home
RSS
April 2nd, 2011

Living under the headscarf

Editor’s Note: "Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door" features the Muslim community of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, where sisters Dima and Lema Sbenaty grew up and live. CNN’s Soledad O’Brien chronicles the dramatic fight over the construction of a mosque in the heart of the Bible belt. Watch “Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door” airing at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. ET April 2 on CNN.

By Elizabeth M. Nunez, CNN

Few items of clothing inspire as much controversy as the hijab, or headscarf. To some it represents oppression or radical Islam.

But to American-born Muslim sisters Dima and Lema Sbenaty, the hijab is a source of pride.

“Before I thought it would bother me to wear a scarf in public. I was surprised to feel that I was proud of my religion and all of my friends," says Dima Sbenaty, 20.

"We all go out together and they’re all wearing headscarves as well. It’s nothing that I’m ashamed of, and that’s part of my strength with my religion.”

The sisters have lived most of their lives in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Now they are students at Middle Tennessee State University. Lema, a chemistry major, wants to become a pediatrician and dreams of tending to children in Ethiopia. Dima, a biology and chemistry double major, is working toward becoming a dentist. Neither has decided if she will permanently wear a hijab, but both cover during daily prayer.

In Arabic, hijab roughly translates as “barrier” or partition. In Islam, it refers to the principle of modesty in behavior and dress, as described in the Quran: "Say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments.”

Women raised in the faith like the Sbenaty sisters say the moment to start wearing a hijab is theirs to choose.

For others who convert to Islam, like Ivy Balloul, a blue-eyed American raised as a Methodist, the hijab comes with her adopted faith. “This was part of me converting to Islam," she said. "You can’t divide it up into little pieces and pick and choose what you want. It’s a whole package.”

Ivy, married to the imam of the Murfreesboro mosque, has received negative comments for wearing a hijab. “One man said to me in the post office that I can take off my scarf, that I’m free here. Another woman felt like I was a traitor. A man called to me one day from his car telling me that, uh, I should go back home.”

But these experiences do not discourage her from covering her head.

“I feel like I have more respect. Before, I could be pumping gas in my car and some guy would whistle or make some type of catcall. It was an uncomfortable situation," she said.

"When you put on a scarf ... [you] know that people can’t look at you as a sexual object. The first time I put it on I felt more comfortable in my own skin.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Islam • Muslim

soundoff (1,575 Responses)
  1. Abdulameer

We read above that Ivy Balloul, a blue-eyed American raised as a Methodist, the hijab comes with her adopted faith. “This was part of me converting to Islam," she said. "You can’t divide it up into little pieces and pick and choose what you want. It’s a whole package.”
    And, this is the whole problem with Islam. It's a whole package. Well, here is what else is in the package that these jihabed women are identifying with, even if they have never bothered to learn what the rest of the package contains.

April 2, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • Abdulameer

Here are just a few items from the rest of the Islamic package:
      FROM THE KORAN:
      - The unbelievers among the people of the book and the pagans shall burn forever in the fire of Hell. They are the vilest of all creatures. (98.6).
      - Surely the vilest of animals in Allah’s sight are those who disbelieve. (8.55)
      –The unbelievers are your inveterate enemy. (4:101)
      - Mohammed is God's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another. (48:29).
      - It is unlawful for a believer to kill another believer, accidents excepted. (4:92)
      - Believers, take neither the Jews nor the Christians for your friends. (5:51)
      - Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God's religion shall reign supreme. (8:40)
      - Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God's religion reigns supreme. (2:193)
      - The true believers fight for the cause of God, but the infidels fight for the devil. (4:76)
      - We will put terror into the hearts of the unbelievers. (3:151)
      - I shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads, strike off the very tips of their fingers.

April 2, 2011 at 10:56 am |
    • paperjihad

" this is the whole problem with Islam. It's a whole package" Well, of course it is whole package. So is Judaism, with its sacred law. You were preferring a half-baked religion?

April 2, 2011 at 11:04 am |
  2. JUSTICETO ALL

There has been several version of the Koran. In the original If you killed a black person you do not get the death penalty since he is not considered a human being. Muhamad was quoted as not liking turks because of their big noses. The so called prophet kidnapped and rapped woman and children before selling them into slavery. This is the person these people are following. Also the koran has been translated in english leaving out the true interpretation because it is a horror. You must know Arabic to really get the groosom nature of what is written especially in the last sections.

April 2, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • FifthApe

Just like the Bible.

April 2, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • Jeff

And you read the Quran in Arabic. Understood every word that was in it and you speak Arabic fluently. Or is it something that your feeble mind came up with.

April 2, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
  3. Tessa2011

America, the newest Muslim mecca. The problem with Islam is it's NOT tolerant of any other religion and will go to great lengths/violence to enforce their way of thinking. It's naive to believe that encouraging it's growth in America will end well. The chickens believed the very same thing when they made room in the coop for the fox.

OTOH, it's America and you can wear a scarf if you want to. Don't think it's particularly newsworthy though.

April 2, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • paperjihad

@Tessa2011,

It is neither more or less intolerant than Evangelical Christianity or Orthodox Judaism, both of which thrive in this country. Muslims have been immigrating to the US since ~1875, and 40 percent of the US Muslim population is African American (tho that number also includes heterodox and spin-off religions, such as the Nation of Islam). However, while Muslims are only 1 percent of the US population, the Justice Department reports they are victims of 14 percent of the religious discrimination cases.

Peace.

April 2, 2011 at 11:00 am |
  4. TheId

Only question I have is does she weight the same as a duck?

April 2, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  5. John

You know, all this is reporting about "The Muslims Next Door" is BS. All of you know without a doubt people convert from Mulsim to Christian, or Christian to Muslim, or Hindu, Buhddist. It happens all the time. If this story isn't such a sham, then why don't they go through America showing "All the religions" next door.

April 2, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • paperjihad

Perhaps because while Muslims are only 1 percent of the US population, the Justice Department reports they are victims in 14 percent of the religious discrimination cases. "These range from homicides and mosque burnings to job, school and zoning law abuses, according to the Justice Department." (Source: nytimes.com)

April 2, 2011 at 10:51 am |
  6. Jean

Why all the fuss about head coverings? Some nuns still cover their heads. Some Christian religions (Catholic and Protestant) ask women to cover their heads when entering churches. Some wear head coverings as part of their daily attire. Even brides cover their heads and faces with veils. I think it is suspect when people target one particular religion's practices while ignoring the same practices in other religions and instances.

April 2, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • HeavenSent

Jean, I suspect all these guys are young with raging hormones and want every women walking around in bikinis and spiked heels. They all think they are James Bond.

I'm just shaking my head.

Amen.

April 2, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  7. chuckmartel

April 2, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • PraiseTheLard

chuckmartel wrote: "It is so obvious to anyone with a brain that these dark age primitives don't belong here."

I guess this country should be left to the fundamental Christians who want to go back to the Middle ages?

April 2, 2011 at 10:47 am |
    • HeavenSent

chuckmartel, if anyone is primitive, it's you non-believers that REFUSE to live in harmony with society. Always looking down your noses at others, insist on destroying societies morals and ethics because none of you know how to read the Bible, haven't a clue to what the terminology means and none of you have done anything with your lives as you are all still wet behind the ears.

Amen.

April 2, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  8. Babso

An imam who married outside of his religion? Sounds a little curious to me!!!

April 2, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • paperjihad

It is consider "makruh" (disliked), but not prohibited.

April 2, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • truth00

It happens, a imaam marrying a non muslim, their is guidelines for that, (1) she must be chaste,(2) never married or divorced to have not committed fornication (3) must truly adhere to the 1st commandment which thou shall have no other god before me, in other words a true christian in a sense. another matter he shouldn't in reality, cause he may love her so much to the extent he may apostate

April 2, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  9. Jim

Awww how cute, CNN runs another Muslim Sympathizing article...

How Liberal of them

April 2, 2011 at 10:33 am |
  10. FifthApe

The problem with her is she has a choice. Her deciding to ware this is symbolic support for the societies that DONT give woman any choice, force them to ware bee keeper suits and oppress the hell out of them. When I see a western Muslim woman dressed like this I think of the poor girls in Afghanistan who get acid thrown in their faces when they try and go to school. This woman symbolically supports that.

All religion is evil. Its a virus of the mind.

April 2, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • HeavenSent

FifthApe, thanks for the new terminology. I can now write that you anti-social non-believers are a virus on your own minds instead of having huge EGOs. Oh, by the by, next time I visit the zoo, I'll say Hi to your relatives that didn't evolve. Speaking about a virus of the minds and you folks by that propaganda.

Amen.

April 2, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  11. John

I think some women are very submissive, I have dated a few of those type. They listen to whatever their spouse says, it might be OK to for them to do this stuff as they enjoy it. To others they want to feel special and noticed some way and they wear stuff like this to get noticed, they still enjoy the privileges afforded to women in this society like drive a car, shop by themselves without mail escorts etc. they just don't know what they are getting into. It is bad when somebody is forced to wear certain clothing, otherwise I think its all fun and games.

April 2, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • Maxine

John–so in order to "feel special" and get noticed they wear the hijab? Your rationalization of why they wear observe the hijab is way off! Sure some Muslim women are pressured into it and some actually choose to wear it. Believe it or not, there isn't a father, brother, husband or any other male that is threatening to lop off their head if they don't wear the hijab. There are Muslim women, who besides the luxurious privledge of shopping by herself or driving a car solo, actually do and make more for their lives. Like pursuing her education and making of her life what she wants, not as you claim, what a man or some society is allowing her. Seriously, your comment is laughable in that you claim to know so much about how these women live their lives.

April 2, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • Noah's Ark

Except that you're overly generalizing. I have friends who wear hijab and are: surgeons, doctors, attorney generals, politicians, bankers, engineers, etc. Always interacting with men at work ..

April 2, 2011 at 10:41 am |
    • FifthApe

Noah's Ark: As an aside, using this handle makes me question your ability to think rationally. Correct me if I'm wrong – you don't really think the Noah myth is true do you? And if you do, what does that say about a god who is so evil he would kill all but 8? How many babies in that number.... how many un-born?

April 2, 2011 at 10:47 am |
    • HeavenSent

FifthApe, Noah's flood was NOT global. It was regional. You apparently never learned how to read scriptures properly, nor did you learn how to cross reference the books in the Bible.

The only animals taken onto the Ark were the animals that were found in the region of the Flood (seven of every clean animal, and two of every unclean animal).

The Flood was restricted to the area were Adam's tribe lived and where this mixing of human and angelic being was taking place (Genesis 6:1-7).

The eight souls of (1 Peter 3:20) is a metaphor, just as the eighth person of (2 Peter 2:5) is a metaphor. For there were eight souls (humans) on the Ark, there were eight persons on the Ark NOT all of creation as you believe. There were millions of people living in the world at the time and the scriptures about the ark are only explaining Noah's family.

2 Peter 2:5

5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

1 Peter 3:20

20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Read those passages again with eyes that can see the scriptures properly.

Amen.

April 2, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

H-S: Metaphor, you say? How about the entire bible being nothing but?

April 2, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Evoken

"The reason for the Flood was solely to kill the Giants in Genesis 6:1-8, whom were the abominable to God offspring of Adam's daughters and the fallen angels."

Kill giants? What about zombies and goblins?

April 2, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • TheOneTrueReligion

Especially after a good beating at home by mohamed in front of the boys.

April 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  12. Sayward

I can't help but wonder why women have to hide their beauty in order to be modest and "not tempt men", but men can go around without a shirt on, show their hair, and dress in nice comfortable clothes? Blame the women for "tempting" man? I think that's a load of crap! God didn't decree that stupid law. Man did! Wearing a headscarf is not a source of pride, it's just another way to keep a woman chained to mans will. Ever wonder why the adulterous woman was stoned and never the man involved? Think about it.

April 2, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • jen

Right on! another religion to depress and degrade women. We are not your servants nor will we be treated as such! So screw organized religion. It is nothing but men trying to control others. Has nothing to do with faith.

April 2, 2011 at 10:43 am |
    • HeavenSent

When you figure out that the parents of these girls don't want you to meet their daughter(s) until you grow up act like a mature man, have a steady job, be responsible to make arrangements to meet her parents and after get their approval to even speak with their daughter, never mind thinking you have a right to date her.

I'd say, cudos to the Muslim parents for having their priorities straight.

Amen.

April 2, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  13. Paul NYC

I admit that seeing someone with only their eyes showing makes me somewhat uncomfortable - just being honest about that. However, I see women wearing headscarves all the time in NYC and it doesn't bother me any more than someone sitting on the train reading The Bible.

April 2, 2011 at 10:26 am |
    • S

I can understand that, but I would also like you to understand that the burqa is actually not mandatory or even mentioned in original Islamic teachings.

April 2, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
  14. Jason

I live in the beautiful neighborhood of Astoria Queens, home not just to a large muslim population of Egyptians, Lebanonese, and Moroccans but the world's largest population of Greeks outside of Athens. The Greek Orthodox Christian women also wear head scarves. The Russian & Ukranian Orthodox Women in our neighborhood also wear head scarves and of course, the jews to our south in Greenpoint/Williamsburg also wear head scarves. My point is, head scarves are common amongst all the three major religions, it should not be seen as a factor that seperates muslims from the rest of us. Who cares? Wear what you like!

April 2, 2011 at 10:22 am |
    • Noah's Ark

Exactly! But, unfortunately, only Muslim women get mud slung on them.

April 2, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • Fremde

Well said, Jason.

April 2, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • FifthApe

So you are ok with the Muslim woman who have NO choice. This woman supports the oppression of her sisters in countries where they have no choice. She actually sickens me by doing this.

April 2, 2011 at 10:44 am |
    • Angelica

From a happy hijabi thank you for this comment Jason :o)

And FifthApe please read my comment to Donna's post just above. I wear hijab to please my creator and because I am proud to be a Muslim. If my wearing hijab fuels men who choose to warp our religion to suit their cruel fancies (and believe me it doesn't take much) then that is their problem. It's bad enough some men scare women into donning hijab without a say-so but I will not be "scared" out of wearing it because of the same men. :o)

April 2, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • S

@FithApe:
      Soon there will be Muslim women who don't have a choice much closer to home. Heard about the French burqa ban? The burqa is not actually mandatory for a woman to wear, and not mentioned in any of the original Islamic teachings, but still, a woman should have a choice if she wants it.
      And thank you, Jason, for your well-reasoned response.

April 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • bowne

well said Jason, finally an intelligent person, Im from Queens NY as well and I know exactly what your talking about.

April 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • Fly on the wall

thank you for pointing this out. I was about to say the same thing.

April 2, 2011 at 9:43 pm |
  15. Some Guy

Why did we add "in the South" to the headline on the front page? Are we implying that "the South" is somehow less tolerant toward Muslims than, say, NYC? I get the distinct impression that a couple of people reminding her she's free to remove the scarf would hardly be the end of any Yankee commentary on the subject.

April 2, 2011 at 10:22 am |
    • Jose Sanchez

"Are we implying that "the South" is somehow less tolerant toward Muslims than, say, NYC?"

.. you're not from here, are you?

April 2, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  16. Donna

I quote.."I don't think any woman would wear it if she felt oppressed". Perhaps not here in the United States..we GIVE you that freedom. Try going to an Arab country and saying that..or doing it! You would be ostracized or worse, whipped. The thing that galls me the most is that at this point in time we are inundated with aliens both legal and illegal. They stretch the tax payers pockets till more and more they have to live in near poverty. Don't get me wrong, I'm for freedom to practice your religion, but I draw the line when your men-folk insist on Sharia Law being practiced here in the United States. You have the right to wear that hajib because my husband, and most of the males in MY family fought and some even died to give you that right. Don't defile their sacrifice by trying to bring your laws into their country.

April 2, 2011 at 10:21 am |
    • Angelica

I have been wearing hijab for almost five months now out of my own choosing. Believe me when I say I know I am blessed because I was able to choose to wear it. Never has it been forced on me. Sadly this is not always the case. Some women are forced to wear it by their families (husbands/fathers) or by their countries (Iran). However, what many people do not realize is that in Islam wearing of the hijab has to be decided by the woman. A husband/father/government is not allowed to tell her she can or cannot wear it. This is a truth that is often buried.

Btw My husband is a veteran who served during Iraqi Freedom and yes I do thank him for his service and the service of others. I'm blessed to live in a country wear I can make my own decision about hijab.

April 2, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • Guillermo

Have you ever been to Indonesia? Bangladesh? the United Arab Emirates? Egypt? Women do not have to wear a Hijab, if they don't want to. In fact, even in cities such as Jeddah, in Saudi Arabia, women don't have to wear a Hijab.

April 2, 2011 at 11:28 am |
  17. Consistency Advocate

I can't help wondering why, since modesty is the stated goal, the young lady in the photo is wearing mascara (I can't tell if she has other makeup as well to complement her head scarf

April 2, 2011 at 10:21 am |
    • TheId

Because no Southern woman would ever leave the house without make-up and her hair done. 🙂

April 2, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • Yep

She probably also has a belly button ring and a tramp stamp on her lower back 🙂

April 2, 2011 at 10:37 am |
  18. Noah's Ark

Virgin Mary wore a SCARF!!

April 2, 2011 at 10:17 am |
    • Fuyuko

she also lived several thousand years ago. this is the 21rst century.

April 2, 2011 at 10:25 am |
    • Noah's Ark

Christian women in the Middle East, Eastern Europe, elsewhere in the Old World almost always cover their hair when in Church, offering prayer ...

April 2, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • jen

How do you know if Mary wore a scarf?? were you there? don't make statements you cannot possibly prove.

April 2, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • Moe Man

And modern day 21 century Nuns wear a cover too.....

April 2, 2011 at 10:43 am |
    • cguest

This comment about Mary and the scarf always comes when trying to justify the use of scarf by muslim women. First, nobody cares if Mary uses a scarf or not, not even Catholics (besides, we don’t even know how she looked like as you are basing your info in renditions of her in churches from probably the medieval times) ; second, following your logic every Christian should be walking the streets wearing the garments of 30 AC! Ridiculous

April 2, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • cguest

Nuns are nuns, not common women, besides, very few orders use scarfs!

April 2, 2011 at 10:50 am |
    • Finger Puppet

Mary a virgin ? Jesus had brothers. I think that speaks for itself. The term "virgin" is a mistranslation from the Hebrew of "young girl" of an age to be married.
      Why is it the western male religious leaders implicitly disvalue the natural functions of women by implying it's better to be a virgin than not ? Go figure.

April 2, 2011 at 11:51 am |
  19. petemg

I have no problem with the scarf. It is just that when these women try to get a job where there is a dress code. They then expect that particular place to change the code for them so they can wear the scarf. Dress code is dress code. If you are at a job where the scarf has a potential to cause a health or safety problem, remove the scarf accordingly. As you leave you can always reapply the scarf. You need to live with codes.

April 2, 2011 at 10:17 am |
    • voiceoftruth

they are living with codes. islamic codes. i agree if there is an immediate health or safety concern then they shouldnt but the fact is there isnt one. its like wearing a hairnet in a kitchen. the scarf can be tucked in the shirt rather than hang over the body and potentially get caught in anything. if theres any type of scenario where a scarf on the head is dangerous then the code should also include no hair and force everyone to be bald.

April 2, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • Mei

I agree. Many Christians have to follow employment codes (often have to leave a cross at home and can't wear it), so Muslims should not get special treatment. They can follow their religion in the privacy of their own home, if their employer does not agree with their headscarf. And honestly, the scarf isn't that unique. Christians have worn head coverings in church for a LOT longer than Muslims have.

April 2, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • bethe123

I would not do business with a woman who wore the hijab, simply because I would question her education and intelligence.
      The hijab is an affront to women's rights. Feminists everywhere should oppose it.

April 2, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • HeavenSent

petemg, dress codes were designed so that folks didn't go into work looking like they were ready for the beach (e.g., cut off shorts, T-shirts, flip flop sandals). It was a thump in the head to morons to dress conservatively. How in the world would a scarf covering a woman's head be considered inappropriate in the work environment? You act like every women has to look like a pinup out of a girlie magazine. Yes, one of those models that you will never meet.

Amen.

April 2, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
  20. DanoMcRoo

2011.........the 21st century. No matter how hard muslims might try, the world isn't going back to the 7th century.

April 2, 2011 at 10:16 am |
    • Belingo

And the fact is, most Muslims don't even want to. Maybe you want them to, so you can hate them?

April 2, 2011 at 10:18 am |
    • Jose Sanchez

Don't worry, the Muslims have almost no political power in the US. It's Christianity that's fighting science and trying to return us to the dark age. Luckily, kids seem to be abandoning religion, so if we can just survive through the boomer generation's theocracy, we should be able to fix things in time.

April 2, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • Mei

Muslims need to stop pushing their religion on Americans and start addressing the own in their midst who are radical. I read articles daily about Muslims decrying discrimination, however, it is around the world that radicals are KILLING because they disagree... discriminate against non-Muslims. Murder is a far greater crime! Radical Islam takes away the rights of women.

April 2, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • Khadijah

Well, would you want to go back to the 7th century for your race? Um would that put you in Europe diggin in the Mud, Africa stalking wild game, or maybe what would become Ireland, growing potatos? This is classic; your so afraid that you want to lash out at something that can not hurt your back?

April 2, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • DanoMcRoo

@ Jose Sanchez.........I couldn't agree more sir. Religion is, and always has been the scourge of the planet. The ultimate expression of human weakness.

April 2, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • HeavenSent

Jose, oh, so Christians don't know about science. That's funny, here's a few scriptures for you to read"

Genesis 2:7: "And the Lord God formed man of the DUST OF THE GROUND, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul." Surely, you don't take Genesis 2:7 seriously? Do you?

Psalm 8:8: ". . . whatsoever passeth through the PATHS OF THE SEAS." How did David (the writer of Psalms) know, over 2,000 years ago, there were "paths in the seas"? David probably never even saw an ocean!

Ecclesiastes 1:7: "All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again." How did the writer of Ecclesiastes know the water cycle of condensation and evaporation in 1000 B.C.?

Job 38:19: "Where is THE WAY where light dwelleth?" How come Job didn't say where is THE PLACE where light dwelleth? Because light is always moving. How did Job know something in 1500 B.C. ?

Ecclesiastes 1:6: "The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again ACCORDING TO HIS CIRCUITS." How did the writer of Ecclesiastes know the wind traveled within circuits? How did he know with their so-called limited knowledge thousands of years ago?

Leviticus 17:11: For the life of the flesh is in the blood. What Moses wrote in 1490 B.C. written thousands of years ago, by men with such limited knowledge?

Amen.