home
RSS
Your take: Is American Muslim alienation valid?
Mohammad Ali Elahi, the imam at the Islamic House of Wisdom in Dearborn Heights, Michigan.
March 28th, 2011

Your take: Is American Muslim alienation valid?

Lots of provocative comments on our story about Muslims in one of the country's biggest and oldest Muslim enclaves feeling alienated in their own country. Many commenters are critical of American Muslims; many others sympathetic and supportive.

But the responses are all over the map and largely defy such easy categorization.

Here's a sampling:

Joe from Kalispell
The fact there is even a "Muslim Enclave" is scary. They already wanted to be separate to not be "polluted by American values." They are really pushing their First Amendment right because I am sure the Founding Fathers didn't mean to afford protection to a religion so opposed to our existence as is Islam.

JustAHuman
It is sad to see so much hate in this country and little education about other cultures and religions. In many instances we "Americans" bring destructions upon ourselves and we are blind to see why.

joe
These Muslims are safer in this country than anywhere else in the world. if they think they are unsafe here let them leave.

freeddoom
If you are really sick of them, then don't buy their oil, don't invade their countries, dont kill them, don't steal their land, don't prop up dictators to take their freedom away. I bet they have more reason to be sick of you buddy.

Maya
Islam literally means "submission" to God. Therefore, any human being that submits himself to God is considered to be following "Islam." what that means is, if you are a christian, who submits yourself to God, then you are in fact upholding Islam. You really do have to put the verse into context and understand the exact meanings. Here are a few verse for you to ponder upon:

"Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians – whoever believes in God and the Last Day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord. And there will be no fear for them, nor shall they grieve" (2:62, 5:69, and many other verses).

Kat
Reality, funny because the terrorists never say they do in the name of Islam or to convert people to Islam or force Islam on America. They only complain about the hostile US policies and wars, and its support to Israeli atrocities, many supporters belong to religious  believers who want to see Armageddon and end of the world.

I know the media and politicians tell you that it's all about religion to mute any serious discussion of the root cause of terror.

Wirius
I am not a Muslim. I am APPALLED at the people who profess to faith in God, their ignorant accusations against the Muslim population in America. There are millions of Muslims in America. Some are poor, some are wealthy. Some are devout, some aren't so devout. Some are saints, some are sinners. Muslims are people, just like you and I. The good Muslim, which is the majority, seeks to better theirs, and others lives around them. Don't let the extremists paint your view of many good people. Don't let the fact that third world dictatorships use the Muslim religions blind you to how terrible Christianity was when it was tied to the king. In short, religious people should be showing support and care for the Muslims in our community.

Irritated
I am a Muslim WHITE AMERICAN who can trace family roots back to the 13 original colonies you idiot. This is my country. Accept it.

sassypants
Sick and evil! I will never trust them. I will forever remember Nic, Daniel Pearl, and the victims of 09.11 and countless others who have died at the hands of these monsters. I am angry at whoever created this mess by allowing this cult in the door. Immigration control – Yesterday!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Islam • Michigan

1. Muneef

America is the land of opportunity, where people of different ethnicity and nationality together share a common land. Muslims and Jews have a chance here for better understanding of one another and for participating in activities that would bring mutual benefits to both communities.

March 31, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
  2. Muneef

For Muslims and Non Muslims to Read;

March 31, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
  3. Muneef

Thus, Islam bases people's relational conduct on kindness. Hence, it condemns intolerance, prejudice and bigotry, and rejects discrimination based on color, creed, national origin or religion.
    The Muslim acceptance applies to all elements of life and must reflect in all of the Muslim's affairs. The teaching of Islam towards proper behavior, anger control, patience, treatment of spouse, parent, neighbor, the young and the old, the friend, the enemy, the environment and specifically the People of the Book are evident in the Holy Qur'an and the life and example of the Prophet Muhammad (p).
    In calling people to the Islamic Faith, for example, a Muslim must be wise, sensitive, humble and considerate. The Qur'an teaches:
    "Invite (all) to the way of your Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and discuss with them in ways that are best and most gracious." Qur'an, 16:25.

March 31, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • Mairo

Salaam and Thanks very much for your contribution Muneef, more people need to have a better understanding of these things.

April 1, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  4. Masa D. Luffy

And I am also fully aware that muslims just like any other religion have people of various ethnicities, skin colors, what have you. I feel like I have to triple post and add disclaimers because people are f–king jackals and love to pounce on anything they can contrive as politically incorrect.

March 31, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  5. Masa D. Luffy

And when I say funny looking people, I mean that in the least offensive way possible. I like Muslims. I'm sure to some they look funny, but that's their problem not mine.

March 31, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  6. Masa D. Luffy

You idiots can complain all you want about muslims not belonging in America. Facts are facts, the founding fathers ensured the freedom of religion. To deny what the founding fathers had in mind is to deny being an American. Just sounds to me that people are scared of brown people with towels for head wear. I for one, am unintimidated by that. Grow a pair and deal with the funny looking people.

March 31, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  7. Nodack

I don't follow any faith because I believe they are all man made cults. Having said that I believe every person should have their right to follow whatever religion or non religion they choose and American Muslims have just as much right to follow their religion as any Christian does because that's what America is all about. Freedom of religion, not just freedom of Christian religion.

Many Americans see what a few Muslims have done and condemn the whole religion based off that. The Oklahoma bomber was an ex US military Christian. Does that mean all Christians are terrorists?

March 31, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  8. Shockwave

I have no concern if a bunch wants to come to this country to breathe the sweet air of freedom. We have freedom of religion here, and that includes newcomers like the Muslims. And I'll even go so far as to say that that freedom lets you stay apart from the rest of the country if you like - consider the Mormons for example.

However. The moment you decide that YOUR religion requires you to push YOUR religion on everyone else, be it Sharia or be it dominionist whatever, then you and all who believe like you are my mortal enemy. If you want to live where XYZ is how society lives, go there. In THIS country, we believe in the freedom of speech and the freedom of religion. And that freedom precludes allowing any bunch to cram their "own true way" down everyone's throat, be it through a court order or through a gun barrel.

If you wish to enjoy the freedoms of this country, stand up for them and I'll be proud to call you a fellow American, no matter what your color or creed. If you wish to enjoy a model theocracy, then move to one, because we aren't going to tolerate it here.

March 31, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  9. vova

Let Muslims vent their anger where they can, however i would appreciate them venting it at the islamic terrorists which they for whatever reason fail to condemn. I do not see the reason objecting to them here or anywhere. It's not a sin in their religion to lie to infidels, why should we trust to anything they say

March 31, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • Muneef

Read please;

March 31, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
  10. Buddy Love

Not alienated enough...

March 31, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  11. flava

we r all human beings do good and good will always follow you

March 31, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  12. Phil in Oregon

I remember just a few years ago the only complaint about religion was that Christians were pushing their religion on others. Now the complaint is that the Muslims are FORCING their religion on others at gunpoint, killing anyone who stands n their way or even insults them. Let's go back to the Baptist preachers – at least we can turn them off without worrying about getting blown up.

March 31, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • jagat

Who? My Muslim neighbor never came to my house and pointed a gun at my face and forced me to pray! Remember there is a difference between real Islam and what these evil dictators in other countries are calling "Islam". We have laws in this country that protect us from these evil people. Many Muslims today are able to pursue their religion with all the beauty and peace it originally had here without fear of being punished, much like our Pilgrims. What if fundamentalist Christians were beheading people in Africa? Would we march down to the nearest United Methodist church and burn it down? Of course not! To compare American Islam with what is being taught by the Taliban is insanity.

March 31, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  13. flava

its amazing hoW people really are their thougts and feelings and dont know their history thats y these politicians cAN TELL U ANYTHING AND BELIVE u THEM and we get fuc over again again when wite people were killing the indans from their land it was ok when they were killing black people it was ok the american chenise its ok but when mc vaie biomb the federal buildings no one saide to the white people get out lol

March 31, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  14. MWH250BP

If I join an ideological crowd and look down upon others and ghettoize myself–Am I alienated? THINK!

March 31, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  15. Muneef

Any one here speaks German and can tell us what the Lady on the news desk saying ??

March 31, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  16. Greg

How many Muslim countries are there? How many Protestant? Church of England is not truly Protestant because it was born by Henry the VIII not from Martin Luther or John Calvin dissension. The US doesn't even have a Protestant on the Supreme Court even though The US Has been predominantly Protestant. If the Muslims follow their mirror image, Catholicism, the Jewish, Catholic and, Muslims will have more political say. Big organized religion has to many advantages in the democratic process.

March 31, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  17. Andy Kulp

Until 9-11 we had no mention of Muslims and no problems. Everyday this religion of peace is in the press with another complaint or an issue concerning their Islamic law. It is strange how they come here to be free but then want to implement change to our culture. You would think they are here to conquer and not become Americans. We all know this can't be true because the President and the media report what a great loving people they are even as they build the new Mecca at ground zero. Even now the Muslim Brotherhood is on the Whitehouse goodguy list. It is obvious we are all misinformed intolerant people.

March 31, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  18. conradshull

Where ever Islam bumps up against other countries, cultures or religions there is friction, often a lot of it. Form you own opinion why.

March 31, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • jagat

Same can be said of Christianity. Take a history class.

March 31, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  19. Dbrown

We have large numbers of muslims living in our communties? Who knew? After 9/11 I didn't hear from hardly any of these vocal residents at all except for some lame utterings by the head of CAIR. When it came to condemnation of terrorism or the terrorists from the muslim community living among us, the sound of crickets chirping on a hot summer night in Georgia would be volumes louder.

March 31, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • jagat

Why should the mosque down the street answer for a bunch of deranged murderers? They had nothing to do with this crap 1/2 way around the world. These terror groups are using Islam to do what? SCARE YOU. Yes, that's right. They are hijacking the Muslim's religion to create havoc and split the country into some kind of religious war. And it is obviously working.

March 31, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • SK

I see a lot of people suggesting why their neighborhood muslims don't come out and condemn. I also don't see the neighborhood christians coming out and condemning wrong doings of christians of this world.
      Granted that every community has their evil ones you can't expect the rest to apologize for them.

March 31, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  20. HillClimber

No wonder people get confused. "Muslim-Americans feel isolated in their own country." Their own country is not America and I'm getting very irritated by these weird attempt to convince me of something. I agree wholeheartedly with the First Amendment and anyone is free to practice their own religion – but I don't want to hear about it. I don't want rags on heads, or imported people on my land. I've seen enough Orthodox Jews all dressed in black with long braids and beards – they may be the exception, but rag heads? Come on – who is allowing these people access to my country and why haven't we stopped access? Off my land, off my roads, out of my schools, and out of my pocket. I'm an American, an American Citizen, and this is my country and I have no desire to share it. Get out interlopers – get out now.

March 31, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Are you OK with Native Americans wearing feathered headgear? Why don't you conform to their ways?

March 31, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • :(

there are plenty of American citizens who are Muslim and have as much of a right to 'your' country as you.

Why do you care about other people's clothes?

March 31, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • jagat

I'm not a Muslim and I wear a headscarf. My family has been here for centuries and I am ethnically white. Does that mean I have to leave my own country? Would it really matter if I were Muslim, atheist or Christian wearing a "rag on my head"? Bet you couldn't tell the difference.

March 31, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Nodack

Hillclimber, you give people a bad name. You don't like people that wear turbans on their heads? Who cares? I don't like intolerant people like you, but you have just as much right to be here as anyone else, so I'll put up with you. I don't like Rap music, but who cares what I like? I don't expect them to ban Rap music because I'm not a fan.

March 31, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • turk07

@HillClimber
      Are you serious right now? Your country? How is it "your" country? Original Americas were slaughtered those to make way for: Russians, Italians, Germans, French, etc. etc. This isn't your country buddy any tax paying legal immigrant can become a citizent you are not special so chill. Not every muslim is a terrorist. I am one, but you can't even tell that I am just by looking at me. I dress like you I look like you I live like you. Learn the true meaning of Islam and judaism before you judge them. We are all gods children and we all have rights.

March 31, 2011 at 5:00 pm |