home
RSS
March 21st, 2011

Married priest ordained in Wisconsin

From CNN Milwaukee affiliate WITI

It was a traditional ordination at St. Jerome Parish Saturday for a man with a non-traditional path to priesthood.

Deacon Russell Arnett, now Father Arnett, was first ordained in the Episcopal Church where priests are allowed to marry. Now Arnett is the first priest to enter the Archdiocese of Milwaukee through what is called the "Pastoral Provision."

It is a Vatican rule started in 1980 that makes it easier for Anglican clergy to convert to Catholicism.

Read the full story about the ordination of a married Milwaukee priest on WITI
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Episcopal

1. RomanCatholic_

@Catholic Mom, I know how you feel, but don't worry, our departed brothers and sisters will soon realize and understand everything. =D

How sad though, that all these feels of negativity, arguments, and frustration are created when refering to Christianity, God, Jesus, and our religions. If anything, at all, Jesus is Love, and all those who are posting very sarcastic words that are actually hurting somebody else, realize what you are doing. That is not love, that is not the way of Jesus. All the knowledge and questioning that you display is no good, show your love, that'll show how you are a true supporter and believer of the way of Christ.

I am Roman Catholic, very much in love with my church, and I will never consider anything anybody else has to say when it's negative. Never. I love my Pope, I love our teachings, I love our ways, I love all our Saints, I love God.
    Here we are writing on blogs, when we could definitely be outside making a difference, with those who truly need it, professing the Love of Jesus for us, but no.
    As far as I know, Mother Teresa, a beautiful Roman Catholic nun, 😉 did a pretty good job at showing what love is.

When will be truly do what God wants?

God Bless Alll of You!!
    May our Blessed Mother, Virgin Mary continue to intercede for us ❤

March 24, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

@ RomanCatholic
      I think the things you are saying are well meaning, but I think you mistook some things we , who believe in Holy Scriptures above the teachings of your church are saying... I have been around other forums, and have seen similar responses as yours, from those who deem themselves to be Christians, but have hard time digesting the message of truth posted by some of us who are plainly spelling it out that Jesus Christ is the only way to eternal life. Their point is love, love and only love. But there is a problem with that... Love without thruth is lame, just as th truth without love is lame....My point here is, if we don't expose the lies that people are tangled in, what is the use to love them and let them go to their destruction? I went thru some very hard times in my life because I've been lied too for years. It took the power of God to get me out of it. I don't beat around the bu'sh when it comes to ex'posing the deceiver and his work. The words I wrote to the lady I spoke last night were not sarcastic, and if this is what you implied in your post above, go read the one of hers, written to me, at March 23 11:27AM... read the first few paragraphs... Now, go and read my response to her, and see if I was sarcastic! My post was firm, decisive and straight to the point! The reason I say this, is because I want you to open your eyes and look, and face the fact, the truth the reality.
      That's how I got to be set free! I had to face the fa'cts, the truth and reality. Without this effort we will run to only thing we know.. to our old familiar shelter..... And that's what I see the RCC is to many who lean on it, to be their mediator between them and God.
      Many passages of Scripture of New Tes'tament speak about the love of God , and present it in the way that we can see the depth of God's endless mercies toward us. But you can't ever separate the love of God from His truth.... in fact , in many Scriptures the Love of God is shown forth thru warnings, admonitions, and instructions. Father who loves us cares enough to warn us. He knows our frame, He knows the traps out there, and that we have an enemy who never sleeps nor sl'umbers, and can, and does transform himself even into angel of light to deceive. ... Is this not love, to tell the people the truth? Think for yourself....
      I don't care how much you love your church, your pope, their teachings their ways, the saints, and so on.... But if you don't love God more then any of those, or anything else what's dear to you, if it is them you will follow , instead of The Word of God made flesh, who is Jesus Christ Himself, then they are your god.... And this is idolatry!
      Now, I want you to examine this what I'm writing you, and see if there is hate in my post... I don't hate anyone, not the people of RCC, not even their leaders. They need to be prayed for, and told where they are wrong....There is always hope for those who still have breath in them. But when they die, there is no purgatory for them... Just heaven or hell. That's why I write in such serious manner. God is not slacking in His standards... He will not be convinced by numbers of followers and persuaded by crowds. He has set His standard, and it is the Word of God . And here is what it says in the Word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit, given thru apostle Paul, to us , His people:

"" Now this I say lest anyone should deceive you with persuasive words. For though I am absent in the flesh, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good order and the steadfastness of your faith in Christ.
      As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it[b] with thanksgiving.
      Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.""Colossians Ch.2
      He gave the Word, and it's up to us to whom will we listen too!
      I hope you understand the things I want to convey to you, and see the spirit in which it is written.
      Good Night.

March 25, 2011 at 12:54 am |
    • CatholicMom

Prism1234 and RomanCatholic,

Prisim1234 wants Colossians Ch.2 to make you, RomanCatholic, believe that Catholics are the ones who have pulled away from Christ because of us holding to the Traditions of the Church….but St. Paul is warning those he is speaking to as well as those at Laodicia and to whoesoever have not met him yet against the impostures that would say things that would cause them to pull away from Christ. He is telling them that they have received Christ Jesus the Lord so stay strong with thanksgiving. He warns not to fall into traditions of the Jews which go against what they have learned about Christ. He tells them they are complete in Christ who is the head of all. They have received Baptism and are in the Body of Christ of which Christ is the Head.

2 Thessalonians 2:15: So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.

2 Thessalonians 3:6:Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is living in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us.

The Traditions of Christ must be held close to the heart and not lost. Jesus Christ didn’t just give us His Word in the Bible…He first gave us His Church and His Word spoken…His Teachings to His disciples [Tradition] then almost 400 years later His Church gathered His inspired Scripture out of all the writings and scriptures they had available to them. For those almost 400 years Jesus Christ's Church lived by Tradition and those He placed in Authority [which we call the Magisterium]. When the Church compiled the Bible they did not throw out the Church Authority and Tradition! It was all meant to ‘work’ together as it does so well.

Recall that Jesus Christ had promised to send the Advocate who WILL teach Apostles what they will need to know in the future….this is how they knew which Books to place in the Bible…this is how they knew that it would work along with what they were already given. Truth never changes and so you do not throw out a Truth when fullness of Truth comes to light. No, they work together!

"I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now. But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to all truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming. He will glorify me, because he will take from what is mine and declare it to you. (John 16:12-14)

So, RomanCatholic, you are on the well lit Path!

March 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  2. Marlene

*Original Sin corrected for above

March 24, 2011 at 9:01 am |
  3. Marlene

I have tried 3 times to post back to you CatholicMom, and the post for some reason is not showing. When I try to repost, it says "duplicate comment..you already said that".

I will try again later. I have to leave right now, but it is in refernece to "YOu dod not understand Mystical Body of Christ post from you.

March 24, 2011 at 8:01 am |
  4. Marlene

CatholicMom

Patty,
    Where does it say in the Bible…..
    ‘...Jesus says we should read the Bible on our own in order to know and understand the truth and that is what I have been doing for the last year ..’ …?
    Doesn’t it say we are to HEAR the Word of God? ….and hear it from someone SENT?

CatholicMom...Please read this scripture...2 Peter 1:20, "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

It means that all the teachings and words of the apostles, came directly from the Holy Spirt, and not from any private interpetation on thier part.
    Since what the bible says, is dvinely inspired, no man should try to change it. It says what it says. You cannot pick out parts, and say this is what it means.

Thus, the bible interpets itself.
    . The reader is free to accept the Word of God as it is plainly written, or not.
    2Timothy 3:16 All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

Mark 7:9, "Full well do you reject the Word of God that you may keep your own tradition" .

March 23, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Marlene,

In reference to 2Peter 1:20"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation." Where does the Bible say that it interprets itself? No where…Jesus Christ gave His Apostles and their successors the Authority to bind and loose and what they bind or loose is accepted in Heaven because they have the Advocate teaching and reminding!

You must realize that when I use this verse to explain that no one has the right to decide that a verse means something other than what the AUTHOR is saying…does not mean that one cannot read Scripture but that when one comes to a conclusion that differs from what the Author is saying THAT is private interpretation. Who is the AUTHOR? God, using men to write His message. Who did He give Authority to? His Apostles and their Successors. Jesus Christ said that the Father sent Him with Authority and that is how He was sending the Apostles out into the world…with His Authority. Who gathered the inspired Word of God? Jesus Christ’s Church [the Catholic Church] which He founded for our benefit. Who has the Authority to correctly interpret the Bible? Jesus Christ’s Church. He told His disciples that whoever rejects them [ He promised the Advocate to guide and guard them]…these people who reject them also reject Him and the One who sent Him…His Father and ours.

So, yes, read the Bible but if you start to come to thinking that you can interpret the Bible in a different way than the way it has been interpreted already by Jesus Christ’s Advocate protected Church then you know someone else is inspiring you…not the Holy Spirit because the Holy Spirit has already spoken the Truth to His Church about such matters as they were directed to know which Scripture were inspired in the first place.

Plus, remember that Jesus Christ said that He WILL teach them [Apostles and successors] as we can bear it….so I happily await what He has to say through His Church. I love His plan…it is Perfect as He is and He wants us to be Perfect, too; He has done all this for us so that we can become Saints. So we must endure and persevere in His Plan and by doing so we find our cross that we may have to bear becomes might lighter….His yoke is not a strangle hold but a blessing…His Path is narrow but well lit…

March 24, 2011 at 9:13 am |
    • CatholicMom

Marlene,

2Timothy 3:16 when this was written it was in reference to the Old Testament. And it is true. You can apply it to the New Testament now that those Scriptures have been placed in the Bible along with Old Testament Scriptures. But it doesn’t say that Scripture is all we need. I could tell an athlete that exercise is profitable for making the body work for his particular sport but is that all the athlete needs is exercise? What about food and sleep, etc?

Mark 7:9…this is in reference to those who wished to hold fast to the traditions of men [practices about not healing on the Sabbath, hoarding money, not helping Samaritans, etc]. Here are verses in reference to Sacred Tradition: 1 Corinthians 11:2: I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you"

Recall that Jesus Christ had promised to send the Advocate who WILL teach Apostles what they will need to know in the future….this is how they knew which Books to place in the Bible…this is how they knew that it would work along with what they were already given. Truth never changes and so you do not throw out an older Truth when newer Truth or fullness of Truth comes to light. No, they work together!

Does a Scientist throw out old info or build on it?

Does the farmer stop milking cows by hand when he gets a milking machine? No, he still uses his hands to get every drop after the machine is taken off…sure, large mega farm farmers probably just use the machine but they have many more mammary problems in their cow udders due to sola milk machine.

March 24, 2011 at 10:07 am |
  5. Marlene

Btw, CatholicMom.. that "Mystical Body of Christ"...that is man made. Nowhere in the bible did Jesus say anything about anything "mystical". Everything he said was said to be understood, no mystery needed. It is just more contriving by the Papal "authority" in your church, to get more "authority" twisitng the scripture to make it fit with the Catholic Church beliefs.
    I cite :http://www.ewtn.com/library/encyc/p12mysti.htm

Now we see that the human body is given the proper means to provide for its own life, health and growth, and for that of all its members. Similarly the Savior of mankind out of His infinite goodness has provided in a wonderful way for His Mystical Body, endowing it with the Sacraments, so that, as though by an uninterrupted series of graces, its members should be sustained from birth to death, and that generous provision might be made for the social needs of the Church.

Through the waters of Baptism those who are born into this world dead in sin are not only born again and made members of the Church, but being stamped with a spiritual seal they become able and fit to receive the other Sacraments. By the chrism of Confirmation, the faithful are given added strength to protect and defend the Church, their Mother, and the faith she has given them. In the Sacrament of Penance a saving medicine is offered for the members of the Church who have fallen into sin, not only to provide for their own health, but to remove from other members of the Mystical Body all danger of contagion, or rather to afford them an incentive to virtue, and the example of a virtuous act.

Marlene The first line of that is a lie. Baptism does not save. Jesus did not say you needed to have all the sacraments of the church, either. He said Repent of your sins, and (confess)believe on me. Then he said to be baptised, by immersion, (not sprinkling) and filled with the Holy Spirit.
    The Father, God, sends you to Jesus, (by his grace you are saved) who in turns sends you the Holy Spirit, which your body is the temple of.

Then he goes on to say:

They, therefore, walk in the path of dangerous error who believe that they can accept Christ as the Head of the Church, while not adhering loyally to His Vicar on earth. They have taken away the visible head, broken the visible bonds of unity and left the Mystical Body of the Redeemer so obscured and so maimed, that those who are seeking the haven of eternal salvation can neither see it nor find it.

Marlene The first line there is not true either. Nowhere at all, is it said anywhere by Jesus, that you must ADHERE LOYALLY TO HIS VICAR ON EARTH> or you cannot have Salvation! That is a lie from Hell, and I feel sorry for anybody who believes that. NO BODY but JESUS CHRIST, who died on that cross for your sins, can save you. NO loyalities to Earthly Vicars, that is BS! Another created papal rule, to control the people. Period. Enough said.

I cannot believe anybody who reads through that link, and can come away saying AMEN! Had better have there heart and head examined.

The only scaraments Jesus spoke of was Baptism (done by Grace, being saved in Jesus Christ, and Baptised and filled with the Holy Spirit), and Holy Communion, which he said, "Do this in remembrance of me".

March 23, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

@Marlene
      Now you can see what I mean with the words "the depth of darkness"......
      P.S. When I came to write my last post , the one adressed to you, I didn't see your post above.... How fitting the things you said to what I said.....I don't think it'sa coincidence!

March 23, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Marlene,

You have a problem understanding Mystical Body of Christ because you think that every word that helps us understand Christianity has to be found in the Bible. This is not true…not every word is in the Bible but the Catholic Church has the Authority, given it by Jesus Christ through His Apostles and their successors to explain the Truth in its fullness as it is given to Holy Mother Church by the Advocate, Holy Spirit.

"And I will ask the Father and He will give you another Advocate to dwell with you forever, the Spirit of Truth whom the WORLD cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. But YOU shall know Him, because He will dwell with YOU, and be in YOU. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to YOU." John 14:16-18

"These things I have spoken to you while yet dwelling with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He WILL TEACH YOU ALL THINGS, and bring to your mind whatever I have said to you." John 14:25-26

Jesus Christ has not dwelled with you or I or spoken things to either of us…He is telling this to the Apostles that the Advocate WILL [meaning in the future] teach them all things….so there are things that need to be learned in the future as well as things to be reminded of. This verse is clearly explaining how the Advocate will work through them.

Marlene, you said this sentence is not true…. ‘They, therefore, walk in the path of dangerous error who believe that they can accept Christ as the Head of the Church, while not adhering loyally to His Vicar on earth.’ This verse…Lk. 10:16 backs up that statement…read it….
      “He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me” This is Christ instructing His disciples.

Here is a short list of words for you to ponder in your heart…mostly Catholic words…with a couple protestant words thrown in at the end….none are in the Bible…
      Are you accepting of these words which are not found in the Bible?…Trinity…Incarnation…. Bible…. Sacrament…Eucharist…. Or these protestant words……Sola Fide….Sola Scriptura….

Quite seriously…Baptism is what now saves you! 1Peter3:21. Baptism replaces circu-mcision of the Old Covenant…Baptism is of the New Covenant which is for all people. Why do you think it was a command of Jesus Christ’s to the Apostles to go out and Baptize all nations? Yes, Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins so that we might have life everlasting. The door to Heaven was shut due to Adam and Eve’s fall…Jesus Christ by His death and resurrection opened the door to Heaven and now wants all to be Baptized to cleanse us of this Original Sin that stains our soul.

I hope I didn’t make this too long for you….

March 24, 2011 at 12:30 am |
  6. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Priestly Celibacy is not enforced in Eastern Rite Roman Catholicism. That is because the Eastern Rite Churches were isolated from Rome from the 1400s to the mid 1800s (something about the Ottoman Empire having surrounded them), and were out of contact with the Papacy. Their prayers included the Pope (whoever he may be – their actual prayer at the time), but because they were following OLDER traditions than Rome had changed, they did not require celibacy.
    If they allowed married priests and allowed divorced and remarried people like me back into the Communion of the Church then the RC would stop hemorrhaging members and would have more people willing and able to become priests. Of course, as they have admitted Newt Gingrich into the church, with his history if infidelity, divorce and remarriage, then maybe I don't want back in and am happy in my Protestantism!

March 23, 2011 at 10:18 am |
  7. BigFatCryBabt

There is nothing new here. Many of the popes in the 1400's and 1500's had wives and mistresses and multiple children. This is a well known fact.

March 23, 2011 at 7:12 am |
    • Marlene

Well said Prism 1234! Obviosly "BigFatCryBaby" is just what his/her handle denotes! LOL!
      Looks like thats all the person could find to pick on, and from that next comment which was:
      BigFatCryBabt

LOL, Sounds like an masquerading Catholic to me! Well, whats the big deal...same at-ti-tude used when discus-sing the pedo' priests...well, everybody else does it too, they say.

Go crawl back under your rock, cry baby.

March 23, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

Hi, Marlene!
      Glad to see you here!
      .....No, there isn't really anything new! I was in that church, being from overseas ( small country in Europe), there was no other church but RCC. We never had a Bible... We were told that only the Mother Church can tell us what it says and means, and that people are not able to understand it.... I came here , and the first time I saw the error in it, it was when I read the Ten Commandments picture story book to my child. I saw that there was another commandment RCC took out! ! ! ! 2nd one: "Thou shall not make unto thyself any graven images". Roman church took the 2nd out, and took the 10th commandment spliting it into two, so to make 10 of them ! ! I went to the Catholic Bible and the Commandment was there, in the Scriptures, but they withheld it from people, by deciet! From that time, God pulled the curtain, and I've seen so many things that were contrary to the Bible in that church! That was beginning of my deliverance from that semi-cult religion....I say semi-cult, because the RCC is the only group professing Christ, with TRUTH IN THE CORE OF IT. Their basic doctrines are right. But the heresies they have attached to it, can only be explained in words, "The Depths Of Darkness" ... And it has such strong hold on those who are in it, becasue the things they are steeped in seem so beautiful, so holy and mystical!
      THAT IS where satan beguiles those people, as it is even evident here, on this forum... Only God, thru the revelation of His Word, by the power of His Spirit can set someone free. But they must first want Him, and HIS TRUTH more then anything, more then any man's opinion........ That's how God sifts the hearts! If anyone loves the "chruch" and what it teaches and offers them above God, and He discerns the intents of their hearts, this person WILL STAY DECIEVED!...
      I feel burden for those people, because many are sincere... We must pray for them. But God will bring it to pass, and He will expose the false, and what really is in the depths of darkness of RCC.

There will be massive exodus from among them in the future, because those who love the TRUTH will recognise it and leave. The rest will follow and perrish with it, when the day of God's dealings with them comes...We are very close to those days..... We really must pray for those people !....

March 23, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
  8. BigFatCryBabt

HereWeGoAgain,
    "What you have wrote" ?
    Very incorrect English usage.
    What you have written.
    Hmmm....can't speak Engliish correctly.....hmmmmm.....
    What else is wrong withy this picture ?

March 23, 2011 at 7:01 am |
    • PRISM 1234

Oh, for crying out loud! what will some latch on too, just to discredit someone! Ask yourself this: If you liked what someone said, would you point out some trivial thing, such as spelling error,( or how someone used the words to express their thoughts), or would you just over look it, since you like their comment?

I"ll tell you something, friend! When you learn couple other languages, other then your own, speaking them fluently, and learn to spell, and communicate in them almost without error, then you may be able to criticise someone else's writting/spelling! ! But usually those type of people don't do it, since their intelligence level and their self esteem is healthy enough , and they don't see need to put down others in order to lift themselves up! It's usualy thsoe with secret motives who love to do that! It's worth to ponder this thought.... How about it, hm?! ! !
      Good Day!

March 23, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • Magic

PRISM.
      "If you liked what someone said, would you point out some trivial thing, such as spelling error..."

Actually, I do that fairly often. It is better to have opinions with which I agree presented in an intelligent, educated manner.

I admire your ability to be multi-lingual. I do not admire your nasty supernatural fantasy.

March 23, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

Hello again, Magic
      You couldn't resist, could you?!
      ...... my nasty supernatural fantasy, hm?
      Well, well! How nasty of you to devalue my posts, calling them nasty supernatural fantasy....What makes you think you are right?! Can a blind man describe the tree, the sun rays shining thru it's branches, and the clouds in the sky? Why, he may tell the guy who tells him about those things that they don't even exist, and theat he's speaking out of his fantasies!....So is your case against mine! I knwo in WHOM I believe, and WHY do I believe.... He reveals Himself to those who seek Him, and blinds the eyes of the proud, arrogant and self willed....

But, as I said before: we'll see what's real and what's fantasy.. I know that you people, who deny God and make sport of gathering yourself together to mo'ck those who belong to Him, you would do anything co'nvincing yourself that there is no God , that you have no soul, and that this life is all there is! brother, you're gra'sping for strews! The evidence is all around you, even imprinted on your own co'nscience, till it was silenced by what's in your won heart! That, friend, if that is not shutting your eyes and pretending, then I haven't seen one... And that's make believe. So you've got it...

But, like I said before to you... neither I, nor others who are on this forum who are believers are your enemies! You have one that you can not reco'gnize, and vehemently deny that he even exists, the enemy of your soul....and yet you are cau'ght in his web of deceit, who is holding you captive, yet making you think that you're free! You've read my other posts. I explained it....
      .....But to each his own. No need to carry on further!
      There is time to speak, and there is time to let it be....
      Good evening to you! 🙂

March 23, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • Georgia

BigFatCryBabt

HereWeGoAgain,
      "What you have wrote" ?
      Very incorrect English usage.
      What you have written.
      Hmmm....can't speak Engliish correctly.....hmmmmm.....
      What else is wrong withy this picture ?

LOLOLOLOLOLOL,...Just coud not resist! This one's making fun of somebody else's spelling. Now, check the last line of thier post..
      " What else is wrong withy this picture ?" WITHY? Seem's you got your due justice? LOL

March 25, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
  9. Chris

Who cares. It happens all the time, why the big deal CNN. The Vatican law is from 1980 I am sure there are many converted Episcopal and Anglican priests that are married and are priest in the Catholic Church.

March 22, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  10. Tyler Wenzel

In Paul's first letter to Timothy he warned him that apostates would enter the congregation, one of the characteristics that he mentioned was "forbidding to marry"(1 Tim. 4:1-3). Before a Catholic tries to reason that "forbidding to marry" only applies to those not ordained as overseers in the congregation Paul wrote in 1 Tim 3:2 states that a qualification for serving as an overseer in the congregation is a "husband of one wife".

Additonally:
    While the forbidding to marry certainly applied to early heretics, the warning is equally valid today; Paul did not say they will forbid to marry for x years and then its ok. Also, there was no clergy/laity distinction the Christian congregation until well after Paul penned his epistles*. Therefore his warning against those forbidding to marry applied not only to "laity", but to everyone from overseers to widows and orphans.

Husband of one wife was not, as one commenter asserted meaning that a man has only ever been married once. Should a man's wife die and he remarry, that does not disqualify him from serving as an overseer. Rom. 7:2,3 shows that there are other than adultery, death is the only other termination of a marriage. A mate is free to remarry upon the death of a spouse. His counsel that an overseer should be a "husband of one wife" was warning against the Jewish custom of polygamy which was prevalent then.

* Source for claim: “IN THE New Testament and during the early apostolic times there is no mention of clergy or laity,” wrote professor of theology Cletus Wessels. The Encyclopedia of Christianity states: “There gradually arose a differentiation into clergy as the officeholders and the laity as the rest . . . ‘Ordinary’ church members now came to be seen as an unqualified mass.” That differentiation became prominent during the third century C.E.—more than two hundred years after Jesus Christ!

March 22, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  11. PRISM1234

@ Catholic Mom

"The Catholic Church is the pillar and foundation of Truth; She is the One Church without stain, blemish or wrinkle; the One Bride of Christ…the One Jesus Christ promised to guide and guard and bring into remembrance of all that He told the Apostles and into the fullness of Truth as we can bear it. "

Oh, how de'cei'ved one can be?! If your ears were not clo'gged by in'do'ctri'nation by THEM, you would understand that the Scr'ipture is saying that the SPIR'ITUAL BODY OF CHRIST AND HIS BRIDE ARE THOSE WHO ARE WAS'HED BY THE BLO'OD OF JESUS , BEING BORN OF HIS SPI'RIT, ARE BEING PRE'PA'RED AS THE BRIDE OF CHRIST FOR HIS COMMING. It is not an org'ani'zation leading the flo'c'k! You are so amiss, being so in'do'ctri'nated that you can't even see that the e'rr'or RCC is stee'ped in, is leading you away from the only found'ation l is there to hold on to: Jesus Chrsit Himself! Is it maybe because you are int'ri'gued by it's (RCC"s) my'ster'ious en'dea'vors? The adoration of "Mary", the e'erie st'atues lit'tering their places of worship, in'dul'ge'nces, ( ******) mindless re'peti'tion prayers, apearings of "Mary" in divers places, claiming that SHE IS the "imma'cu'late co'nce'ption".... Where is your dis'cer'nment, Lady? Can't you tell that this sp'irit who is imper'so'nating Mary, the bless'ed mother of our Lord, is claiming glory for himself? THE ONLY IMMA'CU'LATE CO'NCEP'TION EVER IS AND EVER WILL BE IS JESUS CHRIST , OUR LORD! And when RCC pro'claims tha Mary as co-redem-pt'res along with Jesus Christ, and that SHE IS THE ONE who leads the faithful into the truth, and to his Son.... Can't you see that they are giving "her" the place of the Holy Spirit, who alone leads the people to Christ?
    AND THEN YOU SAY THIS IS THE TRUE CHURCH BEING LED AND PROTECTED BY CHRIST?
    They are the dw'elling place of satan, who de'ceives the flo'ck of Christ! Go read the Revelations ch2,3, where Christ addresses the ch'urches! You will find it there! And it's not the Church of Sm'yrna or Philadelphia! Ask God to open your eyes, because the spirit of de'cep'tion has sed'uced you with his lull'abies....
    And finally, Lady, I'm not your enemy! I don't say these things to dis'tu'rb you, nor anyone else! But you need to face some realities, and go to the Sou'rce to find the Truth! And if you seek, Jesus has promised you will find! That promise He will keep, for sure. But you can not go thru another "cha'nne'ls", but straight to Him!

*****There is one pr'act'ice they have, I don't know what it is called... It's when they pray ,often holding obje'cts or a'mu'lets, and for every so many prayers they say, they get somany days ora weeks of forgiveness for their sins! Do you really think that is the way God operates?!!! Think, Lady, think!!!

March 22, 2011 at 11:49 am |
    • Barry

According to the Bible, the church was established on the Day of Pentacost, about 33 AD, long before there was the Catholic Church. (See: Acts of the Apostles, chapter 2)

The church was established about 33 AD, and then it underwent a period of persecution by the Romans, which lasted for centuries.

In the forth centurry (almost three hundred years later), the Roman emperor, Constantine became a Christian and made the Christian religion the religion of the Roman State. (viz., the Edict of Milan.) At that point the Catholic Church began.

The Catholic Church continued until the mid 1500's when the priest, Martin Luther, and John Calvin initiated the Reformation Movement, by advocating a return to the teachings of the Scripture. At this point the Protestant church split from the existing church, in an attempt to return to the teachings of the Scripture (Christ and his Apostles).

I encourage you to read your church history and not to allow your zeal to prompt you to say things which are not supported by religious or secular history.

March 22, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • PRISM1234

P.S. It would be helpful if posters would put the name of the person they're addressing.... 🙂

March 22, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • Gene Church

Barry,

I would suggest that you learn your history as well. That Church, in 33 A.D., was the Catholic Church. Constantine had nothing to do with it. The term Catholic was used to describe it in its first century. It didn't "end" in the 15th century either.

March 22, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • CatholicMom

PRISM1234,

You said, ‘AND THEN YOU SAY THIS IS THE TRUE CHURCH BEING LED AND PROTECTED BY CHRIST?’

But I tell you, I am only repeating what the Bible tells us…so those words are not mine but Jesus Christ’s.

Jesus Christ is talking to the Apostles here:
      John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever.
      John 14:26 But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring all things to your mind, whatsoever I shall have said to you.’
      John 15:16 But when the Paraclete cometh, whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceedeth from the Father, he shall give testimony of me.
      John 16:7 But I tell you the truth: it is expedient to you that I go: for if I go not, the Paraclete will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

Do you know the reason He was sending the Paraclete [Holy Spirit]? John 14:26 tells you why. The Paraclete will ‘teach’ the Apostles ‘all things’ and ‘bring all things’ to their minds whatsoever He had said to them. John 16:12 ‘I have yet many things to say to you: but you cannot bear them now’. Also, John 14:30 ‘I will not now speak many things with you. For the prince of this world cometh, and in me he hath not any thing.’

Jesus Christ promised the Paraclete to bring the Church into the fullness of Truth. Many of those Truths we have learned from the Church, you have heard them…Trinity…Incarnation…Bible… Transubstantiation… and many others… these are Catholic words [Truths] taught to us by the Catholic Church….do you believe in any of them? Also the fullness of Truth about Mary has been given to the Church. The Bible says that all will call her blessed …..do you?

The Catholic Church is Jesus Christ’s Kingdom on earth…this is why it is so hated by the world. John 14:17 'The spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, nor knoweth him: but you shall know him; because he shall abide with you, and shall be in you'. You see, the Holy Spirit was promised to them, the Apostles and the Apostle’s Successors, and in John 14:16 the Paraclete is given so that he may abide with them forever!

Now we are talking about the House of God, His Kingdom on earth, not His mystical Body which we become a part of when we are Baptized. When Jesus Christ said He was sending the Paraclete to bring whatever He shall have said….He said it to the Apostles, not to us as He is referring to what He had already told them! He did not say that He was planning a Bible or for them to get busy and write anything. He is talking about the Truths that He will bring to mind of those things which He told them and the fullness of Truth as they could bear it.

So if the Paraclete was not promised to the Catholic Church according to you, which ecclesial community do you think the Holy Spirit is guiding and guarding if it isn’t the Catholic Church…which of the 38,000 communities is it? Can there be that many differing truths? They all can’t be the One Truth, can they?

Not everyone who calls out ‘Lord, Lord’, will be amongst the saved but those who abide in Him and Him in them. And how do you abide in Him? Adhere to His Commandments….repent and be Baptized…. receive His graces through His Sacraments….do the will of the Father. When we fail to abide in Him….[that is, when we sin and don’t repent]…we can be cut off the ‘vine’ by the Father…and will no longer be a member of His Body…so we can lose our salvation by our own doing. That is….we can walk away from the House of God….His means of showering us with graces to help us remain in Him and Him in us. We can be swayed by the world by following our own free will by listening to the wrong voices, The sin of pride tells us... I am not a sinner…I know better…this is how I interpret the Bible….I am saved because Jesus Christ died for my sin and no matter what I do I am saved…So Catholic Church…I don’t need you…I don’t care if Jesus Christ founded it or not…He is not guarding and guiding it….even if He promised to do so…because I say satan won the battle and is living in the House of God.

You said, ‘And if you seek, Jesus has promised you will find! That promise He will keep, for sure.’ If you think He didn’t keep His promise to guide and guard His own Church why do you think He will ‘for sure’ keep this promise? If you were a preacherman and you told your congregation these two opposing thoughts…would they hear it and leave to start their own ecclesial community or perhaps realize Jesus Christ kept ALL His promises and seek out His Church?

March 22, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Barry,

In case you were directing your comment at me…

Here is a little history….

Some of Martin Luther’s writings…

"This one will not hear of Baptism, and that one denies the sacrament, another puts a world between this and the last day: some teach that Christ is not God, some say this, some say that: there are as many sects and creeds as there are heads. No yokel is so rude but when he has dreams and fancies, he thinks himself inspired by the Holy Ghost and must be a prophet."
      De Wette III, 61. quoted in O'Hare, THE FACTS

It was ok for Martin Luther to think himself inspired by the Holy Ghost and must be a prophet but no one else should! Which of the ‘three voices’ dominated his mind?

"Noblemen, townsmen, peasants, all classes understand the Evangelium better than I or St. Paul; they are now wise and think themselves more learned than all the ministers."
      Walch XIV, 1360. quoted in O'Hare, Ibid, 209. ABOUT LUTHER, 208.

Martin Luther puts himself on par with St. Paul!

"We concede - as we must - that so much of what they (the Catholic Church) say is true: that the papacy has God's word and the office of the apostles, and that we have received Holy Scriptures, Baptism, the Sacrament, and the pulpit from them. What would we know of these if it were not for them?"
      Sermon on the gospel of St. John, chaps. 14 – 16 (1537), in vol. 24 of LUTHER'S WORKS,
      St. Louis, Mo.: Concordia, 1961, 304.

Martin Luther had many moments of remorse….but he hated confession! There are many people today who approach a priest who is wearing his collar and ask if they can confess to him even in an airport. This is a sign of understanding what the Bible says about confession and letting go of pride…. We must confess to a person and that the sins need to be HEARD. [James 5:16 Confess therefore your sins one to another: and pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much.] Martin Luther hated James and wanted to throw James out of the Bible!

Jesus Christ gave us the Sacrament of Reconciliation/Confession; it is in the Bible. [Matthew 18:18 'Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon the earth, shall be bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose upon the earth, shall be loosed also in heaven'.] [Matthew 16:19 'And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven'.]

It is not the priest who does the binding or loosing but Jesus Christ through the priest who stands in Persona Christi. But this is one of the powers of Authority that the Father sent Jesus Christ with and He in turn sent the Apostles out with this same Authority. When the priest says, ‘I absolve you of your sins…’ it is not the priest who absolves but Jesus Christ speaking through his priest.

March 22, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • PRISM1234

@ Catholic Mom
      Well, lady, you are stee'ped in it so deep, and have been for so long that in the shape you are, even Lord Himself, if He came to tell you about those imp'osters you look too for answers, you would turn Him away, call Him a he're'tic, and you would run to THEM for cover!
      Every Scripture you so "co'nfi'd'ently" q'uo'ted and used to prove their "auth'ority", you have mis-ap'plied!
      Also, you have not addressed the key points of the heresies I spoke about! Why not? Do
      --immaculate conception
      --graven immages
      --Mary as co-redeemer
      --Mary leading to Christ, taking place of Holy Spirit
      --Visions that impersonate Mary...
      These are just a few, and there are more. But you rather trust the long robed fr'ia'rs and man who calls himself Pope.
      Do you know that the last pope ,one who died, and whom RCC wants to pr'o'claim a "saint" ....do you know that he allowed a pa'gan priest ( I think Hare Krishna, or Hindu) to lay his hands on him, and write a sign of his cu'lt- religion on for'ehead? Do you know that he bowed down and kissed quran in front of the whole world watching it televised? Is this what the vicar of Christ does, is this to'l'er'able or even co'mmen'dable in your "apostolic" church? Do you know all this? Or do you even care? Do you know or care to know what the Holy BIble says about those things, and those who do them? I'm not making this up, search on the web, you'll find it , I've seen it on EWTN! They thought that was the bra'gg'ing point how to'ler'ant he was! WOW!
      You, see, friend, you've got lots to learn, but unless you un-stst'ick you head out of the sand, you'll never see the light! Till then, it's a wa'ste of time to talk to someone like you, and I value mine! Let's just go our own ways, shall we?!

P.S. Didn't I say that Mary was the blessed mother of our Lord?! Because that's what she was, and is...blessed among women, just like the angel said... But her'etic RCC made idol out of her, and satan is imp'ers'ona'ting her, to deceive God's litt'le lambs. And you here are fighting to protect him!...
      You, and all those who are following that false church will have a rude awakening one day, when God reveals openly who is who and what is what!

