home
RSS
April 2nd, 2011

Living under the headscarf

Editor’s Note: "Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door" features the Muslim community of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, where sisters Dima and Lema Sbenaty grew up and live. CNN’s Soledad O’Brien chronicles the dramatic fight over the construction of a mosque in the heart of the Bible belt. Watch “Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door” airing at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. ET April 2 on CNN.

By Elizabeth M. Nunez, CNN

Few items of clothing inspire as much controversy as the hijab, or headscarf. To some it represents oppression or radical Islam.

But to American-born Muslim sisters Dima and Lema Sbenaty, the hijab is a source of pride.

“Before I thought it would bother me to wear a scarf in public. I was surprised to feel that I was proud of my religion and all of my friends," says Dima Sbenaty, 20.

"We all go out together and they’re all wearing headscarves as well. It’s nothing that I’m ashamed of, and that’s part of my strength with my religion.”

The sisters have lived most of their lives in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Now they are students at Middle Tennessee State University. Lema, a chemistry major, wants to become a pediatrician and dreams of tending to children in Ethiopia. Dima, a biology and chemistry double major, is working toward becoming a dentist. Neither has decided if she will permanently wear a hijab, but both cover during daily prayer.

In Arabic, hijab roughly translates as “barrier” or partition. In Islam, it refers to the principle of modesty in behavior and dress, as described in the Quran: "Say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments.”

Women raised in the faith like the Sbenaty sisters say the moment to start wearing a hijab is theirs to choose.

For others who convert to Islam, like Ivy Balloul, a blue-eyed American raised as a Methodist, the hijab comes with her adopted faith. “This was part of me converting to Islam," she said. "You can’t divide it up into little pieces and pick and choose what you want. It’s a whole package.”

Ivy, married to the imam of the Murfreesboro mosque, has received negative comments for wearing a hijab. “One man said to me in the post office that I can take off my scarf, that I’m free here. Another woman felt like I was a traitor. A man called to me one day from his car telling me that, uh, I should go back home.”

But these experiences do not discourage her from covering her head.

“I feel like I have more respect. Before, I could be pumping gas in my car and some guy would whistle or make some type of catcall. It was an uncomfortable situation," she said.

"When you put on a scarf ... [you] know that people can’t look at you as a sexual object. The first time I put it on I felt more comfortable in my own skin.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Islam • Muslim

soundoff (1,575 Responses)
  1. Mark from Middle River

"I dare any one of you to just pretend for a day to wear the hijab and see what it feels to face all the hateful eyes staring at them."

Siham- This is a simple and honest question, do you feel any kinship with Jewish Boys who wear the yamaka? Do you see any similarities.

Now that was the simple and kind comment. My last statement is that wearing a cloth that you can remove puts you pretty far down the "discrimination" ladder. There are folks who are not awared the same privileged as Muslim women. Some wake up black, white, asian. ... I think if Muslim would say more that they are not unique as other groups of oppressed folks then people would go further to understand them. If Muslim continue to feel that they are the only ones who have come to this country or even born here and taken flack for being different, then folks will always have some negative feelings.

April 3, 2011 at 1:45 am |
  2. Rasheed

Wow!
    With Americans like these on this blog, who needs Adolf Hitler?

Come on, guys, let it rest. It's only about a few women wanting to wear head scarves. Let them wear them. Women wear them in Israel; Certain non-Muslim cultures in the US wear them; Russian women wear them; African women wear them, et.c. etc. Why is it such a big deal if a few (not all) Muslim women want to wear them – they wear them alreadyh – it's not like there's going to be some new law mandating all women to do so. Why do people wear crosses, Yamukahs, etc. So what if it's even a religious symbol? There are some tatoos that people display that have really nasty messages on them, but you have to live with them. So let it rest. Or, is it that you believe what the woman says – that it empowers women, and you don't want to see Muslim women empowered – that's hatred too!

April 3, 2011 at 1:33 am |
    • Nana

Not from me, but it was my people that Adolph Hitler slaughtered.

April 3, 2011 at 2:29 am |
  3. Rasheed

Stop bombing Muslim countries and they might not "hate" you, as you guys keep complaining. I mean really, do you really believe that you can selectively bomb members of any other faith as heartlessly as you do Muslims on a regular basis, they would not resist against you or develop a dislike for you? Do you really expect, after bombing Muslims with live ordnance like an avalanche falls on the ground, for them to love you and bring you flowers? After all this hate you are spewing on the internet, don't you feel that some crazy Muslim (crazies are in every faith) might get violent somwhere? Then you complain that 9/11's happen. If I kept p poking a pencil into your nose day in and day out, would I be justified to complain that it seems to bother you somewhat? You have to be absolute bigots and racists of the most evil kind if you believe that YOU can do whatever you want to others, but THEY have no right to respond IN KIND. Oh well, I guess common sense isn't that common, after all.

April 3, 2011 at 1:21 am |
    • Perlenspiel

You hated us before any bomb was invented, look at your own book.

April 3, 2011 at 2:50 am |
  4. American Muslim

I am an American Muslim. I was born in Bosnia and I moved to this country because my people were slaughtered by Orthodox Christians during the 1992-1995 war. I do not hate Christians because of this and I absolutely love the United States. I am a true American because I came here because of RELIGIOUS PERSECUTION just like the pilgrims did.

It hurts me greatly to hear what is going on in Murfreesboro, TN and to read a lot of the comments posted here. America has always sinned against a group of it's own people: first it was the Native Americans, the African Americans, etc and now it seems like it's the turn for the Muslim Americans. The anti-Muslim feelings in this country were never this strong. Even after 9/11 I never felt this afraid.

April 3, 2011 at 1:16 am |
    • Nana

I am Jewish and I do not hate Moslems. I despise cruelty from whomever it comes; my father's Dutch cousins were slaughtered in the Death Camps. Do I hate Germans for that? No. We must see each other's human faces–we simply must. If we see the true humanity within us all, it is so much harder to dehumanize and destroy.

April 3, 2011 at 2:28 am |
  5. Alex

Frankly a woman's hair is beautiful, why not show it, no disrespect to any religion.

April 3, 2011 at 1:14 am |
  6. a great Muslima

ARE you crazy ? who talked about ISLAM BY STH BAD he and she are incorrect .why???????????
    because you don't have the happiness that we have , you don't live your life correct . actually you cheat yourself.You are in dream............
    100% ISLAM IS THE BEST RELIGION IN THE WHOLE WORLD ...NOT BECAUSE IT IS MY RELIGION BUT IT IS THE GUIDE FOR HAPPY LIFE.......read about how convert to ISLAM and compare their bad past life and the new life ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then you will know the RIGHT RELIGION

April 3, 2011 at 12:53 am |
    • Nana

Muslima–soooo much violence has been done because people feel their religion is the "right" religion. Any faith that is good, constructive, based on love, practices charity, nourishes and protects the earth is a fine faith. Most faiths aspire to that but are practiced badly by a minority of their members. No faith is exempt from that. Islam is not better than Judaism which is not better than Christianity which is not better than Buddhism and so on. Nobody has an inferior faith. We MUST honor all people's right to choose their own spiritual path and rejoice for them that they have found it or the world will collapse in blood.

April 3, 2011 at 2:25 am |
  7. Molon Labe

Great one sided pro-Islam/Shariah Law special. Now CNN and Soledad O’Brien need to go to Iran, Egypt and other Middle-Eastern countries and ask Muslims why they have been killing Christians for thousands of years. Also, find out why Christians have to worship under the cover of darkness, in fear of being arrested and never seen again!
    You can bet I won't be holding my breath for that TV special.

April 3, 2011 at 12:38 am |
    • Hana

What are you talking about "worship under the cover of darkness"?

With the exception of Saudi, Christian communities around the Middle East practice openly. They have beautiful churches and traditions. I wont deny there has been oppression, but they still have the right to practice.

I dont know about the state of law in Egypt now, but before Mubaraks fall, Christmas was even a national holiday.

April 3, 2011 at 2:07 am |
  8. john

I am so sick of muslims.....they came here, and dont assimulate at all....do they really think this country is the way it is because of muslim values...lol....well we can see how muslim values effect a society.......no thanks! take that crap to Iran!

April 3, 2011 at 12:32 am |
    • lina

agreed

April 3, 2011 at 1:27 am |
    • Hana

Many of us Muslims are born and raised here in the US. I am a convert and my family has been in the US for more than 250 years. This is MY country thank you very much. I was born assimilated. I just added slightly longer clothing and a scarf to my wardrobe and a few prayers and such that I do in the privacy of my home. That does not change the fact that I am American and does not impact you at all.

April 3, 2011 at 2:02 am |
    • bethe123

Hana–

Well, if you are stupid, you will not appreciate the hard fought battles of feminists for equality...and how easily those battles can be reversed, and all progress lost.

Islam is misogynistic. I really do not care if you agree or not. Wearing the hijab is a statement that the wearer agrees with the status of women in Islam, and no feminist should condone it.
      You may not think wearing the hijab affects anybody but yourself. That is a statement about your lack of discernment, and nothing else.

April 3, 2011 at 2:08 am |
    • Hana

See Bethel,

Unlike you I dont simply resort to calling people by names. I have an honest opinion.

Feminism was fought for women's rights to be equal and have a choice in life. Not to take away a woman's choice and force her to be beholden to a cookie cutter image that society shapes. I have no interest in being exactly equal with anyone. I have an interest in being ME. I have that right to choose for myself. that is true freedom.

I fully admit that I have that because I am American... well guess what? That is the point! I am American AND I am Muslim.

April 3, 2011 at 2:24 am |
    • bethe123

Hana-

Again, if you are not intelligent enough to understand that Islam is misogynistic, then you will not understand that a woman voluntarily wearing the hijab would be like a Jew voluntarily wearing a swastika. Sure, any Jewish person has the freedom to do so, it is a free country after all. We would just think he/she is stupid for doing so…even if the swastika was worn as a Hindu symbol, and not a Nazi symbol.

So you think I am calling you names. No. I am literally saying I think you are stupid,, and that you have a low IQ, and you do not understand the harm the hijab does to women’s rights. The other possibility is you are not honest. Either way, you are scarcely and advertisement for Islam.

April 3, 2011 at 2:37 am |
    • Hana

Bethe123,

Your insistence that I am stupid and just spewing drivel is just a psychological tool to exhibit control and try to force me to submit to social pressures and be a good little sheep and follow your views.... How are you any different or better than the people you hate so much?

And the comparison of a Jewish person wearing a Swastika is ludicrous. There was no history or meaning of the symbol in Jewish tradition before hand. But rather it had meaning to Hindus, Buddhists, I believe, and Romans. So, the better comparison is if a Buddhist person wears the protective symbol even after World War II. Continuing to practice their faith and wear a symbol after the world as deemed it to have meaning other than its original one.

April 3, 2011 at 10:59 am |
  9. Brain Hertz

If you read the article you'd know that they're all Americans. So they are already in "their own country".

April 3, 2011 at 12:31 am |
  10. LXZ

People risk everything to come to America, yet don't want to assimilate as Americans...I just don't get it.

April 3, 2011 at 12:24 am |
    • AmericanM

Assimilation is a choice and not a requirement.

April 3, 2011 at 1:15 am |
    • bethe123

Yes indeed, assimilation is a choice.

But abuse the good graces of the host country, and you may find modifications of the immigration policy to favor cultures that will assimilate.
      European countries have learned the Muslim lesson the hard way, and now are looking for a remedy.
      Muslims often do not assimilate, and are a burden, not a benefit, to the host country.

April 3, 2011 at 1:19 am |
    • Nana

Plus it's rarely the first generation of immigrants who do assimilate. Those young women are Americans. They look and sound as American as anybody. Do they have differences based on their faith? Sure. So do the Amish (their women cover their heads, as well, as do Mennonites)–do you think the Amish should be run out of this country? I repeat, the vast majority of Moslems are as comfortable to know as your average Presbyterian. Base your judgments on personal knowledge, not kneejerk reactions to what the media is spewing or what hysterics are currently screaming about. Find oiut for yourselves with an open mind, for pete's sake.

April 3, 2011 at 2:21 am |
  11. ladybear

OF course, the main difference for the young muslim women in the US is that wearing the hijab is voluntary, they do it because they wish to. In most muslim countries, it is not a matter of choice, it is a matter of personal safety and staying out of prison or worse.
    A side note: until a couple of decades ago, a head scarf was common attire for many women in Europe and in North America when they went out, it kept their hair in place, kept the rain off, kept them warm; many senior ladies in parts of Europe still wear a head scarf. A head covering still popular for traditional Indian women.

April 3, 2011 at 12:12 am |
  12. Chris

Islam is not a religion, its an evil ideology that justifies murder by evil people.

April 3, 2011 at 12:10 am |
    • sheisugly

And Christianity is different how? 🙂 Oh right, the NATO/US Troops in Iraq are not christians, they are just men doing their jobs. The little morons sitting in their comfy leather chairs and manning Reaper drones firing dem hellfire missiles are just doing their jobs, they are not christians. Riiiiiiiiight 🙂

April 3, 2011 at 12:29 am |
  13. CommonSense

Muslims are naturally born retrogrades.
    Where ever they go their retrograde religion crushes the well being of the rest. Why do they come to USA or migrate away from their muslin countries? Is it due to the fact that those countries are in total disarray thanks to their Islam based Governments? or is it due to their chaotic society full of ignorance and hate?
    This muslim woman should go where she belongs and enjoy the freedom practice by their own kind. Good luck with that.
    Just muslims and NO other migrant religious group is so unwelcome. Why? Is it because muslims are set to destroy ANYTHING and ANYONE that comes across their path or is an INFIDEL?
    Muslims, GO AWAY and STAY AWAY we do not need muslims in America.

April 3, 2011 at 12:02 am |
    • paperjihad

@CommonSense,

Well, you're forgetting that about 40 percent of US Muslims are African-American. They didn't 'immigrate' here. But as far as immigration goes, Muslims have been immigrating here since ~1875. That's a well-established and rather non-controversial history. I don't see this retrograde thing of which you speak.

April 3, 2011 at 12:11 am |
  14. sam

They should respect America. We do not go over to their country and wear shorts and tank tops out of respecft and they should do the same.

April 3, 2011 at 12:00 am |
    • paperjihad

@sam,

Actually, I've seen a lot of Western women wearing shorts in Morocco.

April 3, 2011 at 12:08 am |
    • Hana

Ok, what would you think of a woman walking around in a black sleeveless button down shirt with matching slacks and heels? What if they were so see through you could make out the exact pattern of lace used on her under garments?

There are laws here in the US about wearing at least certain amounts of clothing too. Do you think that she would be stopped by police if she were to walk into a museum here?

I saw a woman dressed just like that, touring Egypt several years ago. The tour guide was obviously not happy about the clothing choice and worked extra hard to keep her away from crowds. But, she was allowed to spend her day touring museums and temples just as she was.

I would not recommend it as harassment can be an issue there, not from people condemning you for showing skin, but rather from men wanting....

April 3, 2011 at 1:57 am |
  15. Jamilah Aromatherapy

Jake and Jim, the two of you are so misinformed or are just plain ignorant. What gets me is that you are both so self-righteous. People, no matter where they come from, if in this country can practice freedom of religion and worship in the manner they choose. If you don't like it, you are practicing some self-absorbed concept of grandios proportions and anti-American, to boot. How dare you think that what you believe is the only way to believe. At the same time, isn't that what you think and accuse Muslims of? Islam DOES include free will to choose. Isabel can believe as she chooses and so can Muslims. If she can have Jesus, Muslims can have Muhammad. What you don't know is that Jesus is very revered by Muslims and mentioned in the Qur'an more times than anyone else! Christianity is recognized as well, its just that Muslims have the revelation that can AFTER Christianity. What's it to you if you are secure in your faith?

Stop throwing ugly assertions over stuff that you don't know much about. And, live and let live.

April 2, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
  16. senthil

This lady always seems to think she strikes the controversial subjects, be it black issue or the one like this one.. religious issue. If this is aired in india, that will go with a mini riot and couple of hundred lives. The same with the way she brings the black issue. She should go back and read the history of muslims rule in india. And would they accept temples, churches or buddhist statues in the muslims world ? How about saudi arabia ? How about arabian mainlands ? Would they allow buddhist temples to be built ? And also it is most of the time directed by imams, common man would not know how to interpret, and it is these imam's direct things either in good or bad directions, you have no control over it. So how do you term islam ? it is not about islam realy, it is like any other religion on the planet, but it is the way it is practiced and culture. It is going to be troublesome in the long run if islam spreads through imam centric culture, at least india obsolved all those pains and suffering, i dont think other countries would do the same. It is painfull process. And it all depends on infusion of other religions into Arabia. At the end, Saudi Arabia holds the key for the reform. This is like the trouble waiting in the doorstep. If the door is not locked, you very well end up facing it.

April 2, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  17. Ryan

You can't judge islam unless you read the qur'an and the bible. Then you can make your opinion. I think think islamic hate is a phase, like hate crimes during the mid-1900s. Nobdy hated muslims until 9-11, when people who were not following islam but said they were blew up the twin towers. Also, people who say muslims should go home aparently dropped out of 1st grade when you learned the first amendment. FREEDOM OF RELIGION. America was founded by people who didn't like other christians.

April 2, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
    • doughnuts

How about judging people by their actions? Can we do that? Can we judge them based on their reaction to minor provocation half a world away? Can we judge them based on what they themselves say is their motivation for committing horrific acts?

April 3, 2011 at 1:22 am |
    • Soven

I have read the quran and the bible. So, I CAN judge Islam as the most racist, judgmental hateful, lying and ridiculous religion of them all. For those who haven't read both books they also most certainly CAN judge Islam as not welcome.

April 3, 2011 at 2:01 am |
    • Nana

Actually, Ryan, there was a LOT of hatred toward Moslems in this country before 9/11–just not as much of it. I have read Qu'ran, Torah and Christian scriptures and they are all pretty hairy in places. It's a very good idea to remember, though, how long ago these rules were written and that, perhaps, those among our faiths who are willing to think for ourselves (even a little) realize that some of it needs to be seen within the context of its time and that it needs to be left behind. The spirit of a faith should always be more powerful than the letter.

April 3, 2011 at 2:09 am |
  18. Reality

Some of the reasons Muslims are not welcomed next door:

The koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror :

The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century

■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "

and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.

and more recently

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,483 and 925 in non combat roles. 99,901 – 109,143 Iraqi civilians killed as of 3/3/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,141 killed in action, 242 killed in non-combat situations as of 03/03/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.

16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.

17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.

18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.

19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011

20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011

21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.

22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) – Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

April 2, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
    • asim

Ummm. I see you created a long list of evils done by Muslims in the history. Lets me see Hilter was a muslim who killed millions of jews because of their race and religion. May be Stalin was a Muslim too who killed millions. No No. I think George Bush must be a muslim as he is responsible for hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians hiding WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. After all Crudes were started by Muslims too. Get your facts ready. Remember you can blame over 1.5 Billion Peaceful Muslims due to act of few misguided (Probably less than 0.001% of total population) people.

April 3, 2011 at 2:18 am |
    • bethe123

asim - nice strawman. You attribute statements to him he did not make...

"1.5 Billion Peaceful Muslims"
      Peaceful is open to question...nor is it the only issue. The vile status and treatment of gays and women in Islamic countries is
      just as important as the terrorism issue.

April 3, 2011 at 2:25 am |
  19. Reality

Some of the reasons Muslims are not welcomed next door:

The koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror :

The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century

and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.

and more recently

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.

April 2, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • jake

If we allow Muslims to wear covered faces, then we would never know who were muslims or who were people that were wanted by the law, they could rob banks, shot you and walk awy. How could you describe the subspect. If the Muslims in Murfreeboro are allowed to put tha tMosq up, then here comes the Radicals in. I bet you that 50 percent of the muslims are radical but hiding it at this point. I do not want violence toward those people, but why do they not just go back to where they came from. and

April 2, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
    • paperjihad

@jake,

How would you know it anyway? Do you pay attention photos on wanted posters?

April 3, 2011 at 12:02 am |
    • StevenQ

That's it? Look at the history of every religion on the face of this earth and you will see a nasty bloody past. One can you assume that you took the major blemishes of Islam's history and decided to paste them here to make your point. Have you seen Christianity? It's an absolutely beautiful religion (like Islam) with an even bloodier past.

With the political climate now a days, we should be protecting Muslims in this great country of ours. We are actually more of a threat to them than they are to us.

And don't be going around saying "nation x" protected these people because they are so awesome. War (for a long time now) between any country hasn't been about solving a problem... it's been about protecting/securing priorities. Why haven't we touched Darfur? If the UK is our ally in Iraq/Afghanistan, why haven't they done more to help? Why didn't China go along with us to help the Libyan opposition (they get their oil from Libya)?

April 3, 2011 at 12:13 am |
    • bazzoola

Assassination of Van Gogh? are you smoking pot?

April 3, 2011 at 12:42 am |
    • Rasheed

Hi Reality, women's choice to wear Hijab is not the same as terrorism. You keep cutting and pasting your list on various threads without actually arguing anything. One argument doens't fit all topoics under discussion. Wearing Hijab doesn't make them the property of men. On the contrary. Women in Islamic countries aren't, or shouldn't be, backwards, because Islam gives them more rights than cultures prevailing before Islam. Muslim countries have had WOMEN HEADS OF STATE. They are judged based on their positions on issues, The US, where you are probably from, has yet to see a WOMAN PRESIDENT. Problem is, you judge your women who come forward by their breast size or who shows more skin, not as much by their ideas and policies. If Sarah Palin looked like Susan Boyle, how far in politics do you think she would have gone? Try some respect for women for a change. We've had it in Muslim countries for ages, and any lack thereof is due to Western influence being propagated there deliberately by the West with great effort.

April 3, 2011 at 12:53 am |
    • bethe123

bazzoola - He is not talking about the great Vincent Van Gogh, but one of his relatives...

You mean you really did not know?
      Van Gogh got a knife though his chest by a Muslim for making a movie on Islam.

April 3, 2011 at 12:54 am |
    • bethe123

@Rasheed –"Muslim countries have had WOMEN HEADS OF STATE."

You are a MORON.
      Ask Benazir Bhutto how that worked out. Oh, she's dead.
      Ask Sherry Rehman about the fatwas demanding her death for attacking the blasphemy laws.

Did I mention you are a MORON?

April 3, 2011 at 1:02 am |
    • Rasheed

Bethe,
      Calling someone a "Moron" as you did, wouldn't really win you an argument.
      Your reference to Her Excellency, late Benazir Bhutto is misplaced – the investigation of her assassination is still going on, and the obvious – that the CIA killed her – isn't being talked about due to yhou know whose pressure. Now, the CIA (Remember the spy Raymond Davis in Pakistan, the double murderer who got arrested but the great American Government supported the murderer and got him freed) isn't exactly a Muslim organization. Anyways....

April 3, 2011 at 1:47 am |
    • bethe123

Rasheed–

You are still a MORON.
      It was not the CIA, but the Pakistani government that was at fault.

And I notice you are silent on Sherry Rehman and the Islamic fatwa calling for her death. MORON. Blasphemy is a victimless crime, but in Islamic Pakistan, you can be killed for challenging the blasphemy laws. So this then is what you are defending.

Did I mention you are a MORON?

April 3, 2011 at 1:59 am |
  20. Tony Clifton

These women are naive. They fail to understand that the tradition of the scarf comes from a place where women are slaves and property of men. This would be like a black guy wearing shackles and chains as an accessory to uphold the "traditions" that the rich and powerful set out for them in the past. Moreover, wearing a headscarf in post-9/11 America is akin to wearing a swasticka in post WWII Europe. It represents the worst aspects of a group of people who know only wicked violence as the means to solve their disputes.

April 2, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
    • sheisugly

The proper analogy would be black muscled man wearing a thong in public. Might be a sight for the ladies, and non-straight men, but not so much for everyone else. The Hijab is a symbol that a women doesn't need to rely on her appearance whether she is ugly or beautiful to be accepted in society. (Just noticed my name, but hey, what can I say, I like pretty and shiny stuff).

And the fact you compared the Swastika to the Hijab kinda explained the type of narrow-minded bigot you are sir. 🙂

April 2, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
    • StevenQ

Yes, wearing a hijab is comparable to putting a big swastika on your shirt... that's about the saddest/most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time.

Stick to your terrible children horror novels R.L. Stine.

April 3, 2011 at 12:06 am |
    • confused?

How do you feel about the Amish? They cover their heads based on the BIBLE. The Muslims are no different. Christians have killed millions of people over the course of history in the name of God...sounds familiar? The BIBLE states that women are to be submissive and modest. Maybe these two religions aren't so different after all....

April 3, 2011 at 12:09 am |
    • lina

Very well said. Thank you

April 3, 2011 at 12:12 am |
    • Hani Morrar

Remind me of something, what does Virgin Mary wear in all of the pictures that CHRISTIANS drew? What do you think of Mother Tereza? One of the great persons ever lived, right? Oh wait she wears a scarf!! But she's Christian, does that make her... a slave? Ignorant maybe..?
      My friend, look into your own religion and learn what it is taught in it before you spread words only based on hatred and racism.

April 3, 2011 at 1:22 am |
    • Ramesh Manghirmalani, California

I agree with you, they should wear it there own country, If USA does not stop this Muslim head gear they will be all over USA

April 3, 2011 at 1:58 am |