home
RSS
April 27th, 2011

Pope John Paul II's blood to be shown at beatification

By Hada Messia and Richard Allen Greene, CNN

(CNN) - Blood taken from the late Pope John Paul II will be used Sunday as the Vatican declares him "blessed," the last step before sainthood, the Catholic Church announced.

The blood will be on display as a relic for Catholic faithful to venerate at the beatification ceremony, the Vatican said this week.

Special relic holders have been made for two small glass bottles of John Paul's blood, the church said.

Pope Benedict XVI will preside Sunday over the beatification at St. Peter's, an event expected to draw hundreds of thousands of Catholic faithful to Rome.

Benedict ruled that his predecessor should be beatified after a nun suffering from Parkinson's disease said she was cured after sisters in her order prayed to John Paul II.

Doctors took the from the pope before he died in 2005, the Vatican said in a statement Monday.

Medical staff wanted it for possible transfusions during what turned out to be the pope's final illness, but John Paul died without using it, the church said.

The blood was divided into four small bottles, two of which were kept by John Paul's secretary Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz and two of which remained at the Bambino Gesu hospital in Rome, the Vatican said.

One of the hospital's ampules will be on display on Sunday and will then enter the Vatican's "sacrarium," while the other will stay at the hospital.

The blood is still liquid because doctors added anti-coagulents to it when it was taken.

The Catholic tradition of venerating saints' physical remains - known as relics - dates back to the earliest days of the church.

With the beatification Sunday, John Paul II will not become a saint, but will be one step below it, and will be known as the Blessed John Paul II. The Vatican would have to credit him with a second miracle for him to be declared a saint.

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Catholic Church • Christianity • Italy • Pope Benedict XVI • Pope John Paul II • Vatican

1. Marc

Sounds like idolatry to me!

April 27, 2011 at 10:33 am |
  2. Mark

What a joke these religions, but I guess people need something to occupy their time. Too bad they don't occupy their time with REASON and LOGIC and SCIENCE!

April 27, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • Catholicman

Actually, our seminarians have to get a degree in Philosophy – which I believe deals a lot with reasoning, logic, thinking and the like. And as for Science, Pope John Paul II wrote extensively on science and it's merits in the world. He just happened to state that Science comes from God as well as has all creation. Please look into what you're talking about!

April 27, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • chief

re catholicman.... he also wrote about promoting the death of tens of thousands of people in africa by denouncing all the condom efforts to reduce aids.... you know if you speak some truth and some lies.... the truth doesnt matter

April 27, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • Mark

If you start your "science" discussion saying your "science" was started by a magic man in the sky, you are NOT a scientist. Philosophy is mostly a bunch of B.S. made up by people with too much time on their hands. Just like one "philosopher can B.S. on a topic, so can I too B.S. my own B.S. on the very same topic and my B.S. would be just as valid as their B.S

April 27, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Mark, the only folks that say and believe that ridiculous assumption you posted are other non-believers. I retired from a science field and worked with more Christians than not.

I always seem to shake my head when I come on this site.

Amen.

April 27, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
    • Mark

Thanks for proving my point. Enjoy your retirement.

April 28, 2011 at 6:45 am |
  3. JJ in CT

They should have saved some of his toenail clippings as well. All hail the nail!

April 27, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • HeavenSent

JJ, that would have been funny, except that you used the toe clippings with an ending of a NAIL. Not good.

April 27, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Susan

The catholic church is a business, a corrupt business which brainwashes its followers , who brainwash their children and sacrifice them to the high priests who molest them and then shuffle the child molesters from church to church covering up their crimes. The followers of the church give money, funding the pedophiles and their immoral behaviors. The catholic church is a CULT and shame on all of you for participating in such an organization. Praying to Saints, statues and preying on children. Absolutely sickening. Im sure God is very proud of you all for following such demons...pffft

April 27, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • Catholicman

I was an altar boy for many years and was never molested. Not every priest is a pedophile. It's sad that so many were, possibly sadly still are. OTHER denominations have cases of child molestation as well. It's an epidemic of society, not just the Catholic Church. I'm sorry you harbor so much hate because the only person it has an effect on is you. I'm praying for you Susan!!

April 27, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • SeanNJ

@Catholicman: "I'll pray for you" just means "I think you're going to hell." And, presumably, you're OK with that because you continue to abide within a system that promotes that idea.

Thanks. Nobody deserves eternal torment, regardless of their "sins."

April 27, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • Catholicman

No – not really! I pray for people who are going through a rough time, I pray for people who have profound Joy in their life, I pray for people who have a blister. I pray for God's will to be done in their life. I pray for God's will to be done in my life. I pray for myself. I don't think of myself as going to hell, or at least hope I don't. But "sin," as you put it, has consequences. If I shoot someone, there is an eternal consequence, if I gossip about someone, there is an eternal consequence, if I poop on someone's car, that's funny (hopefully not a sin). Please don't tell me what my actions mean. I know what they mean because I choose to act them out. Praying for you, SeanNJ, that God's will be done in your life and that you have profound joy in all of your days!

April 27, 2011 at 10:44 am |
    • chief

re catholicman.... you know if you going to make some analogy, dont be a complete creeper..... i dont think the analogy of "pooping on someones car, and you think it funny " is an analogy that i would have ever came up with.....

April 27, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • Catholicman

that's the part you reply to...

April 27, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • chief

re catholicman... yes, i kind of magnified how really twisted you are so that people could weight your comments with those of a chimp

April 27, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Susan, are we suppose to believe words that you post are coming from a woman? I don't believe so.

Besides, read the following scriptures and learn something.

Luke 1:68-70

68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,
      69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;
      70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:

Amen.

April 27, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  5. JJ in CT

Creepy. Worshipping blood.

April 27, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  6. Susan

Hey Puppet Catholicman, the catholic church and its cult like followers dont deserve ANY respect whatsoever.

April 27, 2011 at 10:21 am |
    • Catholicman

I'll pray for you!!! That's what my puppet master told me to do – these strings are pretty tight...

I have free will! That is from God. I have the choice to believe, follow, act, say whatever I want. I choose to follow the Catholic faith. I choose to agree with it's tradition, dogma, Catechism, etc. I choose to believe in Jesus Christ. I have the ability to choose to leave that all if I want to. Nobody is forcing the Catholic "agenda" down my throat, holding me at gun point to follow in line and take orders. I pray for all non-believers and for all believers; that we may know God and follow his will. And I agree with the Holy Father's message of peace worldwide – especially on CNN.com!!!

April 27, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • Pat

No followers or worshipers in any invisible, imaginary being deserve respect. Think for yourselves and stop believing the stories you've been brainwashed to believe.

April 27, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • HeavenSent

Susan, I can't believe a woman would write what you just posted.

Amen.

April 27, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Pat, take the time to read the Bible. Especially the following scriptures.

2 Timothy 3:12-17

12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.
      13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
      14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
      15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
      16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
      17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Amen.

April 27, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  7. Catholicman

So much hate and ignorance on these responses. Respect – Please!! Veneration is profound respect or reverence. It is NOT worship, it is NOT pagan. Catholicism doesn't proclaim itself to be sola scriptura (solely from scripture). We have tradition, dogma and the like. If you don't agree or understand, please stop the disrespect. Educate yourself, agree to disagree, but don't sling slander and hate in a world filled with it. That's all – if I sound like a moron, may you all, but most importantly, God, have mercy on me.

April 27, 2011 at 10:19 am |
    • Ed

amen

April 27, 2011 at 10:22 am |
    • Up Your Rear Admiral

Ed said "git" first yesterday. Check it. He did he did he did. He went all ad hominem.

RAmen

April 27, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • Ed

@admiral,
      I'm not dealing woth you anymore your simply a waste of my time.

April 27, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • chief

you say you dont proclaim catholicism is solely from scriptures but from tradition.... your traditions are WAY PAGAN and in NO WAY are Godly....

April 27, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Ed

chief, the gospel were not writtne for 30-60 years after Chirst death and the new testament was not compiled and a whole for longer than that. Without the Bible what were the first chatolics supposed to follow if not tradition. Christ said the only way to God is through him. He did not say the only way through him is the Bible. There is far more to be a good christain than quoting scripture. As for quoting scripture don't forget Lucifer knows is scripture well but is obviously not a good christian. I not say the other churches follow Lucifer just pointing out know scripture and quoting the Bible does not make you a good christian.

April 27, 2011 at 11:18 am |
    • Up Your Rear Admiral

Ed, your little secret's safe here with us at cnn. We'd never, ever tell anyone.

April 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • Buckminster Fullerene

@Ed,
      That's fine Eddy. We all already just wince, and rapidly scroll past anything you try to write.
      (BTW, it's "you're", not your). You can't spell, you can't write a coherent sentence.You can't state a coherent thought. Your grammar is THE worst on any board on the internet.
      Yet somehow, you just keep blabbling away, preaching and pontificating, and whistling in the wind, all in bad English.
      You are amazing dude. That's fine Eddy. Everything is fine Eddy.

April 27, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Buckminster, here you go again, blaming folks for this ratty site not providing spell check. Need I mention the cancel reply never works.

Amen.

April 27, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  8. Ricardo

I have a proposal: Let´s ask John Paul II for a good miracle: The cure of 100,000 african children suffering from AIDS, or any other significant contribution to mankind. I swear I´ll go on my knees to all his beatification ceremonies...

April 27, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  9. Susan

Who the hell displays blood other than Angelina Jolie and the vatican? Catholic morons. Yeah make him a saint, worship him instead of God and continue to be the pedophile funding puppets that the vatican wants you to be.

April 27, 2011 at 10:11 am |
  10. chief

BLOOD ... how damn pagan is catholicism.....

April 27, 2011 at 10:05 am |
    • chief

exactly where in the Bible does it support this type of voodoo nonsense... you guys are really twisted.... the word cult comes to mind... you arent Christian, i wish you'd get out of the Christian camp and call yourselves something else, like...... cultists... yeah thats it

April 27, 2011 at 10:07 am |
    • Ed

@Chief we were the first chirstians our traditions pre date the new testament. The men that start or church knew Christ personal while he was alive. They were at the last supper the saw the ressurection personally. They were presecuted for their faith. Can you say any of that about the men that started your church. The Bible you read was written by these men. The traditions we follow were started by these men. You can disagree but you have not right to tell us to change. I know why the cross of St Peter hangs upside down do you. I know the name of the man Peter assigned to succeed him as the second pope do you. We follow direct apostolic succession do you?

April 27, 2011 at 10:19 am |
    • chief

re ed.... typical elitist catholic speak... i kinda doubt Jesus would think its OK to keep a display a popes blood for a tradition that he or his early followers didnt partake in.... i know greek, hebrew and an idiot when i see one.....

April 27, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • Ed

@Chief Fair enough my comment was pretty elitist sorry. I should have said it better. Yours was some what judgemental and it annoted me so I came back hard. My bad I try to behave better next time.

April 27, 2011 at 11:43 am |
    • jimtanker

Well, every christian holliday is a pagan religious holiday anyways. Easter, Christmas, all of them. The only one that isnt is Passover, and you hardly ever hear of that anyways.

April 27, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • HeavenSent

jimtanker, Passover is the highest celebration in Christianity. It was called Easter by the church fathers to bring the pagans into church to hear the truth about Jesus. Christmas is the day Jesus Christ was conceived. Again, the church fathers called it Christmas to bring the pagans into the church to hear Jesus' truth.

Amen.

April 27, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  11. JH

Wow...this is truly a sinful act by the Catholic church and against everything taught in the New Testament. All believers are saints. I'm a saint.

And the only blood that should be "venerated" is that of Jesus Christ.

I truly hope that any Catholic reading my post will go and study the BIBLE and see that they have been led astray, and worship which does not occur in the manner God has proscribed in the Bible will not be recognized by Him.

The "pope" is just a man...and even worse, a man who is leading others to sin against God.

April 27, 2011 at 10:03 am |
    • Tim

Church history: read it.
      Sound theology: read it.
      Where'd the Bible come from?
      Why have people been venerating Saints since the very very very beginning of the Church? The men who sat the feet of the Apostles and heard their preaching turned around and venerated them as martyrs for Christ.
      If it's SO CLEAR that these practices are anti-Biblical, WHY have the Roman Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, etc been doing it for 2,000 years?? Don't blindly cook up some ignorant answer, but please legitimately try to figure this out on your own.