March 22, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • CatholicMom

o PRISM1234,
      Your ter-minology…'steeped in it'…is very suitable…yes, steeped like a good cup of tea…full flavored….having fullness of Truth from the Church….The most flavorful tea leaves the world over…sought by those who want the Original Brand…the Catholic Church.

Seems like you got burned by a hot cup of tea….all of a sudden you do not have time for another cup. But my teapot runneth over so will share it with other bloggers who may have read your bit-terness…your bit-terness could have left an unpleasant taste for them as well…so let me clean up the spill for you.

You don’t have to read it if it is going to cause you to burn your mouth again.

The Bible was put together by the Catholic Church. She has the correct interpretation for Bible…no one has the right to change the meaning of the Book...I try to adhere to the Church’s interpretation and would not try to change what She proclaims the Book is saying…though I am not infallible and could misquote but it would be unintentional. The Bible does tell us that Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation. It is a wonderful thing to read the Bible but when a person questions what the Bible is saying and that person goes against what the Catholic Church says the Bible is saying about those pas-sages, we know that person is using private interpretation. [This is how 38,000 different ecclesial communities formed…they use private interpretation…]

Your ‘perceptions’:

‘Immaculate con-ception’….do you honestly believe that Jesus came to us Incarnate through a vessel that is tainted? Mary proclaimed that God had done great things for her. She proclaimed that her spirit rejoices in God her Savior. God saved her from having Original Sin so her soul at her very con-ception was immaculate. Jesus could not enter an unclean tabernacle just as we cannot enter Heaven with a tainted soul. All things are possible with God. The Immaculate Con-ception of Mary is one of the fullnesses of Truth that was promised by Jesus Christ to His Church.

‘Graven images’…do you have any pictures of loved ones in your house or in your wallet? Are they graven images? Are you worshipping them when you look at them and maybe kiss their picture; do you believe they are gods? All images that we as Catholics hold dear to our hearts are not graven images. When we look upon a statue or a picture which depicts someone we love, we are not worshipping the plaster or picture but are calling to mind the person it represents; what we say or do represents what we would do and say to the person if that person was right there in front of us. The only One we worship is Jesus Christ our Lord.

‘Mary as Co-redeemer’…we honor Mary for her, ‘‘YES’ let it be done to me as you will’; she co-operated with God in bringing forth our Redeemer…She is not our Savior but by her co-operation she as-sisted so that our Redeemer could come to us, through her. She is the Mother of God!...she is the Mother of Jesus Christ who is the Son of the Father. Is God not our Father? Is not Jesus our Brother? If Jesus is our Brother…Mary is our Mother. If the Church is the Body of Christ, Mary is the Mother of the Church. You see why we honor her. If we emulate Jesus Christ we cannot go wrong…honor your Mother…Jesus Christ shows us how to do it right!

‘Mary leading to Christ, taking place of Holy Spirit’…Mary leads us to Christ…she said her soul magnifies the Lord…which brings Him closer to us and makes Him more present to us. But where did you get that she takes the place of the Holy Spirit? No one takes the place of the Holy Spirit!! Did you make that up yourself or did it come from your ecclesial community’s teachings?

‘Visions that impersonate Mary’….the Church is very clear on which visions are to be accepted as being Mary. There are always extensive invest-tigations that go on for years before any are affirmed. Again, the fullness of Truth is given to the Church on all such matters of faith as promised by the Holy Spirit.

I am glad you watch EWTN…try to have an open mind and heart when you hear things that your ecclesial community likes to proclaim as wrong or that you think are wrong because of your personal interpretation of the Bible. Should we be judging you in like manner? You are proclaiming that the Catholic Church is a false Church… don’t keep me in the dark…lead me to the True Church…I would appreciate docu-ments [historical ones] that show this Church is the True Church because I refuse to follow one founded by man. Ok, I have to recall that you don’t want to waste your time on another person’s soul…but why not reconsider…have some compass-sion….what could be more important that wrenching a soul away from satan?

March 23, 2011 at 11:27 am |
    • PRISM 1234

"Seems like you got burned by a hot cup of tea….all of a sudden you do not have time for another cup."

Listen, lady! Don't throw your shallow, frivolous words at me, as if I were one of your silly playmates in playground's sandbox, you want to spite! I'm not the type!
      I could say much more to you, but I won't! You have already shown what you rather have, so what do you want, that I would throw my words into the wind? You have the Scriptures, if you want to know, go and read! You had lots of direction given to you on this thread, but you, like a silly youngster just hum , and hum, never hear what's been told to you!...
      But , I have been and I still will PRAY FOR YOU. Only God can pull you out of that murky, shadowy dun'geon you're steeped in, and it isn't tea, woman! And I KNOW what I'm talking about! I've been there, and God took me out! I have been set free, and I give Lord the praise for it! AMEN!!!....
      Enough said!

March 23, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  12. Harrison

Bob

Not really, if you're devoted so much to God that it is your life calling, you shouldn't need earthly pleasures

Earthly pleasures? Like, Be fruitful and multiply?

While these Scriptures are not a requirement for church leaders to be married, they most definitely present an allowance for church leaders to be married. It is therefore anti-biblical for any church to require celibacy of its leaders.

The celibacy of priests has an interesting history. The first official church statements requiring celibacy appeared at the councils of Elvira (A.D. 306) and Carthage (A.D. 390), although clerical celibacy, to a lesser degree, definitely predated these councils. Ultimately, though, celibacy became the official requirement of the Roman Catholic Church due to the practice of nepotism. Church leaders were giving their children positions in the church, despite a lack of any qualifications or training. Further, church leaders were giving church property to their descendants. As a result, the Roman Catholic Church mandated celibacy in order to keep its priests from having famil-ial attachments which made nepotism attractive.

Again, the Bible encourages, but does not demand celibacy. In fact, Paul recognizes that most church leader will be married. The Roman Catholic requirement of celibacy is a sad example of the Church taking something that the Bible encourages, and transforming it into a requirement, in order to protect its own interests. Sadder, still, is the damage that has been done as a result of the Roman Catholic Church’s anti-biblical requirement. Men whom God has not gifted or called to be celibate (1 Corinthians 7:7), are being required to be celibate, and the result is tremendous failures in the areas of adultery, fornication, and the se=xual abuse of children.

March 22, 2011 at 8:06 am |
  13. Harrison

March 22, 2011 at 7:56 am |
  14. READTHIS

Its sooooo funny that someone would let an organization dictate to them if they could or could not marry....cmon, follow your own heart.....if you love a woman marry her and live your life....enjoy your life, don't let some silly rule deny you of a lifetime of happiness...be yourself

March 22, 2011 at 12:03 am |
  15. Reality

Knowing the following, why would anyone want to be a priest, married or not or any other type of religious "leader"?

Recognizing the flaws, follies and frauds in the foundations of Islam, Judaism and Christianity by the "bowers", kneelers" and "pew peasants" will converge these religions into some simple rules of life. No koran, bible, clerics, nuns, monks, imams, evangelicals, ayatollahs, rabbis, professors of religion or priests needed or desired.

Ditto for houses of "worthless worship" aka mosques, churches, basilicas, cathedrals, temples and synagogues.

March 21, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  16. Jeff

Priests were allowed to marry before the tenth century. St. Peter was married and had kids. His mother-in-law is mentioned in the bible. Eastern Orthodox priest are allowed to marry before ordination.

March 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  17. T.O.

I always thought it was because if a priest dies (basically inevitable), the church would have to take care of the priest's surviving family, which would be really expensive!

I also wish religion was taxed. I mountain bike religiously, and I pay tax on everything.

March 21, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • PostGrad

The practice actually began in the prior to the Medieval period to curtail glutinous and lascivious behaviors by parish priests. A great example of why this rule was put into place are the Medici popes, specifically Alexander VI.

March 23, 2011 at 11:38 am |
  18. itsjustme

There is no proof that Jesus was not married.

Likely that he was. You attained maturity, learned a trade and then you were married off not soon after learning a trade.

Marriage was more or less a given. There were no single and never married males that were Jesus' age.

And I also believe that there were several kids in Jesus' family - remember, Joseph was a widower and it is very likely he had one or more kids from his prior marriage.

March 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • itsjustme

Whoops, that should be you were married off not long after you learned your trade.

March 21, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • Rogert

it's also likely that he didn't perform any miracles and was just some dude.

so why do you even care.

March 21, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  19. gagi

The bible never said that priests couldn't marry. That was man's law. It's about time the Catholic church allowed marriage. It reminds me of Joseph Smith of the Latter Day Saints. He touted plural marriage until the government threatened to take away his tax exempt status. His new revelation of monogamy was such a miracle.

March 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Patty

I agree with you...Celibacy in the Priesthood was man-made...Just like Joseph Smith and his Book of Mormon and polygamy issues...And the Jehovah Witnesses with their Watchtower Bible that states that "There is no Hell, only unending sleep" (Not sure where they got that one from)...If all of these "organized religions" would read the KJV version of the bible and stop adding things to it, or better yet, creating their 'Own Bible" so that they can keep their followers in the dark, we wouldn't have so many people not knowing what the Word of God really is...I stopped attending "organized churches" and reading the bible on my own for this very reason...I do not want to know what all of these "different faiths" think the Bible says, as most of these religions preach in support of their own agenda..I have attended some sermons where I had to go home and look in my bible to see where they even came up with some of the stuff that was being taught..Since I was unable to find it in the Bible, it just left me more confused and disgusted with what was being taught...Jesus says we should read the Bible on our own in order to know and understand the truth and that is what I have been doing for the last year ..The book of Revelation 22:18-19 states: I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll. I would rather follow the word of God in the Bible than most "organized churches" view...I for one really want to go to Heaven when it is my time, so I will read the bible on my own as the Lord says and put my faith in HIM, GOD and the HOLY SPIRIT to get me there....

March 22, 2011 at 6:55 am |
    • CatholicMom

Patty,
      Where does it say in the Bible…..
      Doesn’t it say we are to HEAR the Word of God? ….and hear it from someone SENT?

March 22, 2011 at 11:00 am |
    • TracyR

Patty, I know this will be buried in the stack of responses, but read in your own KJV Bible at Ezekiel 18:4 and Ecclesiastes 9:5 "For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing." What about the Lord's own words at Matthew 5:28,29, which call to mind Lazarus, who was dead and returned to life. He didn't return from heaven, otherwise he would have been disappointed. It's in your own Bible. You read your own Bible, and well you should, judge what you believe from what it says.

March 24, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
    • TracyR

Gagi, the Bible said not to forbid to marry as well. 1 Timothy Chapter 4 (KJV) [1] Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
      [2] Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
      [3] Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
      As well, the Bible shows that the apostle Peter was married. Matthew 8:14 (KJV) [14] And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid, and sick of a fever.

March 24, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  20. Joe

The reality is that as much as the Church wants everyone to believe its tenets/dogma/tradition, etc., are unchanging – they are constantly making c-ra-p up to suit their needs.

March 21, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • Leslie

I'm not sure I'd phrase it quite like that, but essentially, you're right. It ticks me off no end that they carry on with this "no married priests" policy, yet this is far from the first man to become a Catholic priest this way. I only clicked on the headline to see if something new was happening. No, they've been doing this for years, just trying to keep it under the radar. So when can we expect the ordination of women???

March 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Rogert

@Leslie, more to the point, when can we expect the whole charade to end.

March 21, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
    • Lee

Clerical celibacy is not nor has it ever been an "unchanging dogma" of the Church, and the Church hardly pretends it is. Priestly celibacy is, instead, required by Canon Law in Latin Rite Catholicism and has been common practice in the Western Church for the last 1000 years or so. It is simply a "standard" or "rule" to which the Church wishes to hold its priests, and the Church is free to adapt the rule as it best sees fit. You might disagree with this practice, but the "making up c-ra-p" comment more properly applies to your post and not to this particular tradition.

March 21, 2011 at 10:38 pm |