home
RSS
Your Take: Is it the end of the world as we know it?
Some Christians believe Judgment Day is just around the corner. Their job is to warn the people.
March 8th, 2011

Your Take: Is it the end of the world as we know it?

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

Note to self: When writing about the End, expect no end of comments.

On Sunday we published “Road trip to the end of the world,” about a group that’s traveling by RV to spread a May 21 doomsday warning. You’ve posted about 10,000 comments on the story. And that doesn’t touch your responses to a sidebar, in which we took you on a historical journey called “Doomsdays throughout time.”

There’s no way to condense the opinions of all of you who expressed them, but here are some of the themes that seemed to emerge.

Doom and gloom has never been so fun

Plenty of you responded with humor, grateful for the news that will let you max out credit cards, avoid summer lawn mowing and forget about studying for final exams.

Some bemoaned the fact that plans you'd looked forward to would be canceled, like JohnDoee who said:

I just booked a vacation to Mexico starting May 21st. Wonder if my trip insurance covers end of the world.

Others invoked a certain headline-grabbing celeb, saying you’d put his antics to shame. Said GQPulbic:

If I knew with absolute certainly the world was ending in three months I would make Charlie Sheen look like a choir boy. Nothing would be off limits.

Still others decided to use the space as a virtual Craigslist of sorts, a venue to snag belongings that have been left behind. Wrote PL90210:

My wife and I are looking for a swingset for our daughter. If any of you have a swingset and feel your family has more important things to do between now and May 21st and wouldn't mind us having it, could you reply back and we can set something up?

No laughing matter

What you read also worried you. You expressed concerns about potential violence and mass suicide, and some even worried that these faithful RV travelers might be “terrorists.” Said Buddesatva:

These folks are mentally unbalanced. The kindest thing that we can do for them is get all of them into a program and I would stongly advise taking the children away. This thing smacks of a suicide cult. Whenever people start talking in superlatives and absolutes, you know that you have a psychosis in the works. The state needs to intervene now before people, specifically children end up getting hurt.

More than anything, those expressing such concern pointed to children who are not only being exposed to these teachings but are actually out there spreading the word, too. We introduced you to one young girl, Arianna, and learning about her got SpaceyG, who quoted part of the story, going:

Not harming innocent people in this, eh? 'It scares me a little bit because some people are going to die, and I think I'm one of them,' she adds. 'I'm trying to do good things, but I'm afraid I'm doing something bad.' Arianna is 7, after all, and being good all the time cannot be easy. Her father stands next to her, nodding his approval. Bless her frightened little heart. I hope she finds a good lawyer on May 22 to sue for punitive emotional damages.

To believe or not to believe

The story drew in many believers, though your beliefs differ, as well as those of you who dismiss religion altogether.

Summing up his (or her) anger was the aptly named AngryAtheist:

All religions are a disease. There's no way we can advance as a people when we all believe in gods that do absolutely nothing to prove an existence. You're taught from an early age when your parents forced you to go to church to learn fairy tales. Open your sheep minds… That fairy tale book called the bible was written by those in power to keep the power, to control the masses, and to gain wealth. There isn't a god, nor was there ever one.

But these sort of responses had plenty of faithful readers fighting back. Some voiced that you, too, believe the end is near, but unlike this group of travelers you refuse to nail down a date. Hundreds threw out scripture, reminding us that “No man will know the day or hour,” and that Jesus will return “like a thief in the night.” Said SBack89:

Jesus actually states in the Bible, 'Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. But about the day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.' (Matthew 24:35-36). So as Christ says, He has not even been told by His Father in heaven as to when exactly the world will end. So this group of people are going directly against the Bible, the true word of God.

What’s next?

Countless readers wondered what these doomsday travelers will do when they wake up on May 22 and nothing has changed.

Chilcat: "I Reeeeealy hope CNN will do a story on the poor deluded folks on May 22nd." In a quick response, we heard from Wzrd1: "One can wish. But, given CNN's attention span, or lack thereof, they won't. : ( "

Oh, Wzrd1, ye of little faith ...

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Belief • Bible

soundoff (1,121 Responses)
  1. ZOMBIE KILLER

BRING ON THE UNDEAD, THE INFECTED, THE DISEASED CRAZED MANIACS HUNGRY FOR HUMAN FLESH!!! My blades are sharp and my ammo is fresh...bring on the Zombie Apocalypse! BWAHAHAHAHA...

March 8, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  2. Nathaniel

This must be the dumbest thing I have heard... the bible giving a specific date when Judgement Day will come... my goodness... these people need to have their head checked, really. Spreading such news will cause chaos in the weeks leading to May 21. This is insane...I hope these people get locked up until May 22. Just to keep the rest of the world safe.

March 8, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  3. mr. optimistic

its not going to be that easy.

March 8, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  4. Aaron

Sweet!!! My anniversary is the 22nd. So I don't have to buy my wife a gift. Thanks for the inside info. loonies! Oh...Winning!

March 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  5. Topher

"The world will end tomorrow" – If they say it long enough, one day they will be right. I am positive there will be another blog on this come 2012.

March 8, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  6. Tom Hashagen

I am with those who say that no one can know the hour, because Jesus, the living God said so in His word. But people who are worried about the end of the world should be, because they WILL see God. Plan as though He will be slow in returning, but live as though He will return at any moment.
    "EVERY tongue will confess and every knee will bow" and confess that Jesus is Lord
    I am no better than any man, merely a sinful human saved by His matchless grace. Thank you Jesus.

March 8, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • Gwen

Good Lord, what a spiel of BS!!!!!!

March 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  7. Gwen

Every few years these religious kooks come out from under their rocks. You would think they would learn from all the
    previous times they have come up with this crap and so far we are all still here!!!! They don't have a clue and just want
    to be noticed. What a waste of gasoline!!!!! They must be on medical marijuana!!!

