home
RSS
May 6th, 2011

Faith unshaken by tornado

By Aaron Brodie, CNN

Tuscaloosa, Alabama (CNN) - The sound of someone playing a piano drew us in to the Alberta Baptist Church in Tuscaloosa, two days after a devastating tornado ripped a deadly gash that will scar this Southern town for years to come.

I had been looking for a high spot where I could to shoot a panoramic image of the endless landscape of destruction, but I turned back toward the church with CNN's Wayne Drash to see where the music was coming from.

Alberta Baptist seemed to have fared better than many of the buildings in the immediate area. It was an oddity in this neighborhood, because it was both standing and clearly recognizable. Whatever had been next door was neither.

The church was hardly unscathed, though. Much of the roof was missing. Stained glass windows were blown out. And the facade of the main chapel was reduced to a pile of rubble spread across the front sidewalk like a bag of building blocks.

Inside the church, we met a small group of members who had come to witness firsthand the challenge that lay ahead. A young girl stopped playing the piano as her mother began to tell us how the building had recently been renovated.

I started taking photos of mangled metal and shattered sheetrock, all covered with a thick dusting of insulation that made you itch just by looking at it. As I was about to leave, I met Joe Southern, a member of Alberta Baptist for 45 years.

Joe lives in a part of Tuscaloosa that was spared the monster's wrath. Yet he decided to make the trek across town through military checkpoints, driving down streets littered with debris into what can easily be described as a war zone, to see the fate of his religious home.

In this video interview, Joe explains that while "we've lost a building," the church is more than just bricks and mortar: The church is the people. He says the congregation will rebuild, and that the tornado and its aftermath have only served to strengthen his belief in God.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Alabama • Baptist • Church • Houses of worship

1. RKW

If the tornado missed the church it would be a "miracle" and an act of God. If it hits a church, then it's God testing your faith. This circular logic is why faith is so appealing. You don't have to think that hard.

May 6, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Artist

Faith allows the god to have zero accountability.

May 6, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Stephen

"Faith allows the god to have zero accountability."

God doesn't need accountability and especially to humans! There is absolutely no way a person can hold God accountable. That just shows you don't understand what you are talking about.

May 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Cal

What's irritating about this article (and others like it) is the underlying assumption that continuing to believe in and trust God after a disaster is some kind of character marker.

May 6, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Cal

Oh Stephen... you are debating above your pay grade. Anyone (including the deity of the month) who has no accountability for outcomes cannot simultaneously claim credit for them when convenient (thank God for a sunny day! hmmm thank God for a tornado???).

That just shows you don't understand what you are talking about, not the least of which is the definition of 'accountable'.

May 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm |

Stephen

"Faith allows the god to have zero accountability."

-------–
      Actually, your post shows me I do. You really do not see nor understand what I am talking about. Your programming does not allow you to see beyond blind faith. You do not allow yourself to challenge beyond what you are told and what men have written. This is cult like I and I do understand why you think the way you do.

May 6, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  2. Jen

To those who say christian are ignorant. Not all christians think the earth is 7,000 years old or oppose the evolution theory in school. I personally have my doubs in my own faith. I live in Alabama. Along with the tragedy across this state I am dealing with a difficult personal loss and am left, like so many, asking God why. But maybe before you call it a big book of myths and fairytales, give it a read. Look it up and you will find out that, not only is it one of the greatest works of literature ever, but also one of the most acurate history books ever. Those mythical people and places actually existed, and those events that may seem like fairytales to you, they actually occured. And also, i honestly believe that HUMAN BEINGS (those with true moral values), no mztter where they are from or what they call him, will find on judgement day that God is one and the same. Water is, after all, water no matter what word you use for it.

May 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Artist

Jen, I am sorry about what is going on in Alabama. I have read the bible and used to be a christian. Heck I even wanted to be a preacher and was working towards that. The reality is a person is not going to change because of what others say. They have to make the step themselves and start asking questions. Look beyond the bible and look into the history and how it came to be ( I am not talking about taking advice from your church leadership...do yur own homework). Look at other religions myths etc prior to the bible and even after. Start to understand what is really happening and what has happened in our human history. Myself, this was no easy task and probably one of the har dest things I have ever done in my life. Breaking the cycle of fe ar and faith is no easy task when you are ha r dw ired to think and feel a certain way. I also understand some people simply need faith to cope with life. We are all different. Serious time over, now I will get back to being a smart a r s e.

May 6, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • K

-But maybe before you call it a big book of myths and fairytales, give it a read-

Actually, I've read where studies and surveys and such have shown that atheists are actually more knowledgeable about the Bible than your average Christian.

Also, I am from Alabama as well, and I am very sorry for your loss.

May 6, 2011 at 5:23 pm |

K

Also, I am from Alabama as well, and I am very sorry for your loss.
      ...
      Not sure if you are talking to me. If you are, then please read my post again. There was a time I was quite familiar with the bible because I was going to be a preacher. However, since choosing not to be a christian, there was no need to remember let alone keep one around. It really isn't relevent to me. It is only relevent to believers who choose to accept what men have written and chosen to be the word from a god. Otherwise only relevent in their world. I do consider myself agnostic and if there is a god he/she/it can talk to me personally if they wish. I do not accept what man claims to be from god. And yes, I used to think god talked to me persey when I was a christian and even spoke in tongues lol. What a trip it was....lol

May 6, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • LetsThink123

@Jen
      you said, "Those mythical people and places actually existed, and those events that may seem like fairytales to you, they actually occured. "
      So adam and eve actually occurred? Noah actually built an ark and put ALL the animals on the earth on it? People speak different langauges now because god didnt want them to reach him when building the tower of babel? Those things actually occurred? wow!

May 11, 2011 at 10:34 am |
  3. RichardSRussell

Well, that's the nature of faith: impervious to evidence or reason.

It's the exact reverse of science. With faith, you start with the conclusions and go searching for supporting evidence, rejecting anything that might conflict with your pre-established belief system. In many ways, it's like a brain parasite.

May 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Richard
      I think Robert Heinlein said it best:
      "The great trouble with religion–any religion–is that the religionist, having accepted certain propositions by faith, cannot thereafter judge these propositions by evidence. One may bask at the warm fire of faith or choose to live in the bleak uncertainty of reason–but one cannot have both."

May 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  4. Michael

First, I rail against religion because it affects (oops, infects) the political system that governs my family, the school system that educates my family, and the balkanization of the little rock on which we live. When your ridiculous faith gets out of my way, I will gladly leave it alone. Second, I will continue my little fight against the bane of god belief because people actually DO change their mind once they open it. The fastest growing population in the US is non-believers. Do you think that's because we're procreating so fast (no, we're actually too moral for that). Consequently, and rationally (try that on once), it must be because people ARE changing their minds in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Don't give up the fight. Reason.

May 6, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Chanselor Jenkins

what evidence?

Yes evolution is true.
      yes science can explain a lot of thing that we did not understand until the recient past.

But science ca not and does not prove there is no God.

May 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm |

Chanselor Jenkins

what evidence?

Yes evolution is true.

But science ca not and does not prove there is no God.
      ...............
      It cannot prove that dragons, fairies and Trolls do not exist eather. It cannot prove anything that does not exists, does not exist. The absence of is the base line of non existance. The burden of proof is upon the person and their thought up idea to prove it exists in the first place. So cience establishes that there is no direct evidence, now lets see the believers of the respective religions proove otherwise. No assumptions, just direct evidence.

May 6, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Hitch

'But science ca not and does not prove there is noGod.'

Science doesn’t have to disprove it to show that the hypothesis of gods existence is incorrect in part or in whole. For instance, you mention that in earlier time’s humanity lacked the knowledge & the method (science) to obtain said knowledge about many things that today most people take for granted. In the past many confounding & unknowns were simply supplanted by the pious with the ever convenient, ‘god did it’. Questions about the cosmos, our solar system, geology, health, weather, medicine, birth, death, bio-diversity, physics & on & on no longer require a supernatural ‘god did it’ answer, they’ve been replaced by a more accurate, testable natural answer.

Consequently, as the mystical & supernatural are replaced with natural answers which provide actual verifiable benefits to humanity the domain for god(s) is reduced until where it’s left as some abstract, existing only prior to our universe but not really intervening in any form or fashion (deistic). Far from having to disprove anything, it's made the concept utterly superfluous.

May 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  5. JJ

With an imaginary friend like that, who needs an imaginary enemy named satan?

May 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  6. dan smith

Catholisms-created by Rome, Church of England-created by Henry the eighth. Judaism-created by the Isrealities,Islam created by Muhammad. Rha created by the Egyptian Pharaohs, I can continue but I believe I've more than made my point that religions were created by governments and not vise versa.

May 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • airwx

@ Dan Smith... you are partially correct, but missed the fact that Catholisism existed external to the Roman Government for several hundred years, that Judaism founded its own goverment, not the other way around, and that Muhamad founded his religion before forming a government. You wre right on the Church of England, however. The Egyptian question is ineresting. At one point the Pharaohs led that religion, but at another, the priests forced on later Pharaohs....

May 6, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • Blake, da Bozo

.....oh, VERY "ineresting". I've never heard of "Catholisism".

May 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • airwx

@ Blake...sorry, I was distracted as I was typing...but you get the drift...

May 6, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  7. airwx

It is sad to see how people on both sides of this subject can be disrespectful to people they don't know who hold a differing postion.

May 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Rogue

@airwx – And if a differing position deserves disrespect?

May 7, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  8. js

I am from Birmingham...I am LITERALLY sickened and disgusted by some of these comments. Instead of using our suffering, and using a group of people's faith (which is LITERALLY ALL SOME HAVE LEFT giving them some kind of hope) to spur a useless theological debate, why don't you do something more conducive with your time like getting off your a** and your computer and come down here and help us pick up. There are suburbs not even ten minutes away from me that have been wiped off the map. Tuscaloosa looks like a war zone. So many small towns in my state have been destroyed, lives have been losts, and thousands have lost everything they've ever owned.

May 6, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • Godless

"I am LITERALLY sickened and disgusted by some of these comments..."

So you read these comments and vomitted? Or do you not know what literally means?

May 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • SeanNJ

1) I'd have to travel a long way.
      2) You're 10 minutes away and you're yelling at us for not helping?

May 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • js

@Godless @SeanNJ Do you not realize people have died? Or do you just not care? I have been volunteering all week and am going back out tomorrow, then taking another three day break. Would it help if I told you that I’m a prochoice, pro gay rights, card carrying liberal who hasn’t been to church in ten years?? (Yes we do in fact have liberals in the south). Lives and families have been destroyed (LITERALLY – is that a better use of the word Godless??). I hope that neither of you have to see destruction like this in your lifetime. The insensitivity I’m seeing in these comments is incredible.

May 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Obed

Did you pray to Lord about it?
      Lord says : Isaiah 41:10
      "10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
      I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand".

Do not be tired.. but pray Lord will be your help. You can do nothing without Him.

May 6, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • SeanNJ

People die every day, some more tragically than others. Do I care? I suppose I do in a sort of detached, uninvested way. Before you decide to vilify me for that, I would suggest that if humans experienced identical levels of anguish for every human death regardless of familiarity with the victims, we'd all be incapable of functioning.

So is it a shame that some people were killed in the storms? Yes. Did I know any of them? No. Forgive me if it doesn't have the same impact on me as it does on you.

May 6, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • avrwebguy

JS. I find myself wondering how many in the Ninth Ward of New Orleans that you helped out? Just be glad you don't live there because they are still waiting for help...... On another note, I do empathize with the people of Alabama and the rest of the southern states that were impacted by the tornadoes, and other incidents. Nobody knows the devastation that is left after such a disaster. I myself live in Florida now and have seen my share of the results of natural disasters. I hope that you and yours remain safe and truly hope that you all make a full recovery.

May 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • js

Avrwebguy...half of my family is from the Mississippi gulf coast and lost their homes from Katrina...they came to stay with my family here for 8 weeks following the devastation. When I said that I am sickened by the comments, I meant that I am sickened by the comments that I have seen that vilify the south and are from people who obviously have HUGE misconceptions of the people in my state and the surrounding states. I also think it's worthy of noting, that while I'm not a big Christian, the majority of the groups helping people here are Christian-based organizations and churches. When 9/11 happened, I don't remember anyone from my state (conservatives or liberal) saying things about NYC in the same manner that some of my so-called blue state "bleeding heart" liberal brothers and sisters have been saying about us. It's insensitive and it's too soon....

May 6, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • K

– I would suggest that if humans experienced identical levels of anguish for every human death regardless of familiarity with the victims, we'd all be incapable of functioning.-

Dude you stole that line from House, haha....not that I necessarily disagree with it....

May 6, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  9. Mark

Faith is going to be the downfall of humanity unless we as a race start to treat religion and all it's BS as as nothing but the greatest scam that humanity has ever seen. It does nothing but breed intolerance and hatred of other people who don't believe as they do.

May 6, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Dan

LOL..Your brand of hatred breeeds intolerance as well and is just as toxic. Hypocrite.

May 6, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  10. Ian

When it's this easy to mock someone's irrational beliefs, it isn't as much fun.

May 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  11. Joop Kaashoek

Religion makes people more prone to follow authority, so governments love it and use it.

May 6, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Alyssa

and less likely to question that authority.

May 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  12. dave

To Doc Vestibule,
    Don't trust me or any man about May 21 2011 being the beginning of God's judgment. You must check it out in the bible. You can go to wecanknow.com to find out where this was taken from the bible.

By the way, did you know in the book 1994? there was a big question mark that meaning it might not happen? Did you also know in the book 1994? that 2011 was mentioned 13 times?

But anyway, today is still the day of salvation, one can still cry out to God for mercy, who can tell, maybe God would have mercy. Come May 21 2011 the door will be shut, salvation will have come to an end. There will be five months of hell upon this earth, then on October 21 this world will be destroyed forever more.

Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Prepare to meet thy God.
    Dave

May 6, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • roumen

And we should love some @hole because he will destroy the world? Stockholm syndrome anyone?

May 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • MACT

So, back up your words with action. Give *everything* you own away, since you are sure you will have no need of it. If you have $1 to your name on May 20th, then you a re a hypocrite.

May 6, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Dave\“Children, it is the last hour; and just as you heard that antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have appeared; from this we know that it is the last hour.”
      —1 John 2:18
      Christians have been waiting on tenterhooks for the Second Coming since the Bible itself was written.
      Many have prophesied the exact time of date of His return and ALL have been wrong.
      George Rapp said it would be September 15th, 1829.
      William Miller predicted October 22, 1844. Jesus’ failure to arrive is known as “The Great Disappointment”. Many of his disillusioned followers went on the found the 7th Day Adventist Church, who are still patiently awaiting His return.
      Charles Russell, 1st President of the Watchtower Society told his fellow Jehovah’s Witnesses that Jesus would be back in 1874.
      Rudolf Steiner maintained that from 1930 onwards, Jesus would grant certain people psychic powers to enable them to witness his presence in the “etheric plane”.
      Herbert Armstrong, Pastor General of the Worldwide Church of God said 1975.
      Bill Maupin managed to convince his followers to sell all of their worldly goods in preparation for Jesus’ return on June 28th, 1981.
      Benjamin Crème stated that on June 21st, 1982 Christ would make a worldwide television announcement.
      Mark Blitz, Pastor of El Shaddai Ministries says it would be September 30th, 2008
      Jerry Falwell said it’d happen between 1999 and 2009.
      Harold Camping is telling everyone that the Rapture will happen May 21, 2011 after failing in his first predicted date of 1994.

Conversely, many believe He’s all ready come in the form of Sun Myung Moon, Emanuel Swedenborg, Baha u llah, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, David Koresh, Hailie Selassie, John Thom, Arnold Potter, William Davies, George roux, Ernest Norman, Krishna Venta, Ahn Sahng-Hong, Jim Jones, Mashall Applewhite, Hulon Mitchell, Wayne Bent, Ariffin Mohammed, Mitsuo Matayoshi, Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda, Inri Cristo, Thomas Provenzano, David Icke, Shoko Asahara, Hogan Fukinaga, Marina Tsvigun or Sergei Troop.

It would appear that the much lauded Jewish carpenter has been thoroughly dead for 2000 years and will remain so.

May 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Godless

Dammit! My vacation starts on the 23rd!

May 6, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Peace2All

@roumen

LMAO...!!! Re: "Stockholm Sydrome anyone ?" LOL !!!

Peace...

May 6, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Peace2All

@dave

Hey -dave...

And... you know this *exactly* how...? And... should the world 'not' come to an end on May 21st, what will you say then...?

Respectfully,

Peace...

May 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • NoOneKnows

The Day and Hour Unknown (Matthew 24: 36-44)
      36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[f] but only the Father. 37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.
      42 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

May 6, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • CalTruth

bible was compiled by paul only from contribution of 4 (mark, john, luke etc) so called followers instead of original 12 speaks volume...They never believed that he was god or prophet..otherwise they would have carried the cross with jesus as he complained as per the bible..anyway,When xian bible was compiled..we didn't have gregorian calendar.....even jesus said that he will come back in the life time of his followers...his followers not only died but also turned to dust...further, it was egyptian practice to preserve the body because without body you cannot go to heaven or hell..If you loose a limb then you are without limb even when you go to hell or heaven...thats one of the reason mideastern based religion like xian, judaism, islam go extra mile to get all the body part during burial...But truth is that body can be preserved for so long...Even bible says...it is better to cut the hand that sinned and go to heaven instead of suffering in hell because of it....Attachment to body for eternal life is nothing but joke...Since we are moving to Era of Aquarian, I do see xian getting educated and dumping the fake beliefs in favor of truth and love...

May 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@NoOneKnows: Matthew 24: 36-44 (abridged)

If we tell everyone that god said he won't announce it, we never have to answer for the fact that the guy we said was coming back still hasn't shown up yet. That should hold 'em for a couple thousand years. Surely we'll have thought of something else by then.

May 6, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
  13. Cal

Why would you want us to repent if we are fulfilling prophecy?

May 6, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  14. Thank GOD for His grace

35“The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand. 36“He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”
    John 3:35-36

I too used to question this but I thank God every day that it was revealed to me. Submitting to Jesus Christ is the void in all of our lives and I can't tell you enough how your life will change when you stop your selfish ways and become obedient to him. No amount of selfish pleasure can come close to this peace of knowing you have eternal life.

Today could be your last hour, day, minute alive. Repent, believe and trust in Jesus Christ. It will be too late when you die. You will bow down to Jesus and proclaim him as Lord but will stay alive in hell. I don't want any of you to experience this. Anyone that claims to be a Christian and does not believe this is not a believer in Jesus Christ. Read the bible (God's Word) don't take my word or any others.

Each one of you that posts against Jesus Christ are continuing to fullfill prohecy. I am praying for each of you that you repent and turn away from your sin and surrender your life to Christ.

No one is good in God's eyes, that is why he sent his Son take away our sin. It really is that simple. God can read your heart. he is reading it right this second. Repent, I beg you.

May 6, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Artist

Sorry but I have been down that road until I realized it was a delusion.

May 6, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • roumen

"No one is good in god's eyes." And we should thank him for that and bow to him? Because he hates us? Only a very depraved and sick mind can come to such conclusion.

May 6, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Alyssa

Why do believers always assume that atheists are selfish and depraved? Isn't it more depraved to suggest that the only keeping you from committing immoral acts is a sky daddy who there is no evidence for?

May 6, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • CalTruth

If God wrote the 10 commandment then why Moses threw it out of anger and broke it..Was he not afraid of God.. Did he took too much time because he was the only guy chiseling 10 commandment on the rock that he had to cut and shape before writing on it...
      Think about it....Did he not use the intimate knowledge of the palace where he grew up since childhood to spread the plagues?
      Judaism that is Old testament proves the New testament is wrong and foolish...If people follow actual Bible (not the revised version for fooling the educated mass) word by word then you can experience Mideastern medieval world and culture in 21st century...

May 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  15. Buddy

Stop believing in stuff everyone. Have ideas instead. They're much safer and easier to work with.

May 6, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Artist

Slow down Buddy you are asking WAYYYY too much of these people. You dont want them to blow their minds.

May 6, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Stephen

The definition of idea is any conception existing in the mind as a result of mental understanding, awareness, or activity. Many Christians have a mental understanding and awareness of God using the Church for this activity. God does not reveal himself to someone who has no faith. It's not til you demonstrate that faith they you will gain the understanding and awareness of his presence in you life.

May 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm |

Stephen

--------–
      Now that is a line a crap lol

May 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Stephen

"Now that is a line a crap lol"

Use a dictionary it might help, I applied it to that.

You are the one that is full of crap, lost in your own low self esteem tying to belittle others to make yourself feel better about your own miserable life. Christ can fill the whole in your heart that is lacking the love it needs.

May 6, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Alyssa

So Stephen, you're essentially saying that you have to believe in something without evidence before evidence will be presented to you. Imagine if we ran our courts like that. No evidence required to indict somebody. The evidence will be made plain to us as soon as we convict him.

May 6, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  16. NoFool

It's amazing what brainwashing and indoctrination can do to the mind. godisimaginarydotcom could really be a help to people like this guy to show them how they have been completely taken advantage of by "religion". No "benevolent" god would do something like this to people who revered and worshiped him. I figured out in my teen years that it all makes no sense whatsoever and "blind faith" is a ridiculous way to live your life. Unfortunately, some people will never get it.

May 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • Artist

What is also amazing is some are adults. They scoff other religions as false and people believing in an imaginary god but their god is real. REALLY??? They cannto see outside of their own cult or beyond it. Actually I find christians facinating at times that they can be so delusional.

May 6, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Artist

Trust me that some on here that post do not want to change you. You guys are worth for more as entertainment. Granted we don't lions anymore, but there are other ways for entertainment value. "Look I got a live one here! He is even holding a cross in the air. Poke him a little....oooh there he goes again."

May 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • MrHanson

Wow I must be pretty delusional then if I don't believe that I or my loved ones are just lucky cosmic accidents. Or that I don't believe in a purposeless universe. I didn't realize my Mother who just died of cancer was also mentally ill for having faith and hope. And do you realize that famous people were delusional also? The wright brothers! Luny! They actually beleived in god! Charles Babbage? Luny! Michael Faraday? Crazy! Gregor Mendel, absolutely nuts. JRR Tolkien, Isaac Newton, William Thomson Kelvin, etc... All crazy idiots! I just wish all people could be totally sane, non-bigoted, loving people like Richard Dawkins or P.Z. Myers. I guess I better check in now.

May 6, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@MrHanson: You said, "Wow I must be pretty delusional then if I don't believe that I or my loved ones are just lucky cosmic accidents."

Yes you are.
      It really is that black and white.
      I'm sorry that you're not as important as you think you deserve to be.
      My condolences on the loss of your mother.

May 6, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  17. xray

if god loves you how come he sends the tornadoes in th first place?

or is that th work of th devil?

May 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • CalTruth

Only for people whose heart has no love for non xian...
      It is god alright..but punishing whom...Bible belt is getting the brunt who keep spreading hatred for other faiths..who don't interfere in others beliefs...Bible belt is getting punished for spreading hatred against children of God (soldiers (non christians and/or gays), non americans etc), converting people by tricks and sorceries, interfering in other country in the name of religion etc...list is endless....Similarly punishment is eternal...cycle is turning...wait and watch..

May 6, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  18. Rich

Religion is delusional

May 6, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • Artist

No kidding lol. One good thing about the Belief Blog is it gives us a glimpse at the delsuional. Seriosuly it is like we are taking a field trip to the mental ward. lol Hey look a twitcher!!!!!!

May 6, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • MrHanson

Wow I must be pretty mentally ill then if I don't believe that I or my loved ones are just lucky cosmic accidents. I didn't realize my Mother who just died of cancer was also mentally ill for having faith. And do you realize that famous people were mentally ill also? The wright brothers! Luny! They actually beleived in god! Charles Babbage? Luny! Michael Faraday? Crazy! Gregor Mendel, absolutely nuts. JRR Tolkien, Isaac Newton, William Thomson Kelvin, etc... All crazy idiots! I just wish all people could be totally sane, non-bigoted, loving people like Richard Dawkins or P.Z. Myers.

May 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Stephen

MrHanson don't forget Martin Luther King and all the great things he did for our country!

May 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • MrHanson

Ah yes, Martin Luther King. A great man. But he also was mentally ill for beleiving in God. Wait a minute, he was a Christian?!? I thought only white, racist, redneck, ignorant, uneducated, KKK loving, American people were Christians.

May 6, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • JohnR

MLK was a great leader. He was also a christian. He was also an incorrigible womanizer. People are complex. You can be admirable and unadmirable things at the same time. Neither his political leadership nor his womanizing define wholly who he was or how we should evaluate his christian beliefs, let alone validate or invalidate them. Those have to be evaluated in their own right.

May 6, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • TD

Religion is delusional! And death! But a relationship is LIFE!

May 6, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • NoFool

@JohnR: Yuo are correct, but in the sick environment of Political Correctness we live in, too many aren't satisfied until they put someone in a sharply delineated box with blinders on it. Pretty sad statement about our society.

May 6, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  19. Cal

See that's great marketing! If you survive some horrible event... praise be to God! If you don't survive... dude, you're getting a Dell! Oh wait, I mean you're going to heaven... praise to be God!

The only thing I hope is that the whole God-thing is just willful self-delusion to get people through the day, rather than people truly being incapable of simple thought and analyses processes.

May 6, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Dan

Or perhaps your denial is a self delusion to get you through the night. There is no way that you can possibly know anything about another person's midset.

May 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • NoFool

Dan said: "There is no way that you can possibly know anything about another person's midset." That may be, but it's a lot easier to discern that belief in god is nothing more than a fairy tale, used as a support system by those easily influenced and controlled, who do not have the mental fort–itude to deal with the world and the realities and events encountered during their time on earth without some mythological escape process in place as a relief valve. Not everyone needs the extra help.

May 6, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • TD

I'll bet you hope it is self-delusion! If it is I'm alright! If it's not I'm still alright but you are not!

May 6, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Hitch

‘If it is I'm alright! If it's not I'm still alright but you are not!’

Oh dear, Pascals wager. Nothing says you haven’t thought much about your god or your religion when one uses that as an arguing point.

What you’re essentially arguing is that your god wouldn’t know the difference between sincere belief & hedge betting belief to ensure the believer will get to some imagined fantasy land. Or that if he does know he simply doesn’t care or consider it nearly as important as other moral choices one may make in life. Even the wager sounds quite huckterish, sort of a carnival style ‘hey what have you got to lose?’.

To make matters worse, to those who cannot say they believe as they have serious doubts based on experience & lacking evidence, your god then says he’ll then send them to be punished eternally? What is moral about that? Worse still, what if you’re wrong in believing in yhwh this whole time & you should have been paying homage to Baal, Ra, or some other unknown god?

May 6, 2011 at 3:53 pm |

Hitch,
      You don't know anything about me or my beliefs! I spent many years is the party scene, I know what it is like to be alone and judged by your peers and family members. But the day Christ came into my life that is when I started really living! It hasn't always been an easy road but that is not what is promised, His peace and strength are there to carry us through the difficult times that He knows all too well. He's been through it all and knows how to get anyone TRULY trusting in Him through anything life throws at them. You mention people looking to God and not finding Him, I’m afraid that only happens when we do not come to Him as He has directed in His Word, and when we do not come on His terms. People think they can come to God the way they want to and God should just be okay with it, it didn’t work for Cain in the Bible or anyone since Cain. He is the Holy God and we are the sinful man, (like it or not it is the truth!) There is only one way to God and it is through God the Son Jesus Christ, and you can only come to Him on the grounds of honest confession of our sin, and trusting completely in the merit of His shed blood to ask for forgiveness and eternal life. In true repentance you come to Jesus you WILL find Him and all that He is. But most people that come to Him and don’t seem to be found of Him are mostly just looking for some fire insurance, They don’t want God to make any changes to their life or correct any behavior, and that is why they do not find Him, or be found of Him which is really the right way to say it. I had no clauses in the contract when I called out to God in Jesus’ Name, and He rescued me and has made my life a real life! I was once voted in high school most unlikely to succeed and probably be dead in my 20’s. And though I’m not a wealthy man by world’s standards I have more than I need, and everything I’ve ever really wanted. So if it turns out that God is not real, (I don’t believe it for a second) I have lost nothing but have had a good life! But, if the TRUTH of God is what He says it is… I am even better! But those who really do not want Him more than this world and its sin will not be okay… and it is a million times worse than not okay! I will pray for you today!

May 6, 2011 at 6:14 pm |

TD

-----
      That is a solid foundation of faith right there folks

May 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |

Artist,
      I think you need to hit refresh and look up one. I prayed for you today, no real prayer is a wasted thing!

May 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
    • Dan

TD – You know how in A Beautiful Mind, the professor is imagining practically everything? Well....that's you. Nobody CAME INTO your life. You're imaging a feeling of somebody coming into your life. Now if you want to discuss how you CHANGED YOUR WAYS, that's one thing. But nobody came into your life. People are saying all these things to you and you believe it. I'm glad you've cleaned up your life, but really.....an imaginary friend? Just stop. Reality is here....waiting for you. It wants you badly.

May 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |

Yo Danny,
      If that will make it easier for you to sleep at night good luck with that, I've been walking with Jesus for 26 years, you have no idea what you’re talking about! But I understand why you have to keep on saying things like this, that's how we fight our conscience. I wil pray for you today bro!

May 6, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • Dan

Boy I am SO EXCITED TD! You are PRAYING FOR ME!!! Wow! As we all know, prayer totally works. Ok there TD.
      And your argument about me sleeping at night makes zero sense. I sleep just fine knowing that the world IS what it IS. You aren't walking with Jesus anymore than I'm walking with Albert Einstein. They're dead. Deceased. Gone. You're not walking with anybody. Again, I'm glad you're happy with your life. That's great. But I just wish you'd believe in YOURSELF. And reality. Believing in ghosts, goblins and fairies can't possibly be a good thing. Trust in truth. Provable science. Reality. Not fantasy.

May 6, 2011 at 6:33 pm |

Dan,
      I can sense that somewhere someone hurt you, there is much anger in your words. I don't have any anger in my life, I am pretty clam and at peace most of the time. If what you say is true, there is nothing for me to be worried about. However if you are wrong, you are bank forever on that you're not, if you are wrong then you will have no hope in the next life. Only one person has come back from the grave and in the book of Revelation chapter 1 He is seen holding the keys of death and of hell. You wil have to deal with Him either now as Savior, or later as judge. I allow you to make your own choice for truly it is yours. But you won't let me make mine? I am praying for you, and when He starts tweeking your little world, just know He is trying to get through to you because some Jesus freak is praying for you. And I mean it as a friend.

May 6, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
    • Dan

TD – There you go with the typical religious nut claiming the athiest is somehow angry. What you're doing is SO TYPICAL of religious nuts. I haven't been any more hurt by anyone than the usual emotions that happen in regular life. I have good parents....one died from cancer. I've had a normal life. I have a great wife and great kids. Very good friends. I'm a nice, friendly guy. And I have a great job that I really love. There are ups and downs in life all the time, but I have most certainly NOT been "hurt" by anybody because I don't believe in your fairy tales. Frankly, your assuming that is offensive.

And.....There you go again with Pascal's Wager. Everybody knows Pascal's Wager is a totally ludicrous reason for believing in religion, god, whatever. So you're saying I should believe in god JUST IN CASE he's real? Well you should live your life like that in response to everything. Cola MIGHT be cancerous, so just in case, you should never drink it. The air you breath MIGHT have radioactivity, so you shouldn't breathe it. I could go on all day. Why does this line of thinking only pertain to god?? You know why? Because it's ridiculous. It's a terrible reason to believe in anything. Besides, wouldn't god know who is faking believing and who really believes??

I love how you think asking god to TWEAK my life will actually result in something. That's really funny. You need help. You really do. You started off sounding somewhat nice, but with every message you get more looney tunes. And anger you possibly hear from athiests is us being sick of being preached to by nuts like you or having your silly ideas shoved down our throats. It's ok, we know better. You just can't help yourselves. Brainwashing from birth can do that for you.

May 6, 2011 at 7:10 pm |

Dan,
      Sorry if thinking your words seem angry offends you, I promise you I'm not reading it out of a "how to guide" to reach atheists! Pascal who? Don't know the dude. And I'm not suggesting to believe in God just in case He is real, I already said I believe and know He is real, I'm just trying to have you consider if your are wrong in your unbelief. I should have worded the last part differently, I'm asking God to work in your life to show you He is for real, but it seems if He did it wouldn't change how you believe. If someone says they do not believe in God because there is no proof that is one thing, to still not believe when He shows you proof is something completely different. But I will pray just the same.

May 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
    • Dan

TD – You can't possibly know god is real. You can't. You can believe. But you can't know. You can know that water freezes at 32 degrees, or that a saw will cut wood. You cannot know god is real.

And you could've fooled me....It sure seems you're reading out of an "argue with an athiest" handbook. It sounds like all the same typical stuff.

As for Pascal's Wager, just google it. You'll see that's what you're saying. And it's ridiculous.

Anddd......There is no possible way for god to show himself to me. Unless some crazy person materializes out of thin air and explains the deal, sorry I'm not buying it. A near miss in a traffic accident is not a sign from god. Wind blowing after I say something isn't a sign from god. Nothing is a sign from god unless you pretend it is.

May 6, 2011 at 8:47 pm |

Dan,
      I can see this is as far as words can take it, I have tried to see things from your perspective in our discussion, though other than the lasp in your direct disagreement with what I believe when you said you were glad that I have a happy life it seems you only see what you want to see. Right now there are things moving around us that we cannot see with our eyes, though if we turn on a TV with an antenna those unseen things appear on the screen, and the same for radio waves. But because you understand receivers and signals you will allow it to be true though you cannot see the waves with your eyes. If you really knew how I was years ago and how I am today, if you could have seen the whole picture you would know it was not due to myself or my own ability that brought this unseen with human eyes change to my life. I was a man going down with no life jacket and a 1000 pound weight tied to me! And to everyone and even those who have experienced this have to conclude that it is beyond what we can even fully understand or explain in simple terms, because it is much higher that we can go. And just because you cannot see it doesn't mean it is not there. It just one of those things Dan that you have to experience before you can know what it is like, and even then bro it is beyond what my simple words can convey. I only wish I could help you see what I have, knowing it as I do there is no way if you could see it that you wouldn't want it. (As far as my thinking knowing as I do tells me) It's like trying to explain the most incredible work of art to someone who is sight challenged. (Now before you get offended at this example let's just say you're smarter than me so you know I am not being arrogant, just using an example) Better yet I am sight challenged one and you are trying to explain the most incredible work of art to me, it can only go so far Dan, Though you try to use all the best words you can think of it can only go so far because I cannot see what you are explaining so I cannot feel the way it moves you. Now if I say to you, I don’t think the work of art even exists, you are making up some fairytale how would that make you feel? I could say being respectful to you that I’m sure you see what your telling me, and I’m glad for you that it has this positive effect on your life, but I cannot share this with you. At least there is an effort there. But if you could grant me the gift of sight, than I could see it the same and understand everything you are sharing and even feeling. One day I was that blind man Dan, I could only see the way to the next high, and God granted me the sight to see what was there all along but what I could not see it. That is what I will pray for you, I am just a sinner saved by Grace, I sometimes think He got a bum deal with getting me, but I'm glad He does not feel that way. People say God is not fair because there is only one way back to Him… If you understood how Holy and awesome His is you would agree with me when I say God is more than fair… It is a miracle that there is any way back to Him! If there was only one cure for cancer would people be complaining to doctors this isn’t fair! It’s too narrow minded to only have one way to be cured from cancer! No, they would be lining up for whatever cure there was that could take the death from their body so they could live! Well, there is only one cure for the cancer of the soul, I didn’t make the rules, but I tell you I want the cure for the spiritual cancer of sin that will separate me from God forever! Where do I sign! I am not going to argue with Dr. Jesus! I want the life He offers. I’m sorry you do not… Here is my life verse from the Bible Dan. 1 Timothy 1:15 .
      1 Timothy 1:15-16
      15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. NKJV
      I do believe there will be proof coming to an unbelieving world soon, (not the guy saying May 21, Jesus said no man knows the day or the hour so if someone says the day or the hour they are not listening to Jesus) if you would read the book of Revelation as a science experiment (don’t freak out on me now just consider as I have your messages) You will see “if it is true” that God Almighty says that He will show the world he is real but they will not accept Him! He brings judgment on a Christ rejecting world and man will not say uncle, they will blaspheme His name even though they now can see that all along He was there, and He was real. Proof doesn’t produce faith, but faith in God and on God’s terms will produce life! You just have to have Him give you the eyes to see. I’m not trying to convince you of anything Dan, and though other maybe misguided Christian have, No one can change anyone mind on these things. We can only describe the work of art the God has graciously given us the eyes to see… if we didn’t try it would be the most selfish act any human being could commit. I have enjoyed talking with you. Respectively Tom.

May 6, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
    • Dan

Tom – Wow that was a long message. I understand the idea of what you're saying. I do. And I'm very glad that something worked to help you clean up your life. But there are a lot of flaws with that thinking. For you, adhering to christian precepts and traditions gave you a sense of order...of meaning. Before then, you probably felt your life didn't have meaning and you were lost. In that case, religion worked for you and brought you out of the dark. For some people, they need that and it works.

However a lot of people also kick drugs and alcohol without a bunch of religious mumbo jumbo too. It's not the ONLY way. It's just what seemed to work for you. And again...your feeling inside doesn't show that god is real. It's a good feeling that I can probably just call the Placebo effect. Yes. Somebody tells you that you're taking a magic pill to have more energy...and...what do ya know...you feel like you have more energy. The placebo effect is REAL Tim. Very real.

That said, if religion helps people get their lives together, as in your case, then it's a good thing. However, religion is used for so many more things, many of them are not positive. Violence, death, discrimination...so much has been done in the name of religion. Religion is dangerous. I even think of it as The Emperor's New Clothes. Everybody acts as though they know what "knowing god" feels like. But they're the same people...and haven't met anybody. It's placebo.

Also, if it means anything I was raised jewish. And while I understand the history and culture...I'm so completely uninterested in the religion..I find it all offensive....The ancient rules, the ridiculous traditions....The guilt....It's just not for me. I'm the opposite of a blind man. I see very clearly. I do. I know I can't explain that to you either. But I have a very vast view of life and the universe. The universe is huge and our life in tiny. Very tiny. Just think back a few thousand years ago...Nobody knew WHAT lightning was or what the clouds were......They didn't even know we were on a globe. Let alone a globe that has a moon orbiting it..and we orbit the sun. Since then we've learned how a lot of things in the universe work. We don't have every single answer, but we're learning. The whole christian thing is from a time when nobody understood anything about the universe and made up stories. People always try to get noticed and be "special".......I just find it sad that so many people base their lives on this.

All that said, I'm very glad you've got your life on track years ago and wish you all the best.

May 6, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
    • TD

Dan I replied to you but I don't know if it went through, it says it is under moderation? Let me know if you see it. (if you want)

May 6, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
    • Dan

Tim – I don't see your response. There must be a word that the system thinks is some kind of a bad word, even though it surely isn't. Look carefully at the words.

May 6, 2011 at 11:45 pm |

Sorry Tom...I wrote Tim!

May 6, 2011 at 11:47 pm |

Dan,
      I have tried to motify the post 3 times, I don't know why it won't go through and you are right there is nothing offensive in it. Basically it said I agree with you as far as what religion is guilty of, very horrible things! But I am not talking about religion, I do not have a religion with God I have a relationship with Him through His Son Jesus. (Much different) Religion is man's best attempts and efforts to reach out to a Holy God, it cannot be done sin stands in the way and I cannot move it! Relationship is a Holy God bridging the gap and paying man's debt and reaching down to Him because He is able! Two totally different things.

May 7, 2011 at 12:24 am |
    • TD

I also said I love the jewish people, I have been to Israel and loved it! I pray for the peace of Jerusalem!

May 7, 2011 at 12:26 am |
    • Dan

** i'm having posting problems too **

What I basically said is that I'm concerned for you if you're having conversations with or walking a person who died 2000 years ago. (and stayed dead...that is assuming he truly lived)...and if I had conversations with imaginary people, they'd throw me in a padded cell.

If you somehow feel him.....well that's in your head. The forces we don't see in the world...gravity, radio waves, magnetism.....are god. They're the things we can't control that are constants. These religion rules were from ancient times.

Again, Tom, I wish YOU the best and glad you've stayed clean. Have a good weekend.

May 7, 2011 at 3:11 am |
    • TD

Thank you Dan for kind words, I have found there are different reason people come to not believe that God is real and though I will not try to be insensitive to your reasons I hope you are like those who don't believe because they do not see any proof or evidence to compel them to think otherwise and if there was evidence they would be open. But there are those who do not believe in God because they don't want to see the evidence, they do not want Him to be real so they fight anything and everything that has the potential of being evidence. I hope you are not the latter. I will be praying for you my friend.

May 7, 2011 at 9:29 am |
    • TD

Sorry Dan for the typo, I think you understand what I was saying I hope you are in the first group and not the second. Take care.

May 7, 2011 at 9:31 am |
    • Dan

Tom – My disbelief in god has nothing to do with me not wanting to believe it. It's knowing that it's flat out ridiculous and eternally unproveable. If I can actually see "proof" that a god exists, of course I'd be interested to see it and consider everything. However that will NEVER happen. Unexplainable things happen all the time...coincidences, near misses, whatever....and people want to believe they're god....Oprah will call them "ah hah" moments or some garbage. But just because something isn't easily explained or not understood, it doesn't mean god did it.

And to think you're going to pray for me is just silly. Do better things with your time. It's somewhat selfish to think that god will listen to your words and help me with whatever you're asking, while he didn't step in and help people killed in those tornadoes....or tsunami...or 9/11, or earthquakes in haiti, etc etc I can go on all day. Where is god to help those people? The whole thing is ridiculous and many people know it, they just continue the tradition to not upset their families. I'm anti-religion, anti-god...whatever. I'm pro-people. Pro-action. People need to do real things instead of sitting somewhere and praying to nobody. Take care Tom.

May 7, 2011 at 11:33 am |
  20. Jojo

God loves every single one of us. He doesn't cause natural disasters to happen. Yes, he can stop them and yes he can choose to save people. However, God works ALL THINGS for good. If he allows for someone to die, then hopefully they know him and are now rejoicing in heaven...whats better than that? Also, if he allows something bad to happen to someone, it is ALL out of love. Whether it is to further his kingdom for the good of everyone or whether it is to teach you something. God never said being a Christian or trusting in him would be easy. People who love and follow God don't do it because of benefits they will get...we do it because we love our Lord and Savior and he came and died on the cross for our sins. Everything is for him and is his. God is love.

May 6, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • xray

is life such a miserable experience for you that
      you have to resort to that kind of patent horse manure to get through it?

May 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Artist

"Yes, he can stop them and yes he can choose to save people. However, God works ALL THINGS for good. If he allows for someone to die, then hopefully they know him and are now rejoicing in heaven...whats better than that?"
      ..........
      There is always a way to explain or provide an excuse for a god. Yes he works all things for good. We should rejoice the people r a p ed, murdered, slaughtered served their purpose and entertainment for god.
      Folks I give you an example of ignorance and the scary thing is they probably vote.

May 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Jeff

Jojo that is some of the sickest thinking I've read yet. Imagine if you were saying this about a person instead of your god, would you be so understanding about that person causing pain and suffering on people? I doubt it. But when we call it "god" then our moral compass just goes straight out the window. You really need to examine your priorities if you truly believe what you said.

May 6, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • roumen

Your god should go screw himself. He seems to be an expert at screwing you and your type.

May 6, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • NoGodHere

Why would god need someone to suffer a horrific death in order to help his " kingdom" prosper? If he needed or wanted the person or people dead, " he " could take them in a much more peaceful way than being blown away by a tornado or being shot, burned, drowned etc.

May 6, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Dan

Jojo – Your teachings are warped. It's sad you appear to actually believe them. There is no logic in any of it. Nor does it sound like there's any love in this being you speak of. You are clearly...in the purest sense of the word...brainwashed. You no longer see the logic or simplicity in anything. You instead choose to apply these warped teachings that people have been preaching to you since birth. By the way, you know NOTHING except what people have told you. You don't know ANY OF IT to actually be true. And to speak of it like it is, is just irresponsible and pretty much laughable. Just look at what you wrote. It's sheer insanity.

May 6, 2011 at 2:10 pm |

Dear Lord, I thank you for people like Jojo, who aren't afraid to stand up in their faith. I ask that You bless his life many times over again, and that no matter what goes on in his life he will always be able to stand strong for You. Lord, for the people who do not believe in You, I ask that they will see Your glory, and that they will bow before You. I ask that this day comes sooner than later Lord. We love You very much Father.

Amen

Philipians 1:3

May 6, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Sean

World English Dictionary
      faith (feɪθ)
      — n
      1. strong or unshakeable belief in something, esp without proof or evidence

schiz·o·phre·ni·a
      –noun
      1. Psychiatry . Also called dementia praecox. a severe mental disorder characterized by some, but not necessarily all, of the following features: emotional blunting, intellectual deterioration, social isolation, disorganized speech and behavior, delusions, and hallucinations.
      2. a state characterized by the coexistence of contradictory or incompatible elements.

May 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • doughnuts

Looks like somebody hit the "SMITE" button a few times. Also, your God seems to hate amputees, because He's never ever cured one.

May 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • notofthisworld

I just want to give all the atheists that posted here my blessing, from the bottom of my heart. I think you're right, and I wish you all to continue on in your truly enlightened state of thinking. You all must be very happy, and I wish you all to have the life that you love; everyone should.

May 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Keith

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are called according to His purpose. This applies to believers only. There's no promise to the heathen. Hosea 4:6 comes to mind concerning these natural disasters, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge,...." Though this was written to Israel, it applies to the Church, also. Genesis 12:3 "and I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee..." EVERY time we try to force Israel to give up Covenant land we get thumped. The day before the tornadoes, Clinton was announcing a more active role in the "peace process". The thing is is this is only a curse from God. Just wait til they get a load of the WRATH of God. Don't believe me? Watch around May 20 when Netanyahu is going to the White House. If Obama pressures him to give land to the Palestinians and especially Jerusalem as their capital-duck.

May 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Arthur

I thought everything that happened only happened because God willed it? Things just don't happen on their own! God or the Devil has to will it to happen! The devil only can do things because god alllows him to do it. So everything happens because allows or wills it to happen.

May 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • Hitch

'Read the bible (God's Word) don't take my word or any others.'

Many non-believers I suspect come to their philosophy of not believing in god(s) or they become apathetic to its discussion as they've read the bible or other similar religious or philosophy books. Anyone who's read the Old Testament & all the atrocities that are detailed would likely lose their faith too as they'd have to manage the constant warped internally inconsistent image of a god who’s purportedly all loving, yet mandates the utter genocide of the cannaites & many others. He’s loving, but asked Abraham to kill Isaac. He’s loving, but ordered Moses that while plundering cities on his way into cannan to leave nothing alive & keep the ‘young virgins’ as booty.

Many people come away with the conclusion after reading it all that gods a monster.

May 6, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Rebekah Cornelison

"All things work for good for those who love the Lord, for those who are called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

May 6, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • runswithbeer

Sorry but if God knows all, created all and does all, then logic dictates GOD CREATES TORNADOES, EARTHQUAKES, FLOODS FAMINE, WAR and the DEATHS of ALL MEN WOMEN and CHILDREN. It's not one or the other. It's not a custom fit God. God didn't just make the GOOD STUFF. GOD MADE OSAMA BIN LADEN. And that's why I'm not a creationist or a believer in such a being.

May 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • NoFool

@Jojo: " People who love and follow God don't do it because of benefits they will get..." You are such a liar. Of COURSE they do it because they expect something – they want to go to "heaven" and sit on the right hand of god. "Also, if he allows something bad to happen to someone, it is ALL out of love." Huh?? That's something straight out of the book of "I'm psychotic – I beat my wife and kids because I love them more than anything and want the best for them". "I destroy your town because I love you". Folks like you are so far gone there is absolutely no hope of bringing you back to reality. On the very far out chance though, go to godisimaginarydotcom and read up... please!!

May 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • TD

Artist, pretty soon you won't have to worry about us voting! You can have the whole planet to yourself! And I don't mean with the wacko on May 21st, the real one is coming! We want it more than you do!

May 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Dan

Jojo – If rejoicing in heaven is so great, why don't you just kill yourself? There's no sense to any argument of yours whatsoever. Take you craziness and go away.

May 6, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • doug

jojo...i agree with you that God does have the power to do as he wills...however ...those who perished in this and everyother event are not in heaven since there has not been a second comming (unless I missed it and am in Hell). Someday though we may all have that opportunity...but not yet.

May 6, 2011 at 4:00 pm |