home
RSS
Baldwin goes behind camera for faith-based video
Stephen Baldwin (left) partnered with singer Cory Lamb on the video "Break the Cycle"
May 20th, 2011

Baldwin goes behind camera for faith-based video

By Steve Almasy, CNN

(CNN) - Singer Cory Lamb’s new single is called “Break the Cycle,” a song about going from the world where you exist for yourself to one where you live for God.

“It’s about being in the world, not of it,” Lamb said recently by phone from New York.

The message of the song resonates with Stephen Baldwin, the youngest of the acting Baldwin siblings and a devout Christian who has been known to share his story of redemption - and his own breaking of “the cycle.”

Baldwin, who says he was born again shortly after the attacks of 9/11, directed the video for Lamb’s debut song on his new CD, also entitled “Break the Cycle.” It’s the first time Baldwin has ever directed a music video. But he seemed unfazed by being behind the camera instead of being in his usual spot out front.

“I was pretty jazzed when someone [from the PR agency both men use] gave me the song,” Baldwin said. “It’s just my natural creative excitement. I got a vision in my head, and pretty much what you see in the video is what came to me the first time I heard the song.”

He said he relied on his experience on sets, as well as his "organic" learning process about how to take what's on paper and in his mind and setting it on film. Baldwin has been in more than 60 movies and said he’s been told many times by producers that he should try directing. Nothing surprised him about the video-making process, he said, except how much fun he had.

Lamb said he loved working with Baldwin, whom he knew as the character “Barney Rubble” in the live-action film "The Flintstones," and had his nervousness quickly allayed when he met the high-intensity Baldwin, who was yin to his low-key yang.

“I’m easygoing and he’s full of energy,” Lamb said. “He really loves what he does.”

The video was shot for the most part with the help of film students at Florida State University.

“They were a real blessing,” Baldwin said. “It was a little bit of a risk to use the kids, but many of them knew as much as the people on the crews of the movies I’ve been in. That’s not an exaggeration.”

Each day, Baldwin would gather together a small group and pray before beginning work. It wasn’t a big group prayer, he said, because he wanted to respect the feelings of everyone on the set.

“We didn’t want to be too forward with the other members of the crew,” he said. “They knew what we were about. I prefer to lead by example.”

Lamb, who defines his music not as Christian per se but as having a positive message, said he was like a fish out of water as an actor. But he said the actor-turned-director got a good performance out of him in typical Stephen Baldwin fashion - with enthusiastic correction.

“He yelled sometimes, but he did it in a loving way,” Lamb said. “He was very driven by his vision.”

Lamb has the potential to act in longer-form projects, Baldwin said. But he’s so impressed by Lamb’s songs.

“He has such vision,” Baldwin said. “And I was totally blown away by his music. He has a very unique sound.”

Their paths will separate for now. Baldwin has been working on two faith-based films, including one called "I’m In Love With The Church Girl." He’s also considering a feature-film directing opportunity. Lamb is focused on touring and, when that is done, wants to go on a mission trip to Haiti with the Christian nonprofit Conduit Mission.

- Producer/Writer

Filed under: Culture & Science • Faith • Florida • Music • TV

1. sdgman

If I were a betting man I would bet that Steven Baldwin was drunk as a skunk in that pic.

June 26, 2011 at 3:57 am |
  2. Dean

Have Christians in the United States been misled?
    It has been reported that the United States gives between 3 to 30 billion per year in aid, loans, grants, and U.S. contracts (U.S Jobs) to Israel each year. Israel has the unconditional support of many Christians and U.S. politicians. Whatever Israel wants they get. Just last week the U.S. House Appropriations Defense subcommittee voted to give Israel a $235.7 million contract to make missiles (don’t we make missiles here in the U.S.?). This is in addition to the $3.075 billion that President Obama has requested for Israel. Plus who knows how much private groups like Christians Untied for Israel raise for Israel.
    Israel is a wonderful place with people who want to live in peace. However, unfortunately 20,000 Israeli’s are killed each year. Not by terrorist, not by foreign armies, they are killed by legal abortion. Yes, abortion is legal in the Holy land. Not really in line with Christian beliefs, to support a country where abortion is legal. Here in the U.S. there was great concern that Obama care was going to have “Death panels”, well in Israel they really do have death panels that approve abortions. Another way of thinking about this is; in the land of the Virgin Mary and Joseph, Jesus has an 11% chance of being aborted. An average of 50 abortions each day!
    Israel has universal health care, a death panel approved abortion cost $370; an unapproved abortion cost $1000. So you be the judge if abortion is subsidized.
    Let your congressman and senator know how you feel about sending taxpayer’s money to Israel.

June 24, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Ed Angelo

Gen 12:1-3
      12:1 The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.

2 "I will make you into a great nation
      and I will bless you;
      I will make your name great,
      and you will be a blessing.
      3 I will bless those who bless you,
      and whoever curses you I will curse;
      and all peoples on earth
      will be blessed through you."
      NIV

June 25, 2011 at 3:11 am |
    • studdmuffins

What does your imbecilic rant have to do with the article?

June 26, 2011 at 11:31 am |
    • Dean

Glad you asked STUDDMUFFINS,
      Now that Steven is a big time director; I have a great idea for a movie. OK, it is a Christmas Special. Steven should team up with those guys from South Park. It will go like this; the camera will pan away from the star of Bethlehem to the three kings (played by Rev Hagee, Pat Robertson, and Huckabee) riding camels through the desert toward a manger with gifts in hand. Once they arrive at the manger they find The Virgin Mary (must be played by Sara Palin), Joseph (Netanyahu or Chuck Norris). Mary will be on a table in stirrups, spread wide open, with an Israeli government abortion doctor hard at work doing his thing (Dr. should be played by Glen Beck). The aborted fetus can be played by Kenny. Use your imagination to cast the animals in the manger. Of course if you use my idea I will need 5% of gross revenues. That includes revenues from Christmas cards and ornaments.

June 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  3. Giancarlo

He became a born again Christian after he failed at everything. If he had been successful I guarantee you that he would not have given God a second thought. That is how it is with these people that turn to religion after failures. The right thing to do is to think of God when you are successful and do good deeds as a blessing and not after the fact.

June 24, 2011 at 1:31 am |
    • Ed Angelo

Ps 69:1-3

1 Save me, O God,
      for the waters have come up to my neck .
      2 I sink in the miry depths,
      where there is no foothold.
      I have come into the deep waters;
      the floods engulf me.
      3 I am worn out calling for help;
      my throat is parched.
      My eyes fail,
      looking for my God.
      NIV

Those who call the Lord God, specially in times of trouble, shall be saved. God bless you.

June 25, 2011 at 3:24 am |
  4. davec

He's the only brother with morals. I thought his lefty liberal brother was going to leave the U.S. if Bush got elected....... Hmmmmm........ more of his grandstanding liberal B.S. Truth shall set you free!

June 24, 2011 at 12:11 am |
  5. Bradly

I find most of your comments unneeded, S.B. is doing something his believes in which is Jesus Christ and you faulit him for it when it sounds like most of you don't believe at all.Leave it alone

June 23, 2011 at 12:08 am |
  6. Joe

Directors told him to try directing because he was a lousy actor.
    He kind of leaves that part of the story out.

June 22, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  7. A Christian

DO NOT JUDGE ONE ANOTHER

“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven
    (Luke 6:37) ESV

Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment.”( John 7:24) ESV

You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. (Matthew 7:5) ESV

And the second is like, namely this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is none other commandment greater than these. (Mark 12:31)

June 21, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
    • Dorrell

Judgment is not speaking out against what is wrong. Christ, Himself, as a man spoke out against wrong, called some vipers, children of Satan.

June 22, 2011 at 10:01 am |
  8. ingyandbert

SB is a real idiot. In fact, he may even be mentally ill. He needs to just go away and stop trying to tell other people what to believe.

June 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Christ is God

Dont hate, let the man be, its his beliefs who are you to judge simple you dont like it dont read it!!

June 21, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  9. krissy

you do realize he's a complete moron, right?

June 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • davec

...... I'm pretty sure one of you is.........

June 24, 2011 at 12:13 am |
  10. CC

he looks blasted..He filed bankrupcy..How on earth did he blow so much money?? Not a good steward of his money..Hes weird but I love him I think

June 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  11. JEN

BALDWIN KEEP GETTING FAT EVERY YEAR. HE IS GOING TO HAVE A HEARTACHE SOON IF HE DON'T START LIFTING WEIGHTS. HIS GOD WILL BE TO BUSY THROWING DONATION MONEY AT THE STRIP-CLUB.

June 20, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • Christ is God

Blasphemy!!! I cant understand disrespectful people, he is not out there doing things that are not rate leave him alone

June 21, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  12. Jaybird

Is that Baldwin and his "Loverlamb"?

June 19, 2011 at 7:00 am |
  13. God

Athiesm is the largest growing religion in the US and will prevail.

June 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
    • Rick

Atheism is more of a philosophy than a religion

June 20, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Anathoth

Psalm 53:1 "The fool has said in his heart, "[There is] no God." They are corrupt, and have done abominable iniquity; [There is] none who does good"

June 21, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  14. JT

The FLINTSTONES movie which starred John Goodman as Fred, had Rick Moranis playing Barney Rubble not Steven Baldwin. Maybe there was another movie out that I don't know about?

June 17, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • MizDi

Baldwin was in the second Flintstones movie – "Viva Rock Vegas"

June 20, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  15. smiley

I know the artist personally, and he's a fake and fraud...credibility is hardly a term used for him. This sickens me to even see him on CNN.

June 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  16. Myron

He is the only Baldwin with any integrity. Good Job Stephen!

June 15, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
    • ohmygod50

Met him. He's completely self-absorbed and totally NUTS.

June 16, 2011 at 1:10 am |
    • ruhlmann

He's the only Baldwin without talent.

June 16, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
    • toshmaster1

what a dumb and biased thing to say

June 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • Brad S.

Yes, fleecing the gullible and ignorant is quite an act of integrity.

June 20, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  17. Donald in CA

Stephen need to take some acting lessions from his brothers so he can chill on the religious nut bit. This guy cant act so he is doing the glenn beck bit.

June 15, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • ohmygod50

You are so right. He's a nut-case. Religion is a great way to make money off of the desperate. He sucked as an actor on the stage, but not on his altar. He is crazy.

June 16, 2011 at 1:11 am |
    • Brad S.

Yes... fat, crazy, and with a bit of an evil look in his eye. That slightly evil look really get the sheep bah-ing.

June 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  18. AntiPalinAlaskan

And am I the only person who looked at that picture and thought "Baldwin really needs to take a 'faith-based laxative'"?

June 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • ruhlmann

No you are not the only one.

June 16, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • davec

Sounds like you "been there, done that..."

June 24, 2011 at 12:15 am |
  19. AntiPalinAlaskan

If you're "directing a 'faith-based' video", does that mean that, instead of actually telling the actors or crew what you want them to do, you just bow your head and say "Heavenly Father, I ask of you, please don't let this video suck!"?

June 15, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  20. Cynthia

Okay, there is more to the story, BUT...why does Stephen Baldwin always have to make that goofy, pseudo Brando face? Its just plain wierd and reduces any credibility he MIGHT have had.

June 15, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
    • davec

I don't see any credibility gained by putting other people down just to make yourself looks smarter.

June 24, 2011 at 12:17 am |