home
RSS
April 13th, 2011

Tale of sportscaster facing death provokes spiritual outpouring

Editor's note: Watch Dr. Sanjay Gupta's special report, "Nick Charles: No Regrets, Lessons from the Fight," on May 22 at 8 p.m. ET on CNN.

By Wayne Drash, CNN

(CNN) - Nick Charles’ battle with terminal bladder cancer - and the way his faith is shaping his final days with his family - struck a deep spiritual chord with many of our readers.

Megapastor Joel Osteen, an avid sports fan who had grown up watching the longtime sportscaster, was among those who reached out to Charles after reading about him on CNN.com.

"He had to call me and inspire me to fight this," said Charles, who was CNN’s first sports anchor.

Charles said he watches Osteen "all the time." When Charles underwent chemotherapy at a Texas hospital, his wife, Cory, attended Osteen's church in Houston.

Charles said he was humbled to hear from one of the nation's top preachers. While on the phone, Osteen prayed for Charles’ family, especially his 5-year-old daughter, Giovanna.

"God is going to take care of you and your family," Osteen told Charles.

Charles said, "The thrust [of his message] is God has a plan for me. I'm not ready to go yet."

Sister Benita Coffey taught Charles in 6th grade in Chicago. She'd lost touch with him over the years, but when she read the story she immediately felt the urge to tell the now-grown boy how much she loved him.

"I always saw something good in him," said Coffee, one of many people who’ve called or emailed Charles. "I wanted him to know he has become a man of such integrity and personal strength."

Ravi Zacharias, an evangelical minister and best-selling author who wrote "Can Man Live Without God," said Charles' story touched so many people because he exemplifies "the convergence of faith, family and finitude."

"All three have come together," Zacharias told CNN by phone from Singapore. "His surrender to an ultimate purpose of God has made him handle this journey. I'm sure he's had some dark nights of his soul when he's all alone. It's impossible not to have them.”

Zacharias has known Charles and his wife for the past two decades and officiated their wedding in 1997. “What I've seen in Nick Charles," he said, "is the miracle of a transformed life.

"What people will take away from Nick is not just a lifestyle, but a death-style - that you have to face death. The dark night and the dark valley he's walked through, he's walked through with courage and with fortitude."

Opinion: End-of-life planning eases suffering

In comments posted on the article, one reader simply wrote, "This is a life-changing story."

Another person wrote Charles directly: "My goodness what an inspiration you are, not only to the people who know you, but to those you've never met who, through you, can learn and truly understand the meaning of life and living it to the fullest."

In the Philippines, a group of children who have been helped by a charity Charles supports drew pictures and penned notes to him.

Society is uncomfortable with talking about death, Zacharias said, because we like to "always think our comforts will remain." When somebody speaks so openly about the dying process, it helps strip away our fears.

And that's what resonated. "Nick has gotten along with people of different world views, of different callings, of different professions," Zacharias said. "I think he's a reminder to all of us to do whatever you do well.

"That there are people of so many different beliefs, all of whom admire and respect Nick, shows that to the end he knows how to hold his convictions, with dignity and respect for those of other views. The world would be a better place if we followed his example."

Many readers said they cried when they read his story and struggle. Many offered prayers: "Praying for a miracle for him and all those suffering with cancer."

Zacharias, who is traveling in Asia, spoke by phone with Charles on Monday. "Nick, I have watched you over the last 15 years now and seen your love for God and what God has prepared for you," Zacharias told him.

The evangelist quoted 1 Corinthians 2:9. "Eye has not seen; ear has not heard; neither has entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for them that love him."

Zacharias told Charles that God has a plan "even though what he's taking you through now is so painful and unbearable."

"I can't tell you what that means to me," Charles said through tears.

Charles said the responses have "morphed into something amazing for me."

"I've never had more feedback on anything in my life."

In last week's article, Charles said Jesus once sat with him on his bed and helped him through the night. "It wasn't a dream," he says. "I wasn't hallucinating."

