home
RSS
Doomsdays throughout time
May 22nd, 2011

Life goes on: Doomsday believers on the morning after

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

(CNN) – Theirs had been an unwavering belief, the sort that inspired some to quit jobs, leave their homes and walk away from family and friends to issue a doomsday warning.

Without question, they believed May 21 would be the day that Jesus Christ would return and rapture them - and a select 2 to 3 percent of the world’s population - up to heaven.  Everyone left behind would be on a crash course to final destruction, scheduled for October 21.

But now it’s May 22.

The sun rose, birds are singing and life as we know it continues. Those anticipated earthquakes that the May 21 doomsdayers said would ravage the earth on Saturday at 6 p.m. in each of the world's time zones never came.

And the faithful believers - who said the Bible guaranteed this day - are still here, trying to make sense of it all.

“Of course there’s disappointment. There’s no getting around that,” said Tom Evans, who’d left his northern California home to spend the weekend with family and friends. “When you as a person believe that God is coming back, and you believe the evidence is very clear that he’s coming back, that is something every child of God longs for. In a moment, we’d be changed and spend eternity with God. I’m not ashamed of that at all. I’m not ashamed of wanting and hoping for it.”

But Evans did reveal some regret.

“For us to say it was absolute, I think that’s where we went wrong. That’s where we strayed, and that I would gladly apologize for,” he said. “Whether I personally have done something dishonorable, I’m still mulling it over. I was trying to be faithful.”

Evans spoke to CNN as an individual, not as a spokesperson for Family Radio, the Oakland, California, Christian broadcasting network behind the May 21 movement.

But Evans has been a paid spokesman for the network, a job he said he expects to resume - at least in the short term - after he and Family Radio's board of directors meet with Harold Camping, the network's 89-year-old founder.

“I have not spoken to Mr. Camping about the issue of what to do next,” Evans said. “But he and his wife are fine, and our response will come in the early part of next week.”

Camping, a degreed engineer (not a pastor) who claims to have made the Bible his “university” for more than 50 years, has experience with failed prophecies. He once claimed the world would end in September 1994, later chalking that snafu up to biblical miscalculations and the need for further study. This time around, he said earlier this year, he had no doubts.

Calls to Camping's Alameda, California, home, went unanswered.

CNN reached out Sunday morning to about a dozen doomsday believers, to see how they felt after waking up. Only Evans and one other responded.

"I'm fine Jessica, really!" Darryl Keitt, of Elizabeth, New Jersey, who spent about seven months touring the country in a caravan of RVs, sharing the doomsday warning, wrote in a text message. "Just need 2 process this."

Those who’ve studied end-of-the-world movements are analyzing what happened, or didn’t happen, and forecasting what will come next.

“In the end, it was a whimper, not a bang,” said Lorenzo DiTommaso, author of the forthcoming book “The Architecture of Apocalypticism” and an associate professor of religion at Concordia University in Montréal, Canada. “The 21st of May came and went, and with it Harold Camping’s prediction of the coming of the Rapture and the day of doom.”

Based on past doomed doomsdays, much can be learned, said DiTommaso, who has studied apocalyptic worldviews for 12 years.

He shared what he meant in a written statement to CNN:

Historically, failed prophecies tend to result in disillusionment, with members deserting the group, or, more typically, a faith-saving (and face-saving) statement to the effect that while divine revelation remains infallible, human calculation is not. In short: The math was off, and it’s back to the drawing board. If the logic seems a bit self-serving, recall that in the apocalyptic mindset, faith precedes theory, and theory informs the evidence.

Not that any of this will preclude the appearance of future doomsday predictions. “Apocalypse,” Frank Kermode once observed, “can be disconfirmed without being discredited.” The massive 2012 phenomenon [based on the Mayan “Long Count” calendar] lurks just over the horizon. Even if the media and the public are over-saturated right now, the 2012 event promises to be as big as Y2K. After that, when the predicted events of the 21st of December 2012 fail to occur, a new generation of end-time prophecies will spring up. And that’s about the only sure prediction that one can make.

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Culture wars • End times

soundoff (2,964 Responses)
  1. Umm please stop?

All of these posts are making me feel sick... Why can't we just realize that we all have different beliefs and that we can't shove our belief down someone else's throat? We all can't be right, but at the same time we're all trying to prove each other wrong. It will never work. So please stop insulting each other, it's not getting anyone anywhere.

May 23, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
    • John Richardson

Yes, it is.

May 24, 2011 at 5:08 am |
    • Nightwyn

They are not trying to convince people, otherwise they wouldn't be shoving it down others throats. And then complain about how it didn't work for them.

May 24, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  2. Take A Stand

Please go to page 47 and read my post along with the comments after it; I think you will find it very edifying. I would appreciate it!

May 23, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
    • LinCA

@ Take A Stand. In an earlier post you indicated that you were too young to vote. I hope that also means that you haven't entirely closed your mind yet.

Please go to page 46 of this thread and read the last post by David Johnson (at least until the "Cheers!" part). It's a reply to musikpal. Please read and try to understand the reasoning. You might find it enlightening.

May 24, 2011 at 12:52 am |
  3. onefeather

chief Joseph said: Churches teach us to quarrel about God.[that is why they did not want them]
    how true what he said is. The temple is within you now some Man made building.

May 23, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  4. Steve

IN RESPONCE to PRAISE the L--

Taking the Lords name is offensive and that shouldnt be allowed

It is written ' The Lord will not hold him guilltless who taketh His name in vain

That is going to come back to you some day. You'll see. Yeh i'm proud to say I reported you. I hope you repent

May 23, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • LinCA

You're kidding, right? You are not seriously that dense, correct?

May 23, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • John Richardson

PERFECT example of how the oh so loving Christian community behaves towards non-believers here and all over. And yet it's the Christians constantly weeping about how those big, bad atheists treat them. It's somehow sad, disgusting and hilarious all rolled up into one!

May 23, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • at

Steve – learn to speak and write English. Your post is a disgrace.

May 23, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
    • Nightwyn

This is a perfect example? Somehow after being told I am an idiot, have a mental illness, I should be locked away, kill myself because the non-rapture, I really don't see how this compares.

May 23, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

JohnR, Nightwyn does have a point. I do not think that any sides are totally clean on this. For the past few days Atheist have been calling us some pretty nasty things. I do not think its fair to jump on one person of faith for his post and then be silent for the post from the Atheist side.

I think we on all sides are in many ways sad, disgusting and happy hilarious all rolled up into one big burrito called a society 🙂

May 24, 2011 at 1:51 am |
    • John Richardson

@Mark – I didn't say that any side is totally clean on this. Nightwyn did. And frankly, your missing that is itself an indication of how the "believer side" constantly complains about others while remaining blind to their own side's offenses. And the back story remains that most of us non-believers have been excoriated in "real life" (as opposed to "blog life") for so much as QUESTIONING beliefs that people (parents, pastors and peers) did indeed presume to IMPOSE on us.

May 24, 2011 at 5:00 am |
    • Nightwyn

You think I don't get people knocking on my door telling me I will go to hell if I don't not change my faith? I have dealt with people in real life from atheist telling me my belief is a joke, or the 'idea of Christianity' offends them, and then had people try to tell me that God is in fact the evil one. And there are many who say they are Christian and yet they think they are God, which isn't the definition of a Christian. And no John I was pointing out not that anyone was blameless, I was defending the fact that you implied that we should just sit and take it because we were 'loving and forgiving' and no one else had to act that way. No zealot changes one to their ideas by ridiculing someone and then shoving their beliefs in others faces. It is human nature to rebel against this. Actually Atheist are doing the exact same thing that made many Christians turn from the faith.

May 24, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
  5. Tiffany Clifton

I think everyone should just leave it alone. No one in this world knows for sure when the world will end. It could very well come tomorrow, next year, or ten years from now. Only the lord knows and he will come when he sees fit to come to take us home.

May 23, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
    • LinCA

There is no lord. He/she/it is just a fantasy, just like the tooth fairy and the easter bunny.

May 23, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • at

And Santa Claus. Oh – the crap that is fed into little minds! Those poor brains, they aren't developed enough to sort the facts from the fiction. And they will believe anything ... and worse – quote it.

May 23, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
  6. JohnR

@Lycidas Art wasn't being nasty at anyone you and he hasn't even responded to your nastiness. Hence, this has nothing to do with "reflections" or people being "thin-skinned". You are what you are and it's not a pretty sight.

May 23, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
    • Ummm

Agreed but it's been pointed out to this character before but they are blinded to their own short comings.

May 23, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
    • Lycidas

??An odd random posting from the two of you.

May 27, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  7. Eric G

There will be no rapture. Now, accept your role in eternal servitude!

Kneel.

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!!!

May 23, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

wasn't Zod the thing that turned into the stay puff marshmellow man 🙂

May 23, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
    • Eric G

That was Gozer. Zod was from Superman II.

May 23, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

You are right .... isn't Zod also the bad guy in the 5th element?

May 24, 2011 at 12:59 am |
  8. Anon

How something can come from nothing (no creator needed):

May 23, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
  9. mightyfudge

And once again, religion hurts people instead of helping them. Par for the course.

May 23, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  10. Kevin K in TX

you don't need god to be a good person. here are the following examples:
    1. Thou shall not kill ( God did this a whole bunch, what a hypocrite)
    Duh!!! Even Ted Bundy knew this... Just didn't follow that principle.. But normal ppl do

2. Thou shall not commit adultery (God pretty much forced abraham into doing it)
    Thats just mean, and wrong... Duh, don't need a book to tell me that

3. Thou shall not steal... (God stole the "holy land" from ppl already living there and killed them)
    Really? Really? you need a book to tell you that?

4. Thou shall not bear false witness against your neighbor...
    Don't blame something you did on someone else.. or don't blame someone for something they didn't do... I mean are we retards as humans? again i ask, do i need a book to tell me this? this is stuff your parent should have taught you.. unless you had crappy parents, but even still....

5. Thou shall not covet thy neighbors stuff and wife/husband...
    Well we are humans and we covet stuff... Prob bad if you're going around coveting your neighbors wife... but his stuff? Really? I love my neighbors boat, and ill covet it all i want.. its just a darn boat.. and from time to time he lets me borrow it.. so what? That makes me a bad person... I think not....

and Harold Camping didn't donate all his money to anyone.. his bank is full of cash... I would have spent all his cash on friday if i knew i wouldn't be around on saturday... what an idiot...

May 23, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  11. Ricky Savoie

They need to check out the possibility that they are not only wrong about this event, but everything else as well. I suggest converting to Buddhism.

May 23, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  12. Reality

What we really know:

1. The Sun will burn out in 3-5 billion years so we have a time frame.

2. Asteroids continue to whiz by us daily.

3. One large hit and it is all over in a blast of permanent winter.

4. There are enough nuclear weapons to do the same job.

5. Most contemporary NT exegetes do not believe in the Second Coming so apparently there is no concern about JC coming back on an asteroid or cloud of raptors/rapture.

Bottom line: our apocalypse will start between now and 3-5 billion CE.

May 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • airwx

Reality... you mean the unveiling will occur when the sun burns out???? That is the meaning of apocolypse!!!!!

You should rename yourself after a star wars character...used the word "Meesa" a lot.....

May 23, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  13. Daniel

I wish people would stop trying to predict the end of the world they are never right and as for the Mayans the couldn't predict the end of their own civilization if you wanna pray for something how about praying for the people of Joplin Missouri I had numerous friends lose their homes and lives

May 23, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • fimeilleur

While I acknowledge your concern for your friends, Intercessory prayer has worked the same number of times that positive results occurred without them... in other words... prayer = placebo.

May 23, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • Jim Dandey

I pray you learn to use punctuation...

May 23, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
    • Daniel

I wasn't writing a paper for school so punctuation isn't important

May 23, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  14. TRUTH ABOUT ISLAM

May 23, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Over It

No need for any more flavors of supernatural mumbo-jumbo...

May 23, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
    • logikbuys

Just b/c Jesus didn't blow us up doesn't mean we want to blow ourselves up,... thanks, but no thanks. Go find a vest and an open field somewhere

May 23, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  15. Nightwyn

From the comments I have read I am beginning to see why there are Christians who just proclaim non-believers are going to hell rather than trying to be tolerable and understanding. I mean really you say you are a Christian and you get attacked, called an idiot and said to have mental problems. Atheists have shown here to be cruel, abrasive, unreasonable people towards others who do not share their beliefs.

May 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • airwx

If you consider the fact that noone knows who you are on the internet, you begin to understand why people say things simply because they can rather than because they truely believe what they say. The best way to deal with them is to be who you are, say what you believe and ignore any attack on yourself. Most of them think they are having harmless "fun", failing to think they might be hurting someone else. I prefer to engage in real dialogue and have found a few atheists who actually will exchange in pleasant discourse.

May 23, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • JohnR

@Nightwyn – You have cause and effect reversed. I have attneded Evangelical churches and other Evangelical meetings like Young Life back in the day, and the people there had absolutely no problem cheerfully consigning people to hell in the absence of any atheists or other critics at all. Christians and their vicious and generally benighted doctrines have earned the contempt of whose hearts and minds are both in working order.

May 23, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Nightwyn

And thus gives me the right to use this experience to label all Atheist?

May 23, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • Jessica S

About 1 out of every 50 Christians that I have ever met have actually been tolerable people. The others have been racists, bigots, and liars. And trust me, I've known quite a few living in the bible belt of Texas for 15 years. Best thing I've ever done in my entire life was to get away from those people. They are mentally sick and not stable. I am not even an athiest! I was raised a Christian my entire life and am one of the lucky ones to escape their clutches mentally unharmed. And trust me, I've been to Lutheran churches, Baptist Churches, Non denomenational churches, etc.. They are all the same. People there are mentally sick and unstable. I can't believe people would subject their own children to the brainwashing that takes place there.

May 23, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Nightwyn

Jessica, I am a Christian, and I had to deal with a sibling that goes wacked over whatever she is into, during her Christianity phase she threw out all things considered secular, all things considered not Godly were evil and I got quizzed incessantly since she ‘found God’ on all things bible. There are just people like that religion doesn’t make them that way narcissistic views do. Last I heard she is now Wiccan. Though she still thinks she is god and she is right and all others who disagree are wrong.

May 23, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • JohnR

"And thus gives me the right to use this experience to label all Atheist?" Not sure what this quasi-sentence ('thus' makes for an odd subject, no?) means, but if you were to label all atheists something negative, you'd join quite a crowd of casual insult hurlers from the religion of love and forgiveness.

May 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
    • Nightwyn

John, are you trying to imply because atheist are not Christians its perfectly ok for them to bash others? If you can generalize and accuse me of the deeds of my whole religion/country/history...then you are accountable for the same thing.

May 23, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
    • JohnR

@Nightwyn Wow, what were your reading comprehension scores on standardized tests? I am simply saying that there have been vast numbers of Christians here and elsewhere hurling insults at atheists and those they assume are atheists and you have to be willfully blind not to see that.

May 23, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
    • Nightwyn

Alright point me to post here on this topic where Christians have insulted Atheist. I must of missed them.

May 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
    • HeavenSent

JohnR

--------
      Amen..

May 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm |

Nice try... really... 🙂

May 23, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • John Richardson

Nightwyn – Are you kidding????????? I guess chortling that someone will be tortured for all eternity and deserves it just for not believing as you do counts as polite conversation in your world? And that is merely where it STARTS.

May 23, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • LinCA

Nightwyn. Ask and you shall receive. HeavenSent obliges: "I am sorry but jsut being an Atheist warrants an insult. Why? For their blindness, ego and studity."

May 23, 2011 at 8:50 pm |

John Richardson

I know I get it from my Aunt for not being a JW. No one is immune to that. Just trying to get people to stop generalizing. Christianity has many denominations, some don't even believe in hell.

May 23, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
    • Nightwyn

Heavensent is Johnr the style is too simular, the grammar etc.... and the timing.

May 23, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
    • John Richardson

Nightwyn, I am NOT HeavenSent! Yeesh! Talk about INSULTS!!! In any case, HeavenSent's comment is tame compared to most. Just follow pretty much ANY thread with CW or Lycidas in it!

As for disbelief in hell, that is one of the things I like most about Jehovah's Witnesses. Actually, it's pretty much the ONLY thing I like about them. For as creepy as it is to worship a god who will toss away 99.99% of humanity and keep only the JWs, it's nowhere near as creepy as worshipping a god who will torture 99% of humanity for all eternity.

In any case, many of the Christians around here are not at all abashed about throwing the first stone, and this jibes with my experience of many Christians elsewhere.

May 23, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
    • Nightwyn

According to the bible Rev 7:9 there are so many people in heaven that they can not be counted..

May 23, 2011 at 9:58 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Wow talking about taking the fight to the mat.

May 24, 2011 at 1:54 am |
  16. me

if there is no NFL season, then the end of the world is coming. Not sure how this guy could predict the end of the world without getting the final decision the upcoming NFL lockout decision. Just plain stupid.

May 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  17. Lycidas

My mistake on the above, forgot to change back to my other username.

@Bible Clown- The cat is still alive you know because we haven't seen it dead. Go ask Schrödinger.

May 23, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • JohnR

That's NOT what Schroedinger said!!!! Schroedinger's cat was in a state of being neither dead nor alive due to quantum uncertainty in an unobserved state. I, however, maintain that the cat counts as an observer. But who cares?

May 23, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • Lycidas

Exactly....who really cares.

May 23, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • John Richardson

You mean other than the dingbat who brought it up only to botch the whole thing?

May 23, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
    • Lycidas

Yeah..I wonder why he even did it?

May 27, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  18. Scarpen

I was hoping to be in heaven by today. Guess I'll have to wait until next year.

May 23, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  19. Chi Tran

Of course, America is mention in The Book of Revelation, One of the Seventh Church, for The Church of Philadelphia... In the Book of Revelation( Seek! You shall find! Knock! It shall open unto you! Ask! You shall receive!)
    Esailor

May 23, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • Bible Clown

Cool! Did you find where it says you go to hell for eating tomatoes?

May 23, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Over It

Chi,

Philadelphia was a former name of Amman, Jordan. If the name appears in the Bible, it would refer to that.

May 23, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Over It

"Ask! You shall receive!"

Ok, I ask for all of the misguided religions of the world (the Abrahamic ones being the most offensive) to quit claiming that they have the truth.

May 23, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Drew

Actually OverIt I believe Philadelphia was the name of several cities back in the day. While Amman is the larget of those remaining, according to a segment I watched on the history channel, the Philadelphia mentioned in the bible refers to a small town located in modern day Turkey known as Alasehir.

May 23, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
    • Chi Tran

If you find The Lord Jesus Christ, The Only Messiah! Then He'll send The Holy Spirit of The Truth and He will teach you! And He will reveal your heart and your mind! And He will give you the truer self! (Philadelphia, PA-Keystone State, do you know the definition of Revelation?)
      Esailor

May 24, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Possibilities

Chi Tran,

This silly, scary nightmare fantasy book of Revelation is NOT referring to the U.S. city of Philadelphia. As Drew said it is talking about an ancient city Turkey.

Look here:

"Philadelphia in the Book of Revelation

Although several ancient cities bore the name of Philadelphia, this is definitely the one listed among the seven churches by John in the Book of Revelation.[2] Philadelphia is the sixth church of the seven.(Revelation 1:11). A letter specifically addressed to the Philadelphian church is recorded in (Revelation 3:7-13). According to this letter, the Philadelphian Christians were suffering persecution at the hands of the local Jews, whom Revelation calls "the synagogue of Satan" (Revelation 3:9). The city's history of earthquakes may lie behind the reference to making her church a temple pillar (Revelation 3:12). Permanency would have been important to the city's residents."

You are dangerously misguided in believing this bunk.

May 24, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  20. RUSSELLBENNETT59

Jesus is the Word. Read John 1:14 The Father only, not the Word, knows the day or hour. Read Mark 13:32. Jesus did not tell someone the day or hour because it is not known by or in the Word. But Jesus did say "Take heed lest any man deceive you" Read Mark 13:5
    Psa 14:1 To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
    Psa 14:2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
    Psa 14:3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
    Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
    Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
    Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
    Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
    Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

May 23, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • Bible Clown

"there is none that doeth good, no, not one" including you, I bet. Maybe you should repent?

May 23, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Jim Dandey

Oh, shut up god boy...

May 23, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • Nightwyn

Actually Bible Clown that's the point, to ask forgiveness and repent to God. Being a christian, doesn't mean your good, Just means you are forgiven.

May 23, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Nightwyn wrote: "Just means you are forgiven."

Really? How do they know??

May 23, 2011 at 5:45 pm |

It is in the bible.
      I know it.
      Relief.

May 23, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • Kevin K in TX

@ RUSSELLBENNETT59, good job copying and pasting.

May 23, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • Jessica S

Really!? Can't any of these people come up with something worthwhile to say in their own words? Nope... only ignorant enough to copy and paste from elsewhere... You really think we are going to sit here and read that entire thing??!?! Nope!!! Go to school and obtain an education and then come back here and tell us something worthwhile. But we know that won't happen so go ahead and copy and paste something else random on here...

May 23, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • Reality

Mark 13:28-32 = Matt 24:32-36 = Luke 21:29-33 ===========================

Another view of these passages: As per Professor Gerd Ludemann in his book, Jesus After 2000 Years, p. 92,

Mark 13: 30, "The saying reflects a delay over the events of the end. By contrast, Jesus expected the final arrival of the kingdom of god in the immediate future. So the saying is certainly inauthentic.

[31], "The saying comes from the community and is inauthentic."

[32], "The saying is inauthentic as it presupposes the divine sonship of Jesus."

[34-36], Inauthentic based on redaction and tradition.

May 23, 2011 at 11:54 pm |

Reality –

Mark 13: 30, See verse 29 since that says 6-27 take place within the same generation.

See specifically 13:10 And the gospel must first be preached to all nations. [This is something that is only now can occur through TV and internet. There are many nations that have rejected Christianity from those times till to this day.]

[26] He speaks of coming of the clouds, coming from heaven…so how do we get it would be in his time?

[31], He is implying he is as good as his word.
      [32], Stands that God only knows