home
RSS
March 25th, 2011

'Good against evil' in Iowa

By Kevin Bohn, CNN Senior Producer

Washington (CNN) - Several potential Republican candidates emphasized various themes important to social conservatives – a key constituency in Iowa – during speeches there at a conference of several hundred pastors.

On Thursday night, former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee told the Rediscover God in America event, held in West Des Moines, that the country is in a battle pitting good against evil.

"I pray that God will raise up spiritual warriors who will say America will not fall – that we will not let this nation fall to the hands of those that will enslave us. This battle is one that pits good against evil. There are things that are right and there are things that are wrong and the great battle that we will live or die by to preserve this nation is one in which we identify and then we fight for until the last breath – that there are some things that are holy and pure and that are just," he said.

"I still want you to understand fully that the greatness of this nation and the hope and future of this nation is not dependent on who we elect in a human position as much as it is that the pastors of this nation on their faces before God then on their feet before their people bring fire to their pulpits and bring revival to this great land and remind us whose people we are and we say we will never fall again," he told the group.

Read the full story
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Culture wars • Politics

1. Frederica

Q, I'm so thoroughly blocked I can't say a thing here.

March 30, 2011 at 12:37 am |
    • Q

Your posts contain a word which is triggering the auto-moderation function on these threads. Reality posts a list now and then of these words (e.g. "t-it", like in ent-ity or const-itution). It's very frustrating I know, but it's something we all have to navigate around...

March 30, 2011 at 2:55 am |
    • Frederica

Q, thank you for understanding. I wasted so many lengthy comments of mine. Please know that there were answers to your comments.

March 30, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  2. Frederica

Karin, Christianity is the only evidential faith. Logic developed in Christendom alone. You didn't get it because you weren't smart enough. Try again.

March 29, 2011 at 8:43 am |
    • Q

The values underpinning the U.S. were derived from many sources (e.g. Athenian Greece, etc) and the "biblical values" you keep referring to are so ambiguous as to only have meaning in your mind. The only notable value from the bible is the golden rule which itself was borrowed. Logic also developed well before Christ ever made an appearance. And you keep insisting everyone else isn't smart enough to really understand? Evidential faith in the supernatural is truly an oxymoron...

March 29, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  3. Karin

It boggles my mind when attempting to understand the good versus evil dilemma religion suffers from. Don't these followers understand that they hold a belief system that requires (faith). Do they understand what the word (faith) means. Look it up! Faith belief = no evidence required! No god has ever entered a mind that could be proven! Stating that a holy book that self-promotes itself as evidence is nuts! I will not sit idly by when a group of individuals state that outsiders are evil if they don't adopt their (faith based) beliefs. I have read these holy books they hold so precious. Cover to cover. All have been absolutely horrid! Ideals I would never adopt! How dare anyone call me evil because I don't throw away logic for a faith based belief system!!! It is these people that show a similarity to (evil). Not I.

March 29, 2011 at 8:24 am |
  4. Dan

Speech translation: "I want to sound pro-religion without actually talking about anything specific."

March 29, 2011 at 5:51 am |
  5. Reality

Saving 1.5 billion lost Muslims:
    There never was and never will be any angels i.e. no Gabriel, no Islam.

Saving 2 billion lost Christians:
    There was and never will be any bodily resurrections i.e. No Easter, no Christianity.

Saving 15.5 million Orthodox followers of Judaism:
    Abraham and Moses never existed.

Added details upon request.

March 29, 2011 at 12:10 am |
  6. LoneZero

i get the dreaded waiting for moderation post =/

you haven't acknowledged anything I've showed you, I've shown you through facts that the US was not founded on christian beliefs, that the founding fathers were deist therefore not christian ancestors, given quotes from your own bible on equal treatments of men and woman under God which isn't fair at all. instead showing your facts you say this?

"The West has been Christian until decades ago though you may not remember"

Christianity is still the leading religion in the west and world wide and has been for decades it's never gone away ans possibly never will, though Muslim is coming in close as 2nd leading religion.

"all the good ideals are from the Bible"

Once again not true, I've quoted many scriptures on discrimination, i haven't even started on sacrifice, slavery, stoning disobeying children, killing people who work on a Sunday (sabbath) but in stride there always bad with good as much as there is bad inside the bible there are good ideals inside it which is the point I'm attempting to make.

"You guys are systematically fooled by activists"

What possible activists can do that? Any names or groups?

I'm not trying to turn you away from Christianity because we both know that will never happen. The point I'm trying to make is not everybody outside the christian faith is bad, or immoral or all those other put downs you have used on everyone who is not in your faith from history to now it's take a great deal of people from many cultures and faiths to fight, protest, vote, the works just to earn what we have now and some take for granted. I've studied history and religion and though I'm not perfect and tend to make mistakes i know a great deal. Christianity has been an ally and an enemy through out history depending on the person and who used it for what. to say so arrogantly that only Christians made the world what it is today while condemning others so harshly at the same time when when it truth it took many people with many beliefs to do it.

you should take your own advice and study your bible and try studying others too you'll never know what you'll learn when you have an open mind. US history is secular because we have a freedom of religion that grants you and me to believe in whatever we want no matter how crazy it may seem to one another is it really such a bad thing?

March 28, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
    • Frederica

LoneZero, if you are really educated, make your writing shorter, please. Founding Fathers and American heroes could not have come to the noble, constructive ideas without the Bible or Judeo-Christian values. The harsh laws were for treasons. Read the context. National traitors get execution today in most nations. You are not reading the Bible properly though your forefathers knew what it meant. Also, you Americans got much from Christian British. You non-believers are trying to equate Christianity with other things or diminish its influence to minimum but it's futile. I hope you could realize the Western Civilization was nothing if without Christianity.

March 29, 2011 at 12:33 am |
    • Frederica

LoneZero, please reply me in shorter writing, one item at a time. I will answer your question on the Bible with best of my ability.

March 29, 2011 at 12:44 am |
  7. Frederica

LoneZero, you need to realize my replies to you are not reaching you. Study both the Bible and US history. You'll know all the good ideals are from the Bible. You guys are systematically fooled by activists. Truth cannot be hidden, though.

March 28, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
  8. Frederica

CNN does not want religious people to appear having intelligent answers.

March 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
    • Q

I think you give yourself far too much credit...

March 29, 2011 at 2:08 pm |