home
RSS
My Take: My prayer after bin Laden’s death
President Barack Obama greets members of the U.S. military in Washington.
May 5th, 2011

My Take: My prayer after bin Laden’s death

Editor's Note: Karen Spears Zacharias is the author of After the Flag has been Folded, serves on the national advisory board for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund and blogs at Patheos.com.

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

The news that Osama bin Laden is dead sent throngs of Americans into the streets hooting and hollering like Super Bowl revelers.

Such a reaction is understandable given the tedious hunt our military has conducted. We should applaud them and their families for the sacrifices they have made and that they continue to make.

No disrespect to President Barack Obama or former President George W. Bush, but it is through the relentless efforts of our military, their unwavering commitment to duty, their love of country and each other that this particular mission has been accomplished.

Certainly the families of those slain in New York's Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and that Pennsylvania field on 9/11 have earned the right to raise their hands in jubilation that the man who masterminded the slaughter of their loved ones has now met a justifiable end.

There are some who are rejoicing because they believe that the death of Bin Laden will usher the world into a new era of peace. CNN national security analyst Peter Bergen said that Bin Laden’s death is huge. “Killing Bin Laden is the end of the war on terror,” he said this week.

Read more CNN Belief Blog coverage of Osama bin Laden's death.

But here, in this household, the news of bin Laden’s death was not met with fists pumps or high fives. The news laid me out flat. Forehead to the floor. Praying. Weeping. More praying.

Yes, I’m grateful that our military has stopped bin Laden. If there is one thing I understand completely it is the sacrifices our nation’s military have made. I was 9-years-old when my father, Staff Sgt. David Spears, was killed in Vietnam's Ia Drang Valley.

In March 2003, I was returning from an emotional trip to Vietnam to visit my father's battlefield when President Bush gave the order to invade Iraq. I watched his address on a wide-screen television in Singapore's airport.

I realized in that moment that there would be a whole new generation of children who would grow up as I did - the collateral damage of yet another hotly contested war.

Follow CNN's Belief Blog on Twitter.

I knew it would be a long and drawn-out mission because, as with Vietnam, we simply didn't begin to understand the complexities of waging war in the Middle East, among a people whose traditions and culture are so vastly different than our own.

It is for our military and their families that I have been praying. Bergen might think that bin Laden’s death represents an end on the war on terror, but I disagree.

While Obama was announcing bin Laden’s death, our nation’s military bases were put on a heightened security status. Retaliation is a given. Anyone who thinks otherwise does not understand what we are up against.

A war on terror is not about capturing people and killing them. It’s about capturing the hearts of a people and changing them. Until we understand that, we can’t possibly defeat terrorism.

Bin Laden’s death, while justified, doesn’t mark the end to the reign on terror. Sure, it’s easy enough to mark bin Laden up as a lone nut job. Whacked. Three bricks shy of a load.

It’s tougher to consider that a boy who had been raised in a good home - a home where faith was preached and practiced, a home where education was encouraged and lauded, a home where charity was instilled and cultivated - grew up to hate so much.

But then we only have to look at Virginia Tech or Columbine to find our own homegrown terrorists.

Yes, there is a collective sigh of relief we share over the death of bin Laden. One more evil man stopped dead in his tracks. But once this frat party ends, we are still faced with the unanswered questions: Why did bin Laden hate us so? What were the reasons he wanted to harm us?

Was it our values and the faith we tout so frequently, as some have suggested? Or our hypocrisy? We preach democracy while supporting tyrants. We preach opportunity while turning a blind eye to corporations that exploit their workers. We preach virtue while exporting a culture that is saturated with sex and violence and rampant consumerism. Perhaps bin Laden felt threatened by all that.

Is there a better, more productive way to diffuse the wrath of terrorists, a way that won’t require the lives of thousands of troops, and the loss of limbs and brain function to hundreds of thousands of others?

Military action might be a necessary component but it is never going to bring about long-term security. There is no such thing as "winning the war on terror." The inequalities of our world's economic and health conditions fan the flames of hatred among the disenfranchised and underprivileged.

We will only change their attitudes as we build diplomatic, humanitarian, economic and personal relationships, allowing for our differences and respecting each other in the process. That's not appeasement. That's compassion.

Failing that, it seems to me that bin Laden’s death will not usher in a new era of prolonged peace. Instead, it will only ensure there will be more slaughter to follow as those seeking to avenge his death follow our lead, as we sought to avenge the deaths of those lost on 9/11.

This isn’t the way to peace. This is tit-for-tat retribution.

I hope once all this revelry ends, you’ll join me in prayer for our troops, for our nation and for the pursuit of peace that provides understanding.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Islam • Opinion • Terrorism

1. JWH

mushy mushy...capture their hearts? Puke. Wake up lady, THEY hate us and want to destroy us period.

Puke.

May 17, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Timie

God bless Israel. They take no B-S for your infid-el states who encourage the proliferation of islam into the west but will not permit even a single church on their own soil. I cry for the west. Ever so sweet and liberal to allow people to literally do their thing. I pray you don't go the way of Babylon and be your own downfall. Return to the righteousness and truth your nations were founded on and resist the 'Devil' and make them flee from you back into their barren deserts where they belong.

I'm sorry for those who are offended by this but I don't know about you ... I've simply had enough of these souls who will not Live and Let Live!

May 9, 2011 at 7:03 am |
  3. Timie

The bible says the sins of the fathers will be visited on the children and even the children's children. And also that when a evil man dies, the whole city rejoices, so the rejoice of the people in America is more than justified. Even I – a Nigerian, rejoiced and celebrated with them and called loved ones to celebrate the unspeakable joy of seeing the end of that son of the dev-il. Just like some of your isla-mic brothers here in Northern Nigeria celebrated 9/ 11.

May 9, 2011 at 7:00 am |
  4. Timie

This is a blatant display of the hypocrisy of the isla-mic world. Sticking up for the honor of a mass murder-er who commited a heinous act of Hit-leric proportions (my coinage) and caused the darkest days in mordern history. What an insult to even evoke the sympathy of his barely legitimate (and unfortunate to have been fathered by such a beast) children. Have you considered the innocent children and spouses left behind by those poor unsuspecting victims in those towers?

May 9, 2011 at 7:00 am |
  5. Timie

Release my comment and stop being hypocrites! Isn't their freedom of speech anymore?

May 9, 2011 at 6:56 am |
    • Timie

That's exactly what I was pointing out in my comment. Abdur Tawfeeq can be allowed to say any rubbish he likes but I can't reply him. It's high time we started making fools know they are fools like the bible said.

May 9, 2011 at 6:59 am |
    • Timie

I was able to sneak in most of my post but they won't allow the penultimate paragraph. What a shame. It was my favourite. 🙂

May 9, 2011 at 7:09 am |
  6. We're moved by the media!

How poor people we are! Those who control the meidia know how naiive most of us are! So you think Mr. Obama did kill "Osama" at the hands of the brave SEALS! Just think for a moment: how come "Osama" hadn't released videos for years, I beleive the last one dated 2004? How come the most intelligent terroists who was able to plan for the 911 attack was unarmed and acted like a baby looking from above to see what the shooting was about (check this Pentagon released animation http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42923571#42923571 )? What are the Obama administration afraid of showing in the video they saw during the raid? The horrible immage after "Osama" was killed? they can blure this after showing him coming in and out and being shot at! But, No! They did not kill him because he could not die twice. Former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto was killed 20 days after releasing info about "Osama"'s death? And here is CNN interview with frmr Pakistan intelligence about the case http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/05/05/exp.arena.osama.hamid.gul.cnn . Why the White House administrations want to fool the American public and the world? Because they can't live without wars, invasions, taking other nations resources and selling weopons to stupid people to kill each other. Who bombed the FBI building in 1995? It was an American! But of course one man can't do such a job on his own, please go and check it out? What plane hit tower 7 in sept 911? no plane, but the tower went down the same way the twin towers did! Why people danced in the muslim world, because the media made them beleive it was muslims who did it in revenge for the hundreds of thousands of muslims who have been killed and moved out of their lands by Americans and their allies? Why did Americans dance on the streets last week? Because the meida made them beleive their worst enemy was taken care of! And now, the media is doing it again. It was able to move the attention of people from the fact that "Osama" was long dead to whether or not his body was respectfully treated! So, good luck to all those who fell in this trap for they will never be able to see what is going on around them!

May 9, 2011 at 1:12 am |
  7. Thomassabo

It's not means the terrorist attacks stop.I infer.Americans will may be more attacks by terrorist ,special who oversea .

May 6, 2011 at 4:34 am |
  8. April

@tallulah13 – That's why it's called "faith," but it doesn't mean that every believer is crazy. It just means that they believe something different from you and @Rogue. Profanity laced diatribes aren't amusing to me. They only seek to minimize the legitmacy of the speaker.

May 5, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
    • Ed

April,
      Amen

May 6, 2011 at 7:43 am |
    • wipeOut

@April
      How I wish I could school Atheists like the way you do. How sharply you hit the nail right on the head. Likewise, on how you articulately stating your facts and proving your point even without those fancy slangs and idioms.

And while maintaining your serenity and civility you still could pierce and blow away the (ballooned) egos of some individuals that have had overwhelmed their senses and might bring them back to it.

I'm a former Atheist, I didn't get rid the arrogance in my system yet. It maybe still a long shot for me to achieve but I'm working on it.

May 6, 2011 at 8:31 am |
    • April

@wipeout – You can't "school" atheists or any other person. No one was ever coerced or ridiculed into believing. Respectful language is always important in gaining the ear of anyone we have civil discourse with. It isn't difficult for me to understand why a person might choose not to believe in a higher power, but it doesn't make sense that they would not equally be able to understand the reasons that I carry with me the conviction of faith that I do. If all of us could rise above name-calling and abuse, we would be able to build bridges toward mutual understanding. Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Jr., Mother Theresa, are only a few examples of people of faith who made great changes toward the betterment of the world. If we can live even a small bit of the peaceful, beautiful, and servant-like lives that they have modeled for us, we would all be greater for it.

May 6, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  9. Rogue

@Floyd – If the Lord helps those who help themselves, then they are the Lord and not some invisible bearded fellow pretending to appear as random events.
    The basis of Christianity is in the lies written at the direction of Paul all those years ago. Helping others has been around as long as humanity. Longer if you consider that most primates help each other.
    Are you saying they are Christians? No? Then you are just talking bullshlt.
    I do not hate Christians because they have faith. And I do not hate all people of all faiths. You are a lying sack of shlt, to put it politely...
    I hate lies and insanity. Your faith is a mental illness based upon lies.
    If I am supposed to hate the mentally ill because they are ill, then too bad. I don't work that way.
    I hate your religion for being a festering pile of dung-based nonsense that causes people like you to do insane and stupid things.
    That doesn't mean I hate you, you dumbfck. That just means I consider my morals and ethics to be more pure and realistic than yours, since they are based upon realistic expectations of how this universe works and how human beings tend to be.
    But thanks anyway.
    Your "faith" did nothing but reinforce your internal coping skills using delusional referents.
    It remains bullshlt no matter how many sparkling and wonderful people believe the lies you call Christianity.
    You just don't get it, do you? I don't hate everyone. I happen to love everyone and am fighting against the madness of religion on the behalf of all humanity. That includes you, you dork, even if you don't want me to do anything for you. I'm doing it anyway. Kind of like when you "pray" for me.
    So take your bigotry that you accuse me of and shove it up your ass.

May 5, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
    • April

@Rogue – Most objective polls show that 93% of the US believe in some kind of God. It seems to me that it takes more faith for you to believe in nothing than it does for the rest of the nation to believe in something. You're in the minority, so does that make everyone else crazy? That's a lonely stance. No wonder you're angry.

May 5, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
    • tallulah13

April:
      While I find Rogue's profanity laced diatribe to be amusing, 90% of Americans believing in some higher power doesn't mean that there actually is a higher power. It just means that 93% of Americans were taught to believe in a higher power, or had an experience that they couldn't explain, leading them to credit a higher power. There is still no proof of the existence of any god.

May 5, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • Rogue

@April – An honest position is not dependent upon numbers, but that only one person is needed to hold it. My position is an honest one and relies upon what is known to be real. Your is a dishonest position and relies upon hallucinations and indoctrination. Small wonder there are more of you.

May 5, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
    • Maybe

April,

Do you know the percentage of people, around 500 years ago (and before), who believed that the Sun orbited the Earth, and that the Earth was the center of the universe?... probably higher than 93%. People were imprisoned and even executed for claiming otherwise. The argument from popularity is quite flawed.

May 5, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
    • April

@Rogue/@Maybe – Can you prove that there is no God? No. It seems not to bother you to ridicule people with your words. Respect for the beliefs of others goes both ways. If you would expect others to respect your atheism, you must also respect their beliefs in a higher power. I'm not using percentages to defend my own deeply held belief (and the belief of the majority of people) to either of you, I am using it to point out that you are passing judgement on the lion's share of the population. @Rogue was inferring that the majority of the people of this country are crazy if they believe in prayer or have faith in God. I think its fair to expect that those who believe should rationally be able to do so without being called ignorant, crazy, or whatever profanity laced diatribe @Rogue has up his sleeve. Whatever may have happened 500 years ago, wouldn't we all be better human beings if we could respect the beliefs of others without hatred, violence, and a lack of civility entering into it?

May 6, 2011 at 12:36 am |
    • pacman

@maybe..you're a dolt
      @tullah..you're a double dolt.
      @rogue..you're exceptional! you've made it triple.

May 6, 2011 at 7:15 am |
    • Mystic

@Rogue..Didn't you notice that the more your balls has swell the more your d!ck had cringe?

May 6, 2011 at 7:27 am |
    • wipeOut

While Ateists egos swelling like a space blob, their brains are shrinking to the size of a quark.

They don't want to accept the fact that when all believers pee, they surely drown by it. Likewise, when believers will fart, it will simply blow them away.

May 6, 2011 at 7:32 am |
  10. shellierushingtomlinson

Thoughtful piece, Karen. I enjoyed it. And thank you for giving credit where it is due. Kudos to Presidents Bush and Obama for their respective roles in this mission, but I agree with you whole heartedly– the lion's share goes to our military for their strength, resolve, and courage.

May 5, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
  11. Floyd

@Rogue – The Lord helps those who help themselves.
    Yes, the basis of Christianity is to help others, and not expect God to do it for them. One can ask and pray for strength in order to do so, but we do understand that God gave us Free Will and relies upon us to do His good work. The power of faith and prayer has absolutely given people the ‘extra’ strength to do a little more. I am living proof of that faith. When terribly ill 10 years ago, and I was losing the battle I prayed for strength, not the healing. I asked for the strength to come to terms with what was happening to me and accept my fate or strength to help me fight my illness as I was in the hospital for months and was also getting depressed hooked up to tubes staring at the same walls and ceiling. A psychiatrist wanted to prescribe antidepressants but I declined, and my doctor agreed there would be too many risky side effects and so I turned to my God and He helped me find the strength and courage to both physically and mentally fight. I am in good health today and my kids have their father thanks to an understanding and talented doctor, but also and even he agreed, the therapy of my faith to give me that little more fight I needed. I am far from the only one that found a little extra strength because of my faith. Many police, firefighters, military, nurses, rescue workers and doctors use their faith to muster just a little more to help others. It works! It may not be the hand of God that does the work, but He does help us to help ourselves. Unfortunately, many people who do not have faith at all aim to ruin all faiths, not just Christianity. If you hate Christians because they have faith, then you hate all people of all faiths and you are nothing short of a self-absorbed bigot.

May 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  12. Rogue

Praying, weeping, and more praying?
    While you sound relatively intelligent about the complexities of these situations, your irrational response does not exactly induce confidence in your cognitive abilities.
    Be that as it may, wishful thinking and prayers never did a damn thing in this world.
    If you want something to actually be done, you cannot rely upon your "god" but must actually DO something real to have any hope of actual results.
    You want something done right? Do it yourself. A truism that has stood the test of time, as opposed to your mystical reliance upon things with no basis in reality.
    Dogma will not help you here. Prayer will not change anything but your own brain as it reinforces your disjointed and schizophrenic thought patterns.
    But you write pretty good for all that. Your article was easy enough to read, that is...

May 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Rogue

Hello, my good friend ! I see you are in 'fine' form today 🙂

Hope that you are well...

Peace brother...

May 5, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Rogue

@Peace2All – Heyo! I am actually a little off my game today, but that can change if I get riled up enough over something.
      Glad to see you out hobnobbing! This has been a busy week for me and things are finally settling down again enough for me to post a few things.
      Peace...

May 5, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
  13. RightturnClyde

I made CNN mad so my post will not be published

May 5, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • i wonder

RightturnClyde – "I made CNN mad so my post will not be published"

Did you get the "Your post is awaiting moderation" message. There is a remedy for that, you know.

May 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • Reality

The moderators of this blog have set up a secret forbidden word filter which unfortunately not only will delete or put your comment in the dreaded "waiting for moderation" category but also will do the same to words having fragments of these words. For example, "t-it" is in the set but the filter will also pick up words like Hitt-ite, t-itle, beati-tude, practi-tioner and const-tution. Then there are words like "an-al" thereby flagging words like an-alysis and "c-um" flagging acc-umulate or doc-ument. And there is also "r-a-pe", “a-pe” and “gra-pe”, "s-ex", and "hom-ose-xual". You would think that the moderators would have corrected this by now considering the number of times this has been commented on but they have not. To be safe, I typically add hyphens in any word that said filter might judge "of-fensive".

• More than one web address will also activate “waiting for moderation”. Make sure the web address does not have any forbidden word or fragment.

Sum Dude routinely updates the list of forbidden words/fragments.

Two of the most filtered words are those containing the fragments "t-it" and "c-um". To quickly check your comments for these fragments, click on "Edit" on the Tool Bar and then "Find" on the menu. Add a fragment (without hyphens) one at a time in the "Find" slot and the offending fragment will be highlighted in your comments before you hit the Post button. Hyphenate the fragment(s) and then hit Post. And remember more than one full web address will also gain a "Waiting for Moderation".

And said moderators still have not solved the chronological placement of comments once the number of comments gets above about 100. They recently have taken to dividing the comments in batches of 50 or so, for some strange reason. Maybe they did this to solve the chronology problem only to make comment reviews beyond the tedious.

“Raison's Filter Fiber© (joking about the copyright)
      1. Here's my latest list – this seems like a good spot to set this down, as nobody's posting much on this thread.....
      --–
      bad letter combinations / words to avoid if you want to post that wonderful argument:
      Many, if not most are buried within other words, but I am not shooting for the perfect list, so use your imagination and add any words I have missed as a comment (no one has done this yet)
      – I found some but forgot to write them down. (shrugs).
      s-ex
      c-um.........as in doc-ument, accu-mulate, etc.
      sp-ic........as in disp-icable (look out Sylvester the cat!)
      ho-mo...whether ho-mo sapiens or ho-mose-xual, etc.
      t-it.........const-itution, att-itude, ent-ities, etc.
      an-al......ban-al
      sh-it
      fu-ck...
      who-re
      tw-at.....as in wristw-atch, (an unexpected one)
      pr-ick
      sl-ut
      c-lit
      va-g....as in extrava-gant, va-gina, va-grant
      hor-ny
      ar-se....yet "ass" is not filtered!
      nip-ple
      po-rn
      c-ock
      nig-ger
      cu-nt
      b-itch
      ra-pe
      jacka-ss...but ass is fine lol
      p-is.....as in pi-stol, lapi-s, pi-ssed, etc.
      o ficti-tious, repeti-tion, competi-tion.
      Sna-tch
      soft-ware
      Ja-panese
      Span-king
      hoo-ters
      There are more, so do not assume that this is complete.
      -–
      okay words that you might not expect to be filtered....!!!
      beaver
      penis
      ass
      crap
      damn
      anal
      anus
      sphincter
      testicles
      testes
      pubic
      boob

Here's a word to add to the banned list: co-co-on
      whether it's c-oc, or co-on, this is ridiculous.”

May 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • RightturnClyde

Likewise I salute our military members (myself a veteran and VFW member). Our military defends us. That nut caused the WTC and 6000 people. ..but had not finished. He intended to do more .. to American cities. He had already done .. Cole .. Mogadishu .. on-going threat .. homeland .. Our military ended. There are others and our military ened Saddam Hussein and Qaddafi dunfore .. one by one ..... complacent civilians takes it for granted.. assume .. leeberals bewail and whine ..avoid the job .. not all of us are leeberals PS have you noticed how now it is PC to use Usama instead of Osama .. because it sounds to much like you-know-who .. and his middle name is that of another guy.. .. gosh you gotta be PC huh?

May 5, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • RightturnClyde

I appreciate the list and I copied it .. like the E9's used to say " be careful of dem words when dere's dames around..."

May 5, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • LeftclipTurn

Perhaps, CNN is for Ahteists.

May 6, 2011 at 8:43 am |
  14. JohnR

"A war on terror is not about capturing people and killing them. It’s about capturing the hearts of a people and changing them." And one way to win hearts and minds is to destroy seductive illusions like the one that held that Bin Laden was directly protected from the Americans by Allah. The longer he stayed out there, the more seductive his myth became. For him to die at the hands of American military is just the sort of comeuppance that is sometimes needed to deflate dangerous myths. Sometimes, the enemy simply has to be defeated.

May 5, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  15. Reality

A partial review of our War on Terror and Horror for perusal by Karen Spears Zacharias:

-Operation Iraqi Freedom- The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,481 and 924 died in non-combat, 99,901 – 109,143 Iraqi civilians killed as of 3/3/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

– Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan: US troops 1,141 killed in action, 242 killed in non-combat situations as of 03/03/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror,

– Sa-dd-am, his sons and major he-nchmen have been deleted. Sa-dd-am's bravado about WMD was one of his major mistakes. Kuwait was saved.

– Iran is being been contained. (beside containing the Sunni-Shiite civil war in Baghdad, that is the main reason we are in Iraq. And yes, essential oil continues to flow from the region.)

– North Korea is still u-ncivil but is contained.

– Northern Ireland is finally at peace.

– The Jews and Palestinians are being separated by walls. Hopefully the walls will follow the 1948 UN accords. Unfortunately the Annapolis Peace Conference was not successful. And unfortunately the recent events in Gaza has put this situation back to “squ-are one”. And this significant stupidity is driven by the mythical foundations of both religions!!!

– – Fa-na–tical Islam has basically been contained to the Middle East but a wall between India and Pakistan would be a plus for world peace. Ditto for a wall between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

– Timothy McVeigh was exe-cuted. Terry Nichols will follow soon.

– Eric Ru-dolph is spending three life terms in pri-son with no par-ole.

– Jim Jones, David Koresh, Kaczynski, the "nuns" from Rwanda, and the KKK were all dealt with and either eliminated themselves or are being punished.

– Islamic Sudan, Dar-fur and So-malia are still terror hot spots.
    – The terror and tor-ture of Muslims in Bosnia, Kosovo and Kuwait were ended by the proper application of the military forces of the USA and her freedom-loving friends. Ra-dovan Karadzic was finally captured on 7/23/08 and is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violations of the law of war – charges related to the 1992-1995 civil war that followed Bosnia-Herzegovina's secession from Yugoslavia.

– the bloody terror brought about by the Ja-panese, Na-zis and Co-mmunists was with great difficulty eliminated by the good guys.

– Bin Laden was executed for crimes against humanity on May 1, 2011

May 5, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  16. Abdur Tawfeeq

no his body wasnt taking care of they dump his body in the ocean do u really think in your mind that they EASY osama bint laden body in a ocean ? and then he wasnt arm or wasnt a treath why did they shot him why they didnt capture him becasue it was not a capture mission it was a shot to kill mission

May 5, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • CatholicMom

When a mission takes place, there is much that is considered…many alternate possibilities and means to the end….there is no need to wait to see if the terrorist tries to pull the rip cord for the bomb that could be that blows up the whole compound…his family and everyone else…or wait to see if he pulls a gun from hiding…no, it was handled optimally. As it was…it was the end for a coward.

May 5, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • if its right for you to do its right for us to do

He was shown far more respect then many islamic fighters have shown capture non islamic people. Are military behaved towards him far better then he and his followers behaved towards any non islamic. As for why he was not captured I don't know for sure. I also don't care he got what he deserved the world is better with out him. Even the islamic leaders both political and religious are not contesting that. I respect islam and those that follow it but they have to respect other too this man did not he lived by the sword he died by the sword doesn't the Quran say that is right? Why are you defending him he killed millions on muslims to? He was a coward and a liar he did for his on gain and no one else's you know this is true.

May 5, 2011 at 11:53 am |
    • Artist

Abdur, You really have no clue. Where were you when he killed innocent humans? Where were you when his group cut the heads off of live people? S T F U moron. If it was me I would have fed his body to the pigs. Collected the crap and used it to grow a tree then cut it down and make toilet paper and use is to wipe my %$$. He got way more respect in his burial than he ever deserved.

May 5, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • Artist

ps and yes he was a coward and no soldier or warrior. He was simply pathetic.

May 5, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • tallulah13

I think it's very funny that you call him osama BINT laden, since "bint" means girl or daughter.

May 5, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
  17. Dale Dreggon

Those are simple, happy thoughts, Ms. Zacharias. However, simple solutions will NOT work in the fractious Middle East. The Middle East is not a single enti ty. Islam is not a single-minded faith. Help the Sunni and the Shi'a will hate you. Help one tribal unit and another will hate you. Try to help both and neither will go along with you.

If it were not for oil, we would leave that divided hostile region totally alone, like we do in Africa – for good or for evil. There have been too many years of supporting the wrong people over there, and damage like that does not get undone quickly

May 5, 2011 at 10:15 am |
  18. Abdur Tawfeeq

I Would Like To Say Osama Bin Mohammed Bin Awad Bin Laden Had A Wrongful Buried And Was Not Permissionable In The Islamic Faith. His Body Was Suppose To Be Wash By A Muslim Men And Wrap With A 3 Shrouds Not A Sheet! Then A Muslim Men ,Imam ,Shiek,Amair,Or a Muslim Leader Or knowledgeable Muslim Had To Preform And Lead The Janzah Prayer
    Osama Bint Laden Was Suppose To Be Buried In The Ground Not The Ocean It Is "Only"Premissioable To Buried The Body In The Ocean If He Pass Away In The Ocean Then In The Muslim Faith You Have To Be Buried 24-72 Hours Of The Death Why Was It So A Rush To Dump Him In The Sea? Then Us America People Are On Tv Dancing And Drinking And Partying Over His Death But We Should Show Some Respect For His Kids Who Did Not follow In His Footsteps ! Then The Rumor About Osama Going To Hell Thats Only Up To God

God Bless America

May 5, 2011 at 10:12 am |
    • CatholicMom

We are not guilty of burying him incorrectly; his human body was given respect. We did not take his body and drag it through the town square or behead him in front of a camera to show the world ‘we can do it’.
      Our troops have done their jobs with utmost care; our prayers must continue for peace to the world and for the safety of the innocent.

May 5, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • if its right for you to do its right for us to do

your suggestion that we should show respect for his kids would hold mor clout if the people living in islamic nations had showed us respect when he attack us 10 years ago. I recall people in islamic nations all over the world dancing in the street, burning our flag, saying God is great,saying death to America. So you have no right to complain that we danced and cheered at the death of someone who atttacked us, when so many of you danced and cheered at the deaths of our innocent women and children in those towers. In short you danced first now its our turn at least we actually picked a villians death to dance for.

May 5, 2011 at 11:44 am |
    • paul

dust to dust. ashes to ashes.

May 5, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • qmcs

All religion is a curse. Religion made bin Laden and the crusaders, and the Spanish Inquisition. Bibles were at hand on the trail of tears and so on and so on...it is all a load of crap

May 6, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • GI JOHN

Actually Abdur, with all due respect, Osama will be in hell. There is only one way to Heaven... Jesus Christ. Osama was no follower of Christ.

May 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • Bill

Abdur,

It is clear by your post that you used a translation tool and I suspect that you are from an Arabic speaking country. It is not our responsibility to treat Osama bin Laden's body in a manner that is strict compliance with Islamic law. It IS our responsibility to treat the remains in a respectful manner. Killing bin Laden, and burying him at sea was respectful and having his body washed and covered with a shroud and Islamic words said before his burial shows a respect for Islam far beyond what would be expected for an apostate like bin Laden.

Now, if the U.S. SEALs had captured him alive and then made a video of bin Laden shackled and kneeling while president Obama read an anti-Islamic speech and then proceeded to cut bin Laden's head off and then cast his body and head on the side of some road, then we would be guilty of being as barbaric as the Al Qaeda animals that we are at war with.

May 15, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  19. Dr. Oscar T. Moore

Why is the dia keep taking about Ossama? You want to make a martir out of this monster. Enought allready. Quit it.

May 5, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  20. jefe

peace that surpasses understanding...

May 5, 2011 at 9:32 am |