home
RSS
Poll: Few Americans believe natural disasters are signs from God
March 24th, 2011

Poll: Few Americans believe natural disasters are signs from God

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

A new survey conducted on the heels of Japan's devastating earthquake and tsunami finds that few Americans think natural disasters are signs from God and that even fewer believe God punishes nations for the sins of its citizens, as some suggested after the Japanese disaster.

At the same time, most Americans believe God is responsible for everything that happens in the world, according to the survey, which was released Thursday.

The survey was conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute in partnership with the Religion News Service.

Fewer than 4 in 10 Americans (38%) believe that earthquakes, floods and other natural disasters are a sign from God, while roughly 3 in 10 believe that God sometimes punishes nations for the sins of some citizens, according to the survey.

Shortly after the Japanese quake and tsunami, the governor of Tokyo said publicly that the disaster was divine punishment for Japanese egoism, though he apologized for the remarks a day later.

A majority of people who self-identified as white evangelical Christians bucked the consensus against God punishing nations for the sins of its citizens, with 53% saying they believed that to be true.

Even more white evangelicals, 59%, believe that natural disasters are a sign from God, while only about one-third of Catholics and white mainline Protestants share that view.

Two thirds of white evangelicals also believe that natural disasters are evidence of the "end times," according to the survey.

The survey was conducted by telephone with 1,008 adults in the continental United States between March 17-20 as news was pouring in from the hardest-hit areas in Japan.

The margin of error for the survey is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Read how prominent voices with different views on religion make sense of the suffering in Japan

Fifty-six percent of all respondents said they believe God is in control of everything that happens in the world, according to the poll.

And 7 in 10 Americans believe God is a person with whom a person can have a relationship, according to the poll.

But most Americans, 58%, said they attributed the increased severity of natural disasters to global warming, while 44% said they attribute it to what the Bible sometimes refers to as the “end times.”

The respondents tended to split along party lines - 52% of Republicans said the increased severity could be attributed to "end times” prophesies, while 75% of Democrats said it was the result of global warming.

“These kind of questions about God being in control and there simultaneously being suffering are the kind of things that keep seminarians up at night. They’re thorny theological issues. We wanted to see if we could get at it with polling to see what Americans think,” pollster Robert P. Jones, CEO of the Public Religion Research Institute, told CNN.

“We asked people how many were following what was going on in Japan, and nine out of 10 said they had heard a lot. This is something very clearly on the minds of Americans as they answered this poll.”

Jones said that where respondents worship played a big role in how they answered the questions.

“One thing that may be underlying this is how one approaches the Bible. Evangelical white Protestants are much more likely to take a literal approach to the Bible. In the Bible, natural disasters are used as a sign or as a punishment from God. Mainline Protestants and Catholics have a much less literal view of the bible,” Jones said.

Regardless of which pew American Christians find themselves in during the weekend, their beliefs about God’s role in matters like this are something Jones says brings a lot of debate.

Ryan Coyne, a philosopher of religion at the University of Chicago Divinity School, said, “What’s interesting is the disparity ... [between] the belief that God or the divine controls actions in the world and the reluctance on the part of some to attribute some acts in the world as punishing acts.

“There’s a reluctance to think of God as a punishing god. One must look for other explanations for evil in general if one is reluctant to attribute natural disasters to the divine,” Coyne said.

“Just by virtue of calling it a ‘natural disaster’ we’re asking is this ... outside of the reach of the divine,” Coyne said. “Five hundred to 600 years ago, there wouldn’t be the assumption necessarily ... [that] something like this was not directed by divine will.”

Regardless of the cause of natural disasters, the survey found that an overwhelming number of respondents - 83% - said it was very important or somewhat important to give financial assistance to Japan despite economic troubles in the United States.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Catholic Church • Christianity • Church • Culture & Science • Protestant • United States

1. Jeanine

PwE/Proveit - I am NOT requiring physical proof of a spiritual being!

Whatever sort of proof you think you can dish up, let's have it! Just bear in mind that it must be incontrovertible. That's all.

