home
RSS
My Faith: A reluctant churchgoer 'gets the Holy Ghost'
The author (foreground, age 7), his late aunt, Sylvia Blake (left) and other family members outside their Baltimore church.
April 24th, 2011

My Faith: A reluctant churchgoer 'gets the Holy Ghost'

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - I had my first brush with the “Holy Ghost” when I was 9 years old.  I’m still trying to digest what it meant more than 30 years later.

The day began as a typical Sunday. Aunt Sylvia herded me and my brother into her 1972 baby blue Chevy Impala and drove us to church for a service that would often last five hours.

Sunday worship at a black Baptist church wasn’t just long. It was scary. Elderly women who “got the Holy Ghost” during worship would thrash so violently in the pews that their wigs flew off. People shouted, wept and fainted.

This Sunday service started off no differently. But as the frenzy of the worship intensified, an invisible switch seemed to click on. A wave of heat rippled through the congregation as people beside me threw up their arms and shouted.

Suddenly, something seemed to slip inside of me. A tingling raced up my spine. I stood up to clap, scream - I didn’t know what I was about to do.

Is this, I wondered, the Holy Ghost that Aunt Sylvia sang about?

Singing gospel to keep muggers away

Easter Sunday is supposed to be about resurrection. For me, it’s also about remembering. When I see women herding boys in crisp new suits into the pews during Easter service, I sometimes think about the woman and the church that gave me my first lessons about faith.

I also think about an eerie encounter that I kept to myself for years because I knew it would sound so bizarre.

I didn’t join the church. I was drafted. My aunt forced me and my younger brother, Patrick, to go to worship service every Sunday.

We grew up in Baltimore, in an impoverished neighborhood so dangerous that my aunt would sing gospel hymns aloud as she walked us home from the mall at night. She thought church music warded off muggers.

My aunt wasn’t just my protector; she was my anchor. My mother was gone. My father, a rough merchant seaman, spent most of his time carousing overseas. I spent much of my childhood in foster homes with my brother.

Aunt Sylvia gave us a sense of family. She was a short, round woman who wore black wigs and wide, colorful hats with feathers to church. She would watch us on the weekends and buy presents for us when Christmas and our birthdays rolled around.

She never married; never had children. I told my elementary school teachers that she was my mother.

She was my biggest fan. She would collect my report cards, take me to museums and shower me with books that she nabbed from her job as a high school secretary.

I craved her approval even more than her scrumptious coconut cake. Whenever I made her particularly proud, she would give me the same peculiar look. She’d tilt her head to the left, stare at me in silence, and then her dark face would light up with a warm smile.

She was the only adult I knew wouldn’t abandon me.

Shunning church

My aunt’s smile, though, would turn into an icy glare whenever she saw me nodding off in Union Temple Baptist Church.

I thought my church was full of buffoons. I didn’t like the screaming and shouting, and I couldn’t stand the pulpit theatrics.

My childhood pastor, Rev. Churn, would sweat and yell during his sermons while taunting the congregation with lines like, “You don’t know what I’m talking about?”

He was right. I didn’t know what he was talking about; he shouted too much. When I was a kid, I thought that Rev. Churn was literally angry at the congregation because he yelled at them so much.

Once, during a fiery sermon, I thought about standing up and pleading with the congregation: “Just do what he says, and he won’t shout anymore.”

Despite my disdain for church, there was one part of service that I liked: “Testimony time.”

Testimony came at late-night services, as dusk approached and street traffic quieted outside. The services were less heated and more intimate, and during testimony, church members stood up at random to share a struggle and ask for prayer.

People often revealed the most personal details of their lives. But no one seemed to judge. Instead, people in the pews nodded and smiled, or chanted “weeeeell,” to encourage them.

Even as a fidgety kid, I was entranced. I can still remember how people visibly gathered strength when testifying, as if invisible arms from the congregation were encircling them.

Getting the ‘Holy Ghost’

Still, I wasn’t ready for any personal displays of vulnerability when my Holy Ghost moment came at 9.

When I felt that tingling race up my spine, I became afraid. I didn’t want to lose control. So when I involuntarily stood up in the pew during the service, I caught myself. Then I quickly left the church and took a walk in the cold night air until I calmed down.

As time went on, I resisted church even more. After entering high school, I mustered the courage to tell Aunt Sylvia I didn’t want to go anymore.

She was furious. She prayed aloud to Jesus. She tried to spank me. Then she retreated into silence as she drove me to church one last time with tears in her eyes. I never saw her so sad.

Soon, though, my time for tears would come.

In my sophomore year of college, I found my way back to church. A series of remarkable coincidences took place in my life. I made new friends and joined an interracial church full of people my age. And I shared it all with my brother, who quickly followed my example.

I also gained more respect for the black church. I attended college when there was a national debate about making the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday a national holiday. The debate prompted me to start reading about King and the civil rights movement.

The more I learned about the movement, the more I realized how crucial the black church was to its success. It gave the movement its spiritual fuel and many of its most courageous activists.

But my intellectual awakening didn’t quell my emotional insecurities. I had inoculated myself so much against organized religion as a kid that I began to think it just wasn’t for me. I didn’t think I was good enough.

One night, it all came to a head. I decided I was going to quit. How, I thought, would I tell people? What would my aunt say? I went to bed in despair.

Then, something strange happened.

I bolted awake, tears streaming down my face. I was on my back, right arm over my closed eyes, but I squinted anyway because I felt as if I were looking directly into the sun.

I felt a presence within that light. I was crying because I had never felt so exposed. This light seemed to bore through me, revealing my most sordid deeds, my inadequacies and my fears. I felt like an insect.

Despite that feeling of shame, I felt something even more powerful: love. It seemed as though this presence, something as immense as the universe, was telling me that I was accepted.

What do you do with such an experience? Was it a dream, a breakdown, youthful foolishness? I don’t know. But that moment changed me. I couldn’t quit. I had encountered something else besides my aunt that wouldn’t abandon me.

One last smile

As I think about that nighttime experience now, it takes on another meaning as well.

If my aunt was my childhood anchor, the black church was her source of strength. How could I reject the institution that nurtured her?

I thought all of the shouting in my childhood church was for show. I didn’t know the history behind the shout: slavery, segregation, people who “got happy” because life was so grim.

Faith, without emotion, is dead - that’s the lesson I absorbed from the black church, and from my aunt.

I never saw my aunt “get happy.”  But I can’t imagine she would have sacrificed so much for me and my brother if she wasn’t driven by a powerful emotion - love.

And I would have given up on my faith if I had not been overwhelmed by the emotion I experienced during my night of tears.

I never shared my nighttime experience with my aunt. It was too embarrassing to share with anyone. Yet she saw me and my brother return to church.

Three years after I graduated from college, though, I had to say goodbye to her.

She was 60, and dying from liver failure. I took a week off to visit her in Baltimore, but I didn’t go to the hospital to see her for several days because I kept making excuses. I didn’t want to accept that I was losing her.

I finally went to the hospital with my brother to see her one sunny afternoon. She was in a hospital bed, her once stout body shrunken, her dark complexion yellowed. She was unconscious.

I didn’t know what to do. I felt guilty for taking so long to see her. So I started to babble. I don’t know if I told her I loved her, or if I even thanked her.  But I do remember this: Though I went there to comfort her, she ended up comforting me, much like she did when I was a boy.

As I looked down at her, trying not cry, she opened her eyes.

She was too weak to talk. But she gave me that peculiar look - the tilt of her head to the left and the long stare - and then she smiled.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Black issues • Christianity • Easter • Faith • Houses of worship • Lost faith • Opinion

soundoff (1,716 Responses)
  1. free thinker

To my atheist friends. I ask you, what if you are right and I am wrong? What have you gained and what have I lost? But... What if you are wrong and I am right? Then you have lost everything. For if you are wrong, you will realize that your proud boasting of how you are somehow smarter than those who chose to believe in God will be silenced. For if you are wrong, you will experience such emotional pain for a life wasted and realize that it is to late for you. You will probably think of those who you care for and know that you cannot reach them with what you are now experiencing. Those who I have met that state that they do not believe in God or the Bible describe themselves as open minded free thinkers. Are you? I thought I was.

April 24, 2011 at 10:43 am |
    • Me

So we should just go back to (I used to believe this mess of a book called the bible) pretending to believe something we know is not possible. Pretend to believe in stories written thousands of years ago to explain our existence to a simple people. We should all just 'try again' because if we don't we'll suffer an eternity of horror from a vengeful creator? So do this to be on the safe side? Wow. what logic.

April 24, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • Craig

What if the key to eternal life is jumping up and down six times and yelling "FUTON" at the top of your lungs at the top of every hour? I figure we all better do that just in case this is the truth. One day, you will thank me. You scoff at this, yet call yourself an open minded free-thinker?

April 24, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • Name*ATHIEST

This argument is so riddled with flaws. Using your thinking then I should believe the homeless guy who says he is.god or the lady who says she is the one....on and on. What if THEY are right and YOU are wrong? Your stance is conceited and pompous.

April 24, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • Canuck1979

If I am wrong, and when I die there is a God, he will forgive me for not believing. If he doesn't, he is vein, and can suck on it.

April 24, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • JAM

How can you call yourself a free thinker when you believe in Christianity? religion has downplayed the very nature of science and free thought ever since it's creation. To answer your question, if I'm right and youre wrong, guess what you loose? A good chunk of your life wasted on an obvious lie. Just wait. Atheism will rise in the years to come as people begin to think for themselves. just wait and see. People will become free thinkers.

April 24, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • Justin

Atheism is irrational.

April 24, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • ZeebleZub

You think so little of your soul that you don't even bother checking to see if you are believing the right way.
      Your pascalian fumbling is just more proof that you have no idea what you're talking about.

April 24, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • jason

ahh, good ole Pascals Wager.

1) This assumes you have picked the "right" God. You very well could be wrong as well.

2) This also assumes the 'cost' associated with believing in a false doctrine your entire life is zero. Which could be 'okay' with you, but not for me.

Lets try to keep the logical arguments to those who properly understand them. You can continue in believing in talking snakes and zombie Jesus's all you like – some of us have a head on our shoulders and enjoy using it.

April 24, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • Ruderalis

If I'm right and you're wrong, then you did lose something. You wasted countless hours of your life being involved with delusional church goers with cult like behaviors.

Religion has been the reason for the majority of wars fought since the beginning of time. "In God We Trust," allows your government to use religion to control you and get you to accept their "Holy Battle with Evil" as Bush called it, or terrorism.

Atheists do not go out of their way to make the religious feel stupid. How many Atheist have you seen going door to door harassing people who haven't accepted Jesus yet? THATS HARASSMENT!

April 24, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • the truth

Sorry Justin, faith is irrational.

Free thinker your name should be changed to free "stinker".Your egoistic monologue denotes no understanding of atheistic values. Living in fear of something or someone even when you don't believe in dominion of a god over the human spirit is slavery. You are a slave to your faith and belief in a false god. I have a faith in the goodness of humanity and the promise of a better tomorrow.

April 24, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • Don Camp

@Me You are on a journey that isn't over yet. Keep an open mind. Look at the evidence. Listen to both sides. Think critically. Perhaps you will find your way back to trust in God. But the truth is most who have left faith and the book or have refused to consider at all have done so not because they have looked carefully at the evidence but because faith is inconvenient.

What is clear is that faith is not merely the hide of the ignorant or the unthinking, for there have been many men and women of great intellect who have embraced the truth in the book.

April 24, 2011 at 11:16 am |
  2. Special Moments

About 10 years ago was the first time I was touched by the holy spirit. I was reading an article about a forensic look into the crucification of Jesus Christ. The barbaric way he was put to death. The author of the article asked a Dr., "why do you think a man would allow this to be done to himself?" He replied, "because he loved us." At that time, I felt it. Words could never describe it. To cry uncontrollably and feel wonderful at the same time. To feel loved as you have never felt before. To feel like electricity is jolting out of every pore.

Upon describing my "special moment" to someone, they asked me if I have taken a recent interest into God and Christ. I had. He told me, "you've been touched by the holy spirit" And at that point, I knew. I knew there was a God and he had touched me.

I still have these "special moments." They are few and far between, so I cherish each one. I can only hope and pray that everyone gets to experience what I did. The feeling of complete peace and love. I'm not religious, but I do believe in God. I've felt him. I've felt the holy spirit.

Please, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I was agnostic until the day I speak of. I guess the best was I can put it is, I finally believed.......and then he proved it to me.

To each and every one of you.....Happy Easter!!! 🙂

April 24, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • Name*

Your "comment" touched my heart! Thanks for sharing! Have a Happy and Very Blessed Easter!

April 24, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • Charles

These special moments are simply meant to be experienced. Apparently, you can't hold onto them... you can't accurately share them... you can't describe them. You can only accept them and know that there is more to us than can be expressed.

April 24, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
  3. Jill B

Thank you for his beautiful article! I loved it, I related to you and I related your Aunt who loved you so much! I have always had a strong faith in God but don't express it much to others as I have found people want to argue about it. I can't explain my faith really, I just have it. I have a young son who seems very resistant to believing in God and I worry about that, in this world so full of trouble. I hope my son will find his own faith as you did as you got older! Thank you again for this beautiful story!

April 24, 2011 at 10:42 am |
  4. Rainer Braendlein

Dear Mr. Blake,

you made an extraordinary experience, but I have a question:

A lot of ordinary people (Jesus loves particularly ordinary people) don't make experiences like you. Will they never be saved?

I agree with you, it is extremly important to get the Holy Spirit. A Christian life is not possible without the Holy Spirit. However, I am convinced, the triune God has prescriped an easier way to get the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is given near-tearms to Holy Baptism (this statement is according to the doctrine of the famous theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer and of course according to the Holy Scripture). Reading "Epistle to the Romans" Chapter 6 you could see, what happens during Baptism.
    When someone approaches Jesus Christ (recognizing Him as Son of God) and expects to be set free by Him, he or she can be baptized. The Baptism is not a magic-mechanic act, but nevertheless God acts during Baptism and creates a new man. Do you know "The Chronicles of Narnia; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader"? The basic idea of Narnia is that children enter the beloved land of King Aslan and get converted to Aslan (in our world Aslan in Jesus) over there. One of the children was called Eustace and he was somewhat a bad boy, allways trying to spite other people. Nobody in our world could help him to become a good guy. Once upon a time Aslan called him to Narnia, where he was bewitched into a dragon, in order to show him the state of his soul. For a certain time he had to suffer, but thank God Aslan had a plan with him and the bewitching was just the first step on a good way, Eustace had to go. Aslan led the dragon to a most beautiful fountain. When he entered the water, layer by layer of his ugly skin droped down and after a while Eustac had reconverted to a nice boy. When he met the other children, having entered Narnia together with him, they realized that Eustace had experienced a big change, not solely outside, but even inside. That was it. Aslan had cured Eustac by Holy Baptism. Before Baptism the only thing, Eustac could do, was it, to believe the words of Aslan that the fountain will provide health by His (Aslan's) power.

If you feel pain about your sins, dear reader, come to Aslan's fountain and get delivered. He loves you so much.

Kind regards,
    Rainer Braendlein

April 24, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • daneke

Thanks for clearin' that up!

April 24, 2011 at 10:44 am |
  5. Name*ATHIEST

How many more decades ...centuries will you "christians" keep saying " ....before it's too late". I am always reminded of the famous movie line..."follow the money.

April 24, 2011 at 10:42 am |
  6. Wilson

Thank you for sharing. Happy Easter to you.

April 24, 2011 at 10:41 am |
  7. tony

Where's the "Disbelief Blog" for the vast majority of rational sane CNN subscribers? Or will we get the "Tooth Fairy" and "Father Christmas" blogs next?

April 24, 2011 at 10:41 am |
  8. Newyorker

Holy sh!t!

April 24, 2011 at 10:40 am |
  9. xnay

To the haters – don't surround yourself with yourself

April 24, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • daneke

Please define "hater" for me. Is hate now a verb?

April 24, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • Charles

Um, last I checked the dictionary – yes "hate" is a verb.

April 24, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  10. BS Meter

I am proudly raising my children as atheist. No myths in my household and my Sundays are awesome.

April 24, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • Name*ATHIEST

We do the same. No creepy mysteries here. Everything can be explained. We are held accountable for our own a actions.

April 24, 2011 at 10:48 am |
  11. Agnostic

Hi everyone, I use to believe in God when I was a child. I want to believe in him, but my whole life so far, 29 years, has led me to become agnostic. There is no proof there is a god and there is not proof that there not one. So I am in the middle of this battle between aetheist and believers. But I think I got the solution here, we can do a little experiment:

Aetheists, if you truly believe there is no God then you won't have a problem helping me disprove God correct? Your asking how do we disprove it? Well I got a simple solution...The bible says there is a devil and demons and they are here on Earth. Well I need a couple of Aetheists to step up and help me disprove that there is a devil...Simple logic will tell you that if there is no devil, there is no God. Well aetheists, I need you all to be true to yourselves and want to know the truth. How do we disprove the devil you ask? Simple, you aetheists need to become satanic worshippers, santeria, voodoo, etc...Anything that the believers say are works of the devils. Aetheists, if u try it and it works then obviously there is a god. For if there is a devil, then that is proof in a God. Now keep in mind that according to the believers, in the bible it says that anyone who seeks the devil or messes with demons, will not be forgiven of there sins. It is like the ultimate fear tactic you aetheist would say...Well aetheists, will you still up and take on this experiment?

April 24, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  12. Napster

While I can sympathize with a brainwashed person having occasional psychedelic highs and hallucinations, why CNN chose to publish this on front page is beyond comprehension.
    Sad. People are dying around the world in wars and natural calamities, the nation is mired in economic problems and instead of reflecting on something positive CNN chooses to spread black magic!

April 24, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  13. carl

God rocks.

April 24, 2011 at 10:37 am |
  14. Paul

After reading an article like this, I think I will finally boycott cnn.com. It is a dangerous article in that it compound people's pre-existing delusions about reality.

April 24, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • Charles

You are kidding, right? It is a puff piece about one person's experience. If you don't like it don't read it.

April 24, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
  15. daneke

Some claim to believe in this bible, and yet all the holidays you celebrate are not even found in that book. Some believe out of fear. What does calling the day of death "good Friday," and having a bunny the main event at some resurrection day, and having a man in a red suit with a name the anagram of Satan the star of the show, have to do with this Jesus of Nazareth? Church, banks,government, and media all control these ignorant Americans such as myself.

It's my understanding that this virgin child, holidays on both solar solstices, death and resurrection is a common story throughout the millions of years of this earth and that it is taken directly from the Egyptian "Book of the Dead" story.

April 24, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  16. tom

Why does anyone care what ZeebleZub thinks? Seriously people...what do you do when a child throws a tantrum? Negotiate with him? No. You just ignore him and he will get bored and move on.
    He has right to his opinion and so does everyone else. Bickering over something like faith is just stupid.

April 24, 2011 at 10:35 am |
  17. Agnostic

April 24, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • daneke

Sounds like a possible way to get power and the fear of trying keeps some from getting that power as they fear "burning hell." Why don't you try this mister cowardly poster? Tell us how it turns out...you can use telepathy then...no need for this chat stuff.

April 24, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • Canuck1979

I'm agnostic on the verge of Atheism, and your attempts at trying to disprove seem a bit wacky. If the only way to disprove is to become satanists and wait for something not to happen, then that is ridiculous.

April 24, 2011 at 10:50 am |
  18. Kevin

Thank you for bravely sharing your experience with the Lord. The legacy of faith that was passed down in word and deed from your aunt is powerful. Faith roots us in something eternal, someone larger than us. Its history tells the story of those who have come before us. A personal experience with God takes the faith and history that preceded us and brings it to life. It lets us know that the same God who worked in the past wants a relationship in the present.

April 24, 2011 at 10:33 am |
  19. guy

Dear Becky Re-read that Bible, hun. Jesus christ said that it will be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get to Heaven

April 24, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • Madge Gibson

The Bible is saying that a RICH man will have difficulty getting into heaven because he's unwilling to put GOD before his wealth. God must come first before money – or anything else for that matter. I'm sorry you have not understood the plan of salvation/ Just get into a church that teaches the Bible.

April 24, 2011 at 11:07 am |
  20. My Beliefs, My business.

When an infant is in a room with their parent, the baby is happy. When the parent leaves the room for a minute to do something else, the infant cries. Why? The child does not see their parent and figures they are gone. Their brain has not developed enough so that they understand that their parent is coming back. If you were to take a radio deep in to the jungles of South America and explain to the people living there that this little 'box' can talk and make music, they would think you're crazy. When it comes to the debate of 'God' and 'Jesus', I believe that our brains are not developed enough to understand the glory and our own existance. We're nothing but children with under-developed brains who can't begin to fathom the logic behind our creation....it's beyond our capacity. I feel the stronger belief you have in God makes your a stronger person within....not in relation to a non-believer, but stronger within yourself. It's easy to see an object and believe in its existance. It takes a stronger person to to have faith in what may not be as easy to 'see' in a world where everyones vision is constantly being cluttered by this world we're building for ourselves. Heaven is here on earth, we're just not smart enough to create a society where is can be seen by all. Happy Easter to everyone. Believer or not, appreciate what you have in your life and in your world, as plentiful or minimal as it may be.

April 24, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • Not Quite

The stronger one's belief in god, the stronger their selective perception. There is no logic to the creation of people. If we were created perfect, as people believe (rather than research on their own), why are people born with incurable diseases? Why are people born with cancer? Why would a god who created everyone perfect allow innocent children to die before they even have a chance to live?

April 24, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • My Beliefs, My business.

....there is no logic you or I are able to understand. Man is never claimed to be created 'perfect'. Good and evil are choices man makes. Sickness, health, illness....we have no control over that. How we decide to deal with the suffering of others we do have control over.

April 24, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • GZ

Your analogies don't work. We can see our parents and when you teach someone in a jungle about a radio, they can hold it and you can show them how it works. Your analogies have something in them called "proof". Unfortunately, your god doesn't.

April 24, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • My Beliefs, My business.

I'm no more an expert in this area than you are. Those who believe in God are at least smart enough to not discount the possibilites that mankind doesn't know everything there is to know about the universe. How do I know you're even a real person? I don't see you, can't hear you. As far as I know, you could be a program on one of CNN's computers programmed to randomly debate people's comments.....I have faith. I believe in you too!

April 24, 2011 at 11:02 am |