home
RSS
April 5th, 2011

Eyeing a national museum, a collector’s Bibles hits the road

By Gabe LaMonica, CNN

Washington (CNN) - Steve Green owns a lot of Bibles, and he’s starting to show them off.

The president of Hobby Lobby, a national chain of craft stores, Green bought his first biblical artifact less than a year and a half ago. But his is already considered one of the world’s largest private collection of biblical texts and artifacts, and Green is taking it on tour in advance of opening what he says will be a national Bible museum.

The tour kicked off last week with a party at the Vatican embassy in Washington that highlighting samples from a 14,000 square foot traveling exhibition, which is called “Passages.” It’s a prelude to the high-tech Bible museum Green wants to open in the next five or so years.

“The Bible has had a huge impact on societies - politics, the arts, science, music, literature,” says Green, who is Christian. “The impact of the book is a story that we feel needs to be told and that is what we are interested in doing - and encouraging people to consider what it has to say.”

“We believe it is the most incredible book that’s ever been written,” he says. “It is a book that has been ridiculed and vilified and yet loved.”

Passages will appear at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art from May to October before moving to St. Peter’s Square in Rome. The exhibit will arrive in New York City sometime this winter.

Green says he’s unsure of the location for his eventual museum but that he wants it to rely heavily on digitized Bibles, so that visitors and scholars can interact with them.

Some items from the Green Collection are now on exhibition at museums and specialty libraries in the United States and Europe.

The collection’s 30,000 biblical antiquities emphasize Jewish, Catholic and Protestant contributions to the book.

“The Bible didn’t come from Mount Sinai to Moses and end up in a Red Roof Inn desk drawer,” says Scott Carol, director of the collection.

“There was a process and Passages tells the dramatic story of that process,” says Carol, a former college professor specializing in biblical manuscripts.

From cuneiform tablets dating back thousands of years to parts of the Dead Sea scrolls to brilliantly illuminated psalmodies (collections of psalms), Green’s collection encompasses Bibles and books that helped influence the Bible’s formation.

The collection includes one of the largest repositories of cuneiform tablets. The clay tablets, named for the wedge-shaped script in which they were written, are important tools for translating ancient biblical writings.

The collection also includes a large portion of a Gutenberg Bible, which provoked the 15th century revolution in printing, and a King James Bible, an influential English translation that’s marking its 400th anniversary this year.

Then there’s the so-called Wicked Bible from the 17th century, so named because it accidentally omits the word “not” in the commandment “Thou shall not commit adultery.”

The collection’s gem is the Codex Climaci Rescriptus, one of the world’s earliest surviving Bibles, thought to be from sometime between the 6th and 8th centuries.

Written in Palestinian Aramaic, the language used in Jesus’ home, the collection worked with Britain’s University of Oxford to develop a technology that uncovered the earliest known New Testament, also from between the 6th and 8th centuries, from a layer in codex.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • DC • United States

1. Methusalem

The irreligious man is a mortal being with a rational nature, who of his own free will turns his back on life and thinks of his own maker, the ever-existent, as non-existent.

April 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Ahhhhh.... Quoting from old brainwashing manuals...

April 5, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
  2. FifthApe

Question to the believers.

Why does god hate amputees? He seems to do well with those 'hidden' things but not so well for amputees. 🙂

April 5, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • Who_Dun_It

Well, "God" created prosthetic limbs, didn't 'he'?

April 5, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  3. Ani_Isha

2 Timothy 3:1-5, Revelation 21:4, Matthew 24:14, Psalms 37:11 Read the Bible and then make a comment. God, the creator of the Universe has a plan, is aware of the condition of the earth and of mankind's suffering. Can mankind rule themselves aside from God? Six thousand years of rulership by man has shown the answer to be NO! Search for TRUTH! Put God to the test. If you are searching ask and you will get the TRUTH!!!

April 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • Rex

Every time I have put God to the test he has failed to exist, much less passed any test.
      Your god doesn't exist. All you feel is the echoes of your own emotions bouncing around in your skull.

I GOT the truth! The truth is that your gods do not exist! That is the truth!
      Take your lies and shove them up your ass. I have no love for liars, just like your "god". Beware my wrath for I exist and not your stupid god who couldn't even do anything right or intelligently as described in your books of lies!

April 5, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • airwx

@ Rex...your words explain exactly why I'm NOT an atheist. Your wrath? What a wonderful delusion you live in my friend. When science can answer My questions (oh yeah...including the one question they refuse to investigate), then I will consider changing my beliefs...

April 5, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • FifthApe

airwx

So until science can answer your questions – God Dun It.

Do you realize God Dun It was the answer to lightning and earthquakes at one time. We know better now. We will know more tomorrow.

'God Dun It' will put the US to the back of the bus in science.

April 5, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • airwx

@ Fifth Ape....you are way off base on this one... My question is actually very science based:

What exists outside the 251 Hubble-shere area we believe our universe currently exists within?

Simple question..Do you have the answer?

April 5, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
    • FifthApe

airwx

No. But the argument from ignorance is one of the weakest. God of the gaps. Very weak. 100 years ago the Milky Way was thought to be the extent of the universe. We can see beyond that now.

April 5, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
    • airwx

@ Fifth Ape... Not an arguement from ignorance (Yes I have read the Sceptics Field Guide) but rather a serious question. It is not an arguement of the Gaps, but a reasoned approach to to find truth. My asking if you knew the answer was not rhetorical. I want to know. Isn't that what a thinking person is supposed to do in life?

April 5, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • FifthApe

" I want to know. Isn't that what a thinking person is supposed to do in life?"

Sure, so do I. But the more we discover the more we find we don't know. Nothing wrong with that. And sometimes we have to accept that we might never know. You and I know more about our universe than Newton. Here, Neil says it much better than I ever could (had the privilege of hearing him live once).

When I am on the cosmic frontier, and I touch the laws of physics with my pen, or when I look upon the endless sky from an observatory on a mountaintop, I well up with an admiration for its splendor. But I do so knowing and accepting that if I propose a God beyond that horizon, one who graces our valley of collective ignorance, the day will come when our sphere of knowledge will have grown so large that I will have no need of that hypothesis.
      –Neil Degrassi

April 5, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
    • airwx

@ Fifth Ape... interesting quote. I too seek the answer to what is out there; but am willing to contemplate any eventuality, even that there is something we don't understand either in the spiritual or the temporal beyond that horizon. Peace

April 5, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  4. RGeneration

I leave you with just one verse. I'm not pointing to any specifics. Just read it and think about it if you are serious. Acting funny won't help you in the end. That smile and smirk will vanish if you aren't saved. Please listen up. Christians (me included) have failed mankind, I agree. But Christ hasn't.

Christ said in Luke 21:25 “There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26 People will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27 At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.”

Those who believe are comforted. Those who don't will continue to lie to themselves. Please think. Its easy to equate God to fairies and unicorns and whatever you want just to feel funny and cool. Please, I'm begging those who read this to consider the possibility that God exists and is coming back. He really is.

April 5, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • derp

"Please, I'm begging those who read this to consider the possibility that God exists and is coming back. He really is."

When?

I've got some things I need to take care of.

April 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

RGeneration wrote: "God exists and is coming back. He really is."

Really? Honest and for true?? On what do you base this? Surely not some ancient text that has been cobbled together in order to brainwash the feeble-minded... If you believe that book, perhaps you'd be interested in meeting this fortune teller down the street... I hear that she's been warning of the return of Apotamkin... Lock up your children!!!!!!

April 5, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

Okay....I just did......he's not....I think your dellusional...now you read some science and learn some tested and reasoned logic to run your life by.

April 5, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • RGeneration

You are funny aren't you. God is not mocked because he knows how brave you pretend to be.

2 Peter 3: 3 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” 5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

April 5, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • FifthApe

Wow... you know this *how*? Clear signs of a delusional brain at work. Oh.... Which god did you mean BTW? There have been so many invented, its hard to keep track.

