home
RSS
April 13th, 2011

Tale of sportscaster facing death provokes spiritual outpouring

Editor's note: Watch Dr. Sanjay Gupta's special report, "Nick Charles: No Regrets, Lessons from the Fight," on May 22 at 8 p.m. ET on CNN.

By Wayne Drash, CNN

(CNN) - Nick Charles’ battle with terminal bladder cancer - and the way his faith is shaping his final days with his family - struck a deep spiritual chord with many of our readers.

Megapastor Joel Osteen, an avid sports fan who had grown up watching the longtime sportscaster, was among those who reached out to Charles after reading about him on CNN.com.

"He had to call me and inspire me to fight this," said Charles, who was CNN’s first sports anchor.

Charles said he watches Osteen "all the time." When Charles underwent chemotherapy at a Texas hospital, his wife, Cory, attended Osteen's church in Houston.

Charles said he was humbled to hear from one of the nation's top preachers. While on the phone, Osteen prayed for Charles’ family, especially his 5-year-old daughter, Giovanna.

"God is going to take care of you and your family," Osteen told Charles.

Charles said, "The thrust [of his message] is God has a plan for me. I'm not ready to go yet."

Sister Benita Coffey taught Charles in 6th grade in Chicago. She'd lost touch with him over the years, but when she read the story she immediately felt the urge to tell the now-grown boy how much she loved him.

"I always saw something good in him," said Coffee, one of many people who’ve called or emailed Charles. "I wanted him to know he has become a man of such integrity and personal strength."

Ravi Zacharias, an evangelical minister and best-selling author who wrote "Can Man Live Without God," said Charles' story touched so many people because he exemplifies "the convergence of faith, family and finitude."

"All three have come together," Zacharias told CNN by phone from Singapore. "His surrender to an ultimate purpose of God has made him handle this journey. I'm sure he's had some dark nights of his soul when he's all alone. It's impossible not to have them.”

Zacharias has known Charles and his wife for the past two decades and officiated their wedding in 1997. “What I've seen in Nick Charles," he said, "is the miracle of a transformed life.

"What people will take away from Nick is not just a lifestyle, but a death-style - that you have to face death. The dark night and the dark valley he's walked through, he's walked through with courage and with fortitude."

Opinion: End-of-life planning eases suffering

In comments posted on the article, one reader simply wrote, "This is a life-changing story."

Another person wrote Charles directly: "My goodness what an inspiration you are, not only to the people who know you, but to those you've never met who, through you, can learn and truly understand the meaning of life and living it to the fullest."

In the Philippines, a group of children who have been helped by a charity Charles supports drew pictures and penned notes to him.

Society is uncomfortable with talking about death, Zacharias said, because we like to "always think our comforts will remain." When somebody speaks so openly about the dying process, it helps strip away our fears.

And that's what resonated. "Nick has gotten along with people of different world views, of different callings, of different professions," Zacharias said. "I think he's a reminder to all of us to do whatever you do well.

"That there are people of so many different beliefs, all of whom admire and respect Nick, shows that to the end he knows how to hold his convictions, with dignity and respect for those of other views. The world would be a better place if we followed his example."

Many readers said they cried when they read his story and struggle. Many offered prayers: "Praying for a miracle for him and all those suffering with cancer."

Zacharias, who is traveling in Asia, spoke by phone with Charles on Monday. "Nick, I have watched you over the last 15 years now and seen your love for God and what God has prepared for you," Zacharias told him.

The evangelist quoted 1 Corinthians 2:9. "Eye has not seen; ear has not heard; neither has entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for them that love him."

Zacharias told Charles that God has a plan "even though what he's taking you through now is so painful and unbearable."

"I can't tell you what that means to me," Charles said through tears.

Charles said the responses have "morphed into something amazing for me."

"I've never had more feedback on anything in my life."

In last week's article, Charles said Jesus once sat with him on his bed and helped him through the night. "It wasn't a dream," he says. "I wasn't hallucinating."

Charles says he grew up Catholic but "fell away" from the church for most of his life. He returned to Christianity in 1992. He was sitting in the balcony of a church in downtown Atlanta when he saw a homeless man in a ragged blue jean jacket approach the altar at the end of the service.

"This guy needed help, and spiritually I did too," he said. "It just really hit me. I said I've really got to dig into this more and see why it applies to my life and try to build on it from here.

"That day turned me around."

To atheists and agnostics, Charles said, "If I'm wrong, I have lived a better life since 1992."

He said cancer will ultimately take his life, "barring a miracle from the Lord, which I'm still holding out for."

Yet his faith has taught him "there's nothing to fear. Eternity is what we're talking about."

"Faith is fastening on to what is unseen."

He then quoted from 2 Corinthians 4:16. "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."

If you're inspired by his story, Nick Charles and his family would be honored if you made a donation to help stop child trafficking and abuse, increase access to education and allow children to embrace life. Working with the humanitarian organization World Vision and the TEACH NOW: Preventing Child Labor in the Philippines project, the family welcomes support here: worldvision.org/embracelife.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Christianity • Death • Prayer • Sports

1. Christy

David Johnson, you need to do your homework. Many of your statements are not true. There are written accounts of a government leader (a Caesar or Pilate, I forget) describing meeting Jesus. Even Muslims acknowledge that Jesus existed. Old Testament foretells Jesus and the events surrounding His existence on earth, so there was plenty of time for others to use these traits to assimilate his characteristics and pretend to be gods. And I know plenty of people who can tell you how real God is in concrete evidence, especially in physical healings that cannot be explained medically, including people I know personally who have seen actual physical transformations like an undeveloped leg grow to a normal one within minutes, or deaf regaining hearing or blind regaining sight, cancers falling from their body and baby-soft skin in its place. You need to pursue more information on the subject and be open to what you learn in the process. And it is understandable that you are unaware of such evidence. Many people have been transformed by the saving grace God provided through Jesus. The media has squashed it mercilessly in recent decades...no Jesus talk on any TV shows unless you appear to be fanatical, etc. Our country has changed its outlook tremendously since the 1950's. That's why this story is so refreshing...someone telling it like it is. Please take time to continue to explore the truth. You will find it if you look honestly and openly, not stopping short.

April 13, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Artist

Christy, there is a good chance jebus did exist. Was he super-man...um no. Can you believe that some people act-ually think he had myth-ical powers? Jebus was a bas-tar-d son from a mother who slept around behind her husbands back. She fed the father a line of doo doo about god boi nk-ing her. She even got her son to be-lieve this and he became del-us-ional thinking he was a son of a god. He met his per-il and his mother died a who-re.

April 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

@ Artist, I am not sure who schooled you on faith but really dude you need to fire them and get a refund! Not only are you off base, you are not even in the ball park! I am not sure who jebus is but I kno wwho Jesus is! That might be the foundation of your confusion You found jebus when you should have been searching for Jesus!

April 13, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • LoveAllah

Artist,
      You must desist from mockery and embrace Allah or else you will not be saved. Allah is the truth, not God, not Jesus. There is only one Allah.

April 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Artist

Steve (the real one) You found jebus when you should have been searching for Jesus!
      Hmm all these years I thought it was jebus.

April 13, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

Artist
      Hmm all these years I thought it was jebus
      ----
      Glad I could be of service. My wife is also an artist. Primarily water based and pencils. What about you? She gets very relaxed doing it so I know it is a helpful stress reliever!

April 13, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Artist

Steve (the real one)
      -----
      Acrylics and yes it is relaxing. I also enjoy painting live in front of crowds. Uplifter you might say.

April 14, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
  2. Larry

God is showing his true love for this man by giving him terminal cancer, one of the most pleasant experiences a man can have. If there was a god, and he loved this person, he would cure this man, not kill him. As the pain becomes so unbearable that no drug can help it, I'm sure he will thank his imaginary friend in the sky for all of this suffering.

This must fall under the category of god works in mysterious ways.

April 13, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • Sad

If we all thought the way you did, sure, enough said. My mother fought cancer for 7 years, but many blessings came from it. It brought my mother and father back together. It bonded us closer as a family. They introduced a new treatment to her, paving the way for future treatment. She died of a stroke in the end and she died with peace in her heart. Peace was something she didn't have before cancer.

Some of us believe there is a better life than what we live here. I believe my mother is in a much better place then me and you. I believe she's right where God wants her. Far be it from me to question that. Peace.

April 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

@Larry
      God is showing his true love for this man by giving him terminal cancer....If there was a god, and he loved this person.....
      ------–

April 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Suzie

"So a God whom you claim does not exist is the author of sickness and disease? Which is it?"

Spoken like a true Christian! Don't you just love how they are so good a twisting things to benefit their point of view. LOL!

April 13, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

Suzie
      -----–
      It is sad how wrong they are. God does not author disease, if that were true why would Jesus heal? Jesus said He and the father were ONE! That would include being of one purpose an done mind! They have no idea what they are facing without Christ Jesus!

April 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • I_get _it

Steve(the real one)

Larry's statement means, "your alleged God". It's just too much trouble to repeat every time we reference it. I usually put "God" in quotes for that reason.

Surely you can't be that clueless not to see this.

April 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Suzie

So Steve why don't you prove to all of us you are a man of God, go lay your hands on Nick and heal him. Come on now the bible clearly states that Jesus said "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover" –Mark 16:17,18

April 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

Suzie

----------
      1. I really don't have to prove ANYTHING to you! This is not a show!
      2. I know that scripture and for your info, I too struggle with that level of faith or lack of in my life! I never claimed perfection. Yet I m still growing! What you ask is commendable but for the wrong reason! You want a show! Sorry!

April 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

I_get _it

Surely you can't be that clueless not to see this.
      ---------
      I know what you meant just curious! If you feel that strongly that there is no God, stop being lazy at type it out clearly, everytime! Be bold!

April 13, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Suzie

"I know that scripture and for your info, I too struggle with that level of faith or lack of in my life! I never claimed perfection. Yet I m still growing! What you ask is commendable but for the wrong reason! You want a show! Sorry!"

No, I asked because I knew you didn't have faith strong enough the proof is in your ego and constant replies to everyone.

April 13, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

Suzie
      -------
      You had no clue! I have actually prayed for people before some where healed some not! You do realize it is God that heals and sometimes healing does not come! I have no ego as you proclaim! I will continue to respond! What you don't know is God uses us where we are, yet in HIS time he takes us deeper into himself! You wanted me to prove something to you! Was that your primary concern? I am praying for Nick Charles and his family yet I primarily pray that God's will be done! ! God knows where I am in Him, He knows my desire to be better and stronger in my faith!

You do invoke thought though and that is a good thing. When Jesus preached there was demonstration of power, same with Paul and Peter! Sadly not so much today! I believe that will change because many of us hunger for it to happen again. It is not ego! It has every thing to do with wanting what God wants. This journey we call Christianity is a life time process! I know I come up short and God knows that as well, yet I am still used and still loved by Him! !

April 13, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  3. Sad

When CNN first ran this story about Mr. Charles, I thought it was one of the most profound stories I have ever read about. But you had to go and screw it up by rolling out this red carpet to ridicule. I don't know which is worse, CNN for not leaving a good thing alone, or some of the knee-jerk comments I've read in here.

April 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  4. mepr428

All praise be to Allah, the creator of Man and life as we know it. The time is near when Allah will descend upon us and take over his kingdom. We must all be ready and believe in our savior Allah.

April 13, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Artist

And muslims are even more entertaining... like watching a retard waving a gun around while screaming ALLAH lol

April 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • ScottK

Define "near" because people have been saying "God is coming!!" for thousands of years but evey religious fool I know thinks its right around the corner...

April 13, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • Syriac

I hope muslims know that islam is just a religion that comes from judaism...

April 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • chris

aren't you the one who told me that I'm a moron, and that I shouldn't breed?

April 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • AllahTheAllPowerful

Scotk, time as we know it does not exist to Allah, He the creator of all life created time itself, by the same token time is Allah, something so profound that the human mind could not grasp. If you want to reign in Allah's Kingdom you must believe in him, just a small price to pay for all the glory, joy and sanctified virgins.

April 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Artist

Any smart muslim will tell you that if you have a question to go ask a jewish person. They know their religion comes from the jews.

April 13, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • mepr428

Chris,
      I apologize for that, it was a dark time in my life and I've repented. Since then I've found the loving grace of Allah. You must believe in him if you want to be saved.

April 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • chris

k, I'll pass, you know they never specify if those are male or female virgins 😉

April 13, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • mepr428

Once you've entered Allah's Kingdom, gender is non-existent. Remember Allah is everything and everything is Allah. I hope you're someday saved by the grace of Allah, but you must believe in him unconditionally.

April 13, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • chris

so if there is no gender...then why should I care if I get these virgins? What am I going to do with them?

April 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • ScottK

@Allah – "time as we know it does not exist to Allah" So i guess that means he's saving us in his right now, since time doesn't exist for your God, that way he never has to wait.

April 13, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  5. Have Faith

I think that all the non-believers are so adamant in their stance on this blog (and any other religious-subject blog) because they know that they NEED to be right. Why else make 10 entries on one blog? What are you trying to prove to complete strangers who cannot be swayed? Why do you feel it's your duty to "enlighten" us? Do you go on weight-loss blogs and present dieting tips?

April 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Artist

Have Faith, there is no need to be right. Some of us find humor in different ways. Christians can be entertaining like watching crazy people. Like Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys...that is how I see some christians. Nothing personal just it humors me. Example HeavenSednt...complete wackjob but entertaining.

April 13, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Have Faith

April 13, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • Artist

Have Faith Interesting that this is a story about a dying man, and how his faith is keeping him strong...yet you find amusement here.

Actually yes, not in the story rather who post here. I hope this clarifies things for you. Keep posting and I might find humor in you.

April 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Have Faith

Unlike yourself Artist I have things to do. I seriously only have time for 3 posts. No one can tell you what to believe, but I'm sad for you. I believe that God exists. I believe that Jesus exists. If you have found humor in me, then you are easily amused.

May Nick Charles and his family find peace.

April 13, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Artist

Have Faith

-----
      I find small humor in your post. Hey I ama grown man and I believe in the toothfairy. Sounds pretty funny. You know there are people right now with different gods claiming miracles from their god. I am sure ou have had your time and will have a time you claim your own miracle to your god. Good luck with your path fo your choosing. May the best god win.

April 13, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  6. HK Lin

I have been trying to ask very illed cancer patients to try frankincnese oil to improve quality of life and possibly survival. I fully understand that safety and toxicity or potency data have not been obtained in any pre-clinical models; but these data require several years to produce and varify. Cancer patients, especially at terminal stages, do not have any year to wait. Frankincense has been consumed in Arab countries by human and animals regularly; and safety may not be a major issue. We think efficacy is present in a small number of patients abroad, although we do not have statistics. In addition, one has to also realize that frankincnese oil is not created equal. We are optimizing conditions to produce the oil. My passion has been to extend patient survival for several years; so they can spend precious time with their families.

April 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  7. Aretha

This story is so touching. My mom died 6 months after i returned home from University. Two weeks after she found out she had ovaian cancer. I still have not come to grips to the reality that she is gone. I pray that Mr. Charles continue having the faith that he has. i pray for you and your family as well. It's a lot to deal with but god never gives you anything he knows you can't handle. I will never get the change to introduce my husband to my mom, nor will my children experience the love of their granny. after her death i saw no reason to have a child but i know she is in heaven looking down on her Children RIP Mummy, we love you dearly. Mr Charles keep the faith and gid bless!!

April 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  8. mepr428

Believe in Allah and you too will be saved. Paradise, virgins, you name it. Allah is everything and everything is Allah.

April 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  9. Nathan Prophet

I certainly respect what he has to say; however, his story is an application of Pascal's Wager (look it up). It depends on whether you want to find and believe facts (the truth), or believe what is working for you whether true (factual) or not. He obviously believes what is working for him whether true or not. Is it better to be ignorant and happy (and content), or knowledgeable in the actual facts (of religion) and be without hope and contentment, but be realistic, reasonable, and rational. Like "fight or flight," people make their choice (and change it from time to time). I wish him and his family well. He is a courageous and honest person.

April 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

Pascal's wager has NOTHING to do with this. Nick Charles is simply sharing what gives him hope and strenght! In in the process he is inspiring and strenghtening the faith of folks like me, a believer! This is about Nick Charles and HIS faith! Nothing else! In addition, Nick Charles is not the ignorant one!

April 13, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • mepr428

Allah loves you Steve and he will bless you if you stay a believer, paradise, virgins, you name it. It will all be yours if you believe in Allah.

April 13, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

mepr428
      -----
      Thank you but I'll stay with Jesus!

April 13, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • mepr428

Allah is merciful but you must believe in him unconditionally. You must convert before it's too late Steve. Convert and be saved by the grace of Allah.

April 13, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  10. mepr428

Praise be with the Lord. God bless everyone. He is all powerful and merciful.

April 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • Artist

Powerful and merciful? I am waiting for him/her/it to heal amputees. Just give me one miracle of a person growing their arm or leg back. Come on, all powerful god in all these thousands of years...just one case. All we hear about are obscure miracles or situations of perception. Come on..BAM..grow me an arm or leg jebus.

April 13, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  11. jennifer

dear sadlypeterbed,

he answers and hears all prayers...just like a parent who may ignore a few. re child who is murdered, that is tragically sad, and as someone who has seen a friend killed in cold blood, i know that theres a reason behind these tragedies, that we will not learn in our human comprehension.

April 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  12. Capt. Dave

Man CANNOT live by Bread ONLY. BUT by Faith in The WORD. Everything else is Doubt..

April 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  13. Artist

Jennifer, of course. Me and my wife volunteer for many things. *dont tell anybody but we even help christians* Am I this vocal all the time...no. This is a forum, we must be vocal. Do I respect my friends and co-workers who live in their delusion...of course...I keep my opinions to myself unless asked. People have different ways of dealing with life and their fears. Me, I paint.

April 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Larry1

Artist, you seem to be a angry little man. You present youself as a disgusting little troll. Did God not answer a prayer in the manner in which you wanted? Is that driving your anger? Are you an aspiring artist, living on food stamps? Or, are you painting kitschy works for the local hotel and you want to be Rembrandt? Or, do you just get off by attempting to anger the readers? You pitiful attempts at reason are laughable. You are a pseudo-intellectual and a sad, sad man.

April 13, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  14. valentina

jen has good points..from what i see he's not preaching to anyone, just sharing that it's good to have a positive attitude even w/ such challenges in life. what i got from this message is "what am i doing to help make the world a better place" for those in my family, and my children and those around me...even if a short time...all of us can get hit by a bus tomorrow and he'd outlive us all..but at least he's taking time to think about it, even if you disagree...what are u doing to help love and be an inspiration in your own life faulkner..

April 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  15. Steve (the real one)

I loved the team of Nick Charles and Fred Hickman! Too bad CNN decided to dismantle their sports segment!

April 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  16. jennifer

artist, thats ok...im sure u have a wonderful mission in other ways, and love people despite non belief in same religion..thats the beauty of life, whoever or whatever created us, made us different. i just try to see everyones point of view and love them in that. even if i dont agree, i cant be mean about it (thats the sad part about folks who are attacking a man who has such a story, such cancer..yes many millions are suffering but we can all do our part to help those who are in our lives daily) i hope you are all doing that.

April 13, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  17. imagine!

hopefully nick charles will hang around for a while...

April 13, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  18. jennifer

mr faulkner yes lets help them too. do u have a family member w/ cancer, ill pray for you too. and maybe your story will touch others. everyones story cant touch every human being, but if u have one, pls share.

April 13, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • sadlyperturbed

So you believe that the Big Man in the Sky listens to all prayers, and then selectively chooses which to answer? And you believe that this same amazing Man in the Sky chooses to answer a dying man's prayers, yet allows a child to be murdered? You believe that this Man in the Sky would choose to answer YOUR prayers, yet ignore the millions of people who pray daily without an answer? Look into yourself. You are living a delusion.

April 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  19. faulkner

who the feck is he? and there are plenty of people dying of cancer ... his story touches me? not quite ... how about a story on someone dying of cancer who can't afford the astronomical price of health insurance in this country and as a result are just fekkin dying ...

April 13, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Loriel

See my response above.

April 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • adelina

Of course there are people dying of cancer everyday and there is nothing in Nick's story that denies that or elevates himself. He is simply telling about the hope he has, the faith he has in Christ and that no matter how this ends, he is going to be fine. Why do you have to put that down?

April 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • Miranda

Mr. Faulkner, who the "feck" are you?! Nobody has ever heard of you so what right do you have for your message to be shown here? There are lots of people who are poor and dying and have an opinion that should be shown here instead of you. - Good heaven's man, get a grip, have a heart (you do have one don't you), feel some emotion (you do have some don't you) for a man dying & leaving his wife/child behind. It's a story about love and death and losing it all, you cretin. I never heard of Mr. Charles yet I was glad to have read his story. If you can't play nice, go to your room and stay there.

April 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • Larry

Faulkner, You are a fool!

April 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • Nancy

Dear faulkner,
      Jesus loves you very much. He died on the cross to forgive your sins. He rose from the dead and still lives today. He wants to live in you if you will just believe and ask. What greater gift is there than to be forgiven?
      For God so loved the world that He gave his only Son, that whoever believes in Him will NOT perish but have everlasting life.
      John 3:16

April 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  20. jennifer

from what i am reading in his story, was far from a "charmed " life..very poor childhood thru what he achieved (maybe God blessed him b/c he saw his Heart?"
    i hope the cynics open their hearts. i still love them though, and cant criticize their disbelief. look at paul...i just pray for them as we all know Christ is interceding for them now, praying theyll turn to him (maybe why they are so compelled to read the story and they dont even realize??)

April 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Artist

Jennifer, I appreciate the effort however I turned away from what I believe does not exist. To think I almost became a preacher long ago. lol

April 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • Nathan Prophet

Jennifer, I know you are touched by this story, but in my view, you have a lot to learn about God and religion in general. You say "maybe" God did this or that; blessed him or not, etc. That is speculation without any substantiating facts. See "sadlyperturbed"'s response. This response is reasonable and rational, but it does not address the issue. Nick Charles obviously has deep convictions; deep beliefs, and his life is better for that considering his health condiiton. People have been known to recover from cancer or other terminal illnesses through laughter, through natural medicine. Perhaps Nick will be "miraculously" healed of his cancer. Then, of course, he will attribute that miracle to God. If he dies as expected from this disease, then it's not God's fault, "it was just his time to go" or "God was calling him home" or some other saying to absolve God from not healing him. And, "God will take care of his family." Those things make us feel comfortable in the face of death.

April 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • Nathan Prophet

Although I am a rationalist and universalist when it comes to religion, I do believe that intecessory prayer, meditation, even directed thought has power. I believe there are facts supporting this phenomenon. I ask everyone reading this to pray, meditate, or just think about healing Nick Charles. Do this all the time when you have time. It can make a difference and might save his life. I am starting right now.

April 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • ANooYawkuh

So if you look at people who have a certain faith versus people who do not, can you detect a higher or lower death rate from cancer? I suspect not. Stephen Hawking once said that he doesn't believe in a god who "moves blocks of molecules around" and I don't see any data to disprove that.

April 13, 2011 at 3:11 pm |