As for your silly questions, I will give you silly answers:

My heart does not have compassion, for it is an organ that pumps blood and not emotion.
    My fingernails do not have avarice, for avarice is of the mind.
    Beauty is a perceptual concept that can only be lessened within the mind. It has nothing to do with my hair.

If you think you were making some sort of clever point with your silly questions, let me disabuse you of that notion. All you did was appear snarky to me. I don't know what other people think of you, but I am not enamored of bad logic in any form.

Let me remind you that any so-called proof you dig up must be incontrovertible. It can be spiritual, physical, or whatever, but it MUST be incontrovertible. That is an absolute requirement.

Pardon me if I don't hold my breath waiting for the proof that never comes. I have never met a single person who could provide such proof or point me in the correct direction where I might find it on my own. I can only conclude that it does not exist. But perhaps you are a shining example to the world and you have the first proof of your god in the history of humanity.
    If so, then why not share it with us? We'd all like a bit of certainty in this uncertain universe.
    Hmmm?

March 24, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
    • Sadface

Proof is all around you. Believing that the amazing things we see around us in nature is appeared by sheer chance is just sad. Scientists and inventors study the things found in nature (animal/insect and plant life) to devise ways to make current technologies better or come up with a new technology. If an intelligent being creates something based off something the natural world, how can one say that the natural world was has no creator or designer?

You have the proof staring you straight in the face, however, you look for other answers to why and how because you refuse to believe in a "simple" answer. Just like in everyday life, the simple answer/explanation is often if not always the best!

2 Thessalonians 3:2 sums it up pretty well by saying "faith is not a possession of all people." No one will ever be able to provide you with enough proof if you refuse to believe what you see.

March 24, 2011 at 9:52 pm |
    • Pathos with Ethos

Jeanine said, " I am saying you do not provide any proof WHATSOEVER! And that includes spiritual proof of your non-existent "spiritual being"........Just bear in mind that it must be incontrovertible."

Ok, just what would be incontrovertible spiritual proof?

March 24, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
    • Q

@Sadface – Apophenia is not "proof".

March 24, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
    • Jeanine

Pathos –
      And here I thought you were clever.
      Are you seriously asking me what incontrovertible spiritual proof of YOUR "god" would be? Seriously?

Okay, how about YOU or someone you know simply pray that this proof be given to me.
      I hope that's not too complicated for you. You make many fantastic claims about the abilities of your "god".
      Now's the time to put up or shut up.

As to the details, I will not say, for that would create the possibility of fraudulent efforts being introduced to the experiment at hand. If you cannot understand this, then you are just another religious troll with an empty head.

You might be able to think of a few other ways in which incontrovertible "spiritual" proof might be given.

Or you might not be able to figure that out either. I really don't know how badly you've been indoctrinated to say for sure.

And if your "god" exists, then why couldn't you get me that proof? Unless you can't for some reason.
      Maybe you cannot pray effectively and you need to start up some "prayer chain" or something. Whatever!
      But without proof, anything you say can be dismissed out of hand and used against you in a court of Jeanine's Law.
      You have the right to remain silent, but if you remain silent, I will have won the argument. 😛

March 25, 2011 at 12:33 am |
    • Jeanine

Sadface – Sorry, but "intelligent design" has been debunked in hundreds, if not thousands, of different ways. 😦

March 25, 2011 at 1:21 am |
    • Ethos with pathos

"As to the details, I will not say..."

Then you are a fool, a child, a pseudo-intellectual that is pretending to actually want knowledge but in reality all you want is your own ego to feel good.

I have asked for you to define what is incontrovertible spiritual proof and you can't. I am sorry you are unable to and choose to dodge the question.

Would prayer prove God to you? I doubt it would so why bring it up? If you won the lottery you would say it was chance and not God. A bolt of lightning could hit you and you would say it was chance. Again, it is up to you to tell us what the criteria for incontrovertible spiritual proof is. I am sorry you spoke on things you do not understand but it's cute that you tried.

March 25, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • Jeanine

PwE – An ad hominem attack? That shows me you have failed your side of the argument and feel you must attack me personally to distract from the fact that you have nothing to support your argument.

I am not dodging the question. Perhaps you are misunderstanding what I was saying.

Let's put it this way: You have a god with certain attributes. If you are able to list these attributes (given by your bible I suppose), then you should be able to determine what sort of spiritual proofs would be available to you.
      Still with me? Nah, probably not. You don't seem to think very clearly for all your cleverness....

Remember, this is YOUR god, not mine!
      You say your god can do this and that and has these powers and strengths and is always thus and so....

...then the answer is simple and depends on YOU the "believer" to acknowledge that your god is not only spiritual, but spiritual in certain ways...according to YOUR beliefs.

Get it yet? Your god is supposedly all-knowing, yet you cannot see that this means that ..I.. am not the one to come up with the details you are whining about. YOUR GOD should already know what they are!
      You could even do something like pray for proof to be given me, and I will do my best to discern the truth of the matter, so it might indeed prove God to me.

But you are just dancing away from having to admit that you don't have any spiritual proof of your god because there is no such god. Your attributes for this god of yours are illogical, nonsensical, and impossible.

Am I wrong?
      List the attributes so we can rule things in or out depending on the attributes while using reason and logic to determine and discern the truth of your so-called god. Should be easy for a clever fella like yourself, shouldn't it?

And I also get the impression that you do not understand rules of evidence or the very meaning of "incontrovertible".
      There are logical steps one must take to discern the truth of anything.
      You, I guess, don't understand logic all that well.

Surely there is some sort of "spiritual" proof you could provide that is not fake-able? Something real and true?
      The reason I cannot give details is because you might list your god's attributes in a way I have no knowledge of and therefore could not say what your god is or how your god is supposed to work.
      That's why I keep harping on the fact that it is YOUR GOD and not mine and that I have no idea what you think of your god.
      So how could I know what proof to ask for if I don't know what your god is in the first place?

See how many mistakes you are making here? You are forgetting that this is YOUR GOD we are talking about!!!!

Anyway, I am here responding and not "dodging the question" and doing my best to discuss this with a minimum of scorn for your snide ad hominem attacks.

Why don't you show me you are not a child by facing my logic? Or are you all the things you were calling me?
      You are the one with the god that cannot be proven to exist, after all.

March 25, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • Ethos with pathos

@Jeanine- HAHAHA, What argument you silly piece of flotsam? You were the one begging the question. Oh my gosh you are funny. You can't come on here and whine to us to prove God to you and then cheer when we don't dance to your silly little tune.

Your first, well not first but you won't accept the truth, mistake is that I am not a literalist. So bringing up the Bible does you little good. Understand? Probably not.

"You say your god can do this and that and has these powers and strengths and is always thus and so..."

Actually, I never said anything of the sort. Again, you are begging the question. You porr silly little thing.

"having to admit that you don't have any spiritual proof "

No, I have spiritual proof, but you have to tell me what spiritual proof would work for you. You are asking me to do something I never initiated into giving. What you want me to do is tell you why I believe in God (give my proof). And as the pseudo-intellectual that you are, you will just come up with something to shoot it down. Probably using some lame opinion wrapped in something scientific that has nothing to do with it. Am I right? I bet I am.

"Something real and true?"

Interesting, if this something real and true based on what I call real and true or on what you call real and true? Come on hun, be brave and show your ego and be truthful. Tell me it can't be based on what I consider real and true but what you do.

I have faced your elementary logic and found it lacking. You wish for me to offer up a type of proof without defining what proof you require. It's even more funny because you want this proof to some kind of statement I never made.

You need to get your act together hun.

March 25, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Jeanine

Peewee, you are just digging yourself deeper and proving to anyone who reads these posts that you have nothing but hot air.

I am merely asking that you prove your god exists before I will debate any points predicated upon your god's existence.
      If this is too complicated for you, (for example you might need to look up the word "predicated") then when you are ready to play with the adults instead of begging on your knees before your god, then feel free to try your hand at real debate with people who do not share your blindness.

If you want to reach some sort of middle ground where we can come to some sort of consensus and maybe even prove the existence of your god in the process, let me know. Otherwise I will just assume there is no middle ground between "faith" and "reality" or "delusion" and "sanity".

You avoid having to define your god in any way? Then there is no need to keep up with me. I will move on.
      Bye peewee.

March 25, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • Ethos with pathos

Why are you wanting to debate something no one is talking about?

You are so cute, "begging on my knees". Thta just shows you know very very little about my faith. Keep the assumptions coming my dear, they make you look like such a funny clown 🙂

I simply asked for you to give me some criteria but you can't. If you wish to run away you may. I did not ask for anything too hard of you did I?

It amazes me that ppl like you who are begging the question get all huffy when we don't play your silly game and ask you a reasonable question. Plz Jeannie...go wish yourself an opponent that is closer to your 20 something (or younger) mentality. You obviously are not ready for the big leagues. Night 😉

March 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
    • Jeanine

Peewee, I'm not begging the question (and you are misusing the phrase anyway), so why don't you prove your god exists?

Because you can't and you obviously know it.

You giggle that I know "very very little" about your faith like a little kid giggling that you have a secret.

Okay, kid, why don't you tell me about your faith? That is why I keep telling you that you need to define your god. You cannot prove the existence of whatever sort of god you have if you cannot even define the attributes of your god, your faith, or even your "rational facts" of your own religious experiences.

You keep giggling and pouting but you never cough up that hairball. Why don't you try and produce something instead of giggling and pouting and making snotty remarks?
      My grandchildren would laugh at your characterization of my posts. Hell, even I laugh at your lame attempts at trolling.

You want criteria, yet you will not provide any basis for that criteria. That is what I keep trying to point out to you.

Btw, your god cannot have human feelings and be perfect, all-knowing, all-powerful, all-seeing, etc. Your rabbi is a fool.

Whether you wobble like a candle-flame or hang from the rafters na-ked when worshiping your god, your refusal to provide any basis upon which to argue appears to show that you have no basis or are unreasonably reluctant to face my posts.

Bye, peewee.

March 25, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
    • Ethos with pathos

So predictable, you came back.

Nah, I am using in a manner that is correct enough. But are you denying that you are asking for answers to a declaration no one made. Did anyone say on here that, "I have scientific proof God exists?" No, no one did but you love to pretend that someone did.

Sorry about laughing at you, I forgot how thin your skin is.

First, you need to tell me why you want to know about my faith. It's a personal thing and I don't know if you are worthy to have this discussion with.

There you go again. Did ANYONE say that the Rabbi said God has human emotions? No dear little one, no one did. My gosh do you always guess so much about stuff you don't begin to understand?

I am not the one that dictated the basis for the criteria. You did by talking about spiritual proof that cannot be questioned. When I asked for the specifics on what that could be, you ran away and started whining. Don't get mad at the player when I play the game better than you.

Good night.

March 25, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
    • Jeanine

I came here looking for proof that a god exists, preferably the sort of god with whom one could interact.
      I have not encountered any proof from anyone, nor have I ever encountered anyone willing to speak maturely about it.

You accused me of wanting physical proof of a spiritual being, and I tried to correct you on this.
      I am willing to accept ANY sort of proof, spiritual or otherwise, of any god's existence as long as it is unfalsifiable proof.

That is so simple, even a caveman would understand it.

You think me unworthy, fine. Maybe I am according to your internal prejudices. It wouldn't be the first time, would it?

Your Rabbi Heschel has a Wikipedia page devoted to his "greatness", that is where he is said to have made the point of "God" having human feelings. If this is incorrect, perhaps you should do something about this misinformation on his Wiki page....

You want specifics and I give them to you. You don't see them as specifics and only spout close-minded words back at me.
      I guess you must be blinded by your "faith" and unable to discuss things intelligently.
      Or you could prove me wrong by cleaning up your act and speaking like someone who is worthy of being spoken to.

Here's some more specifics: In seeking "spiritual" proof, one must also describe what one means by "spiritual".
      I am not necessarily looking for proof that cannot be questioned, for anything can be questioned.
      It is the inability of most "believers" to question their own precepts that is most often the stumbling block upon which "believers" stumble.
      If something can hold up under questioning, then it becomes pretty good proof, doesn't it?
      I used to feel that way when I was a believer, so I can at least understand how it feels. It used to make me pretty angry when people questioned my faith or level of faith.
      So if you don't feel comfortable with sharing, that's okay. Just don't expect much beyond a "get well soon" card, okay?

