home
RSS
My Take: Catholic Church should reverse opposition to in vitro fertilization
Carolyn and Sean Savage with their kids.
May 10th, 2011

My Take: Catholic Church should reverse opposition to in vitro fertilization

Editor's note: Sean Savage is coauthor of "Inconceivable: A Medical Mistake, the Baby We Couldn't Keep, and Our Choice to Deliver the Ultimate Gift" and a cradle Catholic who lives in Sylvania, Ohio, with his wife and three children.

By Sean Savage, Special to CNN

According to the Roman Catholic Church, the only moral route to conceiving a child is through sexual intercourse. As a Catholic, I find the church's position to be discriminatory against couples who have medical conditions that prevent them from conceiving in that manner.

I never intended to challenge the church when my wife and I pursued in vitro fertilization in an effort to expand our family after a decade of unsuccessful infertility treatments. We loved our two boys and we'd always wanted a big family. After a successful IVF procedure in 2007 brought us our daughter in 2008, we tried again so that we could fulfill our commitment to give every embryo we created a chance at life.

When a fertility center made a critical error by transferring another couple's embryos to my wife, we were thrust into an unusual pregnancy and eventually found ourselves at the center of an intense media storm. On September 24, 2009, the day Carolyn gave birth to a very loved baby boy, who was immediately turned over to his genetic parents, the Catholic Diocese of Toledo released a statement to The Toledo Blade condemning IVF as "morally unacceptable."

Because we were the focus of the news, we felt as though the diocese was really condemning us.

The statement hurt Carolyn and me tremendously. We had hoped for the church's support and prayer on one of the hardest days we've ever faced.

Carolyn and I have always believed in our stewardship responsibilities to the church. I'd given thousands of hours over the years to coaching youth through my local parish, have raised funds for Catholic churches and schools and have given charitably to church causes. Carolyn had dedicated her career to teaching and working as a principal in Catholic schools.

Follow CNN’s Belief Blog on Twitter

Instead of support, the church branded us in a very public way with the apparently shameful letters IVF. Why couldn't the church recognize our journey for what it was - an affirmation of the sanctity of life? Their negative response motivated me to look closer at the issue.

I believe there is an ethical path a couple can take when pursuing IVF and I ask the Roman Catholic Church to consider adopting a new doctrine that provides moral guidance for Catholic couples on how to do so.

While I share many concerns with the Catholic Church about abuses within the science of IVF, I disagree with a number of points the church makes on the issue. The church spelled out its stance in Donum Vitae, a 1987 doctrine on biomedical issues released by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith - an office then led by Cardinal Joseph Ratziner, who is now Pope Benedict XVI - and in 2008's Dignitas Personae, another influential church document.

The original doctrine states that "even if it (IVF) is considered in the context of 'de facto' existing sexual relations, the generation of the human person is deprived of its proper perfection; namely, that of being the result and fruit of a conjugal act." Dignitas Personae echoes this position by stating "human procreation is a personal act of a husband and wife, which is not capable of substitution."

I am personally opposed to the intentional destruction and discarding of unwanted embryos and understand why this is condemned by the church. But to state that a child born of IVF is less perfect than a child created through sexual intercourse is absurd. Is the church truly claiming that our beautiful and innocent daughter, conceived through an IVF procedure, is somehow "less" because of how her physical life began? In her, Carolyn and I see God's precious creation.

Of course, the creation of a child through a conjugal act is the preferred method because it is the most natural, least expensive and least stressful. But that shouldn't mean it should be the only acceptable route to conception.

What about Catholic men and women who have legitimate medical conditions, like endometriosis, which Carolyn has and which caused infertility despite efforts at surgical intervention?

Carolyn and I would have been happy to save thousands of dollars and a decade of emotional ups and downs by conceiving the "old-fashioned way," but that wasn't possible. We turn to medicine for a litany of medical maladies and impairments, but infertile Catholics are supposed to avoid treating a medical condition which prevents them from building or expanding their family?

Yes, adoption is a wonderful option for the couples who decide it's right for them, but adoption should never be forced on anyone.

The Donum Vitae doctrine also states that "in vitro fertilization is in itself illicit and in opposition to the dignity of procreation and of the conjugal union even when everything is done to avoid the death of the human embryo."

The term "illicit" has such a grave connotation and to use it in this context seems quite out of place. Should a couple that seeks a child through IVF, and that does so with a commitment to allow every embryo a chance at life, be considered to be participating in an illicit activity?

The most perplexing and pejorative language from Donum Vitae is that "marriage does not confer upon the spouses the right to have a child... the child has the right, as already mentioned to be the fruit of the specific act of the conjugal love of his parents and has the right to be respected as a person from the moment of conception."

Babies born of IVF are here because their parents loved, respected and longed for these children well before conception. These children could not get here through the conjugal love of their parents and it took a very deep love, respect, and commitment to pursue the medical treatment needed to conceive through IVF. There is no doubt in my mind that God is working through loving parents and ethical doctors to allow these children to come into this world.

Now for the ironic in Donum Vitae: "Scientists are to be encouraged to continue their research with the aim of preventing causes of sterility and of being able to remedy them so that sterile couples will be able to procreate in full respect for their own personal dignity and that of the child to be born."

So although there are solutions for sterile couples today, those should not be sought because they are outside of the conjugal act? If Carolyn and I were to wait until the scientific advances described in this statement before pursuing additional children, we would not have our daughter - or the opportunity to welcome two more children into this world this August.

If science can advance to the point that all procreation can happen within the confines of the conjugal act, that would be incredible. But what do couples do while waiting the years and probable decades before these advances come to fruition?

The challenge for the church is to see the beauty in the science and that there is a path within IVF that is worthy of God's grace and approval.

The church's presence in this field could help limit abuses and disregard for human life through advocacy, education, and support. Perhaps it could provide counselors as couples pursue IVF and face many technical and nuanced decisions. And maybe the church could help couples navigate even more complex situations, like embryo adoption.

Carolyn and I were victims of the worst IVF mistake on record. But we remain proponents of the science and understand the good that is done by God through ethical physicians in this industry. We value and support the sanctity of life, even if it's created with the help of IVF.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Sean Savage.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Opinion • Pope Benedict XVI • Sexuality • Technology

soundoff (1,281 Responses)
  1. Jonathan

But if they allow in vitro then that's one less argument against gay marriage...If it doesn't take a man and a woman to use the only natural means of conception (intercourse) to produce a child, then the floodgates will be opened.

May 10, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  2. AIZEN

this church need to be banished and abolished...useless, pedophiles, murderer, liars...always trying to keep man in the dark in everything...idol worshiping with full of statutes everywhere...pimps etc....this so call church and religion is a cancer in humanity like so many others religions and churches....

May 10, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  3. kmwindisch

Since the catholic church (notice the small letters here) condems my son's method of conception, they get no claim on his soul, and no claim on my money, screw the former Nazi Pope and his policies.

May 10, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Padraig

That is another intelligent comment coming from the gallery. The Nazi Pope? If you knew the history of Germany during this time every German outside of being Jewish was mandated to join the Nazi party. I doubt you were there and I definately doubt you ever walked in his shoes.

I am Irish Catholic and even though I disagree with some of their policies, I speak my peace with respect to both sides. I will not ridicule a person on their thoughts as long as they are respectable. Inane comments will receive a different answer (see Artist).

May 10, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  4. Michael

I'm sorry for what this couple endured at the hands of the Church, but they must also remember that the Church must speak to social issues and call Catholics back to the elements not of the religion but of faith itself. It's not easy to grasp, but it is not unlike a child who must be upbraided by parents from time to time.

More than this, I grieve at the statements so many make that the Lord and His Church must somehow "get with the program". That's just blasphemy coming from the faithful.

May 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • bp

Michael– The Church's teachings, regardless of denomination, are wonderful and great ... except as it pertains to "me". The Great Schism, the Reformation, the counter-Reformation, and the continuing Reformation of today through so-called 'megachurches" of a nondenominational nature are continuing evidence of hundreds of thousands of people who only respond to what they like to hear. It is the certain reality of a consumerist mentality that insists upon "my way every day" and a "cheap grace" that the Lord Himself is little more than a personal genie who grants wishes.

Thats funny Michael cause of course the Catholic Church isn't guilty of the same thing. Its not like they ever held a council or anything to decide what books to be considered cannon for the holy scriptures..... oh wait, my bad I forgot about the Council of Nicea in 325 AD where they determined which books to be cannon and which ones didn't so they could be thrown out as heresy because they didn't like what they taught. That about covers it right... wait I forgot again. There was also the 2nd Council of Nicea in 787 AD where they decided to make idol worship legal again cause they liked it. Way to contradict yourself buddy.

May 10, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  5. Bob

Large families should be discouraged. The world is already over populated and it's getting to the point that each additional birth results in a death elsewhere due to the extra resources needed to care for the new child.

May 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Artist

Like the Mormons they want you to breed the crap out of your wives until the uterus falls out to bring more potertial ignorant followers into the world.

May 10, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  6. Jay

This is not the will of God. If God wanted you to be parents, then you would have children. For whatever reason, you as parents are not part of Gods grand plans. Buffet catholicism is not good catholicism. You either accept all of the churces edicts, or non at all.

May 10, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  7. Kim

For those on this post that are against fertility treatments because you say it's not God's will, that only God can give or take life; do you not see a doctor regularly, if you had cancer or a heart attack would you not seek "science" to help heal you? I would then expect you would allow an illness to just take its course as it would be God's will. It's the same with fertility, if there's a medical condition that can be helped with science why not take advantage of that. Why is it ok to save a life but not create a new one? There are so many people in this world abusing the children God gave them and you berate those who are trying to have children to love? And those saying people should adopt instead, you go adopt a child then tell everyone else to, I'm tired of people who have no children telling everyone else to do it.

May 10, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Artist

Kim you are speaking to rocks. They cannot see beyond self imposed ignorance. Picture yourself talking to someone from the dark ages. Same people just present day now.

May 10, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  8. Steve

Hi Sean, what a wonderful looking family you and Carolyn have! I'll bet this photograph was used for your Christmas card? If not, is should have been! Don't get all hung up about what the Church says, they are not speaking on behalf of God. If they were, they'd would have sent you a card or a letter saying how proud they are of you. I'm sure they would have. Have a great summer Steve

May 10, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  9. Scott Johnson

I think it is easy to try and understand the pain that this couple would feel. However, if you read Donum Vitae, I can tell you that you are incorrect in your understanding of 'proper perfection.' I am a bit shocked that CNN would let you write this without a better understanding. The conception of a child, which of itself requires the act of God, is perfect. However, the method of IVF is not a proper method of which to participate in this perfection. God nor the Church in any way is saying that your daughter is less perfect than anyone else. Regarding some statements here that state 'why would a child be able to be conceived if God did not wil it,' again are in complete ignorance to the teaching of the Magisterium. Just because God permits something to occur doesn't mean it is His Will, something called individual free will is allowed to supercede any action by God because in His wisdom He allows men to make their own choices even if they are against His commandments. Frankly, and obviously a hard thing at times for many people, we can not cafeteria style our beliefs. Jesus tells us so when he told the people of His day that they had to eat His flesh and drink His blood. Many found this teaching too hard to believe ad left. Jesus did not change His teaching so they would come back did He?

May 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Patricius

My wife and I went through infertility for several years. We saw a "world renowned" fertility specialist who in the end basically told us that our only option was IVF. Being Catholics we knew that this was not a moral option and sought out the Church for some hard answers. The Church was very sympathetic to our situation and very charitably explained to us the position on IVF. We basically already knew the answer, but we just wanted to be sure so we weren't missing out on some opportunity. Next came the adoption process. I went in support of my wife to Catholic Charities to talk about adoption. I have no doubt that adoption is very pleasing to God, but my wife and I just didn't feel like we were ready for it. Then came the part were we had to accept our fate of a life without our own children. Depression set in for while and we turned even more toward the Church for meaning in life. We finally came out of depression and were learning to be happy and it really wasn't that hard because we were in love and we had each other. A few years went by and as we continue to grow in our faith we started praying for children rekindling a ray of hope. I won't go into great detail, but we prayed a novena for God to bless us with a child. A novena usually last 9 days and if it is God's will you will get what you asked for, but either way you will get what you need.

On the ninth day of the first novena we received a call from one of my sister-in-laws asking us to be godparents. It was a blessing.

Then we decided to pray another novena asking for a child. On the ninth day we received another call from a different sister-in-law asking us to be godparents. (We have a big family) Another blessing and slightly comical.

So we decided to try once more. This time, there were no young babies that we need baptism so there was no chance of the same thing happening again. Ninth day of the third novena. A call from another sister-in-law saying that they had finally decided to get their children baptized into the Catholic faith at the ages of 11 and 13 and they wanted us to be godparents. I almost couldn't believe it. Another bittersweet blessing from God.

We decided to lay off that novena for a little while since our spiritual family was getting very large. Shortly after we were talking to my uncle who recommended a Catholic fertility specialist. We were a little hesitant at first because we didn't want to go through the emotional process again, but we made an appointment.

Before seeing the doctor we had to take classes on how to chart my wifes fertility. Our teacher was so optimistic but we were cautiously optimistic after all we had been through. We finished the course and started charting. We brought the chart to our new Catholic doctor and had a consultation. After a minor surgery to clean up some endometriosis and some blood work, the doctor identified a blood mutation. This blood mutation was the cause of us losing three children shortly after conception in past pregnancies. The prescription was over-the-counter vitamins to combat the blood mutation.

Two months later we were pregnant. We now have two children and are stronger than ever in our faith in God and the Church.

May 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  10. susan kennedy

As a Catholic who was unable to conceive naturally, (and who chose IVF and the GIFT procedure to get pregnant) I wanted to share my thoughts on this topic. I struggled with the Church's stance on the topic. I firmly believe that God would want me to have children and would want me to do whatever I could do to make this happen. When i get to the pearly gates, I will hopefully be able to thank God for the gift of y kids

May 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  11. Susan

Is it not fair to then have the church forbid any type of medical intervention to extend a life? Natural is natural. If it's God's will someone to have treatable cancer- then let them die a long miserable death. If it's God's will for a child to have diabetes – then let them die without treating with insulin? The world of science and technological advancements afftect almost every person in the modern world in some way- why is IVF a different case? There are many examples of how the sicence of IVF is inappropriately applied, I completely agree. However, that being said – I am a 36 year old woman who, along with my husband spend four years trying to conceive only to have male factor infertility problems. I am now watching our 15 month old twins play and giggle on the floor as I type this & I can't comprehend how anyone would judge us for being financially, emotionally and physically ready to bring these girls into the world only to love and care for them until they are grown, educated and contributing members of society. Being fertile doesn't make you a 'natural' parent. In so many cases pregnancy is too easy & the parenting part is where it all falls apart, should these people then be sterilized to prevent abuse and neglect?

May 10, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  12. ZJB

@ Wanda – Sean aknowledged that adoption was an option but also that it is not for everyone. Why do only infertiles get the 'why don't you just adopt' routine? Do you have children? If so I'm pretty sure there were plenty of kids needing to be placed into loving adoptive homes when you were building your family by getting pregnant...why didn't you just adopt??

May 10, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  13. Artist

God's will is already done, if he/she/it did not want IVF to work, they wouldn't have kids. Unless IVF is more powerful than someone's god?

May 10, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  14. AtomicPunk

Society will never move forward with the barbaric rules of the catholic church and other short-sighted religions holding it back. The catholic church doesn't own God nor does any other religion. If a couple wants to have kids, they should be allowed to by whatever means necessary. God knows there are enough unwanted children in the world. We need to try to end the suffering. Let's wake up.

May 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • Mark

@AtominPunk – I know "moving forward" seems essential to living in society, but the question I ask is what are you moving forward to? There is no clear cut answer to this and everyone would answer differently which is problematic. Then, who would you believe to have the correct answer? Yourself? You also assume by being Catholic you sibject yourself to medival way of life. This is simply not true as the Church has introduced more social and scientific breakthoughs in the past 500 years, if you heard them, a progressive would be forced to deny them in disbelief.

May 10, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Ituri

How many HUNDREDS of years did it take for the Catholic church to say "hey, Galileo was right and we shouldn't have killed him, or any of the other scientists studying the world who said things we didn't like."

We're moving forward to a better future, where people aren't hampered by religious lies, where children are not raised in homes that believe in fairy tales. My own life was put on hold for 24 years because of those belief systems, and I'm only glad I escaped... most do not.

May 10, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Stevie7

And what are these major scientific breakthroughs in the past 500 years that the church had such influence over? It certainly wouldn't be Newtonian mathematics/physics, atomic physics, quantum physics, evolution, or relativistic physics. (and that's just off the top of my head)

May 10, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Padraig

Towards Stevie7 and Ituri. To answer your questions what did the Catholic church bring to the world? Let's see some Catholic scientists – Bacon, Copernicus, Magnus, Grimaldi, Boscovich, and Mendel to say a few.

From the Catholic universities they have sent scientists, doctors, and priests around the world to help assist the less foturnate. One priest was Father Damien. For synthesizing rubber, see Father Nieuwland and his work in this field. You need to do some research before you write. Try using google it is a decent tool.

Is the Catholic Church perfect, no, first to admit that but I am proud to be Catholic.

May 10, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Ituri

Nice dodge of the question I asked. But then, most religious people can't answer simple questions, so its expected.

I did not ask for a list of scientists your blessed church LIKED. I asked about all those it had MURDERED or house arrested for life, or had their work torched. Hundreds, thousands of scientists, lives and knowledge wasted. And only in my lifetime did they apologize for killing some of the FOUNDERS of our scientific principles, 100's of years dead. Its pathetic, and I rather think you KNOW its pathetic, or you would be willing to address the question directly.

May 10, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  15. Artist

I really can't feel sorry for couples who subject themselves to dark ages type of thinking. Eather leave the pathetic catholic church or keep subjecting yourself to ignorance.

May 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • CIndy

exactly!

May 10, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Padraig

That is ignorant. Because of teachings you don't agree with you have to ridicule or make inane comments. If you don't understand the Catholicism maybe you should go paint a stick figure

May 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • Brett Lewis

Catholic priests can't have children, so they are not really qualified to form an opinion. They do like little children though, especially little boys. Can I have an amen?

May 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Artist

Padraig

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      Forgive me if I give my opinion on dark age ment al ity. Interesting you said St ick Figure. I will paint a Figure on a Sti ck and ti tle it Rusty N ails S u cc k. Thank you for the idea, it was like you were sent from god to give me the idea.

May 10, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Lisa

@ Artist.........exactly, either leave the Catholic church or shut up!!

May 10, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  16. gerald

And so we have hear a board with many amature theologians who have never studied the why's of the Churches teaching. I.e. have never dug in to John Paul II's theology of the body. Declaring themselves to be greater moral theologians than the Church. And I am betting the most of you haven't even read the Bible cover to cover. Everybody wants to make up their own story of right and wrong. If you call yourself Catholic but reject it's teaching you are no Catholic and are committing sacrilege when you go to communiont.

[22] What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God and humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I commend you in this? No, I will not.
    [23]

For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread,

[24] and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."
    [25] In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."
    [26] For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.
    [27]

Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord.

May 10, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Joe Schmoe

Do you remember when you were an Embryo ?

May 10, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  17. bvilleyellowdog

Welcome to the 14th century.

May 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • gerald

Welcome to the 21st century. "will their be any belief left on earth?" JC 35AD.

May 10, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  18. Mark

@Lourdes – excellent point. I think the best Catholic response is that diabetic medication, brain surgry, heart surgery etc.. is actually addressing the saving of a life and is morally accepted by the Church. IVF is a choice a couple makes an not neccessary to maintaining the life of the parents.

May 10, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • gerald

IVF is destructive to life. Hundreds of thousands of embryo's are frozen or destroyed. The supporters of IVF care nothing about these who are children of God with souls.

May 10, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • WB

Having a broken leg or torn up knee won't kill you either but the Catholic church doesn't seem opposed to using medical technology to fix it.

May 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Hitch

‘IVF is destructive to life. Hundreds of thousands of embryo's are frozen or destroyed. ‘

A frozen embryo isn’t a destroyed embryo.

Numerous clinical studies have been conducted & have found that ~30% of all conceptions (not IVF, just regular conceptions) end in spontaneous abortions, that is without any action by the mother, father, or doctor, the dividing embryo abruptly stops dividing & dies. This is the ‘divine plan’ as it were that you think is occurring. Why god would setup such a haphazard and quite hazardous process for the mother to ensure is questionable. Worse still is that if it’s the plan that the egg would be fertilized & began to divide only to later die begs the questions as to why the needless death, misery, & suffering?

May 10, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  19. Bill

I am a cradle Catholic and do not understand the constant complaining from people who want to change the teachings of the Church because it doesn't match their lifestyle. The purpose of these teachings is to provide a path to follow and not to bend to our society’s current moral standards. If you do not believe in the teachings of the Catholic Church you are in the wrong religion.
    Each society has different values and standards and the Church provides one set for all people to follow. If we in the US want to allow our moral standards to drive doctrine where will it end? If we took what is acceptable in every culture and said it is ok there would be no doctrine at all.

May 10, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • gerald

Amen. It is relativism run rampant. They call evil good and good evil.

May 10, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Ituri

Know what I call "evil?" Catholic parents who tell all my Hispanic friends, the girls, that taking the Pill will make them permenantly sterile. So they don't take birth control, they can't get condoms, and what happens? Unwanted pregnancy. Then its "punish this sinful girl," by forcing her to have that unwanted baby she was never ready for, not educated about, and will forever be stigmatized by in her community, all because her parents LIED to her to keep her in your blasted Catholic no-birth-control principle.

Adapting to the real world means solving problems before they begin. Tell your kids the TRUTH. Realize they WILL have s e x eventually, and prepare them for it. Don't hide it, lie to them, then punish them when the inevitable happens.

But let me guess, thats all "too relativistic" for you.

May 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Bruce

Totally agree with you, which is why I left the church years ago. I didn't agree with the Catholic Church's stand on protecting pedophile priest over children. Apparently you and others here had no problem with that.

May 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  20. M

This article is ridiculous. NAPRO is 99.9% effective in acheiving pregnancy in the most desperate of cases, and it's approved by the Catholic Church. IVF is pricey, complicated, and painful... and there's no 99.9% guarantee. NAPRO is free unless you need a followup with a doctor's visit. *facepalm*

May 10, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Bill

Amen!

May 10, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • WayneF

You're a liar. And you call yourself a Christian?

May 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Kris

Not if your husband has 0 sperm due to a genetic abnormality. And there is no surgical remedy.

May 10, 2011 at 2:15 pm |