home
RSS
May 6th, 2011

Faith unshaken by tornado

By Aaron Brodie, CNN

Tuscaloosa, Alabama (CNN) - The sound of someone playing a piano drew us in to the Alberta Baptist Church in Tuscaloosa, two days after a devastating tornado ripped a deadly gash that will scar this Southern town for years to come.

I had been looking for a high spot where I could to shoot a panoramic image of the endless landscape of destruction, but I turned back toward the church with CNN's Wayne Drash to see where the music was coming from.

Alberta Baptist seemed to have fared better than many of the buildings in the immediate area. It was an oddity in this neighborhood, because it was both standing and clearly recognizable. Whatever had been next door was neither.

The church was hardly unscathed, though. Much of the roof was missing. Stained glass windows were blown out. And the facade of the main chapel was reduced to a pile of rubble spread across the front sidewalk like a bag of building blocks.

Inside the church, we met a small group of members who had come to witness firsthand the challenge that lay ahead. A young girl stopped playing the piano as her mother began to tell us how the building had recently been renovated.

I started taking photos of mangled metal and shattered sheetrock, all covered with a thick dusting of insulation that made you itch just by looking at it. As I was about to leave, I met Joe Southern, a member of Alberta Baptist for 45 years.

Joe lives in a part of Tuscaloosa that was spared the monster's wrath. Yet he decided to make the trek across town through military checkpoints, driving down streets littered with debris into what can easily be described as a war zone, to see the fate of his religious home.

In this video interview, Joe explains that while "we've lost a building," the church is more than just bricks and mortar: The church is the people. He says the congregation will rebuild, and that the tornado and its aftermath have only served to strengthen his belief in God.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Alabama • Baptist • Church • Houses of worship

1. paul

Many are called,but few are chosen.Your just upset because you don't get what has been given to believers by God.
    Its called faith,and since you haven't been blessed by God with It you hate and bash those who do. Go away, don't they have a special web site for atheists? WHY DO YOU PEOPLE SHOW UP AT THE MENTION OF GOD? Oh,your looking for proof. Well that's at least a step in the right direction,God is a rewarded of those that diligently seek him.

May 7, 2011 at 7:35 am |
    • Mike

I think it's similar to when people used to go to freak shows, you are scared of what you see, cannot believe people live like that, feel sorry for the poor creatures and finally get to leave the craziness behind when you leave.

I don't hate though I do feel sorry for those befuddled and shallow enough to need something outside themselves to get thru the day. Let me ask you if someone acted and/or claimed today as those in the bible what would happen to them.
      A few examples:
      A man claims he was swallowed by a whale and lived inside it and lived to tell the tale.
      A man straps his first born son to a stone table and is going to kill him, claiming voices in his head told him to do it.
      A man claims a burning bush gave him and only him the rules to live by.

I could go on but we all know the answer, this is why those that are rational come here. To view the nutjobs and the freaks, we attempt to get them help but they continue to want to live in their own fantasy despite the reality of the situation...

May 7, 2011 at 7:55 am |
    • Neal

Always looking for proof. But everytime I do, I get more assured that god doesnt exist. Because there is none, but a truly pathetic excuse for a "divine" book called a bible... Which is a complete joke.

May 7, 2011 at 8:02 am |
    • Keith

paul, The first time I found this blog I thought, "that's cool, cnn has religious blog". What I've found though, is a whipping boy for atheists and muslims. They mock, scoff, etc. They're not nice at all. And if they disagree with you, you're labeled as intolerant, hateful, bigot, redneck, ignorant, etc.. I'm not sure that this is one of the fields "ripe for the harvest"? Then again the angels rejoice when one sinner repents, so maybe it's worth it. Also, don't look for a lot of fellow Christians to come blogging to defend you- they either aren't here or are too afraid to be ridiculed by these ravening wolves. They'll stand by and watch you get torn to pieces, at least in the eyes of the wolves-we know different, though. God speed brother.

May 7, 2011 at 8:31 am |
    • Free

Keith-
      Is there anything inherently wrong with disagreeing with people of faith? If not, then where shall we voice that disagreement? At a Christian web site, or blog? I've tried speaking my mind in several of these, very politely, but was banned for just voicing the opinion that God does not exist. It seems that believers just have a problem with people saying this out loud. Now, who is actually asking who to shut up, eh?

May 7, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
    • Keith

Free, as with alot of people, you try to put words in my mouth. Where in my post did I try to tell you or anyone else to "shut up"? Just the facts son, just the facts.

May 7, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Free

Keith-
      Well, you sure don't seem to like anything we have to say, so doesn't that amount to the same thing?

You also said "Also, don't look for a lot of fellow Christians to come blogging to defend you- they either aren't here or are too afraid to be ridiculed by these ravening wolves."

Might I suggest that most Christians who stay out of this blog are the moderate, grounded, well-rounded, decent ones who aren't so full of themselves as to think they have all the answers to run everyone's lives? Face it, most of the 'Christians' who regularly post on this blog really do deserve ridicule. Some prove Poe's Law perfectly in that nobody could devise more ridiculous, or outrageous straw men charactures of fundamentalists if they tried.

May 8, 2011 at 12:33 am |
    • wipe0ut

While (Atheists) egos are bloating like space blobs, their brains simultaneously, are shrinking to the size of a quark.

They either fail to realise or just refuse to accept the fact that when all believers will pee, all of them will surely get drown by it. Likewise, when all believers will fart, it will simply blow them away to timbukto.

May 8, 2011 at 5:56 am |
  2. jesuslovesyou

It is heartbreaking to hear Cchristians passing judgement or calling names. When we have clearly been told that that is sin...above all we are instructed to love! We are instructed by Jesus to turn the other cheek....my brothers and sisters donit fall into a snare...we must show love to those who say vile things against us because of His name.....we must reach out in love to all..not act as the pharises.....especially if you think end times are here...the great comission....that can only be done through His great love flowing through us....be kind in your Posts...remember your own sins and have compassion on your neighbor who doesn't know of HIS GREAT KINDNESS AND MERCY BE MERCIFUL AS YOUR FATHER IN HEAVEN HAS SHOWN YOU MERCY

May 7, 2011 at 7:33 am |
    • Free

Some supposedly non-believers are rather vulgar here, but so are some supposed Christians, especially those who threaten hellfire to any and all who happen to disagree with them.

The problem for many Christians is that they see even the most tasteful and restrained criticisms as 'vile.' If you want to come out of isolation and offer your opinions to the general public then you can't also hide behind the curtain of religious taboo that you usually enjoy, where the very idea of God not being real is never even entertained.

If it bothers you too much to hear people say that they believe God is a myth then, perhaps, a Christians-only site is better suited to your const.itution. I can as.sure you from personal experience that they do not tolerate anyone voicing any certainty of God not being real for very long on such sites.

May 7, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  3. Mark Yelka

People who live with the delusion of an imaginary god irrationally take tragedy as a confirmation of their god. Truly amazing!

May 7, 2011 at 6:05 am |
  4. Mike

The right wing in the USA are 'Old Testament' not Christian. I am not religious in the slightest but it is very clear the teachings of Jesus Christ would make him the ultimate liberal by their standards.

May 7, 2011 at 5:34 am |
    • Keith

It's getting harder and harder to define "Christian". A recent Barna poll indicated that 40% of born again Christians believe muslims and Christians worship the same God. And 26% believe in universalism. If Jesus is the only Way, then these statistics should be 0%. Therefore, there are an awful lot of people out there who claim the name of Christianity who aren't really Christian.

May 7, 2011 at 7:32 am |
    • Free

As far as I know the term 'Christian' is not trade marked to any particular group. As long as you follow Jesus' teachings to some degree it appears that you can call yourself such. If you think that you own exclusive rights to the name then do what all good Americans do and sue, otherwise quit griping about it.

May 7, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Keith

make that 27%

May 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  5. D

@Rogue– no, He's not, which is a huge blessing, because if God were logical then people like you and Mike wouldn't be free to spend time on the internet arguing His non-existence. Sometimes logic isn't appropriate. The logical thing for a mother to do would be to remove herself from a crying baby and go find some zen. There's no logic in looking after something that gives nothing back to you, at least not currently. And yet, there you are, giving nothing to God, but still you're alive. Lucky you. And lucky your mother wasn't consumed in logic, either. In a raging battle of logic v. faith, I'll take faith any day. Faith is a much better feeling, even if it should logically conflict with my IQ.

So many of you say you want to help un-brainwash the religious masses. Why? So they can be as miserable and jaded and hateful as you are? If someone has peace in his religion, leave him alone. Logically, there's no harm–if he's wrong and there is no afterlife, it's not like he'll ever know the difference. With faith, however, he'll live his life a lot happier than you are living yours.

May 7, 2011 at 3:19 am |
    • Mike

So you think there is a chance equating being religious with NOT being hateful has a cat in hell's chance of standing up to scrutiny? History and current events in the world seem to support the premise that most hate on earth comes from so called religious people.

I reiterate my point made earlier, that the right wing in the USA are old testament in their beliefs. Jesus would be labelled a liberal by them based on his teachings.

May 7, 2011 at 5:38 am |
    • Mike

D you attempt to assert that "You can be logical, scientific, intelligent, and mature and STILL believe in God" but not only put forth the illogical and childish assertion that not only does god exist he acts in a stupid and insane fashion. I'll grant you that this fits in very well with the old testament, but logically you have to know deep down that just saying and believing something doesn't make it true.

The reason we want to unbrainwash people is to get them to respect and enjoy the life they have. You say you've studied religious history, the history I'm aware of shows the religious adherents as being the ones that persecute and kill others. Speaking to your claim that non believers (and where did this term come from? It's like saying I'm a non murderer, stupidity shown yet again in the way our society looks at things assbackwards) are miserable and jaded and hateful. I think this is a knee jerk reaction that anyone deluded must dispense to feel better. I and those I know that feel as I do are none of those things.

I will give you that faith can be a good feeling, I can still recall believing in Santa, it was a magical time. Sadly, magic isn't real and neither is thinking that someone will live their life happier with faith. If someone lived till they were 90 believing in Santa due to their 'faith' yes they could experience joy in that delusion, but by doing so would miss out on the real joy of sharing that holiday with loved ones. The problem is and you started to touch on it is nothing rational or logical can be discussed with 'faith', It reminds me of when my wife woke up and was mad at me because she had a dream I cheated on her. She felt what she felt and nothing I could say or do could assuage her until she completely woke up and calmed down.

That's all we hope for those that are stricken with this plague called religion, we can try and help and talk rationally and logically until you wake up and see what you dreamed isn't the truth...

May 7, 2011 at 6:20 am |
  6. Mike

The type of people depicted in this article are the reason why this country is stuck with 18th century morality. Seriously people it's the 21st century, we know the earth isn't the center of the universe, that indeed the earth is not flat and there is no god or gods. Why is it to have faith you have to shut off logic and reason? I'd love to think that Santa is real and millions of children have tremendous faith in him, and the logic of the situation doesn't impact them until they grow up. That's what needs to occur, grow up people.

There is no plan, god or gods don't work in mysterious ways. If there was a god I'd think he'd not lay out his churches, as busy as he was killing, maiming and destroying things in the bible, I would think he'd be more active the past 2000 yrs. I do realize that it's pointless to try and reason with insanity, witnessed by the fact statements like the end of the above article "the tornado and its aftermath have only served to strengthen his belief in god".

It's very very sad so much of this country and world are so stupid, I am glad for social media and electronic storage, so my future descendants know I'm not among the naive brainless masses so prevalent today. BTW yes, I've read your bible from cover to cover and that was the reason I knew there's no god. I know most of you can quote the parts you like, but have you read it? I don't believe you have because if you have any semblance of logic or reasoning you'd not believe either.

May 7, 2011 at 2:25 am |
    • D

So your argument is that anyone who believes in God is immature and stupid? Actually, I studied the Bible thoroughly, not only as a child, but in college, in a Western Civ course comparing it to Greek and Roman mythology. I've dissected it myself, because I tend to be an overly logical person who tries to dissect everything. You can be logical, scientific, intelligent, and mature and STILL believe in God. I had friends in that class who were atheist and agnostic. I didn't force my beliefs on them and they didn't force their beliefs on me. This old man says his faith was strengthened– b/c this entire town has pulled together and people are giving of their own time, possessions, and money without legal obligation. That's not logical at all, is it? The logical thing to do is to selfishly keep everything to oneself, especially in our currently disintegrating economy. Beautiful acts of humanity aren't LOGICAL at all. They are, however, Godly. God isn't a logical concept because God isn't logical–if God were logical, anyone questioning God or harming their fellow man would just be zapped off the face of the planet. That would be the logical thing to do. Luckily for all of us, God isn't logical.

May 7, 2011 at 2:40 am |
    • Rogue

@Mike – Great post.
      @D – My jaw just about hit the floor at your claim that your "god" is not logical. No, wait. Here it is. It did fall to the floor.
      I'm just speechless.
      Just shocked that anyone would ever say such a thing. So your "god" is the god of nonsense? I am not surprised by much, but this is a new twist.

May 7, 2011 at 3:09 am |
    • myklds

@Rogue..The opposite of "logical" is illogical, while the opposite of "nonsense" is sense. The way you interpret things and bragged it as truth and honesty troubled me. It's Satan's manner of deceit.

Yet, my faith is left unshaken.

May 7, 2011 at 5:00 am |
    • pacman

@Rogue
      Experts believe that when somebody's jaw was hit so hard it shakes the brain and could cause trauma.

Lucky you! you got nothin to be shaken, inside your cranium is nothin but slime.

May 7, 2011 at 5:13 am |
  7. D

And as far as the end of the world being two weeks away–IF you have really paid attention to your BIBLE...NO ONE knows the hour but GOD, so basically just by ONE PERSON being convinced that the big day is that particular day, it won't happen. It's just y2k v 2.0. Please knock it off

May 7, 2011 at 12:57 am |
  8. D

I am lost as to why Atheists and Agnostics feel the need to post on an article about a church. By definition, you don't believe it, and you criticize Christianity for years of conversion, forced or otherwise. However, here you are, trying to convert people AWAY from Christianity. What's the difference? You take issue with those who believe differently as well. You're even bigger hypocrites than those you attack. Why don't you go have a lovely discussion on an article about agnosticism or atheism, because those who have true faith won't have it broken by your words.

May 7, 2011 at 12:53 am |
    • Alan

Because your cults don't sit quietly in the shadows of padded asylums where they belong and keep to themselves. They infest EVERY facet of society today: politics, economics, educational; how many tens of thousands die every day as a direct result of oppressive religious ideology?

We AREN'T trying to CONVERT anyone. We're trying to snap you out of it. Our reaction to the religious person is no different than how an average religious person would react to a serious, dead pan discussion about the merits and teachings of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. It's nonsense. Fit only for imaginative children (see Santa Claus, who is in fact a MORE plausible mythical figure than God or Jesus). And we vehemently point these things out because the ONLY way the myth is able to sustain itself is through this blind "mob reinforcement" of the notion that faith in the face of reason is somehow admirable. So if enough people scare the mob into doubting the lie, the lie will dissipate like a bad dream.

And then maybe we can start work on some of humanity's MANY OTHER more important problems. Because this one is just way to old and way too silly to still be such an issue.

May 7, 2011 at 1:44 am |
    • myklds

We're trying to snap you out of it.

Allan..we don't want it as much as you don't want us to convert you, so why bother? Why not sit quietly inside you lab and convince youself that we really landed on the moon? OR prove that really there was a Y2K bug?

Too much ego made you believe that you could snap out believers from what they believe in. While 2 or 3% is quite immaterial compared to 93%.

Why, couldn't we just

May 7, 2011 at 7:17 am |
    • Free

D-
      Why do religious folk feel the need to add their opinion to discussions on science, education, medicine, politics ... ?

You all feel that you have something to add to these discussions, so why not expect that secular people might not have something to add to your discussions? Besides, judging from some religious people's posts we secularists actually tend to be more knowledgeable of the details of your religions than you are. It's amazing how few Christians have any idea about biblical criticism, Church history, and other religious subjects not to mention any idea about what science actually says about evolution or the big bang, for example. So, why not take it as an opportunity to learn something that your pastor either doesn't know, or is trying to keep secret from you?

May 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • Free

myklds-
      "convince youself that we really landed on the moon"
      Poe's Law in action, folks!

Also, actual computer scientists weren't seriously worried about Y2K. The only people seriously worried, I suspect, were the same ones keeping an ear to the rapture threat level regularly. Such frightened little rabbits!

May 7, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  9. All Religion Is Evil

That's the thing about faith – it isn't affected by reality.

May 7, 2011 at 12:48 am |
    • All Atheists are SlimeBalls

Fro all you know, reality is just a component of faith.

May 7, 2011 at 7:22 am |
    • Don't Let The Facts Get in the Way of Your Delusion

By definition, faith is the firm belief in something for which there is no proof. There is lots of proof for reality, so reality cannot possibly be a component of faith.

May 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  10. Raised in Religion

All,

I was raised by a religious family and practiced religion for 38 years of my life. Only recent have I tried to critically evaluate the teachings of that faith. I had always been taught to never question things that we could not understand because it might destroy faith. I cannot tell you how free I now feel to challenge belief, challenge myth, challenge tradition, it has been a very liberating experience. I feel free to think and reason more than at any time in life. I am really grateful I have gone through this transformation of thought and belief. The funny thing is I was always taught that I would be unhappy if I left the faith....WRONG!! It is hard to discern reality from things you learn as a child. Right now I am not sure what I believe if it cannot be tested and evaluated and the word "faith" removed from the argument. There is still room for a creator....what I have left is religion. What I can honestly say is I have felt a hand work in my life with greater direction and power than my own. But I dont know. Once burned twice shy they say. I feel beguiled by a modern religion. I do not intend to give up on the precepts of religion like helping your neigbor, loving mankind, but I am done believing in a restored one and only true church, the only power to save mankind. No more sacred cows!

May 6, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
    • Free

Raised in Religion-
      "I do not intend to give up on the precepts of religion like helping your neigbor, loving mankind,..."

Some day you'll get around to realizing that helping your neighbor and loving mankind aren't just religious precepts; they're universal human ones shared by people of all faiths, and those without any.

May 7, 2011 at 12:00 am |
    • PraiseTheLard

Raised in Religion wrote: "I do not intend to give up on the precepts of religion like helping your neigbor, loving mankind"

I've seen plenty of religious folks who only "love" the particular type of mankind that's exactly like them, and who wouldn't raise a finger to help their neighbor... (We know a couple, one Protestant, the other Catholic, who, as soon as they married, were shunned by both of their families... a real heartwarming story there...)

May 7, 2011 at 12:35 am |
    • Steve Hartman

I agree with Free. The most amazing thing about shedding religion is that decent people discover that they are decent because that is their nature, not because they were threatened with eternal punishment for disobeying. Your morality becomes what is right for you, not obeying someone elses laws and standards. You might even discover Nietzsche's notion that what you thought was morality is actually only Slave Morality, resentful, obsessed with "what are you doing that is evil."

The better morality is Master Morality, where you reject the imprisonments of guilt and instead "what are you doing that is great?" Life passionately, create, become yourself, free of doctrines and ideologies.

It's a great world out there for the free. Welcome.

May 7, 2011 at 12:39 am |
    • Neal

Good for you. Try seeking answers in science. It gives a good understanding of the world we live in, and how it works. And its not made up.

May 7, 2011 at 7:49 am |
    • Keith

We're called to be Bereans. We should search the scripture to see if these things are true. I understand some of where you are coming from. For me, I struggled with "Good Friday". I couldn't understand how Jesus could be 3 days and 3 nights in the grave and be raised Sunday morning. The math just didn't add up. I was raised Lutheran(not bashing them). My mom told me more less that was just the way it is. Many years later, and after some careful study, I believe Jesus was crucified on Wednesday. Don't let church traditions separate you from God. Study your questions out-they're are logical answers. May I suggest someone like Dr. Chuck Missler. If your a science buff, this guy might be for you. Khouse.org.

May 7, 2011 at 7:57 am |
  11. paul

N.D.E., ever had one mark?

May 6, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  12. paul

@ horus, if you studied the Bible then Im GOD!

May 6, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • Horus

Try me.

May 6, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
  13. paul

Why do atheist show up when GOD IS MENTIONED

May 6, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
    • All Religion Is Evil

Why to the irrational show up when reality is discussed? To promulgate their fantasy-based worldviews, of course. A better question for you to ask might be, "What evidence is there for anything I was taught to believe?"

May 7, 2011 at 12:53 am |
    • All Atheists are SlimeBalls

This is a belief blog believers, irrational as to speak are expected, while aUtheistics drivels, might be welcome but unsolicited.

May 7, 2011 at 6:27 am |
    • Lovely Use of the English Language

Mr. Slimeball, there is not one single part of of your post that makes any sense at all. If you are not a native speaker of English, you might want to study it a lot more before you try to write it. If you are a native speaker of English, WOW !

May 7, 2011 at 11:08 am |
    • Free

Why do the religious show up every time a scientist discusses something she's learned about the universe, or when a teacher talks about the necessity of giving our kids a world-class science education, or when a gay couple expresses their desire to get legally married, or when a doctor speaks to the need for greater stem cell research, or when a woman makes her case for protecting women's reproductive rights,... ?

Religious folk feel free, if not duty bound, to express their sometimes very strong and even threatening views on these subjects even if God is never explicitly mentioned. Face it, some of us are religious and some of us are not, but we all have opinions. Religious folks believe in certain things and everyone else believes in something different, hence everyone's participation in this 'Belief' Blog. Get it?

May 7, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
  14. paul

And I am not afraid to go

May 6, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
    • Mark

As well you shouldn't. Once you die that's it, nothing occurs after. You're not going to be present in some celestial theme park praising the big boss for all eternity. Such a belief is reminiscent of ignorant bronze age peasants with no foundation in reality.

May 6, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  15. Mark

Why are Christians always offended, and flag posts, when atheists post reasons why believing in god is irrational? Just demonstrates the natural religious aversion to logic, reason, and seeing religion for what it is.

May 6, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
    • Sybaris

Because doubt is a scary thing for them.

Deep down they know it's all hokum

May 7, 2011 at 12:31 am |
  16. paul

Death will tell

May 6, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
    • Nick Kent

No, death would only tell if there is an afterlife. Even then, it might tell you that you picked the wrong religion and are doomed, or worse, that whatever divine ent-ity/supernatural reality actually does exist, is radically different than everyone thinks.

The latter is the most likely if there is some supernatural apex enti-ty. Anything smart enough to create everthing in the universe down to the last detail, and to control time and matter, that enti-ty would be completely beyond the comprehension of humans and completely different from anything humans could imagine. We would be like mold spores trying to understand Stephen Hawking describing string theory, and we would be as unimportant as individual mold spores to Stephen Hawking.

Considering how radically far beyond us an apex divinity would be, it is foolish to believe it would even notice individual humans, or even care. That's the problem of religion: the gods they put forth are way too narrow and small-minded and petty to even begin to be possible creators of the universe. If there is a real god, massively smart and capable, then it just would not care about the Earth or anything in it. And guess what – the world operates as if there is no god actively running it.

Amongst the billions of sentient creatures on each of the thousands if not millions of planets in the universe that probably contain life, only the most ignorant arrogant creatures could think that they are special to such a being. Why would it bother to crate a heaven for all those mold spores? You might just stop when you die because it does not care.

And if there is no afterlife, no god, then death is exactly what it looks like: you just stop. The religious people never get to learn that they wasted the only thing they ever had – their lives – on.

May 7, 2011 at 12:24 am |
  17. paul

Jesus was powerful enough to split the world calender,Its not before Zeus,before allah, before buddah,before satan, before the easter bunny,or before whaever. B.C.\A.D. Jesus said if you weren't for him you were against him. you are the same people who have never STUDIED this book. You will be the same blind fools who will welcome the rise of the anti-christ, and call him god.If you really knew anything about the bible,everything going on in current events are unfolding according to whats been written. Christ warned of such apostates as yourselves,this does not surprise me in the least. It will not happen overnite but the stage is being set, and you are all playing your part in fulfilling prophesy.

May 6, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
    • Horus

Troll or nutjob. I've studied the bible enough to know that you can twist it in whatever way you please. God doesn't exist.

May 6, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
    • Free

Jesus didn't create A.D. and B.C.. They were invented by a man named Dionysius Exiguus in 525, and he got Jesus' birth wrong, so it doesn't even mean what it was intended to.

May 6, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
  18. translation services representative Jorel

dave: I don't know what I am talking about. Go elsewhere for knowledge.
    God will do nothing, but some will pretend to have heard something.
    He who holds on to heavy tablets will feel his arms become numb, and other people can tell what time it is and other things I do not understand.
    Jesus is a thief and will come to me for I am in darkness.

May 6, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
    • paul

You dont have a clue!

May 6, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
  19. dave

Doc,
    May 21 2011 will be, not might be but will be the beginning of God's judgment. For more information on this you can go to wecanknow.com or just google may 21 2011. Surely the Lord God will do nothing ,but He revealeth His secret unto his servants the prophets Amos 3:7

Whoso keepeth the commandments shall feel no evil thing,and a wise mans heart diserneth both time and judgment. Ecc.8:5

The believers will know the time of the Lord's return. He will come to those in darkness as a thief in the night.
    Dave

May 6, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
    • Drew

Matthew 24:36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone." So Christ didn't know the hour of his return, but somehow we can?

May 6, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
    • Reality

Paul made predicted the return of Jesus in Paul's life time. We are still waiting. And we will be waiting way past 5/21/2011.

May 6, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
    • Reality

Paul predicted the return of Jesus in Paul's life time. We are still waiting. And we will be waiting way past 5/21/2011.

May 6, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
    • LinCA

Hey Dave, would that be May 21th in the Gregorian or the Julian calendar?

May 7, 2011 at 8:12 am |
    • Keith

I'm a firm believer in the rapture/translation, but what's the significance of this date? We, as believers, are called to be watching for His return for us at any time-whether it's May 21 or 100 years from now. I'm 43 and I personally don't think I'll die from old age. God is quickly moving the players into position in the Mid-East and elsewhere. Even non-believers must be noticing the speed with which political landscape is changing. In case you haven't followed world agriculture news-we are one disaster away from famine on a large scale. The dollar is on its way out as the world's reserve currency. You won't recognize this country in 5 years.

May 7, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  20. paul

Rom.1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.
    Mat.20:16 For many are called but few are chosen.

May 6, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • translation services representative Jorel

Paul: I am a fool and I don't answer my phone.

May 6, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
    • Free

"But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca,' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell." Matthew 5:22

So, that would mean that Paul's in Hell for calling intelligent people 'fools'. Seems appropriate.

May 6, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
    • SupremeAmerican

LoL fun time is now.
      [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjW8SWuyuvs&w=640&h=390]

May 7, 2011 at 3:12 am |
    • Free

SupremeAmerican-
      Boy, when those water bottle-shaped aliens try to invade the U.S of A. they'll be sorry, you betcha! 🙂

May 7, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • General I. M. Confused, U. S. Army

We have been scouring the countrysides in Afghanistan, hunting high and low for these clear plastic bottle-shaped Muslims, destroying them everywhere we find them. We ask the locals to give up the Taliban, and when we show them pictures, they snicker – we don't understand that at the moment, but intelligence is working on it. We keep getting attacked, and while our troops complain that it is very difficult to combat the plastic bottle shaped Muslims when lots of guys with guns are shooting at them, we keep our boys focused ot the task at hand.

And Mr. SupremeAmerican, if you join the Army, we would be happy to teach you to shoot a lot better. You only hit it twice, and it was really close.

May 7, 2011 at 12:50 pm |