March 25, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
    • Atheism is the only truth

PathosEthos: What is your proof god exists?

March 26, 2011 at 3:06 am |
    • Lycidas

@Jeanine- I have accused you of wanting physical and/or spiritual proof. Pay attention.

"as long as it is unfalsifiable proof."

See, there is your backdoor. You could just easily say I am lying or experienced something wrong. In fact, I would guarantee that is what you would do after a fashion. The truth is that there is nothing that I could say or that could happen to you that would make you believe in God is there? Tell the truth.

Actually, there is not page dedicated to his greatness. You are lying again. He is noteworthy for many things and that is why there is a wiki page for him. You sound jealous, maybe when you ever do something noteworthy you can have your own page.

"Can your belief hold up under questioning? Or are you a "believer" that looks upon questioning as being insulting?"

Of course it can and it has, it has held up under my questioning. That is why it's MY belief. No, questioning is never insulting, but the intent of the questioning would be. Have you already decided that any questions you could ask would be against anything I would say about God? If so, your intent is insulting because it's not honest.

March 27, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
  2. T-party

natural disasters of all kinds happen all the time and always did. In fact millions of years ago volcanoes and earthquakes were more prevalent. Study fossils,vault lines,erosion escarpments,continental drift. ....Science explains disasters not religion

March 24, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
  3. srvsatch

38% is smaller than I thought it would be, but still far too large

March 24, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
  4. Paul M

And what is ever more disturbing is that 56% think that "god" is in control....

March 24, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
  5. Paul M

Normally I would say that this was a good thing except for the fact that 40% still think that "god" has some hand in these occurrences...

March 24, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
  6. Dan

This truly scares the crap out of me. Here we are in the 21st century and the US is so ass backwards in its thinking. Knowing this many people believe that natural disasters are God giving us a sign. If that were true, he's the slowest sign giver in the history of the world. We've been having natural disasters since time was recorded. And then to top it off is how many people believe God is responsible for everything that happens in the world. If that were true, lets all rob banks because God wanted this to happen. Let's all kill each other, cause God wanted it to happen (oh wait, we are doing that with these silly wars we've started in Afghanistan, Iraq, and now Libya. I don't know if God exists, and not so arrogant to dismiss the possibility, but one thing I am damn sure about - he does not speak his gospel through hating, ignorant and hypocritical evangelist ministers who care more about making money than helping people.

March 24, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
    • Sadface

You hit the nail on the head with the last part of your comment. Sadly so many people believe that hate is the correct way to spread their religion.

March 24, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
  7. Leonid Brezhnev

Ignorance abounds. It is amazing how many sheep believe that there is some mythical being watching over us and punishing us for alleged misdeeds. What a crock of poop. Get a life, sheeple.

March 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
  8. Rob C

You should all watch this
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD0WbP0Q0Oc&w=640&h=360]

March 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
  9. bobby

Yeah, but a lot of idiots blamed the earthquake on Pearl Harbor.

March 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
    • Rob C

That dumb, an earthquake created pearl harbor

March 24, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
  10. josh p

Isnt 380 out of 1008 ppl more than a few, CNN? They love being controversial. Kinda like God enjoys it. Im sure these 365 comments are just the beginning for CNN, as a host. Imagine how many ppl debated questions of theology since the Dawn of Man!!! Yep its hard to accept there is a mind at work more powerful than your own, but there isnt a hotter topic. Its sites like these that I love to browse all your comments. I cant help but determine who has seen the Light and who is still lost in the dark (and likely too proud to admit it! Though I beg you to reconsider! Just ask Jesus to come into heart!) God loves being controversial, wouldnt you? As far as an answer to your question CNN, it is my personal opinion: "When tragedy strikes and your left Alive, take a hard look at the state of your own Life because your Soul will be most transparent then! For this reason, those who have perished will not have done so in vain." Feel free to make fun of me now all you Godhaters, thats all your summing up to me anyway!!!

March 24, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
  11. grist

It is very scary that 44% of Americans think an increase in NATURAL disasters signals the "end-times". What is wrong with our educational system? Apparently we do not teach critical thinking.

March 24, 2011 at 9:17 pm |
  12. D. Hurley

Once people get over the fact that there is NO GOD there may actually be some hope for the human race.
    Till then, the ancestral systematic, generational, dogmatic brainwashing will continue.

March 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
  13. Rob C

I just figured out why I am being sensored, Pat Robertson works for CNN

March 24, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
  14. JPX

I'll be happier when we get to the point where few people believe that there is a magical deity in the sky.

March 24, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
    • Rob C

I can't believe Pat Robertson let your post get through sensorship.

March 24, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
    • Helpful Henry

Rob C,

(Courtesy of poster @Reality)

CNN posting tips for new visitors – GNU public license – feel free to copy for your very own
      bad letter combinations / words to avoid if you want to get past the CNN "awaiting moderation" filter:
      Many, if not most, are buried within other words, but I am not shooting for the perfect list, so use your imagination.
      You can use dashes, spaces, or other characters to modify the "offending" letter combinations.
      ----–
      ar-se.....as in Car-se, etc.
      ba-stard
      co-ck.....as in co-ckatiel, co-ckatrice, co-ckleshell, co-ckles, lubco-ck, etc.
      co-on.....as in rac-oon, coc-oon, etc.
      cu-m......as in doc-ument, accu-mulate, circu-mnavigate, circu-mstances, cu-mbersome, cuc-umber, etc.
      cu-nt.....as in Scu-ntthorpe, a city in the UK famous for having problems with filters...!
      do-uche
      ef-fing...as in ef-fing filter
      ft-w......as in soft-ware, delft-ware, swift-water, etc.
      fu-ck......!
      ho-mo.....as in ho-mo sapiens or ho-mose-xual, ho-mogenous, etc.
      ho-rny....as in tho-rny, etc.
      jacka-ss...yet "ass" is allowed by itself.....
      ja-p......as in j-apanese, ja-pan, j-ape, etc.
      ji-sm
      koo-ch....as in koo-chie koo..!
      nip-ple
      pi-s......as in pi-stol, lapi-s, pi-ssed, therapi-st, etc.
      pr-ick....as in pri-ckling, pri-ckles, etc.
      ra-pe.....as in scra-pe, tra-peze, gr-ape, thera-peutic, sara-pe, etc.
      se-x......as in Ess-ex, s-exual, etc.
      sh-it
      sl-ut
      sn-atch
      sp-ic.....as in disp-icable, hosp-ice, consp-icuous, susp-icious, sp-icule, sp-ice, etc.
      ti-t......as in const-itution, att-itude, ent-ities, alt-itude, beat-itude, etc.
      tw-at.....as in wristw-atch, nightw-atchman, etc.
      va-g......as in extrava-gant, va-gina, va-grant, va-gue, sava-ge, etc.
      who-re....as in who're you kidding / don't forget to put in that apostrophe!
      wt-f....also!!!!!!!
      There are more, some of them considered "racist", so do not assume that this list is complete.

March 24, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  15. joe

I can't wait until the headline that NOBODY believes disasters are caused by god. Die religion... die.

March 24, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
    • Atheism is the only truth

no kidding. I'm glad the number of agnostics, non theists, and atheists, is growing. Eventually religion will die. I can't wait.

March 26, 2011 at 3:02 am |
  16. Tran Minh

The mind is tricky. If you believe too much, repeat too many times, imagine too deep, day dreaming several times etc..., you will directly see the unreal subject as real. Same as GOD, there are no real GOD at all, but believe too much will change your mind into reality. Also, interpretation of everything into GOD related causes your thinking trapped with the restriction of GOD border, and so you can think anything beyond GOD level. Also, you are bound with a book considered as holy something with words without exit out to the freedom world. When we study math, there is interger, real, rational and irrational number, but it seems that most people accept only integer is the only number. There is circle, rectangle, square, triangle, but most people think straight line as the only thing in math is true. Even straight line does not have beginning and end. Mind of people works with directed segment of line, but when dealing with approaching limit or infinitive a lot of people do not see it as the facts.

March 24, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
    • steve

You just blew my mind! Do I need a pencil to figure this on out?

March 24, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
    • Halleluljah

1 more line.......and he's back

March 24, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
    • Rob C

Here let me try:
      God, God, God God, God God, God, God God, GodGod, God, God God, GodGod, God, God God, GodGod, God, God God, GodGod, God, God God, GodGod, God, God God, GodGod, God, God God, GodGod, God, God God, GodGod, God, God God, GodGod, God, God God, GodGod, God, God God, GodGod, God, God God, GodGod, God, God God, God,

Yup I believe, how bout the rest of you guys?

March 24, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
    • 3rdMLNM

please, see these solid MATHEMATICAL FACTS first,
      and then thus see and understand that there is only one REAL GOD,
      who has thus created His Universe and His Word in the language of ULTIMATE MATHEMATICS,
      (based on number "19," and the related Fibonacci Sequence, and the Golden Ratio everywhere, even within those Tsunami Waves now!)
      right here now:

March 24, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
    • AsayaYeahyas

I bet you were thinking so fast your fingers could barely keep up typing.

March 24, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
    • Atheism is the only truth

Probably a Keylogger, I wouldn't go to the link.

March 26, 2011 at 3:00 am |
  17. jo an

I think we realize that we are 'not the boss'....Mother Nature is a living organism and what she wants she gets. We'll never destroy the earth...We may be horrible stewards and she will 'kick' us out....She will be just fine....

March 24, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • Halleluljah

well said

March 24, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
  18. David G.

God didn't send the tsunami because God isn't real.

March 24, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
    • Halleluljah

And your not really made up out of dust.

March 24, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
    • Victor

Zeus did so!

March 24, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
    • Rob C

Halleluljah
      We'll this dust writting this post really likes beer.

March 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • Easy

March 24, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
    • Halleluljah

For an electrically charged sack of dust I do too.

March 24, 2011 at 9:35 pm |
    • Atheism is the only truth

"Its is a million times easier to believe there is a God than to believe what you do....let's see – micro size something burns so hot it explodes and the universe is formed! And it is still forming...amazing! I challenge you to hold a coke bottle in your hand for millions of years and see if it turns into a pepsi bottle...cause that would be a lot easier!"

It's a theory. Just because it's too much for your little primitive brain to understand, doesn't mean you must associate something supernatural with it to explain it, that in itself, is ignorant.

March 26, 2011 at 2:59 am |
  19. pothead

The photo above! Hey, the guy on the right has a "tight fist". He appears to be telling the others to pray. The guy on the right says, "enough" I want to go to Disneyland!

CNN doesn't put captions on cool photos because they know we will write one for them.

March 24, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
    • mantaec

You blew it Pothead! You're stoned again. It is the guy on the left that has the "tight fist" and the guy on the right that says, "oh my god"

March 24, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • pothead

@mantaec...hey if there was a god he would have corrected me...not you! But thanks, back to the potbowl...

March 24, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  20. becca

Yes, God doesn't send disasters on us. Evil things happen because we live in an evil world. We should be glad and thankful when good things do happen with all the evilness around! Even better, when evil things happen such as natural disasters, God can work good despite them. Every good and perfect gift is from God.

March 24, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • steve

I'm sure some people are praying to their god for you to rise out of your "semi-coma" state of mind.

March 24, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
    • Rob C

"Evil things happen because we live in an evil world" Noo sweetheart its not an "EVIL WORLD" its just cause these things happen on all "worlds" lots of crazy stuff in nature.

March 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
    • Halleluljah

Life is a gift.

March 24, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
    • Halleluljah

tough croud

March 24, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
    • Halleluljah

wd 🙂

March 24, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
    • FatSean

The world is not evil becca, it just is. I suspect you are evil, however.

March 24, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
    • Pathos with Ethos

Interesting, how do you define "evil" scientifically? After you do, plz apply that defintion to becca. I doubt whatever you come up with will work.

March 24, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • Atheism is the only truth

So god only does good things to us, others say god does everything. If god doesn't cause/create/manipulate disasters, is it satan? So are you saying mother nature, is the devil? lol

March 26, 2011 at 2:58 am |
    • Lycidas

If one is a literalist, then God created the good and formed the evil.

March 27, 2011 at 9:15 pm |