home
RSS
April 25th, 2011

Billboard battle over Judgment Day

(CNN) - We've told you about the caravan of RVs touring the country to warn people about the end of the world, which they say will begin on May 21.

Now, the American Atheists are mounting a counter-campaign.

The group has posted a billboard in Oakland, California - home to Family Radio, which is spreading the "awesome news" that Judgment Day is near - declaring that such messages are "nonsense."

"The Rapture: You KNOW it's Nonsense," the American Atheists' billboard announces. "2000 Years of 'Any Day Now.'"

The billboard - which cost $27,000, according to the group's website - invites passers-by to "Learn the Truth" at the group's "Rapture Party" on May 21-22 in Oakland.

The atheists also plan to hold parties in Houston, Texas, and Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the website says.

"This is how religion hurts people, one of the many ways religion hurts people," American Atheists President David Silverman told CNN Oakland, California, affiliate KGO.

"Our hope is that those who are not suckered in will learn from the people who are."

Read the full story at KGO's website.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Death • End times

soundoff (2,436 Responses)
  1. Question

What's the point of trying to talk someone out of believing in Christ? A person who preached/practiced humility, love for thy neighbor, etc. I'm just wondering. As a Christian, I try to witness to others b/c I believe that your soul will spend eternity in either heaven or hell. What's your motive as an atheists for trying to "convert" me into being a non-believer?

April 26, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

You're welcome to believe in anything you wish... Just don't try to force us to follow your delusions...

April 26, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Question.. well get proof before you start... what if I told you that santa was not bringing prezzies to you this year,,you would need proof right? I know that there are only two ways to go here.. those who get prezzies and those who dont. See what lack of any evidence can do? And, the attributes assigned to jesus are basic human.. where is nothing divine in those... These attributes were needed for survival as we evolved....

April 27, 2011 at 12:38 am |
    • crucified

Logic the THEORY of evolution cannot work and breaks down at the molecular level.. natural selection cannot exist before the fisrt cell. where did amino acids get the instructions to form DNA? This impossible thought. scientist know this. You may even know this..but the New Athiest just do not want to be accountable to it..

April 27, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Nonimus

I don't know that anyone is trying to "convert" Christians, but they may be trying to re-introduce people to logic and reason.
      When we stop wasting time on anti-evolution bills in state legislatures, and anti-ho.mose.xual bills, anti-choice bills, and general religious nonsense, then perhaps Atheists will be able to relax a bit.

April 27, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • Nonimus

@crucified,
      "natural selection cannot exist before the fisrt cell."
      You are correct. I suspect that is why Darwin called his book "On the Origin of Species," not "On the Origin of Life."

April 27, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • crucified

@nominus Are you saying Atheist are-ho.mose.xual .. I guess one rebellion breeds another.

April 27, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • Nonimus

@crucified,
      Not sure which is worse, your inability to form a rational thought and follow a logical conversation (in no way did I imply all atheists are gay), your desire to demonize all those opposed to your opinions (I'm surprised you didn't claim atheists were *baby-killing* gays), or your bizarre view of the world where science and civil rights are seen as rebellion (against what I don't know.)

I honestly feel sad for your situation.

April 28, 2011 at 10:57 am |
  2. Muneef

Watch out Iblis(Satan)made an ought that he will mislead us;

The Creation of Mankind
    [7:11] We created you, then we shaped you, then we said to the angels, "Fall prostrate before Adam." They fell prostrate, except Iblees (Satan); he was not with the prostrators.

The Test of Mankind Begins
    [7:12] He said, "What prevented you from prostrating when I ordered you?" He said, "I am better than he; You created me from fire, and created him from mud."

[7:13] He said, "Therefore, you must go down, for you are not to be arrogant here. Get out; you are debased."

[7:14] He said, "Grant me a respite, until the Day of Resurrection."

[7:15] He said, "You are granted a respite."

[7:16] He said, "Since You have willed that I go astray, I will skulk for them on Your straight path.

[7:17] "I will come to them from before them, and from behind them, and from their right, and from their left, and You will find that most of them are unappreciative."

[7:18] He said, "Get out therefrom, despised and defeated. Those among them who follow you, I will fill Hell with you all.

[7:19] "As for you, Adam, dwell with your wife in Paradise, and eat therefrom as you please, but do not approach this one tree, lest you fall in sin."

[7:20] The devil whispered to them, in order to reveal their bodies, which were invisible to them. He said, "Your Lord did not forbid you from this tree, except to prevent you from becoming angels, and from attaining eternal existence."

[7:21] He swore to them, "I am giving you good advice."

[7:22] He thus duped them with lies. As soon as they tasted the tree, their bodies became visible to them, and they tried to cover themselves with the leaves of Paradise. Their Lord called upon them: "Did I not enjoin you from that tree, and warn you that the devil is your most ardent enemy?"

[7:23] They said, "Our Lord, we have wronged our souls, and unless You forgive us and have mercy on us, we will be losers."

[7:24] He said, "Go down as enemies of one another. On earth shall be your habitation and provision for awhile."

[7:25] He said, "On it you will live, on it you will die, and from it you will be brought out."

[7:26] O children of Adam, we have provided you with garments to cover your bodies, as well as for luxury. But the best garment is the garment of righteousness. These are some of GOD's signs, that they may take heed.

[7:27] O children of Adam, do not let the devil dupe you as he did when he caused the eviction of your parents from Paradise, and the removal of their garments to expose their bodies. He and his tribe see you, while you do not see them. We appoint the devils as companions of those who do not believe.

[7:28] They commit a gross sin, then say, "We found our parents doing this, and GOD has commanded us to do it." Say, "GOD never advocates sin. Are you saying about GOD what you do not know?"

[7:29] Say, "My Lord advocates justice, and to stand devoted to Him alone at every place of worship. You shall devote your worship absolutely to Him alone. Just as He initiated you, you will ultimately go back to Him."

April 26, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • Reality

Saving Muslims like Muneef is quite easy!!!

The Five Steps To Deprogram 1400 Years of Islamic Myths:

( –The Steps take less than two minutes to finish- simply amazing, two minutes to bring peace and rationality to over one billion lost souls- Priceless!!!)

Are you ready?

Using "The 77 Branches of Islamic "faith" a collection compiled by Imam Bayhaqi as a starting point. In it, he explains the essential virtues that reflect true "faith" (iman) through related Qur’anic verses and Prophetic sayings." i.e. a nice summary of the Koran and Islamic beliefs.

The First Five of the 77 Branches:

"1. Belief in Allah"

aka as God, Yahweh, Zeus, Jehovah, Mother Nature, etc. should be added to your cleansing neurons.

"2. To believe that everything other than Allah was non-existent. Thereafter, Allah Most High created these things and subsequently they came into existence."

Evolution and the Big Bang or the "Gi-b G-nab" (when the universe starts to recycle) are more plausible and the "akas" for Allah should be included if you continue to be a "crea-tionist".

"3. To believe in the existence of angels."

A major item for neuron cleansing. Angels/de-vils are the mythical creations of ancient civilizations, e.g. Hitt-ites, to explain/define natural events, contacts with their gods, big birds, sudden winds, protectors during the dark nights, etc. No "pretty/ug-ly wingy thingies" ever visited or talked to Mohammed, Jesus, Mary or Joseph or Joe Smith. Today we would classify angels as f–airies and "tin–ker be-lls". Modern de-vils are classified as the de-mons of the de-mented.

"4. To believe that all the heavenly books that were sent to the different prophets are true. However, apart from the Quran, all other books are not valid anymore."

Another major item to delete. There are no books written in the spirit state of Heaven (if there is one) just as there are no angels to write/publish/distribute them. The Koran, OT, NT etc. are simply books written by humans for humans.

Prophets were invented by ancient scribes typically to keep the un-educated masses in line. Today we call them for-tune tellers.

Prophecies are also invali-dated by the natural/God/Allah gifts of Free Will and Future.

"5. To believe that all the prophets are true. However, we are commanded to follow the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) alone."

Mohammed spent thirty days "fasting" (the Ramadan legend) in a hot cave before his first contact with Allah aka God etc. via a "pretty wingy thingy". Common sense demands a neuron deletion of #5. #5 is also the major source of Islamic vi-olence i.e. turning Mohammed's "fast, hunger-driven" hallu-cinations into horrible reality for unbelievers.
      Walk these Five Steps and we guarantee a complete recovery from your Islamic ways!!!!

Unfortunately, there are not many Muslim commentators/readers on this blog so the "two-minute" cure is not getting to those who need it. If you have a Muslim friend, send him a copy and help save the world.

Analogous steps are available at your request for deprogramming the myths of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Paganism .

April 26, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
  3. Alex

Nooooo, may 21 is my bday... and I will be in Paris celebrating it. Couldn't God choose another day? Or am I blessed? Anyway, I will eat a pasta on behalf of all the pastafarians out there. RAmen to all!

April 26, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
  4. sixnutt

I always say, "Don't sweat the petty things, but don't pet them sweaty things!"

April 26, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  5. Amalia Sheran Sharm

Christians have been putting their garbage up on billboards around the country for decades, yet CNN only raises a stink when an atheist does it.

April 26, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  6. sixnutt

Time for useful reasoning around these parts – like I always say, "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!"

April 26, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  7. Artist

Crucified, I predict that you will see a rabbit in the clouds in the future. Once you see this you will know I am correct and the truth. No one else can do this...I am unique.

April 26, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  8. crucified

YOU are not playing mario brothers if you choose wrong in this..you cannot press reset. GAME OVER!

April 26, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • Artist

Wow, I almost peed my pants....dont scare me like that. I would never worship your made up god anyway. Its a no brainer. Also if a person chooses based on odds or fear, then they never believed anyway.

April 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • Artist

Lycidas

"The jews stole other religions.."

That's a lie isn't it. And plz don't try the whole fallacy of correlation. It's rather old and shown to be wrong.

Perhaps stole is a strong word....borrowed aspects of it. They werent the first on the scene.

April 26, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • Ihaveabridgetosellyou

@artist . No. the Jews and the Christians flat out copied most of the Egyptian religion word for word. Even Justin Martyr admitted. His answer was that the devil placed all those previous religions to confuse everyone.

April 26, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
  9. Ihaveabridgetosellyou

I am the son of God. I am known as the as the Alpha and the Omega, Lamb of God, etc. I was born December 25th. Crucified and was resurrected three days later. can you guess who I am? Thats right, I'm Horus, son of Osirus. I pre-date Christianity by 1500 years and have returned to set the record straight. Seems some sheep herders stole all my stories and I want to make it very clear that I have nothing to do with this nonsense.
    Sincerely Yours,
    the ancient egyptions
    aka. pagans

April 26, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Artist

The jews stole other religions and the christie's stole the jews ideas. Christianity will have its day in the mythical section.

April 26, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • Artist

Isaiah prophecy
      One nice thing is we are able to twist our perception to fit a prophecy. I can say that the United States will crumble and fall. Give enough thousands of years it is bound to happen.

Israel is not a true nation of its own nor could it stand on its own. It acts more like a parasite that the host (US and UN sustain it) Take away the religious loyalty and it would soon crumble.

You leave a pro ph ecy va g ue enough, at some point something fits the bill. We will see a horse head in the clouds.....wait long enough every day and it will come to pass....and then I am prop hetic.

My god people can really ber igno rant...mind blowing in fact.

April 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
    • crucified

I guess you never heard of the 6 day war....

April 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • Lycidas

"The jews stole other religions.."

April 26, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  10. Charles

I am sick of all of the religious gang banging going on in the world. We give far too much credibility to a bunch of nonsense. There are more important real life things to focus on other than religion, spirituality and mysticism. Our world is in turmoil. Stop wishing or praying for a better world. Do something concrete to make our world a better place. Examine the real issues that affect real people and take a stance rather than having silly arguments using passages from religious books. Think for yourselves. It is not impossible.

April 26, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  11. Robert

Even with the beast upon us. I still believe that there is life after death. so get on your knees and pray to Jesus for salvation. because even if you are killed for not bowing down. Isn't there still a chance of life after death??? but maybe we live in the time period where many men will seek death but none will find it. Then if that is true.... how do we escape this nightmare???

April 26, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Robert wrote: " I still believe that there is life after death. "

Yes, after you die, your body will survive inside the maggots that will eat your flesh...

April 27, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  12. David

Jesus is coming back!! I cannot wait. Today is the day of Salvation. Receive Him as Your Savior today.

April 26, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Jesusfreaker

There is a shortcut if you can't wait, but I wouldn't recommend it.

April 26, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • crucified

@jesusfreaker that was mean and evil to say.. way to show the kind side of atheism.

April 26, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • jimtanker

@ crucified

You should be happy when people dle. They are getting what they want arent they? You should be incouraging it, not saying that it's mean.

April 27, 2011 at 4:35 am |
  13. Steve (the real one)

Jesusfreaker
    I will never understood why people say grace. It's like saying thanks to God for chosing to give you the food rather than giving it to those who will eventually starve to death. What about those who pray and still starve to death? God's plan?
    We pray because we are thankful! Correct me if you think I am wrong but why do I have this feeling that those who complain about Christians do little for anyone else? I read where nonbelievers complain that Christains ti-the and not give it to the poor. Today the story about if Christian should have big weddings. Is it just me or does all this sound very liberal and so much like socialism?

April 26, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • BR

I'll never understand what sets off the m0d&r@tors.

April 26, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • BR

I guess "Steve (the real one) has the m 0 d's ear. Two posts in limbo.

@Steve (the real one) – You say that "have this feeling that those who complain about Xtians do little for anyone else" but just as with all other religious claims you stop there and fail to provide any evidence.

April 26, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Jesusfreaker

You are thanking God for chosing you over another person. God blesses you while she allows another person to rot.

April 26, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • bob

hey steve are you a racist rightwing republican naz-tea party supporter who hates your black brother because he is the president? you sure do sound like a hater with all of your talk about liberalisim and socialism. I'll bet you proclaim to be a God fearing loving Christian

April 26, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • bob

hey steve (the real one) are you a racist rightwing republican naz-tea party supporter who hates your black brother because he is the president? you sure do sound like a hater with all of your talk about liberalisim and socialism. I'll bet you proclaim to be a God fearing loving Christian

April 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

bob

-----–
      Althought your rant merits no response, here we go...
      1. You brought up race and I'm the racist? How does that work?
      2. What I said was telling people what to do with THEIR resources, sounds like.....!
      3. I said nothing about hating anyone. READ what was written.
      4. Why are you so offended? No one brought race into this issue except for you.
      5. Why do you assume to know what my nationality/race is anyway? Do you know? Did you bother to ask?
      6. Conclusion jumpng is NOT a sport!

April 27, 2011 at 9:48 am |
    • Steve (the real one)

Jesusfreaker
      -----
      Believe want you want. Even if I told you otherwise , you would not believe it so why bother?

April 27, 2011 at 9:55 am |
  14. Robert

The image of the beast has already been given life. if you don't bow down folks. you will be killed

April 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  15. Lubiana

This billboard fufills prophecy:
    2nd Peter 3 and 4:
    3 Most importantly, I want to remind you that in the last days scoffers will come, mocking the truth and following their own desires. 4 They will say, “What happened to the promise that Jesus is coming again? From before the times of our ancestors, everything has remained the same since the world was first created.”

April 26, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • Jesusfreaker

My isn't it convenient that they threw that verse in there. BTW 2nd Peter is pseudepigraphical, meaning that the person who wrote it isn't who he claims to be. It wasn't Peter. Apparently folks were doubting the religion because there was know sign of Christ returning. They put this into the canon to ward off the naysayers.

April 26, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • BR

Like the billboard says...those claims have been going on for 2000 years and during all that time there have been the scoffers, etc. you mention. Thousands of predictions have been wrong including those of the apostles themselves. Even if, somehow, this latest prediction comes true...it only means that out of thousands of guesses...they guessed right.

April 26, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • crucified

@jesusfreaker actually peter is canon... that is why it is in the Protestant bible! the Pseudos are other Christian writtings outside Canon..

April 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  16. Robert

isn't it in the Bible that an angel of the Lord would blow the trumpet?? not some organization who claims to be commanded by God.

April 26, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  17. Artist

Interesting how people trust a book that was written soley on hearsay. People praise their savior and when something bad happens it was his plan. When something good goes their way it is a miracle or message from their god. A woman wins a small lottery ticket and praises their god that this will get her though the next paycheck. A small child is brutally ra ped for days then slowly strangled. Some say we can be victims of freewill. A man prays to his god so his best sports team wins. An old dirty man looks to the sky and ides as rats have already started to eat him. An infant dies as it falls into a pool. A woman finds $50 on the ground and looks up into the sky and smiles. A school catches fire and some children die quickly while other are still alive as they catch fire.

Pray and hope your god favors you over someone else.

April 26, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Jesusfreaker

What about those who pray and still starve to death? God's plan?

April 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Jesusfreaker

edit: understand

April 26, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • Artist

Jesusfreaker

What about those who pray and still starve to death? God's plan?

---

Bingo. Pray b!t ch and hope he hears you. If not, you could be that person ra ped and then slowly ki l led. You could be that person stuck in a house fire and smell you fl e sh burning and your nerves scr eam ing until the fire burns enough through to ki ll the ends. Or you could be the person walking down the road and str uc k and turned into an instant retar d.

April 26, 2011 at 4:41 pm |