March 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  8. jgonz1128

Funny how people can predict the coming of God when Jesus didn't even know. Jesus said, NO mane know's the day or hour, that God would come as a thief in the night. Jesus also said, that false prophets will say there he is.....

March 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Reality

you're right... it's because people who quote the bible only like to quote passages that support their side of an argument haha. The bible is only true to them when they're mentioning the part that makes them right

March 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  9. stonrdude

HORSEHOCKEY!
    These people are out to lunch!

March 8, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  10. jdizzle

I was worried when I saw that the end of time was coming on May 21, 2011.
    But, once I remembered that Pirates of the Caribbean 4 comes out on May 20th I felt much better.
    As long as I dont miss Jack and Barbossa before Armageddon there is nothing to fear.

March 8, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  11. jc

These people are a little on the wacky side. No one knows the time that the Lord will be coming...as the Bible says...have no idea why they think they have this answer...no, you all are no exception.
    Hard to see wackos who say they represent Jesus and are His followers...wow, if I didn't already know and follow Jesus Christ (was a "non-believer") I would stay very far from these so-called Christians and would want nothing to do w/ the Jesus they speak of. Please people, study the Bible to find the Truth and not look to these folks for answers.

March 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  12. sandy lunsford

Neither man nor even the angels in heaven know the hour I come.....these people jsut need to read the Bible,,its all there,,,will pray for them..

March 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • John Do

Pretty much right on target.

March 8, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  13. Rebecca

Would anyone really be surprised if the world did end in May ? Think for YOURSELVES and take an honest look around at the true state of things, especially what we are allowing to be done to one another and ourselves by each other and most especially by our banks and government We don't stand up for ourselves or anything else that we should. We never stand up for "right" and we applaud and glorify the worst and tackiest behaviors that we are exposed to on a daily if not hourly basis. I'm only surprised that we haven't blown ourselves already.

March 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Brain

Blowing yourself is harder than you may think.

March 8, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Reality

um... Rebecca? The world survived two world wars. I don't mean to belittle the bubble you live in, but contrary to what you think, on the whole the wold is A LOT more civilized. We're able to SEE the atrocities first hand thanks to advanced media, is all. It's a little (no, a lot) naive for you to act like the current world condition is the perfect explosive conditions for the end of the world.

March 8, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  14. Chris

I wish there was a way to place a bet with these people. Maybe I can offer to loan one of them $10,000 that must be paid back with 100% interest on May 22nd. If the guy really does believe what he preaches he's take me for a sucker and accept my $10K in a second. Then on the 23rd he's forced to sell his house or RV or whatever. .... My guess is that they really don't believe this but it's for publicity. That many people can't all be so stupid. My theory is that not one of them actually believes what they are saying. And it's working too they got on CNN

March 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  15. L.Kurt Engelhart

It is my profoundest hope that this is the end of the world as some people know it.

March 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  16. billy bob joe

this whole thing is rubbish!! THE WORLD WILL NOT ENT ON THE 22 OF MAY!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean really people! they have been saying that this is gunna happen for like a gagillion years now!!!!!!!! DONT BELIEVE IT

March 8, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  17. GG

Yes, God is going to make a printed announcement of His coming back to earth..an invitation with dates and all! Live life people and quit the scare tactics! This reminds me of the Tea Bagger movement, which in my opinion are one in the same!

March 8, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  18. Red

I was led to believe that a combination of the dollar menu and mandals would end the world...but here I am, enjoying 5 dollar footlongs and wearing some slick New Balances.

March 8, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  19. no comment to see here

I'm sorry but if you honestly think the world is going to end in 2012 you are an utter moron. Actually, I'm not sorry for saying that. You are a complete moron, along with those dingbats who thought the world was going to end at any one of thirty other "predicted" "apocalypses".

March 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Krabz

However the world is going to fall into the ocean....

March 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  20. jmsdh

I agree with Krabz and others who ask why non-believers have to be so snippy to those who do. Myself, I believe in a non-denominational God, a Higher Power, call it what you will. And I came to that perspective starting as a skeptic and after a great deal of personal reflection that made holding onto that skepticism look too much like blind rigidity. I know people from both sides and they are tolerant of this kind of disagreement; so am I. Atheists do themselves no favor by hurling insults at those who believe in something transcendent, and when you come right down to it, there are as many belief systems as believers. Everybody who believes gives their picture of God their own private little inflection, perhaps because this relationship is so personal.

March 8, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • Ward86

Tell that to the people that thought it was a good idea to travel the country in an RV chanting the end of the world is near. Likely, if you encountered one of them on a busy metropolitan sidewalk on your way to work or home, you would arrive at your destination telling others of the "nut job" running around passing out pamphlets demanding you to repent to a God of THEIR understanding. That's the problem. The people the rest of "us" are criticizing don't have the same respect for others' beliefs, or lack thereof, that you or I do.

March 8, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • John Do

It's kind of interesting to see that when Atheists get near their death bed as I have been told by a few close friends is that they start to seek God. Why??

They can't comprehend leaving this Earth and there being nothing after it. Our souls came from someplace and when we die they go back to that someplace.

March 8, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Lanfear

What about re-incarnation? If our souls go anywhere, I'd bet that's what happens.

March 8, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • chls

Well said!! It truly does seem to be the atheists that throw the insults. They have no morality - how could they when they don't believe in God? I am a Christian and although I express my beliefs, I don't look down on those who believe differently or try to act superior to them. God doesn't work on "time", therefore there is no set date for judgement day - but the day will come whether anyone believes it or not.

March 8, 2011 at 6:39 pm |