April 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

No Atheist anywhere has proof that God doesn't exist. It can't be done. Let's say for example I wanted to prove that unicorns didn't exist. First I would have to search every nook and cranny in the universe to demonstrate the absence of unicorns. Then a Unicornist would say "well unicorns are invisible". So I refine my search to look for unicorn hoofprints or other signs of their presence. Then the Unicornist says "they leave no physical evidence or detectable manifestations". I would be stumped since the criteria for a unicorns existence is exactly the same as fantasy. But for God as well as unicorns the opposite is also true. You can't prove Gods existence for the very same reasons.

April 5, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

April 5, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

@ PraiseTheLard

"I believe Monsanto has been working on a Unique Corn... So it may exist pretty soon..."

Would that be anything like Ray Comforts God given banana?...lol

April 5, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  5. Matthew

Every knee shall bow, including those supporting unbelieving idiots.

April 5, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Matthew wrote: "Every knee shall bow, including those supporting unbelieving idiots."

Sorry... only those who are bow-legged...

April 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • FifthApe

Bow to Zeus? Oh... right its *your* god, the one *you* picked. Good thing you were not born in Mecca. LOL.

Religion (god) is an accident of birth.

April 5, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  6. TODD S

There is already a "Bible Museum". It is located at the Holy Land Experience, in south Orlando Florida – said to have the most Biblical artifacts outside Israel.

April 5, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

I saw that place in Tom Mahers movie......totally funny!!! thanks for the tip.

April 5, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
    • derp

You should have seen Bill Mahers movie, it was even funnier.

April 5, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

Correction "Bill Mahers" movie....

April 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  7. Christina

Wow... all you disrespectful Christian- haters are blowing my mind right now! Has anyone noticed that the ONLY people on this last page of comments, only had incredibly disrespectful, judgmental, and just mean things to say?? Any you all think that Christians are judmental and intolerant?

Being a Christian isn't easy and I expect to be challenged on it. God calls us to be challenged and uncomfortable at times, but wow... just wow...

Jesus will come back, very soon. There is NO denying it. I hope you all are ready to face Him when you've compared him to Santa and the Easter bunny! Good luck with that!

and @derp, that isn't even cool. Really? You are going to act like Cancer was a mistake God has made? My little cousin died of Leukemia at the age of 8 and all he could do in his dying days is reassure us that Jesus was coming and there was nothing to worry about... I wasn't a Christian then, none of my family was.... but now, I am. Don't you see how God works through tragedy to change people's heart?! This is no mistake in that!!!

AMEN!

April 5, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • derp

"derp, that isn't even cool. Really? You are going to act like Cancer was a mistake God has made? My little cousin died of Leukemia at the age of 8 and all he could do in his dying days is reassure us that Jesus was coming and there was nothing to worry about"

Many years ago my contracted CML. I prayed and prayed that she would survive. The desease has a 90% survival rate among adults. She died. There is a reason I have no faith in your supposed all powerful superguy. If he actually exists, he killed my mother. Fu ck you!!! You self righteous Pri c k!!!!!

April 5, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

I think the reason why some of us have such a hard time with Christians comes from two main reasons. 1. Self righteous Chrisitans out preaching without knowing any facts from history save the biblical version. 2. Living in America as a non-Xtian is more difficult. I am a pagan, I don't want my kid influenced by christianity until he is older yet, it is freakin everwhere, on our coins, in the pledge of allegence, everyone curses and speaks of god and heaven every single day even if they don't believe they say it. I want my kids to grow up with out all that garbage so they can learn on there own using reason and real information instead of hyperbol and fightening stories of hell and the devil to whip him in to shape.....Try it just once pretend you don't believe in the Christian faith for one day and see how often it is SHOVED in your face by UNKNOWING UN CAREING CHRISTIANs.

April 5, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
    • RGeneration

He didn't kill your mother. She died. Now if you think she has stopped existing you are wrong. And you can decide for yourself where you are headed once all this ends. And so will all of us. Your outburst will NOT help bring her back. You think you are the only one who's lost someone in this world? You think only unbelievers feel pain? You think life is just about today and tomorrow and a few more years? Now, get real if you liked and start acting like a man. Christ loves you and hopes that you would recognize that instead of blaming Him for all of life's pains.

April 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • airwx

@ derp

Your pain is obvious. Blaming God however is not a substi-tute for grieving. Attacking others for their faith is not going to bring your mother back, and if anything, is going to delay your own healing. I lost my mother to alcohol, drugs and a wife-beating step-father. I understand your pain. Lashing out will solve nothing.

I would ask you to seek counseling for your grief.

April 5, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • Christina

Derp,

I am sorry for your loss... my mom died when I was 12 from a drinking/driving accident. My Uncle who took me to live with him when my dad couldn't raise me anymore... he died too, like 9 months ago.

Point is, tragedy is a fact of life. Without tragedy and hurt, there would be no compassion in the world. Also, I think that God would hope that you to learn and grow from every experience- God or bad- in life... not get online and bullying those who believe what they do.

I'm sorry you are struggling to move on... i hope one day God shows you why that tragedy happened in your life and you can truly let it go and be happy.

Christina

April 5, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
    • derp

"Christ loves you and hopes that you would recognize that instead of blaming Him for all of life's pains."

Hey dumba rse , I don't believe in god or jesus, so I can't possibly blame them for anything. Yes my mother is actually dead, so is my father. It was years ago and I am well past grieving. The santimonious self righteous jerk that chastised me about my cancer comment just rubbed me the wrong way. I guess she thought that atheists don't have dead relatives.

You believers completely missed my point.

If god is in charge, which you profess he is, if it is all part of gods plan, which you profess it is, if god is all knowing, which you profess he is, and if god made everything which you profess he did, than god made cancer, and god killed my mother. Period.

Any other conclusion flies so blatanly in the face of logic and reason, that you have to be a delusional fool to not see it.

April 5, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • Christina

You are SO wrong and being complete unfair and judgemental, Derp!!

"It is simple. When things go well you thank god, and blabber that he is awesome and conrols everything. When things go badly you fail to assign an equal level of repsonsibility to your all powerfull superbeing. It is vastly hypocritical."

This is NOT true. I believe that God is all-knowing and powerful, but to think that God killed your mother "just because" or even that me and every other Christian believes that is completely not true! How can you lump all Christians as one? We are all different and have own relationships with God and interpretations of the bible.

And as for the hard times in life... That's when I feel God's presense and strength the most! I just pray for a greater understanding, that's all.

I'm sorry I rubbed you the wrong way, that's not my intention... to act like cancer existence proves that God doesn't exist, c'mon! My intention was to make you see that thru tragedy can come good... you clearly disagree???

April 5, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Believers are quick to credit God for stuff of all sorts. To as.sign real attributes to something as insubstantial as fantasy isn't logical. Real people and circu.mstances behind something beneficial are dismissed and God gets the credit. Swift responce by EMTs and surgeons saved Gabby Giffords life but God is credited. The same God that allowed 6 to die including a 9yr old girl. 31 Chilean miners are saved by the hard work of many and God gets the credit. The same God that allowed them to be trapped in the first place.

April 5, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@AtheistSteve: Yes, unfortunately I've had to witness this first hand. My sister is an evangelical. One day, her car breaks down on the highway with the kids inside. Her response was (I'm paraphrasing), "Praise Jesus that the car was still under warranty and we broke down just as we were approaching an exit and there was a service station at the end of the ramp!'

I personally thought it would've been nice if he had prevented the car from breaking down at all.

April 6, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • derp

A house burns down and four children die. One gets out alive. It's a miracle from god!!!

I bet the four dead ones would disagree, except they can't disagree, because god killed them.

April 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • William Demuth

So many Christians, so few lions

April 22, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
  8. biblecat

heathen are no different from your housepets ,bible is the best training manual for them, take it very slow.

April 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • derp

Do you poop in a litterbox?

April 5, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

Meeeeeeeooooooooow! Oh I just s*&t on your prayer matt! LOL

April 5, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  9. Some Physics

This exhibit could be either enlightening or worthless depending on who it is designed for. If it shows how the bible has changed and altered over the centuries, it could be interesting. If it shows how awesome Jesus is, and how much money this Steve Green guy has, then it is less helpful.

April 5, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • airwx

I agree that it could be interesting. Yes, the Bible has changed. Personally, I would like to get my hands on at least photos of the docu-ments so I could spend time comparing them to other versions. I would also like to get my hands on the rest of the Dea-d Sea scrolls for the same purpose. If you could do the same, would you?

April 5, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
    • Bh

Airwx,

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate your tone as opposed to the normal tone most people have in these conversations. However, I have to disagree with your comment that the ‘Bible has changed,’ and would be very interested in knowing how the bible has changed in your opinion. What specific examples do you have that the Bible has changed?

Did you know that the Dead Sea Scrolls, when compared with the Masoretic Text show no change at all? In fact, the DSS actually demonstrate a clear line of preservation of Scripture and not a clear line of demarcation and change. You can take your NASB or ESV and compare the contents with the Codex Sinaiticus (a complete copy of the New Testament in Greek) from about 350AD and the only ‘changes’ you will see will be in the variants. This idea that the Bible has changed over thousands of years just isn’t true and that can be demonstrated rather easily.

Regardless, I do appreciate your comment and welcome you into further discussion via cnncommentator at Hotmail dot com.

Thanks!

April 6, 2011 at 8:41 am |
  10. Helen

"Yep, mention Bible or Christianity and all the Sodomite-loving, beer-guzzling, adultery-ridden, highway to hell idiots try to show how funny they are – or aren't. Wonder how funny it will be when fiery flames scorches their a-s."

Agreed. I don't think there will be too many wise cracks then.

April 5, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • derp

The really funny thing will be when people who think they have the answers find out that they have been misled by satan. It is not just the nonbelievers who will burn, it is those who believe in false religions. There are over 500 religions world wide. Are you sure yours is the right one? I bet satan has convinced some people who follow the wrong one that they are following the right one. One day you might be VERY surprised.

See ya down there!

April 5, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Yeah like that"s gonna happen...lol ...not. The only hell that exists is dealing with the numb brains who believe in that bunk.

April 5, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

AtheistSteve wrote: "The only hell that exists is dealing with the numb brains who believe in that bunk."

Unfortunately, they have wormed their way into every facet of life, and it's difficult to avoid them...

In DOG we trust...

April 5, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • FifthApe

Helen

Hell is a myth. Just like heaven. Just like *your* version of god.

April 5, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • jimtanker

I respect the Sodomites a lot more than I do Lot any day. The Sodomites were just doing what they do. Lot, on the other hand, wnated to offer his virgln daughters up to an unruly mob to be r@ped and beaten. Then in the next scene we see him getting drunk and r@ping his daughters himself. What a rightous guy that Lot was.

April 6, 2011 at 6:49 am |
    • Lycidas

@jimtanker-That's because you are a barbarian. At least in Lot's day you would have been. You see, in that culture (as with many current arab cultures) being a guest in one's home was the highest of honors. Lot would have given the unrully mob anything to protect the guests of his home. What he did made perfect sense to the culture of that day, but plz judge others by what you consider right and wrong.

April 6, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Lycidas

@FifthApe- If what you say is true, plz tell us who started this "myth" and plz tell us the scientific evidence you have to prove you are correct.

April 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Lycidas

@AtheistSteve- You'll fogive us if putting up with closed minded ppl like you isn't a hellish experience for others. Not hell proper, maybe one of the outer rings.

April 6, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Know What

@Lycidas

" plz tell us who started this "myth"..."

What difference does it make?

Who started the Leprechaun myth... name and hut number, please!?

April 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Lycidas

@Know What- It makes a difference if one claims facts where they have none. There are those on here that call faith in God a myth. But if that is true then they are claiming someone made it up. I just want them to prove their view with evidence just as they do with those of faith.

Otherwise, they are believing in a myth...the myth that God is a myth 😉

April 6, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  11. HenryO

Didn't take long for the hell bound to make wise cracks. Record time.

April 5, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

Do you have another 1st class ticket to hell....I want an up grade from coach okay?

April 5, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • derp

I'll settle for exit row window.

April 5, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  12. Caral From SoCal

Whatever you think of Christianity, the collection of so many ancient texts is a wonderful opportunity to peer into cultures of the past...and find clues to our own culture. The Bible has influenced so much of literature and art – to be ignorant of it is to relegate yourself to missing so many of the allusions through Shakespeare and many other great writers. I hope the exhibit comes to SoCal sometime soon...I definitely will want to take it in.

April 5, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • derp

Very true Caral. I am atheist, and have big fun needling the religious. But a few years ago I saw the Book of Kells at Trinity College in Dublin. It was a remarkable work of art. Absolutely stunning. Well worth the effort to see it if you are ever in Ireland.

It did not make me believe in god, but I appreciated the art.

April 5, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  13. Big~Smelly~Tuna

The fact that the Vatican has an embassy in Washington should make the United States holdings of the catholic church taxable.

April 5, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • jg

you don't know how close to reality that is. along with all the others also. they could use the money and they will take it. soon!!!!!

April 5, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • HeavenSent

BST, you, as with so many non-believers are angry at other people. They have little to do with Jesus' truth if they don't abide in Him.

Amen.

April 5, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

Tax all churches......I say. But the Catholic Church does have a unique standing with the U.S. it has its only City state and its own security and its own government....so essentially it is a sovergn nation.

April 5, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  14. derp

God: "I am really bored today. Maybe I'll invent something. Hmmmmm, what should I call it. I know, I'll call it cancer. Wow, I really screwed that one up."

April 5, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Cancer is dormant in everyone's lower spine. Stress is a big instigator to bring it in full swing, as is coming into contact with pollutants. Now, think about all the stress you deal with daily and haven't a clue that it's stress any longer because you've just incorporated into just an average daily situation. Same thing with sin. No one today really comprehends what is a sin and what isn't anymore because it's all been incorporated into everyday society "cough" norms.

Amen.

April 5, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • ArtherGn

April 5, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

Last time I read the Bible God created all of heaven and earth and when the devil placed the apple in the tree and becond Eve to try a bite at Gods displeasure. God still knew she was going to do it, God still knew man would bring this on himself because while Knowing all and having a master plan for the universe God can see all and hear all and in that he undoubtedly could see that Adam and Eve were destined to go against his wishes in the garden and so God IS COMPLICENT with All of MANS SINS because GOD KNEW IN ADVANCE EVERYTHING.....Right?

April 5, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • derp

"Cancer is dormant in everyone's lower spine."

Wow, missed biology class huh. I am anxiously awaiting the scientific explantion of how millions of structurally different cells in the body are stored in the lower spine while they wait to mutate into cancer cells.

I hope this is the fake HeavenSent, because if you actually believe that nonsense, you are beyond help.

April 5, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • derp

"If you think God created cancer, you REALLY should try reading the Bible. You sound like a fool."

Ok genius, who created cancer?

I thought god created everything. Is it only the cool stuff?

April 5, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Derp, no this is the fake one. I am not that stupid.
      Amen.

April 5, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
    • Bh

@ derp

While I can certainly appreciate your comment and the intent behind, it smacks of Biblical illiteracy. While Christians certainly argue that God created the heavens and the earth, they certainly do not believe that he created the abuses of that which he has put on earth. In order to answer your question 'who created cancer?' we would first have to have an understanding of Biblical theology. So your question, "who created cancer" is answered by understanding the concept of original sin. I doubt you are interested, but you are more than welcome to email me at cnncommentator at hotmail com for further discussion.

April 6, 2011 at 8:31 am |
    • SeanNJ

@Bh: We all know the "original sin" schtick. None of us buys it. Mostly because...it's an idiotic belief. I doubt you can explain it in such a way that would make it sound any better.

April 6, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • derp

"So your question, "who created cancer" is answered by understanding the concept of original sin"

So cancer is a sin?

"I doubt you are interested"

You are finally right about soomething.

April 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@BH
      Original sin, huh?
      So cancer is woman's fault!
      "Sin began with a woman and thanks to her we all must die"
      Ecclesiasticus, 25:19

April 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  15. derp

Dude, stop bogarting that doobie.

Duderonomy 3:54

April 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  16. Korean Ho

Who is dumb enough? Religulous ppls! They worship their Bibbles! Burn them all!

April 5, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  17. Christina

Hey... Where did all the previous comments go??? I was reading those!

April 5, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  18. God

Make sure Jesus doesn't sue you for copyright violations

April 5, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

Could Jesus write? If so why didn't he ever transcribe anything in to the new testament?

April 5, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • DeAguaDulce

SurelyUJest,

We know he could read, since he did so in the synagogue (Luke 4:16). Likely who could write as well. The two typically go hand-in-hand.

April 5, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

Wow he could read and write YET no words from his own hand exists....only those of people that were born after he died......seems fishy to me.

April 5, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Leezah

He could write it all over the sky and still you wouldn't believe.

April 6, 2011 at 8:29 am |
    • SeanNJ

@Leezah: Theists desperately want that statement to be true: "Even if there were proof you wouldn't believe it." It's as if it excuses you from ever having to make an attempt beyond the feeble examples of "evidence" that have been provided to date.

The problem is you have no proof. Never had it, and in all likelihood, never will. However, if you want to know what would const.i.tute "proof" for me (and probably a fair number of others), the simple recreation of a couple biblical miracles would suffice: part the Red Sea (at the deep end) or bring a certifiably three-day-dead guy back to life. I call these "simple" because, by your accounts, it's already been done once.

April 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • Magic

Leezah,

"God", if he is all-knowing, as is claimed, knows *precisely* what it would take to convince each and every one of us. If it is all-loving, as is also claimed, it would do so abundantly. It does not do it.

April 6, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  19. FifthApe

“We believe it is the most incredible book that’s ever been written,” he says.

Like Exodus 21 or Numbers 31. Most evil book in all of fiction is the bible.

April 5, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Fifth Ape, you picked the entire text to hate in both frames of reference. Therefore, how do you expect us to answer.

As for the Midianites, they intermarried with the Ishmaelites and roamed the northern part of the Arabian Desert. They were generally known as Arabs.

Amen.

April 5, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • FifthApe

You are right. I could have picked more. How about when a woman has to marry her rapist. Yup, the bible is one nasty work.

April 5, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • Lycidas

Plz tell us Ape...what are the top twn most evil books? Obviously if you have the gall to call the Bible the most evil...you must know the other nine as well.

April 6, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  20. Not All Docs Play Golf

“We believe it is the most incredible book that’s ever been written,” he says.

Well, I'd have to agree. It's not credible.

April 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

The Bible has it's place in history and if presented in context as a book that affected sociology, history and western expansion it needs to be presented in all it's many forms and also along side of other books written nearly simultaneoulsy or prior to the Bible sharing some of the roots of the Babalonyian text and Aramaic as well as books and teachings of influence during those times. If presented that way I am totally behind it, unfortunately these guys will no doubt hold it up as the ONLY source of divine inspiration and divine direction for mankind and that will strip away all that is good that we get from the Bible.

April 5, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
    • jimtanker

@SurelyUjest

I just checked a bible and it didn’t say "Made by god" on the inside cover. It is not divinely inspired. It was written by man to control man. Nothing more.

April 6, 2011 at 6:20 am |