home
RSS
March 25th, 2011

Christian to Muslim: A change of faith

Editor’s Note: "Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door" features the Muslim community of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, where Matthew Miller has lived since age 15. CNN’s Soledad O’Brien chronicles the dramatic fight over the construction of a mosque in the heart of the Bible belt. “Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door” airing at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. E.T. April 2 on CNN.

By Elizabeth M. Nunez, CNN

The actual conversion was brief. It only involved one sentence: “I bear witness that there is no God worthy of worship but God, I bear witness that Mohammed is the messenger of God.”

For 30-year-old Mathew Miller, those words represented the culmination of a long religious transformation from Christianity to Islam.

Miller is a digital media communications major at Middle Tennessee University and works part-time at a golf course. He was raised Christian in California, surfing and dreaming of being a radio DJ.

“My first interaction with Islam was this movie called ‘Not Without my Daughter’. That was my first glimpse into what Western society believed was really going on in Islam,” he said.

"Not Without My Daughter" is a 1991 film in which Sally Field portrays an America woman who flees from Iran with her daughter. The movie, based on true story detailed in a book by the same title, was faulted by critics for portraying a stereotypical view of Iranians and Islam.

But in questioning his own beliefs, and after a conversation with a Muslim friend, Miller’s interest in Islam was piqued.

“I think for the most part I was afraid, don’t really know of what,” he said.

Later, attending Friday prayers at a small Mosque in Murfreesboro, he began to learn more.

“When I put my head on the ground with them, it felt like I could say anything to God, and what I was asking for at the time was guidance. I wanted to know whether what I was doing was the right thing to do.”

His mother had long expected his change of religious faith. “I told my mother I was Muslim in Disneyland. She said ‘I don’t necessarily know if I feel good about it, but if it makes you happy and it’s what you feel is the right way, then there’s nothing I can do.’”

Now he regularly worships at the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro mosque.

Miller, a white convert in a diverse congregation, has heard comments about his faith - and the controversy surrounding his mosque. Once, an Iraqi war veteran told him that the new controversial Islamic Center of Murfreesboro should not be built because it could potentially harbor terrorists.

“I addressed his questions formally and it was funny because at the end of the conversation, he kind of started admitting, 'Well you know, I don’t know anything about Islam.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Interfaith issues • Iran • Islam • Mosque • Muslim

soundoff (3,206 Responses)
  1. aby

Bowing down on keens with head down Mller did this in a mosque. As a christian, you had to kneel before God which Miller didn't do. Why ? if he had he would have found the truth.

March 27, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  2. ALLAMERICAN

People gave hard time and even killed the prophets from Adam to Abraham to Moses to Jeses to Mohammed, they refuse to believe, question them, trash them, let them down and used every possible way to reject !! Satan put fear in there hearts. Be open and Be respectful to all belivers and systems. Thats all .. have a great day.

March 27, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  3. jhonny

I am a Christian came from a Muslim country.
    I had been there for 25 years of my life. I know a lot about Islam.
    All that I can tell you is that Islam is not a peaceful religion and tend toward strict, non-democratic kind of system.
    Islam looks like the "right" way, like praying five times a day, but actually it is a violent religion.
    Abuse and murder are common in the Muslim countries, since they want to do more control against you.
    Just like I said before, all what you can see from a religion is the fruit in your life?
    Are you fruitful meaning that your heart is full of love or hate?
    I can tell from their face and eyes that Muslims are a violent and full of hate kind of people.
    Look how they treat women and other religions, women are not equal in Islam.
    Islam is a religion of men, meaning no problem for men to convert to Islam, give a minute about this: more women and more control against them.
    If you are an abusive man and would like more control against women, you have a better religion here.
    I would say that America needs to be careful about Muslim infiltrations and go back to the Bible since Americans do not life by the word of God and try to find another way which can please them.
    Don't be fooled.
    Don't ever think that they came here in peace.
    God bless America.

March 27, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • Muneef

jhonny.

Rubbish you think you can fool me, you are no Christian nor were you living in any Islamic country all of this you are making up...otherwise if Islam is just like those who say it is you should be dead rotten by now being a Christian in Islamic country for 25 years living among muslims in Islamic land and the first chance you go abroad you start talking ill about Muslims and Islam ,shame on you.

March 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
  4. Please hurry 2012

As a person who believes in God, I respect those who do not. But honestly dudes, some of you nonbelievers sound just as hateful, spiteful, ugly, and downright evil like the terrorists and believers of their respective faiths. Yet I bet you feel so above them don't you? Wow. I will continue to believe what I believe and respect others' right to do the same. I am not interested in pushing my "truth" onto others. I feel so sorry for "love". Hate seems to gain more ground every single day in all corners of earth.

March 27, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  5. Please hurry 2012

@dee carter
    I hope you are an atheist (my apologies to atheists) because one thing I know for sure is I most certainly would not want to follow your higher source or god if you believe in such a thing. You sound like a very bitter and resentful person. This world will never know peace, brotherhood and unconditional love as long as there are individuals like you. WOW!!! SMDH

March 27, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  6. Joe

So he went from Christianity (the younger of the two) to Islam (the older of the two)...I don't get why people make this movement, but lose traction. Ideally they should move then onto Judaism and then even further into the history books. Religion has been a by-product of itself for centuries...ultimately, who is anyone to say what is right or what is wrong besides the original founding religion...this is why I get aggravated with Christians when they say they have a belief in Abraham, but fail to realize the notion that he (Abraham) was a major player in the Muslim and Jewish texts as well....in fact they exclude many important stories that could be collaborated between the 3, its strictly a matter of self interest to that particular religion. It wasn't until a german by the name of Guttenberg created the printing press that the Bible was widely distributed and that the texts were known word for word by the public

March 27, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  7. Plugger

If you don't like them building on land, then put pigs blood all over it. the land is tainted and they will not build over it. Besides, who wants a bouch of perverted muslims moving into there neighborhood anyway.

March 27, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Plugger wrote: "who wants a bouch of perverted muslims moving into there neighborhood anyway.

I guess a bunch of perverted christians or jews is preferable...

March 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  8. Noor

I am also from TN not far from where he is and I reverted to Islam almost 10 years ago. I am so proud to hear others following the truth as well.

March 27, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
  9. Reality

Gia,

You noted:

"The books of the Bible were written by over 40 independent sources, which could be verified, or disqualified, by contemporaries with the means, motive, and opportunity to do so. When we study the books of the Bible, we should apply the same standards as we would any historical doc-u-ment."

Please provide the names of these 40 independent sources.

March 27, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  10. barbara

So now that CNN has run a story about a Christian converting to Islam, how about one where a Muslim (tries)to convert to Christianity..... oh, I forgot, you'd be killed for that... probably beheaded.

March 27, 2011 at 11:32 am |
  11. jules

omg – my imaginary deity will beat up your imaginary deity...
    there are no gods, no one is coming to save you or judge you, life is not followed by heaven or hell it just ends...
    once we can get past the fear of this thought, see it for truth, and still try to live a worthwhile and honest life free of the "matrix" of religion, we will be able to move forward as a race into true enlightenment

March 27, 2011 at 11:09 am |
  12. Cris C.

If a person is sincerely a Christian they will never trade the peace that they have in their heart which comes from a living relationship with Jesus Christ for the works based religion of Islam. The key to Christianity is the living relationship with a personal Lord and Saviour (Jesus Christ), no other "religion" has this going for it which is why all other religions are false and ultimately leave you unsaved and separated from God the Father for eternity (in hell fire).

March 27, 2011 at 3:24 am |
  13. Andy

To Elizabeth M. Nunez

Shame on you!!!. What is this?
    I am 100% sure you will not do the same to a Muslim – Christian convert.

March 27, 2011 at 2:34 am |
  14. Andy

Signs of his conversion:
    – He will start to hate Israel, West and his own people. Then he will travel to middle east. END OF THE GAME.

This is how converts usually ends up.

Watch carefully!

March 27, 2011 at 2:14 am |
    • paperjihad

Evidence?

March 27, 2011 at 9:45 am |
  15. Muneef

Just remember this;

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
    [17:63] He said, "Then go; you and those who follow you will end up in Hell as your requital; an equitable requital.

[17:64] "You may entice them with your voice, and mobilize all your forces and all your men against them, and share in their money and children, and promise them. Anything the devil promises is no more than an illusion.

[17:65] "As for My servants, you have no power over them." Your Lord suffices as an advocate.

Al-Isra sura 17:
    [17:70] We have honored the children of Adam, and provided them with rides on land and in the sea. We provided for them good provisions, and we gave them greater advantages than many of our creatures.

[17:71] The day will come when we summon every people, together with their record. As for those who are given a record of righteousness, they will read their record and will not suffer the least injustice.

[17:72] As for those who are blind in this life, they will be blind in the Hereafter; even a lot worse.

[17:73] They almost diverted you from the revelations we have given you. They wanted you to fabricate something else, in order to consider you a friend.

[17:74] If it were not that we strengthened you, you almost leaned towards them just a little bit.

[17:75] Had you done that, we would have doubled the retribution for you in this life, and after death, and you would have found no one to help you against us.

[17:76] They almost banished you from the land to get rid of you, so they could revert as soon as you left.

[17:77] This has been consistently the case with all the messengers that we sent before you, and you will find that our system never changes.

March 26, 2011 at 8:49 pm |

Muhammed about himself :

Suran 46:9 – Say: “I am no bringer of new-fangled doctrine among the apostles, nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I follow but that which is revealed to me by inspiration; I am but a Warner open and clear.”

Muhammed about Jesus:
      Suran 3:55Behold! Allah said: “O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and clear thee (of the falsehoods) of those who blaspheme; I will make those who follow thee superior to those who reject faith, to the Day of Resurrection: Then shall ye all return unto me, and I will judge between you of the matters wherein ye dispute.

Ali, A. Y. (2004). The meaning of the Holy Qur'an (Electronic version.).

March 26, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
    • dee carter

HEHEHEHEHEH

I'll remember, wow muneef does your god always work so fast, like 1400 yrs and counting....keep da faith.

Why do krazzzee muslims always find it necessary to heed the warnings, when they have nothing to say, because they don't realize how re-donkulous it is to defend a made up god, then they start saying, "just remember", or "what if you're wrong" ...fyi i would say i'll see you in heaven and ill prove i was right, but there isnt a heaven, dupid

March 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  16. Reality

Did Jesus exist?

Based on the following references used by contemporary historical Jesus scholars, yes he did. A sampling:

From Professors Crossan and Watts' book, Who is Jesus.

"That Jesus was crucified under Pontius Pilate, as the Creed states, is as certain as anything historical can ever be.

“ The Jewish historian, Josephus and the pagan historian Tacitus both agree that Jesus was executed by order of the Roman governor of Judea. And is very hard to imagine that Jesus' followers would have invented such a story unless it indeed happened.

“While the brute fact that of Jesus' death by crucifixion is historically certain, however, those detailed narratives in our present gospels are much more problematic. "

“My best historical reconstruction would be something like this. Jesus was arrested during the Passover festival, most likely in response to his action in the Temple. Those who were closest to him ran away for their own safety.

I do not presume that there were any high-level confrontations between Caiaphas and Pilate and Herod Antipas either about Jesus or with Jesus. No doubt they would have agreed before the festival that fast action was to be taken against any disturbance and that a few examples by crucifixion might be especially useful at the outset. And I doubt very much if Jewish police or Roman soldiers needed to go too far up the chain of command in handling a Galilean peasant like Jesus. It is hard for us to imagine the casual brutality with which Jesus was probably taken and executed. All those "last week" details in our gospels, as distinct from the brute facts just mentioned, are prophecy turned into history, rather than history remembered."

See also Professor Crossan's reviews of the existence of Jesus in his other books especially, The Historical Jesus and also Excavating Jesus (with Professor Jonathan Reed doing the archeology discussion) .

Other NT exegetes to include members of the Jesus Seminar have published similar books with appropriate supporting references.

Part of Crossan's The Historical Jesus has been published online at books.google.com/books.

There is also a search engine for this book on the left side of the opening page. e.g. Search Josephus

See also Wikipedia's review on the historical Jesus to include the Tacitus' reference to the crucifixion of Jesus.

From ask.com,

"One of the greatest historians of ancient Rome, Cornelius Tacitus is a primary source for much of what is known about life the first and second centuries after the life of Jesus. His most famous works, Histories and Annals, exist in fragmentary form, though many of his earlier writings were lost to time. Tacitus is known for being generally reliable (if somewhat biased toward what he saw as Roman immorality) and for having a uniquely direct (if not blunt) writing style.

Then there are these scriptural references:

Crucifixion of Jesus:(1) 1 Cor 15:3b; (2a) Gos. Pet. 4:10-5:16,18-20; 6:22; (2b) Mark 15:22-38 = Matt 27:33-51a = Luke 23:32-46; (2c) John 19:17b-25a,28-36; (3) Barn. 7:3-5; (4a) 1 Clem. 16:3-4 (=Isaiah 53:1-12); (4b) 1 Clem. 16.15-16 (=Psalm 22:6-8); (5a) Ign. Mag. 11; (5b) Ign. Trall. 9:1b; (5c) Ign. Smyrn. 1.2.- (read them all at wiki.faithfutures. Crucifixion org/index.php/005_Crucifixion_Of_Jesus )

Added suggested readings:

o 1. Historical Jesus Theories, earlychristianwritings.com/theories.htm – the names of many of the contemporary historical Jesus scholars and the ti-tles of their over 100 books on the subject.
    2. Early Christian Writings, earlychristianwritings.com/
    – a list of early Christian doc-uments to include the year of publication–
    30-60 CE Passion Narrative
    100-150 Preaching of Peter
    100-160 Gospel of the Ebionites
    100-160 Gospel of the Nazoreans
    100-160 Shepherd of Hermas
    100-160 2 Peter
    3. Historical Jesus Studies, faithfutures.org/HJstudies.html,
    – "an extensive and constantly expanding literature on historical research into the person and cultural context of Jesus of Nazareth"
    4. Jesus Database, faithfutures.org/JDB/intro.html–"The JESUS DATABASE is an online annotated inventory of the traditions concerning the life and teachings of Jesus that have survived from the first three centuries of the Common Era. It includes both canonical and extra-canonical materials, and is not limited to the traditions found within the Christian New Testament."
    5. Josephus on Jesus mtio.com/articles/bissar24.htm
    6. The Jesus Seminar, mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/seminar.html#Criteria
    7. Writing the New Testament- mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/testament.html
    8. Health and Healing in the Land of Israel By Joe Zias
    joezias.com/HealthHealingLandIsrael.htm
    9. Economics in First Century Palestine, K.C. Hanson and D. E. Oakman, Palestine in the Time of Jesus, Fortress Press, 1998.
    10. 7. The Gnostic Jesus
    (Part One in a Two-Part Series on Ancient and Modern Gnosticism)
    by Douglas Groothuis: equip.org/free/DG040-1.htm
    11. The interpretation of the Bible in the Church, Pontifical Biblical Commission
    Presented on March 18, 1994
    ewtn.com/library/CURIA/PBCINTER.HTM#2
    12. The Jesus Database- newer site:
    wiki.faithfutures.org/index.php?t-itle=Jesus_Database
    13. Jesus Database with the example of Supper and Eucharist:
    faithfutures.org/JDB/jdb016.html
    14. Josephus on Jesus by Paul Maier:
    mtio.com/articles/bissar24.htm
    15. The Journal of Higher Criticism with links to articles on the Historical Jesus:
    mtio.com/articles/bissar24.htm
    16. The Greek New Testament: laparola.net/greco/
    17. Diseases in the Bible:
    etd.unisa.ac.za/ETD-db/theses/available/etd-08022006-125807/unrestricted/02dissertation.pdf
    18. Religion on Line (6000 articles on the history of religion, churches, theologies,
    theologians, ethics, etc.
    religion-online.org/
    19. The Jesus Seminarians and their search for NT authenticity:
    mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/seminar.html#Criteria
    20. The New Testament Gateway – Internet NT ntgateway.com/
    21. Writing the New Testament- existing copies, oral tradition etc.
    ntgateway.com/
    22. The Search for the Historic Jesus by the Jesus Seminarians:
    members.aol.com/DrSwiney/seminar.html
    23. Jesus Decoded by Msgr. Francis J. Maniscalco (Da Vinci Code review)jesusdecoded.com/introduction.php
    24. JD Crossan's scriptural references for his book the Historical Jesus separated into time periods: faithfutures.org/Jesus/Crossan1.rtf
    25. JD Crossan's conclusions about the authencity of most of the NT based on the above plus the conclusions of other NT exegetes in the last 200 years:
    faithfutures.org/Jesus/Crossan2.rtf
    26. Common Sayings from Thomas's Gospel and the Q Gospel: faithfutures.org/Jesus/Crossan3.rtf
    27. Early Jewish Writings- Josephus and his books by t-itle with the complete translated work in English :earlyjewishwritings.com/josephus.html
    28. Luke and Josephus- was there a connection?
    infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/lukeandjosephus.html
    29. NT and beyond time line:
    pbs.org/empires/peterandpaul/history/timeline/
    30. St. Paul's Time line with discussion of important events:
    harvardhouse.com/prophetictech/new/pauls_life.htm
    31. See http://www.amazon.com for a list of JD Crossan's books and those of the other Jesus Seminarians: Reviews of said books are included and selected pages can now be viewed on Amazon. Some books can be found on-line at Google Books.
    32. Father Edward Schillebeeckx's words of wisdom as found in his books.
    33. The books of the following : Professors Marcus Borg, Paula Fredriksen, Elaine Pagels, Karen Armstrong and Bishop NT Wright.
    34. Father Raymond Brown's An Introduction to the New Testament, Doubleday, NY, 1977, 878 pages, with Nihil obstat and Imprimatur.
    35. Luke Timothy Johnson's book The Real Jesus

March 26, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  17. FrankLW

Astounding how people can actually take seriously the "teachings" of a 7th century charismatic and clever warlord who very clearly claimed to be a "prophet" of God in order to appeal to the masses and gain their utter devotion – far more devotion than what he would get as a typical warlord. Even Muhammad himself would be blown away if he could know that his fabrications would continue to gather devotees in 21st century America!

Again, if Christianity doesn't make sense but people have a deep feeling for the divine, you'd think they would simply adopt the Seven Noahide laws that establish law, order and morality with a divine origin but devoid of all the inane myths and manipulations – and horrors.

March 26, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • paperjihad

So, how was Moses not a 'charismatic warlord'?

March 27, 2011 at 9:44 am |
    • dee carter

My sentiments exactly, except that if that sadist/pervert/pedophile was alive today, he would either believe he was a prophet because he's crazy and really believes it, or he would be laughing all the way to the bank

March 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  18. choevyn

Has anyone considered the notion that Miller is not searching for "truth" but is continuing a lifelong pursuit of a father figure? This seems to be the real story here.

March 26, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Muhammed Saddiq

I am the friend that matthew had the conversation with back in 2001 and I can assure you that this is not the case. 9 years is a lot of time to consider your thoughts carefully.

March 26, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
    • Sean

Why don't you just cover your ears with your hands and keep yelling "LALALALALALALALALALALALALA"

Keep lying to your self.

March 27, 2011 at 11:13 am |
  19. Maybe converting?

Love this article!!!

March 26, 2011 at 1:03 pm |

According to the Quran Muhamed did not know how to get to heaven. His dead body lies in Medina. However, the Quran, which was put together by the second Caliph 25 years after the death of Muhamed, states that there are only two ways to get to heaven for sure – Die in Jihad or Following Jesus.

What did Muhammed say about his own salvation and of those who follow him?

All-Quran 46:9 – "Say: “I am no bringer of new-fangled doctrine among the apostles, nor do I know what will be done with me or with you. I follow but that which is revealed to me by inspiration; I am but a plain warner open and clear.”

Behold! Allah said: “O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and clear thee (of the falsehoods) of those who blaspheme; I will make those who follow thee superior to those who reject faith, to the Day of Resurrection: Then shall ye all return unto me, and I will judge between you of the matters wherein ye dispute."

Ali, A. Y. (2004). The meaning of the Holy Qur'an (Electronic version.).

What did Jesus say about salvation?
      “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die." John 11:25

According to both the Quran and the Bible Jesus is in Heaven now. Muhammed is in the ground with no knowledge of where he is going. Who would be the better guide?

New American Standard Bible : 1995 update. 1995 (Jn 11:25–26). LaHabra, CA: The Lockman Foundation.

March 26, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • Sean

Oh! So you believe in the Quran now? I'm confused. You believe in the Qura, but it proves that Jesus is the one to follow, and the proof is in the Quran....that you should not listen to Quran but to Jesus, by listening to Quran that tells you about Jesus who said....

I'm confused 🙁

March 27, 2011 at 11:16 am |
  20. Lynn

NOTHING? How about warning him that exchanging the truth of God for a lie will send him to hell for eternity?

March 26, 2011 at 11:23 am |
    • paperjihad

Apparently the young man believes Islam is the truth. And personally I find Islam's arguments more convincing than any other religion's.

March 26, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • ANTHONY

What was Abraham's religion or Moses or Jesus religion? Jesus said in John 14:28 "You heard that I said to you, I go away, and I will come to you. If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced, because I go to the Father; for the Father is greater than I'" He never said they were equal. Matthew 26:39 Jesus feel to his face and prayed (just like Muslims) Jesus, the son of Mary worshiped God (Allah) I know you don't wanna hear this so i'm not gonna try to convince. As a Muslim, the Qur'an teaches us, (Say: O disbelievers! I worship not that which ye worship; Nor worship ye that which I worship. And I shall not worship that which ye worship. Nor will ye worship that which I worship. Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion). WE'RE NOT BAD PEOPLE.

March 26, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • bob

Miller's mother has more sense than you, Lyn. Learn from her. Religion is not for everyone, certainly not you.

March 26, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • 3rdMLNM

Jesus said:

Do not work for food that perishes
      but work for the Food that endures for Eternal Life,
      which the "Son of Man" will give you!

For this is the will of my Lord,
      that everyone who sees the Servant (=that "Son of Man" again)
      and believes in him may have Eternal Life,
      and God will raise him on the LAST & THIRD DAY (=MILLENNIUM)! (John 6/27, 40)

(*1 DAY = 1000 YEARS in the sight of Elohim; Psalms 90/4)

Muhammad said:
      If there remains only one Day from this world,
      Allah will certainly lengthen this last Day
      that He will certainly send a Man (=that "Son of Man" again, as already predicted by Jesus above) from my House
      in this LAST DAY (=MILLENNIUM)! (from Abu Dawud)

(*1 DAY = again 1000 YEARS in the sight of Allah; Hajj 47)

So all true and sincere followers of Jesus and Muhammad here,
      this one and only true GOD (Elohim = Allah) of Abraham, and his honorable descendants prophet Jesus and Muhammad,
      thus kept His Promise, and has already sent that Son of Man & Son of David & Son of Muhammad,
      right here now, for the Eternal Salvation of all sincere believers, and all humanity,
      in this THIRD and LAST DAY (=MILLENNIUM),
      right here, now:

http//:www.holy-19-harvest.com

March 26, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
    • dee carter

Why do people quote the Quran or Bible as if it's some sort of proof? In that case the book that I made up, it's called" Islam is a religion of terror and Crazy Christians", says that the only true Muslims are the ones that sign up for Jihad, because thats what it tells them to do in the Quran, (and thats in page 5, of my book, so obviously it's true, you can't refute, it's in my book) The other "Muslims" living in the U.S. that are not walking around "Jihading", or screaming "Death to the infidels" are actually not Muslims (thats on pg 6 of my same book) They are just like I was, born into a religion they know nothing about, forced to believe, and when they go to their Islamic school to learn about Islam, they hear the apologetic stories about how "we muslims" are not like the world says we are. "Those" Muslims in the middle east are "extremists" Ummmmm how come no other religion has to defend themesleves and say "well we're not all like Muhammed, who went on rampages and killed people, we're a religion of peace" and how come no other religion says "Well we have this book, and its our holy book, and it says death to anyone who isn't a believer, but then at the same time, it says God is merciful, but dont forget beat your wife, and have around 4, but only if she's ok with that, and Don't kill anyone, but kill the infidels, but God is the most merciful, and he will forgive" ,.....".oh and one other thing, the book doesnt really say that, the muslims in the middle east are extremists, and the book is in Arabic, like you guys can't translate it anyway" (and how can it be that you can't translate the meaning, and every muslim scholar says 'No, when it says "beat yout wife", your misinterperting, and it doesnt really mean kill all non believers") Anyway, all you fake Muslims in the US and Canada, stop pretending you are muslims when you don't even follow the religion, if you did you would following what it says in the quran and killing all non believers, you are living the American dream, that has nothing to do with Islam. Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the only real religion

March 27, 2011 at 8:10 am |
    • Sean

@dee carter: You're right that if you don't believe in the Quran, then it shouldn't be quoted as proof.

I have a suggestion though.
      Try to look at the Quran as a book that's arguing with you. Imagine the book's argument is that "I am the words of God. Give me a chance to prove it to you, listen to what I have to say and if you like what you read, then great. If you are not convinced by my argument then leave me and you have not lost anything."

The Quran will argue for it's self and the burden of proof is on the Quran itself. Just read it, and it will present its argument for you. And the Quran claims that too and will challenge you:

l. The Whole Quran

In the Quran, God commanded the Prophet to challenge all of creation to create a book of the stature of the Quran:
      “Say: ‘If all mankind and the jinn would come together to produce the like of this Quran, they could not produce its like even though they exerted all and their strength in aiding one another.’” (Quran 17:88)

2. Ten Chapters

Next, God made the challenge ostensibly easier by asking those who denied its divine origin to imitate even ten chapters of the Quran:
      “Or do they say that he has invented it? Say (to them), ‘Bring ten invented chapters like it, and call (for help) on whomever you can besides God, if you are truthful.” (Quran 11:13)

3. One Chapter

This final challenge was to produce even a single chapter to match what is in the Quran, whose shortest chapter, al-Kawthar, consists of only three verses:
      “And if you all are in doubt about what I have revealed to My servant, bring a single chapter like it, and call your witnesses besides God if you are truthful.” (Quran 2:23)

"Verily! We have sent you (O Muhammad) with the Truth, a bearer of glad tidings and a warner; and there is not a nation but a warner has passed among them."
      Qur'an 35:24.

March 27, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • Aneriz

"God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets,
      has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds;
      who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power.." Hebrews 1:1-3
      If you are a Christian and you do not know that Jesus is the Son of God, you have not read your Bible and regard it as the Word of God. Therefore you have open yourself to senseless argument and deception. Be sober and alert. Keep the faith.

March 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm |