home
RSS
May 20th, 2011

What would Jesus do: Florida church to pray Sunday for Osama bin Laden

By Amy Sullivan, Time

The mass this Sunday at Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church in West Palm Beach will be offered on behalf of five people. Only one of them is a recently deceased head of a global terrorist network.

Parishioner Henry Borga requested the mass intention, on behalf of one Osama bin Laden, which is a long-standing tradition in the Catholic Church in which masses are offered for souls in purgatory or to remember someone who has died or in honor of someone still living. Borga told a local television channel that he placed the request for bin Laden because "he needs forgiveness and compassion from God."

Read the full story at Time.com
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Catholic Church • Osama bin Laden

1. Thinkman

Great! I just hope its not a ruse to try and covert bin Laden's soul to Catholicism. Catholics should pray for their flock and not welcome miscreants into the fold who have no desire to be subjected to Papal authority. Pray for yourself please. If you have hate in your heart, pray to rid yourself of that. bin Laden never asked you to pray for him. Don't you think you are overstepping a bit? Let God, if there is one, do his work. He doesn't need permission or encouragement from you.

May 21, 2011 at 5:34 am |
    • Dorianmode

LOL. That was a good one. Ya mean that same "papal authority" when JohnPaul I called in Cardinal Villot, told him he was fired, and to clear out his desk, and in return got murdered that night by an OD of Digitalis ? That papal authority ? Or when Cardinal Baggio was told the Vatican Bank was about to implode, and he was transferred to become Patriarch Venice, and he say, "no way" ? That "papal authority". Grow up.

May 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  2. Adelina

WWJD – Jesus would preach Gospels to Muslims who are alive.

May 21, 2011 at 3:47 am |
    • Chicken Little

Ahh really. Why would he start that now. When he was alive there was no "gospel", and that's NOT what he preached. Why would he not be threatening the economic structure of the largest city of the day, (overturning the tables of the moneychangers), committing civil disobedience, and upsetting the religious leaders of the day just as he did when he was alive ?

May 21, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Adelina

@C-L-, read the Gospels. Preaching the Gospel WAS what Jesus did to everyone. Jesus did everything what the OT-possessing Jews needed to see and hear. Muslims are not Jews. Jesus entrusted pagans to us by commanding us to preach the Gospel and make disciples out of them.

May 22, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  3. Adelina

Purgatory is not recorded in the Bible. Forgiveness and mercy of God must be received while alive by repenting of sins and believing in Jesus as Savior and Lord.

May 21, 2011 at 3:45 am |
  4. Adelina

Too late. One can not pray to the dead or for the dead. Catholics are really weird sometimes. I hope they are reading the Bible. We should pray for bin Laden's live families, friends and for Muslims to get saved by believing in Jesus.

May 20, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
    • RememberValentina

Evangelicals can be really weird sometimes. I know a lady who's an evangelical Christian and she brags about how she's saved and all that and how everyone else is going to hell. But then she's so mean to everyone. Typical Evangelical Christian IMO.

May 21, 2011 at 8:45 am |
    • RememberValentina

Evangelical Christians can be weird sometimes. They claim that the man who went and slaughtered 18 year old Valentina is a "saved" Christian. Yet Valentina's killer still has NO idea as to why he slaughtered her. In the Catholic Faith, you have to understand why you have slaughtered someone, you have to examine your conscience. And "mam I don't understand what happened." is not the words of a person who is truly sorry for their actions.

The Born Again serial killer knows what happened: He took a gun and blew off Valentina's head. Plain and simple!

All those Born Again Christian Serial killers celebrating that Jesus got them OFF the hook for their crimes.

Yes, Evangelicals are weird indeed.

May 21, 2011 at 8:50 am |
    • Adelina

@R-V-, I have no idea what you are talking about. Catholics, as well as Protestants, must be born-again by the Holy Spirit in order to be saved, as Jesus had said. Evangelicals exercise personally unlimited forgiveness based on Jesus' forgiveness on any offenders, but also execute judicial judgment on every criminal with fairness as well.

May 22, 2011 at 10:56 am |
  5. John Richardson

@Free ????? When did ANY prayer demonstrably do ANYTHING?????

May 20, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • Finger Puppet

There are some scientific stu-dies on the e-f-ficacy of prayer by US univers-ity and cl-in-ical centers, (H-os-pice U-n-its I think). You can Google them. There are some interesting results.

May 21, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • JohnR

Last I heard, those have been debunked.

May 21, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • Peace2All

@finger puppet

I believe that -JohnR is correct here. At first, the studies originally done claimed some kind of statistical significance, however when the studies were re-done under more tighter controlled conditions, there was no apparent results that would indicate prayer to be any more effective than anything else.

Maybe you are aware of some 'new' studies that have just come out...? Would love to see any 'link' you provide.

Now, no argument that prayer can make individuals have 'hope' and 'feel good' during some rough times.

Peace...

May 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • Finger Puppet

@John R and Peace2all
      Exactly. I didn't say they demonstrated that prayer was effective, I merely said the question was "interesting". I am well aware those assertions have been examined, and as John says, "debunked".

May 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • Finger Puppet

Actually when I saw this topic I thought, as usual, "optimistically", that a discussion of what exactly "prayer" is, might ensue. It, (prayer), does seem to be valuable in the "group formation', "group affirmation" process that anthropologists speak of "groups", (and know they have been and are a valuable tool for survival).

Obviously a "prayer" would have no effect on a dead guy, (the "prayee):" but it does say a lot about the "prayors". It's a neuro linguistic tool ?

Whaddya think ?

May 21, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • JohnR

@Fingerpuppet & Peace2All: Yes, I too suspect that prayer is "for" the one praying. Indeed, I suspect it not only can offer hope and comfort to the one praying, but also elevate their mentality and ethical stature in cases like this, which is why I praised this effort while admittedly scoffing perhaps a bit too loudly at its effects, as I was thinking about the effect in Bin Laden, which is of course nada, nichts, nil.

May 21, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Finger Puppet

You Said: "It's a neuro linguistic tool ?"

Hmmm.... Do you have any training in NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming)...?

Anyways, yes... that is where I was coming from in relationship to being a 'useful tool' for the individual doing the praying.

Would love to hear what...if any experience or training you have in NLP...?

Peace...

May 21, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
    • Peace2All

@JohnR

Agreed.

Peace...

May 21, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
  6. Muneef

Seems that there is a prophesy about being replaced by one of his sons? Otherwise why asking about number of wives and sons he has ? It is all over the news here his family details,names and ages ??

Any way about subject God permuted prayers to believers but not to disbelievers...

May 20, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • John Richardson

Yeah, respond to one of the few cases where people of one religion A behave with a surprising degree of respect to a radical member of your own religion B by haughtily saying that God doesn't hear the prayers of adherents of religion A, only those of religion B. Such a class act you are, Muneef.

May 20, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • Muneef

John R.

It is not about my likes or dislikes...this was mentioned in one of the Hadiths which I only became to know yesterday and took the opportunity to post that... But as for me I pray to God for all mankind to be granted guidance and mercy...

May 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • JohnR

Look, Muneef, I don't believe that any god hears any prayers. I even alluded to that in another post, but praised the gesture anyway. If we are EVER to get along in THIS lifetime, you gotta knock down the walls on intransigent oppositions AT LEAST at times like this. For a muslim especially to take this moment to go around saying "la, la, la, Allah can't HEAR you" is just really disappointing.

May 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Muneef

[10:93] We have endowed the Children of Israel with a position of honor, and blessed them with good provisions. Yet, they disputed when this knowledge came to them. Your Lord will judge them on the Day of Resurrection regarding everything they disputed.

The Messenger's Doubt

[10:94] If you have any doubt regarding what is revealed to you from your Lord, then ask those who read the previous scripture. Indeed, the truth has come to you from your Lord. Do not be with the doubters.

[10:95] Nor shall you join those who rejected GOD's revelations, lest you be with the losers.

[10:96] Surely, those condemned by a decree from your Lord cannot believe.

[10:97] No matter what kind of proof you show them, (they cannot believe), until they see the painful retribution.

Believing Nations Prosper
      [10:98] Any community that believes will surely be rewarded for believing. For example, the people of Jonah: when they believed, we relieved the humiliating retribution they had been suffering in this world, and we made them prosperous.

[10:99] Had your Lord willed, all the people on earth would have believed. Do you want to force the people to become believers?

The Disbelievers Blocked Out*

[10:100] No soul can believe except in accordance with GOD's will. For He places a curse upon those who refuse to understand.

[10:101] Say, "Look at all the signs in the heavens and the earth." All the proofs and all the warnings can never help people who decided to disbelieve.

[10:102] Can they expect other than the fate of their counterparts in the past? Say, "Just wait, and, along with you, I am also waiting."

Guaranteed Victory

[10:103] We ultimately save our messengers and those who believe. It is our immutable law that we save the believers.

[10:104] Say, "O people, if you have any doubt regarding my religion, I do not worship what you worship beside GOD. I worship GOD alone; the One who will terminate your lives. I am commanded to be a believer."

[10:105] I was commanded: "Keep yourself devoted to the religion of monotheism; you shall not practice idol worship.

[10:106] "You shall not worship beside GOD what possesses no power to benefit you or harm you. If you do, you will be a transgressor."

All Power Belongs To God
      [10:107] If GOD touches you with a hardship, none can relieve it except He. And when He blesses you, no force can prevent His grace. He bestows it upon whomever He chooses from among His servants. He is the Forgiver, Most Merciful.

[10:108] Proclaim: "O people, the truth has come to you herein from your Lord. Whoever is guided is guided for his own good. And whoever goes astray, goes astray to his own detriment. I am not a guardian over you."

[10:109] Follow what is revealed to you, and be patient until GOD issues His judgment; He is the best judge.

May 22, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
  7. J. D.

David, I see that you have never studied the Shroud of Turin. Nuclear physicists in The Netherlands are studying it, because they say that it has the same properties as the Big Bang theory. If you were to die, and they wrapped you in a sheet, do you think that it would have the properties of the Big Bang theory? I also find it interesting that an atheist is hanging around a religious website. Are you searching for something David?

May 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • Peace2All

@J.D.

Hey -J.D...

I'm curious, as I've had a passing interest in the 'shroud,' if you could provide specific links to the websites that support your claims about the image having the "properties of the Big Bang"...? I did a bit of web-surfing myself and didn't find anything that discusses the Netherlands, etc...

So, maybe you could save me some time and post a link...?

Thanks...

Peace...

May 20, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • John Richardson

Properties of the Big Bang???? Something went bang in your head. Last I heard, real scientists dated it to a period well over a thousand years after the death of Jesus.

May 20, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • Peace2All

@John Richardson

That is correct.... Hmmm... 1260-1390 c.e., I believe.

Peace...

May 20, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • Joxer the Mighty

Actually John Richardson and Peace2all, The piece of the Shroud that was carbon dated was proven to be a damaged section of the shroud that was mended during the middle ages. That rendered the carbon dating invalid since the material was much newer than the actual shroud. Pollen samples taken from the shroud itself though are consistent with 1st century Palestine. As for the Image on the shroud, most theory's have big holes in them but there is one theory proposed by a couple of chemists that is the most likely theory so far. It deals with a complex chemical reaction that occurred when the Shroud was removed from Jesus before decomposition. If this theory is correct, it proves that either Jesus did raise from the dead and left the shroud there as a witness to mankind, or his disciples stole the body and removed the shroud to keep as a holy artifact. By the way, I consider myself a mix between a deist, agnostic, and unitarian Christian. I don't know what is the correct belief to have with regards to the supernatural, but I live my life trying to follow the morals that Jesus taught, and I pray as if God is listening. If Christianity is the correct belief then I hope God is not as strict as many Christians teach with regards to what you have to believe since most of the world will go to hell if they are correct.

May 21, 2011 at 6:44 am |
    • JohnR

Yo, Joxer! No, the piece dated has NOT been "proven" to be a medieval repair site. The idea has been proposed, but it hasn't been proven or definitely disproven. In any event, it wouldn't be hard to redo the test on separate samples but for some reason that hasn't been done in the 23 or so years since the first test. The person who most loudly proclaimed the veracity of first century Jerusalem pollen also vouched for the veracity of the Hitler diaries, which are known forgeries.

May 21, 2011 at 9:14 am |
    • Finger Puppet

@Joxer
      The obvious question, the elephant in the room, is why, if everything they say is true, is it, that the only thing to support it all is a questionable "shroud" ? Is he trying to trick us ? Seems a whole bunch of smart "people of faith" are desperate to hang on to this one piece of fabric. What's wrong with this picture ? Why not just "do" a convincing "miracle" ? Or maybe he can't.

May 21, 2011 at 10:20 am |
    • Peace2All

@Joxer the Mighty

Actually, @John Richardson is 'correct.' There have been many unverified claims about re-done pieces of the shroud, however no actual verified evidence.

Peace...

May 21, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Joxer the Mighty

**(excuse me... it was @JohnR. I was referencing here in response to your particular claim)

Peace...

May 21, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • John Richardson

JohnR and John Richardson are the same person on one or the other of two different computers. No, I am not two thirds of a trinity ... 😀

May 21, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Peace2All

@John Richardson & @JohnR

(*sighing)... 🙂 THANK YOU very much for finally clearing this one up for me, as I like your postings... and at times I have posted to JohnR...and then John Richardson replies back with an answer, or vice versa, ...and... you 'both' had exact syntax, grammar useage, style, etc...

It was drivin' me nuts...! 😯

Thanks again...

Peace brother...

May 21, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
  8. sadiesadie

You all have no idea what you are talking about. Jesus has never sent one person to hell. In fact He has stood at the gates and gave everyone the chance to go to heaven instead. Every person in hell now and in the future has voluntarily walked there, stepping around Jesus on the way.
    To claim that Jesus sends you to hell is to negate your free will. You are free to choose God and accept Jesus as your savior and you are also free to refuse Him.
    Jesus would love it if all of God's children accepted Him, and He weeps for the lost as a father weeps for his estranged children, but He won't force you.
    I prayed for Osama before he died, that he would see the error of his actions and cease causing terror. I also prayed for the end of his reign of terror so I guess I know which choice he chose.
    Prayer works for those that believe.

May 20, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  9. David Johnson

@Free

All the talk of saved and damned, is just that – talk. It has no basis in reality.

There isn't a shred of evidence that there is a god. It is just Santa for adults.

Cheers!

May 20, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • Lilith

How knowest thou??

May 20, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
    • Free

David-
      You'd think that working towards converting Satan would be a rather obvious solution, wouldn't you, but none amongst the believers seem to have the imagination, or the motivation, to try it. They're all stuck in their predeterminate mindset that everything and everyone has to follow a script. It's like reading those "Left Behind" books. All the 'heros' ever seem to do is watch Satan take over and keep their women from getting killed. Boring... so boring that you actually root for Satan to take these guys out, but he can't, because he's too stupid to see them for what they are... and that's pretty stupid.

May 20, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  10. Ph.D. Pastor

Prayer will do no good for bin Laden. As the Bible says, when a person dies, he or she will face judgment. Pray for those who are alive, that they will heed God's call for repentance before their time comes. When a person dies, there are no second chances. This life is the arena for eternity.

May 20, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Free

So, what prevented Christians from praying for bin Laden before he died, fear of being labeled un-patriotic?

May 20, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Ph.D. Pastor

Like prayer works, ever. There is no god.

Cheers!

May 20, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Ph.D. Pastor

Like basically anything else...it is 'possible' you are correct. And, your beliefs as you have written them, without providing evidence, are pure unverified speculation.

Respectfully,

Peace...

May 20, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  11. Artist

I just gave him a virtual b! t c h slap.

May 20, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  12. Free

Forget about Sadam, how about Satan?

“But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?” Mark Twain

You never know, the guy might have a change of heart if he saw somebody actually care about his well-being. Jesus wouldn't need to destroy the world at all then. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

May 20, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  13. David Johnson

Pray or don't. The effect will be the same.

Prayer doesn't work. Prayer doesn't work because there is no god.

What would Jesus do? Nothing. He is dead. If He ever actually existed.

Cheers!

May 20, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Realilty

From Professors Crossan and Watts' book, Who is Jesus.

"That Jesus was crucified under Pontius Pilate, as the Creed states, is as certain as anything historical can ever be.

“ The Jewish historian, Josephus and the pagan historian Tacitus both agree that Jesus was executed by order of the Roman governor of Judea. And is very hard to imagine that Jesus' followers would have invented such a story unless it indeed happened.

“While the brute fact that of Jesus' death by crucifixion is historically certain, however, those detailed narratives in our present gospels are much more problematic. "

“My best historical reconstruction would be something like this. Jesus was arrested during the Passover festival, most likely in response to his action in the Temple. Those who were closest to him ran away for their own safety.

I do not presume that there were any high-level confrontations between Caiaphas and Pilate and Herod Antipas either about Jesus or with Jesus. No doubt they would have agreed before the festival that fast action was to be taken against any disturbance and that a few examples by crucifixion might be especially useful at the outset. And I doubt very much if Jewish police or Roman soldiers needed to go too far up the chain of command in handling a Galilean peasant like Jesus. It is hard for us to imagine the casual brutality with which Jesus was probably taken and executed. All those "last week" details in our gospels, as distinct from the brute facts just mentioned, are prophecy turned into history, rather than history remembered."

See also Professor Crossan's reviews of the existence of Jesus in his other books especially, The Historical Jesus and also Excavating Jesus (with Professor Jonathan Reed doing the archeology discussion) .

Other NT exegetes to include members of the Jesus Seminar have published similar books with appropriate supporting references.

Part of Crossan's The Historical Jesus has been published online at books.google.com/books.

There is also a search engine for this book on the left-hand side of the opening page. e.g. Search Josephus

See also Wikipedia's review on the historical Jesus to include the Tacitus' reference to the crucifixion of Jesus.

From ask.com,

"One of the greatest historians of ancient Rome, Cornelius Tacitus is a primary source for much of what is known about life the first and second centuries after the life of Jesus. His most famous works, Histories and Annals, exist in fragmentary form, though many of his earlier writings were lost to time. Tacitus is known for being generally reliable (if somewhat biased toward what he saw as Roman immorality) and for having a uniquely direct (if not blunt) writing style.

Then there are these scriptural references:

Crucifixion of Jesus:(1) 1 Cor 15:3b; (2a) Gos. Pet. 4:10-5:16,18-20; 6:22; (2b) Mark 15:22-38 = Matt 27:33-51a = Luke 23:32-46; (2c) John 19:17b-25a,28-36; (3) Barn. 7:3-5; (4a) 1 Clem. 16:3-4 (=Isaiah 53:1-12); (4b) 1 Clem. 16.15-16 (=Psalm 22:6-8); (5a) Ign. Mag. 11; (5b) Ign. Trall. 9:1b; (5c) Ign. Smyrn. 1.2.- (read them all at wiki.faithfutures. Crucifixion org/index.php/005_Crucifixion_Of_Jesus )

Added suggested readings:

o 1. Historical Jesus Theories, earlychristianwritings.com/theories.htm – the names of many of the contemporary historical Jesus scholars and the ti-tles of their over 100 books on the subject.
      2. Early Christian Writings, earlychristianwritings.com/
      – a list of early Christian doc-uments to include the year of publication–
      30-60 CE Passion Narrative
      100-150 Preaching of Peter
      100-160 Gospel of the Ebionites
      100-160 Gospel of the Nazoreans
      100-160 Shepherd of Hermas
      100-160 2 Peter

3. Historical Jesus Studies, faithfutures.org/HJstudies.html,
      – "an extensive and constantly expanding literature on historical research into the person and cultural context of Jesus of Nazareth"
      4. Jesus Database, faithfutures.org/JDB/intro.html–"The JESUS DATABASE is an online annotated inventory of the traditions concerning the life and teachings of Jesus that have survived from the first three centuries of the Common Era. It includes both canonical and extra-canonical materials, and is not limited to the traditions found within the Christian New Testament."
      5. Josephus on Jesus mtio.com/articles/bissar24.htm
      6. The Jesus Seminar, mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/seminar.html#Criteria
      7. Writing the New Testament- mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/testament.html
      8. Health and Healing in the Land of Israel By Joe Zias
      joezias.com/HealthHealingLandIsrael.htm
      9. Economics in First Century Palestine, K.C. Hanson and D. E. Oakman, Palestine in the Time of Jesus, Fortress Press, 1998.
      10. 7. The Gnostic Jesus
      (Part One in a Two-Part Series on Ancient and Modern Gnosticism)
      by Douglas Groothuis: equip.org/free/DG040-1.htm
      11. The interpretation of the Bible in the Church, Pontifical Biblical Commission
      Presented on March 18, 1994
      ewtn.com/library/CURIA/PBCINTER.HTM#2
      12. The Jesus Database- newer site:
      wiki.faithfutures.org/index.php?t-itle=Jesus_Database
      13. Jesus Database with the example of Supper and Eucharist:
      faithfutures.org/JDB/jdb016.html
      14. Josephus on Jesus by Paul Maier:
      mtio.com/articles/bissar24.htm
      15. The Journal of Higher Criticism with links to articles on the Historical Jesus:
      mtio.com/articles/bissar24.htm
      16. The Greek New Testament: laparola.net/greco/
      17. Diseases in the Bible:
      etd.unisa.ac.za/ETD-db/theses/available/etd-08022006-125807/unrestricted/02dissertation.pdf
      18. Religion on Line (6000 articles on the history of religion, churches, theologies,
      theologians, ethics, etc.
      religion-online.org/
      19. The Jesus Seminarians and their search for NT authenticity:
      mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/seminar.html#Criteria
      20. The New Testament Gateway – Internet NT ntgateway.com/
      21. Writing the New Testament- existing copies, oral tradition etc.
      ntgateway.com/
      22. The Search for the Historic Jesus by the Jesus Seminarians:
      members.aol.com/DrSwiney/seminar.html
      23. Jesus Decoded by Msgr. Francis J. Maniscalco (Da Vinci Code review)jesusdecoded.com/introduction.php
      24. JD Crossan's scriptural references for his book the Historical Jesus separated into time periods: faithfutures.org/Jesus/Crossan1.rtf
      25. JD Crossan's conclusions about the authencity of most of the NT based on the above plus the conclusions of other NT exegetes in the last 200 years:
      faithfutures.org/Jesus/Crossan2.rtf
      26. Common Sayings from Thomas's Gospel and the Q Gospel: faithfutures.org/Jesus/Crossan3.rtf
      27. Early Jewish Writings- Josephus and his books by t-itle with the complete translated work in English :earlyjewishwritings.com/josephus.html
      28. Luke and Josephus- was there a connection?
      infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/lukeandjosephus.html
      29. NT and beyond time line:
      pbs.org/empires/peterandpaul/history/timeline/
      30. St. Paul's Time line with discussion of important events:
      harvardhouse.com/prophetictech/new/pauls_life.htm
      31. See http://www.amazon.com for a list of JD Crossan's books and those of the other Jesus Seminarians: Reviews of said books are included and selected pages can now be viewed on Amazon. Some books can be found on-line at Google Books.
      32. Father Edward Schillebeeckx's words of wisdom as found in his books.
      33. The books of the following : Professors Marcus Borg, Paula Fredriksen, Elaine Pagels, Karen Armstrong and Bishop NT Wright.
      34. Father Raymond Brown's An Introduction to the New Testament, Doubleday, NY, 1977, 878 pages, with Nihil obstat and Imprimatur.
      35. Luke Timothy Johnson's book The Real Jesus

May 20, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • Artist

Realilty W T F you wonder why people never read your posts

May 20, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Jason the Pendleton Rat

Hey Mr. R.
      We totally love your posts. They are great, and so thorough, and right on, and historically well thought out. But some days we think we just need to take you out and get you drunk.
      🙂

May 20, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • Reality

The detailed summary was noted to make a point about the historical Jesus. Simply saying this simple, preacher man did exist is not convincing. References are. Consider them an early Xmas/Holiday gift. Most of the references are online. Enjoy!!

May 21, 2011 at 12:16 am |
    • Peace2All

@Reality

We can always count on you to provide your 'research.' I know that some of us appreciate what you provide.

Peace brother...

May 21, 2011 at 1:51 am |
    • Bucky Ball

Agree. I think you may have to leave open the possibility of Einstein's "Sp-o-oky Action at a Distance", also what is seen today as the collapse of a quantum system, by observation, but that has not been shown to work yet, at a macro level.

May 21, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Bucky Ball

Yes, I agree. Yep, Einstein was apparently a bit freaked by 'quantum entanglement' which seems to be replicated in quantum studies, at the 'micro level, and are sometimes inferred into macro reality.

Good point.

Peace...

May 21, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  14. littleriver2

What in the world is going on in FLA??? Insane baptist, coocoo catholic – Not everyone there is over 80 and senile, so what gives! I know, IT'S THE SUN BOILING THE BRAINS OF OTHERWISE SANE WHITE FOLKS!

May 20, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • kfl0wek

I would not characterize Deep Southerners as "otherwise sane" . Heh heh

May 20, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  15. bob

i want to go

May 20, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  16. Colin

Praying hey? That's where they kneel down and think certain thoughts. A being that created the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies 13,400,000,000 years ago uses its telepathic powers to read their minds and then dulls down what would otherwise be the severe punishment of a dead Saudi terorist.

In the 21st Century, Christians still believe this Dark Ages nonsense.

Just.....wow.

May 20, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Colin

Well said. Believers have no gag reflex. They can swallow anything.

Cheers!

May 20, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  17. Convert to Islam or the Puppy Dies ! ! !

What would Jesus do? Isn't he supposed to torture people like bin Laden for the rest of eternity? That's pretty much his job description. Isn't it kind of hypocritical for Jesus to say he is forgiving someone as he is tossing them down the great cosmic toilet? And didn't he also throw Gandhi there also, because he believed in the wrong God?

May 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Convert to Islam or the Puppy Dies ! ! !

You said: "And didn't he also throw Gandhi there also, because he believed in the wrong God?"

Yep. Avoiding the wrong hell is certainly a game humans love to play.

Accepting one god can get you in hot water with another. Baby Jesus promises to same you from hell, but Allah says otherwise. There is just no way to be absolutely sure.

Cheers!

May 20, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  18. Reality

Actually, Jesus was a bit "touched". After all he thought he spoke to Satan, thought he changed water into wine, thought he raised Lazarus from the dead etc. In today's world, said Jesus would be declared legally insane.

Or did P, M, M, L and J simply make him into a first century magic-man via their epistles and gospels of semi-fiction? Most contemporary NT experts after thorough analyses of all the scriptures go with the latter magic-man conclusion with J's gospels being mostly fiction.

Obviously, today's followers of Paul et al's "magic-man" are also a bit on the odd side believing in all the Christian mumbo jumbo about bodies resurrecting, and exorcisms, and miracles, and "magic-man atonement, and infallible, old, European, white men, and 24/7 body/blood sacrifices followed by consumption of said sacrifices. Yummy!!!!

So why do we really care what a first century CE, illiterate, "mythicized", long-dead, preacher man would do?

May 20, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
  19. Jesus

One word....morons

May 20, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • B-Dog

Why is it always Florida??

May 20, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  20. JohnR

It won't do a danged thing, but it's a nice sign of basic decency.

May 20, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
    • Free

Why? One more soul saved would be a good thing, wouldn't it?

May 20, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Adelina

@Free, he could not have been saved. Too late.

May 21, 2011 at 3:41 am |
    • Wipe0ut

When all believers simultaneously will pee, it would END OF DAYS for all Atheists.

But they don't need to worry much because they don't need no Noah's Ark to save them from the flood of pee, a regular-size canoe would be big enough to accomodate them all including their puppies.

May 21, 2011 at 4:53 am |