home
RSS
Your Take: Is it the end of the world as we know it?
Some Christians believe Judgment Day is just around the corner. Their job is to warn the people.
March 8th, 2011

Your Take: Is it the end of the world as we know it?

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

Note to self: When writing about the End, expect no end of comments.

On Sunday we published “Road trip to the end of the world,” about a group that’s traveling by RV to spread a May 21 doomsday warning. You’ve posted about 10,000 comments on the story. And that doesn’t touch your responses to a sidebar, in which we took you on a historical journey called “Doomsdays throughout time.”

There’s no way to condense the opinions of all of you who expressed them, but here are some of the themes that seemed to emerge.

Doom and gloom has never been so fun

Plenty of you responded with humor, grateful for the news that will let you max out credit cards, avoid summer lawn mowing and forget about studying for final exams.

Some bemoaned the fact that plans you'd looked forward to would be canceled, like JohnDoee who said:

I just booked a vacation to Mexico starting May 21st. Wonder if my trip insurance covers end of the world.

Others invoked a certain headline-grabbing celeb, saying you’d put his antics to shame. Said GQPulbic:

If I knew with absolute certainly the world was ending in three months I would make Charlie Sheen look like a choir boy. Nothing would be off limits.

Still others decided to use the space as a virtual Craigslist of sorts, a venue to snag belongings that have been left behind. Wrote PL90210:

My wife and I are looking for a swingset for our daughter. If any of you have a swingset and feel your family has more important things to do between now and May 21st and wouldn't mind us having it, could you reply back and we can set something up?

No laughing matter

What you read also worried you. You expressed concerns about potential violence and mass suicide, and some even worried that these faithful RV travelers might be “terrorists.” Said Buddesatva:

These folks are mentally unbalanced. The kindest thing that we can do for them is get all of them into a program and I would stongly advise taking the children away. This thing smacks of a suicide cult. Whenever people start talking in superlatives and absolutes, you know that you have a psychosis in the works. The state needs to intervene now before people, specifically children end up getting hurt.

More than anything, those expressing such concern pointed to children who are not only being exposed to these teachings but are actually out there spreading the word, too. We introduced you to one young girl, Arianna, and learning about her got SpaceyG, who quoted part of the story, going:

Not harming innocent people in this, eh? 'It scares me a little bit because some people are going to die, and I think I'm one of them,' she adds. 'I'm trying to do good things, but I'm afraid I'm doing something bad.' Arianna is 7, after all, and being good all the time cannot be easy. Her father stands next to her, nodding his approval. Bless her frightened little heart. I hope she finds a good lawyer on May 22 to sue for punitive emotional damages.

To believe or not to believe

The story drew in many believers, though your beliefs differ, as well as those of you who dismiss religion altogether.

Summing up his (or her) anger was the aptly named AngryAtheist:

But these sort of responses had plenty of faithful readers fighting back. Some voiced that you, too, believe the end is near, but unlike this group of travelers you refuse to nail down a date. Hundreds threw out scripture, reminding us that “No man will know the day or hour,” and that Jesus will return “like a thief in the night.” Said SBack89:

Jesus actually states in the Bible, 'Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. But about the day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.' (Matthew 24:35-36). So as Christ says, He has not even been told by His Father in heaven as to when exactly the world will end. So this group of people are going directly against the Bible, the true word of God.

What’s next?

Countless readers wondered what these doomsday travelers will do when they wake up on May 22 and nothing has changed.

Chilcat: "I Reeeeealy hope CNN will do a story on the poor deluded folks on May 22nd." In a quick response, we heard from Wzrd1: "One can wish. But, given CNN's attention span, or lack thereof, they won't. : ( "

Oh, Wzrd1, ye of little faith ...

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Belief • Bible

soundoff (1,121 Responses)
  1. Erky

So God is supposed to destroy the world, because of the sins of mankind.. But didn't he have his son ritualistically murdered by us, so he could forgive our sins?

March 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Believer

Why all the anger people.

March 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Ward86

Believer, I detected no anger in Erky's post. Only a reasonable question based on what YOUR Holy Bible accounts as real events. My question to you is this, why do you respond with "Why all the anger people?", as opposed to trying to formulate an answer to the questions? (I'm sure you'll consider this anger, as well, but it's only a question)

March 8, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • M-TX

Before you make a statement like that you need to read about the crucifixion... Get your facts straight 🙂 Book of John
      God DIDN'T have Jesus ritualistically murdered....Jesus FREELY GAVE HIMSELF as a sacrifice for the world's sins and asked us one thing in return.. Just to accept him as your savior in your heart. Not a bad trade in my opinion because the alternative was that God was going to destroy everything and everyone! Jesus called out to God and begged him to let his death be considered payment for all the sins of mankind... No one asked you to become a religious crazy.. and there are tons of them... ALL HE ASKED.. Was that we accept him into our hearts and he would forgive all your sins...

March 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Ward86

@M-TX- Assuming for a moment that things transpired exactly in the manner which you described, then God only postponed the destruction of Earth to shut his son up. So, which is it? Did Jesus cut a deal with God that God either never agreed to, or is reneging on, or did JC give himself to eternally save us from God's wrath. This is why there is so much departure form the church. As people get educated, they learn to question, and with curiosity comes truth, and the ability to see the contradictions in thing. Remember, the Bible was not written by God, but by men, men of power no less, claiming to scribe God's word and then preach it to the huddled, uneducated, and often illiterate masses.

March 8, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • Believer

Ward86, I don't have all the answers and Erky did sound angry or maybe sarcastic to me. As I have said I think a lot of the Bible is a story told by man with some truth and requires A LOT of faith. I don't know all that is true and I know a lot of current things have been made up by religious figures. I believe that there is a lot of corruption in religion. All that being said, I thing JC gave of himself in hopes to save us. Kind of a "Look, I'm telling you the truth, there is something after this and I want you to be happy there" I was taught, not by my parents but by a church I ultimately left because I thought the leaders were hypocrites, that JC died for those who would believe in him and tried their hardest to do what was right....oh and you had to go to church,,, everyone else is screwed. I just believe you have to believe and do your best to be a good person. Actually, I'm not sure you even have to believe. I pass no judgment on anyone, it's not my place. I think as with everything God changes what he wants for us and he doesn't stand still with his own thoughts for all time. I hope for all, believers or not, that if there is an after life and it's a good or bad place, how you have lead your life here on earth, how you have treated people, where your intentions have been, that will determine where to spend eternity.....if there is one. I believe there is an after life and I think there are a lot of people who think they are going to a good place that aren't. sorry to ramble

March 9, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
  2. Richard

People like these are the reason MORE people are turning away from, and utterly despise Christianity. They're making it a joke. Instead of edifying people, they're driving them away.

This is what happens when people concoct their own meanings to the Word of God. Everyone has their own interpretation, when in fact there's only ONE! Reading the bible helps, but you really need to study it. Compare scripture with scripture. It's tedious, but it's not difficult.

It's really sad when you think about it!

March 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Krabz

That's kinda like saying people who eat ice cream mixed with spaghetti ruin all of ice cream so I won't eat it anymore. Throw out the obvious contaminant and you have a pretty good product.

March 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Krabz

Of course I was agreeing with you.

March 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Kevin, Virginia

The ONE interpritation that is correct is the one that lets you read it as a fairy tale or as fiction. if you believe the stuff in the bible you have the intelect of a child.

March 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Richard

@Kevin Virginia...You're funny! You obviously know how to tell what's real and what's fake. You're so smart! But you don't know how to spell..."interpritation"...really? Pot calling the Kettle black there?

March 8, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  3. Kenrick Benjamin

The Book Of REVELATION is a BEGINNING of a RIGHTEOUS WORLD.

March 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Megen

I agree with you Kenrick.....apparently people have missed that part in the bible.

March 8, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Kevin, Virginia

you all seem to misunderstand. most of us think the bible is just a fairy tale. if you all can prove otherwise i would love to see the evidence.

March 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  4. livelovelaughnbehappy

Ya know, there'd be a way fewer crazy people in the world if everybody was having great se+(that letter just before 'y'). Let's all do what we can to make the world a better place.

March 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  5. mm

It's the end of their world. I just wished I knew where they lived so I could go and pick up some of their valuables. Especially the cash. Wonder if they have any to give away.

March 8, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  6. John69:69

"All religions are a disease. There's no way we can advance as a people when we all believe in gods that do absolutely nothing to prove an existence. You're taught from an early age when your parents forced you to go to church to learn fairy tales. Open your sheep minds… That fairy tale book called the bible was written by those in power to keep the power, to control the masses, and to gain wealth. There isn't a god, nor was there ever one."

I completely agree! At least someone other than me understands why the all religions were created. Lets try to take a step beyond the primates we used to be. Today we have laws, military and government to keep the peace and control the masses. We don't need religion anymore.

March 8, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Carla

ah. . . religion . . . the opiate of the masses

March 8, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
  7. Relax

No God. No judgment day. End of story.

March 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Believer

Why is everyone so angry

March 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Kevin, Virginia

@ Believer, what if anything in his statement is said in anger? i see no emotion, all i see is facts. if you think pointing out fax is anger then i suggest you seek a better education. (for the record that is not anger that is condisention)

March 8, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • M-TX

I hope you change your mind before you stand before the books. Don't hate me but I just prayed for you and will continue to pray for you.. Peace.

March 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Believer

Kevin, Virginia
      I made an observation, perhaps I expressed it wrong. I don't know why you want to be condescending as you said, but....I can't show to proof of God or Judgment Day, just as you can not show me proof that they don't exist.

March 9, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • LetsThink123

@Believer
      I believe in the tooth fairy. I pray to him and he answers my prayers 1 out of a 100 times. When I pray for something mundane like 'please let me have a good day at work today', my prayer is almost always answered. I believe that the tooth fairy also created the universe. The NON-believers like the atheists do not have a sound explanation on how the universe was created, so it must be my tooth fairy. This means that the tooth fairy must exist! Can you prove to me that he doesn't exist?
      Can you at least acknowledge now that you can't expect someone to prove something that there is no evidence for? (i.e., it doesn't exist). Your God is personal and only exists in your head. Your God definitely helps you get through the day and makes you feel happy and promises you eternal life if you BLINDLY accept him. But it doesn't mean that your God is real or true! Do you understand?
      Most religions sucker people in with the unverifiable promise that you will live forever. Surely, I too don't want to die. But I've learnt to face reality, and the reality is, this is the only life we have!

March 10, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  8. Page

It was the end of the world for this nation when obama was elected. His ascending to the high office put the last nail in the coffin that was built by a long line of politicians that were at the least, irresponsible, igonrant and reckless, and at the worst, dishonest and faithless to people who trusted them, respected them, and believed them.

March 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Kevin, Virginia

wow you have serious issues you may want to get help.

March 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • M-TX

Oh boy ANOTHER Obama Hater... OH IT'S ALL OBAMAS FAULT ISNT IT???!!! Read your history book Page! Every President we have ever had has been in on a "Secret" about the world that NONE of us will ever know. And unfortunately, we will find out what that is when they the elite are evacuated to safety and we are left to encounter whatever it is that's coming.. mark my words.. It is beginning.

March 8, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  9. Mark

I'm praying for the end of Christianity. And throw in the other two cults for good measure. Then we can live in peace.

March 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Kevin, Virginia

Here Here! but dont just make it the other 2, make i all religions.

March 8, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  10. Unafy

It looks like CNN believes in May 21, 2011 is the end of the world!!

March 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  11. can't you people read???

we should be so lucky for an armageddon. finally wipe this stinkin species off the face of the earth. cuz you people suck!

March 8, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  12. Hahaha

Considering there are a tons of "Gods" and apparently only one's followers are claiming this, odds are it's not happening. 🙂

March 8, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  13. Krabz

For those who don't believe in a god; why do so many of you (not all) write such abuse of those who do? What's lacking that you feel mockery is justified and that you have the special right to use it? Especially those who combine it with "I don't need religion to be a good person". OK, that's fine, then why the bitterness and or condescension to those who believe in a god? If religious people are stupid why not let them be so in peace without degrading them?

March 8, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Red

Good stuff...

March 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Hahaha

Because when people go around tooting and shoving the end of the world caused by God in everyone's faces, it's annoying. They assume you believe the same things they do, which is narrow minded. I think religious faith is good, just not when people use it like that.

March 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Red

Religious or not...degrading someone because they have errors in their ways or because they're annoying doesn't solve anything. These religious zealots saying that the loot of us are damned is embarassing as a fellow human, but degrading them because they're annoying is equally an insult to my human dignity.

March 8, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Krabz

A good point, HaHa, but then you become no better than one of the phonies or people who try to shove it down your throat. I would think you would want to set yourself apart.

March 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Chris

Why? I bet if I wrote about how much the Tooth Fairy loves me and got together with my palls and sang songs about invisible friends and unicorns you'd do the same to me. You'd say "This guy is at best delusional." and you might wonder if my nonsensical beliefs were the result in some defect of my upbringing. ... What you can't see is that to many people main-line religion is akin to tooth fairy and unicorns. I know, you are right and those things are silly. But that is poor argument because I can also use it verbatim to argue my point. In fact I hold ther is no argument you can use that I can not use. "It says so in the Bible" is not going to work because I have my own book that says different. .... I'll not even argue who is right but I hope this answers your question about why do they all make fun of use? It's because to us you (rightly or wrongly) appear irrational and delusional.

March 8, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Red

That's a big bet, Chris. Also...I'm having trouble following how anything else you wrote is relative to Krabz's comment.

March 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • dc4sense

Nice try – but to be precise – those that "believe" have made a point of destroying anyone that does not agree with with them for the past few millenia – in the name of their god of course. It is the "believers" that feel compelled to force their views on others. Live and let live is great but it works both ways....As for the end – if it was predicted via prophecy – then all destiny is predetermined and I have no free will, so whats the point?

March 8, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  14. Carole

Jesus said there would be no warning as to when He would come. In fact, He said he would come like a "thief in the night". There is no prediction by MAN. If the person who advocates this date actually studies, he would know the prophecies have not yet been fulfilled. I can see that and I am no great Bible scholar. I am going on vacation next summer and again in the fall. Not to say the world won't end on May 21st because each day we receive is a gift. Just remember that "we know not the day or the hour". Take heart worried folks.

March 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Kevin, Virginia

Jesus didnt say anything since he didnt exist. this date is obviously Bullcrap.

March 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Rick

Not to mention too that to believe what these people are saying means to deny who Jesus is – that is the Son of God because Jesus already told us that no one knows when this crazy world is going down but the Father. So there you go.

March 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Every Day is the End LOL

I very much believe in God (mine just happens to be Christ) I would tell people to give these types of folks the same amount of belief that you would give Jim Jones or David K. Why is it that the stupid, crazy or fanatics get SO much attention?

March 8, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • M-TX

Hate me all you want Kevin, Virginia.... but I just prayed for you and will continue to pray for you.. Peace to you.

March 8, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Me

Although I firmly believe that this will not happen on May 21st, I do listen to Harold Camping's radio program each week night, and he does make a reputable point about Christ returning as a thief in the night. I can not quote the verse off the top of my head, but the verse does state that those elect are children of the light, not of darkness, and and will see the end times, while those who believe Christ to come as a thief will perish, basically stating that when end times are near, the "elect" WOULD indeed know the day, while those who still believe that Christ would come as a thief in the night would perish with the non-believers.

March 9, 2011 at 9:54 am |
    • LetsThink123

Don't you think its convenient that Jesus did not set a specific date as to when the world would end? If he did specify a date, that date would come and go and he would be wrong!
      Just as Jesus was wrong when he said he would come back after the last person of his generation died! ("I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." – Matthew 24:34) Guess what, Jesus never came back because he was just a man. plain and simple.
      If u were Jesus and had to choose between specifying a date for when the world will end or keep people guessing for an eternity, what would u choose?

March 10, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  15. Richard

Pathetic, religious maniac LOSERS! Can't they just kill themselves like so many of these nuts?

March 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • M-TX

Hate me all you want... But I just prayed and will continue to pray for you Richard. Peace

March 8, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  16. ACParker

So the idea of this is that God will destroy the world due to the sins of humankind?
    What about the millions of other living things that haven't sinned? They are being punished for our sins as well?
    I thought Jesus already died for our sins. If we're being destroyed for our sins why did Jesus die?
    There sure are a lot of contradicting views here.

March 8, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Carole

But AC-the Bible says that this world will be replaced with a better one. Something to look forward to.

March 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Megen

I very much agree with you!

March 8, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Megen

my reply goes to AC, but carole even though your correct, Jesus did die for our sins. thats what AC is talking about and all the confusion there is out there.

March 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • mm

Your understanding is a little mixed up. If you are interested you should at least study up. If not, then it doesn't matter and you shouldn't ask dumb questions.