Charles says he grew up Catholic but "fell away" from the church for most of his life. He returned to Christianity in 1992. He was sitting in the balcony of a church in downtown Atlanta when he saw a homeless man in a ragged blue jean jacket approach the altar at the end of the service.

"This guy needed help, and spiritually I did too," he said. "It just really hit me. I said I've really got to dig into this more and see why it applies to my life and try to build on it from here.

"That day turned me around."

To atheists and agnostics, Charles said, "If I'm wrong, I have lived a better life since 1992."

He said cancer will ultimately take his life, "barring a miracle from the Lord, which I'm still holding out for."

Yet his faith has taught him "there's nothing to fear. Eternity is what we're talking about."

"Faith is fastening on to what is unseen."

He then quoted from 2 Corinthians 4:16. "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."

If you're inspired by his story, Nick Charles and his family would be honored if you made a donation to help stop child trafficking and abuse, increase access to education and allow children to embrace life. Working with the humanitarian organization World Vision and the TEACH NOW: Preventing Child Labor in the Philippines project, the family welcomes support here: worldvision.org/embracelife.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Christianity • Death • Prayer • Sports

1. Loriel

All of you sound ignorant. Why do these nasty comments need to be made about a dying man? I cannot believe the lack of humanity and bs I am reading. If he feels Jesus sat on his bed and spoke to him then that is his reality. Who are you to say otherwise? Why do you care? Why do you feel the need to try and destroy this for him? All of you that are so certain there is no God; has it ever occurred to you that you just may be wrong? We know absolutely nothing about the universe. What we know is so small it is laughable. You may just get a very big surprise one day. I dare you to face death and not find faith. Maybe you won't but do not be sure until you are in that position yourselves. Honestly; what a bunch of jerks. I feel more sorry for you than for him. And to the guy who made the "charmed life" expression; double jerk to you.

April 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Artist

oops my comment is above yours hit wrong one

April 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Loriel, read Jude 4 again to get your answer to why these fools are fools.

Amen.

April 14, 2011 at 5:03 am |
  2. TheTruth72

Osteen likes to preach the prosperity gospel. That God only wants to bless us and that we should never go through suffering. But sometimes it's the suffering that people need to go through to have their faith testing. In the end, the glory goes to God and a testimony is made for His sake.

April 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Artist

"If he feels Jesus sat on his bed and spoke to him then that is his reality. Who are you to say otherwise?" But yet we lock people up who say they spoke toor saw an invisible person. Interesting isnt it. You are correct it is a big Universe and we know very little. All we have is what man has recorded or written. I have not faith in man or what a few men decided centuries ago as a word of a god. There might have been a creator or creators of man...but it seems they left the building long ago. Mythical powers etc seem to come from the imagination of man.

April 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

That statement is worthy of your handle.. THE TRUTH!

April 13, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • HeavenSent

1 Corinthians 1:14-21

Amen.

April 14, 2011 at 5:00 am |
  3. Jesus

all bow to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Believe in him and you will enter paradise.

April 13, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Larry1

You are such a simpleton.

April 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • HeavenSent

You're slipping J. You posted your spaghetti monster babble under several different handles.Spaghetti Monster.

John 5:37-39

Amen.

April 14, 2011 at 4:57 am |
  4. Gman

I would ask that if you are still a bit open minded and not a devout God hater that you simply explore the evidence. This means that you personally read the extra biblical sources and understand the authenticity and early dating of most of the books that comprise the new testament. Lee Strobel has some excellent books on this that quote hundreds of verifiable sources. Do not simply parrot what Bill Mauer states about religion – I can think of no greater questions that you personally need to have an understanding of than "Is there a God? – if so – is God personal?"

April 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Gman

I have read one book by Lee Strobel. I thought it was extremely one sided.

You should read books by Dawkins, Hitchens, and Mills.

There is no evidence for there being a god. If you have evidence, please present it.

Cheers!

April 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Luke 21:7-12

Amen.

April 14, 2011 at 4:13 am |
  5. jennifer

God loves them too draeggo, and even if you, me, nick, the entire God loving community of all faiths didnt exist, the Good news is he would still send his son for Mr Spockk..
    God loves you Spockky

April 13, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  6. draeggo

April 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Artist

draeggo, please define "god haters". Are these people you view this way or people who are actually saying I believe there is a god and I hate him.

April 13, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • David Johnson

@draeggo

You said: "I'm curious if all the God haters here prosper from their hate? Does it make them feel good? Superior? Or does it just point out to other readers what they really are?"

You are sort of right, in my case. When I point out how silly believer's claims of a god are, I am doing it for people reading the blog, who haven't yet drank the Kool Aid.

I want them to realize that all the believer's talk, is just wishful thinking and delusion.

Cheers!

April 13, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I've read Jude 4 regarding you non-believers.

Amen.

April 14, 2011 at 5:08 am |
  7. jennifer

ps regarding the man who said something so mean spirited about how people see things in their beds..perhaps its the time when folks are also most calm, and not running around w/ other people. looks like mr charles is dealing with a lot-why do you attack his faith if that is what is sustaining him. what sustains you? i hope something more then posting meanspirited things on the internet.

April 13, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Peter and Patricia Pans comes to my mind.

Amen.

April 14, 2011 at 5:10 am |
  8. jennifer

what a wonderful story. if God has to use someone who has achieved a lot in life to reach some people then so be-it..i feel very sorry for the cynics here b/c their comments speak from hearts that sound bitter about their own lives. whatever their beliefs, they have no Love in their voices...

April 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  9. DeRon

My thoughts and prayers go out to Nich Charles and his family. I grew up watching Nick when he was in Baltimore and then in Atlanta. Loved his reporting. Glad to see that he has given his life to Christ. To all those who think that Jesus is a myth or just don't believe. Just know this....One is that I pray for your souls. And second, that you too have the chance to give your life over to the CREATOR of ALL LIFE before its too late. Know that He (Jesus) is coming back some day. You don't want to miss that RAPTURE!!! BECAUSE what is in store for those who deny HIM is more than ANYONE could EVER FATHOM. Be Blessed and Don't wait too long. No man knows the day or hour of HIS return. PEACH BE UNTO YOU ALL.

April 13, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • David Johnson

@DeRon

You said, "you too have the chance to give your life over to the CREATOR of ALL LIFE before its too late. Know that He (Jesus) is coming back some day. You don't want to miss that RAPTURE!!! BECAUSE what is in store for those who deny HIM is more than ANYONE could EVER FATHOM. Be Blessed and Don't wait too long. No man knows the day or hour of HIS return. PEACH BE UNTO YOU ALL."

Do you have any proof that god is the creator of all life?

There are a lot of gods to choose from. How do you know yours is the correct one?

Jesus predicted He would be back in the 1st Century:

Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.” – Matthew 24:34

Every generation has believed Jesus was going to come back in their lifetime. They saw the signs, did the math or had a revelation. Jesus is not coming back. He has been dead for 2000+ years, if He ever existed.

When you talk about what horrible things an all loving god, will do to nonbelievers, doesn't it bother you?

How could an all good, all just god, create a place to burn humans for all eternity?

Human lifetimes are finite. Being finite, only a finite number of sins is possible. How is it just to punish humans for these sins, forever?

Curious in Arizona

April 13, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • RMdallas

David – if you really want answers to those questions they are available and I will be happy to dialogue with you. If you simply want to rant against the belief of others feel free to continue. I've held similiar opinions to what you have shared on this thread, I have railed agianst the "simpleton" Christians and have used many of the same statements you have. Eventually I began looking at the information on both sides and started to see things differently.

I welcome the chance to have a dialogue with if you are genuine in your curiosity.

April 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  10. The Real Tom Paine

Does Joel Osteen want his money or something? I'm sorry, you took a great story about a man leaving a legacy and ruined it by injecting information about an ambulance-chasing pastor contacting him. I hope he completes making the videos for his daughter: that would be a more fitting followup.

April 13, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
  11. Lila

I feel bad about what he is going through, that's it, he does not inspire me at all. Last week the moderators were deleting any comments that questioned his advice. His life is like an obese person telling me how to stay in shape. It's amazing how people will parrot only positive things in a controlled situation like that.

April 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
  12. gman21

April 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • David Johnson

@gman21

You said: "The comments like Jesus has no time for someone is out of ignorance of God. The God is a merciful God. He has time for EVERY ONE of us. Nothing happens without his knowledge. God wants and wishes the best for each and every one of us."

The Christian god is said to be: All knowing; All good; and All powerful.

Hmm... So, if nothing happens without god's knowledge, He must know when a child is attacked by a monster? Yes?

If god is all powerful and all knowing, He doesn't "wish" for anything.

If god wants the best for each and every one of us, then why does god allow the child to be tortured and killed by a monster?

Curious in Arizona

April 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  13. chris

Praise report: I just want to say that the original article that was posted opened up a ministry opportunity, and I'm currently emailing a guy in Sri Lanka about Jesus who was moved to question his buddhist beliefs because of reading the christian comments on the original article. He asked me to email him.
    God can really use these message boards.

April 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

Excellent Chris! Be blessed!

April 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • chris

God is moving, we just have to be available 🙂

April 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

Amen Brother!

April 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Todd (another one)

Chriss, my bowels move. God either is or isn't. What's your point?

April 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

@Todd (another one)
      Criss, my bowels move. God either is or isn't. What's your point?
      -------
      Just the way God created you bowels to move! And to think you claim to have no proof! Silly you!

April 13, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Jezmundberzerker

God is Buddhist.

April 13, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Ben

I was driving home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield, listening to gospel music on the radio station, and the preacher said, "You know you always have the Lord by your side." Well, I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
      twenty red lights in his honor. Thank you Jesus. Thank you Lord

Well the preacher kept right on saying that all I had to do was send ten dollars to the Church of the Sacred Bleeding Heart of Jesus, located somewhere in Los Angeles, California, and next week they'd say my prayer on the radio and all my dreams would come true. So I did. The next week, I got my prayer read on the radio.

Thank you Jesus. Thank you Lord

April 13, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  14. Sheryl

I was very touched by your story and have prayed for you and your family everyday. You have inspired me so much. Keep on holding on. You mentioned that you want to live through one more Easter. I strongly believe that you will live through many more Easters with your family. I don't think God is quite ready for you yet. Be strong. I believe in miracles, do you?

April 13, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  15. CatholicMom

Nick Charles,

Thank you for your story.

When I was sick and near death 3 years ago I happen to hear on EWTN ‘The Chaplet of Divine Mercy in Song’ live from the National Shrine of the Divine Mercy…I was overwhelmed by the words put to music that I sent for the CD from EWTN. I had the most profound sense of peace from then on with my unknown illness. [red rash over most of my body and severe leg pain that only morphine could ease..all skin fell off..hair fell out, and all that comes with it…] Mayo could not name the disease.

Anyway, since then I have a totally different view of suffering. My legs are the only thing that has not healed from pain but I am able to walk but my legs are gradually getting worse. What keeps me positive is the thought of the good that Jesus did with His suffering for the world. Knowing we can join our pain and sufferings with His on the Cross gives purpose to my suffering. I think of all the ills of the world…hatred…lack of neighborly love…the turning from God and seeking our source of healing and power from self…and so on…and then offer my sufferings up to Jesus so that He can take it and turn it into good as only He can do.

I hope that you can find some spiritual music to lift you up in your darkest moments..may God bless you with the Peace that only He can give.

April 13, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • Peace2All

@CatholicMom

Hi -CMom !

While over the last year of many a postings, we may not have always agreed on philosophy, but it's always been nice to have civil discussions with you.

And... didn't know about your disease...?

I do hope that whatever it is... you continue to live a life of peace and love with minimal suffering.

Respectfully,

Peace...

April 13, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Hi, Peace2All!

Glad to see you on here once in awhile anyway! I don’t care for the format on these blogs when they get real long, making it hard to follow-up… Just know that when I am searching for names I know…I always stop on yours!

Yes, my life is filled with peace, love, and joy. [May yours be, too!] I stopped working in pottery after my illness as the passion for it was not there any longer! Now my life has multiple passions! Baking bread, listening to the robins and now the frogs sing, more volunteering, and for artistic purposes…a return to quilt making that I started many years ago when pottery pushed it totally out of the picture…along with most everything else!

Now I have time for the little things…an extra cup of coffee with my husband, taking care of grandkids once in awhile, and talking to you on these blogs!

April 13, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
  16. Lina

I must say that the article from last week was both encouraging and sad for me to read. My father is battling through cancer as well right now and reading it made me think so much of him it was tough to get through the whole thing. But inspiring at the same time-I hope my dad has as much strength and courage to fight as Mr. Charles did.

April 13, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
  17. Todd

Believing in Jesus is as rational as believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy. Get your heads out of your butts and do some rational thinking ....

April 13, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • moeeeeeee

todd, your excatly righht,. theres not prooof that "gods" even real.

April 13, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • chris

You'll never find evidence if you don't seek Him.

April 13, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • RGerstein

May God bless youe lost soul.

April 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Todd (another one)

Chris: Ok. Hey God, got any eyewitnesses to your miracles? How about throwing a little magic at us to show you exist, or at least to prove the chirst eaters right?

For the record, I think something beyond does exist. I just have no faith in most religions

April 13, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Todd (another one)

Todd, but, Santa Claus is real! I have one of his reindeer stuffed and mounted in my den.

April 13, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • David Johnson

@chris

You said, "You'll never find evidence if you don't seek Him."

Umm... Obviously, you sought Him and apparently found Him.

So, please share the evidence that you found, other than personal revelation.

Waiting Expectantly!

April 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • chris

....that's not exactly seeking Him.

James 4:8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.

James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble

April 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • chris

Well, personal revelation is all I've got since a relationship with Jesus is exactly that, personal.
      He changed my heart from a self seeking, po-rn-ography addicted, alcoholic, back-biting, evolutionist to a faithful follower of Christ just 2 years ago.

His word and the prophecy fulfilled (reformation of Isreal) plus the way He's brought people and situations in my life are evidence enough for me. I believe in Jesus, I know the life I lived, and it amazes me how the only one who could change my heart was the One I was avoiding all my life. It's caused me to want to draw near to Him.. God exists whether I think he does or not. He wants us to join Him in fellowship... He meets us where we're at and draws us near to Him.. No we don't see apparitions or hear physical voices, but you become more fine tuned to Gods voice the more you're in His word and the more time you spend in prayer seeking Him. The way that I've noticed Gods voice when I feel that I do hear His voice...and the only way I can describe it...is that I get thought that rings more pure than any other thought...That's the only way I can describe it....It's like a thought that rings like a silver bell. Like all the muck and confusion that surrounds other thoughts just kind of passes away for a moment.
      So if you think any one of us is going to have definitive proof that there is a physical God, we won't. We have the scriptures and personal revelation. But study the scriptures, study the history, and you can decide for yourself whether or not you want to come alongside Jesus and His way.
      I don't feel that I"m responsible to prove that there is a God or prove anything really. I can voice what Jesus has done in my life, and it's up to you and God what the results of my testimony will be. I was a wreck before I met Jesus, I'm still a wreck but Jesus is helping me pick up the pieces.

April 13, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  18. John Richardson

So, if he thinks he is one of the few who have an eternity of joy awaiting him after death, why is he hoping for a "miraculous postponement" of his entry into glory?????? I would like to feel sympathy for him, as I remember him from back in the day, but this whole story just illustrates the selfishness and illogic at the base of Christian belief. (And I note that there is no celebrity, however minor, that Joel Osteen won't reach out to in his quest to feed his ego through free publicity.)

April 13, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

He does have a family to include a young daughter whom he would like to see grow up! Is there a problem with that?

April 13, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
    • CatholicMom

John Richardson,
      Though we have the hope of eternal joy in heaven does not mean that we do not have a profound will to live which was instilled in us by God. He bestowed the gift of life to us that we may have a fore taste of His love for us. There are very few people who fall into despair even under the most dire of circu-mstances; those who do fall into dispair wish their gift of life come to an end because they failed to see Love in the folds of their everyday life.

We are to hold on to Faith, Hope, and Charity in this life. We will no longer hold to Faith and Hope once we witness Love Himself, for in our Faith and in our perseverance in Hope, we are hopeful that God will bring us to our eternal joy to know Love fully! For those who have no Faith, have no Hope..feel no love of God in this earthly life…those are the ones who fall into despair.

April 13, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Chris K

From what I read... it seems that he feels that there is still more work for him to do here. The original article and now this one seem to be part of that. In that sense he feels the desire to stick around. And as well it seems he has concerns about how his death will affect his young daughter and wife.

The way he is facing death remarkable and commendable. It can be an inspiration to all because we all share a common fate. We are all facing death, each day, whether we realize it or not. You may disagree with his worldview, but you should at least appreciate a man coming to terms with death.

God or not... death is scary. Being excited about the destination but holding some reservations about the journey should not be a hard concept to understand.

April 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  19. Rajeev

Taste and see that the LORD is good (Psalm 34:8). Nick's life In Christ from 1992 onwards is not a myth. It is as real as the flesh and blood that died for all of us. He lives and loves us and His name is Jesus!

April 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • Jesus
      April 13, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  20. Artist

One person's vision of a god, another person's insanity. I feel sorry for him and had a family member go through the same thing. Some people need myth and superst-ition to get them through. Whatever it takes.... this is truly sad what he is going through.

April 13, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • Steve (the real one)

It is sad what Nick Charles is going through! Just one small problem with your post. Jesus is real! Not a myth nor a superst-tion but the living son of God, Lord and Savior.

April 13, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • mightyfudge

I'm pretty sure Jesus has more important things to do than comforting a dying sportscaster who lived a charmed life.

April 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • Todd

Steve, I feel sorry for you.

April 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

@mightyfudge
      -----
      Wrongo! That is why Jesus came and died. Nick Charles is His child! Jesus came to bring comfort, hope, and eternal life!

@Todd
      Steve, I feel sorry for you. Gullible and misguided
      ----
      No need to feel sorry for me. I feel sorry for you. You are decieved!

April 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
    • chris

mightyfudge: that assumes that God can't be in all places at all times....which He can. He cares intimately about every detail we go through; He feels what we feel.

April 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • joe

Why does every, "...but it wasn't a dream" story take place lying or sitting in bed.

April 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Steve (the real one)

You said: "Jesus is real! Not a myth nor a superst-tion but the living son of God, Lord and Savior."

Doesn't god strongly desire everyone believe He exists and Jesus is His son?

Nothing was written about Jesus until about 25 years after he died (Paul). Many think Paul, not Jesus, was the "father" of most of the Christianity (Pauline Christianity) practiced today. Paul never, ever met Jesus. All that he writes is hearsay.

The authors of the Gospels, are unknown. There is no evidence that the Apostles, actually wrote them. The first gospel, Mark, was not written until about 65 CE. All the Gospels are written in the 3rd person. Eyewitness accounts are written in the 1st person.

The Gospels were written to "prove" Jesus was the Messiah and Son of God. They strain to show Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament prophesies concerning the Messiah.

The stories in the Gospels, are similar to "gods" that preceded Jesus. Google: Krishna, Mithra, Attis and Horus. You will find similarities that will astound you.

Read some Greek and Roman mythology. Gods having $ex/offspring with humans, was not unique to the Christian god.

Love and Prayers!

April 13, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • chris

David: one of the greatest proofs for me is the fact that those who knew Jesus on earth, and those who preached of the ressurection, suffered and died for their testimony when they could have easily recanted. The Apostals were mostly all beheaded, stoned, beaten, put in prison over their testimony. Early Christians (pre-300AD) gained absolutly nothing from their faith here on earth... Why go through all that pain and suffering if you're making it up? They were heavily heavily persecuted in order to sustain the message of the gospel.. They died and suffered so I could have the gospel in my hands, and I won't take that for granted for a second.

April 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Artist

Steve (the real one)
      Let me clar ify...there might have been a jesus. However his "powers" are myth ical in nature. His story of how he came to be...myth ical in nature and not original I might add. Gods had been bo ink ing humans long before your jesus came (no pun int ented) to be. In fact his mother was not the first "vir gin" to have a child from a god. Real ity is Mary clearly was a wh or e who slept around beh ind her husbands back. The rest follow ing it a cool story to cover her rear. Poor Jesus (if he actua lly exis ted) was fed this line of crap about being a son of a god. He clearly foll owed his delusion up until they nai-led the rusty nails into his body. His foll owers embe llished his story in their del usion to create a new religion. Like we havent seen this before..(i give you Mormons). Jesus was a sad pat het ic del usional man that was a bas-ta-rd son who never knew his real father. The real cul pr it is the wh ore mother Mary that started this all.

April 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Magic

chris,

Historical evidence for eventual fates of most of the apostles is sketchy to none.

Misguided devotion to causes has caused many people to be 'martyred' throughout the centuries... the most recent examples being Jim Jones' followers, David Koresh's followers, Heaven's Gate followers, and a mult.itude of Muslim suicide bombers.

April 13, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Todd (another one)

I'm willing to accept that Jesus existed. All you christianists need to do is prove it. You seem to disregard evidence of evolution despite all existing scientific evidence.

Well, what evidence can you provide a skeptic that Jesus exists? And please don't show me the bible. I can show you a copy of Lord of the Rings, but that doesn't mean hobbits and elves once existed.

April 13, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

David Johnson
      @Steve (the real one)
      Declaring that there is a god and that, that god had a son with a human, who is the redeemer of all mankind, is an extraordinary claim, indeed! If this claim is to be believed, should there not be extraordinary evidence to back up the claim?
      Doesn't god strongly desire everyone believe He exists and Jesus is His son? The birth, death and resurrection of Christ, if true, is the most important event in human history. You would expect an all knowing, all powerful god, would have ensured tons of eyewitness testimony existed to verify this event. Instead, all the evidence points to the entire notion of a god and a virgin and a redeemer as being bogus. The entire New Testament is propaganda for Jesus being the Messiah and the Son of God. There is no mention of Jesus in any secular writing, that is not suspected of being a later insertion or hearsay.
      ------
      Need proof? No problem! I wil quote scripture and yes I know it is "against the rules" just one problem, they are YOIUR rules and not mine!
      from Romans 1:
      20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities–his eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
      21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.
      22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools

1. Creation is Proof yet you still don't believe and attribute that to evolution!
      2. They were plently of eyewitnesses to Jesus, let's start with Mary and Joseph. Not good enough? How about the 12 that lived with Him for 3 years? Not good enough? How about all he ministered to? Not good enough? How about those who saw he on the cross? not good enough? How about those who saw him assend into heaven. According to Jewish law, 2 or three witnesses was required to prove a case! Jesus lived under Jewish law!
      3. Believe or don't believe as you wish! I believe!

April 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

You have every right to believe as you wish! Yet you will KNOW in due time! The question is will it be too late for you?

April 13, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Syriac

WOW David Johnson you are such a big dummy!
      You said: "There is no eyewitness testimony of Jesus. Some question that he ever actually existed."
      You're funny. Stop saying things you just made up. I found MANY MANY of your posts that I EASILY found an answer to. It is sad, isn't it?

April 13, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Steve, remember what you are dealing with and take comfort that Jesus instructed us with Matthew 7:6.

Let the not evolved apes chase their tails they assume feel or blew off in that big bang of theirs.

Amen.