home
RSS
March 25th, 2011

Christian to Muslim: A change of faith

Editor’s Note: "Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door" features the Muslim community of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, where Matthew Miller has lived since age 15. CNN’s Soledad O’Brien chronicles the dramatic fight over the construction of a mosque in the heart of the Bible belt. “Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door” airing at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. E.T. April 2 on CNN.

By Elizabeth M. Nunez, CNN

The actual conversion was brief. It only involved one sentence: “I bear witness that there is no God worthy of worship but God, I bear witness that Mohammed is the messenger of God.”

For 30-year-old Mathew Miller, those words represented the culmination of a long religious transformation from Christianity to Islam.

Miller is a digital media communications major at Middle Tennessee University and works part-time at a golf course. He was raised Christian in California, surfing and dreaming of being a radio DJ.

“My first interaction with Islam was this movie called ‘Not Without my Daughter’. That was my first glimpse into what Western society believed was really going on in Islam,” he said.

"Not Without My Daughter" is a 1991 film in which Sally Field portrays an America woman who flees from Iran with her daughter. The movie, based on true story detailed in a book by the same title, was faulted by critics for portraying a stereotypical view of Iranians and Islam.

But in questioning his own beliefs, and after a conversation with a Muslim friend, Miller’s interest in Islam was piqued.

“I think for the most part I was afraid, don’t really know of what,” he said.

Later, attending Friday prayers at a small Mosque in Murfreesboro, he began to learn more.

“When I put my head on the ground with them, it felt like I could say anything to God, and what I was asking for at the time was guidance. I wanted to know whether what I was doing was the right thing to do.”

His mother had long expected his change of religious faith. “I told my mother I was Muslim in Disneyland. She said ‘I don’t necessarily know if I feel good about it, but if it makes you happy and it’s what you feel is the right way, then there’s nothing I can do.’”

Now he regularly worships at the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro mosque.

Miller, a white convert in a diverse congregation, has heard comments about his faith - and the controversy surrounding his mosque. Once, an Iraqi war veteran told him that the new controversial Islamic Center of Murfreesboro should not be built because it could potentially harbor terrorists.

“I addressed his questions formally and it was funny because at the end of the conversation, he kind of started admitting, 'Well you know, I don’t know anything about Islam.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Interfaith issues • Iran • Islam • Mosque • Muslim

soundoff (3,206 Responses)
  1. Albert

I was born a muslim somewhere in Southern Europe . But hated every possible muslim tradition, prayers, and became extremely racist towards Muslims by the age of 20. Then, I converted into evangelical christianism and after 15 years of living amongst christians I realised that there is little difference between Christians or Muslims. They have both streamed and evolved in their own ways from ancient Jewish fairy tales. Extreme Islam produces thousands of Terrorists, while this so called evangelical christianism produces millions of crooks and assasins accross Latin and North America.

So, if you think that there is God in these two beliefs originating from ancient jewish fairy tales and lies, then you shall never see or meet God.

March 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • The Real Tom Paine

Thank you!

March 25, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

.@ALBERT

..SO SORRY THAT IN YOUR SEARCH YOU MISSED THE REAL TRUTH!

March 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  2. fundies

"Jeeesssussss, he's my friend" "Jesssussssss, he's my friend" "takes me by the hand........

March 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  3. ab

What an idiot and waste of space on CNN this isn't even news worthy. Now this guys Muslim friend who pretty much talkwd him into converting got some bonus points from the Muslim community. I hate this religion and everything

March 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  4. Cast in the name of god ye not guilty

Hypocrisy can only go so far.you christans goto church to go pray to jesus crist.Muslims goto the mosque to go pray to alla.what ever happened to the first amendment.remember dem pilgrims came to dis country ov ours to practice free religion.which was not accepted in Europe at the time.all I'm saying is were just puppets of god.live an let die.By his power.Muslims are one of the most devoted people lets not criticize.there is no terrorist threat,in Islam it is wrong to do wrong against man kind.we all kno the mystery behind 9/11.

