home
RSS
May 25th, 2011

From tornado to hospital, prayer sustains Missouri family

By Eric Marrapodi and Brian Todd, CNN

Joplin, Missouri (CNN) - It’s quiet here. The only sound in the hospital room is the steady hum of a ventilator pushing air into Lage Grigsby’s lungs. It’s a stark contrast to the haunting noise of Sunday's Joplin tornado, which put him here.

Lage’s father, James Grigsby, sits by his 14-year-old son’s bedside anxiously keeping vigil, praying and hoping his boy will pull through OK. Lage is in a medically induced coma.

He has an open skull fracture and a broken vertebra in his neck. His doctors suspect he may have a brain injury and be partially paralyzed but they don’t yet know for sure. There’s a chance he won’t be able to kick a soccer ball again - or even be able to remember a time when he did.

Lage his family live one town over from Joplin, in Neosho, Missouri. On Sunday, Lage was with his grandparents and cousin, Mason, at the Home Depot in Joplin. His grandfather parked his red dual-wheeled pickup truck at the front entrance and quickly ran in to deal with a refund on some wires he picked up earlier.

“My daughter told me they spotted one on the ground,” said Sharon Lillard, Lage’s grandmother, recalling how word of the tornado quickly spread via cell phone. She was still in the truck with Lage and Mason.

“We was getting ready to get out and go into the store but the wind was blowing so hard we couldn’t even get out of the vehicle,” she said.

They watched as orange shopping carts took flight.

“I turned around and pushed my grandkids down to the floorboard,” she said. “I kept telling them, ‘We need to pray. God’s going to take care of us.’ ”

The windows in the truck shattered, sending glass flying into Lillard’s back. She bit her tongue; she didn’t want to scare her grandchildren.

“Then all of a sudden we felt the truck go in the air.”

“All I kept saying was ‘God protect us,’” Lillard said. “Because that’s all we had was God to protect us. We didn’t know what was going to happen.”

The one-ton truck was picked up like a ball and thrown into the Home Dept’s outdoor garden section, a football field and a half away from where they had parked. It landed by the lawnmowers.

“All I could do is pray someone would find us quick because I couldn’t do any screaming or anything because my head was pushed into the seat.”

Besides the glass in her back, Lillard had a broken arm. Mason was injured, too. A piece of rebar had gone through her shoulder and out her back.

Lage had been thrown from the truck and landed outside, nearby.

The Home Depot was completely destroyed, an unrecognizable mass of tangled rebar and concrete. A number of bodies have since been pulled from the store's wreckage.

Rescuers quickly found Lage, his grandmother and his cousin. They cut Mason out of the truck and rushed Lage to nearby Freeman Health System, the Joplin hospital spared by the half-mile wide tornado (the city’s other hospital, St. John's Regional Medical Center, was badly damaged.)

“When he presented he had a dilated pupil, which is a serious neuralgic problem, indicating that the person is about to neurologically die," said Lage’s nuerosurgeon, Dr. Arthur Daus.

The news provoked Lage’s dad to pray hard: “Don’t take my son, Lord,” James Grigsby prayed, “please don’t take my son.”

Dr. Daus preformed six hours of surgery to save Lage’s life, removing parts of dead brain tissue and the skull to allow the brain to swell.

There’s a chance Lage will regain his cognitive function, Daus said, but it will require a near miracle.

Hospital staff quietly come in and out of Lage’s room at the intensive care unit, where the boy lies still except for the occasional twitch of his leg or squeeze of his dad’s hand. A bandage covers his head.

They had to shave his long brown hair, styled like Justin Bieber - though his dad said Lage would hate it if you described it that way.

"It really disheartens me, because I'm used to seeing him happy and so vibrant,” Grigsby said. “He's a very energetic boy,” Grigsby said, holding his son’s hand.

"This isn't the boy who walks up behind me and goes 'Dad, can I get on the computer? Dad, can I play the X-box? Dad, can I go and ride my bike?"

Through the pain and anxiety, Grigsby said his faith remains firm. The family regularly attends the Church of Christ in Neosho.

“We’re a very Christian-bound family,” Grigsby said. Lage, who has four siblings, is active in the Royal Rangers, a Christian version of the Boy Scouts.

“The hard part about this is I know God’s hand has been in this and works through this,” Grigsby said. “He is here and is at least with us at this point.”

Grigsby says he praying for his neighbors, too.

"I know there's probably people out there who are going to be disheartened by this—I got to keep my son and they may not have,” he said. “I’m one of the lucky ones.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Missouri

1. Robbie

God is real people!....whether u choose to believe or not....

May 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Wow

If he is real then he must be really incompetent or completely uncaring.

May 25, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Stevie7

Which god would you be referring to? Yahweh? Allah? Vishna? Amaterasu? Indra? Zues? I'm guessing that all of their followers would claim (or claimed) the exact same thing.

May 25, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • mary43

This is to reply to the naysayers His name to Yayweh. Like I've written many times over...one day every knee will bow and every tongue confess "Jesus is Lord of all."

August 28, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  2. marsmotel

Why do people live where natural disasters take place? Just move. These morons will re-build their house in the same place. Pennsylvannia is the place to be – no hurricanes, no tornadoes and no earthquakes.

May 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • PoudBaptistGirl

You, apparently, don't watch the news. There were multiple tornados reported in PA last week. They weren't near as strong as the ones in the mid-west but they were here nonetheless. And would you like to tell that to the people in Campbelltown a few years back that lost their homes to a tornado. Just a few examples. If you have no compassion for your fellow human who is suffering tremendous loss, keep your ignorant comments to yourself, please.

May 25, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • YourMom

But obviously full of idiots. I hope your post was less than serious. Natural disasters can happen anywhere, anytime. There were tornadoes in PA this year, and the state is also home to a fault line.

May 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • marsmotel

It was senseless humor but obviously people in this world as so uptight and cant see what is in front of them. I still would never live in Oklahoma or anywhere that is named tornado alley, that is just dumb.

May 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • YourMom

"Senseless humor" about a kid fighting for his life. You are crazy funny. Gotta love 13 yo trolls.

May 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • marsmotel

Thank you. Just trying out some new material.

May 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  3. PoudBaptistGirl

How can you people look at the picture of that boy and do nothing but spout off about how much you hate religion and what others beleive in? Why does it matter to you what they believe? God forbid you ever have to go thru something this tragic, but if you do I think most of you would find faith real quick. My prayers go out for this family and every other victim of these horrific storms.

May 25, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • JohnR

Pride is a sin.

May 25, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • support the doctors

People should not be knocking the family for praying. But CNN using this prayer angle is poor journalism. But to answer your question, the religious folks are trying to impose their views on others by enacting legislation that is consistent with their religious beliefs, regardless of whether or not it is good for the people. That's why it matters to us what other people believe. The laws enacted by the religious fanatics impact our lives too. So I'll ask you a question: How can you people look at the picture of that boy and still oppose stem cell research?

May 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • whatabunchofmorons

Well said my points exactly.

May 25, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • mary43

Dear Support the Doctors...why is it that you can use this site as a soap box for your beliefs ie. stem cell research, but you have the nerve to comment on someone asking for prayer for his sick son. This site has the most hateful, intolerant, hypocrites than any other!!!

August 28, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  4. CW

You know there are some pretty "SICK" PEOPLE writing.

I hope this family keeps praying...whatever God's will is..be done.

May 25, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • SeanNJ

So there's no connection between the praying and the outcome, I guess. I mean, if "God's will be done" anyway, then the praying part seems kinda silly.

May 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • marsmotel

May 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • CW

@ SeanNJ,

Ahhhhh...one of the "SICK" PEOPLE pops in for jab.

you feel better?

May 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • Pssst

Reminding "God" to do his will? Is he real forgetful? Does he lose his concentration unless he is badgered to bits?

"Please, please, please, God, do what you are going to do anyway. Please, please, please."

May 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • CW

@ marsmotel,

Yet another one of the "SICK"...I might add "insane" people pops in as well.

You can surely tell those that are non believers surely have NO COMPASSION......

hope it makes you feel good.....your going to regret all your words one day....hope you repent...so you don't.

May 25, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • Pixie

I have sincere, heartfelt compassion and good will towards those who are suffering.

If I show it by wishing upon a star in their behalf, it is every bit as valid and useful and effective as any prayer.

May 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • marsmotel

I am not the insane one. People who do the same thing over and over and expect a different outcome is the definition of insanity in the dictionary. I will take the dictionary over your book any day. You sir are the sick one who believes in imaginary people and always ask them for help when no one owes you anything.

May 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@CW: No, I don't feel particularly better, or worse for that matter. I don't understand why pointing out the obvious illogical nature of your statement makes me SICK.

May 25, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • David Johnson

@marsmotel

You said: "Now I get you Sean. I did have to read it again and again. And, yes, that would be silly. Why pray if the outcome will stay the same. Isn't that the definition of insanity?"

Don't know about insanity, but if god has a plan for everyone, it would not, could not change anything.

"You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your book!" [Psalm 139:16]

So this child's fate, as well as all the children around the world, is apparently set.

Cheers!

May 25, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Frogist

CW : "You can surely tell those that are non-believers surely have NO COMPASSION..... your going to regret all your words one day...."
      Gotta love the irony of someone calling for compassion but issuing threats in the same breath.

May 26, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  5. Ed

I thinks its sad that people can't just let this family have their faith. Whether you agree or not it is helping them get through this. It isn't causing anyone any harm and is providing them with comfort during a really hard time in their lives. Instead of leaving them be the humanist atheist berated them and use their hardship to deny God and insult all the faithful. If tahts what it is to be a humanist I stick with the religious. Stop using thiis to try to prove God is fake or wrong or evil. You don't know God you don't know what caused this and you don't have the right to out this people through any more. Let have the faith.

May 25, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • TheyNotHim

Isn't causing anyone harm?

May 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • Ed

all of which has absolutely nothing to do with this story. the only people being hateful here are the atheists and the humanist. they are doing all the things they and yu complain about the fasithful doing.

May 25, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • YourMom

@TheyNotHim – Does it make you feel better to lump all Christians in the "anti" crowd? Does that make your argument a little stronger? I don't agree with half those things but consider myself a Christian. Way to have an open mind like all atheists (see what I did there).

May 25, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • TheyNotHim

I most certainly do not have an open mind. I believe organized religion is a pox on our human condition and must be eradicated. I have an agenda, a firm grasp of facts and logic, and the proverbial "pen", mightier than many swords. When the bible has been forgotten by the seed of man I shall rest easy and not before.

Stop spreading HATE, stop starting WARS, stop infecting the minds of our children with FEAR and we will be quiet...

May 25, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Ed

From the article how are they spreading hate or starting wars.

May 25, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • Colin

I find myself in the unusual position of agreeing with something Ed said. I am as strong an atheist as anybody, but I feel no need to be expressing my view on this particular story.

No matter how valid your point, no matter how carefully it is expressed, all people will hear is "another bitter atheist beating up on injured people".

Let's pick our battles, my unbelieving friends. Persuasion involves knowing when to be silent as much as it does knowing when to speak.

May 25, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • NotYou

@TheyNotHim

"Isn't causing anyone harm?

Hardly...anti-gay, anti-reproductive freedom, pro-gun, pro-war, hate and disdain for all who do not belong to the cult of christianity? Any of this ring a bell?"

And what have YOU done to help other people in need other than sit on your @ss at the computer and attack people in online forums?

May 25, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Ed

@theynothim I do see a lot of hate on this post but not from the faithful. You calling the faithful spreaders of hate. Hello pot this is the kettle .... your black.

May 25, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  6. Wow

With his undying love he reached down and lifted the tornado off the ground and spared Joplin
    oh no wait, that didn't happen. Better pray for a miracle.

May 25, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  7. Shawn

So "god" saved your childs life only to put him thru a lot of pain. Not to mention leaving him paralyzed and possibly mentally retarded?

May 25, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • YourMom

Feel like a big guy for anonymously putting people down in their most vulnerable time? I understand you are a teenager and probably have no idea what it is like to see your child in pain. But leave these people alone. I don't really give a rats a what you believe in, so let others believe and find comfort in what they want.

May 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  8. kris

What happened to the grandfather?

May 25, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • PoudBaptistGirl

I was wondering that too. I would assume he made it out unharmed since there was no mention of him. I hope and pray he did. Has to make you wonder why they were worried about a refund at Home depot during a major storm.

May 25, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  9. weller

Ah man, what did god have against innocent kids and babies to mutilated and kill them. I feel for these poor parents. Medical technology can do wonders these days so hold out hope.

May 25, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Shawn

Agreed. god is an a**hole.

May 25, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • YourMom

@Shawn, well then if you feel that way give him a try-you two would have something in common.

May 25, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  10. David Johnson

A tornado races through a trailer park, destroying everything in its path. One man and his trailer are untouched. It is a miracle!

No it isn't. It's random chance. Rewind everything and send the tornado back through the park. This time the fellow and his trailer will be toast. Someone else may well survive.

Miracles consist of coincidence and random chance. No god required.

Cheers!

May 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • mary43

Every time you safely get to and fro a destination it's a miracle. The birth of a baby is a miracle. When someone is healed it's a miracle. Jesus rising from the dead was a miracle. His saving grace is a miracle. I hope one day you will understand that and believe.

August 28, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • thrive against

@mary43....Zombie love... that what it's all about....dying and coming back to life...for the sins that you didn't do but were passed down to you from a couple of people who ate a piece of fruit....gotta love the logic in all that.

August 28, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  11. LeftCoastMike

Prayer might be comforting, but it didn't save any lives here and will provide food, water and shelter to those who have suffered horrible loss, including all the non-christian types who do not pray to Jesus. A leson to be learned here is a also a word to the wise, that being:

(1) put down your Bibles;

(2) pick up (and please read) a science text on meteorology;

(3) try to comprehend what is happening across the planet; and,

(4) accept the overwhelming scientific data that climate change is taking place on a rapid, dramatic scale and that it is not some "liberal hoax" that your idiotic local politician would like to buy because he takes lobbyists $$$$ from big polluters and carbon emmiters.

When you have educated yourselves, then you will have a fighting chance to protect yourself from the ongoing disasters we are experiencing. And, for the sake of your children, stop listening to idiot politicians who can accept reality ... which is by the way, the absolute truth, any way you look at it.

May 25, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Tatia

You really are ignorant aren't you? Don't just assume that people with faith believe they will always get the answer they want and just because they pray they will be safe. They know it is not that way. Don't just assume people with faith are not more intelligent than you are. I can tell you that living in this part of the country we know exactly what makes a tornado and what conditions make the formation of a tornado favorable. Unless you live in tornado alley I high doubt you know nearly as much about the weather conditions that create tornadoes as the Christians who live here.

I live in tornado alley and I have my storm spotter training. I can guarantee you that in Joplin being in the interior of the lowest level of a building would not have guaranteed safety. An f5 can suck the entire contents out of a basement and even destroy specially made storm shelters.

So why don't you just troll somewhere else? Good people are tired of hearing your stupidity. Besides, we all know that jerks like you would never go help anyone anyway, you talk a good game, but you will leave helping up to the church groups who will do fund raisers and bring busloads of their parishioners to the devastated areas to help with the clean-up.

May 25, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • twiddly

Tatia, you missed the point. It may not have been made as nicely as it could have, but the gist is this:
      The right-wing (republicans, religious right...) has consistently pooh-poohed climate change and we're paying the price now.

Praying will not fix anything. Vote the idiot republicans and teabaggers out of office, ask your rep to work on fixing climate change, and spend time and money on the poor victims of this disaster, which will actually do something [unlike prayer].

May 25, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • YourMom

@Twiddly. I am neither a republican nor a tea bagger but what in the world does climate change have to do with this year's tornado season? Despite the high death toll, it is still not the highest or most numerous in history. I will say that it's weird to see the atheist putting down Christians and throwing out talking points as if to convert the masses as they accused the Christian groups of doing. Get over yourself.

May 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  12. Steve Portaro

How about we pray that god doesn't make more tornado's and he stops murdering people?

May 25, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Michael

I hear that!! Why would you pray to someONE who has done such a terrible thing to you?

May 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Wow

Obviously you haven't heard that god has a plan for everyone.
      Some people he plans to hit with a tornado.
      Some people he plans to drown in a flood.
      Some people get cancer.
      He truly moves in mysterious ways and it's wrong of us to question his grand plan (but it's ok to lobby him with prayers just in case he's willing to change his mind).

May 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • TheyNotHim

@WoW

So why do you worship this guy if he hits some people with a tornado and hits others with cancer? You would generally call this type of deity "evil" seems to me..."Good, all knowing, merciful, etc." does not describe your god..."cruel, harsh, jealous, mean spirited, evil, childish, brutish, etc"...these are more accurate, and I don't want to know that jerk...

May 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • YourMom

@Wow, you might want a learn a thing or two about a faith before you bash it. I'd bet 95% of those that pray don't expect an answer that they want when they want it. It's simply a form of communication and comfort with the God they believe in. I see nothing wrong with that.

May 25, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • mary43

No sorry to disappoint you but people kill people, not guns, not knives, not weapons, or God. He saves people and thankfully He is longsuffering.

August 28, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  13. Tatia

It makes me sick to see all the hateful comments in regard to this family and their faith. Their faith is their business; it is what is getting them through this with-out twisting them into evil, hateful monsters like you! It is what makes them good people who will help their neighbor even when they are hurting. All of you supposed superior people who are judging them for having faith will do little for the people who are affected by these tornadoes. You are all too busy judging and bashing and hating to do anything good for society. Let’s just tell it like it is, you have no lives and troll the news boards looking for a place to spread your stupidity and hatred.
    I believe in God, but I am not a devoted Christian. So if you claim I am some really devout Christian it would be laughable. With that, I refuse to take other people's devotion away from them! If you want to go hate on someone for their beliefs, go look in the mirror. There will be someone standing there who deserves a little of your judgment and hatred. In other words, judge yourself for your weakness before you judge others for anything!

May 25, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • LP

Americans aren't given a right to their own religions anymore. The anti-religion wackos come out in force anytime the term is even mentioned. I'm an atheist, and I want rights for myself and my lack of faith. But guess what? If you get one, you get the other. If I have the right not to believe, then anyone else has the right to believe whatever they want. More power to them. A true atheist wouldn't have a problem with this. He would be secure in his own beliefs. It's only the closet cases who come here and kick up a storm because someone was praying without their authorization.

May 25, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@LP: You're clearly not an atheist.

May 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  14. SILVERGIRL

Who the heck wrote this? There are so many errors! Neuralgic? Really? Wow. Punctuation, describing cousin Mason as "her". Etc., etc.

May 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  15. s

Vel,
    Atheists don't believe in God because they are not resilient. They do not understand or know sacrifice. They would only believe in something if it benefits them, otherwise it is dismissed. Religion in your eyes can only be self serving. To a faithful person, it doesn't have to be. It doesn't have to come with instant rewards and answered prayers. The faithful have something you could never understand- discipline, obedience, and unconditional love. Vel, I feel sorry for you. You are indifferent, Boring, Unfulfilled, passionless, and spoiled. You are not truly living if you don't believe.
    One thing I always notice is that atheists always fail to mention an important player in our faith. Just as we believe in God, the faithful also believe in Satan. You always take the winy baby approach of "well why didn't God save you?" Vel God doesn't owe me anything. God doesn't have to save me. And who am I to question and pretentiously claim that dying is a punishment? Who says it is? Are you certain that death is God's way of abandoning you? So Vel, see.. you don't know sh**t either. The only thing you do know very well is how to act like a know-it-all and making others feel like they are beneath you. Atheists desire one thing only...the upper hand. Recognition that they may know something someone else doesn't. Interestingly enough, your need to "enlighten" others of your beliefs takes the shape of what many religions were founded upon.

May 25, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • Chicken Little

When are the thumpers going to stop saying "the atheists" "all" do this, or think that. I realize that the simple minded approach is the name-of-the-game, but come on. I don 't know any two atheists that think the same thing, and I am fortunate to know a LOT of them.

May 25, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • fedup

Chicken Little,
      Are you not generalizing as well by saying "the thumpers?" And how OCD of you to knitpick on words such as "all" and "they". Give me a break! How anal of you... and what a weak point to make. You're very sensitive aren't you?

May 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Nonimus

@s,
      "Atheists don't believe in God because they are not resilient. They do not understand or know sacrifice..."
      Please don't claim to know what Atheists believe and understand, unless it is the one thing that Atheism entails, a lack of belief in god(s).

May 25, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • YourMom

@ChickenLittle – yet all the anti-Christian comments I have read so far have lumped all Christians in to similar black and white, simplified categories. Serves neither "side" very well.

May 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Hitch

s, non-believes tend not to believe for lack of sufficient positive, consistent, indicative evidence. I can be resilient all I want & try really, really hard to (make) believe that I have blue hair, instead of the reddish blonde that it is, but in the end I am not able to honestly say I believe I have blue hair as there isn’t sufficient evidence that I do. Taking such a stance is more about being authentic. In terms of sacrifice, one could argue they make the ultimate sacrifice as they live life & go without appealing to ‘god’ as a form of social & psychological crutch when hard times come. Like to see you make that kind of sacrifice, or that level of discipline.

The concept of heaven is highly enticing & quite self-serving, though logic & evidence must prevail & I cannot delude myself in such a place in absence of evidence. Far from being self-serving or passionless, non-believers are all around, helping others & contributing in meaningful ways without any dangling of a carrot. They don’t find fulfillment in some imaged fantasy land for which there is no evidence for, but that doesn’t mean their actions here have no meaning.

‘the faithful also believe in Satan’

So you’re saying ‘satan dun it’? Well, at any rate you’d still need to explain why the all-powerful, all loving being didn’t mind preventing it.

May 26, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
  16. SILVERGIRL

where are the spell checkas? Neuralgic? Really? This was bad!

May 25, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • SILVERGIRL

HAHA~ I guess I need a spell checker too! Oops!

May 25, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  17. John

I believe in God. I can not say that God provides any protection physically to our bodies.The Bible only claims spiritual protection. People die all the time. God does not intervene. Those who think that God will protect them are lying to themselves and their children. Get real people!

May 25, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • JustPassingBy

Amen! Everything happens for a reason, even in the "bad things" God is in control ....proof is that we are still here even though we ALL deserve death because of our sins and for unbelief. May the Lord Bless this family and all others that are going through this tragedy ....may their faith be strengthened.

May 25, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  18. Russ

Yea, Tim and all you others that cling to the prayer and faith nonsense. When you fall off the bridge or cliff instead of hanging on to a branch or some other tangible life line, you hold on to your faith in Jesus and see if it prevents your fall and pending death. Don't think the prayer's will help. Maybe a little luck will but that's it. And all the prayers in the world will not change the outcome for the folks suffering in this monster of a tornado season. What will help them is food, water and financial support. So quit being lazy with the prayer crap and donate.

May 25, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Mickey

Russ,why so angry? I am praying for you dear.Now run along and donate like you told the others to do! Sweet boy!!

May 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • LP

You're protesting awfully hard, putting so much time and energy into it. Could it be that you're embarrassed about your own faith? Nooooo, it couldn't possibly be that, could it? 😉

May 25, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Laurie

Why do you care if people are religious and have faith in God? This is America and you can believe whatever you want. I think your anger about someone believing in God may indicate you deep down wish you had that same kind of faith, but are fighting hard not to accept it. I hope you will give Christianity a try. You will be surprised at how God can take your anger and calm you. If you won't give it a try, I hope you'll keep an open mind and try not to condemn people's beliefs, especially at a time when it is so important to them.

May 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • JustPassingBy

what is the point of having faith in good times faith is demonstrated in hard and challenging times. When real faith is activated God does steps in, clearly you have no faith and the proof is in your bitterness. You cannot add a single minute to your life ....only God can it has nothing to do with luck

May 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  19. Frank Ricard

Great article. Makes me feel good about my lot in life when I see people/families who are clearly stupid with their thoughts and beliefs.

May 25, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  20. janetlaw

Hey, whatever works – prayer, meditation, hope – whatever gets the people of Joplin through this tragedy!

May 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm |