home
RSS
April 2nd, 2011

Living under the headscarf

Editor’s Note: "Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door" features the Muslim community of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, where sisters Dima and Lema Sbenaty grew up and live. CNN’s Soledad O’Brien chronicles the dramatic fight over the construction of a mosque in the heart of the Bible belt. Watch “Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door” airing at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. ET April 2 on CNN.

By Elizabeth M. Nunez, CNN

Few items of clothing inspire as much controversy as the hijab, or headscarf. To some it represents oppression or radical Islam.

But to American-born Muslim sisters Dima and Lema Sbenaty, the hijab is a source of pride.

“Before I thought it would bother me to wear a scarf in public. I was surprised to feel that I was proud of my religion and all of my friends," says Dima Sbenaty, 20.

"We all go out together and they’re all wearing headscarves as well. It’s nothing that I’m ashamed of, and that’s part of my strength with my religion.”

The sisters have lived most of their lives in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Now they are students at Middle Tennessee State University. Lema, a chemistry major, wants to become a pediatrician and dreams of tending to children in Ethiopia. Dima, a biology and chemistry double major, is working toward becoming a dentist. Neither has decided if she will permanently wear a hijab, but both cover during daily prayer.

In Arabic, hijab roughly translates as “barrier” or partition. In Islam, it refers to the principle of modesty in behavior and dress, as described in the Quran: "Say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments.”

Women raised in the faith like the Sbenaty sisters say the moment to start wearing a hijab is theirs to choose.

For others who convert to Islam, like Ivy Balloul, a blue-eyed American raised as a Methodist, the hijab comes with her adopted faith. “This was part of me converting to Islam," she said. "You can’t divide it up into little pieces and pick and choose what you want. It’s a whole package.”

Ivy, married to the imam of the Murfreesboro mosque, has received negative comments for wearing a hijab. “One man said to me in the post office that I can take off my scarf, that I’m free here. Another woman felt like I was a traitor. A man called to me one day from his car telling me that, uh, I should go back home.”

But these experiences do not discourage her from covering her head.

“I feel like I have more respect. Before, I could be pumping gas in my car and some guy would whistle or make some type of catcall. It was an uncomfortable situation," she said.

"When you put on a scarf ... [you] know that people can’t look at you as a sexual object. The first time I put it on I felt more comfortable in my own skin.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Islam • Muslim

soundoff (1,575 Responses)
  1. MALEK

NO CHRISTIANS DONT SHOP OFF A HEAD OR 2 CHRISTIANS THROW NUCLEAR BOMBS ON CHILDREN AND INNOCENT PEOPLE ALL OVER THE WORLD. THEY HAVE MACHINES THAT DO THAT FOR THEM PLUS THEY KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE IN THE THOUSANDS NOT JUST IN A FEW NUMBERS. THEY HAVE CHURCHES BUILT FROM HUMAN BONES WHICH YOU NEVER SEE IN ISLAM AND MOST MURDERES, RAPISTS, PSYCHOPATH, PEDOPHILES AND WAR MONGERS JUST HAPPEN TO BE CHRISTIAN

April 2, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • News1973

Churches built from human bones?!?! Sounds like someone has been playing a little too much World of Warcraft.

April 2, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • MALEK

HERE IS THE LINK
      IF THIS IS FROM WOW THEN NOTHING IS REAL ANYMORE

April 2, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • MALEK

ANOTHER LINK

April 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • Dea2

News1973- there are several medieval Christian churchs built out of human bones. You need to watch the History Channel more often.

April 2, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Oh, yes. Watch the history channel that still doesn't know how to interpret the Bible scriptures as they pick and choose and are so off the mark about their biblical interpretations they've produced as they push the theories of the big bang and evolving from apes. LOL.

Amen.

April 2, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • Memo to The History Channel

Please contact HeavenSent immediately for the one, true, only perfect interpretation of these ancient stories. Shelve your unhumble, propagandizing, lustful, carnal ego and give him/her a call. He/she needs a job.

April 2, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  2. peacppl

IQS of a baseball....peacepeople...im out

April 2, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
  3. morris2196

Many American girls and young women dress like they want to be regarded as pieces of meat. I do not approve of that, but it seems to me that these two women have gone to the other extreme. But if that’s what they want to do, its ok by me.

April 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
  4. peacppl

WHAT WOULD JESUS DO OR THINK about some of these posters hate issues?

April 2, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • News1973

He would tell the Muslims in Afghanistan to stop beheading UN workers because someone burned a Koran in Florida.

April 2, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • Dea2

What about the "Christians" in America who kill other Americans in the name of God. Revenge killings, bombing clinics, shooting up churches and museums, lynching immigrants, etc... oh yeah, don't forget death threats whenever a person does something they don't agree with, either politically or personally... yeah, we aren't innocent by any stretch of the imagination. People like you tend to ignore our faults while condemning others.

April 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  5. Jim

When the cleansing in America starts, Liberals will be grouped in with their Muslim brethren...

April 2, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • peacppl

play your banjo buddy...grown folk are talkin here

April 2, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • FifthApe

Jim – you are one sick dude. Back to your cave now....

April 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
  6. rider

why don't you join a biker gang and become one of the girls.

April 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  7. Deann

Head scarves should be banned in public schools. They are a complete distraction to everyone. the women is constantly fiddling with them and for any one who has to sit behind them they block your view. These women who wear the Muslum costumes claim it is for modesty but the opposite is actually true. They draw unnecessary attention to themselves because they look so diffierent from everyone else. And the costumes are so extraneous this women end up taking up more space then anyone else. It is just another way to draw attention and claim the opposite. Hipocracy at its worse.

April 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • peacppl

wow...ignorance at its best.....you win the prize

April 2, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • Dea2

Third time trying to get out of moderation by the powers that be...
      Girls wearing head scarves are a lot less distracting than the girls fiddling with their shirts and skirts to keep their body parts from being exposed. I work in a school and I would much rather have girls in scarves than the ones I see with other stuff hanging out. What's more distracting to the boys? A covered girl, or a girl barely covered?

April 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Deann wrote: "Head scarves should be banned in public schools."

If you also include crosses that some people display, I may agree with you... Anyone remember Lenny Bruce's line: "If Jesus came back and was sent to jail and electrocuted, would you all be wearing little electric chairs around your necks?"

April 2, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  8. peacppl

This is why i love my country...i agree with some of you ..disagree with some...cant comprehend others..but its all good cuz we can agree to disagree God bless America!...yeah im a muslim patriot,,,we do exist

April 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Joe from Kalispell

Sorry, never seen a Muslim who was an American patriot. I think they are a myth like the do-do bird.

April 2, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • Burning Kurans last year ha ha ha

yeah, you're a liar. we can tell from your posts. may you find yourself in flames very soon.

April 2, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • News1973

Youre a liar. If u were a Muslim u would say "Allah bless America".
      Get some new material because the old liberal garbage doesn't seem to be working.

April 2, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • Dea2

God is Allah is Yahweh. We are all children of Abraham.

April 2, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • FifthApe

Dea2: You mean the Abraham who was willing to kill his child to show his devotion? But thats not near as bad as the god that asked for it. Not sure what was more evil there.

And you people pray to this – thing?

April 2, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • Dea2

Yep, however, since I am a Christian I follow the Gospels, love, tolerance, forgiveness, personal responsibility, actions are greater than words, whatever you do to the least of His... etc etc.

April 2, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
  9. Dea2

Articles like this are a good source of education for the people who are interesting in learning why people do certain things. There was a time when Christian women had to cover their heads in church too, when modesty rules meant American women were covered neck to wrist to ankle. Even today some denominations require that women cover themselves and wear dresses or skirts. Do we yell at Pentacostal women to wear pants or makeup? No, and we should not be telling Muslim women, or Orthodox Jewish women, or nuns, or anyone else that they have to remove their headcoverings because of our own personal bias. America was founded on freedom of religion, many of our founders were actually athiest, we need to respect the rights of all, or we don't deserve the rights at all.

April 2, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Deann

Except when they interfere with my rights. For example in a public school or university why should I be subjected to having my view blocked by this ridiculously large pieces of clothing? Or be distracted by the constant fiddling they require to keep them adjusted. These costumes are just another way to get attention.

April 2, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • Dea2

The scarves lie close to the head, regular hair styles block more of the view to the front of the classroom. I see boys with bigger hair styles than these scarves present. If you are too short to see around the person in front of you, maybe you need to sit in the front.

April 2, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • paperjihad

When I was visiting Moscow, I saw a lot of Russian Orthodox women covering their hair in the cathedrals. I see elderly Catholic women doing the same thing here in the US.

April 2, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
  10. go back to pakistan

take your wrapped up head and smell and leave. Leave you're not wanted here. You are like a cancer.

April 2, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • peacppl

hyuck hyuck....ill go back when you grow teeth!

April 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • peacppl

nothing smells worse than a wasted hillbilly..

April 2, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • News1973

They can't go back. All the Islamic countries are wastelands and/or have unstable governments. Now they want to do the same here.

April 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • paperjihad

Perhaps it would make more sense to encourage Muslim immigrants to leave the US by having the US leave their countries?

April 2, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • paperjihad

@News1973,

It seems to me rather than wanting to do that in the US they are trying diligently to overturn government corruption in their own lands. Read the news much?

April 2, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
  11. chuckmartel

All the dark age dribble in this article about a piece of clothing. It is a piece of fabric for Christs sake. Get over it. What a bunch of backward fundamentalist hogwash. And this muslim is mainstream. Ridiculous. Who needs this crap. The bible bangers are tame compared to these islami bozos.

April 2, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
  12. beantown

I hate religion, and what it does to people. You think you're a good person cause you walk around with a scarf, but if you compare yourself horizontally - to God - you're the best person burning in Hell without forgiveness covering you. First be covered by the blood of the lamb, then cover your body by conviction.

April 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • Jarrod

Wow, you got some hate issues to work out.

April 2, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Beantown

Actually, I think God hates religion too.

April 2, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • FifthApe

Jarrod – If you actually believe in an invisible sky daddy then its you that has issues. But then hey, maybe you need that. Its really an adult security blanket for those who are so frightened of their mortality so they wont pee the bed at night.

April 2, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • paperjihad

@beantown,

Religion is test to 'separate the wheat from the chaff', so to speak, and extremists and egotistical people who distort the religion probably aren't so much the wheat part either. Religion isn't easy to 'do' correctly.

April 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  13. James

Looks like a fancy Du Rag to me–I waer one of those a lot here in Texas during the summer. Soaked in cold water first–LOL

April 2, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  14. LC

Hate to see folks delude themselves. Islam, like all religion, is nothing but a collection of stories and myth, and if these sisters feel so insecure about the foundations of their "faith" that they need to display something-go ahead. SImply reflects a fundamental intellectual dishonety.

April 2, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
  15. Joe from Kalispell

Past excesses by other religions DOES NOT justify what Islam stands for or what Islamic terrorists are doing in the world. I see the violence in Islamic countries today. Not just against non-Muslims but against themselves for slight differences in belief. I do not want that to happen here and I am willing to cast out Muslims just to be sure.

April 2, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • gmoney

I would venture to say that most so-called Islamic terrorists are using Islam as a means to further their political/social/economic agenda. Nothing motivates like ones own faith. Islam itself is the victim here.

April 2, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • peacppl

afghanistani illiterates dont represent muslims ....but you all have your minds made up so keep hating....it will get you where you wanna go losers

April 2, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  16. Az Zaqqum

Ridiculous! As an Islamic scholar I can assure you that the Quran does NOT tell women to cover thier hair!
    The quran clearly says to use the veil to cover the bosom! Now, unless they've grown on her head she is not following the quran but following hadith, stories of muhammad, which the quran says NOT to do.
    A few of the companions of Muhammad were watching his wives pee, so the order of the veil to cover everything was revealed.
    The hijab is an insult to men. Many imams try hard to convince believers that hair is a genital and must be covered so it doesn't turn a man on.
    The power is in the words. And the words do not say to cover the hair.

If you want to know more just type my name in your browser.

April 2, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • FifthApe

'As an Islamic scholar' – talk about a life wasted.

April 2, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • BG

"Islamic scholar"

I learned a new oxymoron today!

(Quick... someone creative call me a moron. I need some humility today.)

April 2, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • mohamed

first you are not a muslim scholar by any means and yes ALLAH(arabic for GOD)arab christian called GOD, ALLAH.we muslims are following all the prophets including prophet jesus phuh.did you ever see mary ,mother of jesus without a veil or hijab as in arabic.hijab simply means to cover or veil.prophet moses wife also wore a veil or hijab.whats the propblem with the veil look at all the women in winter the all have a veil to cover from the veil.the hijab also prevents skin cancer especially facial shin cancer so its healthy to wear the hijab or veil.a baseball cap is considered a hijab or veil which simply means to cover.

April 2, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • bethe123

FifthApe

'As an Islamic scholar' – talk about a life wasted.

Indeed...not only a wasted life, but an oxymoron. "Islamic Scholar" (LOL!!)

April 2, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • paperjihad

@Az,

Then as an Islamic scholar you know the Qur'an is not the only source of Islamic law. At the very least, hijab is supported by ijma, which as you know is the third source of Islamic law aside from hadith. And as a Muslim scholar you understand the superiority of fiqh over quoting ayahs, hadiths, and whatnot.

April 2, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • paperjihad

@bethe123,

Actually, Islamic scholarship is a serious matter and requires years of dedicated study to master. In the Sunni tradition you can only master scholarship from another scholar with a sound isnad – an unbroken genealogy of scholarship dating back to the Prophet himself. Scholarship is transmitted in a traditional master-to-apprentice methodology. Quranic exegesis, hadith authentication, fiqh, aqeedah are all complex matters, and it is very rare to find anyone today who has mastered all of them.

Peace.

April 2, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • bethe123

Paperjihad - If you don't understand why "Islamic Scholar" is an oxymoron, there is little hope for you.

April 2, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • paperjihad

@bethe123,

Honestly, I understand the complexities of my religion better than you do, because I've studied it under the scholars I've mentioned. I've also studied – and work – in the field of computer science, so I can appreciate the importance of making statements based on fact. You can believe what you want, and I'll believe what I know.

Peace.

April 2, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • bethe123

paperjihad - You only amplify my point.

April 2, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • BG

@ paperjihad (love the name, btw)

You claim to understand the complexities of Islam. Fine. Let's have a go.

A premise of Islam is that the Koran is perfect. However, the Koran has many conflicting and va-gue references that directly and indirectly allude to violence which 'extremists' use to justify acts of terrorism. The vast majority of Muslims maintain that the terrorists are not following the 'peaceful intent' of the Koran, however Islamic religious authorities refuse to offer any clarification or modification to the Koran which would preclude any interpretations of terrorism. Because of this, there are multiple and often conflicting interpretations of the Koran across the nations and peoples of the ME. It has been said by Muslims, and Muslim apostates, that you can interpret the Koran to support whatever you want it to. However, in it's present form, it is "perfect."

I really would like a rational explanation for this. And please, spare me the invariable references to the ancient texts of the Christian bible which are obviously not applied to our contemporary society, i.e., you won't find any American clergymen who advocate archaic punishments that are clearly socially or legally unacceptable today.)

I've asked this question many times to supposedly Muslim bloggers. All I've every gotten in response, when there was a response, was gibberish.

April 2, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  17. peacppl

No muslim would DARE burn a bible...

April 2, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • chuckmartel

Let them. Who cares. See how many people get killed. Try zero.

April 2, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • Stompin on Mohommed's Face

Total bullshlt. Muslims LOVE to burn bibles! They do it all the time. Quit being a bullshltter and maybe someone will listen to you, puke-boy.

April 2, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • Dea2

Radicals from all religions burn the books and arts from all other religions. That;s the cancer. The rabid few become the norm in people's minds because they don't see the rest.

April 2, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • HistProf

Why burn a bible when you can simply kill the believer?

April 2, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
  18. mommers

What a stupid, pointless article, CNN. Are we suppose to feel sorry for these women? Do they feel like they have to explain themselves all the time? NO ONE CARES how they live their lives as long as they don't bug the rest of us. Pointless.

April 2, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • gmoney

Not necessarily. At the very least it humanizes a group of people that have been more or less demonized in public discourse & media.

April 2, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • BG

"more or less demonized"

Well, which is it?

April 2, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
  19. peacppl

Islam believes in the same God as you all, revere Jesus and mention Mary more than the Bible..which we also believe in...IGNORANT muslims fanatics are just as bad as the far right christian protestant fanatics who burn someones holy book

April 2, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
    • News1973

All religions are garbage, but they are not all equal.

When's the last time Christians beheaded and killed people for burning the Bible?

The Muslims did that yesterday in Afghanistan. They killed 5 UN workers and beheaded two of them. Burning a Koran is not on the same level of barabarism as killing people and beheading them.

Wake up!

April 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Dea2

What's bad is that the same people who get all worked up about something a Muslim does, either ignores or condones "Christians" who do the same thing, or worse.

April 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • News1973

Once again, Christians can be wacky, but they don't behead anyone and they arent on the news every night for terrorism. Islam has some serious problems and the moderate muslims need to step up and join the community rather than hiding in theor mosques and claiming that they are discriminated against.

April 2, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • Dea2

That's because American news channels report what gets them the most viewers. Americans would rather see stories about the beheadings in the Middle East than the kidnapping and murder of an innocent American by other Americans, unless of course the kidnapped one is Christian and the kidnappers are not, or the kidnapped person is white and the others are not.

April 2, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • HistProf

Hey Peacppl...the Quranic Jesus is "Isa" and not the same. There isn't even a close derivative of Yeshua to Isa. It is you who are ignorant in believing that Allah of the Koran and God of the Bible are the same. It is you who are ignorant in believing that Isa of the Koran and Yeshua of the Bible are the same. They are not the same. Finally, Mary is another human...Muslims believe they are saved by their humanly acts...Christians do not. So to focus on Yeshua and not Mary is appropriate. Remember, they are not the same...

April 2, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
  20. FifthApe

Islam is bad. Its all myth but it has a number or believers that are insane as we have all seen and that has lead to all kinds of atrocities.

But Christianity, while not as dangerous is based on beliefs that are just as ridiculous and obviously a myth as well. I mean, how many here *really* think there was a world wide flood with 8 humans (and 2 of all animals!) saved on an Ark after the all loving god killed everything in sight due to a hissy fit. Think people – is 2011 for gods sake 🙂

April 2, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • Jarrod

Your argument is just as old as the flood. Just cuz it's 2011 does not mean you have some new progressive way of thinking. In 800 b.c. people started to question deities and the divine. Good luck with your uneducated opinions because your recount of the Flood is inaccurate. Do some theological research, take some classes on philosophy, and then you may realize it's more complex the situation than your simple minded argument. Arrogance and ignorance usually go hand in hand.

April 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • News1973

I agree ht all religions are kinda bad, but Islam is by far the most violent.

Not all Muslims are terrorists, but 99% of terrorists happen to be Muslim.

Give it up CNN, everyday you have a front page story about Islam. Its pretty obvious you are trying to force an agenda down people's throats.

April 2, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • FifthApe

Jarrod – So you * believe* this actually took place? Tell me then (I have such a simple mind). Just how did the marsupials all get back to Australia after the food was over? Where did all the water go?

And most of all – why was god such a murderous SOB? What about all the babies in that number? But then as the bible shows, he has no trouble killing babies (Numbers 31 – just to start).

April 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • Deann

This article was not about the religion but about the fact women are required to wear head scarves. The head scarve is just another way to draw attention to the woman and to assert that Muslim men can not control their urges towards women. It gives them an excuse. They are a complete distraction and should not be allowed in public schools or universities. Multiculturalism does not work and only contributes to tearing a community apart. But hey that is what Islam wants for America.

April 2, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • muslim

"The Christaians can be wacky, but you don't see them beheading people because someone burned a Bible."
      What is the education and income level of christians and what is thhe education level of Afghani muslim?? Please do not try to compare apples with oranges. Uneducated christians in Africa are burning women for being witches and killing gays. Wait a minute only half a century ago KKK (a christian grup) was holding crosses and hunting fro jews and blacks.

April 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • paperjihad

@News1973

Do you have the figures to back up that statement? Because the 2010 EU Terrorism Situation and Trend Report listed that in 2009 terror attacks in the EU from Islamist was only about 0.34 percent. Of the 297 incidents, only 1 – a bombing in Italy – was from so-called Islamists. This is what the figures say... 0.34 percent, not 99 percent. Please recheck your math, because spreading lies, even if unintentional, can only bring harm to others.

Peace.

April 2, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • Jeff S

You're right, that's why thousands of years ago, people who could barely build local-area boats, from China, India, South America, the Middle East, Africa, and Nordic lands all met up and set up "The Great Deception for a Future Where it Will Be Used to Wage Wars of No Consequence to us for Thousands of Years." This is why there is a similar flood and ark story from all of those places. They were all participating in a grand plan, set in place by a guy named Fred, 6,000 years ago, to pull a trick on us.

I can look at nearly everything in the bible and see that it could be accomplished today, sometimes literally, sometimes in scientific theory with technology not yet invented.

Immaculate Conception: Artificial insemination, cloning, genetic engineering
      Flying off into the heavens on a pillar of cloud: Space shuttle
      Non-humans breeding with humans forming a cross-breed: been done with other animals (mules)
      Noah's Ark: DNA banks of endangered species exist today. A vial takes up less space than an elephant
      Destroying a city with "fire and brimstone from the sky": Nukes

April 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • HeavenSent

This comment from a delusional that believes he came from monkeys (LOL).

April 2, 2011 at 4:16 pm |