home
RSS
Your take: Is American Muslim alienation valid?
Mohammad Ali Elahi, the imam at the Islamic House of Wisdom in Dearborn Heights, Michigan.
March 28th, 2011

Your take: Is American Muslim alienation valid?

Lots of provocative comments on our story about Muslims in one of the country's biggest and oldest Muslim enclaves feeling alienated in their own country. Many commenters are critical of American Muslims; many others sympathetic and supportive.

But the responses are all over the map and largely defy such easy categorization.

Here's a sampling:

Joe from Kalispell
The fact there is even a "Muslim Enclave" is scary. They already wanted to be separate to not be "polluted by American values." They are really pushing their First Amendment right because I am sure the Founding Fathers didn't mean to afford protection to a religion so opposed to our existence as is Islam.

JustAHuman
It is sad to see so much hate in this country and little education about other cultures and religions. In many instances we "Americans" bring destructions upon ourselves and we are blind to see why.

joe
These Muslims are safer in this country than anywhere else in the world. if they think they are unsafe here let them leave.

freeddoom
If you are really sick of them, then don't buy their oil, don't invade their countries, dont kill them, don't steal their land, don't prop up dictators to take their freedom away. I bet they have more reason to be sick of you buddy.

Maya
Islam literally means "submission" to God. Therefore, any human being that submits himself to God is considered to be following "Islam." what that means is, if you are a christian, who submits yourself to God, then you are in fact upholding Islam. You really do have to put the verse into context and understand the exact meanings. Here are a few verse for you to ponder upon:

"Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians – whoever believes in God and the Last Day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord. And there will be no fear for them, nor shall they grieve" (2:62, 5:69, and many other verses).

Kat
Reality, funny because the terrorists never say they do in the name of Islam or to convert people to Islam or force Islam on America. They only complain about the hostile US policies and wars, and its support to Israeli atrocities, many supporters belong to religious  believers who want to see Armageddon and end of the world.

I know the media and politicians tell you that it's all about religion to mute any serious discussion of the root cause of terror.

Wirius
I am not a Muslim. I am APPALLED at the people who profess to faith in God, their ignorant accusations against the Muslim population in America. There are millions of Muslims in America. Some are poor, some are wealthy. Some are devout, some aren't so devout. Some are saints, some are sinners. Muslims are people, just like you and I. The good Muslim, which is the majority, seeks to better theirs, and others lives around them. Don't let the extremists paint your view of many good people. Don't let the fact that third world dictatorships use the Muslim religions blind you to how terrible Christianity was when it was tied to the king. In short, religious people should be showing support and care for the Muslims in our community.

Irritated
I am a Muslim WHITE AMERICAN who can trace family roots back to the 13 original colonies you idiot. This is my country. Accept it.

sassypants
Sick and evil! I will never trust them. I will forever remember Nic, Daniel Pearl, and the victims of 09.11 and countless others who have died at the hands of these monsters. I am angry at whoever created this mess by allowing this cult in the door. Immigration control – Yesterday!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Islam • Michigan

1. Che_Lives

White Christians haven't even apologized to Native Americans for cutting their hair and forcing them to convert to Christianity lol. So yeah – white christian terrorists and muslim terrorists should get together and go bowling.

March 29, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
    • Frederica

@Che: No one apologizes for any atrocities except Christians in this world. Pagans don't make apologies to other nations or races. Never. You Americans are thoroughly spoiled by kind Christians.

March 29, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  2. Frederica

Americans learned everything from the Christian British. They have nothing original, actually.

March 29, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
  3. Jay

Such nonsense. This country was founded by people who were fleeing religious persecution. And now people have the nerve to invoke the names of those same people in an effort persecute others for their religious beliefs. They are traitors to their country's core values.

March 29, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
  4. Frederica

Secular Americans are so mean. They don't accept anyone who is different from them.

March 29, 2011 at 9:29 pm |
    • Jay

Secular Americans are "mean"? Like killing an abortion doctor "mean", burning down a Planned Parenthood "mean", or protesting a soldier's funeral "mean"?

March 29, 2011 at 9:36 pm |
    • Frederica

Jay, stop talking about exceptions. All of you were "Christian" decades ago. You secular Americans hate religious people so bad though you guys are ignorant of almost every subject in schools.

March 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  5. knock knock

Ponchus the roman was g2let poor 0 JESUS go and the jews said crucify him!! And they asked 4 barnabas a killer. But if there GOD anything like my God i believe they wil b aite tho. Ty JESUS GLORY TO GOD. I PUT N0 FAITH N MAN. NOT EVEN MYSELF.

March 29, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  6. red white and blue

This country was founded on CHRISTIAN beliefs. Muslims don't practice Christian beliefs so they should not be allowed in to our country. Out they all go now!!!!!!!!!!!

March 29, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
    • paperjihad

Actually, the Treaty of Tripoli, signed by the Founding Fathers, expressly states this country is NOT founded on Christian beliefs. Do you know more about the founding of this great country than they?

March 29, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
    • JLS639

The country was founded on religious freedom. Go find a country where Christianity is the official religion if you don't like it.

March 29, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
    • Frederica

The West had nothing in its brain if Christianity didn't educate them. .

March 29, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
    • George

I have to agree. Our forefathers hated religion. You need to learn history. Most were Atheists, that's why they started a new country.

March 29, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
    • Mr Phil

The Treaty of Tripoli, Jefferson's Letter to the Danbury Baptists, and the First Amendment itself all prove that we WERE NOT founded as a "Christian" nation. Thanks for playing, but no consolation prize for you.

March 29, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
    • paperjihad

@George, I don't know if they hated religion, but I think they found it necessary to separate Church and state in order to sell the American Revolution. Kings held the notion of 'Divine Right', so rebellion against the King was rebellion against the Will of God. They had to divorce themselves from this concept in order to make the revolution sound like something that wasn't also apostasy. Just my 2 cents....

March 29, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
    • Jason Byron

Actually, America was built on a foundation of Freemasonry, which is absolutely NOT christian. Freemasonry prides itself on tolerance of all religions, which is why the puritans originally settled here. Yes, the puritans were christians...fanatical christians at that (or were they protestant?), but there were a significant number of Freemasons involved in actually "starting" America.

March 29, 2011 at 9:35 pm |
  7. 2bits

Any Muslim bashing is okay since they asked for it by NOT reprimanding the terrorists who attacked us in the name of their god. They still won't apologize for what the 911 terrorists did. They just keep getting ticked off that we think negatively of them and wonder why? Jeeze, maybe it's because all terrorists are Muslims.

March 29, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
    • paperjihad

"they" won't apologize? Who is supposed to apologize, exactly?

March 29, 2011 at 9:14 pm |
    • Muneef

What was that the Muslims benefit from such act? Look further than your own nose who had benefited from such act in order to break all the chains of protocols made with nations in order to be able to run like nuts bombing every where and stealing other nations drugs and wealths... Hatered and envy has blinded you from seeing who is the major player and benefiter here of that mess caused....
      An American Nation Operated by an Israelian Remote Control...what a shame...

March 29, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

I don't seem to recall American Christians like Peter King apologizing for and condemning the actions of the I.R.A...

March 29, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
    • paperjihad

Actually, Peter King has a history of endorsing the IRA. Which seems a bit ironic.

March 29, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
  8. knock knock

Islam? Thats the fake jews that askd4 barnabas the killer 2b released. The FATHERS of disobedience. its ashame it come on their children. dnt let them devils fool u.
    Spare the peacefull and kill alquada 0bama sin laden etc etc and how about them free elections n. Korea ? Rotf. We all devils aparently. its kool kill kill kill. Dnt 4get thats how u get to heaven. D0000pe. How u like me now. ? P.s. I aint that funny.

March 29, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
  9. Che_Lives

"PROUD AMERICAN", take your own advice and stop judging others because of THEIR chosen religion. Until you do, you'll continue to be judged yourself.

March 29, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
  10. paperjihad

A strange accusation...I"m an American Muslim, and I don't seek to alienate myself. However, it has been common throughout US history that immigrant groups set up their "Little China" and "Little Italys". So I guess if Muslims do the same, then they are "isolationists" and don't want to integrate? I'm not sure Muslims are getting equal treatment here....I think we can't really progress in this issue until we start to see something other than superficial attempts to understand Islam and Muslims. That will come, just as other immigrant groups have faced heat in the past.

March 29, 2011 at 9:04 pm |
  11. Jason Byron

I am openly anti-islam, but I am not one-sided. I am also deeply anti-christian and anti-semitic. All three of these monotheistic religions are based entirely on fantasy, and their interplay is responsible for more butchery, racism, fear, and intolerance than any natural disease or disaster possibly could. These jihad "warriors" might as well be fighting over Middle Earth. True, not every Muslim is a terrorist, but the book they endorse and the phantom god they worship is based on paranoia, delusion, and murder. Shame on every last one of you. Allah is a cancer, and cancer should be rooted out and destroyed so that the world organism could live. Amen.

March 29, 2011 at 9:04 pm |
    • Muneef

So you think of God as a cancer in disbelieve but still say Amen?? Well just hope God does not react to that what you have just said and gives it to you in return....be careful of what you say even if you disbelieve of some thing you know not of or so little of....so kindly ask forgiveness from God before you get it for real...

March 29, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
  12. Che_Lives

Steve, stfu you boil on the balls of a syphletic donkey

March 29, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
    • Steve

Your response just shows what I have written to be true. Look at what you wrote...................you are an example of a terrorist who will kill babies for Allah. Thank you for proving my point.

March 29, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
    • Muneef

Don't mess up with donkey's balls as you might get hurt being to big for you...

March 29, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
  13. Mohammad

We Muslim will stay here and will spread our message to all people of America.

March 29, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
    • BG

You're doing a fine job. Keep talking.

March 30, 2011 at 3:36 am |
    • misoislamic

Yo MO, good luck. The American people will never accept your way of life. What are you going to do? Strap on a bomb vest and force us to submit? I don't think so, dude. The more suicide bombers the better. One less muzzie to worry about. You don't scare us. You don't want to look into the can of worms you will open if you try to force your archaic society on us. Just a thought.

March 30, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
  14. Steve

These so called "Humans," who also call themselves MUSLIMS need to get out of the USA. We don't need terrorists and the filth of these people. If I was Jewish I would go to Israel and destroy these "people." Israel wants to live in Peace and all they get are Islamic terrorists trying to kill babies. The Muslim I believe is taught to kill children and non believers. Get out Islamists, you destroy everything you come in contact with. Stay away from the USA. When I hear Israel kills a terrorist I dance and hand out candy like these "Islamic people" did on 9/11.

March 29, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
    • Muneef

Black hearted Hater & invader you are seeing with one eye only...all the trouble and the deep sh...you are in at the moment is because of giving a land that you do not own to a nation that does not deserve....

March 29, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
  15. religion kills

Your all ah bunch of losers arguing over who has the beter imaginary friend. I've never met anyone that doesn't tell lies because peiple are inherintley liars. That means we all suck the same and your going into a hole in the ground for eternal sleep whether you like it or not. Everyone else that has a religious argument why don't you all make the world a better place and prove your right by killing yourself and seeing if your right you childish losers.

March 29, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
  16. Content2B

Islam is an abomination to all women and it started with Muhammed marrying a seven year old and bedding her when she was 9 years old.

March 29, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
    • Mr Phil

But you're OK with modern day Catholic priests fondling children? Or Christian ministers having liaisons with male boy toys or divorcing their wives (which is also forbidden in the Bible)? Or the fact that in certain fundamentalist Baptist churches women have to wear long skirts and long sleeves? Or Mormon tabernacles where women aren't allowed to participate in quite a few religious ceremonies (including Baptisms)? Those are OK, right?

March 29, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • Muneef

Go and find your self another story to talk about,we are no Catholics to excite us with such stories....am sure you must be a jealous gay...

March 29, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
  17. Unknown

I fear sometimes for my own safety here as a non-religious person seeing how the actions of individuals could put a stigma on an entire group. Yes I've heard the arguments of Stalin, Mao, ect...ect..., but in my opinion they were just psychopaths who were put into power, their religion had nothing to due with it. In fact, as I recall Hitler was a Catholic, but it would be an outrageous thing to say all Catholics are Nazis. I think people need an enemy to unite them for a common cause, especially in these uncertain times when anything can go wrong at any given moment.

March 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • Muneef

Unknown ??!
      So are you saying they for their need they have made of Islam an enemy as a cause to unite them??

March 29, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
    • Muneef

Unknown ??!

Have heard this story before about bringing Israel in to the middle east to Unit Arabs in order to bring them peace for oil drilling purposes....

March 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
    • JLS639

Right... you need to stop being so paranoid. I am an atheist and I have not yet feared for my safety because of it. Sure, a small number of people are jerks towards atheists, but dangerous? Rarely if ever...

March 29, 2011 at 9:22 pm |
    • Jason Byron

I think the cause that will unite us all is a holy war against god in all of its forms. I have nothing but praise for atheism, and nothing but contempt for religion. Look what terrible things it inspires! No reasonable or compassionate human being should endorse a religion that allows 14y/o girls to be whipped to death. Period.

March 29, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
  18. Muneef

As a Muslim I have nothing against Christians or even Jews or any non Believers...but will do have against them the day they have some thing against me,my country and my beliefs....
    The Quran clearly stated that we are not to attack non believers that do me no wrong but only against those who attacked me and had driven me from my home and from my land...

So really not sure what you hold against those immigrants or American Muslims but just try to look at it at different prospective since Muslims are not all holding the same ideology since culture plays a major role here...
    For example Christian American is not as same as Christian Coptic or orthodox or Christian Indian or Pakistani ? They are not all the same although the carry the basic belief but so much different in other things within....
    In Islam we are told to wear clean cloths and to wear perfumes speacially when in Mosques and at social gatherings...but from the way I read here I just wonder what type of Muslims you got your selves into...?!?

March 29, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • misoislamic

So what exactly is a "non believer"? Do you believe in evolution? Do you believe in relativity? Do you believe Elvis is still alive? Do you believe in UFO's? Do you believe the Mets will win the World Series this year? If not, you can be defined as a "non believer". It's all relative, Muneef. Unfortunately, your opinion of a "non beliiever" is corrupted by the Quran. Sorry for you. Try using your brain, intellect, rational thought, logic, thinking through the process. As Mahatma Gandhi said “Faith... Must be enforced by reason...When faith becomes blind it dies.” I think your faith is on its last legs.

March 30, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  19. Che_Lives

White Americans shouldn't be trusted either (especially so-called "Christians"). They've proven to be terrorists time and time again.

March 29, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • Proud American

I am completely offended by your statement.. I am a Christian and proud of it. I have never killed anyone nor do I plan to ever do that. However you must know.. Hell will be full of "Good Christians" as the path is paved with "Good Intentions"... Unfortunately we do have those that are called HYPOCRITES!!! You can not rightfully judge me because of the actions of someone else that claims of be a Christian. Christians are not free of Sin but should always strive to be more Christ Like...

March 29, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
    • JLS639

I am not sure why you are offended, ProudAmerican. Perhaps Che's statement was meant to be ironic. After all, why should someone who does not trust Muslims due to terrorism trust white Christians? I am not especially distrustful of Christians or Muslims for the same reason.

March 29, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
    • Jason Byron

What I'm seeing is that there are some very "good" and "moral" jews, christians, and muslims. But it is neither good nor moral to support the dark ages mentality that is called monotheism. Why would any individual endorse a god who is responsible for hate, murder, fear, and death? We have become too tolerant of such things. How about some INtolerance? How about helping people lose faith? Just a thought.

March 29, 2011 at 9:46 pm |
  20. RostamI

Warning! The response to Ronski by this author contains inflammatory statements and graphic images. Discretion is strongly recommended.

March 29, 2011 at 8:29 pm |