April 27, 2011 at 10:11 am |
    • Take Off The Blinders

@Tim: Just because they've been doing it for 2000 years doesn't make it right. Try to overcome the brainwashing you've received from birth.

April 27, 2011 at 10:15 am |
    • JH

@ Tim – Jesus and the apostles didn't teach this. I really don't care what MAN did 2,000 years ago. Just because it's been going on for a long time doesn't make it right. God has always been VERY specific about how He wants to be worshipped!! Go back and look at Leviticus 😉

The Catholic church does NOT worship in the way God expects – plain and simple.

April 27, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • Tim

@Blinders
      The 'brainwashings' I received from birth was life in a Baptist church and later non-denominational Protestantism. "We're all saints, why reverence specific ones? Don't confess to a priest. Don't venerate saints or relics–it's idolatry. Roman Catholics and EO worship Mary!"<–all that ignorant nonsense.

This is me finally using my brain and READING the Bible and figuring out where it all came from. What happened between Pentecost and Martin Luther? Most American Christians couldn't tell you a single thing. It's really pathetic. When you read what the men who sat at the feet of the Apostles left us behind, as well as the New Testament itself, it becomes increasingly obvious that the early church was a) hierarchical, b) liturgical, c) sacramental and d) relied heavily on Apostolic Succession. I didn't see any of this at my church.

Of course, I think the Roman Catholic Church diverged from the One, Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church about a 1,000 years ago... but it still makes me sick to see how historically and theologically ignorant people are.

April 27, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • JH

@Tim – So are the practices of MAN more important to you than what God has given us as a rule book or what Jesus and the disciples TAUGHT? The New Testament teaches that each 'church' is autonomous and only under the oversight of elders. Men who should be the husband of one wife and have believing children 😉

April 27, 2011 at 10:54 am |
    • Tim

@JH,
      It's the MEN of the Catholic Church who gave you that "rule book," which was and always has functioned as a portion of the large body of the Christian Tradition.

Further, the Orthodox Church (which is "THE" One, Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church) has been autonomous (that's why there's Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Serbian Orthodox, etc) since day 1. The Romans were a part of it until they broke off about a thousand years ago.

April 27, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • jimtanker

You're all delusional for believing in any of this CR@P.

April 27, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • JH

@ Tim – You really need to read the Bible. Men didn't "give" me or you the Bible. It is the inspired Word of God!!

Also, the Catholic church is certainly NOT autonomous. The New Testament teaches that each LOCAL body of believers is to be separate from other bodies, with no common leader other than God and Jesus.

Please, please, please learn the Scripture before you make such ignorant comments.

April 27, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
  12. Adelina

Why does his blood need to be shown? Pointless. People should be inspired to live like the pope AND read the Bible. Sigh.

April 27, 2011 at 10:00 am |
    • Tim

The blood is shown because it was a part of a tool God used to work miracles in this world (it was a part of the saint).

In the Old Testament, a dead man is tossed onto the prophet Elisha's bones and comes back to life! God works physical miracles through physical means–a saint is a human being that has been sanctified through the Holy Spirit. Why WOULDN'T you want to keep these relics around when you know it's something that God specifically touched?

April 27, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • chief

re tim.... that has to be one of the most pathetic and ridiculous excuses for such a blatent pagan act....

April 27, 2011 at 10:10 am |
    • Adelina

Those who believe in Jesus have the Holy Spirit in their hearts and there is the God's Word, the Holy Bible, to read; we don't need anything else. Relics should just encourage beholders to follow Jesus more, but the effect is reversed often because humans are idolatrous by nature. Catholics must watch out this danger.

April 27, 2011 at 10:13 am |
    • jsaiditfirst

Given the inner circle protection thats been afforded the churches clergy just in my lifetime alone, and the unwanted exposure that has cast them into the public light, I would not want to live my life modeled after them. My serach for God takes me outside, above and beyond the dark and mysterious catacomb of the vatican.

Who knows what lurks in those dark places!

April 27, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  13. nick2

What a gross pandering to idolatry.

April 27, 2011 at 9:43 am |
  14. potsefu

Over here in Kenya, tele-evangelists do not just two but countless 'miracles!' Even our politicians do 'miracles'

April 27, 2011 at 9:26 am |
    • You're a joke

So why is your country so f***ed up?

April 27, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  15. Finger Puppet

SOAP charting .... mental health locked ward.
    S. No change.
    O. The Pink Monkeys continue to express interest in ancestor worship, human sacrifice, cannibalism, self-congratulation, (describe themselves as "modern", and "evolved"). Aappear to enjoy "cross" dressing, (white, black, purple and red dresses). Appear to get satisfaction from the wearing of sparkely pointy hats.
    A. No change.
    P. Continue to observe. Medicate per orders.

April 27, 2011 at 9:26 am |
  16. SAM

Any blood drinking ceremony too? We're getting too close to the Other Side! I predict that the second miracle would be surviving the assassination attempt in the 80s.

April 27, 2011 at 9:26 am |
    • Stevie7

Blood drinking ceremony? That happens every day at every Catholic church.

April 27, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  17. jefe

okay, keeping and putting his blood on display is pretty weird, maybe even a bit vial....

April 27, 2011 at 9:15 am |
  18. Steve (the real one)

Why his blood? Does anybody realize he was JUST a man? In addition, The Bible proclaims ALL believers to be saints! l

April 27, 2011 at 8:53 am |
    • Tim

Steve, read a little Church history. I've been a reformed, non-denominational Protestant all my life and have held the same opinion as you just expressed until about a year ago when I started to read about the Early Church.
      Christians have been doing this since the very beginning. The Roman Catholics don't see him as just a man, but as an instrument through which God worked in this world. That's why they venerate him.

April 27, 2011 at 9:22 am |
    • lilimax

Keeping his blood might lead to worshipping the blood. This is a form idolatry and is a sin against God.

April 27, 2011 at 9:27 am |
    • Tim

@lilimax, Roman Catholics don't worship anything or anyone but Jesus Christ, Himself. They ask the Saints to pray for them (those they believe God said "Yeah, they're in Heaven all-right!"), and they venerate their relics. You have examples of relic veneration in the Old Testament itself!

I'm not Roman Catholic, but I feel like I need to speak up when people are being ignorant. Read some Church history. Read some theology. Try to figure out where the Bible properly fits into Christianity. Use your brain!

April 27, 2011 at 9:32 am |
    • Steve (the real one)

Tim,

Thanks for the info but God uses me and I am just a man! I agree with Lilimax, this could turn into worship. That would be spiritualy dangerous.

April 27, 2011 at 9:34 am |
    • Tim

@Steve,
      Nah, what it IS, is failure to properly recognize God's glorification of his own creatures.

Your worries of this turning into idolatrous worship is nothing more than a manifestation of bad theology. :/

April 27, 2011 at 10:02 am |
    • chief

re tim.... i think among the other falsehoods you made... your a catholic... no non-catholic protestants believe that so-called theoly you spew.... that early church tradition crap is nonsense..... the early church was ( for the most part ) more flawed and now guilty of crimes against God in that there have been abominations such as the catholic church that bring paganism into people as something of God

April 27, 2011 at 10:15 am |
    • Steve (the real one)

Tim
      @Steve,
      Kinda like... if we were friends, and I gave you a hundred dollar bill. But then you didn't want to say thanks or acknowledge the hundred dollar bill, because that could make it look like you're appreciating the gift more than your friendship with me. In reality, accepting and appreciating the hundred dollar bill benefits and strengthens our relationship since I was giving it to you as a "gift." So too does God give us His saints as a way to a)show us His glory, and b)allow us to glorify Him even more! Venerating the saints is nothing more than appreciating what God has given us. The Roman Catholic's have been around for 2,000 years and produced the Bible you're likely quoting from to condemn them for possible idolatry. They know what idolatry is very well.
      -------
      Tim, Are you a saint? That is what God calls all of His people, not a select few,but all of us who believe!

April 27, 2011 at 10:18 am |
    • jsaiditfirst

The church worships stone and wood. Why not blood?

April 27, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  19. Reality

Being more succinct:

There was and never will be any bodily resurrections i.e. No Easter, no Christianity !!!!

April 27, 2011 at 7:31 am |
    • Steve (the real one)

Being really, really succinct AND honest,

Once again reality, you are incorrect. You need to cut JD loose! He has been really lying to you!

April 27, 2011 at 8:56 am |
    • HeavenSent

Reality, I'm just shaking my head for you. SNAP OUT OF IT.

Amen.

April 27, 2011 at 9:42 am |
    • GUNTER

Am surprised that you can say this in an age of scientific discoveries, namely that LIFE can only come from LIFE-NOT FROM NON-LIFE. So as there is no substantial 'proof' of life having come about by 'accident'. Even the 'simplest' life form gives ample evidence of DESIGN- INTELLIGENT DESIGN by someone much much GREATER than man ever will be-ALMIGHTY GOD. As He gave life in the first instance it's no problem for him to RECREATE with the same DNA the same person if and when He wants to. Even Jesus said 'Do not marvel at this....' Around 500 RELIABLE WITNESSES saw Jesus after his resurrection. These men and women had REAL FAITH based of facts, not just wishful thinking. Kind greetings, Günter

April 27, 2011 at 9:56 am |
    • Adelina

I Corinthians 15 was written for people like Reality but he never reads it. Willful illiteracy is beyond cure.

April 27, 2011 at 10:02 am |
    • Paul

Tell the witnesses to His resurrection that it did not take place.
      Yes, there were many witnesses.
      Simply saying it did not occur defies logic...

April 27, 2011 at 10:19 am |
    • R.J.

@Heaven sent:

I'm just shaking my head for you. SNAP OUT OF IT.

See what I did there? And with just as much supporting evidence as your argument.

April 27, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • R.J.

@Paul: hey, Paul, you know witnesses can be made up, right? Like most of the bible? That the stories about Jesus are largely taken from older myths from other cultures? That the Bible was written decades and centuries after Jesus supposedly lived? That it was re-written many times for political gain and control? You do know that, right? So, when the "witnesses" can provide proof that isn't just, "uh, yeah, I was there... he, came out of a cave and flew like Superman" I see no reason to buy into your myths.

April 27, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • Up Your Rear Admiral

Hey, Gunter, achh, easy on the CAPS key, bruder.

Not only has man synthesized the basic building blocks of life recently, but man has also, thousands of times in history, created god.

Now der schuh is on der other fuss, hein?

April 27, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • jsaiditfirst

And what does "easter" have to do with christians? I mean honestly, hone in your powers of perception to that question!

April 27, 2011 at 11:59 am |
    • HeavenSent

R.J., the difference is I didn't snap my fingers and wiggle at the time I said it.

Amen.

April 27, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  20. Colin

On January 29, 2010, soon after John Paul II was put "on the path to sainthood," I wrote the following:

"...Nowadays, given our knowledge of the World, the “miracles” the Church relies on are virtually always medical recoveries. Not so in the past, where purely natural events such as storms, eclipses, and meteors were regularly accepted as “miracles” by the indulgent, gullible and scientifically illiterate church. Such events would be laughed at today, so the Church is forced to retreat into one of the last dark corners where it can still claim miraculous intervention, that of medical uncertainty.

The normal course of events today is that a person is dying of a disease and that person prays (only) to the saint-in-waiting. The sick person later gets better, and “the doctors cannot explain why." Hence, the cure is attributed to the intercession of the putative saint. Essentially, “I don’t know” equals God.

Of course, it is never something unambiguously miraculous, like the re-growing of a severed limb, or the recovery of a lost eye or ear. Never. The “miracle” is always hidden inside the body and fits snuggly into that uncertain zone where something is medically difficult to explain. That area where a miracle can be claimed and never quite disproved.

Right now, Pope John Paul II has been put on the path to sainthood by Pope Benedict XVI. Normally they would have to wait years from his death to begin the process, but, bowing to Polish political pressure, the Pope has started the process early. So the hunt for miracles is on.

I will make a prediction. In fact, I will bet London to a brick that; (i) in their search for two miracles, they will quickly find them, just like George Bush’s underlings, under pressure, found “slam dunk” evidence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq; and (ii) the two miracles will both be medical “miracles”. The type that lurk in the above shadows. No severed limbs will re-grow, no angels will appear to raise the dead. Nothing clear and unambiguous. Just good, old fashioned cures perfectly explicable by medical uncertainty."

TA DA – I was right. A nun's Parkinson's disease goes into remission and shazam – it's a miracle!! Odd that she seems to have since relapsed and that his own Parkinson's was never cured!!!

So, let me make one more prediction. I bet that the second "miracle" (for his cannonization) will be exactly the same thing. A total non event. Something totally explicable by medical uncertainty and nothing unambiguously miraculous.

Watch this space. I am 100% certain that I will be right.

Hmmmm, I wonder why one can predict with absolute certainty that the "miracles" of the Catholic Church will lurk in dark shadows?

April 27, 2011 at 7:27 am |
    • PeterVN

Thanks for that, Colin. Spot on with your comments re "miracles", recent and imminent.

Your post is a welcome breath of fresh air here.

Cheers.

April 27, 2011 at 9:16 am |
    • HeavenSent

Colin, Jesus loves physicians. He had Luke write scriptures of His truth. Luke was a physician. Jesus blesses everyone in these fields. As for death and dying. You non-believers don't get it because you have no eyes to see nor ears to hear His truth (the Bible). Life is a test from Jesus to love and follow Him. God destroyed the first earth age when the dinosaur's roamed. God called them behemoths. You can read about them in Job 40:15-19. Then read scriptures 2 Peter 3:5-6 and Jeremiah 4:23-27 regarding the destruction of the first earth age. After God destroyed the first earth age He decided to create it again (this 2nd earth age [Genesis – Revelation] ... time, 3 times for earth ages, 3 times for heaven ages aka eons). This earth age is our chance from God to love and follow Jesus so we can dwell with Him for eternity. Jesus came to earth to walk among us in human flesh to live, then die for our sins (crucified and resurrection) to defeat death (satan and his lies). You non-believers don't understand His truth in the Bible because you didn't learn how to read His truth and cross reference the books within to pull out His truth. All His truth.

Amen.

April 27, 2011 at 9:39 am |
    • PeterVN

Yeah, HS, we know which opening you "pull" your "truth" out of. It's not your mouth.

April 27, 2011 at 10:16 am |
    • R.J.

@Heavensent: there's something seriously wrong with you. What could have been a beautiful mind has been poisoned the point of utter nonsense. "Jesus loved physicians?" ... I had a co-worker tell me the other day that "god works through doctors". Really? All powerful god can make the universe, but he has to work through a doctor? Sounds to me like the doctor is doing all the work, and the church is trying to steal the credit to keep people like you under their influence. You should really stop calling blind faith a virtue, and start using your brain.

April 27, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • Frenchy

I feel sorry for you Colin. You are such a sad, little man. If you can only believe what you can see, your world must be very limited indeed. And your comment may be your truth, but by far, it isn't THE Truth.

April 27, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • Buckminster Fullerene

Once upon a time, there were three little pigs who lived in the forest in a little round hut .......you can order the complete text from the NOPP, the National Office for Pedophile Protection, (also known as the USCCB, the US Conference of Catholic Bishops).

@JH,
      They DO venerate it. They say they have some locked up in their tabernacles. Why indeed ? The only conclusion is that they say they believe it's there, but really DON'T believe iit's there. They DO seem to have an obcession with dead guy's blood however. Eewwee.
      @Adelina,
      Have you ever told us where you live and what language is your primary tongue ? Clearly it's not English.
      @Ricardo,
      Agree. Lets ask for our money back on that one. How about if he gets a cure for the millions of other Parkinson sufferers that were left uncured ?
      @Sam,
      There IS a blood drinking ceremony. Watch this on TV, you will see it happen. Flesh eating too.

April 27, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • R.J.

@ Frenchy: I feel sorry for you Frenchy, you're such a sad little man. If you can only blindly believe what you were told as a child instead of using logic an reason to support your arguments...

April 27, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • jsaiditfirst

Yes, i have to agree that Mr Colin did a decent "soundoff" concerning the churches MO, and HS is most assuredly "digging deep within himself" on that laugh-off followup.

April 27, 2011 at 11:44 am |
    • jsaiditfirst

Riddle me this HS: if God relied on the high powered discernment of a physician such as Luke to accomplish his Will, then what purpose did Paul and John serve, being that they were "men unlettered and ordinary"

You are a sideshow act!

April 27, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • HeavenSent

Riddle? LOL. I told you heathens watched too many Batman and Robin reruns.

Now for some of His truth ...

John 3:17-18

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Amen.