home
RSS
My Take: Why some people hate God
March 8th, 2011

My Take: Why some people hate God

Editor's Note: Bernard Schweizer is an associate professor of English at Long Island University in Brooklyn. He specializes in the study of iconoclasts and rebels, including the controversial writer and public intellectual Rebecca West. His third book is “Hating God.”

By Bernard Schweizer, Special to CNN

There’s a lost tribe of religious believers who have suffered a lasting identity crisis. I am referring to the category-defying species of believers who accept the existence of the creator God and yet refuse to worship him. In fact they may go so far as to say that they hate God.

No, I’m not talking about atheists. Non-believers may say contemptuous things about God, but when they do so, they are simply giving the thumbs-down to a fictional character. They may as well express dislike about Shakespeare’s devious Iago, Dickens’ scheming Uriah Heep or Dr. Seuss’ Grinch who stole Christmas.

For atheists, God is in the same category as these fictional villains. Except that since God is the most popular of all fictional villains, New Atheists – those evangelizing ones such as Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins - spend a considerable amount of energy enumerating his flaws.

But someone who truly believes in God’s existence and yet hates or scorns him is in a state of religious rebellion so perplexing as to strain our common understanding of faith to the breaking point.

Although these radical dissenters could steal the thunder from the New Atheists, they have remained almost unknown to date.

When it comes to God-hatred, a collective blindness seems to settle on us. First, we lack a generally agreed-upon name to refer to this religious rebellion. And anything that doesn’t have a word associated with it doesn’t exist, right?

Well, in the case of God-hatred, this principle doesn’t hold because the phenomenon does exist whether or not there’s a name for it. And in any case, I’ve ended the semantic impasse by naming these rebels and their stance once for all. My chosen term is misotheism, a word composed of the Greek root “misos” (hatred) and “theos” (deity).

Why do I care so much about them? They strike me as brave, visionary, intelligent people who reject God from a sense of moral outrage and despair because of the amount of injustice and suffering that they witness in this world.

At the same time, they are exercising self-censorship because they dare not voice their opinion openly. After all, publicly insulting God can have consequences ranging from ostracism to imprisonment, fines and even death, depending on where the blasphemy takes place (Ireland, for instance, imposes a fine of up to 25,000 Euros for blasphemy) and what God is the target of attacks (under sharia law, being found an enemy of God, or “mohareb” is a capital offense).

But I also care about these rebels because they chose literature as their principal medium for dealing with their God-hatred. I am a professor of literature, and the misotheists’ choice of literature as their first line of defense and preferred medium endears them to me.

Literature offered them the only outlet to vent their rage against God. And it was a pretty safe haven for doing so. Indeed, hardly anybody seems to notice when God-hatred is expressed in literature. Such writers cleverly “package” their blasphemous thoughts in works of literature without seeming to give offense in any overt way.

At the same time, these writers count on the reader’s cooperation to keep their “secret” safe. It’s like a pact between writer and reader.

Zora Neale Hurston could write that “all gods who receive homage are cruel” without anybody objecting that “all gods” must necessarily include the persons of the Christian Trinity.

Or Rebecca West could write that “something has happened which can only be explained by supposing that God hates you with merciless hatred, and nobody will admit it,” counting on the fact that, since nobody will admit it, nobody will rat her out for blasphemy.

There lies, in a sense, the awesome, subversive power of literary writing, something that had worried Plato 2,400 years ago when he required that all poets be removed from his ideal “Republic.” Interestingly, though, while guardians of propriety have put Huckleberry Finn on the list of proscribed texts because of its liberal use of the N-word, few people have declared Hurston’s "Their Eyes Were Watching God" or Shelley’s "Prometheus Unbound" or West’s "The Return of the Soldier" as forbidden texts because of the underlying misotheism of these works.

And even where the misotheism is overtly expressed, as in Elie Wiesel’s "The Trial of God" or in James Morrow’s "Godhead Trilogy," literature offers an enclave of religious freedom that is vital to the human spirit and its impulse to free itself of any shackles, even the commands of God.

I refer to the story of misotheism as “untold” partly because misotheism tends not to be noticed even when it hides in plain sight. Another reason why the story of misotheism is “untold” is that nobody has bothered yet to draw the larger lines of development over time, beginning with the Book of Job and ending up with utilitarianism, philosophical anarchism and feminism. That story in itself is quite engrossing, but again it is not a story that has really ever been presented.

So I am doing quite a bit of connecting the dots, unearthing overlooked connections and making distinctions such as proposing a system of three different types of misotheism - agonistic (conflicted), absolute and political. Misotheism in its various manifestations is a dark, disturbing and perplexing strand of religious dissent. But at the same time, it is an attitude toward the divine that shows just how compelling belief can be.

If people continue to believe in a God they find to be contemptible, then belief is such a powerful force that it cannot be simply switched off on the basis of empirical data. Thus, in the last consequence, the study of misotheism is a testament to the power of belief, albeit a twisted, unconventional form.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Bernard Schweizer.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Books • God • Opinion

soundoff (1,730 Responses)
  1. Logan

Well for one HE ISN'T REAL

March 25, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  2. Laury

God

What two basic characteristics are part of God's nature? It's in the Bible, Psalm 145:17, NIV. "The Lord is righteous in all His ways and loving toward all He has made."

How is God described? It's in the Bible, Deuteronomy 32:4, NIV. "He is the Rock, His works are perfect, and all His ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is He."

What about God's strength? It's in the Bible, Job 36:5, RSV. "Behold, God is mighty, and does not despise any; He is mighty in strength of understanding."

Can God be trusted to keep His promises? It's in the Bible, Deuteronomy 7:9, NIV. "Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; He is the faithful God, keeping His covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love Him and keep His commands."

Describe God in one word. It's in the Bible, I John 4:8, NIV. "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."

God is compassionate. It's in the Bible, Psalm 86:15, NIV. "But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness."

God is impartial. It's in the Bible, Acts 10:34-35, NIV. "Then Peter began to speak: ‘I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear Him and do what is right."

How far was God willing to go to guarantee a future for me? It's in the Bible, John 3:16, TLB. "For God loved the world so much that He gave His only Son so that anyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."

God has given the ultimate demonstration of what real love is. It's in the Bible, I John 4:9-10, TLB. "God showed how much He loved us by sending His only Son into this wicked world to bring to us eternal life through His death. In this act we see what real love is: it is not our love for God, but His love for us when He sent His Son to satisfy God's anger against our sins."

It pleases God to show us mercy when we don't deserve it. It's in the Bible, Micah 7:18, NIV. "Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of His inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy."

God's blessings are not given just to good people. It's in the Bible, Matthew 5:45-46, TLB. "For He gives His sunlight to both the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust too. If you love only those who love you, what good is that? Even scoundrels do that much."

God stops at nothing! He wants us to have it all! It's in the Bible, Romans 8:32, NIV. "He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all—how will He not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things?"

God loves us like a doting father. It's in the Bible, I John 3:1, NIV. "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!"

God's love is like a safe hiding place. It's in the Bible, Psalm 36:7, NIV. "How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings."

We are to follow God's example. It's in the Bible, I John 4:11, NIV. "Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another."

Love sometimes means discipline. It's in the Bible, Hebrews 12:6, NIV. "Because the Lord disciplines those He loves, and He punishes everyone He accepts as a son."

God never gives up on us. It's in the Bible, Jeremiah 31:3, NIV. "The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: ‘I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness."

Can anything separate God's child from His love? It's in the Bible, Romans 8:38-39, NIV. "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

March 23, 2011 at 9:46 pm |
  3. tmichelle72

Fascinated, simply at awe with the number of atheists that visit the belief page and then say they don’t care. You do care and I am so GLAD to “see” that you do. To not care would be to not show concern or interest. I assume you are all working (I pray) and I assume you are all professionals, maybe with families and so your time is limited and precious. To be an atheists and to frequent or even visit a site dedicated to discussing a being you do not believe exists fascinates me. I totally do not care about fly fishing (I’m sure its fun and relaxing to those who do) and therefore you would absolutely NEVER see me on a site commenting about it. One because I truly do not care about it so I would not waste my time on it and two since I don’t care about it I really would have no clue about it enough to comment except to say “I don’t care”, which would be useless and a waste of my time. So again fascinated! Not that you are here on this page talking about something you don’t believe in, but that you REALLY believe you don’t care. Somewhere deep in you, you do care, about Him and He SURELY cares about YOU.

March 22, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • Ben

If you must know, I am on this site right now because I am waiting for some of my friends to show up. I clicked on this article because it was interesting, and read the comments because I wanted to see what people were saying. From there, I assumed that since it was a "belief" forum, the posters would welcome the "belief" that it's a waste of time to worry about religion to the exclusion of caring about other people. I also felt comfortable espousing the belief that religion is a waste of time and you have much better things to be doing with your life.

Also, I happen to know a lot about the disagreements between believers and atheists/agnostics. This isn't fly-fishing. I, like many atheists, grew up in a religious environment. I know your arguments and all the little nuances.

Please don't take this as me being hateful. I was just trying to give some perspective.

March 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  4. Bob

Take the wind for example... It is there.. you can't see it, you can't touch it, you can't hold it, you cant prove where it begins or where it ends. You can only experience it. You believe in wind because you have experienced it. People of faith believe in God because they have experienced God in their lives. It is the experience of God in your heart and soul as he breaks through the hardened heart of our human condition that allows a person to have true faith. There is no evidence to scientifically measure faith. It exists because it is a connection that has been made in our souls. If you have faith, you have it. If you don't have faith, then you just don't.

March 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Ben

Your analogy is missing the point that a weather vane clearly proves that wind does exist, whereas there is no weather vane for God. You're asking us to rely on witness testimony. I'm sorry, but at least in a courtroom setting, witness testimony is the most unreliable type of evidence possible. Either look it up or just trust me. Tough to prove something to another person when everyone's bias is in the way and they have no way to prove it to you.

March 23, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  5. Ben Dover

"Hate god"? How can you hate a fictional, made up being? I hate losers who push their beliefs on others through legislations, "intelligent design", domestic and foreign policy, etc. Believe what you want but keep it to yourself.

March 22, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • tmichelle72

Ditto Ben, ditto.
      You know that you have free will right.? Which applies to believing in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit as well as coming to a belief based article. Move on Ben. Move on from the pain that brought you to this place that would deny the one that created you. And if you choose not to He'll ALWAYS love you but for the rest of us can you just take your own advice? I'm guessing you will choose to stay the way you are but I'm praying you'll come around.

March 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  6. Red

I don't believe in religion but I do hate religious people. Their the biggest hyprocrites always preaching about the fake God but don't go to church!

March 22, 2011 at 1:06 am |
  7. Tony

About religion...is there Allah or is there is GOD, which one, Religion is nothing more then a believe in a higher spirit, a spirit is nothing more then a believe that it exist. THEN THERE IS THE UNIVERSE Does anyone know how big is the universe? NO so therefore no one who knows how big is GOD. "THE END OF DAYS is near" January 1213 the earth will wobble causing earthquakes, lava will spill all over the earth the oceans will rise changing the topography, the atmosphere will be consumed, our planet will die and orbit just like our mom, a gusted, dusty, desolate planet.
    A series of Cataclysmic events will take place, to mention a few, earthquakes, Yellowstone, the coming California earthquake August 9, 2011, the earth wobble, the volcanic eruptions, the oceans rising, the earth splinting open spilling lava all over, the atmosphere will be consumed killing all living things.

March 17, 2011 at 7:37 am |
  8. Dave

I think one of the reasons your "heroes" are unsung is that people call you crazy if you suggest that seemingly innocuous media, made for mass consumption and entertainment, is in fact anti-God/Christian. You are looked upon as a crazy conspiracy theorist, making something out of nothing. Not having a name or organization attached to this wave of thinking only helps shuffle it in, poisoning the minds of people against God behind the scenes. I'm sure this is just how they like it. "The greatest trick satan ever played was to convince the world he does not exist."

March 16, 2011 at 9:18 am |
  9. PRISM1234

"The closer you look at the world's science and their explanation of how this came about, the more apparent God becomes"

....and the more foolish do appear those who say that the Universe is not the evidence of Intelligent design.

BTW, aren't they the ones who claim to be of superior intelligence to us, believing "simpletons"?

Then, how come they can't see the obvious?!

March 15, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
    • Ben

How is the universe evidence of intelligent design? It's incredibly complex, but also beautifully and elegantly simple. Protons, neutrons, and electrons are the building blocks, and there are only 4 rules that govern their organization: strong and weak nuclear forces, gravity, and electromagnetic force. Everything that exists is just a combination of those concepts. It's all fantastically, wonderfully random. Those things are no proof of a God, they're simply proof that we don't know what came before.

If you want to meet in the middle and just agree that "God" and "I don't know but I intend to find out" are equivalent concepts, we can. Otherwise no, the universe is absolutely not proof of anything except itself, since the fact that we can see it and exist within it would tend to suggest that it does exist.

March 23, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  10. Alexandrine

In says in the Scripture that not everyone will except Christ. So I'm not surprised that people hate God. Scripture also says that in the last days there will be a great falling away from God before Christ return. This attack on God as already started. He has been removed from our schools, government buildings, etc. Even marriage, which God designed, is being attacked. There are wars and rumors of wars and earthquakes in various places. I have to believe that the birth pains have started. If people mock God and hate him, it's because they enjoy the pleasures of their sins, what ever they may be. They know it's wrong and God's light exposes that wrong. They have chosen to love sin over repenting and turning to God. The Scriptures says that people like that are heading for destruction. And not all Christians will have everlasting life. Jesus will tell a few people, "I never knew you!" Test yourself and see if your faith is for real. Remember that we must go through many trials and hardships to get into those pearly gates. Hold strong to your faith and if you don't know if your saved, you're not. Ask Jesus to forgive you and turn away from the wrong and try your best to do the right. God bless!

March 15, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • VoipOfReason

As FYI, "God" didn't design marriage, Man did. Just like the words, "God", "religion", "faith", and "Christmas".

March 22, 2011 at 9:38 am |
  11. Brendan Murphy

Laura, thanks for your lucid reply. You say that '...the blame is essentially on humanity as a whole; God didn't curse us or inflict pain upon any of us, we ruined it for ourselves.' Could you clarify why we constantly mention words like misery, sin and failure when by the time in question the infant human race had already successfully transformed from nomadic desert scavengers to dwellers in great cities whose civilizations could boast moral philosophy, mathematics, astronomy, biology, chemistry, theology and even physics in their pantheon of expanding knowledge? What exactly did we ruin?

March 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  12. JPopNC

People hate God because to acknowledge the possibility would force them to be accountable for the actions in their lives. That's why atheists work soooo hard at disproving God. It has to be their life chore because the alternative would mean eternal damnation. IF I believed (and that's a big IF) that all this occurred as part of a cosmic "accident", then I would definitely not waste my time with something I thought wasn't real. What would be the point?

Everything in the universe, every star, planet, every thing you see, touch, feel, taste...every animal/plant specie, every law of physics, everything.......everything.....came from nothing. Absolute nothing. The problem with that is that space had to have been there, so there never was a "nothing". So, where did that "something" come from?

The closer you look at the world's science and their explanation of how this came about, the more apparent God becomes.

March 14, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Laura

Well put. Why would atheists bother with something they were so sure wasn't real? They don't want God to exist.

March 14, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • rapier

atheists don't work sooo hard at disproving gods (nothing to disprove), we don't "bother". we just have to deal with sheep like you who need to make up such stuff about us – that's where the intrusion and harm lie.

March 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • JPopNC

rapier: I'm finding that whole "sheep" reference to Christians growingly humorous. Sheep tend to follow wherever led and would basically walk off a cliff if led to do so. That's so un-Christian-like. You see, even in the Bible it teaches narrow is the path to righteousness but wide is the path to destruction (and there are many who enter through it). Basically it says very few will actually take up choice to follow Christ and many will go the other way, so in actuality you guys are the sheep and we're the rebels.

The good news about Christ is anyone, absolutely any single person can choose Christ. No one is being kept out but by their own beliefs and ideas. It’s not exclusive in the sense that only a certain group of people can ever be saved. It’s open to anyone to receive it, but it means walking away from worldly thinking and worldly ideas. My prayer would be that you would at least find a pastor somewhere near you to simply discuss the real purpose for Christ being in your life.

