was good enough. Don't know what you're quoting from Paul.

March 2, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  18. tom

i hope you understand that jesus in it self was jew and the first chrstianes until 90 b.c were jews also

March 2, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • Frankly Speaking..

and they werent called christians, and they did not believe jesus died for our sins and the bible was in the aking and the disciples were all dead and the list goes on..

March 2, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Middle America

Yes...and be merciful to Jews because they are still chosen of God. All biblical promises regarding Israel and Jews are still valid to Jews and Israel. Christians did not “replace” the Jews as heirs of the promises. We Christian’s are only wild olive branches grafted in to the natural olive tree of Israel.

March 2, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Whitewabbit

I agree with Middle America. We are the olive branches! Thanks for being able to truly understand the Bible.

March 2, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  19. chris

hey pope, go get yer ronson filled with a solid gold pole... fake azz fool.

March 2, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • Whitewabbit

Be careful what you want to happen to another. It may become your own doom!

March 2, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  20. Preacherman

I hope the Bishop of Rome is not getting delusional on what is a significant theological and justice issue. The people he calls the aristocracy of the Temple were the High Priests and Levites. According to the deuteronomic accounts, the priesthood was ordained by God to Aaron and the sons of Aaron while the temple administration was given to the levites. These were the aristocrats who ploted to kill Jesus after he went into the temple and overturned the tables of the money changers and beat some of them. They were jews and that is the truth. The Holy Father may be trying to have a dailogue with Jews, but he should not negate biblical facts in order to serve his agenda. He just lost my respect.

March 2, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • E1st

Who killed Jesus? You did. I did. Our sin killed Jesus. Would you have had him receive his 40 lashes and go home? Then we'd all still be wallowing in our sins.

Whoever killed Jesus fulfilled God's will for the redemptive history of mankind. This finger pointing is inane, and wholly misses the point of Jesus' purpose.

Preach that, Preacherman, and let God be the one to condemn.

March 2, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Jim

.....and the loss of your respect is going to have an immense effect on the Pope. Perhaps you could share with him, and the dozens of theologists surrounding him, the source of your "facts" and help them understand the error of their ways. In any event, your comment doesn't sound very"Christian."

March 2, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Jim

E1st
      Excellent point. I wonder why Preacherman didn't remember this from his "knowledge" of scripture.....
      Appears to me to be "selective referencing."

March 2, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Gezellig

"overturned the tables of the money changers and beat some of them."

He "beat some of them"? Where do you see that in the scriptures?

March 2, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • Bob Kirsch

At that time the land was occupied by the Romans. They appointed the high priest. It is not right to say the Jews appointed the high priest. - Think in recent history of the Brits or the French appointing an official in one of their colonies. Would you blame the people of the colony for what the official did? - And the Brits and French of recent history were far, far, far more advanced than the Romans.

For a person to ignore the role of the Romans in appointing the High Priest might lead us to question what that person's true motives are. Is the person dedicated to being fair and factually based, or is something else going on?

March 2, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Julie in Austin

There were two groups of Jewish aristocrats (Priests and Levites) - those who were in Rome's pocket and those who weren't. This is an historical fact - the High Priest was appointed by Rome during that time. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caiaphas . Likewise, King Herod was in Rome's pocket, as were many others throughout the Jewish leadership of the time.

At issue is that the Christian bible doesn't distinguish between these Jews who were essentially traitors to the Jewish people (Rome was a brutal oppressor) and the Jews who were looking for a messiah to deliver them from Roman rule. Since much of the text claims to be historical accounts, the fact that Herod and Caiaphas were both Roman stooges would have been known to those people and there would have been no need to distinguish between the two groups. It's only been the passage of time, and general ignorance about the conditions in 1st century CE Judea, that have caused this fact to be lost to history.

There are some indications that other facts of the "Trial of Jesus" have also been lost to time and translation. For example, the "criminal" who was asked for at the trial was named Barabbas. For those of you who don't read Hebrew, "Bar Abbas" translates to "Son of the Father". "Ben" and "Bar" mean "son", "Abba" means "Father". And for those of you who don't know his first name, it was Jesus. See John 18 for more information.

If you look at the events that led to the initial concerns being raised by the Roman-sympathetic government, they started with the events of what became Palm Sunday - tens of thousands of Jews welcoming Jesus into Jerusalem. If my comments about the trial are correct - that the Jewish people requested Jesus's release - Rome would have had no choice but to execute him as an enemy of the Roman Empire, regardless of what the people wanted. Or more specifically, BECAUSE of what the common people wanted. That Jesus was executed by crucifixion, the means of execution Rome used for political criminals - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion#Details

The assertion is that Jesus was executed by the Sanhedrin for blasphemy, but the punishment for that was death by stoning. Since saying one is a son or daughter of G-d doesn't count as blasphemy (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avinu_Malkeinu) there's no way Jesus was actually executed for blasphemy. That he was executed by crucifixion supports my assertion that he was executed by the Romans and their Jewish stooges as a political enemy. In which case, Pope Benedict is correct in his statements.

March 2, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Darodine

It's fairly simple. Yes, the people who worked to condemn Jesus were Jews, just as Jesus was a Jew. What the Pope is trying to say in his book, is that we, today, cannot reasonably blame the -entire- Jewish people, for the faults of a number of them 2,000 years ago. In other words, the Jews (as in the entire group of people) are not collectively guilty of condemning Jesus, and last time I checked those who were responsible, namely the Pharisees, no longer exist, thanks mostly to those same Romans which are also blamed for Jesus' death. Those whites here in America who say they shouldn't have to pay today, for the slavery their ancestors forced on blacks two hundred years ago, should understand this concept. Unfortunately, people tend to make exceptions for themselves, and not others as well.

March 2, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • "the first and the last and besides me there is no other God"

March 2, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • "the first and the last and besides me there is no other God"

the pope and there man made organization are nothing more than modern day Pharisees and sadusee's

March 2, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Whitewabbit

Whoever was responsible for Jesus's death will always be a bone of contention among the Christians. Jesus knew before he came to this planet that he would die on the cross. The sacrificing of the lambs held power, but not enough. The eating of the sins by the scapegoat and then his murder held power, but not enough. Even tho many people don't understand the concept of these sacrifices, God did! Together they could benefit mankind's eternal soul and save him from God's oppressors (Satan). The blood of God has more power than we can imagine. The plan was devised! The son of God would become the sacrificial Lamb and the scapegoat, but his blood had to be spilled. I feel sorry for all those who were involved in his death and thankful for a God who volunteered to suffer as a human does in order to save my soul. Thank you Jesus!

March 2, 2011 at 4:05 pm |