home
RSS
April 25th, 2011

Billboard battle over Judgment Day

(CNN) - We've told you about the caravan of RVs touring the country to warn people about the end of the world, which they say will begin on May 21.

Now, the American Atheists are mounting a counter-campaign.

The group has posted a billboard in Oakland, California - home to Family Radio, which is spreading the "awesome news" that Judgment Day is near - declaring that such messages are "nonsense."

"The Rapture: You KNOW it's Nonsense," the American Atheists' billboard announces. "2000 Years of 'Any Day Now.'"

The billboard - which cost $27,000, according to the group's website - invites passers-by to "Learn the Truth" at the group's "Rapture Party" on May 21-22 in Oakland.

The atheists also plan to hold parties in Houston, Texas, and Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the website says.

"This is how religion hurts people, one of the many ways religion hurts people," American Atheists President David Silverman told CNN Oakland, California, affiliate KGO.

"Our hope is that those who are not suckered in will learn from the people who are."

Read the full story at KGO's website.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Death • End times

soundoff (2,436 Responses)
  1. UltraAtheist

How do they know it's the rapture will take 90 minutes?

April 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The rapture doctrine is man made. Jesus comes back to earth, not that we meet him in the air... it means we ALL will be in our spiritual form when we all get to see Him again.

Amen.

April 25, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  2. Jim

It is very sad that only a few truly, TRULY listened to what Jesus had to say, or to Buddha's teachings, or any of the many other brilliant light beings, whose true Soul Purpose on our amazing planet was to try and help us on our Soul Journeys to complete enlightenment. Good luck to all as your journey is YOUR journey, no one else's, period.

April 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  3. Ed

its funny the article is about something an atiest group did but the athiest are discussing it like the christians did and the disagree with it.

April 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  4. AfterImage

Sigh, silly people and their imaginary friends. It's a shame they spent so much time, energy and money on these crazy endevores. Instead of helping people or "the planet", they dance around waiting for the end of the world. And for you religious nut-jobs thinkingn the Atheists are just picking on you again, consider this... The truth never hurt anyone... unless a lie got their first.

April 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • HeavenSent

You non-believers wouldn't even know about Charity if Jesus didn't explain it to everyone in His written word, the Bible.

Amen.

April 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • BR

@HeavenSent-Right...because charity didn't exist for the 10,000 years of human existence prior to his story.

April 25, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • Stevie7

Also, Buddhist and Hindus are incapable of charity.

April 25, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • AfterImage

HeavenSent- Thank you for confirming our deepest convictions that all religious types are ignorant and bat-poop crazy.

April 25, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  5. Chanselor Jenkins

Colin, I am amused by you. In your own mind you believe you have all the answers. So tell us is it easier to believe humanity is an accident than to believe it is of intellegent design? Oh yes, and tell me are you from Colorado?

April 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Nicolae

Well, if there was a "big bang" who lit the fuse?

April 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Colin

Ah Chanselor my old friend. Ok, if you prefer, I am from Colorado.

To your (non-geographic) point, no atheist thinks "it all happened by accident." We know it happend over 13.4 billion years through cosmic and terrestrial evolution.

April 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Pondering

So Colin, if we evolved from Apes, why are there still apes?

April 25, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • CW

@ Colin,

Ah...once again someone who is blind to everything unless they have that "prove it" evidence. So you rely on "science" ehh? If you rely on this you will also know that there are mounds upon mounds of "science" and history that support not only Jesus's journey on this earth but also many other items wrote about in the Bible.

April 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Stevie7

Intelligent Design? Would that be the same "intelligence" that bestowed upon us an appendix which provides marginal benefit, is in no way necessary ... and kills? Is this the same "intelligence" that has made us horrifically energy inefficient?

April 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • HeavenSent

That evolution lie is so very important to satan so he can separate man/woman from God and hence, not knowing their heritage.

Amen.

April 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Floyd

@Colin said, “We know it happend over 13.4 billion years through cosmic and terrestrial evolution.”
      I’m gonna have to call you on that absolute knowledge dude. You still cannot answer the question, but don’t feel bad. No one can. The faithful believe something started it all.

April 25, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • BR

@Pondering-If Rock and Roll evolved from Jazz and Blues…why is there still jazz and blues?

@CW-Not so much. There is scant corroboration that Xtianity may have been founded on a person that existed...very scant Much of that evidence is contestable and some, such as the passage in Joseph, is generally agreed by historians as being added later…Ie. Falsified. And just because a few things in the bible map to real events recorded outside the bible, corroborates nothing except those specific facts. Put them all together and it still does not get you to a reliable picture of who the Jesus character was historically.

April 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

Yes without a doubt.

'Pondering – So Colin, if we evolved from Apes, why are there still apes?'
      Seriously? you actually asked this question?. Ok for starters we did not evolve from apes, we share common ancestor. Secondly why do you think that all animals would evolve the same way? One of the final clinchers for Darwin was when he discovered finches had evolved differently on different islands to suit their surroundings.
      And BR, I love your answer.

'you will also know that there are mounds upon mounds of "science" and history that support not only Jesus's journey on this earth but also many other items wrote about in the Bible.'
      Actually, no there isnt, though I would love to see your 'facts' backing that up.

April 25, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Manma DeReli Gon

And here it is right here.... the Atheist here are hitting all the nails on the head as far as what all religions say, but the religious are fighting against something they have not taken the time to understand... ok so one more time.... Evolution does NOT say we evolved from Apes.... you have to get that right dude.

April 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • Ihaveabridgetosellyou

Justin Martyr, an early christian defender even admitted that he couldn't prove that Jesus existed and said it was no different to believing in the stories that came before him. How do you explain that?

April 25, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • BR

@Cedar Rapids-Thanks!
      BTW...I intended to write JosephUS as being contested. So many theist claims to swat down that I posted before proofreading.

April 25, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
  6. socrateze

History is written by the winners of wars. How has Christianity spread? Learn about other religions, the so called"pagans": Quit accepting what "they" tell you to believe in. Learn for yourself. Try reading some of the gnostic texts, and read some other culture's creation stories. YOU REALLY THINK WE ARE ALONE IN THIS UNIVERSE?

April 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Jeremiah 2:11-13

11 Hath a nation changed their gods, which are yet no gods? but my people have changed their glory for that which doth not profit.
      12 Be astonished, O ye heavens, at this, and be horribly afraid, be ye very desolate, saith the Lord.
      13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns [water reservoirs], broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

Amen.

April 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • YeahRight

Jeremiah was a bullfrog, he was good friend of mine.
      I never understood a single word he said but I helped him drink
      his whine. He always had some mighty fine wine. Sing it Joy to the
      world...all the boys and girls now , joy to the fishies in the deep blue
      sea and joy to you and me.

And if i were the king of the world , i tell you what i would do. Id throw
      away the cars and the bars in the world and id make sweet love to you.
      Sing it now : Joy the the world , all the boys and girls , joy to the fishies
      in the deep blue sea , joy to you and me.

Yah know I love the ladies , love to have my fun ... Im a hard knock
      flyer and a rain bow rider ... a strait shootin son of a gun , i said a
      strait shootin sun of a gun.

Joy to the world , all the boys and girls , joy to all the fishies in the
      deep blue sea , joy to you and me.

Joy to the world , all the boys and girls , joy to the world joy to you
      and me

Joy to the world , all the boys and girls , joy to the fishies in the deep
      blue sea joy to you and me.

Joy the the world , all the boys and girls , joy to the world , joy to you
      and me.

Joy to the world , all the boys and girls , joy to the world , joy to you
      and me.

April 25, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  7. Gr8isHE

Christine, the bible tells us when Jesus returns we will all know who he is, all the people of the earth will mourn when they see the son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory, you will hear loud trumpets and just as you see the sun/moon in the sky, you will see Jesus descend from heaven and EVERY KNEE will bow and acknowledge who he is. Unfortunately for those who did not believe until then, it will be too late, which is why God isn't slow in keeping his promise to send his son back as we understand slowness – he is patient with you – not wanting anyone to be destroyed but he wants all people to turn away from their sin of unbelief and believe in his son before it is too late.

April 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Nicolae

Isn't he Obama?

April 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Gr8isHE

..or I should say – too late at that time but there is still the tribulation. This is how much God loves you – he still gives unbelievers and opportunity to believe after the rapture. Those who are left behind and will have to endure the terrible things that will come will still have an opportunity to believe the but sad part is...because this has also been prophesied...some still won't believe. Don't be one of them.

April 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Stevie7

Why would an unconditionally loving god only invite into the clubhouse those that believe in him. Why would an unconditionally loving god condemn those that don't believe to an eternity of pain and suffering.

April 25, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Maybe...

...ecause he doesn't want a bunch of chronic whiners and complainers in heaven.

April 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Ihaveabridgetosellyou

Wow, I sometimes forget that this is the twenty first century sometimes... Horns, clouds, and bowing? Sounds like an alien invasion to me.

April 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • Gr8isHE

Stevie7, this is difficult for us to grasp since we are sinful human beings. God is loving, kind & merciful but he is most of all holy & righteous. He can not tolerate sin because he is so holy. God IS love but he hates sin. If you continue to sin even when he has given you chance after chance to repent, then you suffer the consequences of your decision to live in sin. Just as when you give your child chance after chance to come clean when telling a lie and he/she chooses not to, they suffer the consequence of the lie. Not that you don't love them or that you are cruel but you've given them an opportunity to make it right and they chose not to so they have to learn there are consequences to their actions. God (our Father) disciplines us as we discipline our children here on earth only he is much more wise and holy. God loves us and wants us to be saved from hell but because he is also just and righteous, he can't allow our un-repentant sin to go unpunished. As we would not allow our children's disobedience and disrespect to go unpunished (their unrepentant behavior)...we discipline out of love – just as God does.

April 26, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • Gr8isHE

Ihaveabridgetosellyou,

I don't expect you to understand right now because these things are spiritually discerning, but you will. My prayer is that you will come to understand sooner rather than later.

April 26, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  8. Beth

I'm not an extremely religious person, but I'm not anti-religion. I do know enough to realize that some humans are conceited, self-absorbed, know-it-alls. Anyone, who claims to KNOW that God does or doesn't exist, is full of themselves and trying to impose their life experiences on other people. Belief is free. One thing that can be agreed upon, is that we are free to believe (or not) in the way that best fits our lives. Those who believe in God, know that we were given that freedom; those who don't believe in God, believe as they will. Those who try to push their belief (or lack thereof) on others strike me as angry, ineffectual people who want to control others. I agree with blah9999 on this.

April 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • BR

@Beth-Extraordinarily few atheists will claim that they ‘know’ God does not exist. We just acknowledge that there is no well demonstrated reason to accept the claims of the existence of any deity. If you check your receipt and count your change at the grocery store, you deserve at least as much assurance from the cosmos. You betray your true feelings when you write, “Those who believe in God KNOW that we were given that freedom; those who don't believe in God, BELIEVE as they will.” [emphasis mine] So theists ‘know’ but atheists simply ‘believe’?

April 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  9. Mike

I observe the formation of a new non-profit religion, athiesm, structured like any other organized religion prepared to do as much "good & bad" as any other organized religion. Starting to look like the pot & kettle thing to me. It is an individual choice, and when/if "the time" comes you can only have "faith" that you've made the right choice.

April 25, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • HeavenSent

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16

Amen.

April 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Good Atheist

I believe the definition of "religion" is a group of people who worship a deity. Atheists clearly do not worship an adult version of santa.

April 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Nicolae

@Good Athiest – religion is interchangeably used with a faith or belief system. Athiesm is a belief system 'preaching' that God doesn't exist. Seems to me the public birth of the 'athiest religious movement' might be borne out of a need for acceptance, from those who do believe in God. Why is that?

April 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Good Atheist

Nicolae,
      You are wrong. Religion requires a suspension of rational thought to accept and embrace its doctrines. Atheism believes in scientific fact and rational, logical thought and practices. The difference is the whole "faith" thing.

April 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Stevie7

If atheism is a belief system, then so is not believing in the tooth fairy. And my favorite hobby is not collecting stamps

April 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Barter_Town

@ HeavenSent

I have a problem with a religion that considers human sacrifice a good thing.

April 25, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  10. Mike

I'm a believer in the Living God, Jesus Christ. I am sickened and saddened that these people are prophesying a "Judgement Day". The Bible clearly states that man does not know, nor the Son of Man know, the time of this event. People like this are destroying the testimony of Jesus Christ. They will turn more people away from God and they will answer dearly for it (and yes that is Biblical too).

April 25, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Matthew 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Matthew 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no [man], no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Amen.

April 25, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • FifthApe

Mike – the bible is just myths and some mighty nasty ones at that. Think critically for just one moment about say.... Exodus 21 and ask yourself... "are these the words of the creator of the universe as we know it".

April 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Ihaveabridgetosellyou

Its just a clever way to keep scared for the rest of their lives. Nothing more.

April 25, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • CW

@ FifthApe,

You point to Exodus 21 ehh? Well lets talk about it. You have to remember that during this time it was like how most non believers want things to be now...NO RULES NO RELIGION...JUST DO WHAT MAKES YOU "FEEL" GOOD...God was trying to establish some moral laws in the way the Israelites lived so that they 1...would follow God in obedience and 2...have some rules to follow for their society.

Also ask yourself..."how do you know they were not the words of God to Moses?" Don't think you are I can prove our points....so I will say that I will rely on Faith alone.

April 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • John Holroyd (Pronounced John Holroyd)

OK Mike. So which Bible is that? I get confused. The bible is supposed to be the word of God. Are they all the word of God? Why can't they have a version that starts out "This Bible has been vetted and approved by God."

April 25, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
    • Ryan Richardson

uh I have something to say to Ihaveabridgetosellyou
      You say Religion is something to keep you scared for the rest of your life and you are wrong. I'm not Religious but I am a Christian, I try everyday to get closer to GOD and seek his Face. Religion get's people in trouble but being a Believer in Christ don't. But anyway you say that it just "scares us for the rest of our life". In fact I'm not scared at all of Death, when I die I will see my Lords face and if I'm lucky I will atleast be able to kiss his feet, IF I:"M LUCKY! Nobody deserves to be able to look at the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ, he is Holy and the King of Kings. But you say we live in Fear. Yes I did at one time every single day of my Life, but when I went from a Damned Sinner going straight to Hell to a Born Again Sinner entering the Kingdom of Heaven. It changed me and caused me to have no fear, but excited to die.
      I feel for people like you who are scared to die and not saved. But the Day I die on Earth will be the day that I LIVE AGAIN IN HEAVEN WITH MY LORD, So while people are grieving I'll be Rejoicing in Heaven. While people are burning in Hell, again I'll be rejoicing in Heaven with my Lord and Savior. Thank you Jesus for Saving my Soul and allowing me to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. I pray for each and every person who don't feel this way. I Pray that Jesus enters your Heart and you accept him, GOD BLESS!

May 3, 2011 at 11:07 am |
  11. Tyler V

Alverant, actually secular atheists are statistically FAR more likely to kill you. They killed more people in the 20th and 21st centuries alone than all religious conflicts in the past 20 centuries combined.

April 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Colin

Oh the whole Starlin, Hitler Mao thing again. Yawn. None of them dd what they did becuase they were atheists. They were political idologues. Any atheist standing i ntheir way was killed.

April 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • Good Atheist

I'd love to know where you get your numbers from.

April 25, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • Stevie7

And Hitler was Catholic.

April 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • MichaelW

Where did you pull that "fact" from? I bet it's dark and stinky!

April 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • BR

Been listening to O'Riley and Beck have we? Bloody....yes, but not bloody historically accurate.

April 25, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Maryann

How about this: You are making up those statistics. I though lying was a sin.

April 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Floyd

Stevie7 – Hitler left Catholicism. He was not religious when he grew up and rejected it. Maybe that was the problem.

April 25, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Ihaveabridgetosellyou

the thing you fail to mention is that these communist leaders replaced the traditional religious symbols and in place put statues and paintings of themselves all over the place thus creating a state sponsored religion. Look at North Korea and see how those people pray to the Great Leader. So your point is moot.

April 25, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • BR

@Floyd-Hitler never renounced his faith and continually cited divine providence in his aims. But he doesn't matter so much...what about the thousands and thousands of good Catholic and Luthern soldiers and commanders? He didn't hold a weapon to each and every one of their heads.

April 25, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Joe

WHy is everybody saying the world is going to end NEXT month what happened to 2012? I was looking forward to poping some popcorn and watching the panic man THAT SUCKS...

April 25, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
  12. Colin

At some point, you have to admire the honesty of the poor simpletons. At least they put up and exposed their belief to proof or disproof.

This is more than all the nuts on this blog claiming "the end is coming but we don't know when". That belief is everybit as silly as theirs, but just immuned from disproof.

April 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • blah9999

And anyone that doesn't believe that the end is coming is just ignorant. The sun will blow up some day, millions of years from now. After that, there will be no more existence on this planet. Some would call that "the end"

April 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Colin

True, as science once again proves its superiority over religion. The one true "the end of the World is coming" prediction and it is science that gets it right. Can you imagine how aany religion would love to have the ability to predict that science has.

April 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Ihaveabridgetosellyou

You mean billions of years from now. And we will all be dead by then, I can guarantee you that.

April 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Ron

I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that on May 22nd their belief system will still be intact....only modified to explain the error of their previous thinking.

April 25, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  13. RP

Jesus is coming. Look busy

April 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Tom G

You, sir, win at Comments.

April 25, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • A

Damn, he gets my vote for best comment too. Wish I'd thought of it!

April 25, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
  14. Ihaveabridgetosellyou

Funny, you travel anywhere around the country and there are thousands of churches and billboards and religious symbols all around, but if you see a few billboards have atheist messages on them, religious people want to take out the pitchforks and burn someone on the stake. This is exactly the the point the atheists are trying to make. If your beliefs are so strong, why feel threatened?

April 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Good Atheist

Thank you, brother!

April 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • blah9999

Both "billboard" groups are extreme. And both very close minded

April 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • Ihaveabridgetosellyou

How is the atheist billboard extreme? Its says the its nonsense to believe that the worlds is going to end because a 2000 year old book says so? Show me where it says that May 21st 2011 is the end of days.

April 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • BR

It's extremely insightful and lucid, honest, testable, rational, funny...

@blah9999....oh...that's probably not what you meant, huh? 😉

April 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • blah9999

I feel like anyone that forces a religious belief on someone is extreme. Atheists that put this board up are forcing their beliefs on people that see it, just like the people that put up that the end of times is coming. Both are close minded. It's like the people that put down others that don't believe in one thing or the other (atheists and christians) because they believe in something they don't. That's wrong. It's about time that EVERYone gets along

April 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Ihaveabridgetosellyou

Wrong. You don't see atheists knocking on peoples door Sunday morning trying to convert people into Darwinism. Nor do you see them burning Korans in Florida, or protest at servicemens funerals saying that god hates everybody. If anyone who's pushing their extreme views its the christians by pushing fear into peoples hearts. the atheists put up that message to counter the fear message the the christians were pushing by stating that is is nonsense. And it is nonsense.

April 25, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • BR

@ blah9999-Atheism isn’t a religious belief. It is a rejection of religious claims. The only thing this billboard is ‘forcing people’ to do is to consider the merit of the caravan’s claims and it factually points to the recurrence of these claims for the past 2000 years. As long as religion exists, extremists like the end-of-days people will exist and the only rational thing to do is to point out baseless claims wherever they may lie.

April 25, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • skytag

blah9999: Nonsense. Atheists aren't forcing their beliefs on anyone. It tends to be religions who force their beliefs on others through laws.

April 25, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • Ryan Richardson

What's happened to America and her Morals? You people are sick and its sad to see the way you guys act. You don't have to believe that GOD IS REAL! He Loves you and wants to see you enter the Kingdom of Heaven, that's why he sent his only begotten son, not to condem the World but to save the World John 3:17. I'll Pray for each and every one of you, I feel for your Souls. Because unless you get Saved by the Blood of Jesus you will Burn all Eternity in Hell. We Christians love you so much that we Pray for you, were full of Love while your full of Hate. I know that some Christians are not what they claim to be for they are Wolves in Sheeps clothing. But I promise you that GOD is REAL and Jesus is REAL!! We need GOD back in America so bad it's not even funny. I won't give up untill GOD is brought back into America. I will keep trying intill I'm dead or I suceed.... GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!

May 3, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  15. LadyT

Ghandi once said "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians, for they are so UNLIKE your Christ".....So many of the so called "Christians" in this country don't even truly understand the bible, let alone live by it. Why do I have to live in fear because millions of crazy religious people want everyone to BELIEVE that the rapture is coming.....so idiotic!

April 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  16. Dave

Can we do one in Seattle? The party part?

April 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  17. Brian

I'm actually still waiting for the next sign to be printed that says "April Fool's!!!!!!!"

April 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  18. DJ

It is sad to see all the ignorant comments on here. Have none of you ever gone to Sunday school or read the Bible?

April 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • Dave

I did, that's the problem.

April 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • Juni

Yes, I did both. And they made me realize that it's bunk and hokum.

April 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Good Atheist

Yes, I have and I found the story that I am a sinner because 6000 years ago a magical talking snake tricked someone into eating an apple too ludicrious to believe. I thought you had your day on Zombie Jesus day, or as you call it, Easter.

April 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • FifthApe

The bible is complete rubbish. Have you read it?

April 25, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Geoz

Yes... it is only information I lack. If only we knew what you knew, I could be an un-ignorant person such as yourself.

I've read the bible. I went to so called Christian churches for years and years. Now, I'd rather devote time on Sunday to my family.

April 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • BR

@DJ
      The real question is, did you really pay attention when you read the bible? Or did you just retain the parts they taught in Sunday school?

April 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Maryann

12 years of Catholic school, and within 2 years of HS graduation, and a lot of investigating, I realized what a waste of money that was for my parents.

The bible is just like Grimm's Fairy Tales, except that it's ruins people's lives, skews their view of the world, and causes war and hatred among humans. Religion is the worst thing going on in the world right now. The WORST.

April 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Bob

GoodAthesist: yes, that would be ludicrous. But that's not what the Bible says. What happened log ago gave mankind the inevitable tendency to sin. Everyone who has not kept God's laws perfectly (which means everyone) is a sinner because of what they have done, not because of what someone else did long ago.

April 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Barter_Town

Actually, the ignorance would be on the side of Christians. The Bible is a collection of Bronze Age fictional tales and fantastical claims written by people who weren't even present at the time of these supposed events. There is no good reason to believe any of it.

April 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Tom G

Yes, I was raised Catholic but at age 12 it was all just too ridiculous to continue pretending that I believed in it. I asked my mother, a Catholic grade school teacher, if it was OK if I stopped going to church and studying the Bible. When she asked me why, I explained that it all seemed made up and that religion seems to make people treat each other worse, not better. She respected my beliefs and obliged. I still study religions of the world and spirituality in general, because I find it fascinating, but religious dogma, including the Bible, is all created by man. There is simply nothing divine about any of it.

April 25, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Manma DeReli Gon

Yes, 11 years of catechism, read the bible cover to cover 3x. I guess, I forgot to turn the power to reason off, so after a while it started to sound ridiculous.

April 25, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

'But that's not what the Bible says'
      Really? sounds a pretty good summation to me. God creates a couple of people, puts them in a garden, for some reason puts a forbidden tree in there as well and then says now dont eat that. So why put the tree there? why does he act all surprised when he discovers they ate from it? Surely if you try to claim that was his plan all along its at least entrapment. and why introduce the idea of sin in the first place? for what possible purpose would he create a system that ran in such a way? Was he bored or something?

April 25, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • skytag

Yes and yes, and now I'm an atheist. What's your point?

April 25, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • Joe

Nope never wanted to waste MY time on that drivel.

April 25, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  19. hmmmmm

There is no such thing as a rapture. It's a man made doctrine. However, many people accept this as true. Do not become a victom of "Propaganda!"
    Why would God rapture "his people" up when he never did in any biblical reference where he saved his people. He gave his people certain direction to protect them.
    When he delivered the Israelites out of Egypt. Or when he told Noah to build the Ark. Everyone thought Noah was crazy, but what happened to all the people who thought Noah was crazy? They lost their lives. Etc. This will be the same when the Great Tribulation arrives. He will give his people distinct direction and other's will lose their lives as well.

Afterlife, The trinity doctire, Hell Fire, are all man made doctrines that originated in Ancient Babylon. Yet, all of these doctrines can be traced in churches today, but yet they just throw Jesus in there along the line to make it seem ok to do so and Chrisitan. –

April 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Bob

The afterlife, the trinity, and hell fire, were all taught by Jesus.

April 25, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  20. Colin in Florida

I recently ran into this caravan of people (the ones proclaiming that the rapture will come May 21, and the Earth will end on October 21) at our local Costco. My question is: If the end really is near, why not shop at a regular retail store and just charge everything? You won't have to pay anything, if you are right.......

April 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Henkv

What do you think the US government is doing?

April 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm |