home
RSS
April 5th, 2011

Eyeing a national museum, a collector’s Bibles hits the road

By Gabe LaMonica, CNN

Washington (CNN) - Steve Green owns a lot of Bibles, and he’s starting to show them off.

The president of Hobby Lobby, a national chain of craft stores, Green bought his first biblical artifact less than a year and a half ago. But his is already considered one of the world’s largest private collection of biblical texts and artifacts, and Green is taking it on tour in advance of opening what he says will be a national Bible museum.

The tour kicked off last week with a party at the Vatican embassy in Washington that highlighting samples from a 14,000 square foot traveling exhibition, which is called “Passages.” It’s a prelude to the high-tech Bible museum Green wants to open in the next five or so years.

“The Bible has had a huge impact on societies - politics, the arts, science, music, literature,” says Green, who is Christian. “The impact of the book is a story that we feel needs to be told and that is what we are interested in doing - and encouraging people to consider what it has to say.”

“We believe it is the most incredible book that’s ever been written,” he says. “It is a book that has been ridiculed and vilified and yet loved.”

Passages will appear at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art from May to October before moving to St. Peter’s Square in Rome. The exhibit will arrive in New York City sometime this winter.

Green says he’s unsure of the location for his eventual museum but that he wants it to rely heavily on digitized Bibles, so that visitors and scholars can interact with them.

Some items from the Green Collection are now on exhibition at museums and specialty libraries in the United States and Europe.

The collection’s 30,000 biblical antiquities emphasize Jewish, Catholic and Protestant contributions to the book.

“The Bible didn’t come from Mount Sinai to Moses and end up in a Red Roof Inn desk drawer,” says Scott Carol, director of the collection.

“There was a process and Passages tells the dramatic story of that process,” says Carol, a former college professor specializing in biblical manuscripts.

From cuneiform tablets dating back thousands of years to parts of the Dead Sea scrolls to brilliantly illuminated psalmodies (collections of psalms), Green’s collection encompasses Bibles and books that helped influence the Bible’s formation.

The collection includes one of the largest repositories of cuneiform tablets. The clay tablets, named for the wedge-shaped script in which they were written, are important tools for translating ancient biblical writings.

The collection also includes a large portion of a Gutenberg Bible, which provoked the 15th century revolution in printing, and a King James Bible, an influential English translation that’s marking its 400th anniversary this year.

Then there’s the so-called Wicked Bible from the 17th century, so named because it accidentally omits the word “not” in the commandment “Thou shall not commit adultery.”

The collection’s gem is the Codex Climaci Rescriptus, one of the world’s earliest surviving Bibles, thought to be from sometime between the 6th and 8th centuries.

Written in Palestinian Aramaic, the language used in Jesus’ home, the collection worked with Britain’s University of Oxford to develop a technology that uncovered the earliest known New Testament, also from between the 6th and 8th centuries, from a layer in codex.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • DC • United States

1. Matt

I can reword this easily "The Bible is a book, and collection of stories of which we, Christians want you to read and blindly accept. To look at it critically is to defy your god, and you will be punished. Believe what we believe, or be shunned." The Bible SHOULD be in a Museum, but not to convince people that what it says has anything to do with truth. Just like Aesops Fables, it is a book with lessons, and nothing more. To take it literally... well you may as well be an adult that believes in Santa, the Easter Bunny, or the Tooth Fairy. Just because something is in an OLD book does NOT make it so.

April 5, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Matt, look up the word reprobate.

April 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
    • Matt

Look up the word 'rube'

April 5, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • Matt

I love how you claim to be a Christian yet follow none of the ACTUAL teachings of Jesus. Aside from the whole believing in the invisible man thing, I guarantee you I live a more 'pure' existence than you do, without even trying. You're on here judging people and quoting scripture, calling names even, and have exactly zero idea what you're even fighting for. You want people to join your Christian cult? Hell, a Unitarian Universalist is closer to god than you are. A Buddhist is closer to god than you are, and they dont even have one. Honestly stop tooting your own horn and read a book other than the bible, cure your ignorance.

April 5, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • sea king

look up the word "smegma" as this is the best description of HeavenSent I could find in the dictionary...

April 5, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  2. derp

Jeebus loves when you collect bibbles and charge peepul to see em.

April 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Mark 8:38

April 5, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • Matt

HeavenSent – You believe that do you? Haven't seen any fire-breathing angels of wrath in my day, and I suspect you wont either.

April 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Mark, read all the books in Revelation (which means to reveal). You are the end days generation. We are in birth pains, contracting shorter and shorter since Israel got their land back.

April 5, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • Matt

HeavenSent, I remember taking bets the world would still be here when I woke up in 1999, 2000, 2001, and soon-to-be 2012 (which isnt even a Christian prophecy). You're probably too young to remember, but EVERY generation has a story in which they claim 'The End IS Near". I would make you a friendly bet that not ONLY will you die of old age, during the mid-term, you will be cured of various diseases not by god, but by Medical Science. $50, straight up, we're still here in 2013.

April 5, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • derp

He who smellith my knuggets will henceforth have a foul odor upon his nostrils.

Ralph 6.23

April 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  3. Chanselor Jenkins

Colin,

Your father smells of elder berries. I fart in your general direction. You are about as scientific as a hammer.

April 5, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • Colin

Hey John Cleese, I am afraid I missed your point.

April 5, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Oven Mitts Romney

Your mother was a hamster! Now begone or I will taunt you a second time!

April 5, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  4. Colin

Ryan and other creationists make me break two rules I try to stick to; (i) do not engage particularly silly comments as it only falsely elevates them to "debatable"; and (ii) be courteous to those who are of different opinions. I can't, they just play so fast and loose with the truth, misrepresent everything evolution says and obstinately reject any fact, no matter how obvious, that is inconsistent with their talking snake theory.

I wish the general public was scientifically literate enough to know just how stupid and what liars these creationist people are, but alas, our education system has let us down.

April 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Colin wrote: "our education system has let us down."

Don't think that's an accident!!!! The dumbing-down of America has been progressing according to plan for the past several decades. If you think about it, the majority of the jobs that will be required in the future will be mainly in the service and sales industries... higher-level work can and has been farmed out to India and China....

April 5, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Colin

LardLover, You're right. It's that d-a-m-n Sanjay Gupta again!!

April 5, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Colin, I retired from one of the science communities. Go figure!

The boastful shall not stand in Your sight; You hate all workers of iniquity. You shall destroy those who speak falsehood; the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.

Psalm 5:5-6

April 5, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Lard, the dumbing down is for NOT believing in Jesus Christ. Why do you think they are so fierce on insuring the family unit doesn't survive? How they ensuring the g-ay lifestyle is acceptable? How, they convinced all of you to bash Christians and Jesus' teachings on Truth.

I could go on and on, but you're proof of what I write.

April 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • Matt

HeavenSent, I dunno, but Christianity sure did teach you to be intolerant, judgmental person didnt it? I'm pretty sure you're violating your own principles since "Judgment is reserved for God and God alone." Stop judging people or you're going to hell.

-Atheist 🙂

April 5, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  5. mckillio

Just another reason not to go to hobby lobby.

April 5, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • mb2010a

Have you ever noticed that EVERYTHING in Hobby Lobby is made in China? Real American company...

April 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  6. Chanselor Jenkins

John if you do not like the way we live in the USA go live summers else.

April 5, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  7. John

Should secular Americans be subjected to the delusions of Christians? Regardless of how happy and blissful you may be, I find the modern projection of Judeo-Christian theology on American society to be both hypocritical and bereft of beauty. This is overwhelmingly evident in the gross inequity that exists between the teachings of the bible and the capitalist-corporate state we all live in. As a nation in the pursuit of freedom and justice we absolutely have to acknowledge reality and eradicate all religious overtones in politics and the government.

April 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

April 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • derp

Listen to me! Or the magic book that tells me to tell you to listen to me will be mad that you didn't listen to me. Then I will quote from the book of listen to me, things about listening to me because you don't listen to me.

Jeebusaves!

April 5, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@derp: What?

April 5, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • Matt

I agree. To each their own and do what makes you happy. Try to make me do what YOU want me to do, or be, and you'll get a nasty surprise.

April 5, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  8. Yuppie

Ryan clearly doesn't understand the difference between a scientific Law vs a scientific Theory.

April 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

There's a lot that Ryan doesn't understand, but since he appears to run his life in accordance with a bunch of ancient fairy tales, he doesn't need to understand anything. It's all been pre-digested for him, and as long as he doesn't bother trying to actually think for himself, he'll have no worries, as he'll fit right into a hierarchy of similarly deluded people.

April 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Yuppie was watching the science channel last night.

April 5, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

HeavenSent (?) wrote: "Yuppie was watching the science channel last night."

While that may be true, at least one can learn something watching the science channel, as opposed to wallowing in the ignorance of the religion channels...

April 5, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Here's a few scriptures that you should read.

Deuteronomy 28:15 But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

Deuteronomy 28:16 Cursed [shalt] thou [be] in the city, and cursed [shalt] thou [be] in the field.

Deuteronomy 28:17 Cursed [shall be] thy basket and thy store.

Deuteronomy 28:18 Cursed [shall be] the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy land, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.

Deuteronomy 28:19 Cursed [shalt] thou [be] when thou comest in, and cursed [shalt] thou [be] when thou goest out.

Deuteronomy 28:20 The LORD shall send upon thee cursing, vexation, and rebuke, in all that thou settest thine hand unto for to do, until thou be destroyed, and until thou perish quickly; because of the wickedness of thy doings, whereby thou hast forsaken me.

Deuteronomy 28:21 The LORD shall make the pestilence cleave unto thee, until he have consumed thee from off the land, whither thou goest to possess it.

Deuteronomy 28:22 The LORD shall smite thee with a consumption, and with a fever, and with an inflammation, and with an extreme burning, and with the sword, and with blasting, and with mildew; and they shall pursue thee until thou perish.

April 5, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

I don't read fiction...

April 5, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • derp

Jeebus aves.

April 5, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • derp

"The Law of Gravity says things move towards the center of a mass. The Theory of gravity attempts to explain why."

Christians don't believe in gravity. It is actually intelligent falling. Things are not drawn down by gravity, they are shoved down by god.

Except for Chuck Norris, he floats because he is stronger than god.

April 5, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  9. mb2010a

Jesus was a student of Simon...he lived 70 years after the Prophet Simon of Samaria and learned from Simon's mistakes. Simon also claimed to be a prophet of G_d, performed "miracles", etc.; and ended up condemned to die in the desert. If you read about Simon, the things Jesus did and taught were the same things Simon did and taught. The only difference is that Simon preached against the Romans and the Jewish hierarchy, which Jesus did not do. Neither one was a god...just men trying to teach people how to live in trying times.

April 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • HeavenSent

mb, why don't you card carrying Talmud thumpers come out of the closet.

We read His truth. We know the ending to your burn in the eternal flames, blotted out. No more eternity for you and if you erect a statute for yourself, that too will tumble.

April 5, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Matt

HeavenSent – You need psychological help.

April 5, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Matt wrote: "HeavenSent – You need psychological help."

I'm afraid it's too late...

April 5, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • Matt

^

April 5, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  10. John

April 5, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

John wrote: "Bibles belong in museums, not in the hands of depressed, impressionable, and under-educated Americans. The masters of our society pray on these simpletons with disgusting ease."

You meant to say "The masters of our society PREY on these simpletons..."

At least I hope that's what you meant, as that's the truth...

April 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Wow, and you folks think you use your gray matter? LOL.

April 5, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  11. HeavenSent

Fake, seriously do you sit here and watch for my posts and then post your own in an attempt to discredit me. Coward.

April 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Phony HeavenSent. So you fixed it that both of us can be on at the same time, instead of knocking me out of an article. Now you are writing about being a fake to your own post? You have some serious issues, besides being g-ay.

April 5, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Hey phony heavensent. Do you know Scott who used to live in Arizona and now lives in California.

LOL.

April 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Fake HeavenSent, the only phony is you. Whoever you are, you are clearly doing the Devils deeds. You an your coward friends cannot stop me or the word of Jesus. And there is nothing wrong with being g-a-y. You and your coward friends will burn.

April 5, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  12. Christina

Thank you, Steve Green. I'm looking forward to seeing this museum! It takes a lot of courage to start something like this AND to have a store that proudly represents OUR GOD.

However, it does disappoints me to read the comments that follow this article. There are a lot of people in this world and we all are very different- different lives, loves, perspectives... Christian or not, I think that respect, as humans, is a basic thing we should all be able to expect of each other. I respect this man for doing what others can not.

To say that nothing in the bible has ever been proven/or evident, is completely ridiculous. There is just as much evidence of Jesus' existence as there is of anything else you all have mentioned. Whether or not you accept him as the Savior, is a matter of faith and belief. And again, we all need to respect that... that and Gay rights. Which, are not one in the same, but that seems to be peoples only negetive come back to Christians these days.

NOT ALL CHRISTIANS BELIEVE THAT BEING GAY IS A CONDEMABLE SIN!!!!!!!! Just as not all Christians believe in Paligamy or something. That is for GOD himself to judge, not me or any other Christian. I believe that God expects me, above all else, to respect EVERY human life and leave the judging up to Him.

April 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Christina, very well said. There is nothing wrong with being gay. I realize there are some that will judge me because of this but there is nothing I can do.

April 5, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Christina, the phony heavensent that steals my handle and wrote the comments to you is an abomination to the Lord Jesus Christ.

April 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Colin

Ok, who is g-ay, the real HS or the fake HS, or is there just one schitzophrenis, $eksually conflicted soul involved? Oh how you two (or one) confuse us all.

April 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Colin, I think it is obvious who the real one is. I think the fake one is you or somebody else on here. Yes I am gay and the fake one is attempting to discredit me because they are a coward or cowards.

April 5, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Colin, the fake heavensent works for CNN. When he originally posted at the same time I was on this site earlier, his post kicked me off this article site. Now, he's changed it so he can be on at the same time I am on. The phony heavensent is gay. I am not gay, nor would I ever want to be with the same equipment as I have. Talk about controlling another. Would a Christian do this to a non-believer? No. This guy has NO shame. No eternity either if he doesn't change his way. He's an abomination to the Lord and he knows it because he follows the Talmud.

April 5, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Colin

I knew it. Sanjay Gupta, cut it out.

April 5, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Maybe

HeavenSent,

". Would a Christian do this to a non-believer?

Yes. I have caught a couple of them, and have called them out. They are not very clever.

I do wish that this fake would quit it, though. It's not funny anymore. HeavenSent does a fine job of discrediting him/herself without assistance. Plus, you are keeping her too busy refuting you and therefore she is not able to stay focused on her oh-so-easy to debunk nonsense.

April 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Maybe

Colin,

"I knew it. Sanjay Gupta,"

LOL 🙂

April 5, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • HeavenSent

@Maybe: I'm pretty sure there's more than one imposter.

April 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm |

Ooops, examen.

April 5, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  13. halflife

Well, is there are traveling road shows for Santa and other fables then why not for "God"?

April 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  14. mb2010a

HeavenSent: Fred Phelps, is that you???

April 5, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • HeavenSent

mb, do you think you know the phony heavensent? Well, he's tipping his hand on a lot of stupidity he's posted this afternoon.

April 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  15. Artist

HeavenSent – I generally do not post. But I have to ask you. Are you playing the "fake" HeavenSent to bring attention to yourself. You mentioned on another post about being gay and a christian. Are you doing this for attention? Is there a conflict or anger going on? I just have to wonder and ask.

April 5, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Hellboy

Anyone who expects a straight answer out of someone as insane as HeavenSent is retarded. Turn in your brain and go back to work!

April 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm |

Hellboy, you are a fool
      Amen,

Artist, no I am not angry about being gay. I am not sure why people are copying my name. I can only assume it is the work of the Devil or his Demons. If you stand for Jesus expect to be atacked.

April 5, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Artist, my spouse passed away in 1998. I am not gay, but apparently the phony heavensent is a ho-m-o-s-ex-ual and can't stand the fact that this life is all he gets, then to the eternal flames, botted out. No eternity for him if he doesn't change his ways and repent. Now I know why he stole my handle. He absolutely wants the confusion to continue about Jesus' truth. He follows the Talmud (fake scriptures that wants as many people to become g-ay – all lies to oppose Jesus' truth).

April 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Fake HeavenSent, you stooped to a new low. My Partner passed away in 1998. You obviously hate ho m o s ex uals. The only person who needs to repent is you.

April 5, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  16. Tim

The Bible is not at fault for the crimes and atrocities committed by the churches in the "name of God." Rather, it is because the churches have failed to heed Jesus command, in which he told his eleven faithful apostles at John 13:34, 35: "I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” If a person disregards the instructions of a quality product and it fails, whose fault is it ?

The churches have said that they love Jesus, but Jesus said in response: "Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew you ! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness."(Matt 7:21-23) He further said to the churches: "Why, then, do you call me ‘Lord! Lord!’ but do not do the things I say ? "(Luke 6:46)

As a result, the churches, along with the rest of the religions that do not follow Jesus commands closely, will be dealt with in the near future. At Revelation 18, our Creator, Jehovah God, pleads with individuals to remove themselves from the global empire of false religion, that is called Babylon the Great (Rev 17:5), by saying: "Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues. For her sins have massed together clear up to heaven, and God has called her acts of injustice to mind."(Rev 18:4, 5) Revelation 18:8 says that God will ' burn her completely with fire', meaning her complete destruction.

April 5, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Ryan

Very well said, Tim!

April 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Christina

AMEN, Tim... that's what i was trying to say!

April 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • Fuyuko

sure it is. suffer not the witch to live.

April 5, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  17. Stephanie

The Bible tells us to judge no one but ourselves. God gave us a right to believe in whatever we choose. My heart tells me that God is my Lord and Savior! I don't think people should be bashing the Bible..if you choose not to believe it then don't but don't post negatively about it. There's really no need in being immature about things and trying to start a fight. If an article doesn't concern you then don't read it. Simple as that.

April 5, 2011 at 3:54 pm |

Flamin'

April 5, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Byrd

The "judge not" thing was added so we wouldn't judge this god for being such a monumental louse. Fine. I'll judge him by his actions and he can judge me by mine...and then we'll see who comes out on top.

April 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Srephanie quit kissing their a$ $. Stand strong and be strong for Jesus.

April 5, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Stephanie, that was the phony heavensent that steals my handle. He's a liar, cheat, non-believer, coward and a ho-mo-se-x-ual.

April 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • Fuyuko

The bible is not above critique. Nothing made by man should be. Even the bible has things in it that are wrong or evil. While it also has good, it also has evil.

April 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  18. Byrd

In Genesis, it says that this God destroyed the Earth, and makes rather short of it, I might add. Millions and possibly billions of people killed and it rates only a few short lines. And yet you worship this Beast.

Not me. I don't worship anything.

April 5, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bryd, then you will burn in hell. You need to get right with Jesus Byrd.

April 5, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Byrd

Show me the Pit and I'll do a forward one and a half with a half twist added for good measure. This god you speak of, by his own words(according to you), destroyed our world (see Genesis) and yet you worship him. Now I ask you, which one of us here really needs to be saved?

April 5, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Byrd

HeavenSent: I'm just a hunk, a hunk of burning love.....

April 5, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Ryan

Millions die every day, and it doesn't even rate a blurb on the media. Why the sudden caring from you, Byrd?

April 5, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Byrd, I just wrote you now. That was the phony heavensent that steals my handle to write his stupidity to you.

April 5, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • Ryan

Darkstar, Natural Selection obviously didn't select you for advancement. I've read and studied Evolution and The Origin of Species extensively – one has to do so to graduate nowadays. Obviously you're so ignorant that you don't even know how flawed your own beliefs are. Darwin didn't even believe in the Theory of Evolution (yes, that's right, it's a theory still, not a fact like the Law of Gravity which can be observed and therefore proven). Don't worry, I also understand. Your underdeveloped, Cro-Magnon brain can't handle the idea that there might be someone out there smarter than you. Just keep beating your chest and howling, you're just making noise.

April 5, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • SIxoh

Only yourself, huh Byrd? People always look up to someone. If it isn't their maker, then it is a false idol....usually money, drugs, or whatever they need to get by on.

April 5, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • Maybe

Ryan,

The *possibility* of a higher power – yes. The chance that it is the one dreamed up by Middle Eastern Jews and Arabs – infinitesimal to none.

April 5, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Jesus

The Biblical penalty for not believing is for believers to stone you to death. So tell me where you live so I can load up my pickup with lots of rocks and pay you a visit.

April 5, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • FifthApe

Here is an example of a sick mind (very similar to the extreme Muslim in many respects)

"HeavenSent
      Bryd, then you will burn in hell. You need to get right with Jesus Byrd.
      Amen."

Reminds me of the Carlin bit..... "You will burn and choke and scream in pain forever...... BUT HE LOVES YOU"

The god myths are so funny...

April 5, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

FifthApe wrote: "The god myths are so funny..."

They would be except that they often lead to tragic results when people take them seriously...

April 5, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • JJ

@HeavenSent –

There is no such thing as h-ell. It is a mythical place created by humans to make people behave through fear.

April 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  19. Byrd

A travelling road show for the book that would be far more correctly named: The Lie. What could possibly be more appropriate in the circus that America has become.

April 5, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Ryan

We have travelling road shows telling little kids their ancestor was a monkey, but they can't explain where the monkey came from nor show any evidence of monkeys changing to humans, despite fossils of dinosaurs, birds, mammals, and fish from the same time period. It's a circus all right, playing ring-around-the-rosie with our kids minds right as soon as they start going to school until they're completely brainwashed to follow the Theory of Evolution, singing the praises of Saint Darwin.

April 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • darkstar

Ryan,

Do you have to work at being ignorant or does it simply come naturally? You have absolutely no idea of anything that you are slobbering about. Evolution is a fact, has been objectively demonstrated more times than you can possibly imagine, and numerous evidence to back up its claims. Your silly 'buy-bull' has absolutely not one single fact to back up any of your miraculous claims of special creation or supernatural events. I do understand though: it is always easier to read one book than a bunch of hard ones. Ignorance is bliss.

April 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • Progressive-atheist

Hahahahaha you believe in myths. Evolution is true. If you want evidence go to a natural history museum and/or read a science book about evolution. Unlike the bible -evolution has evidence to not only support it, but prove it true. The bible has no evidence other than people who say 'i believe the bible because my mommy said it's true and her mommy...and they were all hillbillies'...

April 5, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Lycidas

Progressive-atheist- HAhahahahahaha, you believe someone loves you. That's a myth isn't it?

April 5, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • Spencer

Love is a chemical reaction in the brain, it has be proven many times.It does feel good but is well docu-mented.

April 5, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • FifthApe

Ryan..... How old is the Earth?

April 5, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

FifthApe asked: "How old is the Earth?"

Depends on your frame of reference... our time system is based on the rotation of the earth... Other planets may have other units...

April 5, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  20. Ryan

And, yes, I do believe Samson killed those Philistines with the jawbone. I believe every part of the Word of God to be true, and I'm not afraid to say it (or write it, as the case were).

April 5, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Mary Magdalene

Oh Ryan, you make baby Jesus cry. Sham on you!

April 5, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Ryan, Amen from the real HeavenSent. The phony heavensent is a non-believer who's obviously angry since I mentioned he must be following the Talmud.

April 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • SIxoh

Just remember Ryan, all those who curse you and laugh at you....you have 10x that many people on your side.

April 5, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Michael

You are the weakest link, good-bye.

April 5, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • Jesus

I believe as well. I believe that a guy can live inside a whale, that another fellow can load up two of every animal on the planet in a boat, and that a guy can walk on water and rise from the dead. I also believe in zombies, Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and that if I click my heels twice, I will land up in Oz.

April 5, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • holycow

Thank you for stating your opinion without alienating anyone.

April 5, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • Fuyuko

The bible is written by man not god. the only way to prove god ever said anything in the bible is for god to have told you and the world personally. Since this hasn't happened, its all 'revealed' religion and thus suspect.

April 5, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • Not All Docs Play Golf

Yeah, well, I don't think a guy named Jonah spent 3 days in the belly of a whale...and I'm not afraid to say it!

April 5, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Not All Docs Play Golf: Not a whale. The bible calls it "a great fish."

Yes, that somehow makes all the difference.

April 5, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • FifthApe

Ryan

Then I hope you don't hold any job of importance. I must question your rationality. Did god really like slave keeping then as set out in Exodus 21? And why did (what purpose) he allow the young virgin girls to live while killing all baby boys in Numbers 31?

April 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm |