home
RSS
My Faith: A reluctant churchgoer 'gets the Holy Ghost'
The author (foreground, age 7), his late aunt, Sylvia Blake (left) and other family members outside their Baltimore church.
April 24th, 2011

My Faith: A reluctant churchgoer 'gets the Holy Ghost'

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - I had my first brush with the “Holy Ghost” when I was 9 years old.  I’m still trying to digest what it meant more than 30 years later.

The day began as a typical Sunday. Aunt Sylvia herded me and my brother into her 1972 baby blue Chevy Impala and drove us to church for a service that would often last five hours.

Sunday worship at a black Baptist church wasn’t just long. It was scary. Elderly women who “got the Holy Ghost” during worship would thrash so violently in the pews that their wigs flew off. People shouted, wept and fainted.

This Sunday service started off no differently. But as the frenzy of the worship intensified, an invisible switch seemed to click on. A wave of heat rippled through the congregation as people beside me threw up their arms and shouted.

Suddenly, something seemed to slip inside of me. A tingling raced up my spine. I stood up to clap, scream - I didn’t know what I was about to do.

Is this, I wondered, the Holy Ghost that Aunt Sylvia sang about?

Singing gospel to keep muggers away

Easter Sunday is supposed to be about resurrection. For me, it’s also about remembering. When I see women herding boys in crisp new suits into the pews during Easter service, I sometimes think about the woman and the church that gave me my first lessons about faith.

I also think about an eerie encounter that I kept to myself for years because I knew it would sound so bizarre.

I didn’t join the church. I was drafted. My aunt forced me and my younger brother, Patrick, to go to worship service every Sunday.

We grew up in Baltimore, in an impoverished neighborhood so dangerous that my aunt would sing gospel hymns aloud as she walked us home from the mall at night. She thought church music warded off muggers.

My aunt wasn’t just my protector; she was my anchor. My mother was gone. My father, a rough merchant seaman, spent most of his time carousing overseas. I spent much of my childhood in foster homes with my brother.

Aunt Sylvia gave us a sense of family. She was a short, round woman who wore black wigs and wide, colorful hats with feathers to church. She would watch us on the weekends and buy presents for us when Christmas and our birthdays rolled around.

She never married; never had children. I told my elementary school teachers that she was my mother.

She was my biggest fan. She would collect my report cards, take me to museums and shower me with books that she nabbed from her job as a high school secretary.

I craved her approval even more than her scrumptious coconut cake. Whenever I made her particularly proud, she would give me the same peculiar look. She’d tilt her head to the left, stare at me in silence, and then her dark face would light up with a warm smile.

She was the only adult I knew wouldn’t abandon me.

Shunning church

My aunt’s smile, though, would turn into an icy glare whenever she saw me nodding off in Union Temple Baptist Church.

I thought my church was full of buffoons. I didn’t like the screaming and shouting, and I couldn’t stand the pulpit theatrics.

My childhood pastor, Rev. Churn, would sweat and yell during his sermons while taunting the congregation with lines like, “You don’t know what I’m talking about?”

He was right. I didn’t know what he was talking about; he shouted too much. When I was a kid, I thought that Rev. Churn was literally angry at the congregation because he yelled at them so much.

Once, during a fiery sermon, I thought about standing up and pleading with the congregation: “Just do what he says, and he won’t shout anymore.”

Despite my disdain for church, there was one part of service that I liked: “Testimony time.”

Testimony came at late-night services, as dusk approached and street traffic quieted outside. The services were less heated and more intimate, and during testimony, church members stood up at random to share a struggle and ask for prayer.

People often revealed the most personal details of their lives. But no one seemed to judge. Instead, people in the pews nodded and smiled, or chanted “weeeeell,” to encourage them.

Even as a fidgety kid, I was entranced. I can still remember how people visibly gathered strength when testifying, as if invisible arms from the congregation were encircling them.

Getting the ‘Holy Ghost’

Still, I wasn’t ready for any personal displays of vulnerability when my Holy Ghost moment came at 9.

When I felt that tingling race up my spine, I became afraid. I didn’t want to lose control. So when I involuntarily stood up in the pew during the service, I caught myself. Then I quickly left the church and took a walk in the cold night air until I calmed down.

As time went on, I resisted church even more. After entering high school, I mustered the courage to tell Aunt Sylvia I didn’t want to go anymore.

She was furious. She prayed aloud to Jesus. She tried to spank me. Then she retreated into silence as she drove me to church one last time with tears in her eyes. I never saw her so sad.

Soon, though, my time for tears would come.

In my sophomore year of college, I found my way back to church. A series of remarkable coincidences took place in my life. I made new friends and joined an interracial church full of people my age. And I shared it all with my brother, who quickly followed my example.

I also gained more respect for the black church. I attended college when there was a national debate about making the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday a national holiday. The debate prompted me to start reading about King and the civil rights movement.

The more I learned about the movement, the more I realized how crucial the black church was to its success. It gave the movement its spiritual fuel and many of its most courageous activists.

But my intellectual awakening didn’t quell my emotional insecurities. I had inoculated myself so much against organized religion as a kid that I began to think it just wasn’t for me. I didn’t think I was good enough.

One night, it all came to a head. I decided I was going to quit. How, I thought, would I tell people? What would my aunt say? I went to bed in despair.

Then, something strange happened.

I bolted awake, tears streaming down my face. I was on my back, right arm over my closed eyes, but I squinted anyway because I felt as if I were looking directly into the sun.

I felt a presence within that light. I was crying because I had never felt so exposed. This light seemed to bore through me, revealing my most sordid deeds, my inadequacies and my fears. I felt like an insect.

Despite that feeling of shame, I felt something even more powerful: love. It seemed as though this presence, something as immense as the universe, was telling me that I was accepted.

What do you do with such an experience? Was it a dream, a breakdown, youthful foolishness? I don’t know. But that moment changed me. I couldn’t quit. I had encountered something else besides my aunt that wouldn’t abandon me.

One last smile

As I think about that nighttime experience now, it takes on another meaning as well.

If my aunt was my childhood anchor, the black church was her source of strength. How could I reject the institution that nurtured her?

I thought all of the shouting in my childhood church was for show. I didn’t know the history behind the shout: slavery, segregation, people who “got happy” because life was so grim.

Faith, without emotion, is dead - that’s the lesson I absorbed from the black church, and from my aunt.

I never saw my aunt “get happy.”  But I can’t imagine she would have sacrificed so much for me and my brother if she wasn’t driven by a powerful emotion - love.

And I would have given up on my faith if I had not been overwhelmed by the emotion I experienced during my night of tears.

I never shared my nighttime experience with my aunt. It was too embarrassing to share with anyone. Yet she saw me and my brother return to church.

Three years after I graduated from college, though, I had to say goodbye to her.

She was 60, and dying from liver failure. I took a week off to visit her in Baltimore, but I didn’t go to the hospital to see her for several days because I kept making excuses. I didn’t want to accept that I was losing her.

I finally went to the hospital with my brother to see her one sunny afternoon. She was in a hospital bed, her once stout body shrunken, her dark complexion yellowed. She was unconscious.

I didn’t know what to do. I felt guilty for taking so long to see her. So I started to babble. I don’t know if I told her I loved her, or if I even thanked her.  But I do remember this: Though I went there to comfort her, she ended up comforting me, much like she did when I was a boy.

As I looked down at her, trying not cry, she opened her eyes.

She was too weak to talk. But she gave me that peculiar look - the tilt of her head to the left and the long stare - and then she smiled.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Black issues • Christianity • Easter • Faith • Houses of worship • Lost faith • Opinion

soundoff (1,716 Responses)
  1. Tommy Waters

Why is this story on the front page of CNN.com? Seriously, news should be about facts and not about someones unfounded religious beliefs.

April 24, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • Agnostic

Moron because it is on the religious blog and it is Easter! There are tons of Christians in this Country...Wow ur dumb

April 24, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • abmwilli

What's the matter? Think you'll be "sucked in" if you read about someones religious experience?

April 24, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • Tommy Waters

You follow a made up religion that is full of stories stolen from the religions before it and you call me a moron? I don't think so. And there are more people in America who do not follow this religion than there are who do. This belongs in the funny papers and not on the front page of cnn.com.

April 24, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • Agnostic

I BELIEVE IN FREEDOM OF RELIGION. WHATS THE BIG DEAL GIVING CHRISTIANS A LITTLE FRONT PAGE ON THE WEBSITE LINK TO A RELIGIOUS BLOG. I BET IF IT WAS UP TO U, U WOULD GET RID OF EVERY RELIGION. U HATEFUL SOB...LET PEOPLE DECIDE FOR THEMSELVES...BTW NON RELIGIOUS PERSON ARE USUALLY MORE CORRUPT THAN CHRISTIANS OR EQUALLY THE SAME

April 24, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Igor

"BTW NON RELIGIOUS PERSON ARE USUALLY MORE CORRUPT THAN CHRISTIANS OR EQUALLY THE SAME"

Is that why Ahteists and Agnostics are greatly underrepresented in prison populations?

April 24, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • KeithTexas

Tommy you are a fool and a person that disrespects people. I am not religious nor do I believe as these people do but I do respect their spiritual life. Perhaps you will live long enough to accept people as they are instead of needing to judge them in order to feel okay with yourself.

April 24, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • Agnostic

Dummy they come in as aetheist and in jail they play the game become religious...Im sure there are more aetheist in jail than christians, by far...

April 24, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • Agnostic

The Bible tells us in Deuteronomy 18:10-13; "There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you. You shall be blameless before the LORD your God."

April 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Igor

"Dummy they come in as aetheist and in jail they play the game become religious...I"

Strong words for a BS troll who calls himself an agnostic yet proposes a stupid experiment just to annoy anyone with a shred of intellectual honesty. How do you know that any of these people come in as atheists. If your guess is aeven remotely true, does it mean that the figures regarding Agnostics and Atheists are incorrect, and there are actually more than 15% in U.S.? Do people come to prison atheist and convert immediately or does it take time? How did you arrive to these conclusions. Don't you think the surveys which provided the lower number of nontheists in prison asked about prior religeous affiliation?

I know I am a dummy, but perhaps your brilliant mind can elucidate some answers to these questions.

April 24, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  2. Reconnected

GOD is the source...the ultimate source of love. If you listen to music...you hear the voice of GOD. You don't have to believe it...take gravity...you don't have to believe in gravity but i bet if you jump off a building you feel it's effects. We need to change our collective consciousness. Whether you believe in a god, GOD, energy source, whatever...how would you deny LOVE? The language we use to communicate often times gets in the way of what we are saying. Peace and love to all!

April 24, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • NL

Why wouldn't anyone believe in gravity?

April 24, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • Reconnected

It seems so simple doesn't NL?

April 24, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • NL

Simple in what way? Things fall, and we say that is due to gravity. It's not like we should ever expect to start falling up if the present scientific explanation as to how gravity works gets replaced by a better scientific explanation, and it certainly wouldn't be reason to give up on science altogether and begin to suspect that some cosmic being is holding us down with their invisible thumbs.

I can be just as moved by music and love as a believer, but why should I ever suspect that something other than a natural process within my brain causes that? You call it "God", but by doing so you are actually wedging a source of separation between people where my natural explanation actually unites all humanity. I fail to see how your idea that love, music and anything else you want to ascribe to God are actually special gifts from the special deity followed by an elite few actually benefits the world.

April 25, 2011 at 8:22 am |
  3. Eric, Rosalie, Chase, Autumn & Jasmine Faulkenberry

Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

April 24, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  4. Reconnected

GOD is the source...the ultimate source of love. If you listen to music...you hear the voice of GOD. You don't have to believe it...take gravity...you don't have to believe in gravity but i bet if you jump of a building you feel it's effects. We need to change our collective consciousness. Whether you believe in a god, GOD, energy source, whatever...how you would you deny LOVE? The language we use to communicate often times gets in the way of what we are saying. Peace and love to all!

April 24, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
  5. TX

What I don't understand is, why do some atheist try so hard to ridicule religion? If I were an atheist which I am not I would stop worrying about other people lives and just live my own. Since, I would believe that there is no God, etc I surely wouldn't bother reading these articles and leave comments trying to deface christianity. I have many friends that are atheist and have discussed many things with them, and one of the things they told me after reading these comments was, these atheist are fake if they were true atheist they would not ridicule something that doesn't exist. Think about it, why do some atheist try so hard to deride something so harshly when they simply don't believe that God exist.

April 24, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Because everywhere we look the delusional ones force their "god" on us... on our currency, in our courts, in our schools (the pledge of allegiance as distorted in the 50's), our government...

Keep your myths to yourselves... religion is something that should be practiced by consenting adults in the privacy of their homes...

April 24, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  6. Maru

Mr. Blake:

Thank you for sharing your personal story. How wonderful it was that your Aunt Sylvia acknowledged your presence during her last moments. That must have been a great comfort for both you and her.

/s/ Maru

April 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
  7. Da Easta Bunny

Damn religion, you scary!

April 24, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
  8. Xavier

Respect and love for one another is what we still lack; not only as a nation but as a world...love thy neighbor..remember our time here is limited and precious use it wisely for the coming of the Lord is soon. Happy Easter everyone and may the Lord bless each and everyone of you.

April 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • doris

and God's Blessings to you also/

April 24, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
  9. Dee

I can't lie, it really bothers me that you atheist even choose to read something that you obviously can't relate to. If you choose not to believe, then you have no right to ridicule others that do. Why are you even here in this country where it is apparent that most Americans are believers? You freely use our currency which clearly states "In God We Trust"! If you've ever been to a court of law, you know that before a person gives testimony they place their hands on the Holy Bible. This great nation was built on our forefather's faith & beliefs, that yes, we are one nation under God! James 2:17-19 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that- and shudder. "Amen". I'll continue to pray for the believers & non-believers. The first shall be last & the last shall be first. Amen & God Bless.

April 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • doris

I wonder, when they are done here, do they go to the Buddhist, Islamic, Hindu, and Jewish websites and harras those people too?

April 24, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  10. Victor Chief

I get tingling in my spine when I've been sitting down for a while.

April 24, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
  11. Aaron Marefka

The past cannot go back forever, then; the universe must have a beginning. The next question is whether something caused this beginning, or whether the universe just popped into existence out of nothing. We all know, though, that nothing that begins to exist does so without a cause; nothing comes from nothing. For something to come into existence there must be something else that already exists that can bring it into existence. The fact that the universe began to exist therefore implies that something brought it into existence, that the universe has a Creator.

April 24, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

Congratulations, you are straight forward. I like you.

April 24, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
    • Rational Thought

You assume that time is linear, but that's only the way in which we perceive it. Time may, in fact, be circular. The universe may not have a definite beginning or ending point. Look up Einstein's theory of special relativity. Jumping to the existence of a "Creator" just because you cannot perceive an alternative explanation is weak logic.

April 24, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • Yeah right

"the universe just popped into existence out of nothing." The problem with your logic in trying to understand it is that it then also begs the question God couldn't just popped into existence out of nothing LOL! I know the answer it's because God was created out of the imaginations of men. LOL!

April 25, 2011 at 8:33 am |
  12. Jim

To One & all- Happy 1,978thResurection Day 🙂 1,978 years ago Jesus Rose from the dead -proving he was who he said he was. We all have sinned & fallen far short of the Glory of God- The penalty for our breaking Gods Laws is Death- Jesus – Yeshua took the penalty that we deserved & paid for all our sins in full with his own blood on the cross. To receive his free gift of salvation – Repent, Ask God to forgive you & save you, & fill you with his Spirit. I Am Not Ashamed of Jesus or the Gospel . I have told you- now Go & tell someone else of God's love & His gift of salvation. The Gospel must be preached to the World, What better way than the internet.

April 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  13. Nathan

Haha this sounds like the song about the mississippi squiril.hahahahaha

April 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • doris

Funny song!

April 24, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  14. William

FYI

April 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  15. Ike

The debate in these comments is really pointless. The non-believers will require nothing short of God Himself walking up to them and introducing Himself. If a believer shares their experiences that lead to their belief in God and Jesus Christ, we are called mentally ill (no hostility there, huh?). There's historical evidence that Jesus Christ existed (even from non-Christian sources). It's not that we don't have evidence, it's that any evidence is immediately ignored because, frankly, you don't want to believe!

Non-believers, you are free to believe how you want. I have no say in what happens to you after you die, so I won't even bother with the "accept Jesus or you're going to hell" speeches. I think that kind of scare tactic is bogus anyway. I don't hate non-believers, I have many whom are good friends of mine.

Believers, the fire and brimstone, you're-going-to-hell-unless-you-believe arguments only reinforce the negative impressions that non-believers already have of us.

BTW, you can prove something doesn't exist, you just have to no EVERYTHING about the universe to prove it. Otherwise, you're just operating on faith that the little you do know about the entire universe explains the entire universe.

OK, go ahead and mock me, put me down, call me mentally ill, or whatever. I'm making my one comment and moving on with life. I'm going to go out and enjoy the beautiful day outside instead of sitting at my computer in a useless debate.

I hope everyone, and I mean everyone, has a Great Resurrection Sunday! Oh wait, as to not offend the non-believers, Have a Great Day!

April 24, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Ike

Darn it, get to typing too fast and it always happens!!!!

It should be "know everything in the Universe" and not "no everything in the Universe". My mistake!

April 24, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • ZeebleZub

Actually, the problem is that you have no actual evidence.
      Your lame argument fails. Again.

April 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • soysauce

no one is offended by the resurrection sunday comment..however I think it is funny when religious people get stuff wrong. Easter isn't christian at all. Simply google "origins of easter", it has nothing to do with jesus, it's a 100% pagan holiday. Why do you think we have symbolism of eggs and rabbits at easter...because it's a celebration of fertility, and pagans used to worship the goddess "estre", the goddess of fertility, at this time (spring solstice). Aren't pagan holidays condemned in the bible? Technically, christians who celebrate easter are committing sin. Don't believe me? Do a simple google search. You'll find that I am right and there are a bunch of christian websites denouncing the celebration of easter.

April 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • R.Lord

Zeeble Zub: there is actual evidence that Jesus existed and was crucified. The question is, did he actually make miracles or was he a con man? Was he crucified for more secular reasons, like theft and deceit? Why did the people of his own village chase him out and curse him( according to the bible this happened), did they know him well? There is also ample evidence that Joseph Smith and David Koresh actually existed, and they too made claims of being divine and creating miracles that can never be verified, and both were clearly con men and criminals who got in trouble with the law and were subsequently killed.

April 24, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
  16. Tina

THE MAN WITH THE EXPERIENCE IS NEVER AT THE MERCY OF THE MAN WITH THE ARGUMENT!

April 24, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  17. HI

if jesus is the son of god and was voted to be considered a Deity at the council of Nicea in 325 AD, and this whole holy ghost thing, then how is Christianity monotheistic. I am not a Christian and i really don't understand this

April 24, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  18. Dmitriy

Believe what you want to believe, just stop trying to cram your fire and brimstone beliefs down everyone elses throats. If youre an atheist you should also try to not bait the religious people.

lets face it, everyone believes that everyone else will burn in hell for all eternety if they dont side with THEIR belief structure, now that cant be true for EVERYONE. So either the majority of people were incorrect when standing with their convictions (and what makes you believe that your creed is special?) or we really are going to have a day-of-the-dead-hells-gona-overflow-and-the-dead-shall-walk-the-earth ANY MINUTE NOW.

Believe what you want to believe and quit baiting and or trying to convert the other side.

April 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Fine... just get your damned mythological deity off my currency, court houses, schools, and other government insti.tutions...

In DOGS we trust...

April 24, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
  19. Florz

The thing that surprises me most about the comments written here by "non-believers" is the venom and hatred they display towards those who do believe in God. Does the fact that some of us believe Jesus is the Son of God drive them into a frenzy of having to be sarcastic and ridiculing towards those with faith? Frankly their comments sound of the bitterness when adults say, "Mommy and Daddy didn't love me." Perhaps because they haven't found the love of God they feel bitter towards those who have found something that brings joy into other's lives? Whether or not there is proof of God isn't the point here. The point is, why are the non-believers so upset that many of find joy in our faith? It's not up to them to prove to us the existence of God, it is our OWN personal choice.

April 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • ZeebleZub

Florz, no one is "upset" that you enjoy your delusions. It is the fact that they are delusions that gets me upset. They are lies. You think lies are okay? Then prepare for the shlt.
      If you knew how to keep your religion to yourself, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. That's another thing to get upset about.
      You can't keep your religion in your pants. You think it's okay to blend government and religion and I tell you that is a sure way to violence.
      Nobody gives a crap whether you enjoy playing with yourself or not.

April 24, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • doris

There is really only one reason why people who have no stake in Christianity would so vehemently hate it. The Bible explains where this hate comes from. The same place the hatred that put Jesus on the Cross came from. I am not referring to the reasoned arguments as to whether God exists, but the statements like:

In DOGS we trust...

April 24, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • R.Lord

Perhaps the atheists who post the venomous speech have been harassed by a State Trooper who was also a Methodist minister, been told by their grandmother that her minister said their children will spend eternity in hell because they didn't baptize them, been overcharged by an openly Christian business owner and then told that they were not a nice person and they needed to find Jesus, or maybe when they were a child they were Jewish and got beaten up by a group of Christian bullies who held them personally responsible for killing their lord.

April 24, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  20. Rainer Braendlein

Dear Mr. Blake,

you made an exciting experience, but I have a question:

A lot of ordinary people (Jesus loves particularly ordinary people) don’t make experiences like you. Will they never be saved?

I agree with you, it is extremly important to get the Holy Spirit. A Christian life is not possible without the Holy Spirit. However, I am convinced, the triune God has prescriped an easier way to get the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is given near-tearms to Holy Baptism (this statement is according to the doctrine of the famous theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer and of course according to the Holy Scripture). Reading “Epistle to the Romans” Chapter 6 you could see, what happens during Baptism.

When someone approaches Jesus Christ (recognizing Him as Son of God) and expects to be set free by Him, he or she can be baptized. The Baptism is not a magic-mechanic act, but nevertheless God acts during Baptism and creates a new man.

Do you know “The Chronicles of Narnia; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader”? The basic idea of Narnia is that children enter the beloved land of King Aslan and get converted to Aslan (in our world Aslan is Jesus) over there. One of the children was called Eustace and he was somewhat a bad boy, allways trying to spite other people. Nobody in our world could help him to become a good guy. Once upon a time Aslan called him to Narnia, where he was bewitched into a dragon, in order to show him the state of his soul. For a certain time he had to suffer, but, thank God, Aslan had a plan with him, and the bewitching was just the first step on a good way, Eustace had to go. Aslan led the dragon to a most beautiful fountain. When he entered the water, layer by layer of his ugly skin droped down and after a while Eustac had reconverted to a nice boy. When he met the other children, having entered Narnia together with him, they realized that Eustac had experienced a big change, not solely outside, but even inside. That was it. Aslan had cured Eustac by Holy Baptism. Before Baptism, the only thing, Eustac could do, was it, to believe the words of Aslan that the fountain will provide health by His (Aslan’s) power.

If you feel pain about your sins, dear reader, come to Aslan’s fountain and get delivered. He loves you so much.

If you have yet received infant baptism just refer back to it and don’t get baptized again. Just believe right now and follow Jesus.

April 24, 2011 at 12:17 pm |