home
RSS
April 25th, 2011

Billboard battle over Judgment Day

(CNN) - We've told you about the caravan of RVs touring the country to warn people about the end of the world, which they say will begin on May 21.

Now, the American Atheists are mounting a counter-campaign.

The group has posted a billboard in Oakland, California - home to Family Radio, which is spreading the "awesome news" that Judgment Day is near - declaring that such messages are "nonsense."

"The Rapture: You KNOW it's Nonsense," the American Atheists' billboard announces. "2000 Years of 'Any Day Now.'"

The billboard - which cost $27,000, according to the group's website - invites passers-by to "Learn the Truth" at the group's "Rapture Party" on May 21-22 in Oakland.

The atheists also plan to hold parties in Houston, Texas, and Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the website says.

"This is how religion hurts people, one of the many ways religion hurts people," American Atheists President David Silverman told CNN Oakland, California, affiliate KGO.

"Our hope is that those who are not suckered in will learn from the people who are."

Read the full story at KGO's website.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Death • End times

soundoff (2,436 Responses)
  1. Mattyb

The bible mentions nothing of this. They are full of poo. Southern blue collarism is their god. I can't believe i agree with the atheists on this. This group is blatantly hurting people. They do so by putting foolishness in their heart. This would hurt christian denominations uncorellated to this group.

April 25, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
    • jeebs

34"I tell you, on that night there will be two in one bed; one will be taken and the other will be left.
      35"There will be two women grinding grain at the same place; one will be taken and the other will be left.
      36Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other will be left."

This was Jesus talking to his disciples. If you would read the lead up to these sentances, you will see that Jesus is telling his boys that before this happens, the world will be much like how it was before Noah went into the ark, much like how it was before Lot left Sodom. He says that it will be much the same way before he returns. Hmmm.... any similarities? Noah was laughed at, Lot was laughed at....

April 25, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
  2. Ahawkeye

So were all going to be gone May 21st. On May 22 we can all laugh at another religious claim gone down the tubes. Hopefully this will shut them up for a while.

April 25, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  3. abby

How many times has someone predicted that the "end is near" and nothing happened?
    atheists and Christians will never see eye-to-eye -
    but a little civility and decency would go a long way -
    by the way, I'm a Christian but I'm not sitting around thinking the world is going to end any day now.
    I just keep living my life the best way I can following His teachings of compassion, service, and prayer.

April 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  4. Caleb

Compare the statement made by a mortal below to what the Word of the Eternal Living God said 2000 years ago:

Place emphasis on the word "Nonesence" and the phrase "2000 Years of 'Any Day Now".

Now look at what the Lord says in the second epistle of Peter, chapter 3:3,4.

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
    And saying, Where is the promise of his coming?

The Atheists are doing exactly what He said they would do!

He is coming.

You can mock.

You can’t scoff.

But you can in NO WAY prevent the coming of the Living God, the Lord Jesus from keeping his promise.

Caleb

April 25, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
    • malek

There I just did the same thing, that doesn't mean a whole lot. It didn't exactly take a genius to predict that some people would not believe that revelation will happen when it was written. It cannot be proven wrong or right, until the day it happens that is. But if it never happens, and I mean never happens, it will still not be proven wrong. That's why you should focus on other parts of the bible, this particular part doesn't mean anything until it is actually going down.

Why don't you quit sitting around waiting for this to happen, and start actually living by the bible. Wanting to see people who disagree with you burn in a lake of fire is petty and unforgiving. And I stress UNFORGIVING. Forgiveness is what you as a christian should be doing the most of.

April 25, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
    • malek

Doh! it cut out my first bit cause I put it inside some dashes.

What I meant to say was, someday some crazy stuff will happen somewhere, it will be the end of the world. There will be people between now and then who do not believe what I am saying now.

April 25, 2011 at 7:43 pm |
  5. Periplaneta

Really now, this childish bickering is really pointless. The rapture occurred a year ago last Thursday, so if you're here now, and you thought you'd be going . . . well, maybe next time around.

April 25, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
  6. greenkelly

i have been arguing FOR may 21 for many months..no one believes it ,,i cant find one...only God can end this endless endtime debate by showing up on that day,,// pray like the king of Ninevah ..jonah 3.9

April 25, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  7. Cowboy Jim

I think there is a misunderstanding between views here. Christians think atheists regard themselves as higher beings and atheists think Christians are weak minded individuals. Both sides probably have their reasons behind their beliefs, but both sides really need to respect each other.

April 25, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
    • Rogue

Do you respect insanity? I sure don't.
      Crazy bullshlt will never deserve respect as far as I am concerned!

April 25, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  8. GAW

For 2000 years many Christians have made predictions about the end of the world. They all have one thing in common...They have ALLl been wrong. If these folks have any sense of decency they will apologize when the end does not happen. Or maybe they will claim that somebody didn't do their math right. Then they will make another prediction and another and another....... I wonder if they have ever read and taken seriously the following passage “If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him” (Deut. 18:22). Get your stones ready for May 23rd folks. Sorry no women allowed and not until the whistle blows. lol

April 25, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
  9. Maria

No body gets to heaven by good deeds it says in
    .John 3:16-18

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

I am.not.ashamed to say I believe in.the lord their are lots of people who.think its a laughing matter people.criticize him I mean HE DIED ON.THE CROSS FOR.OUR.SINS HE PAID THE PRICE FOR.US AND.YET SOME PEOPLE.STILL INSULT HIM I CAN GUARENTEE YOU IT WILL NOT BE A LAUGHING MATTER HAVING TO SPEND ETERNITY IN HELL JUST REMEMBER.NOONE.KNOWS.THE DATE OR.HOUR ONLY.GOD

April 25, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • sassypants

Amen Maria!

April 25, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
  10. AnnonUSA

No, this time it's really real... Really.

LMAO

April 25, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
  11. Joe

THese are some fun posts I love watching the combat.

April 25, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
    • GAW

I agree Joe. Fundamentalists fighting Fundamentalists! Neither side convinces me. Maybe I hope for the end to come soon so that this nonsense will stop lol lol

April 25, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
    • thegadfly

GAW: On the fence is a most dangerous place to be. And I take exception to being called a fundamentalist. Humanists are not the ones claiming nonsense to be true just because someone wrote it down centuries ago.

There is one "fundamental" question to which I do keep returning: If parts of the bible are demonstrably false, why should we believe ANY of it?

April 25, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
  12. Joe

I was thinking this earlier...Yea, though I walk thought the valley of morons I shall fear no stupid people for I am logical and level headed and I shall not be driven insane.

April 25, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • thegadfly

God said I should smite you. Would you mind kneeling down for a sec?

April 25, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
  13. Jesus

Dear Humanity,
    Christianity is overbooked and there is no more room in heaven or on earth for you retards, please make a new religion.
    Sincerely,
    Jesus

April 25, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
    • Spin

Dear Humanity,

Christianity is overbooked and once you let it go then the truth of the people in other worlds can reveal themselves to you. It's not till you let go of your false God that your mind will open to the truth. The angels, lifting the ship of God and giants in Genesis and Ezekiel were people from other planets, but the human mind could not grasp this technology.

Jesus

April 25, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
  14. lawrence wilson

read the alchemist by Ben Jonson- about the same time as shakespeare i think.

April 25, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
  15. lawrence wilson

after money was invented then came religion- it seems that god cant do anything without money

April 25, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
    • Woody

"Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool."
      — Voltaire

April 25, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
    • Mel B

"That's one thing that trumps religion. Capitalism." Emma Stone in "Easy A"

The only 'Armageddon' this planet will see is when the human race does something stupid enough to extinct ourselves.

April 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  16. ImSoDone

Look around, people. What would Buddah do?

April 25, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
  17. jeebs

I saw several posts (even one from an 11 yr old?!?) saying that Jesus never said that: Please read jus a short clip of Luke 17:

36Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other will be left."

April 25, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • sassypants

In response to this billboard.. I would also add this verse of scripture:

Matt 23:13 "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.”

April 25, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
    • jeebs

@ Sassypants

John 14:6, Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

Keep the faith

April 25, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
    • thegadfly

So shall we take seriously ALL people who are laughed at? Or only those who tell us that Yahweh is about to kill us all?

April 25, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
  18. WhatAWorld

Annoying Atheists – Maybe moralistic Christians might consider your rational thoughts if you rationally realised murdering unborn fetuses is a crime...until then shut up.

Psycho-Christians – Maybe Atheists might respect you if you gave up your stupidity, accepted astronomy, geology, and numerous other established sciences over the crazy weirdness you call Creationism.

April 25, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • @WhatAWorld

You do know that embryos have expiration dates right? So the fertility clinics that exist to help an aspiring couple to create a family have extra embryos that are never used. When they aren't used they are literally thrown in the trash...out with all the other medical waste. So instead of disposing of them like a syringe or latex glove...why not use them for something beneficial for oh I don't know....stem cell research???

The ignorance of people astounds me...

April 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
    • Brandon

Abortion is not some atheist agenda or something so what exactly are you talking about? Not all atheists agree with abortion.

April 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
    • thegadfly

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't all the fuss about the fact that abortion is generally NOT a crime? I think you meant "sin", not "crime". And sins, you can just shove you know where. The very notion of sin is an affront to rational thought.

April 25, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
    • jeebs

@thegadfly

Therin lies the root of the athiest problem. You acknowledge that there are no moral boundaries, only what each person feels is right. If you can't see the problem that your stance proposes, God help us all....

April 25, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
  19. lawrence wilson

i wonder how many Believers pay for all kinds of insurance. Do they take their kids to the hospitals to see doctors when they are ill or a church for some prayer juice

April 25, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
    • jeebs

Both, not necessarily in that order!

April 25, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
    • thatOneGuy

Depends on who you talk to. Christian Scientists for example in many cases believe that enough faith in god will heal anything. There are instances I've heard of where they allow a type 1 diabetic child to die a very long and painful death because they refuse to give them insulin. I don't think they're all that way, but I find the name Christian Scientist to be a bit ironic. Another thing that I didn't know for a long time is that christians in other parts of the world are much more rational. In European countries the idea that evolution is untrue is a complete joke, even among christians. Although I hear that the UK is becoming more like the US in that regard. Dunno if that's true though, I've never been there myself. Contrary to popular belief you CAN accept science and be a christian at the same time.

On that note, the pope has declared as much. Polluting the planet was declared a sin, and on Oct. 23 1996 Pope John Paul II declared evolution to be a system of god's creation. Now consider the fact that St. Peter was given the keys to heaven. To die hard believers in the literal bible, what the pope says comes from god.

"And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
      Matthew 16:19

There you have it, if the pope says its a sin to pollute and evolution is true, then it is so in heaven.

April 25, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
  20. Seadra

Its very childish to argue over religeon and athiests either way your not going to convert either, so its pointless... You might as well stop this stupid arguing and actually get lives XD

April 25, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • abby

may I say - ahem – amen??

April 25, 2011 at 7:14 pm |