March 15, 2011 at 9:24 am |
  13. PaulC

I don't hate God... I hate the hucksters who claim to speak for God and knows his will but only want to control every aspect of your life and needs (send a check now and often) your support. To tell me I must go through them to get to heaven or talk to God is my signal to turn away.

March 14, 2011 at 9:15 am |
    • JPopNC

I totally agree with you PaulC. Those charlatans have a special place in Hell waiting for them. I'm glad you have the discernment to discount their false teachings.

March 14, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  14. Laura

Brendan – first let me say that the question of why God allows horrible things to happen is one that pretty much tops the charts on being insanely difficult to even approach, and I really don't want to begin some sort of debate here – but as far as I am able to understand, given my own reasoning and what God has allowed me to see in life, I think it comes down to free will; human beings have the capacity to choose and make our own decisions. I believe we were made this way so that we would have the ability to truly love (because you must freely choose to love someone).

This might seem irrelevant if we're talking about someone born into a horrific situation that they in no way chose, and I agree; there are billions of scenarios that we could come up with that seem to refute all suggestions of a loving God. My view on this remains that although there are innocent people that suffer, the necessity of free will is such that a truly loving God chose to give humanity the choice to seek him, at the expense of us rejecting him.

I'm not suggesting that everyone's suffering is a result of their own individual rejection of God, what I'm saying is that the blame is essentially on humanity as a whole; God didn't curse us or inflict pain upon any of us, we ruined it for ourselves. Does this adequately put to rest every single scenario that we could come up with of the innocent suffering? Not really, I think we'll always have questions – but I've chosen to trust the God that I know and love rather than to let my questions determine that there must be no God, or to hate him for something that I can't understand.

March 12, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Laura

I see hatred of God as something that many believers go through, and I think that it's a good thing; when you have, or are trying to have a real relationship with someone, you often feel negatively towards them – and sometimes you even hate them. I think its perfectly reasonable to ask God why horrible things happen, and to be really upset about it. I give major kudos to God for allowing us to.

March 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Brendan Murphy

Laura, when you ask God why horrible things happen, what does He reply?

March 12, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • C.S. Lewis

The Problem of Pain

March 20, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  16. jay

i dont know if there is a god or not, but if there is 1, he is certainly evil, i mean why create the poor, sick, etc. just to have someone to torture?

March 11, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

One of the main works of satan is to discredit God by throwing mud on His character, because that's how he put a wall of seperation between man and his creator... He knows that if the can separate man from His creator, he has him right where he wants him, and has his soul da-mned for eternity. It is not God who created evil, and who indulges in tortures. All the evil, corruption, injustice, sickness and suffering in this world is the result of man's disobedience and rebellion toward God. The whole creation suffers on count of this very thing. God had every reason to abandon us, and leave us orphaned, but He didn't. He provided the way of salvation, with promise of future to those who love Him, that is incomprehensible to the mind of mankind. But God did not promise that there would be no suffering, in this valley of tears and sorrow, cursed because of our sin.

But this is not what satan will tell you! He will accuse God to you, so he'll keep you in bondage to himself, while he makes you think that he is the one who is liberating you from your "evil" Creator. Now, you tell me who is the loser here, and who is being made a fool out of?!

March 12, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • Minkakross

so according to you satan has the power of creation and spends all his time using his god like powers to throw mud on god's character by way of doing horrible things in the world. Yet we are supposed to feel that god has not abandoned us because once 2000 years ago god got involved and said hey humans if you believe in this guy over here...no wait scratch that jesus said hey humans if you believe I'm the son of god when you die I'll take you to heaven. yeah it doesn't take a super genious to realize if there is a god and a satan, satan won the character assassination war a long time ago because god never even tried to show up for the fight. Then again maybe all that bad stuff is just nature and men looking for a way to explain the things they don't understand by blaming satan.

March 17, 2011 at 11:50 am |
  17. Eric

Don't we already have the word "maltheist?"

March 11, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  18. HEYRYK

OKEY, THEY ARE GOING ALL LIVE HATING GOD, BUT WHEN THE TIME OF TRUTH OR TIME OF DEAD COME THEY ASK GOD FOR FORGIVENESS. THEY ARE A LOT OF EXAMPLES LIKE MARX AND LENIN.

March 11, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • Eric

Most, to my knowledge, were dismissed as flat out lies by the deceased close friends and family, as with the case of Charles Darwin and Carl Sagan. Where did you read that Karl Marx had a deathbed conversion?

March 11, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • Don

ME SMART. ME USE ALL CAPS. UGH!

March 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  19. Bob

Brad, that is a new one. All the different angles by which we come at the issue, some personal, some metaphisical, some just mechanical (regurgitation someone elses ideas). One thing to note, for clarity. In the Bible, Jesus, having died and resurected, became the 'firstborn' Son of 'The New' creation. The sense of it is that in the new creation (celestial) there will be many son's (no gender implied) and God will be/is the Father of those. I not 100% sure, but I don't think that current, mortal creatures (us humans) have that relationship. In the current context, God is our creator. This might change the whole scope of the picture for you, then again, maybe not. By the rules of nature/physics (entropy, dissorganization, etxc.), organic life as we know it and 'love' it, is going to end at some point in the future. This sojourn on planet earth is something of a staging area. It is fortunate that it states in the Bible that all manner of blasphemy and railing and shaking one's fist at God will be forgiven, except for one sin; and I'll just leave it at that.

March 11, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
  20. PRISM 1234

There is one that hates God, and has unmeasurable hatred for everything that's dear to God, specialty mankind, which God made in His own image, and has created man to have relationship and fellowship with him. That's how satan lives out his hatred, and takes out his vengeance and furry, by targeting the "apple of god's eye", human beings which He loves. And he,satan, will do anything in his power to deceive mankind, to turn their hearts and souls from their Creator. That's the main reason for which people hate God.
    But , satan could not make a person hate God unless he finds something in the heart of that person that agrees with him.. And that's pride(which is the sin, originated by satan himself), the love of Self, and love of sin that's in that person heart, and he wants to hold on to it, so he rebels against God in his heart.
    we ar seeing the phenomenon in our day and time, where the hatred for God is manifested more then in any time, since the pre-flood world. And as the time passes it will grow more and deeper in people's hearts, so when the man of sin enters the world scene, he will have enormous number of followers to join him. Yet, God is not surprised by what's happening... He has reserved those world events for the last days, to culminate before Christ return.

March 11, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

P.S.
      By saying "the man of sin enters the world scene", I meant to say The Man of Sin, which is the anti-Christ, spoken of in the Scriptures., who will be the devil himself incarnate, a counterfeit Christ, whom the world will love, and receive as the Savior!

March 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • meanbean55

""I'm finding that whole "sheep" reference to Christians growingly humorous. Sheep tend to follow wherever led and would basically walk off a cliff if led to do so. That's so un-Christian-like. You see, even in the Bible it teaches narrow is the path to righteousness but wide is the path to destruction (and there are many who enter through it). Basically it says very few will actually take up choice to follow Christ and many will go the other way, so in actuality you guys are the sheep and we're the rebels.""

Actually the sheep reference is more accurate for christians than athiests. And by far the majority of people have some sort of belief in a higher power, so no, athiests are "rebels" and you are definatly still sheep, following long dead sheperds.

""The reason for that is because sin is fun, it feels good, looks good and makes the wide path real easy to follow. Americans are increasingly becoming very selfish, we seek our own pleasures and take the whole "if it doesn't hurt anyone, what's the harm" mentality. ""
      No, sin is fun because sin isnt real. As long as you dont hurt anyone else you should be able to do whatever your heart desires, whether thats drinking alcohol, smoking weed, or being gay. Religion was used to controll the masses to give power to monarchies throughout history. They promoted religion because it was the greatest controll they could have over their subjects. It was a way to explane the unexplanable, and a way to enforce laws. If the punishment is eternal damnation, not too many people are going to step out of line. That would be all well and good if religion kept people in line, and the actual morals taught in various holy books were actually followed. But religion has been used for thousands of years as an excuse for wars, brutality, and a blindness for facts and reality.

March 25, 2011 at 4:53 am |