March 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • jc

I recommend the book "Heaven" by Alcorn. Lot of good stuff in there...but, of course go to the TRUTH...the Bible to study for yourself. There will be a NEW Heaven and a NEW earth. Jesus DID die for our sins and all those who confess w/ their mouth and believe this in their heart will enjoy these new places where there is no longer sickness, crime and everything "bad" we currently have on this earth...kinda reverting back to the beginning of mankind when all was peachy in the Garden of Eden...no sin etc.

March 8, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • M-TX

Even if you don't believe in God.. Read the book of Revelation in the New Testament of the bible; it explains everything and answers your questions about those who haven't sinned. It's an eye-opener. Everyone owes it to themselves to read it. EVERYONE WILL READ HARRY POTTER EVEN THOUGH ITS FICTION... Read the Bible and all it says about end times... then decide. I'll pray for you...

March 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Zeke

Jesus was born into this world with a mission: He was born to die. Jesus' death on the Cross was not only divinely appointed, it was necessary, for a great price had to be paid to redeem us from sin.

Thinking about death makes us uncomfortable. Why? Because we weren't created to die; we were created to live eternally. But when Adam disobeyed God, death entered the world (Rom 5:12). So God sent Jesus to die on the Cross to restore us to life.

He died because, as Isaiah said, "the Lord laid on Him the iniquity of us all" (Isa. 53:6). Jesus endured the agony of the Cross so you and I could be washed clean and set free from sin.

March 8, 2011 at 9:48 pm |
  17. the_dude

I really don't know if the world will end or not but god I hope it does. I would like to see most of the poplation be killed of and the rest turn into a zombie apocolypse. That would be cool.

March 8, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Red

Nailed it, dude....naield it.

March 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • jmsdh

Yeah, return as a zombie. I could um live with that.

March 8, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Every Day is the End LOL

Wow then I could hunt zombies for real... interesting thought 😉

March 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  18. Deshawn

The Truth is WE DON'T know when it ends and That only God know the answer to that question. We humans really can't comprehend what God has in store for us even if we think we can.

March 8, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Chris

But the cool part is that if you don't like the above you can make another God more suited to your needs. It's fiction and anyone can by an author

March 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Aramis2000

Prove god's existence, then tells us how he knows so much more than we do.

March 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • M-TX

So true.. .but we are marching towards an end of some kind, and I believe that our government is keeping waaaay too much from us; we will find out what it is.......................when it's too late. Until then, have FAITH and find God...

March 8, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  19. Jobe

I certainly hope the end is near! 🙂

"Some say a comet will fall from the sky.
    Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves.
    Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still.
    Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh***.

Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
    I certainly hope we will cuz
    I sure could use a vacation from this

Silly s***, stupid s***...

One great big festering neon distraction,
    I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied..."

"I'm praying for rain
    And I'm praying for tidal waves
    I wanna see the ground give way.
    I wanna watch it all go down.
    ... please flush it all away.
    I wanna watch it go right in and down.
    I wanna watch it go right in.
    Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again.
    Don't just call me pessimist.
    Try and read between the lines.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't
    Welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it all come down.
    suck it down.
    flush it down."

March 8, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • QS

Learn to swim!

March 8, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • can't you people read???

gotta luv Tool!

March 8, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • M-TX

What's all this fascination with flushing.. Are you playing in the toilet again???

March 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Mike

To Jobe..that song rocks!!!

March 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • LLB

Listen to Tool? Good song.

March 8, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Banu Danu

Just because your life is in the "toilet" doesn't mean everyone else (at this time) has to go down with the flush!

March 10, 2011 at 11:11 am |
  20. Barleyman

I'm just glad they scheduled this for a Saturday. That way I can sleep in the next day. This Rapture work can be very tiring.

March 8, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Every Day is the End LOL

I can promise ALL who read this that the world will not end on that day. Maybe before or after but not on that one ;). What they need to do is predict the powerball or mega million numbers. THAT WOULD BE WORTH SOMETHING.

March 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • bluebird

...strange thing.... I dont believe the end is near but I do believe something is up... at 7:00 am the sun was so bright I could not go near the windows...and it hurt my eyes to look out the windows ...so I dont remember the sun ever hurting my eyes at 7:00 am in the morning....it was a sunrise...and sometimes a sunrise and sunset is glaring but to hurt your eyes while your inside the house...... strange....

March 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm |