home
RSS
April 25th, 2011

Billboard battle over Judgment Day

(CNN) - We've told you about the caravan of RVs touring the country to warn people about the end of the world, which they say will begin on May 21.

Now, the American Atheists are mounting a counter-campaign.

The group has posted a billboard in Oakland, California - home to Family Radio, which is spreading the "awesome news" that Judgment Day is near - declaring that such messages are "nonsense."

"The Rapture: You KNOW it's Nonsense," the American Atheists' billboard announces. "2000 Years of 'Any Day Now.'"

The billboard - which cost $27,000, according to the group's website - invites passers-by to "Learn the Truth" at the group's "Rapture Party" on May 21-22 in Oakland.

The atheists also plan to hold parties in Houston, Texas, and Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the website says.

"This is how religion hurts people, one of the many ways religion hurts people," American Atheists President David Silverman told CNN Oakland, California, affiliate KGO.

"Our hope is that those who are not suckered in will learn from the people who are."

Read the full story at KGO's website.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Death • End times

soundoff (2,436 Responses)
  1. Adam

Religion is a lie. People who believe this crap are pretty blind and dumb. May 21st? What possible SCIENTIFIC evidence could they possibly have? And no, i don't accept any spiritual visit from "God" as evidence. I can't wait till May 22nd, when these idiots are exposed for what they really are: LIARS. Don't get me wrong, the world will end..... in about 5 billion years when the sun goes supernova (scientifically proven fact), or when some terrorist or republican gets there hands on WMD's. The bible was written by man, not "God", and therefore in my opinion is invalid even if I thought there was a "God". The USA needs to wake up, the rest of the world is finally starting to see religion for what it is: a giant scam!

April 25, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • Ryan

You do realize that your "Science" almost certainly has tons of aspects that are flat out untrue, right? I'm not saying science is a bad thing or that we shouldn't invest in it. I'm just saying that it isn't the end all be all of truth. There is an unknowable amount of "science" that we do not know or understand yet... Science is a man-made way to understand what is around us, and could have fundamnetal flaws that we just don't know about yet.

April 25, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Ryan

Please provide a short list of aspects of science that "are flat out untrue." I think you are exagerating at best, or more likely knowingly lying.

April 25, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • gremlin

Science has nothing to do with religion. Science is the process of testing and measuring the physical world. We use science to show evidence for what is logically describable at the time. There are many things that are taken as theory or law, but any good scientist will never say something is proven. You can only mount evidence and disprove. God or any other supernatural ent-ity is outside the bounds of science. You cannot prove or disprove the existence of god because it is not part of the physical world. Thus god has no part in science and science has no opinion on god. To think otherwise is to have no clear understanding of the nature of science or the philosophy of religion.

April 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • Ryan

@HotAIrAce

My point is that we don't know that they are untrue yet. Because science is the way that we learn to understand how the universe works, its theories are constantly being modified once we learn something new. Obviously science in the 1500s had some facts that we now know in 2011 were not true. Just like in the year 3000 we may say "oh, remember that Big Bang Theory... That was complete garbage."

April 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • Ryan

@ Gremlin

Thank you! I agree completely.

April 25, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Ryan

I concede that I did not fully "read for comprehension" your opening sentence above and therefore apologize for questioning your intent. That being said, I put way more faith (virtually infinity vs. zero) in the scientific method, public peer review, continuous improvement building upon prior knowledge, experimentation, etc. than some bit of bad fiction written 2000+ years ago without any corroborating evidence other than itself.

Diminishing science does not enhance or establish the truth of religion.

April 25, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
    • American

Hippie

April 25, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
    • Ranz

Science is scary. I'm surprised the nutjob Christians haven't tried to get The Big Bang Theory taken off the air.

May 16, 2011 at 1:39 am |
  2. Kathy

The bible says NO MAN shall no the hour of his coming. We see the signs of his coming, but no one knows the day or hour of his coming. Not even the angels in heaven!! This kind of stuff causes people not to believe in God. Just live life as this is the day he will come for you, if not today then tomorrow. Always be ready. The five wise virgins and the five foolish virgins. The five wise were always ready for the bride groom. The five foolish let their lamps go out and had to return for more oil when the bride groom came. They missed out for not always being ready!! He is coming, we just don't know when!! He does not go by our schedule only by his!!

April 25, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • Elnots

The disciples swore up and down that Jesus was coming back for them. Almost 2000 years later and we're still waiting. We know not the day or hour. What happens 7000 years into the future when still nothing has happened? I went to Church when I was a child. We had constant, CONSTANT warnings from preachors, pastors, and evangelists. And so many of those dummies put dates on WHEN it would happen. HA!

April 25, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • pat carr

"There shall be some standing here that will not taste of....". how about those 2,000 year old men?

May 2, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
    • Ranz

Whats with the virgins? 72 virgins for Osama Bin Laden, a couple of wise ones for Christians. This religion crap reeks of old men wanting to get some young tail.

May 16, 2011 at 1:38 am |
  3. Elnots

HAIL The only one and true religion. Agnostism! Join me my fellow humans in understanding that we don't know everything, there MIGHT be something out there that's more supernatural than natural. But like ALL OTHER HUMANS KNOW, we have no facts one way or the other. Any ideas, thoughts, conclusions and understandings to the contrary lead back to faith, which in reality is just hope, which in further reality is just wishful thinking.

/bow

April 25, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Mike

Amen

April 25, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • Ranz

FINALLY!!!!! The voice of TRUTH!!!!

I don't know. YOU don't know. No one knows.

Done, over an out.

May 16, 2011 at 1:35 am |
  4. paige

I know Jesus Christ lives. I know His church, just as it was, has been restored to the Earth. I know he knows you. Yes, you who is reading all these posts looking for some sense in this world. I know he wants you to find Him... because he created you...and he loves YOU. Come find out what I believe and others like me. http://www.mormon.org

April 25, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Elnots

What if I'm not searching for any sense in this world? What if I'm content with not following any organized religion and I don't feel a gnawing feeling like some great emptiness in my soul? What if you bothering me about religion actually puts me off and upsets my zen thing?

April 25, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • HA25

No Paige you don't "Know". You HOPE. You BELIEVE. I've met with the Elders and local head (Bishop I think he's called) – who are Very nice people – and in the end the question is: "Study and do you FEEL His Presence? Then Join Us". You have not looked critically. You have not asked for Proof. You have not searched for Truth. Rather, you believe what you've been told by family or by very very nice people who also have not asked critical questions.
      Would you drive a car that had not been tested? Would you go to a Doctor who has not been tested? Why then can you trust your spirit and more than that try to convert others??

April 25, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • crucified

Paige... Mormon is a cult... a 16 year old playing the forest naked saw a vision..probably a Demon.. and decided to add to the bible...very similar to the Q-uran actually.. Jesus and the Devil are not Brothers! You are not a God! you will not get your own solar system to rule over! you cannot have more than one spouse. Trust the original KJV of the Bible.. and stay away from additions. The mormons also predicted the end of the world..it didn't happen..that is what happens when you add to the bible.

April 25, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • Madtown

paige
      "I know Jesus Christ lives. I know His church, just as it was, has been restored to the Earth. I know he knows you."
      ------

Paige, try on a little humility. You don't "know" anything, you 'believe', or 'have faith'. That's the definition of faith, trust in something unknown. You shatter any chance of being respected when you come across as so arrogant that you "know" details that can't possibly be known.

April 25, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • Lettuce Prey

@crucified, you continually accuse atheists of being angry and resentful and hateful in your posts, but who now is slamming paige for her beliefs? Why all the exclamation marks at the ends of most of your sentences? That says anger like nothing else on a keyboard.

April 25, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • Crucified

@Lettuce Actually for me Capital letters are Anger..... and that would be all CAPS... no anger only Love. It's Love that motivates . the way I see it you are either motivated by love or Hate.. ..

April 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Ranz

You don't know Jack...Paige.

May 16, 2011 at 1:33 am |
    • Ranz

I watched Big Love. I want a couple of wives too.

May 16, 2011 at 1:34 am |
  5. Monk

To all "riligeous people" ,how closely you follow the religion? you know the answer

April 25, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  6. evos

So there are people who actually believe there is an invisible man living in the sky? Does he have a long gray beard? Does he actually sit on a throne? What does he look like? Is he black, white, hispanic, asian, East indian? How tall is he? How much does he weigh? I just want to know.

April 25, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

So you ar asking those that believe in an invisible man for the description of ..someone who is "invisible"?

Wow... interesting atheism you have going there. 🙂

April 25, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • Russell

God is not invisible, he is in everything, made everything, continues to make everything....just look around.

April 25, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • Str82real

Ha Ha..there are some people who can look at the earth, spinning at just the right speed to provide gravity for us and the sun is just the right distance to provide heat without killing us and say yeah..this just kinda happened by coincidence. All these animals, plants, insects and different shades of humans, just kind of popped up with now designer.
      If you can replicate an explosion that can create anything even remotely close to a civilization than i will buy your theory.

April 25, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • Chuck

So you're going to tell me some all-powerful being just got bored one day, decided to create people, let these people live for a few thousand years before sending his son to spread the word of god, then these people kill his son. He's even more incredibly bored, and now creates people that not only don't believe in him, but creates other people that will kill people that believe in him? He has all the power in the world and he decides to put a bunch of little people on a planet and hopes they'll worship him? Try to recreate that, or try to find some actual physical evidence, or try to explain why some all powerful being would do that. Yeah, that's how easy I can turn your argument around. There are billions of stars in our galaxy. There are billions of galaxies. So doesn't it seem logical that out of billions of stars within billions of galaxies, a planet managed to get positioned perfectly to sustain life?

April 25, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • Kathy

He is very real and he is everywhere. He bible says if you go to hell he will be there. If you go to heaven he will be there. He is everywhere. No one knows what he looks like. The bible says, NO Man who looks upon his face will live. Someday every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Jesus is Lord. You will see him as his child and heaven is your or meet him not knowing him and hell awaits you!!

April 25, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
    • Kathy

Can science raise the died without machine or medicine? Can science make a limb grow instantly without any help, My God can? Science is only limited by what God gives it the ability or knowledge to do. If you beleive in the big band theory why has it not repeated it self?

April 25, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
    • Silliness

"Can science raise the died without machine or medicine? Can science make a limb grow instantly without any help, My God can?"

Your god can't you only say that because it was written in a book, doesn't mean it's true. If it was true then why hasn't anything like that been in recent history or recorded in over thousand years? My God can fly to the moon can yours? LOL!

April 25, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
    • pat carr

"The bible says, NO Man who looks upon his face will live. Someday every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Jesus is Lord."

the bible also says that donkeys talk. That axe heads float. that light was created before the sun. that the earth stood still. that hundreds of thousands of species of animals were put into a small ship. The bible is a silly book filled with hate, violence, death, atrocities, absurdities and general drivel. even the genealogies do not line up correctly. the gospels don't match (was that 2 thieves that mocked jesus or ONE)?

May 2, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
    • Ranz

Rusell, You have no more proof that God made everything than you do that it was all purchased at Sears Surplus by Aliens and sprinkled on Earth 1,000,000,000 years ago.

May 16, 2011 at 1:32 am |
  7. Larry Pooface

I blame Obama and the Democrats for this Hell problem. It's them, I know it.

April 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  8. Catherine

If the atheists have never taken the time to read the Bible, then they have lost there credibility. The scriptures point out that if some one predicts something will happen and it doesn't it was not from God. God gave us freedom of choices, which we ultimately decide, and will live and die with.

April 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

'Catherine – If the atheists have never taken the time to read the Bible, then they have lost there credibility.'
      Yeah except this group is specifically responding to a CHRISTIAN group that claims they do indeed know the date. Dont blame the atheist group for responding to a group that obviously has not read scripture.

April 25, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • gremlin

Some atheists have read the Bible. And I believe it says that although you can know that the Day of Judgment is at hand, no man can truly know which day. And by man, I assume that means humans of any gender.

April 25, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • Lettuce Prey

What makes you think that atheists have never read the bible? Some of us have read it thoroughly. It's part of why we're atheists.

April 25, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • Ranz

So I have to read every nutjob's book or I have no leg to stand on? Ok then, just call me Neil.

May 16, 2011 at 1:30 am |
  9. Jerry

Horray for religious nuts

April 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  10. Amfleet

I hate billboards made by atheists. They're always telling me what I do and don't know.

April 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
    • kaygee

And there are so many of these billboards – one. That versus the millions of religious billboards in these united states of commercial religion.

April 25, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • pat carr

boo hoo. out trots the christian violin. and how many "atheist billboards" are there, compared to christian ones. you people make me sick

May 2, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  11. Jim

Why does the video on CNN at 0:23 on street sign saying "Do Not Enter" & "Wrong Way"?

April 25, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • Ed

foreshadowing

April 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  12. DarkAngel

Ok to be honest this is SO RIDICULOUS and people need to STOP FALLING FOR THIS END OF THE WORLD STUFF ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!! Earth is only going through its regular cycle its not going to suddenly end. Stop freaking out over it and grow up. Atheist ministers: I am extremely shocked why do you even care about it?

April 25, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Sarah

Even Atheists enjoy peace. They practice love and they practice care. Maybe they want to help people see another viewpoint, one that may counteract any shock/scare tactics used by 'Radical' Christians.

April 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Ed

Not all christian are radical and most of us don't agree with the group claiming the rapture is on may 21 or 22. I think its great they athiest did this I hope they have a great turn out and a load of fun. The method does seem similar to the methods use by the evangelic christian groups though. They are saying basically the same thing. Come to out gathering learn the truth sounds a lot like typical christian bill boards to me.

April 25, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • DarkAngel

I enjoy love and peace as well and im a Jewish Wiccan. To me I just dont believe itll happen at all. Its just a scam

April 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Ed

@DarkAngel, I don't know much about wicca but judism follws the same God as christianity and wicca follows the mother right? just asking isn't tha a bit of a contradiction

April 25, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
    • Sarah

Disclaimer: I put the " around Radical to try and say the radical ones in the Christian group, not meaning all Christians are radical...

April 25, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • Lettuce Prey

"Atheist ministers"? Isn't that an oxymoron?

April 25, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  13. Kevin K in Texas

Nature is the creator, The rapture will be when we have exhausted all our resources on this planet.. Our alien brothers and sister will come and take what useful humanity is left and all the rest will be left to toil in a resource deprived planet.. Nature created us and our alien brothers and sisters..

April 25, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • GAH!

Except that whole General Relativity things says that faster than light travel is not possible. Ever.

April 25, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Kevin K in Texas

I still want all you "rapturians" to bring your car by my house when you are about to be taken.... that way i don't have to drive all the way to your shack in Arkansas to pick up the rust bucket..

April 25, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • Jessica S

@ Gah! Well... people used to think it was impossible that the earth was round didn't they?

April 25, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  14. Billy

I just learned that Judgment Day is opening for Pinback. Should be a hell of a show.

April 25, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  15. Greg

$27,000 to tell a bunch of crazed christians they're wrong? You know, I expect stupidity from religious nuts, what's the athiest excuse? These rapture fearing folks are going to look stupid no matter what, seems like that kinda money could have helped people in real need rather than going to something so petty.

April 25, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
    • kaygee

The billboard does help people. It starts conversation like this one that may save some minds. Worth every penny.

April 25, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • Greg

@kaygee Sorry, but anyone who takes serious advice or makes serious life choices from a billboard on the side of the road is beyond help.

April 25, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • Lettuce Prey

Greg, I think Kaygee's point is that the billboard has gotten people talking, discussing, questioning, thinking, which is exactly the reason this atheist organization paid $27,000. No one says you can't believe, but believe after study, believe after questioning, believe after giving it some thought. I think that's the real message.

April 25, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • Just Sayin'

I see your point Greg, but we must fight stupidity or stupidity will come back to haunt us. Money well spent.

April 25, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
    • OldYgg

If you don't have exactly the same opinion about the hundreds to thousands of billboards put up by Christians you are a hypocrite.

May 3, 2011 at 12:05 am |
    • OldYgg

Oh, and also... You are basically saying that atheists shouldn't act on their first amendment right to free speech because they are atheists and shouldn't engage the stupid(er?) Christians.

It would be so nice wouldn't it if the atheists shut up and everyone could pretend that everyone was good god believers even though some of the god believers go a bit overboard.

May 3, 2011 at 12:07 am |
    • Ranz

Amen brother...amen.

May 16, 2011 at 1:28 am |
  16. crucified

Atheist keep saying they want No God...well in Hell, There is no God.....just keep down the same path and that is what you will end up with...complete seperation... enjoy Grace while you can.

April 25, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • Mike

Actually, hell is not the absence of God, it is the adsence of Gods Love.

April 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

ah yes eternal punishment for some reason, in his loving and forgiving nature. lol.

April 25, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • crucified

@Cedar Rapids..... Eternal Punishment would be of course...Your Choice.... You can take the Blue Pill, The Red Pill, or No Pill at all. But your eternal destiny is based on your choice.

April 25, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • gremlin

Ahhhh, that concept of not judging, of not presuming to know who is saved and who is not that is taught in this book called the Bible. I think you might need to get in that "not worthy" line with us. I seem to remember that faith is not enough, but actually works go a long way......

April 25, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Madtown

"well in Hell, There is no God....."
      ---–

How do you know this?

April 25, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • Mugo

@Cedar Rapids – That reply would be expected from those that don't understand – we rejected God, from the beginning, and through now. The choice to be without him is OURs, not His. If your kid ran away from home, when to some shady 'hood, got hooked on everything, then started blaming you that is was all your fault he ran away and got in this prediciment (even though they were all HIS choices...free will...), this is how it ACTUALLY is with Us and God. You can't choose NO GOD, then condemn HIM for not allowing your sinful oil into his pure water. They don't mix. This is OUR choice, not his. He wanted us all to have, well, Heaven, from the beginning. Get it straight. Don't punish the worried parent waiting lovingly at the door for the actions of the spoiled-brat-addiction-riddled kid that ran away. What more can that parent do put say "when you've had enough, I'm here". ??

April 25, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • mdmooser

Is there a bumper sticker on your car that says "I 'M SAVED" ? Good Idea huh? Why don't you go get one? And exactly how did you become the interpreter of personal spiritual matters for everyone? Let's seeeee, hmmmmm........was it personal interpretation? Yep, thought so.

April 30, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
    • pat carr

yes "hell" – christianity's stupid scare tactic that works on weak minded people and children

May 2, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
    • OldYgg

Er, isn't god everywhere? Isn't that what you Christians consistently tell the rest of us? Speaking of which where exactly was he on the time frame that Hitler and Stalin killed millions of people? I want to bring him up on aiding and abetting millions of murders.

May 3, 2011 at 12:04 am |
    • Ranz

We don't say we don't want God. We are saying there is no God. Agnostics however don't give a crap one way or the other.

I like them.

May 16, 2011 at 1:28 am |
  17. Mark Williams

My birthday is on May 31st, what a crappy time I will be having. =(

April 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Ed

or 1 heck of a party

April 25, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • Ranz

Have a hamburger. You'll be there for your birthday sport.

May 16, 2011 at 1:26 am |
  18. Marty Ex-Atheist

Hey Atheists give the world PROOF and EVIDENCE that atheism is accurate and correct !
    True Christianity Goes Beyond Blind Faith,....I'm a former atheist and ever since I became a SINCERE aggressive truth seeker/researcher I know Christianity is One and Only Truth. You can verify it historically, geographically, archeologically, numerous witness accounts from time of Jesus and those also outside of Biblical literature like Josephus +Justin Martyr etc, creation,micro +macro science, personal divine coincidences in ones life that defy regular coincidence, etc etc .

April 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Ihaveabridgetosellyou

We dont have to prove anything. Atheism is not believing in god. You're the believer. thats your job.

April 25, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
    • Ihaveabridgetosellyou

In fact, you can't even prove that Jesus ever existed. Not even the first followers of christianity. ex. Justin Martyr. Explain that.

April 25, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Observer

You can PROVE the Bible is right because you know that snakes talk, people can live hundreds of years, the earth can suddently stop spinning, people can live in whales, the world is flat, hundreds of thousands of animals can live and have food for months on a ship much smaller than modern cruise ships, and the numerical value of pi is 3. Yup.

April 25, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • Steve Still-Atheist

No you can't. There's not a shred of proof in any of that stuff you listed. In fact, the opposite is true.

I also highly doubt you were ever an atheist.

April 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • wt

You forgot the incest.

April 25, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

'You can verify it historically, geographically, archeologically'
      oh please do tell us how.

April 25, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • Justin Observation

If you had the guts to tell the truth, you would admit, you do not know the absolute truth. Which makes you just another liar, in a long line of liars.

April 25, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • gremlin

I was always told by my religious friends that to prove your faith indicated that you had none. By its very nature faith means believing without proof. All you're doing is showing your lack of faith.

April 25, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • The one known as Longinus

Having been there 2000 years ago, I can assure you that EVERYTHING that supposedly comes from there has been altered, edited or rewritten to reflect what the (un)Holy See wants. The originals (that haven't been destroyed) are locked in an impressive vault located 3000 feet below The Vatican.

April 25, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • Ned

A lack of evidence is not evidence. But nice try.

April 25, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • Thomas Howard

I think religions are a joke, and responsible for some of the worst events in human history. That being said, if you are a believer more power to you. Just don't try and tell me how to live my life. One of the biggest problems with organized religions is that they're not content with their flock, they feel everyone else needs to believe what they do. (Blue laws, anti-gambling laws, anti-abortion movements, anti-gay marriage laws-the list goes on).

April 25, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • pat carr

you weren't an atheist. a weak agnostic maybe. now you've given your mind over to a disgusting old cult. Who fed you the koolaid?

there's nothing to be proud of, Marty

May 2, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  19. evos

All I need is proof. It's s easy as that.

agnostic

April 25, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • Morgana

The nature of reality has become easy to understand through physics. Its all an illusion. Everything we can observe is made up of molecules, made up of atoms, made up of... until you get to the very bottom, and everything is made out of one thing alone. Crazy as it sounds, according to physics, that thing is everywhere at once until a conscious observer tries to measure it. This suggest a connection between our consciousness and the underlying fabric of all that is, and the smallest possible object, that makes up everything is really nothing but pixels of a concept of mass. So, what is this consciousness that observes? Its tricky. Everything you perceive through your senses goes 'digital' before the point of actual perception. what you see becomes digital information, and you're processing it about as fast as imaginable right now, huh? Tips of your fingers? Observed from a small point in the back of the brain, processed and sent to your "consciousness" So what's God? All that is. the maker and primary participant in the hologram in his dualistic form to experience all that is and can be. It's you and me, baby!

April 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Ned

Nice longwinded theory of a value no greater than the Bible, Koran, or the Helping Friendly Book.

April 25, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • Chuck

What's interesting is that this tiniest possible thing in the universe is the only true argument against evolution and the scientific creation of Earth. Yet, religions don't argue using it, they argue it with fear and other things that psychology can easily explain. When someone is at their lowest moment and then turn to a deity, then of course they're going to believe it was a deity when their life magically gets better. It's psychology. When people are desperate, they have nothing to lose and will believe in anything, with the most obvious proof being the rise of Nazism while Germany was in complete ruins. Again, it's psychology. When people are uncertain or afraid of dying, they want something to ease that uncertainty, psychology can explain that as well. I have nothing against religious people until they start trying to spread the word and say things such as "How could man show sincerity and positive emotions like that unless trying to please god", or asking me what I have to live for if I don't believe. I'm with the OP, until there's even one percent of a fraction of physical evidence, which there isn't, why should people believe it? I'm going to accuse you of murdering my parents; I don't have any evidence whatsoever, but if I write an in-depth book about what happened, I guarantee I could get people to believe it. The human brain is the most incredible thing in this universe.

April 25, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • gremlin

If you need proof, then you have violated the foundation of religion–faith. As an atheist, if I cannot believe in god without verification, then the rest is meaningless to me.

April 25, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • crucified

What is nice about physics is it is a mathmatical model and proves the existance of a greater reality to this inferior reality.. that is called Heaven.

April 29, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
    • Cindy

@ evos – that's the only legit stand anyone can take but so, so many marry the ideas they were taught as children.

May 2, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
    • Ranz

When did Science prove the existence of Heaven? Did CNN cover that?

May 16, 2011 at 1:23 am |
  20. BP

All religions are wrong, including atheism. It's time for us to start using our heads and learn about the real universe, including the quantum universe we can't see. These books left behind from our ancient forerunners are nothing but brainwashing material for the ignorant.

April 25, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • Ed

But if we can't see it, hear it, smell it, fell it or taste it. how can we belive in it or prove it. sounds like faith to me

April 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Sarah

We are it, Ed.

April 25, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • Ed

@Sarah, Colld can you prove it

April 25, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
    • kaygee

Umm, Atheism's not a religion buddy.

April 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • Ed

@Sarah, sorry that should have said cool can you prove it.

April 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Casey138

No, not all religions are wrong. Religions that use fear are wrong. Many religions, esp Eastern religions, promote a wonderful, loving lifestyle.

April 25, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Just Sayin'

You spoke like a true atheist. And, by the way, atheism is not a religion.

April 25, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Sarah

Sure, We are all made up of energy. Energy which can neither be created or destroyed. Much like that famous "God" character who allegedly created us in his image.

April 25, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • Ed

@Sarah, how does that prove the quantum universe?

April 25, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • Kevin K in Texas

April 25, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Skeptical Analysis

Atheism is not a religion. It is a personal relationship with reality.

April 25, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • Maybe

Kevin K in Texas,
      " Our alien brothers and sister will come and take what useful humanity is left and all the rest will be left to toil in a resource deprived planet."

Heheheh. You watched "Battlefield Earth", huh? Did you know that it was written by L. Ron Hubbard, the Scientology guy?

There is probably more potential in that bit of sci-fi than there is in that "Rapture" thang.

April 25, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • YBP

Atheism is the lack of religion. It's not a religion. But many of us were once taught to be religious. We had doubts. We delved more deeply. And now we can be sure that religion is a sham. We cured ourselves. And that explains why we know so much more about religion than the so-called religious.

April 25, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
    • Sarah

Every single particle of our own energy making up even the smallest nucleus of an atom leave and return. When they blink out of "our space," where they go is the answer to your question...Thats how we are "it." I think!

April 25, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
    • Ed

@Sarah, I think I understand what your saying that our body is ultimately made of energy not matter in the form a singularities in the atoms that make us up and when we die that evergy is untimately retured to the quatum universe that makes us the quatum universe. If I have that correct then I see what your saying if not I still missing something. However that is a belief and as iof yet has not been proven fact and may never be proven fact or may one day be proven fact. As of now it can not be emperically observed in the smae way god can not be. therefore it is believed by those who choose to beleive on faith. I'm not saying its wrong just not proven so not fact and therfore faith.

April 25, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • crucified

the quantum universe you speak of is Heaven..

April 29, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • Lycidas

"Atheism is the lack of religion. It's not a religion."

Maybe not, but it's def a belief.

April 29, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Cindy

I don't think Atheism quite meets the criteria to be labeled a "religion" but I see your point. Atheism is just as thick-headed as religion because both dogmas are based on opinion rather than fact.

May 2, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • Reality and Truth

Atheism is an absence of hope. The lack of expectation for things to come that are not seen. I find it interesting that Atheist don't believe in God yet believe in the Big Bang. The Big Bang, if it were real would be considered a miracle because we have nothing to compare it to today. We build and we create. So why is it so hard to believe that we were built and created? I have a question for Atheist, when does growing old and dying stop? Every day without god you wake up and only look forward to dying at some point or some horrible disease. Your at the mercy of the system and never understanding why we have bodies that are built scientifically to live forever yet we die so quickly. You have all the answers yet you have none and you would rather look forward to nothingness than hope in forever. So be it.

May 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Stevie7

"Lycidas
      "Atheism is the lack of religion. It's not a religion."

Maybe not, but it's def a belief."

Is not believing in Santa a belief? I guess I also believe that I don't believe in the tooth fairy.

A lack of belief is not a belief just as not collecting stamps is not a hobby.

May 4, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • Chase

atheism is not a religion. /discussion

May 18, 2011 at 5:30 pm |