home
RSS
April 27th, 2011

Religion will play leading role in royal wedding

With the Archbishop of Canterbury presiding over Friday's wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton, and with William in line to become supreme head of the Church of England, the royal nuptials will be steeped in religion. Watch CNN's Max Foster's story above to learn more.

Also, read about the dead at William and Kate's wedding - the famous British buried at Westminister Abbey.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Anglican • Christianity • Europe • United Kingdom

1. Mark from Middle River

Part 2

The sad thing is that is exactly what some on the extremes do not want to happen. They want the masses at each others throats and the last thing they want is for folks to find commonality or similar. So the dialogue you stated is what we do or should do here on this blog. What other purpose is there for such a forum besides open discussion?

Terry Jones' occupation is irrelevant; he's an American citizen.” If it were not relevent than he would not be announcing and listing himself as a pastor. Come-on BG... that was too easy... 🙂 He is an American citizen so fight for his right to say such I will but poop of the Earth I will call him. Him and Westboro Baptist.

“That's 'the middle', Mark. That's why most reasonable and realistic people find it so distasteful.”

I disagree BG. I think more folks are getting tired of folks on the extremes whose only known responses are to pick up the sword. I think the reasonable and the realistic folks are getting tired of having yall' continue to pull on them to fight first and then we will not have to fight.

“As a country we've been there, done that, and have the T-shirt. "Fool Us Twice" and it'll be our fault. ”

You mean like how we fought in Libya how many times and good grief here we are fighting there again.... or how the politicians will not allow our military to ever fully “take the gloves off” on an enemy? Here we are again fighting a conflict with a military with one arm tied behind its back. That is a “been there done that”, BG.

But, do please find me these isolationist post of mine. I would avoid the ones around September of last year... I had folks calling me anti-Muslim. 🙂

I do like that part you wrote“..it seems that you're determined to guard your precious 'middle ground' at all costs.” Tell me, can you show me a post on the Belief Blog where someone has acquiesced their view? Have you ever seen a Atheist post when anything about the Catholic Church gets posted? Talk about guarding a view of dislike for anything Catholic. Heck, ever stand between Reality and HeavenSent. Talk about folks fighting and standing their ground. In many ways I can admire it but on a chat blog... whats the point of just exchanges of just shouting.

Let us be reasonable and realistic BG. I will defend the middle cause yall' on the extremes shout so so loud. You define all of us as Americans the same way Bin Laden defines all Muslims. Maybe you should check out the movie Valkyrie... might help you along in life BG. Until that point, God willing, us caught in the middle of extremist will not get shot or blown up in the cross fire.

April 28, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
    • Theodore

Not everyone we met shares our views, opinions, and ideas. Nevertheless, it doesn't have to be the reason for us to stop educating ourselves through learning about others. Most of us learn to base our self-worth on comparisons and compete*tion. We think about succeeding in terms of someone else failing–that is, if I win, you lose; or if you win, I lose Many people think in terms of either/or: either you’re nice or you’re tough. The essence of real maturity is balancing between courage and consideration with the emphasis on consideration.

Most people only focus on winning for themselves without realizing in the process they compromised their ability to grow and become more mature.

April 28, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
    • BG

" Maybe you should check out the movie Valkyrie... might help you along in life BG."

A group of officers acting in loyalty to their country rather than acquiescing to a self-destructive leader? Hmmm. There's some interesting parallels...

April 28, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
    • BG

@ Stuck in the Middle..

" But, do please find me these isolationist post of mine. I would avoid the ones around September of last year... I had folks calling me anti-Muslim."

Well, Mark, it sounds like you were pretty close to taking a stand on something. Now you need to look in a mirror and ask yourself how you became such a wuss in eight short months...

April 28, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
  2. Mark from Middle River

Sorry, I need to chop this reply up, i was lucky this morning....

Hey BG. Sorry for the long respond time,I had classes today. Ok, much to pick over in your reply.

“"When does the point come that we should voice opposition to such speech, not to limit it legally, but to 'call them out' on it?" I say, "all the time." It's called dialogue. But there are limitations. ”

Ok, so now its ok to have dialogue? Ok, with all respect BG I have barely seen you post in all this time and since you claim for me is incredibly off the mark, I think either you have me confused with another or you are making up stuff as you go along. I want you too.. heck I challenge you to follow the “older post links” and find me such an example. What I feel and have stated over and over is that this board has potential to have dialogue before people start hurling grenades at each other. If I wanted to hear one side of a story I would just go back and spend more time over at FoxNews.

So many folks here are worst than trolls because they do not use this forum as a place to converse and find out about the “other side”... they just want to come in here week after week and month after month saying the same things “AT” the other side instead of listening to the other sides. This is foolish and a total waste of time. All it is , is post after post one side thinking of clever statements or questions that they feel will cause the other side to admit that its stupid and wrong. Clearly it doesn't work, so what we get is constant shouting of points after points.

What I always believe is that we do not talk forever... I am not that kind of peace freak... what I do know is that no one here is going to “march out” and hunt down another poster so then while we have the forum to have a dialogue why not find out why the others feel that way.... why not let them know why they feel this way.... often a believe the differences ain't that great. At least not great enough for me to say that I need to burn someones house or church down.

April 28, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
    • BG, Let Us Prey, .308, Dancing with Trolls, honestanon

" Ok, with all respect BG I have barely seen you post in all this time..."

I've been around. I just happen to think -what- you say is more important than the name you say it under.

" Tell me, can you show me a post on the Belief Blog where someone has acquiesced their view?"

I've seen people change their style and approach all the time. Some folks who were argumentative powder-kegs have become quasi-diplomats. Others who where hard-liners have shown increasing empathy. Has anyone outright 'changed' their position? Probably not, but only they know for sure. More importantly, for many, the way they interact has changed.

"I think more folks are getting tired of folks on the extremes whose only known responses are to pick up the sword. I think the reasonable and the realistic folks are getting tired of having yall' continue to pull on them to fight first and then we will not have to fight."

1. Consider the domestic political upheaval; ongoing war(s), economy in the crapper, jobs outsourced, lifestyles being compromised, homes lost, etc.. These are hard times compared to 10 or 20 years ago. People are increasingly frustrated and polarized. If you don't see this you might want to look again.

2. No one is "pulling on people to fight first." Americans have become acutely aware of both foreign influences and domestic self-interests that have been affecting them – and they're fed up. What are their choices? React? Assert? Change? Shout?

Or to just find a soft-spot in the middle ground and foxhole? Therein lies my objection.

April 28, 2011 at 9:04 pm |
  3. Mark from Middle River

Hi BG.

I do not have to change Ernie's perception... His “The middle is not always the answer.” pretty much let me know that on some small bit of Erine's view he sees that the middle has a purpose. The answer is where does it start. Burning a Muslim Holy Book while you yourself are a man of Faith... is so stupid on so many levels. I am against folks doing such actions to just enrage others. The koran is a Muslim Holy Book.... not a terrorist or extremist Holy Book....it is a book for all Muslims. The Muslims of peace and the idiots blowing up school buses. When he, Terry Jones, decides to do such it is a slap in the face of terrorist and of some pretty cool people. I work with a few Muslims and just as my bad was wrong to say all whites are evil, I gotta look at Jones and say that he is wrong as well.

I would ask Terry Jones to talk to a few Muslims about what is going on the Middle East. You will see that things are not as black and white as folks think.

Looking at the clock though, I spent too much time on Ernie's post and I have to go, but let's go with this. You said :

“You castigate Terry Jones for his protests against Islam; I say he's exercising his civil rights. Same for Colin.”

That is interesting because you told me to ask a direct question that I have not gotten an answer for:

“These are my basic and direct questions BG. When does the point come that we should voice opposition to such speech, not to limit it legally, but to "call them out" on it?”

You defended his right to say it, as did I for Terry Jones as well. Personally I do not care that much about Colin's feelings on this in the political sense, chances are he is a pretty cool guy. You claim that I castigated, (reprimanded” him, … BG, is this not what we want moderate Muslim to do to those among them who are Radical Islamist? I have been on this blog for a bit now and folks including myself, always fault the moderates on the Muslim side for not keeping their radicals in check. So for folks on our side, should we not do the same we are asking them to do?

April 28, 2011 at 11:40 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

"my bad" ...typo... = "my dad"

April 28, 2011 at 11:41 am |
    • BG

@ Mark

From your post to Ernie –

"In the middle are those of us caught between a drone strike and two collapsing towers in Manhattan."
      The examples of these two polarizing events cannot represent 'the middle.' We all have allegiances or interests which will pull us out of 'the middle.' I think what Ernie is trying to convey is that 'extreme acts (of violence / war etc..) require extreme responses. Think WW2 and how many, many Americans wanted to stay out of the war at almost any cost. They were comfortable in 'the middle' until Pearl Harbor. I'll defer any further response on that post to Ernie.

From your post to me –

You have to consider the American culture. We can burn in protest almost anything legally. We can peacefully demonstrate and picket. It's one of the pillars of our free society. When -anyone- is prohibited from doing so, we consider it an affront to our rights. Whether we burn a book or protest against their extremism is our -right-, and it's wrong to allow threats of Muslim violence to impede how we exercise our rights. Now consider the Muslims.. For years they've been burning our flag, effigies of our presidents, etc.. and we sit back and say "good for them." Protest is a good thing. But when an American citizen does the same thing on American soil they riot and kill their own people. So we're supposed to concede our freedoms to their continued threats?

To that, Mark, I say bullshi1. "Our soldiers will be in danger?" They already are. "The price of gas will go up?" It will regardless. "It's offensive to American Muslims?" Then 'American' Muslims do not respect the laws or freedoms of their home country, having prioritized their religion over 'their' Consti-tution. "We'll p!ss off the Islamic world?" Too late; they were born that way.

Terry Jones' occupation is irrelevant; he's an American citizen. It begins and ends there, and any attempts to qualify or mitigate how he exercises his legal rights based on his occupation or how others will respond is an attempt to marginalize or dismiss his credence as an American. It is essentially a slap in the face to our Consti-tution and the sacrifices that were made to establish, enforce and apply it's provisions.

There comes a point, Mark, where I run out of patience with 'the middle.' I answered your question quite clearly, but I'll reiterate: "When does the point come that we should voice opposition to such speech, not to limit it legally, but to 'call them out' on it?" I say, "all the time." It's called dialogue. But there are limitations. I've been on this blog since last August. I've seen many of your postings, and it seems that you're determined to guard your precious 'middle ground' at all costs. You are the personification of pre-WW2 America. Apologetic for your country, oblivious to international threats, conciliatory to aggressors and detractors, and all too willing to compromise your own rights in order to avoid an otherwise inevitable confrontation with those that want what you have.

That's 'the middle', Mark. That's why most reasonable and realistic people find it so distasteful. As a country we've been there, done that, and have the T-shirt. "Fool Us Twice" and it'll be our fault. I encourage anyone who takes exception with the obvious to grow a pair before they're forced to, as were the Americans of 1941.

April 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  4. Mark from Middle River

Ernie first. The problem with ...well pretty much all you have just said is that they are saying pretty much the exact same thing over there. Much of what you just said the extremist on the other side are having their children repeat as a mantra each night before they go to sleep. Did you see the last scene of the movie “The Kingdom”. In two different locations, one here in Washington and one in Suadi Arabia, two people asked what a central character whispered to another after an attack … both comments were the basically same.... “don't worry we will strike back and avenge”

Ernie, you said “How about when their beliefs are different than yours and their beliefs are causing them to attack you in the first place?”

To some folks this goes back further than you, me or our great grandparents...in historical perspectives we are talking generations. There are still people upset at how Battle of Thermopyla turned out. The real story of Dracula talks about how there has been contention between those of the west and those of the east since the dawn of time and both knew the other was there. We in the United States have just been brought into a Mediterranean fight between people that have used ideology, Faith, and pretty much anything to get men to march off to war. So when you say “attack in the first place”, when it comes to that... unless you want to devest ourselves from countries such as Britain, France, Spain and other Europeans then we are sorta stuck in that way.

The other way that “first place”... ever check out the US Marine hymn. The shores of “Tripoli”

“The Battle of Derne was a decisive victory of a mercenary army led by a detachment of United States Marines and soldiers over pirate forces along the Barbary coast nation of Tripoli during the First Barbary War. It was the first recorded land battle of the United States fought overseas.”

Tripoli.... Aren't we militarily engaged there … right now. I am not that old but I do remember when I was a kid we were fighting there and I turn on the news and we are fighting there again. I always wonder if we found, say a Roman frozen in a block of ice. After he was thawed out he would probably ask us about news of the fighting in the Middle East.

Erine I wave the flag just as much as the rest but our allies are our allies and over in the Middle East there are some saying the same thing and are wanting to kill us.

Would I want to shoot someone trying to kill me, yep. At the same time as you say, “beliefs cause actions”. Do you feel that such a statement only applies to negative feelings? If negative beliefs cause actions, will positive beliefs cause actions?

You said “Where is the middle between insane beliefs and sane ones, between beliefs that are a threat to anyone and those that are not?”

I was told by BG to ask direct questions, so I asked a question very similar to yours. Where is that point. You say that the in the middle is no-mans land. I disagree. In the middle are those of us caught between a drone strike and two collapsing towers in Manhattan. I ask you Ernie, how should I feel if my wife was in tower two of the trade center. How should I feel if my wife was in the car behind a car was was just blown up from a missile strike?

See, I am one of those that will stand by my country for its actions because of E pluribus unum. At the same time, I do see that the great country on Earth seems to be fighting in a battle that existed before religions and before our country was even formed. Try this, the before mentioned Dracula and his issues with the Persians... why do you think Columbus and Europe decided to find another way to Asia? Where do you think Draconian law comes from? In some stupid way, the conflict of the middle east vs the west was responsible in some ways for us.

So Erine, you ask where is my middle position, its knowing that things are gray as a S.O.B. 🙂 I can listen to folks like yourself that really do not want to hear anything but strike back strike back. I could go with these liberals here on CNN and pass out flower power like it can do anything. I believe that there is a point of, “Hey lets see what we can do to try to exist on this same rock circling the sun before carpet bombing your town into glass”. You are right Ernie, the “middle” is not always the answer...which means that you admit that on occasions it can be the answer. See, that little blurb just lost you our entire argument.... even you contradict your own argument by going from there is “none” to a “not always”.

So I pose to you Ernie, since you are a small bit in the middle as well.... at what point do you believe that the middle is or is not the answer. What infraction causes the “switch” to be thrown?

April 28, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

I can not believe that entire post went up on the first try without "moderation"....... I budgeted a hour for editing for that post. Stunned.

April 28, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  5. ladyG

Until people stop worshiping the rich and famous, things cannot and will not change. Imagine having kings and queens in the 21st Century. It is outrageous! We idolize and worship movie stars, sports hero's and people like the royal family and what this does is embarrasses ourselves. It is like worshiping false Gods. Our news is a complete disgrace by reporting so much on something like a royal wedding. Really, who cares? This is setting others above ourselves, is is not? What has the royal family done to make a better world? What have any of the people we put on a pedestal done, to make this a better world and this includes our entire government, yet they are treated like royalty and live like royalty. We don't even demand justice for ourselves. So, as long as we worship the people we worship, they will always gloat over the attention, all the time thinking what fools we are.

April 28, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  6. Mutant Z-Man

What is this, the blog for old men? Jeez.

April 28, 2011 at 5:31 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Yep now get out of here before I beat you over the head with my X-Wing Fighter. The one with the battle damage stickers. 🙂

April 28, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
  7. Mark from Middle River

Ok BG.

Good response and with respect ok I hope to reciprocate. Ok, when someone, such as Colin says that:

"Ah, the three things I hate most, royaly, religion and monogomy. "

What would be your response?

When the same guy quotes this : ""no progress will be made until the last king is strangled with the entails of the last priest."

How do you feel someone that believes different should respond. See I feel blessed that one day they brought a Holacaust survivor to our class when I was in grade school. After hearing her story I will never forget the quote of

"All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

So when a guy, Colin, comes in and starts quoting that he hates and that he honors a quote about killing those that do not believe the same as he does..... Should not someone challenge his pea-brain notion of such. Is it being a zealot to stand up in the crowd and say ..."Hey Colin, hate is a pretty strong word but when you talk about killing folks that think or believe differently you have crossed the line" ?

April 28, 2011 at 1:16 am |
    • Ernie

Wouldn't you kill enemies who wanted to kill you, but do it first if you could to protect your friends, family, country, and world?
      Do you refuse to defend yourself when someone is coming at you with a deadly weapon?
      Why would anyone want to respect their rights when they have forfeited them already? Or you can just die. Whichever. Die for your mistaken beliefs if you want, but let the rest of us defend ourselves against insane beliefs that endanger those we love.
      What would you say to a Muslim suicide bomber who wanted to kill you because you believe different? Wouldn't you want to shoot him from a goodly distance instead?
      And if you did, wouldn't you have killed him because of his beliefs and your unwillingness to let him kill you, your unwillingness to allow him his beliefs?
      Beliefs cause actions. If a belief threatens others, whether directly or indirectly, shouldn't you have the right to fight that belief?
      Where is you middle position on these? There is none. An extreme threat requires an effective defense. There is nothing in the middle but a no-man's-land empty of any position that one could reasonably take.
      The middle is not always the answer. Extremism must be defended against using what will actually work, not what you would prefer to use.

April 28, 2011 at 4:37 am |
    • BG

@ Mark

"Ah, the three things I hate most, royaly (sic), religion and monogomy (sic). "
      What would be your response?"

To think that the writer likes sl utty atheist commoners? What'sa matter, you don't like bad girls? Well, maybe not as a steady diet...

" When the same guy quotes this : "no progress will be made until the last king is strangled with the entails (sic) of the last priest." How do you feel someone that believes different should respond."

With the understanding that the comment (originally Denis Diderot's) is simply metaphor describing the perception of and objection to the influence of religion upon government and the need for proactive change. Here's a good treatise on both Voltaire and Diderot: http://ase.tufts.edu/polsci/faculty/Rasmussen/burningLaws.pdf

"All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" is generally attributed to Edmund Burke, however there's not a specific record of him ever having actually said it. It is, however, written (albeit in Russian) as being told by the 'narrator' in Tolstoy's "War and Peace." It's a "pretty" saying, but not a direct quotation, and is therefore open to both interpretation and application.

You think it applies to the Holocaust, and to most thinking, rightly so. Now here's Colin who's believes religion is an imposition upon government and, as a call to action, quotes a French philosopher and reform advocate. Metaphorically, he's taking action by advancing his objection. Realistically, I don't think that Colin's going on a B-movie slasher spree... he's simply voicing a (albeit tired) objection representative of current pop-culture atheism.

Lincoln said "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it." You castigate Terry Jones for his protests against Islam; I say he's exercising his civil rights. Same for Colin. You say extremist, I say advocate. You pose the question: "When does the point come that we should voice opposition to such speech, not to limit it legally, but to "call them out" on it?"

I say, "all the time." It's called dialogue. But you should try to understand the motivation behind statements contrary to your beliefs. Here's another quote for you.... it's Nietzsche's, but that doesn't mean I'm a nihilist. I just like the quote.

"The surest way to corrupt a young man is to teach him to esteem more highly those who think alike than those who think differently."

And just for clarification, on my post where I said "perceptually wrong, politically wrong," etc. I was referring to you, and not the action, i.e. -you're- politically wrong, not Terry Jones. Also, I agree with everything written by Ernie on his post above; do you want to challenge Ernie as an "extremist?" Defend your position, sure, but don't be offended if you can't change someone's perceptions.

Gotta go. Hope this was helpful, or at least challenging.

April 28, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  8. Mark from Middle River

Yep, that's right , along with good post I can fly as well. 🙂

Funny though... is that the best argument you can respond with. Come on Admiral and BG, I am bored here....put up some type of fight 🙂

April 27, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
    • BG

@ Mark

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think that your employing far too much presumption in the development of your perceptions of both others (in this case, myself) and of world events.

You might want to ask some basic and direct questions first.

April 27, 2011 at 9:43 pm |
  9. Up Your Rear Admiral

Mark, yeah, Colin is extremely correct, and the religious wackos are extremely wrong.

And poor you, stuck in the Middle River. They've got you on both banks, you moderate zealot.

April 27, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Hmm...dual post saying the same thing.Do we have a studdering problem Admiral?

Poor me, poor you. Out there in the extremes there is absolutely no room for you to move. You can not go forward or backwards, one small misstep and off the deep end all of you go.

The problem is that when your "missteps" happen it has twin towers crashing to the ground and folks like Terry Jones burning Holy books. Your "missteps" of extremist thinking brought us the Rodney king beating and the Reginald Denny beatings in the same year.

If I am standing in the "middle" and they got me on "both backs" then let me key up my 300 movie soundtrack....

....and let the party Begin !!! .... Persians... come get them!!!!

April 27, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • BG

@ MMR

Sound like you're going for more of a "Meet the Spartans" kinda battle. Especially if you think Terry Jones is a 'misstep.' Please, Mark, do us a favor and stay in the middle of the river. I don't know about the 'far bank', but you don't deserve to walk on my side.

April 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

BG – I will hold from posting the same time you folks on the extreme go back to your side it is not worth the strife to "walk" with those that want to strangle their enemies with their entrails. Also, yes, as a Christian Terry Jones is a severe misstep. There are better ways to challenge Radical Islam than the way he is doing it. He wants to bring Islam out into the light at the same time he is showing the worst of Christianity.

Did you think I "wanted" to walk on the same side as extremist? 🙂 Tell me again how youside is not that much different than theTaliban...

April 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
    • Up Your Rear Admiral

Whoooooooshhhh. The sound of another comment rushing over Mark.

April 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • BG

@ MMR

" you folks on the extreme,,,"
      Interpretively wrong.

" those that want to strangle their enemies with their entrails."
      Excessively wrong.

" Also, yes, as a Christian Terry Jones is a severe misstep. There are better ways to challenge Radical Islam than the way he is doing it. "
      Politically wrong.

" He wants to bring Islam out into the light at the same time he is showing the worst of Christianity. "
      Perceptually wrong.

" Tell me again how youside (sic) is not that much different than the Taliban..."
      Comically wrong.

Sorry for the brevity, but I need to be succinct as I'm doing this between Fringe episodes.

April 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • BG

I'm FREE! The exorcism worked!

April 27, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
    • Peace2All

@BG

LOL... Why of course the 'exorcism' worked, I had to distract you by getting you to keep your eye's focused on 'Anna Torv' on Fringe. 🙂

You're a pretty tough dude though, so I had to call in my pal's the 'Observers' to assist.

Peace brother...

April 28, 2011 at 1:27 am |
    • BG

@ Peace2All

My kid makes sandwiches like an observer does, with lots of jalapenos and pepper !

April 28, 2011 at 7:18 am |
    • Anna Torv

I just wanted to tell everyone that I think BG's really hot. G'day mates!

April 28, 2011 at 7:26 am |
  10. Colin

Ah, the three things I hate most, royaly, religion and monogomy. A wise man once said, "no progress will be made until the last king is strangled with the entails of the last priest."

April 27, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Hate....strangling..... interesting. Hmm...seems folks are right, it is not Religion that is the problem...its just the power hungry that are willing to kill anything they hate to obtain it.

Please continue Colin, the more your type of speach comes out it just another example that extremist exist on all sides.

April 27, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • Up Your Rear Admiral

yeah, Colin is extremely correct, and the religious wackos are extremely wrong.

April 27, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • HeavenSent

John 3:17-18

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Amen.

April 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
    • Liz

To observe morality is to attain mastery over our mind and our passions.

April 28, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
  11. Contraption

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8rLIT0RFGQ&w=640&h=390]

April 27, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  12. Contraption

The UK exported most of it's religious fruitcakes in the 17th century. Guess where they went.

It's nice to know the wedding will be where Charles Darwin is buried.

April 27, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  13. Magic

I sure hope that they invited Merlin and Morgan le Fay to the wedding.... they're in for it if they didn't.

April 27, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  14. Inspector Clouseau

I for one am very pleased that this church body has chosen to maintain it's cultural heritage and historic roots. It clearly means a great deal to the people of Britain, and is something for which they can be very proud. The choir at Westminster obviously stunned the Roman clerics when they were here last fall visiting, by it's quality and beauty, and clearly superior music to that heard in Italy. They were agog. According to my great uncles and aunts, so many of the Italy followers had the cultural rug, "pulled out from under them" 50 years ago when the elite chose to "change everything" and jettison, by decree, the 1000 year old traditions that were so much a part of their lives, and have never recovered or lost their resentment.

April 27, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  15. Peace2All

Not sure why, but it strikes me as interesting in that I seem to recall a statistic that claims England as being rated near the top as one of the most secular nations in the world. 1 in 10 or 12 only going to some kind of church service.

Do most of the people of England really care about the 'religious' aspects of this wedding, assuming that they really care at all about this event...?

Peace...

April 27, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Jose Sanchez

Religion is as relevant in England as the royalty. Both are part of their cultural legacy, and both have no power today.

April 27, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  16. Reality

And will the future king William behead Kate if she fails to produce a male heir as did the founder of said religion. Actually Henry VIII had two of six wives beheaded. And the call this a religion?

April 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  17. Mark

What a load of crap. Religion is the downfall of 21th century man. More people have died, more pain and suffering has been caused by religion than any thing else in the history of mankind.

April 27, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Chesterton

"21th century man?" Yes, I can't think why I might doubt that sweeping assertion of yours, seeing as you are obviously so educated.

April 27, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  18. Maybe

Run, William and Kate, RUN from that supersti.tious religious hocus pocus!

April 27, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  19. The Devil™

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujuGKvMSeWA&w=640&h=390]

April 27, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • Up Your Rear Admiral

Ha ha ha. I ain't no priest but I have to remember his punchline for use somewhere. Also
      [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgpdJwSMLQs&w=640&h=360]

April 27, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
  20. Slobbering

Oh, we get to comment on this one, do we? Thanks so very much.
    I kiss your boots, mmmmh!

April 27, 2011 at 2:22 pm |