home
RSS
Your Take: Is it the end of the world as we know it?
Some Christians believe Judgment Day is just around the corner. Their job is to warn the people.
March 8th, 2011

Your Take: Is it the end of the world as we know it?

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

Note to self: When writing about the End, expect no end of comments.

On Sunday we published “Road trip to the end of the world,” about a group that’s traveling by RV to spread a May 21 doomsday warning. You’ve posted about 10,000 comments on the story. And that doesn’t touch your responses to a sidebar, in which we took you on a historical journey called “Doomsdays throughout time.”

There’s no way to condense the opinions of all of you who expressed them, but here are some of the themes that seemed to emerge.

Doom and gloom has never been so fun

Plenty of you responded with humor, grateful for the news that will let you max out credit cards, avoid summer lawn mowing and forget about studying for final exams.

Some bemoaned the fact that plans you'd looked forward to would be canceled, like JohnDoee who said:

I just booked a vacation to Mexico starting May 21st. Wonder if my trip insurance covers end of the world.

Others invoked a certain headline-grabbing celeb, saying you’d put his antics to shame. Said GQPulbic:

If I knew with absolute certainly the world was ending in three months I would make Charlie Sheen look like a choir boy. Nothing would be off limits.

Still others decided to use the space as a virtual Craigslist of sorts, a venue to snag belongings that have been left behind. Wrote PL90210:

My wife and I are looking for a swingset for our daughter. If any of you have a swingset and feel your family has more important things to do between now and May 21st and wouldn't mind us having it, could you reply back and we can set something up?

No laughing matter

What you read also worried you. You expressed concerns about potential violence and mass suicide, and some even worried that these faithful RV travelers might be “terrorists.” Said Buddesatva:

These folks are mentally unbalanced. The kindest thing that we can do for them is get all of them into a program and I would stongly advise taking the children away. This thing smacks of a suicide cult. Whenever people start talking in superlatives and absolutes, you know that you have a psychosis in the works. The state needs to intervene now before people, specifically children end up getting hurt.

More than anything, those expressing such concern pointed to children who are not only being exposed to these teachings but are actually out there spreading the word, too. We introduced you to one young girl, Arianna, and learning about her got SpaceyG, who quoted part of the story, going:

Not harming innocent people in this, eh? 'It scares me a little bit because some people are going to die, and I think I'm one of them,' she adds. 'I'm trying to do good things, but I'm afraid I'm doing something bad.' Arianna is 7, after all, and being good all the time cannot be easy. Her father stands next to her, nodding his approval. Bless her frightened little heart. I hope she finds a good lawyer on May 22 to sue for punitive emotional damages.

To believe or not to believe

The story drew in many believers, though your beliefs differ, as well as those of you who dismiss religion altogether.

Summing up his (or her) anger was the aptly named AngryAtheist:

All religions are a disease. There's no way we can advance as a people when we all believe in gods that do absolutely nothing to prove an existence. You're taught from an early age when your parents forced you to go to church to learn fairy tales. Open your sheep minds… That fairy tale book called the bible was written by those in power to keep the power, to control the masses, and to gain wealth. There isn't a god, nor was there ever one.

But these sort of responses had plenty of faithful readers fighting back. Some voiced that you, too, believe the end is near, but unlike this group of travelers you refuse to nail down a date. Hundreds threw out scripture, reminding us that “No man will know the day or hour,” and that Jesus will return “like a thief in the night.” Said SBack89:

Jesus actually states in the Bible, 'Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. But about the day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.' (Matthew 24:35-36). So as Christ says, He has not even been told by His Father in heaven as to when exactly the world will end. So this group of people are going directly against the Bible, the true word of God.

What’s next?

Countless readers wondered what these doomsday travelers will do when they wake up on May 22 and nothing has changed.

Chilcat: "I Reeeeealy hope CNN will do a story on the poor deluded folks on May 22nd." In a quick response, we heard from Wzrd1: "One can wish. But, given CNN's attention span, or lack thereof, they won't. : ( "

Oh, Wzrd1, ye of little faith ...

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Belief • Bible

soundoff (1,121 Responses)
  1. Richard

I think I'd like to test their faith by asking them to sign over their houses and other belongings to me as they will not be needing them after 5/21. It shouldn't be a problem as far as I can see. We'll all be dead, right?

March 8, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  2. Bill

This is retarded. No book can predict anything, and people have been making this stuff up for centuries. Why continue to do that to ourselves? Let's all grow up, lose our groupthink, and mature just a little and realize the Universe is much bigger than any book.

March 8, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  3. David

Expecting the world to end by Oct or the 'rapture' to occur in May is such nonsense. However, it is good idea to prepare for the Return of the Christ and the birth of a 'New Age' because the Christ is already here and he may very well reveal himself openly by May or October. For more into see http://www.christmaitreya.org

March 8, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  4. Larry

So Science does not matter? We can prove over and over Science. The bible cannot be proved at all. There was a Jesus that lived about 2000 years ago. Yes that can be proved. But who was he? That cannot be proved. Look to Science and you will find answers. None of those answers even comes close to ending the world on 5-21-2011. Oh can you give me some of your stuff and property? I need more.

March 8, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  5. T.O.

I wonder what Mohammad would say about May 21st...

March 8, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  6. Chuck The Canuck

If the "rapture" doesn't happen on May 21, I suggest we introduce the "true believers" to the "rupture" and kick them all in the groin.

March 8, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  7. phoenix

the heathen aren t human let them have their last few minutes,, but some of them cook an make good wine.

March 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  8. I'm just saying

Whether or not you believe, some facts just can not be disputed. Many of Earth's events are cyclical, but often civilizations end during these types of cycles. No person (in heaven or Earth) knows on which day our "cycle" will end, but the Bible ...yeah, that book...gives signs. The beginning of the end will be "like birth pains", which are mostly mild and spaced out. As the delivery grows nearer so does the intensity and frequency of the pain. There has always been: wars and rumors of wars, pestilence, famine, earthquakes, people claiming to be Christ, etc. The fact now is that there is a steady increase in these things. For me, I go with the seatbelt theory. I hope not to have an accident, but I wear my seatbelt just in case. I believe in God....if he is not real then to those who believed oh well. If he is real, for those who didn't believe...oh hell.

March 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • I'm just saying

BTW...I in no way believe that this world will end of 5/21/2011. Maybe I should make some money printing shirts that say 5/22/2O11....I'M STILL HERE!

March 8, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  9. USER-301

As I can clearly see, 80% of those who posted think that the "End of the World – As We Know It" means destruction of the world and people will die. This is not so and this is not what’s going to happen, and I don't think the caravan is trying to sell annihilation of the world to the public. If you open your eyes you won't have to look very far to see that the World as we knew it has already started to change. President Obama’s election is a very clear picture of that for those of you who are really blind. I can't say for sure what is going to happen and I can't call the date, but if you watch the news it will give you a clear vision that something is just not right with our world and it is creating unbalanced people. As we all know, unbalanced people without logical thinking creates destruction. It has always been the norm for those in power to use media to introduce new ideas and old secrets to the public. As people are really terrified of new things, it has always been easier to blast the public with images and video so that when the real thing does come the people won’t freak out.
    Based on what I have seen it appears that the media and networks are trying to prepare us for some sort of Alien visit. We have the TV Series “The Event”, the movies “Battle LA”, and “Paul” (as in http://whatispaul.com/), not to mention all of the leaked video from NASA that clearly shows our universe is twice as busy as Earth regarding life. Whatever the case, I am sure we can all agree that the Earth itself is not going anywhere, but God may just decide to relieve a few million people of their miserable lives. Only Time will tell.

March 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • timmeh

...youre an idiot

March 8, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Carla

Hmmm, how can we speak of a world as we DON'T KNOW IT ? Bad English/Greek/Hebrew/Latin/Aramaic/Arabic

March 8, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
  10. BigZebra

I hope it comes soon! The "human" race has destroyed this planet already!

March 8, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  11. L Holbertan

Believe it if you want... who cares anyway. It's not like the world is that great of a place. Global Warming, wars of all sorts, money problems, corrupt politics, etc. The list goes on... if the world is going to end I want to be in Vegas when it all goes down.

March 8, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  12. Huo Guang Hao

umm.. no

March 8, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  13. Ryan Cameron

I'm tired of hiding behind politically correct stances on such things. These people while innocent in their message, are a danger to our society. Like other stories run on this website, I believe there are enough stupid and crazy people out there to make a story like this dangerous. This is exactly why all religion is dangerous.

March 8, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • I'm just saying

I agree. Religion is dangerous. True Christianity is not a religion, but a faith and a personal relationship with Christ. I feel for people who fall for madness, espcecially those who hold Bibles but have no idea what is inside the covers.

March 8, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  14. sameeker

Well, I guess that is one way to get rid of my debts.

March 8, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  15. buck the canuck

Shaan "koo koo" you people are mentally ill. I'm havin santa claus and the easter bunny over for supper tommorrow night and you are invited!!! And "Noah'? Thats the best fairy tale of the whole book! Question for you nutcase christians out there about " the ark"....what did the foxes eat the day after they left the "ark"? Well? Come on answer me....I know foxes love bunny rabbits. So if the foxes ate the bunnies then why are there bunnies today? KOO KOO!!!

March 8, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  16. bill

Freaks....God is just pretend.....deal with it.

March 8, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
    • T.O.

Amen.

March 8, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
    • Timetraveler

Blessed is he who knows god is only Santa Claus for adults.

March 8, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Jesus

Ahhh, you're just kidding. Next thing you'll tell me is that Santa Claus and the Tooth fairy aren't real.

March 8, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  17. Roberto

The world is always ending for human beings because the stories they tell are constantly changing. Life is empty and meaningless – all meaning in the world comes from human being's interprtive stories telling of "what happened". Hopefully the changes today that are taking place are happening because we are more concious of our place in the Universe – In other words – there are no boundries to what is possible.

March 8, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  18. bellus

Who cares if it ends. There is nothing anyone can do when that time comes.

March 8, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • displeased

Humans will cause the end of our civilization. Yes, there is something we can do about it.

March 8, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  19. E=mc^2

"I plan on living forever. So far, so good."
    –Steven Wright

March 8, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • Jesus

It says "Holy God". Does that mean that there is an Unholy God? Also I never understood why some televangelists reverse the name Jesus Christ and say Christ Jesus. Was JC in the Army where everything is first names last?

March 8, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  20. Shaan Phillips

If you don't believe in God or if you are in church no matter what church you're in this news is outrageous to you. why because you don't have the Bible as your authority. your god is probably your money,(want fun to the end) or if are in church your pastor or priest is your authority because whatever they say you will believe in. the Bible says that the end the world revelation will be revealed in the last days but tell it to the churches today. they will tell you that Christ will come as a thief in night. that is why the bible is very clear about them in 1Thesalonians 5 : 3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.

peace and safety is the message of churches today for their followers. if you accept Jesus as your saviour your are in peace with God. they have change the gospel of Christ to something that make them gain more money and have more fellowers, because salvation is of God and there is nothing we can do deserve it whether believing or accepting Christ will never get us into peace with God but only by his mercy through our Lord Jesus Christ we can be saved. as it was in Noa's days so will be in the last days. so how was it in Noas days? ( Noa and his house hold knew when the flood was going to happen) as it is in our day the true believers who only look to the Bible as their authority know that the May 21, 2011 is going to be the judgement day. whether the rest of the world agrees or not it won't change anything.

March 8, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Jon

Will you promise to post on May 22nd if we're all still here? I'd like to see what you have to say.

March 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • Missz

Jesus said "No one knows about that day or hour, not even angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father"

March 8, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • JustPlainJoe

Would it not be nice if life were so simple and easy to wrap up in a few sentences.

March 8, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • Timetraveler

Since you're going to heaven on May 21 and longer have any use for your money, house, car, etc., can I have them? I'm serious. You have nothing to lose. Let me know and we'll exchange emails. I can use some earthly goods.

March 8, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • I'm just saying

I am sorry that you believe that, and hope that you don't end your own life when you find it to not be true. If you really knew the Bible, you woul know that Matthew 24:36 says; "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." So for you [and your group] to say that 5/21/2011 is the date, you are going against the word that you claim to believe in.

There are bad things happening on Earth, but this is hardly the end. There are much worse things to come. We are experiencing the 'birthing pains', but we are not in the ninth month. I hope that you pull away from a group that claims to know. The next thing is that one of your leaders will claim to be Christ. Will you believe that too?

March 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • Sagian

" ... this news is outrageous to you. why because you don't have the Bible as your authority..."

Well, DUH?!

Will you still proclaim the authority of the Bible on May 22nd? Yes or no – either way you answer, it demonstrates that you're currently suffering a delusion.

March 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • joshua

Stop reading fairly tails and go get a job. May 22 your gonna be like " What? Huh? Where did god go?" Silly people. Always trying to grab attention.

CNN. PLEASE DO A INTERVIEW OF THESE PEOPLE MAY 22!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! FOR YOUR "FAITHFUL" VIEWERS.

Something like this will grab ratings and laughs.

March 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • Carla

Shaan, your naivete is saddening. May you awaken from stupidity and ignorance some day to the realities of existence, and cease being led around by the nose by a man made library of man made stories, crafted by misguided ancients. Remember the bible forbids addition and subtraction.

March 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm |