home
RSS
April 25th, 2011

Billboard battle over Judgment Day

(CNN) - We've told you about the caravan of RVs touring the country to warn people about the end of the world, which they say will begin on May 21.

Now, the American Atheists are mounting a counter-campaign.

The group has posted a billboard in Oakland, California - home to Family Radio, which is spreading the "awesome news" that Judgment Day is near - declaring that such messages are "nonsense."

"The Rapture: You KNOW it's Nonsense," the American Atheists' billboard announces. "2000 Years of 'Any Day Now.'"

The billboard - which cost $27,000, according to the group's website - invites passers-by to "Learn the Truth" at the group's "Rapture Party" on May 21-22 in Oakland.

The atheists also plan to hold parties in Houston, Texas, and Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the website says.

"This is how religion hurts people, one of the many ways religion hurts people," American Atheists President David Silverman told CNN Oakland, California, affiliate KGO.

"Our hope is that those who are not suckered in will learn from the people who are."

Read the full story at KGO's website.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Death • End times

soundoff (2,436 Responses)
  1. Dave

Just like to clarify that only Evangelicals and Fundamentalists actually believe in the rapture. Catholics and Protestants and such believe differently. The rapture is just a belief that caught on about a century or two ago that has become popular for some reason. In my and many others opinion it is just a bogus idea.

April 25, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  2. Chitown Jason

What a waste of resources...from both sides.

"I'm right" "NO I'M RIGHT I'M SHOUTING LOUDER", etc...It takes two to tango. Stop bickering and do something useful.

April 25, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  3. Dsopinion

The atheist group should not waste money paying for billboards, the people who are stupid enough to believe in a rapture on May 21 will not change their mind until May 22, and maybe not even then.

April 25, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  4. AchievementGap

No one knows the day or the hour...so just make sure you're ready.

April 25, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • MarkinFL

I was born ready. I'm mortal and I will die one day. Simple really.

April 25, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  5. Nathan

Too bad these and the Hillsboro Baptist idiots are the "Christians" getting most of the press. The obvious litmus test for true Christianity is: do their thoughts/actions jive with the New Testament, and Jesus' words in particular. Think Mother Theresa, MLK, Jim Elliott,etc.

April 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Ryan

CNN is very liberal. You don't see many stories about the donations, relief to disaster stricken countries, or medical missions on this site.

April 25, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • Michael

Of course, if you ask a fundamentalist, Mother Teresa and MLK Jr. are burning in hell right there alongside Gandhi – they weren't BORRRRRN AGIN!

April 25, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • Observer

Ryan,

Trying to change the subject is a waste of time.
      Guess you missed all the Haitian relief stories. Guess you missed all the CNN people trying to help out there. Pay attention.
      Now back to our topic.

April 25, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
    • MarkinFL

That is because news outlets are not generally in the business of reporting everyday occurrences. No one is going to read the 500th story published about a Christian donating their time or money to charity. If there is an unusual, AKA a "human interest" angle, then yes it may well get a write up and frequently does. I frequently read about good deeds done by religious people. Perhaps YOU are just ignoring the stories as boring.

April 25, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • Ryan

Observer,

Nathan was talking about the type of press that Christians get...: "Too bad these and the Hillsboro Baptist idiots are the "Christians" getting most of the press. "

I was referencing that they do get lots of press on CNN, while the christian churches doing these other things (helping haiti, etc) do not get as much press.

Learn reading comprehension.

April 25, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  6. Burning Man MN

Will they take my offer? I'll put up $10,000 and pay them if Judgement day does occur on 5/21/2011, and they put up $10,000 and give it to me on 5/22 once they realize they calculated incorrectly. I see it as a win-win...at least for moi. I'll do the same offer for the end of the world as they note on October 21, 2011; $10K to them if they are correct, $10K to me if they're wrong.

April 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  7. Observer

Family Radio may have made a mistake in the calculations. Their expert might have stomped his feet the wrong number of times when he was adding.

April 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  8. Get over here!!!

I just hope this guy isn't some wacko that decides to kill all these people with spiked kool-aid when he realizes he's wrong...again.

April 25, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  9. Joe

Dear Christians, I do not believe in your god for the same reason you do not believe in Thor or Odin or Shiva.

April 25, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Ryan

Cool story bro

April 25, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  10. Jack Storrow

although not a believer, i think it's best to respect everyone's ideas. i wouldn't laugh or make fun, but would simply ignore. everyone should just take a step back and take a down a notch or two.

April 25, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Chitown Jason

Good, reasonable post.

April 25, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  11. balls88

Aww bummer, May 21st is my birthday. THIS RUINS EVERYTHING

April 25, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Dsopinion

LOL

April 25, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  12. Ian

I want CNN to find this guy when it has passed and ask him how he feels about nothing happening...

April 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Get over here!!!

Probably the same thing he said the last time he was wrong.

April 25, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
  13. bill mcmasters

The end of laughter and soft lies, the end of nights we tried to die.

April 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  14. Stephen

And when they are wrong? Whoops! Forgot to carry the 1 in the calculations. We were wrong again. Don't worry, we'll be back again with a corrected year. LOL at these poor people, this is what religion does to the brain in the really crazy cases.

April 25, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  15. dna_level_c

I've never listened to Family Radio, but I might tune in on 5/22. "Gee, folks, we didn't really plan on being here today..."

April 25, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  16. theDude

That's just, like, your opinion, man.

April 25, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Get over here!!!

You made my day

April 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  17. Tammy

The Bible warns against false prophets, and it also says that He will come like a thief in the night.

April 25, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Hmmm

Most Christians will probably shoot him if he does that.

April 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • Ellen

Exactly Tammy! This is why I roll my eyes at foolish ministers saying that the world is going to end on 'x' day.

April 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Chitown Jason

lol...true, that is what it says.

Brinks Home Security should be using that in an ad campaign.

April 25, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • Lettuce Prey

@Hmmm, thanks for the chuckle. Folks on this thread are way too serious!

April 25, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  18. OMG!

What I find totally sad is the "preacher" who is proselytizing that the world is going to end on May 21st is also saying this to his KIDS, aged 1 and 3 yrs old. I don't care if you are Chicken Little or believe that little green men are going to show up tomorrow, but it is abhorent to me that he's brainwashing his kids to believe this crap and scare them in the process.

April 25, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Get over here!!!

I believe in Jesus and I agree with you. The fact that he's forcing this on the children makes me sick. Did you watch the video of the two girls? How sad.

April 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Lettuce Prey

Don't all believers bring their children up to believe as they do? Don't all Christians, for example, raise their childre to believe that if they don't "have a personal relationship with Jesus" and "accept Jesus into their hearts" and say their prayers and behave a certain way, then they will burn in hell for all eternity? Isn't that even scarier that what these people are doing to their children? What's the difference?

April 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  19. HotAirAce

For those that would like to know the "facts" about May 21, go to ht tp : // www . ebiblefellowship . com / may21 / .

For those looking for greater amusement, you might want to read what Marilyn Agee has to say at ht tp : // prophecycorner . theforeverfamily . com / . The folks at ht tp : // www . therefinersfire . org / marilyn_agee_prophecy . htm don't agree with her, but they are entertaining in their own way.

April 25, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  20. Get over here!!!

I believe in Jesus. But I still love to play me some Mortal Kombat. Poppsy!!!!

April 25, 2011 at 5:01 pm |