March 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  5. Me

From one silly fairy tale to another. Do yourself a favor read how you have been brainwashed. "God is not Great" if you have the intelligence or perhaps "The End of Faith" if you need and easier read. Religion is the source of all war and evil in the world.

March 25, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Anonymous

I have read both the bible and God is not Great, and I did attend church, and have an interest in religion. I am intrigued by both the rock solid “faith” highly educated and thoughtful religious people can have – as well the ease with which it can shown how manufactured all the religions can be. I apologise for my first messages lack of brevity. In summary –

1. Like Hitchins concludes in God is not Great – don't be afraid (or let others dissuade you) to keep asking questions and formulate your own conclusions – which may be the less than comfortable one of "we just don't know".

2. Why does everyone try to convert the other? Why so concerned? Be happy with what works for you – and let others do what works for them – unless they bring harm to others. Weather you make the "leap of faith" because it helps you – or not – either is fine.

3. There are many other, and I dare say better, factors that cause people to act decently – other than religion, guilt or fear.

March 26, 2011 at 2:44 am |
  6. Dennis

One thing he might want to study is the life of the founder of the belief system as recorded by his friends, conemporary generals and child wife. This belief system was created in the 7th century so there are many reliable sources of information. Revelations that changed to fit political goals, the acts performed by his followers during the conquest on his orders, the acts of unimaginable brutality for greed etc.. Yes this is a religion of peace alright. Of course anything worthy of being called peaceful in this particular belief system happened after he had an empire and the politicalneedschanged from conquest to rule. I am an thiest and have no ax to grind in favor of any belief system but to call Islam a religion is beyond insane.

March 25, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  7. jpbill

My comment is being awaiting moderation. all i said was Mohammed tolerated lies,deception, and dishonesty

March 25, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  8. Michael, Chapel Hill

I am not sure if this guy has ever read the Bible & gone to any church. No mind can be left empty.

March 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  9. Chris McDonald

Unlike most Christians, I have read the Koran. I was surprised to find it follows the first five books of the Bible and enjoys many of the same characters and prophets. It is written from the Arch Angel Gabriel and Allah. It even recognizes Jesus as having a virgin birth and being a great prophet of Allah. However, it says that Allah doesn't have a son, nor would need one. Anybody – Jew, Christian, or Pagan (that includes unbelievers) are to be punished for their unbelief in Allah as the only true god. The extremist then take this into their own hands believing to die for Allah is the ultimate way of finding eternal life with great reward. While Allah is all forgiving – he requires good deeds and works to earn his favor...and maybe if you are lucky he will allow you in heaven. How many good deeds? Short of killing infedels – Nobody knows for sure. How many times you have to wash your hands...pray in a certain direction...how you dress, eat...and more. It doesn't spell out exactly how you know that you know that you know Allah has and will save you.
    That is the difference for those that believe – The Allah of the Koran is not the God of the Bible – and people must understand this. God sent his son to die on the cross to serve once and for all that accept him to bring salvation. God has a son – and his name is Jesus. Those that believe and accept this will receive salvation. No guess work needed – You see the difference? Christ came and died for us...while extreme muslims are expected to die for Allah. But...it is a personal choice. This young fellow knew the score when he switched teams. Good luck with that.

March 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • Me

And you are delusional regardless of which God you've made up.

March 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • The Real Tom Paine

And Christian extremeists have not taken matters into their own hands concerning believers/unbelivers, or whatever they considered them to be? You start out in a reasonable vein, then do a 180.

The Inquisition, lets begin, the Inquisition, what a sin, you know that we're out to convert the Jew:
      Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew Jew!

-History of the World, Part 1, Mel Brooks

March 25, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • JAMnorth45

Well well now, you're God sure is an angry unjust god. That with one hand he would profess love and compassion for everybody and that with the other he chooses to arbitrarily condemn for all eternity so many creatures of his own creation that came upon being even before he sent his supposed son Jesus to save what he must all-knowingly know is a very limited portion of humanity that has even had the opportunity to hear the so-called good news delivered by hi son. May as well believe in the tooth fairy...

March 25, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  10. Dave

A lost soul. full of contradictions...

March 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  11. Joe

Where is the story of the millions of Muslims converting to Christianity in Middle Eastern countries daily? CNN is ridiculous when it comes to their anti-Christian point of view. CNN= Christians Not Noticed

March 25, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • fundies

CNN = censor-loving nimrod nits

March 25, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • ABSOLUTeTRUTH

Because those that ask questions, are true to themselves, and thirst for the absolute Truth, go to the light of Islam.

March 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  12. Gabriel K

From one insanity to the other...

March 25, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  13. Hebba

The last statement says it all: "well, you know. I don't know anything about islam"

March 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  14. Anonymous

This is interesting dialogue – a snapshot of some breadth of positions on the issue from a variety of degrees of informed background. What is apparent from a good piece of it is that there are many who are over concerned with what others believe. When it results in actions that harm others – then I understand the reason for concern. But in many cases it seems that it really offends some that others believe different then they do. Some of this spring’s from pieces of religion that promotes this kind of intolerance (“there is no god but my god” etc). My thought is – why should you care – especially to the point of being hateful and insulting.

My view is that it is OK for me to never stop asking questions about the “great big issues” of the beginning and ending of things (or lack thereof) and that is OK to just say "I don't really know" . Granted it is not very comforting and it certainly does not provide a vehicle with which to coral people together to follow or act in particular way (let me call it the “I don’t know” …. uh …. way of thinking – need to be careful on giving this any definition or name – which can in itself cause problems). And it may be so uncomfortable that many cannot live on this basis – which is very understandable. So let there be a variety of beliefs, religions, whatever, to assist those in living day to day with some comfort around the “great big issues” that my also provide guidelines that promote caring, love, tolerance, piece of mind – all good things. Just do not let them be used to insite hatred, intolerance, used for greed, taking advantage of others, etc, etc.

I know that there is some fear around people living with the “I don’t know” … way of thinking (almost typed "belief" there – whew, close one) in that it can lead to anarchy and "every man for himself" destruction. But I don't think so. There are other forces of survivalist and herding instincts that cause us to look out for one another – and I have to admit that after that I don't really have a lot of answers.

I come from a lineage of doctors who served in the both world wars – and were lucky to survive. They were extremely well read people who cam from humble backgrounds who saw death in so many ways – in great volume – up close and personal. They introduced me to organized religion (in two forms) and allowed me the background to make a choice. I took up reading generally at an early age and went on to both compete at a high level in sports – and study for many years at university to become a “professional” with a wife and two kids in a comfortable and happy life. I was introduced at an early age to doing volunteer work in the community – and have been involved ever since in many ways – many hours. A lot of it as a volunteer with youth development and to help kids make good choices at an early age when they might go the other way. I just very simply like the idea of the long term impact this can make. Now in my 50’s I sit on the boards of 3 organizations that do this.

I say all this not to point out how good a person I might be – but rather as a background for my next statement. I am not really sure why I do these things – other thatn I do it kind of well (and like anybody else there are many things I do not do well) – and I learn from it – and I enjoy it. In some cases I get recognition and in many cases I don’t – and I still feel good. Out of interest, I have plumbed the depths of reasoning for my involvement – childhood (which was a mix of good and bad) and other experiences, etc – and can arrive at theories that make sense from a textbook standpoint – but nothing really concrete that resonates. And that is OK. I don’t’ need to complicate it with really needing to know why – nor do I need to convince others to be that way. It just works for me – and I am not out there creating anarchy.

I wonder after all this if it really comes down to each of us trying to find ways to have the most number of minutes in your life that are “positive” feeling – or at least not negative. And trouble arising when doing negative things creates positive feelings.

Another thought – I think I am right to say that there is not a single religion (in it’s pure form), race, culture, animal or living thing that approves of bringing harm to their young. Some religions, cultures, animal species say it is OK to take, kill, hurt – do all sorts of bad things – but not to hurt your young. The origin of so many negative acts and energy arises when this universally sacred responsibility is broken.

March 25, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • Anonymous

Saw that my blog got inserted in the middle of it all and hoping this "Reply" will get it to the end where it might be read.

March 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Consuelo

tl;dr

March 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Nonimus

Huh? A lot of words to say very little.

There are cultures in this world where infanticide is perfectly acceptable, mostly for female children, but also deformed, mutated, and illegitimate. In addition, there are many animals that eat their own young, not just their own kind, but their own offspring.

March 25, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  15. fundies

say belief blog three times fast

March 25, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  16. Mark

I hate it when CNN does these stories. It's all about degrading Christianity and uplifting "poor down trodden" Islam. I get tired of all this liberal pandering to the enemy. If muslims want to be muslims and a country where the laws of Islam are promoted why not live there i.e. Iran, Iraq, S.A. etc? why here? I mean if there was a country that was entirely Christian (as Iran is Muslim) I would live there. Unfortunetly, this is the melting pot we live in here in the USA thanks to crummy immigration laws. Turing my country into multi-religious SICK! unwelcome YES! Go away.

March 25, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • SlayFalseGod

Mark
      Why are your churches filled with child molesters ?
      I wish THEY would go away ?

March 25, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • John

You obviously don't believe in freedom of religion.

March 25, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Mark,
      If you feel that Americans, of whatever religion, are "the enemy," I feel sorry for you.
      "...if there was a country that was entirely Christian... I would live there."
      Vatican City is a nation that is 100% Christian... Enjoy.
      Good Bye.

March 25, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • Magic

Mark,
      "I mean if there was a country that was entirely Christian (as Iran is Muslim) I would live there."

Hah! Then you'd be fighting over whether to have dancing or not, liquor or not, gays or not, celibacy or not, etc., etc.

No, just face it – you do not play well with others.

March 25, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • David

Sorry. I'm not Christian, nor Muslim. But I don't consider either my enemy. There may be some Muslims who are my enemy. And some Christian my eneny. But a religion is not my enemy. Religion cannot hurt me. Only people who believe they are following a religion can hurt me. I could study Road Runner and Coyote, and throw people off of cliffs. It wasn't the roadrunner or Coyote that hurt you, it was me.

March 25, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • jrr

I think its not too late for all of us as this can or may be a wake up call for "america" to turn away false teachings of any religion and anything that ends in '...ism.' Christianity isnt a religion but rather a Christ-like lifestyle, walking with Christ. funny to say.

March 25, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  17. This will get them fired up

I believe in the gnostic gospels. the true, unedited word of God.

March 25, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  18. Bond, James Bond

Abraham=Christianity Isaac=Judaism Ishmael=Islam: Abraham is the father of faith, those who are of faith are the sons of God. Just a thought

March 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
  19. Mohamed (the real one)

Being found in appearance as a man, Jesus humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Jesus, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW (Including Mohamed's), of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue (Including Mohamed's) will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

March 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Mark

Amen!

March 25, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Steve, the real one

From one "real One" to another, very well stated. Amen indeed!

March 25, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • URNUTS

Amen to the thrid!

March 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Normon

Every knee shall bend and head bow (never heard of a knee bowing) to age and infirmity, this life is all you have, make the most of it.

March 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • ABSOLUTeTRUTH

Christians, WAKE UP! USE YOUR GOD-GIVEN MINDS AND THINK FOR YOURSELF!!! -– The holy prophet Jesus was a man, NOT GOD!!!!

Man needs to take himself out of the equation and return to the will of God as prescribed in Islam (submission to the will of God). Islam is the way of life prescribed by the Almighty God, from which ALL things come and to whom all things return.

March 25, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • Mohamed (the real one)

ABSOLUTeLIES

March 25, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • abdisamad

I have two Questions for you: Why are you referring humans as the children of God? and if God was our father, why does he kills us (why we die). we are all the children of Adam, we are the slaves of God. it is mentioned in the bible that Jesus used to pray for God and yet you are still believe he is the God/Son of God. why are you saying that Jesus is the son of God and not Adam. since Adam was created out of the clay. and Jesus from a single mother. Adam didn't even have father or mother. i respect your point of view and i wont insult your religion. may peace be with you

March 25, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Mohamed (the real one)

ABSOLUTE,

Your prophet Mohamed was a man and he deceived you, like any man will.

Jesus it God, He is the way the truth and the life, there is no way to the Father except through His son Jesus Christ, who is God in the flesh and who came to Earth to look mankind in the eyes and prove his love to them, so that they might believe in Him and live forever with Him in a new heaven and new earth after he returns to destroy this present corrupt heaven and earth to destroy and those who have rejected His free offer of eternal life.

March 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • Nick

um NO! EVERYONE WILL BOW. Muhammad's( peace be upon him) and Jesus (peace be upon him). God is one. Jesus is not God. The concept of the trinity is not even in the Bible. It is complete,y made up. That is why ISLAM is spreading despite our attempt to discredit it. Because it is simple and true.

March 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Mohamed (the real one)

Abdisamad

The Bible teaches that humans, who confess Jesus as God, become God’s adopted children. Those who reject Jesus as God are not adopted and God will destroy them because God is perfect and does not tolerate sin in his presence. Only God’s adopted children can be in his presence, God has cleansed them of their sin and made them righteous. By becoming God’s adopted children we are no longer slaves to sin, slaves to our own desires, we are slaves to righteousness, our desires become God’s desires, we enslave ourselves to him as servants or as children.

God came to Earth as a man, this was the best way for God to communicate His love to man and his desire for man to be reunited with God. Jesus prayed to God to demonstrate to us how to pray and to show us that the will of God and the will of Jesus were the same, meaning that Jesus and God are the same.

Son can mean a physical child or it can mean a spiritual heir. Humans are all the physical children of Adam, including Jesus. Only those who are spiritually adopted children of God are His children.
      Christ and humans, who confess that Christ is God, are both physical children of God and spiritual children of God

March 25, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Mohamed (the real one)

Nick,

Yes, everyone will bow, this means that even if you reject Jesus as God and forfeit the free gift of eternal life with God, one day you will confess with your mouth that Jesus is God, but when that time comes it will be too late and you will have decided to remain eternally separated from God.

The concept of the trinity is everywhere in the Bible, from the first book to the last, it is not made up.

Islam is spreading because God/Jesus is allowing it to spread, just because God allows Islam to spread doesn’t prove anything, except that God/Jesus is patient with you and allowing you to continue in your sin for a little while, unless you confess with your mouth that Jesus is God and Lord, you will die and be eternally separated from God and it will have been your choice.

Islam is not true, it denies that Christ is God and that He offers you eternal life. Islam is like all other religions, their purpose it to deny that Christ is God and deny that God wrote the Bible and that the Bible is truth.

March 25, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  20. jrr

anyone can be a devout Christian whether its from a bible believing baptist church to a luthern church. anyone can do many works in the church and being busy with many activities. i believe that if your foundation is not FIRM on the Word of God (Bible) by reading and meditating and being in hearing distance to God through Christ Jesus. then its sad to say the enemy (satan) will grab you and make you think what you are doing or going to is the right path. sad to say that this individual will be accountable for his actions and others who might follow or stumble on the wrong path through him (this individual). All we can do is pray for him that he will Wake Up to the real truth. if he knows the story of abraham, sarah and hagar and the 'promise one', then he'll or anyone will know the truth.

Here's an quotation found at http://www.allaboutreligion.org/origin-of-islam.htm

One contradiction in particular has caused a great deal of conflict between Muslims and ethnic Jews and is thought to have been and continues to be the cause of much bloodshed in the Middle East. According to the Hebrew Torah, God made a covenant with a man named Abraham. God promised Abraham a child through whom He would fulfill this covenant ("the child of promise," Genesis 15). Abraham was at that time childless. His wife, Sarah, was barren. This of course made the promise very special to Abraham. But it would require nothing less than a miracle. Sarah, conscious of her condition, decided to help God out. She offered her maidservant Hagar to Abraham with the hope that Hagar might conceive and bear the child of promise. Abraham agreed to take Hagar as his concubine. She conceived and bore Ishmael (Genesis 16). God allowed Ishmael to be born but Ishmael was not the child of promise God had in mind (Genesis 17). God promised a child through Sarah, not Hagar (Genesis 17-18), and in due time God fulfilled His promise. "And the Lord visited Sarah as He had said, and the Lord did for Sarah as He had spoken. For Sarah conceived and bore Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him. And Abraham called the name of his son who was born to him-whom Sarah bore to him-isaac." (Genesis 21:1-3) Isaac was the child of promise. Isaac later begot Jacob, the father of the twelve tribes of Israel, and the Messiah, Jesus Christ, eventually came into the world through the nation of Israel, fulfilling the covenant which God had made with Abraham. God also promised to give the land of Canaan (Palestine) to Isaac's descendants, the land which Israel possesses today (Genesis 12:4-7; 13:12-18; 15:1-21; 17:1-22; 21:1-14; 25:19-26; 26:1-6; 35:9-12).

The problem is that the Qur'an teaches that Ishmael was the child of promise (Sura 19:54; compare Sura 37:83-109 with Genesis 22:1-19) and so Muslims believe that God's covenant promises were meant for Ishmael's descendants, not Isaac's. Muhammad descended from Ishmael and so Muslims seek to lay claim to these covenant promises, namely the land of Palestine. Since Israel's U.N.-sanctioned return to Palestine in 1948 there has been unceasing hostility between Israel and her Arab neighbors, with major armed conflicts in 1948-49, 1956, 1967, 1973-74, and 1982. That Israel remains today is a miracle in-and-of itself.

March 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Nonimus

So it boils down to a probate dispute?

March 25, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Roger Blatto

I really hope this guy does not change his mind in a couple of years. Anyone leaving Islam is handed a death sentance under Sharia Law. Jesus allows people to come to him freely "Come all to me all that are weighed down by the burdens of life and I will give you rest". Those that do not will sometimes continue carrying their burdens with them until the day they pass away. Unfortunately, this guy added a few more burdens to his shoulders in that he must now perform daily religious acts (praying towards Mecca six times a day, fasting during Rahmaddan, ... as well as the burden of the death sentance for converting to another faith later on if he decides to (whatever that may be). I wish him well. He created his own prison.

March 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Nick

HERE IS THE PROBLEM OR SHOULD I SAY PROBLEMS: #1. The Bible is not even authentic. It is not in its original language and has been changed several times. This is fact. #2. Many books of the Bible have been omitted; many of which completely denounce much of what is in the current Bible as we know it. This is fact that is TAUGHT in SEMINARY. #3. GOD IS ALMIGHTY, GOD IS ALL KNOWING, GOD IS ONE. AS THE FIRST COMMANDED READS. THERE IS NO OTHER GOD BEFORE ME. JESUS IS NOT GOD !!! JESUS HIMSELF PRAYS TO GOD. ITS ALL OVER THE BIBLE. ITS VERY SIMPLE. AND ITS A BIG PROBLEM IN CHRISTIANITY.

March 25, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Mohamed (the real one)

Nick,
      1) The Bible has been translated from the original text into other languages so people like you can read it. Translation does not mean changed, the Bible has not changed.
      Books have not been omitted, all 66 books of the Bible agree with themselves 100%.
      2) Books that do not 100% agree with the 66 books in the Bible are not part of the Bible and should be ommitted becuase they would be teaching something false. A Bible/Christ focused Seminary does not teach any of what you are saying.
      3) Prayer is communication, Jesus was demonstrating that He and the Father are one. I can think of at least 30 places in the Bible that say Jesus is God.

March 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm |