home
RSS
March 28th, 2011

Tiny church finds original King James Bible

By Richard Allen Greene, CNN

Hilmarton, England (CNN) - A little English village church has just made a remarkable discovery.

The ornate old Bible that had been sitting in plain view on a table near the last row of pews for longer than anyone could remember is an original King James Bible - one of perhaps 200 surviving 400-year-old original editions of arguably the most important book ever printed in English.

In fact, the Bible at St. Laurence Church in Hilmarton, England, was sitting right under a hand-lettered sign saying it was an original.

The sign said it had been found in "the parish chest" in 1857, that the cover had been added, and that it was the second of the two impressions published in 1611 - the year of first publication.

But no one knew whether to believe it, parish council member Geoff Procter said. As the anniversary of publication in 1611 approached, they decided it was worth investigating.

"We had no way of knowing whether it really was a 1611 Bible so we had to get it verified somehow," he said.

He and two other church members took it to a specialist, the Rev. David Smith at the Museum of the Book in London.

Smith knew immediately what he was looking at, Procter said.

"We put it on his table and he opened it and immediately he said, 'Yes, this is a 1611 Bible,'" Procter remembered.

Geoff Procter of St. Laurence Church in Hilmarton, England, reads from the church’s King James Bible.

Smith identified it thanks to a printing error - a place in the Gospel of Matthew that should say Jesus entered the Garden of Gethsemane and spoke to his disciples instead says that Judas, who betrayed Jesus, entered the garden.

That the St. Laurence Bible had that error, but not another one in the Book of Ruth, enabled Smith to pinpoint exactly when the book had been printed, Procter explained.

"We realized that this is quite an important find," he said, and last month the church quietly announced the discovery in the diocese newsletter.

They hesitated before going public, Procter said.

"It was one of those discoveries that we wondered if we should tell everybody or tell nobody," he said. "And we thought that as it was the 400th anniversary, we should talk about it."

St. Laurence Church is far from the only one talking about the King James Bible this year - the Globe Theatre in London is planning a reading of the whole thing in the days before Easter, and a literary festival has already done one. Cambridge University has an exhibition, and the King James Bible Trust lists dozens of special events planned this year to mark the anniversary.

The reason is simple, said Moira Goff of the British Library.

The King James Bible is "so embedded in us that we can't overstate the significance of it," she said.

It's the source of dozens of phrases and concepts that have become part of the English language - "an eye for an eye," "born again," "eat, drink and be merry," "God forbid."

The church recently discovered that its old Bible was a rare 400-year-old original King James Bible.

Experts point out that the King James is based on at least two earlier major English translations, so its creators were editors as much as originators of these phrases, but it is the King James Bible that the great English writers knew, Goff said.

"It's passed entirely into the English language, into the thinking of English speakers around the world," she said.

Its influence has been greater than that of Shakespeare, she argued.

"I think it's permeated the language in ways that we can't count as we can count Shakespeare, influencing people's religious thinking, influencing people's social thinking in a way that Shakespeare probably does now - but that's a more recent development," she said.

"It's the Bible that was read to people in church every week," she explained. "The great literary figures from the early 17th century onwards, this was their daily reading. It passed into their works," she said, citing John Milton and John Bunyan among others.

But the King James Bible shouldn't be reduced to merely its influence on writers, she said.

"I think we have to be very careful in looking at the Bible only as a work of literature. It is also Holy Scripture and I think that makes it a different sort of book than the great works of literature," she said. "It will be read by people who will possibly never read Shakespeare or Milton."

The St. Laurence discovery is very unusual, she said. Perhaps 200 copies of the 1611 printings of King James Bibles are known to exist, she estimated. No one knows how many were printed, she added, but she guessed that the number was probably around 1,000.

Most of the surviving copies are in institutions, such as major libraries at universities, colleges and cathedrals in the United Kingdom and United States, she said.

"Some of them may be in private collections," she added, saying there is no way to know how many such copies there might be.

The sign hanging above the Bible, announcing its origins.

The St. Laurence discovery is technically a fragment, not a Bible, since it is missing a few pages (including most of the first pages of Genesis, up to chapter 4, verse 17) and has been trimmed at the top to fit the wooden cover added in Victorian times.

But it fits a pattern, she said. As King James Bibles got old and needed to be replaced, many were tucked away as church treasures, as seems to have happened with the St. Laurence Bible.

The people of St. Laurence Church are now trying to raise money to build a special case so they can keep their Bible in use and on regular display.

That would make the church more or less unique so far as Goff knows, although she speculated that there just might be a few village churches still using their 400-year-old Bibles.

"It's possible there are one or two churches that have gone on doing it and they just haven't thought to say," she said.

"People are now beginning to realize the value of this particular edition. This is the 400th anniversary and there is a lot more emphasis on it," she said.

"They value it. They want to keep it and they want to use it."

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Bible • Books • Christianity • Easter • Houses of worship • United Kingdom

soundoff (1,211 Responses)
  1. divejoy

Uh, I for an eye is in the old testament. eye for an eye tooth for a tooth

March 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • David in Seattle

That is an exact translation of the Hebrew.

March 28, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Kell

Yes, it was old testiment. But before the King James Bible (and the other few English translations), it was in Hebrew, Greek, or Latin, not English, so it wasn't "Eye for an eye" until King James....

March 28, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • aurora

the Old Testament is part of the King James Bible. it became regularly used in ENGLISH thanks to this translation

March 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • Drew Kazee

If it is an 1611, it won't have Jesus, it will be "Iesus"

March 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • freewords

With love you cannot have eye for eye and tooth for tooth. Jesus the incarnate God did change the understanding of humanity, offering Himself for faults and sins of others, and conquering death and rose on the third day.

March 28, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • Smite Me

Too bad that an atheist has to explain your book to you, but here goes:

The "eye for an eye..." edict came from the practice of having punishments that were too harsh in those barbaric times. It means, NO MORE than an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth may be used as punishment... however crude, rude and uncultured they were about stating it.

March 29, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
  2. Allah o Akbar

a fake book, repent and convert to Islam before Allah runs out of virgins for you.

March 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Joe

ShUT UP!! I killll you! I kill YOU!

March 28, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • nowpepe nwanjesus

@ Allah o Akbar..hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, There is no name in HEAVEN OR EARTH given to men whereby we might be saved except the name of JESUS CHRIST...Jesus is the only True and only GOD,he is the way ,the truth and the life,NO man goes to God just like that without passing through God himself which is JESUS CHRIST....Bless you friend.

March 29, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

@ nowpepe nwanjesus: And you know this how? You sound like you need some medication...

March 29, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Smite Me

Now, now kiddies, play nice with your imaginary superheroes, or we will have to take them away from both of you.

March 29, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

@Smite Me: What do you mean " imaginary superheroes " ???

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is REAL !!!!!!!

March 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  3. pat carr

excellent! 400 year old bird cage liner

March 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Joe

Allah was gay you get 70 big fat hair men if you die for him or the women are all look alikes of Rosana Bar.

March 28, 2011 at 4:15 pm |

Sweetheart...JESUS IS LORD.

March 29, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

nowpepe nwanjesus: Lord of what, exactly?

March 29, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  4. Ieat

so if a 400 year old Confucius scroll is found laying out in open for years, would that not be an important finding or story?

I'm sorry for those who are so anti-religion to find this a non-story. Religion played a role in every country, every race, and every history. It is what it is.

March 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Sarah

Well said. I'm a Christian, but my interest in this story stems from being a bibliophile, not my religious beliefs.

March 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Norm

Yes...and these are the same people that would pay millions of dollars for an old comic book, so it needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

March 28, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  5. Dan

The Bible, despite what you make of it personally, is actually a fantastic read.

And one thing people who know nothing about Christianity fail to acknowledge when pointing out all the "bad" stuff in the Bible is the stark difference between Old Testament and New Testament texts.

If you like mythological stories.. read the OT. If you want a lesson in virtue, NT.

March 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • nowpepe nwanjesus

Hey... you dont just read the Bible because you want people to know that you read it...READ IT WITH SINCERITY, open up your inner mind, then the spirit of Gof (Holy Spirit) will reveal himself to you sweetheart...Bless you Dan.

March 29, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  6. jude

most important book? no it isnt! i have to say the most important books would be from Copernicus, Galileo, Shakespeare, Newton. those are people who gave us the scientific revolution and some of the greatest works in literature. what has a bible done to society? brainwash, corrupt and fight scientific advancement and free thinking at every turn.

March 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Mr. Bones

Exactly...the fact that it's been the center of so much conflict makes it important. It didn't say "most wonderful, always-positive influence on humanity." It said "most important" as in "this text has had a massive impact on human history, from wars to literature, from art to entire political systems; all have been heavily informed by this text." Isaac Newton was a believer, too, you know. A total heretic for his time, but a believer in God nonetheless. Just because you don't like what it says doesn't mean it hasn't had an incredible influence.

I mean, I can't stand Coldplay, but I'm not gonna deny that there's about a million bands right now that sound exactly like 'em.

March 28, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • nowpepe nwanjesus

Heyyy JUDE...GOD HIMSELF GAVE THEM KNOWLEDGE...THE GOD OF THE BIBLE...

March 29, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  7. Judgement

“I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” ~Albert Camus

I call it being better safe than sorry. I have nothing to loose. :o)

March 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Ah, but if you take Pascal's wager then you must live your life trying to appease myriad other Gods because THEY might be correct as well.
      But the Abrahamic God is a jealous one and won't let you cover your butt when it comes to any other deity.
      Personally, I plan to bribe Anubis into falsifying the weight of my feather.

March 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • AZLib

Good for you! We are different. I consider life a true blessing. I live it for all that I can and I do it "my way". I hurt no others, I help others, but I am not pure. When the end comes and I have not followed all the rules then I accept the reward that I have earned. Just sort me in a room with all the other like me and it will be fine. For those who spend your life looking forward to death I wish you well... me I'm making this one and only chance a true wonderful experience and trying everything once.... My bucket list is empty and that is the way it should be....(humble opinion).

March 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • Judgement

@AZlib.....I like the words you speak. You sound like a very level headed person. Please don't confuse my spirituality with religion. I kind of live like you do. I don't listen to the word of man, I listen to whats in my heart. Kinda sucks that you assume I live an uneventful life, because I love my life. I am a very, very happy person. Truly happy.

But I do not believe that when it's time to cash in the chips, I will share the same eternal fate (worm food) as, let's say, Charlie Manson or Adolf Hitler. I do believe our soul to continue after we quit sucking wind.

I smiled as I read your words. You sound like a good person. That's rare these day's. Please, keep living your life to it's fullest.....as will I, I can assure you. Peace. 🙂

March 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • pat carr

"loose. "

yes there is a lot to "LOSE" starting with spelling ability

March 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Judgement

@pat carr.....I've always been a terrible speller, so no, I haven't lost anything. Peace. 🙂

March 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Pumbaa

You don't have to believe in a God to live your life as if there is a God. It is called Karma, AKA or what goes around comes around. Do not do to other people what you do not want them to do to you. If you don't believe in a magic sky daddy do you think you fool him by going to a Church and going thru the motions?

March 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • nowpepe nwanjesus

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Judgment...YOU ARE SO RIGHT..................GOD EXISTS..its only a fool that says, there is no GOD...if there are so many evil spirits and gods that torment people, we should have ALMIGHTY GOD too....but one day is coming when they will cry out...Had i known, but then it will to late...thanks my dear.

March 29, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
    • nowpepe nwanjesus

Bless you judgment...that is the best thing to do dear...

March 29, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  8. jp

It doesn't appear that anyone had used it very much, my 10 year old bible is worn out !

March 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  9. Joe

ok, now that all these religions are under attack the church magically pulls a Older bible out of its coffers THe just in case bible as if reading this one will be any different that all the other make believe stories.

March 28, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • nowpepe nwanjesus

Hey JOE, whether you like it or not....the BIBLE IS TRUE AND THE WORD OF GOD OK??? bless you friend..

March 29, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  10. EricLr

If the King James version was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me.

March 28, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Pumbaa

Jesus read it daily, gave up Judaism and became a Christian. That was before he went to Utah to preach to the lost tribe.

March 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • nowpepe nwanjesus

Wow......I like King James too, its the first translated Bible, and its wonderful.......

March 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  11. Jesus said "Go"

Sum Dude: you sound like a guy in the Bible named Paul.......

March 28, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Sum Dude

You mean Paul was an atheist too? Strange, I hadn't heard of anything like that....

March 28, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • nowpepe nwanjesus

Hahahahahahaha, YOU KNOW ONE THING?,,,,people just read the Bible and think they understand what it says....THE WORD OF GOD WHICH IS THE BIBLE is foolishness to them that perisheth, ONLY THE SPIRIT OF GOD WILL CONVINCE ANYONE............JESUS IS LORD AND GOD...Halleluyah...wow

March 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  12. Albiem

It appears all the Athiests and Christ bashers read CNN. Quelle suprise!

March 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  13. The Truth

I do no need to think for myself...I just do what the Bible tells me to do...and my life is simple...I believe in God because they tell me too...and if I do not believe I will go to hell...I do not want that to happen so I believe...I also believe the Cubs will win the World Series this year...my brain is so small and simple...

March 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • John

And your post proves it.....

March 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • nowpepe nwanjesus

Hahahahahahahahahaha...the truth, i like you,hahahahahahaha bless you dear.

March 29, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  14. j

Wow! A real bible autographed by Jesus! Amazing find!

March 28, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  15. Joe

More church propaganda.

March 28, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • nowpepe nwanjesus

Thanks Endure..preach the word bless you for that,,,,,,,JESUS IS LORD !!!

March 29, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  16. elliemae

So, it's an original version of a book that vastly rewrote and reinterpreted the original texts? I'm not seeing the value in this. Seems like a religion's holy text should be based on texts written at the time of the savior rather than 1,500 years later. I'm not sure how accurate any of us would be writing about the year 500.

March 28, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Socks

Oh please, since there are 200 copies, we already know what it said. It's cool as a 400 year old book, no matter what it says!

March 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • endure

You know, some date the Gospels as early as 60 AD, only about 27 years after Christ's death. It is also impressive that before these true stories about Jesus were written down (in that 27-30 year period) Christians would sort of have "story time" and orally present the events we find in the Gospels, and there was absolutely no room for fluffing up the story or saying something false because during that time, people who actually witnessed Jesus' ministry were still alive and would have quickly corrected the mistakes.

March 28, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • endure

...and to add to that, we have access to over 5,000 Greek manuscripts (the original language of the New Testament) which testify to the veracity of our current translations. The English Bible you see has actually been faithfully translated from the original Greek language into English. People who say that the Bible must be corrupt because 2,000 years have passed since the events of Jesus' ministry are hypothesizing and have no grounds for such claims. Should we also doubt the accuracy of contemporary historians of Jesus' day? The Gospel writers were historians, check out the Gospel of Luke. You'd be surprised at how impeccably accurate his Gospel is (geography, politics of his time) and the Book of Acts.

March 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Tommas

Endure, do you have any idea how long people lived 2,000 years ago. 25-30 was the average lifespan.

March 28, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Magic

"do you have any idea how long people lived 2,000 years ago. 25-30 was the average lifespan."

Yeah, Jesus would have had more cred. if he had lived to be 983 years old.

March 28, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • Magic

p.s. ... and if he had learned to write.

March 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • endure

I am not at all surprised by that short life expectancy. However that is an average lifespan (and as we know an average doesn't account for outliers). Does that necessarily disprove what I wrote? Certainly the lives of witnesses would have over-lapped during that time with the lives of their faithful successors.

I think we often make the mistake of associating antiquity with error. It is as if the old age of something automatically makes it untrustworthy. Doesn't common logic lead us to think that the opposite is true? Shouldn't we be far more skeptic of something that is new rather than something that is thousands of years old and has endured faithfully for that long?

March 28, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Michael

I'm planning to drive up Sunday and hope 2 or 3 will drive to Sacramento with me. Might stay over in tent city if possbile, my sleeping bag is there already. Will bring food from my fridge. Let me know who wants to drive up with me.Peace,Ingrid526-2900

December 15, 2012 at 2:38 am |
  17. angelika

I agree and disagree. The Bible has been re created by human kind. Jesus never wrote anything down. It was done by his diciples , (If they were literated), if not many, many years later translated. So we never know for sure whether o not all these bible stories are indeed true! Blessed assurance for those who believe!

March 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • nowpepe nwanjesus

Heyyyyyyyy Angelika...The Bible is true and is Gods word my dear....

March 29, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  18. AZLib

Somebody should take time and compare for changes between this on and those currently on sale.

March 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • ck1721

They already have, that's how we can verify the accuracy of current bibles. They did the same with the Dead Sea Scrolls and verified the accuracy of Bibles/Torahs today.

March 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • mb2010a

ck1721: You need to research the Dead Sea scrolls a bit more. They directly contradict the Bible...They were written before
      the New Testament and Jesus BTW.

March 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Lycidas

@mb2010a- Not all of the Dead Sea scrolls date before the Time of Jesus. In fact, it would be better to say that the authors of them were contemporaries of Jesus in a large part.

And what I think they meant also was that the scrolls that feature books from the TANAKH are virtually identical with the books today.

March 28, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Elflander

Good God! Do you people suppose that the current text appeared out of a historical vacuum?

So far as textual transmission and fidelity are concerned, the finding of this 400 year-old printing is irrelevant. There is a science of textual criticism that surpasses these considerations by leaps and bounds, based upon ancient "families" of scribal traditions from different parts of the world. The original can be fairly reconstructed by tracing and comparing these traditions, determining common sources, etc. This is not even to mention actual extant manuscripts of the New Testament–in whole or in part–that date to the first few Christian centuries, and extensive quotations in the writings of the Church Fathers, which run all the way back to the days when the generation contemporary to the alleged events of the New Testament were still alive.

This is just one example that show the low caliber of popular atheistic arguments, as some here suggest that "the Church" has monkeyed with the text so that anything like the original is currently irretrievable. There may be compelling intellectual objections to religious belief, but they are likely too complicated for adolescent atheists of the sort who post nonsense in places like this.

March 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • ck1721

Actually, I was initially comparing old bibles to new bibles. The dead sea scrolls verified info in the old testament (Hence the reference to the Torah), and although there were some differences, the vast majority of the info was consistent. I'm not basing all info on wikipedia, but read some more on it yourself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_sea_scrolls#Significance_to_the_Canon_of_the_Bible

March 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • Sum Dude

@Elflander – No one has said here that the problem is mis-translations. Troll.

March 28, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  19. Descarado

Even as a Catholic, one cannot deny the gorgeous language of The King James version nor its enormous influence on the English speaking world! Bravo! And one cannot help but chuckle at the self-important proclamations of today's evangelical atheists that appear in some of these posts.

March 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Eric SF

@ descarado What the heck is an evangelical atheist?

March 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Frank

Well put. I love 'The evangelical atheists" label.

March 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • VitruviannMan

evangelical atheist, YES! I knew they existed!

March 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Norm

Who cares if they believe in God or not. I don't recall anyone asking or telling them it's required.
      People that feel the need to renounce God have mental issues.
      These are the same people that complain about conservatives doing it to them.
      Just go away....

March 28, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • pat carr

"People that feel the need to renounce God have mental issues.
      Just go about your business and stop trying to tell others how to live their lives."

It always amazed me how christians can force their garbage down your throat and that's ok, but when we oppose this, suddenly we're the ones trying to tell others "how to live their lives". Shame on you, arrogant hypocrites.

do you really think we're all going to have "believe in jesus or you go to hell" pushed on us and be quiet about it? then be told we need to be tolerant?

March 28, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • pat carr

"People that feel the need to renounce God have mental issues."

yes and those that believe in an invisible man in the sky, yeah sure those are bedrocks of mental stability.....

March 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Lycidas

"It always amazed me how christians can force their garbage down your throat and that's ok"

And who is doing that on here? If you did not notice this is "Faith Now" not Faith Never.

March 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Sum Dude

Lycidass, you can't see the truth that is right in front of your eyes. Sad.

March 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
    • Lycidas

Sum Dude-I see the truth fine, you are a wannabe intellectual that feel they need to go on a specific religious story and try to convince others that you are smart because you don't believe in God. It's not very complex, just like you.

March 28, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  20. D. elbert

What I am wondering is how the paper could last that long

March 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • dunno

It was printed at Kinko's..

March 28, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • VitruviannMan

It's a miracle!!

March 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Gezellig

The paper made then may have been naturally, or purposely, acid free. A lot of the books made in recent years have a high acid content, causing them to yellow and deteriorate. If you want to have a newspaper clipping preserved, for example, you need to have the acid neutralized.

March 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Slen

Paper made from Hemp can last thousands of years.

March 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • VitruviannMan

Gezellig & Slen, stop trying to dispute a proven miracle. If you don't believe in God that's fine, but you sound like evangelical Atheists when you get all scientific with facts.

March 28, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • pat carr

"but you sound like evangelical Atheists when you get all scientific with facts."

Evangelical Atheists? LMAO!!! Yes how dare we get all "scientific with facts". let's instead get all "miracle-ly and fantasy-ish"

March 28, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • VitruviannMan

Credit goes to Descarado for coining the term 🙂

March 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Gezellig

@VitruviannMan, I assume you are teasing. I am a Christian, but I have held a first edition of Hobbes Leviathan (1651), and it looked in pretty good shape to me. On the other hand, I have a paperback copy of Walden Two that B. F. Skinner signed for me that is yellow with age. I wonder if the books back then were just naturally acid free, or if they knowingly used a process where the books would not deteriorate; knowing that these types of books (such as church Bibles) would be expected to last a long time?

March 28, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Sum Dude

Hemp paper is excellent for printing. No one likes to mention that it's hemp paper because all the haters hate anything to do with hemp.

March 28, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • VitruviannMan

@Gezellig, I was trying to demonstrate how scientists feel when people talk about things like evolution or the age of the earth.

March 28, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • nowpepe nwanjesus

Its the hand of GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 29, 2011 at 5:39 pm |