home
RSS
May 7th, 2011

Muslim group: 2 imams pulled from plane bound for North Carolina

By the CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) - An airline is investigating the removal of two imams from a flight headed to North Carolina, ostensibly because passengers felt uncomfortable with their presence of the pair - both clad in Islamic attire.

The incident occurred Friday on an Atlanta Southeast Airlines flight from Tennessee to North Carolina and it involved Masudur Rahman and Mohamed Zaghloul were wearing traditional Muslim dress, CNN affiliate WCNC reported.

The two - who hold high religious positions in the Muslim community - were headed to North Carolina for a conference on prejudice against Muslims, or Islamaphobia. The meeting is sponsored by the North American Imams Federation.

Read the full story on the imams removed from a plane.
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Islam • Muslim

1. NothingRight

I think in some ways you must look at this as an indictment of our security process as much as it is a prejudice against Muslims or Islam. If we would wake up and allow effective screening processes to be put in place, people wouldn't be as apt to act on irrational fears driven by conservative political and media members.
    b
    At some point we need to recognize that the airline attacks have been attempted or carried out by a varying group of people. A young Nigerian male, a british female, and Islamic extremists. You simply can't identify a look or a group that is most likely to be terrorists.

And on a flight from Tennessee to North Carolina, who would guess?

May 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  2. Muneef

Surely they had not reached the flight until they had their under wares searched clean with all those new security equipment's...so why had to fear of people who been searched out inside out? Unless that this was not a case of fear but rather a case of prejudice for which they were put at holt not to attend it.... But that had only proved further that there is prejudice as a race as a religion as a garments to be worn.

May 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Scramas

yeah, tell us how you're all free of prejudice in Yemen

May 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Muneef

Scramas.

I would be a liar if I said there isn't....and not only between races but even as doctrines....and that is because of being less Islamic than should be,since Islam does not recognize any differences but treat as equal accept that God favored who feared him most...(Taqwa)..meaning that if you had that (Taqwa) in you then you are better than any of the believers...
      Any way would give you a link that will explain to you what has happened to Arab Countries to have taken it to become as less believers and do that is non of Islam today towards which it became so much hated as an Arab or as a Muslims..we are sorry but the say " The Seeds you saw into earth will bring the produce which you will have to harvest).

May 7, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • Rogue

@Muneef – In other words you think we will "reap what we sow"?
      Thanks for the implied threat. If there is no choice given then there is none to be made. Islam spread by the sword is an old story. With a blade at your throat you might agree to whatever I wanted you to say.
      I might pretend to believe. What then? How can you tell who is lying about believing in Allah and who is not?
      You can't. And until you can (meaning never), you will have Islam filled with apostates who pretend to believe as they fool you into doing what they want. Very easy. It happens all the time in religions.
      No one can prove belief but must rely upon the claim made by the "believer". Your "Allah" does not help you with this for some reason...

May 7, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
    • Muneef

Rogue.
      Would like you to read the link first about what we were talking before you jumb into conclusion attacking with words what that has not been said. Thank you

May 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • Rogue

@Muneef – Sorry, Muneef. I am not going to read your link.
      Remember that you cannot prove who is Muslim and who is not.
      Remember that when you listen to others speak in Khel.
      In the mosque, all anyone has to do is pretend. You will never catch them.

May 7, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  3. ken

well, not for nothing, but IT IS Southwest Airlines, so its really not surprising, the lowest common denominator of the gene pool fly SW, because of the insanely cheap fares. It's not rocket science. Not to say it wouldn't have happened on a American Airlines Flight or British Airways, but I'm pretty sure it would happen more on discount airlines such as SW, JetBlue etc.

May 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • Dexter Skagway

It was on Atlanta Southeast Airlines. It's like this whole other airline from Southwest.

May 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • ken

well my bad Dexter for reading that wrong, but still again, a small airline, probably a puddle jumper in that part of the country, where the KKK still thrives in Parish Counties? Nay, not surprising at all. American, pseudo patriot ignorance, not unlike that of the far right, who by their own prose are domestic terrorist. I'd rather fly anywhere in the world with most Muslims, then your typical American Middle American or southern sad, intolerant swine.

May 7, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • Dexter Skagway

Atlanta Southeast Airlines is a commuter airline whose planes are painted Delta. These guys almost certainly bought Delta tickets. And Delta is NOT a discount airline – though they ought to be considering the serivce they provide.

As to enjoying the flight, we are not so far apart. I would hate to be stuck on an airline next to a chatty Tea Partier, but I would also hate to be stuck next to a zealous fan of Michael Moore. I would also not want to be stuck with a devout person of almost any faith who was intent on sharing their religion (bummer, Arthur Destrada), Christian or Muslim or whatever – okay, I would make an exception for the Dalai Lama, and it might be very interesting to sit next to a Wiccan or a Church of Satan member or a Druid if they were articulate and polite, but that's more curiosity that acceptance.

Fortunately, I don't often have people try to chat it up much. I have had more problems with very overweight people sitting next to me and overflowing into my space, but they usually are nice enough people so I don't say anything and just accept that as part of the torture of modern air travel.

May 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • BG

Wholly-owned subsidiary of Delta until '10. Currently a United Express operation in over 100 cities.

And if I had to sit next to either of you elitist nits, I'd request a seat change.

Next to the engine is all that's available? Sure. I'd rather listen to a jet engine droning than a liberal complaining.

May 7, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • Rogue

@BG – And I'd rather not hear any whining wing-nuts of any sort.

May 7, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
    • Atlantic Southeast Airlines

Yes, Mr. BG, we can put you next to the engine, and I see that you have a lot in common with jet engines: you both have a big mouth, you both are loud, you both have lots of hot air and pollution roaring out, and neither of you have brains.

We can also arrange for you to sit right in front of the engine. It will be something like this:

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jxcSY1AwrM&w=640&h=360]

Welcome aboard!

May 7, 2011 at 7:45 pm |

@ Rogue

Does that include antagonistic atheists? Kidding 😉 No harm, no foul. Not my bag anymore. I avoid that entire cluster*. Also – I'm still looking for an 'appropriate' animated WordPress emot. One has to be out there... Will the CNN blog allow the animated ones?

@ ASA

You comparing me to an A-6 engine? That's a compliment! btw, that kid survived with just a few lacerations.

May 7, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Dexter Skagway

Hilarious!

There is one big difference between jet engines and BG. Jet engines serve a useful purpose.

May 7, 2011 at 8:27 pm |

@ Dexter

Aw, come on. You were doing pretty good at first. I especially liked the "have lots of hot air and pollution" part. Now you're back-stepping at the first little bump... How embarrassing for you. Better change your name before you get a rep as a blog wuss.

May 7, 2011 at 9:10 pm |

ASA / Dexter.. whatev.

May 7, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
    • Rogue

@BG – Here's the link:
      en.support.wordpress.com/smilies/
      Some are animated, but there isn't much of a selection. Nothing like some other blogs I've seen. 😈

May 7, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • ken

Dexter, we have a boat load in common, and Mike Moore is an ***hat of the most profound kind

May 7, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Dexter Skagway

Is "wuss" really the best you can do, BG? That's something that an adolescent boy in his baloney-bopping phase would say. I'm sure an intellectual Gump like you can do much better than that.

Let me give you a do-over. Take another crack at it.

May 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • BG

Actually, Dex, I had forgotten that you didn't serve up the first comment, ASA did. Thus my 'whatev' post. My followup to you was therefore inappropriate – but instead of calling me on it, you accepted it...

This coming from someone telling me that I'm " an intellectual Gump.." lulz! You don't even know what you were responding to, so 'wuss' is actually overkill...I apologize. It's in poor taste to make fun of the challenged, so I wish you a peaceful and uncomplicated night.

BLNT, Skippy.

May 7, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
  4. Marwan

That's totally unfair !

May 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  5. tallulah13

I hate flying to begin with, but I'm more afraid of structural damage from metal-fatigue and/or careless baggage handlers, or errors from over-tired or otherwise impaired pilots than I am of terrorists.

May 7, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Arthur Destrada

I am more afraid of sitting next to a pastor from the Southern Baptist Convention who will not stop trying to convert me and my daughter for the whole flight, despite our polite attempts to get him to stop. That actually happened to me on a long cross-country flight. The upside is that he totally alienated my daughter from his position, so he got the opposite results he intended.

May 7, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • BG

You can report your lost bag and usually get it back. A metal fatigue event in one type of plane will always ground the others for inspection. It's rare for a pilot to be impaired by anything other than inadequate sleep, and when it does happen, he'll never get off the ground because of the mandate for other staff to immediately report him.

Now what should we do about terrorists? Shhh... don't look. Sit still and be quiet, or they'll sue you...

Know how El-Al has managed not to have a bombing in over 40 years? Hint – It doesn't involve body scanners.

May 7, 2011 at 1:10 pm |

@ Arthur

And whose fault is it that you didn't have the balls to tell him to shut up or you'd call the flight attendant? Especially with your daughter being involved? Instead you just whine.

Wuss.

May 7, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • Faux Paws

@BG
      Oh wait...THEY weren't terrorists. Look carefully, you can tell them by their robes and funny hats.

May 7, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • tallulah13

BG
      Look at the history of air travel. I think that you will find that many more planes have crashed from metal-fatigue, structural flaws and pilot error than have from the acts of terrorists.

I have never lost a bag, so I don't know where your comment came from. However, I had a friend who worked as a baggage handler who witnesses some of her co-workers accidentally damaging the fuselage of the plane they were loading, There was a fierce debate over whether they should tell or not. Fortunately they chose to inform their employers. Maybe it would have been discovered prior to the flight, maybe not, but it certainly made me think twice.

I get that you are afraid of terrorists, but your fear isn't an excuse to allow illegal discrimination. If your fear is so great that you try to use it to deny others their civil rights, you should be the one forbidden to fly.

Arthur D; That's one brutal flight! How terrible for you and your daughter.

May 7, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Arthur Destrada

So BG, you consider being polite and civil a bad thing?

May 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • BG

First time, polite and civil
      Second time, firm and civil
      Third time – call the attendant and resolve it.

You, however, went on a 'cross-country' flight -with your daughter- and subjected yourselves to misery unnecessarily. I wonder if one of the lessons your daughter learned was in assertiveness (or lack thereof.) Quite honestly, I have a hard time believing that this happened "the whole flight" without you taking care of it. My comment about lack of balls stands, especially because you subjected your daughter to this, if indeed it did ever happen.

Then again, only you know for sure...

May 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm |

tallulah13

" an excuse to allow illegal discrimination. If your fear is so great that you try to use it to deny others their civil rights.."
      The battle cry of the otherwise oppressed Muslim who really doesn't have any intention of as-similating into a foreign culture... Gotcha. They don't want to, you say? They shouldn't have to? They should be able to maintain their own 'cultural identi-ty' because of their relative importance and self-claimed perfection? Europe tried multiculturalism. It failed because of Islamic "perfection." European courts weren't good enough; they demanded Sharia. European food wasn't good enough; they demanded halal in the schools 'for everyone' so that they couldn't accidentally eat from the menu of the infidel. Schools were deemed inadequate because they didn't teach an Islamic lesson plan; now Europe has Islamic -public- schools. Jobs were not plentiful enough for Muslims, so Muslims rioted and burned buildings. Many Muslim immigrants went on public welfare, which Muslims thought inadequate, so Muslims rioted and burned more buildings. Public perception of Muslims deteriorated accordingly, and when public editorials and cartoons denounced Muslim behavior, Muslims threatened and/or killed the 'offenders'.

Now Europe wants Muslim immigration stopped. No surprise. America has watched and learned. You're using a female name with 13. If you're a 13 y.o. non-Muslim girl I'm going to suggest that you need to do some research. If you're Muslim, then you should be well aware of what's happening, but no matter – anyone else will always be bigoted racists...it's in the playbook. Here's a question to ask yourself: If the imams on board this plane -knew- that there would be a heightened awareness of Muslims on airplanes because of the death of OBL, why wear provocative clothing other than to draw attention to themselves and their cultural identi-ty? Again, no effort to as-similate, no desire to show empathy, sensitivity or understanding.. only the desire to forward the Muslim agenda of self-importance and superiority.

"I think that you will find that many more planes have crashed from..." A silly argument. We don't want planes to crash from any cause.

"I get that you are afraid of terrorists, but your fear..."
      No, I'm just tired of their behavior affecting my life. Your 'statement' is a tired, ineffective and immature tactic. You weaken your argument when you do this. If you truly want to know why someone opposes your view, ask them.

You don't know what truly happened, only what was initially reported in the news. Don't make as-sumptions.

May 7, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • capscorp

the problem is tat the christian pastor is not going to bomb or kill u if refuse to convert..just say no...n tell them to stop...communication pls....but these muslims still thinking tat non-muslims are heathens n just to be killed r stuck in middle ages n thus we have these problems !!!!

May 7, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Dexter Skagway

Actually, Christian clerics have been involved in killing millions throughout history for not converting. The number in South America alone are staggering.

May 7, 2011 at 5:22 pm |

@ Dexter Skagway

Good. You're a history buff. Thanks. Now, care to join us here in the 21st century?

Geez this is tiring. No wonder I don't go into the religion v. atheist threads. SSDD.

May 7, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • Rogue

@BG – In this century, no god has done anything. Is that where you'd like to go? No reason to believe any of your religious nonsense? Because that's where you're going. You only want to hear the history that supports your position? Sad.

May 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • Dexter Skagway

Somewhere amongst the "Great Courses" lectures I listened to on CD, the professor teaching a religion course told of a Chinese man who met Christian missionaries from Italy and became enchanted with the ideals of Christianity. When offered to be taken back to Italy, he eagerly agreed, as he desperately wanted to leave China and go to a place where people loved their neighbors as themselves and turned the other cheek and did unto others as they would have others do them. He vanishes from history after that, but I can only imagine his massive disappointment when he met real Christians in Christian countries.

I tell that story because when I hear people like BG, I am reminded that so many Christians act totally the opposite of the behaviors that Jesus preached, so much so that I wonder how they can even consider themselves Christians.

I am sure BG has a mean-spirited answer to that.

May 7, 2011 at 6:40 pm |

@ Rogue

"... no god.."

Who brought 'god' into this discussion? That'd be... you.

@ Dexter

" I am sure BG has a mean-spirited answer to that."

Not particularly, other than I'm curious why you presume "massive disappointment" for the Chinese person in your fable. Sounds like there's a bit of projection going on there... The story -could- end differently, but you refuse to allow it to.

" ...I wonder how they can even consider themselves Christians."

Me too. I'd make a lousy Christian. Conflicted, apathetic, opportunistic... there's times I'm really ashamed of myself... 'nah. Like anything else in life, emotionally-speaking, you get what you give. Suits me fine. My religion's personal; I don't have to justify or support it to anyone (not that that's possible anyways..) "Organized religion" is another matter entirely. I view it simply as just another lobby promoting their interests. But I digress... I'm just not in the mood for another David Johnson-type science vrs. faith discussion. I've sworn off, sorry.

May 7, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • tallulah13

(I'm sorry if this is a double post> I just watched the Kentucky Derby with friends,and have enjoyed one too many mint juleps)

BG: I'm sorry that you are such a coward that you wish to deprive others of the rights given by the const_itution. Perhaps you should just stay under your rock if you are so afraid.

True Americans stand up for equal rights for all beliefs. That is the strength of this nation;.

Again, sorry about the spelling.Victory on the track equals mint julep-y fun.

May 7, 2011 at 9:27 pm |

@ tallulah13

... and you're taking precious mint julep / victory time to post on this nit-witty blog? You need to re-evaluate your priorities! Enjoy and congrats! Tell 'em I suggested a heavy hand with the SC and lots of ice... we drank them like that in L-ville.

May 7, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
    • Rogue

@BG – You aren't gonna bite? Dang.

May 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
    • Peace2All

@BG

Hey there -BG... I see you have been making lots of friends...?

Well, seriously, from what i've read here... I basically agree with you on your points. Nicely said.

And... dam-n, I know how hard you are 'trying' to be civil. I gotta' say, you seem to be...at least in a few of the posts i've seen... to be doing a pretty darn good job.

Peace brother...

May 8, 2011 at 2:59 am |

@ Peace2All

Yep, it's my magnetic personality working in overdrive attracting all the nuts, bolts and nails.

Here I am, your basic snake slithering through the grass, minding my own business, and, without fail, a bunch of natives spot me, scream sssssSSSNAAAKE !!! ... make a circle around me and commence trying to beat me with sticks and stones...

.. and I don't even bite. I'm not poisonous and I've got no fangs...

I just hiss...

Regards

May 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • Catherine

Arthur Destrada ‘I am more afraid of sitting next to a pastor ..who will not stop trying to convert me ‘

You would have got a lot more than just trying to convert, if these muslims laid their hands on you and your daughter in muslim countries. Do you read the daily news of muslims raping, killing, beheading?

For some recent stats read my comment above.

A few weeks ago, I returned from a Memorial Mass for 42 year old Martyr Shahbaz Bhatti, a Minister in the Pakistani Government who was shot dead. The Islamic assassins shouting Allah Akhba while shooting him.

Muslims have not only burned 1000s of bibles but in their so called holy books encourage their followers to use the pages of the Holy Bible to whipe their asses after defecation.

How about that? Do Christians go on rampagea of mass murder?.

May 9, 2011 at 10:37 am |
  6. BG

First, Delta's Conditions of Carriage:

Look on page 25 under rule #5.

American's Conditions of Carriage are even more specific:
    Look under "Acceptance of Passengers" Section 6.

There's probably a number of things going on here...

First is the captain's interpretation of the airlines conditions of carriage and the application of his opinion based upon any passenger complaints or his own concerns. We don't have these facts yet. We do know that passengers are routinely refused boarding based upon inappropriate attire which would reasonably be deemed offensive to other passengers. Southwest is renown for doing this, but the practice is not exclusive to them.

The second question is, given the behavior demonstrated by Muslims bombing airplanes over the years, can an overt Muslim presence, especially a week after the killing of a Muslim terrorist leader, be construed as unreasonable risk of harm to other passengers? Of course it can. Juan was absolutely right, and he knows it.

Or was this whole thing a setup? Was the pilot in on it? Why was one of the first calls that 'imams' made to CAIR?

Will the airline refuse to support it's pilot and kowtow to Muslim legal threats and negative PR? Of course. I'm sure that the imams planned their contingencies out to the letter and counted on this being a win-win to their agenda. Poor disparaged, victimized Muslims. Poor, poor peaceful Muslims – so tolerant, enlightened, and compassionate of other religions. Such a shame people misunderstand you. It's all our fault, I know.

Seems that we can't see the Islamic threat through the tears of our own political correctness. We're such bad, bigoted people. Maybe we should be more like you?

May 7, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • Osama bin Laden

I WON ! ! ! I turned Americans into sniveling little cowards who destroy their own liberties and oppress everyone they are afraid of ! I did it ! I won !

I wanted Americans to oppress Muslims so they would rise up in defiance and resist, and that's happened too !

I WON ! AMERICA LOST ITS DIGNITY ! I WON !

May 7, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • BG

No, you waterlogged putz.. you just opened our eyes to a threat and forced us to deal with it.

May 7, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  7. One of Many Keiths

The pilot was the bigot. He claimed that passengers were uncomfortable, but there does not seem to be any support for that comment – might be true, might not. But the pilot by law controlled whether he would take off with the Muslim passengers, and twice refused. He is the main bigot.

May 7, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Reality

Maybe the pilot lost friends on 9/11?

May 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • tallulah13

Reality
      If the events of 9/11 effect him this way, he shouldn't have a commercial pilot's license. Personal bigotry has no place in a professional environment. These individuals had been screened as thoroughly as possible. Only prejudice kept them off the plane.

I'm not a fan of lawsuits and I hope these imams have the grace to just let this go, but if they do take it to court, I hope they win.

May 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  8. aidan baxter

Should have removed the other passengers as they were the ones who had a problem.

May 7, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
  9. Reality

What instigated the attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon? And what drives today's 24/7 mosque/imam-driven acts of terror and horror? The koran, Mohammed's book of death for all infidels and Muslim domination of the world by any means. Muslims must clean up this book removing said passages admitting that they are based on the Gabriel myth and therefore obviously the hallucinations and/or lies of Mohammed. Then we can talk about the safety and location of mosques and what is taught therein. Until then, no Muslim can be trusted anytime or anywhere..................................

May 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • jefe

People who say no muslim can be trusted cannot be trusted.

May 7, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • Dave

Actually, psychopathic behavior instigated the attacks. Just because this guy hid behind religion, doesn't prove anything. He could have hid behind atheism. Then where would you be with your theory?

May 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  10. GSA

Another story said the pilot made the final decision to not fly even after they made it through 2 security checkpoints and were re-checked after complaints. So the pilot catered to a bunch of bigots on the plane...disgusting!

May 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  11. GSA

Horrible story and the pilot is a complete mor-on. How can someone so utterly close-minded be qualified to fly a plane?
    Americans get scared at the drop of a pin these days, why make judgements based on fear and discrimination? If we all did this then women wouldn't trust men, blacks wouldn't trust whites, children and parents wouldn't trust priests, etc.
    America the free right?

May 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
  12. Dexter Skagway

Osama bin Laden won. He wanted Americans to become so fearful that they would become oppressive and start destroying their freedoms in the name of security. He wanted us to react oppressively against Muslims so that they would rise up against America.

Consti-tutional freedoms are always tested in the areas most people don't like, not the ones everyone does like. It's your challenge, the one the Founding Fathers gave us. Can you keep America's cherished Liberty alive when you disagree with the specific use of the Liberty? It's bin Laden's challenge, too. Can you keep liberty alive when a bully makes you fearful?

Benjamin Franklin: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Bin Laden's terrorism won, not because terror had to win, but because too many Americans do not have the courage to stand up for Liberty when they are a bit afraid.

May 7, 2011 at 11:54 am |
  13. Kevin

"The two – who hold high religious positions in the Muslim community – were headed to North Carolina for a conference on prejudice against Muslims, or Islamaphobia." ..wow.. I hope they sue like there's no tomorrow. If that doesn't prove that there's a problem here, I don't know what will. Muslims in this country are turning into what African American people were in the 1960's (I know that Muslims aren't a race). But man, are they being mistreated right now!!

May 7, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • Big Sam

African American people are still being treated this way in 2011. The heat is off of us temporarily while the current focus shifts back to Al Qaeda. It'll die down, just like after 9/11. Same old bs in the country. Give me a break.

May 7, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  14. Kevin

"The two – who hold high religious positions in the Muslim community – were headed to North Carolina for a conference on prejudice against Muslims, or Islamaphobia." wow..

May 7, 2011 at 11:09 am |
  15. PraiseTheLard

The airline should change its name to WASP Air...

May 7, 2011 at 11:04 am |
    • Scramas

they would have to put giant stingers in the tails of the planes
      not gonna happen

May 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • Kasminder

Calling it WASP air is completely an idiotic comment. It wasnt as if there were only White Anglo Saxon Protestants on the plane. There were probably people of all creeds, religions and race, who all wanted them off the plane. I understand wearing traditional garb is important to them, and I respect that, but common sense must prevail. With Osama dead, everyone is fearing retaliation. So common sense for a Muslim would be to not wear anything provocative. It would be like a WASP wandering into Iran wearing a Washington Nationals jersey which is basically an american flag. Common sense must dictate over tolerance always.

May 9, 2011 at 10:44 am |
  16. Keith

Well, if those Bhuddists do have a poor track record when it comes to flying.

May 7, 2011 at 10:41 am |
  17. sadiesadie

As much as I hate the idea of profiling, I can't say I blame them being fearful after this week. I am shocked that the airline actually took them off the plane.
    I would think that Muslims would be a bit more sensitive to the situation and do nothing to agravate it.
    All in all I am sure there will be a major law suit.

May 7, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • AKJ

Should alll Catholic Priests be considered Terrorists?

May 7, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • Catherine

AKJ “Father James Chesney was a catholic priest in Northern Ireland, and involved in a bombing, that killed 9 people in 1972 Should alll Catholic Priests be considered Terrorists?”

Has it been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that this priest was involved in a bombing in 1972. If so it is a crime and a grave sin. He has to answer to God and will be punished for it.

However, how many Catholics and priests have been committing acts of terrorism since 1972, I wonder?

HERE IS A SAMPLE OF THE KNOWN ATTACKS AN OTHER CRIMES COMMITTED AROUND THE WORLD IN THE NAME OF ISLAM FOR THE WEEK OF APRIL 30 – MAY 06 2011

Jihad Attacks: 37

Dead Bodies: 161

Critically Injured: 302

2011.05.07 (Cairo, Egypt) – Fundamentalists assault a church with firebombs and gunfire, killing five Copt defenders and four more in the ensuing riot

2011.05.07 (Narathiwat, Thailand) – Religious separatists shoot a farmer to death.

2011.05.07 (Pattani, Thailand) – Muslim militants detonate a bomb at a soccer field where police are playing a friendly game with villagers, killing four.

2011.05.06 (Fallujah, Iraq) – An accused 'enemy of Allah' is kidnapped and beheaded.

2011.05.06 (Kano, Nigeria) – Seventeen residents of a Christian village, including a pastor's wife and three children are massacred in a pre-dawn Muslim attack.

2011.05.06 (Quetta, Pakistan) – Eight Shiites visiting a cemetery are targeted and killed in a Sunni rocket attack.

Now you tell me why any sane person would want to travel on a plane with those two imams?

May 8, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
  18. Finger Puppet

It was a STUNT. These 2 are laughing their way to the bank.
    Remember 5 years ago, (I suppose the "reading challenged" in the two states mentioned couldn't have read about this), 5 imams, going to the SAME conference were pulled off a NWA, (now Delta) plane in Minneapolis. They sued. They got millions. Hahahahahaha. Congratulations guys. It worked.

May 7, 2011 at 10:16 am |
    • Faux Paws

Exactly what I was thinking. They fell for it again. Heh heh.

May 7, 2011 at 10:58 am |
  19. dr. perry fisher

I would have asked for their removal along with their baggage.

May 7, 2011 at 9:49 am |
  20. K

Question to the concerned passengers from that flight: "Why would someone attempting a terror attack wear garb that would make them 'stick out'?"

Common Sense: Our 'Other' National Debt.

May 7, 2011 at 9:47 am |
    • Ingrid

K

I agree with you. After 2 screenings it is hard to justify this kind of act. A little like Driving While Black.

May 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • capscorp

anyone taking this story seriously is retarded....the irony that there were headed to conference for islamophobia !!!
      very skeptical n comes at an opportune time..Muslims paying CNN...they always pull crap like this

May 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Catherine

For the same reason Osama chose to live for 5 years in a City not far from the government body and surrounded by military personnel in Pakistan. No one suspected them as even they say. I wonder how many other accomplices were on that plane? Every single terror attack was committed by so called normal looking Muslims. Remember Fort Hood?

May 8, 2011 at 12:02 pm |