home
RSS
Mark Burnett to turn the Bible into a series
May 25th, 2011

Mark Burnett to turn the Bible into a series

Oh Lord, the Bible is being turned into a miniseries.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, reality TV producer Mark Burnett will be helming the series, which will be a "five-part, 10-hour scripted docu-drama with live-action and state-of-the-art CG" to air on the History Channel.

"This is probably the most important book in mankind, regardless of your beliefs or religious affiliation," History president and general manager Nancy Dubuc told THR. "This series will bring the historical stories of the Bible to life for a new generation.

Read the full story about Burnett's Bible series on CNN's Marquee blog.
- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Bible • Culture & Science • TV

1. Iaintbuyingit

What? Does he think he can do a better job than thousands of scholars and lay people that actually love to study the bible and even try to apply its' underlying principles to their own lives? It will be interesting to see what 21st centurey reality tv spin he puts on it.

May 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • JohnR

I guess that would depend on how good those scholars' cinematographic skills are.

May 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  2. Adelina

The American soldiers must learn WHY they fight from the Bible. There will be no more suicide or depression. America needs Bible education in order to obtain a purpose of life, dignity and integrity. Life is not about stuffing the stupid self all the time.

May 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • myweightinwords

American soldiers fight to defend their country and to uphold the goals of their country. It has nothing to do with what is in the bible.

May 25, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Adelina

What are the goals of America? If those are properly and honorably understood by the soldiers, why are so many of them in troubles, then, the symptoms of the loss of purpose?

May 25, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • myweightinwords

Adelina...the goals of our country? Well, that depends on the situation.

As to the individual soldiers? They suffer as we all do, differently, from a variety of things. Taking the life of another human being isn't like it is in the movies. It affects you. So does watching people die around you. Being the only survivor of a battle. So many things. Of course they're going to bring it home with them.

If they didn't, if that stuff didn't change them? That would be scary.

May 25, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • Adelina

@My-, people around the world go through a lot harder things than US soldiers in battlefields, without means of any sense of defense or prospectives of future. I think Americans are made into having false fantasies regarding the world and regarding themselves as they started scorning the Bible. Americans need re-education on why their country exists, what roles she played and why she must go on regardless of all the oncoming obstacles. America's weakness is from the outright Bible illiteracy and from living for meaningless, filthy pleasures, namely, living for self.

May 25, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • myweightinwords

Adelina, are you laboring under the false assumption that the United States is meant to be Christian?

Our government is secular. Our citizenry guaranteed freedom of religion.

Our soldier's problems, along with those of average human beings the world over, are because of being human.

May 25, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Iaintbuyingit

Adelina,

You cannot convince anyone to accept that there is something or someone greater than self. It is up to the parents up to a certain age, then it is up to life to either lead them to Him or away from HIm. It is as simple as that. Once you get to Him and understand that it doesn't stop there, that you have to make certain life choices that are contrary to the world, then you have to choose sides. As you can see, lots of people choose self and pop religion/psychology. They refuse to deny themselves what they believe is their, now get this, God given right. Go figure.

As far as why American Armed Forces fight... It is for every reason that the great armed forces of the bible fought. 1. Defense of country, religion, way of life, land and its resources, power and dominion. Remember, man was made to have dominion of the land and animals.

Every country on this planet fights for the same reasons. American is no bully but just has the desire to stay on top.

May 25, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • Adelina

@My-, Humans can find meaning and purpose only in God, no other. America must at least stop blaspheming. There is no meaning in nations that ignore the Creator God. You are making yourselves sick on your own. If you were pagan, you'd be still just fighting to live. But you had your full by the rich Christian heritage and you are repaying the good with evil now. Ills will never part from such person/s in that case, the Bible declares.

May 25, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Adelina

@Laint-, see? You are completely ignorant on USA's significance in the world. It is not dominance, power or money. Some stupid, self-smart, self-powerful Americans may have thought that way, but they were only used for a more grand purpose. USA as the main character is liberation of the world and bringing freedom, human rights and justice to all. It's the basic thing. You guys are falsely purposing yourselves and falsely educated that self-fulfillment is American. Wrong.

May 25, 2011 at 2:04 pm |

Adelina,

I find you difficult to understand. America is not a Christian nation. We never were. We are not a Jewish nation or a Muslim one or a Pagan one. We are a nation of individuals, each with our own faith or no faith. This is how we have always been.

And meaning comes from many places other than faith. I found purpose in my life after leaving Christianity. I found meaning in my work, in my passion for writing and for photography. I found love in the people around me. I found happiness, deep, soul fulfilling happiness in a faith that stresses personal responsibility and realistic principles for living.

May 25, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Adelina

@My-, America was a Christian nation, created by Christians and you still have more than 3/4 pop. to claim to be Christian. All the noble values your nation has are from Christianity. Your present placement of values made you incapable of helping others truly and sacrificially and you don't know it. Why did you trust in yourself instead of God? And ignoring God, you are doing the most evil thing that a creature can ever do. Your happiness is your selfishness.

May 25, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> All the noble values your nation has are from Christianity.

Yes, the most important ones being the right to free speech and the right to religion. Clearly those are Christian concepts...

– You shall have no other Gods before me.
      – You shall not take the name of the Lord in vain.

Hrm, maybe not it seems.

May 25, 2011 at 2:39 pm |

May 25, 2011 at 2:45 pm |

Adelina,

We are all selfish, everyone of us. Some of us more than others. It is human nature.

I do not follow your arguments about my "present placement of values" and my incapability of helping others". You do not know what my values are in order to judge them, you can only judge based on my statement that I am no longer Christian. Nor do you know my deeds and actions to judge them.

May 25, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Adelina

@My-, you are excluding God in your life. That says it all. You may be able to boast of being youself before men but not before the all-knowing, all-seeing God. You need Jesus to be saved from yourself just as any other human beings do. You don't see your own sin because you are blind. Ask God for help, since you are not okay as you are.

May 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • Huh?

"you are excluding God in your life."

Since there is no God there can't be anything to exclude. Only weak minded people believe as you do.

May 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • myweightinwords

Adelina, there is nothing I have ever done that would require atonement with blood. Not mine, not that of some sacrifice.

When I err, and I do...far too frequently I'm afraid, I atone as needed, to those I have harmed with my error. I learn from the situation and I attempt to correct my behavior.

And I promise you, if at the end of this life I find myself standing before your god and he judges that inadequate, I'll thank him to cast me away. He is not a god I could conceive spending an eternity with.

You may think that arrogant. I'm okay with that.

May 25, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> Bobi, truth is freedom. What did you get by putting yourself as a god? The worst lifestyles the mankind has ever known.

I put myself as a God? No. You clearly don't understand my position. I don't know everything and I strive to know as many true things as possible, as believing false things is bad.

I once thought the bible was true. I once believed in God. I consider myself more free now that I'm an atheist, with a better understanding of the world then I did previously. Does that mean I have found truth based on your previous statement?

May 25, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • LoneZero

@myweightinwords

Don't bother with Adelina she is a nut, myself and many others already proved her a liar and she knows full that our country is secular and was never a chrisitan nation nor founded by it, she just likes to bash americans and hide behind her religion for a shield and to justify it, she vanished after we proved her wrong and she waited awhile to return and spew the same tribble to diffrent users, sorry Adelina your wrong and liar and your words are as worthless as your claim is to be christian cause obviously your not one just a troll.

May 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  3. Adelina

Nothing replaces reading the Bible text itself. Hope this project helps to encourage building up the literacy, not the opposite.

May 25, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • gozer

Anyone with at least half a brain that reads the bible in any detail will cease to believe the ridiculous stories that it is full of.

May 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm |

Like what?

May 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • myweightinwords

Reading the bible in full and holding it up to my conscience is a large part of what lead me away from what was, for me, a very toxic religion. Add to that learning how the bible came to be what it is today, and studying the cultures in which it was formulated lead me to freedom.

May 25, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Adelina

@My-, you should have realized how you as a being is hopelessly toxic, your conscience is contaminated and how other nations are normal in many ways comparing to the present America. Anything good that happened in America or what Americans contributed as good are because of the Christian faith, nothing else. Your self-reliance is the worst toxic religion.

May 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm |

Adelina,

You don't know what I believe or don't believe based on the very little I've said here. I once believed that I was indeed hopelessly sinful, irredeemable. That belief was part of what led me to be a very hateful person.

Thankfully, I found my way free of that belief, I learned that I was a worthy, beautiful being with a responsibility to be a person of charity and love, rather than one of judgment and animosity.

May 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Adelina

@My-, your problem is your false theology. Of course you were redeemable – by Jesus. You could not redeem yourself. You are worthy and beautiful because God created you in His image as all humans were and you are valuable to Him. If what you said is all true, why do you support infanticide and perversion? And why do you hate Christians?

May 25, 2011 at 1:51 pm |

Adelina,

Where have I expressed hate of anyone? I disagree with some, but that is not the same, and I strive to always do so without harsh words, name calling or hatred. In fact I count some Christians among my very good friends. I also have friends who are Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, atheists, various types of Pagan, etc.

What do you know of my theology, other than the fact that I rejected the notion that a particular theology?

I reject the idea that anything I am capable of doing is enough to remove me from union with what is Divine. I reject the notion that anything someone who is not me can do to atone for anything I have done. In fact, I find the notion of atonement as Christianity teaches it to be abhorrent.

Peace is not bought with blood.

May 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Adelina

@My-, you are relying on your capacity to be good which is actually non-existent. You don't believe in peace brought by blood, then you will overlook victims so you can keep your little peace just for yourself. At the end, you will do anything to save your own skin. You are naive. We had enough of your kinds who betrayed conscience all over the world. That's what the Bible has been teaching; when you are trusting yourself, you turn into the worst monster. Christians are unconditionally good and prudent because they never trust themselves. Both history and present world conditions prove this point.

May 25, 2011 at 2:13 pm |

Adelina,

For someone who claims to be knowledgeable of the bible, it seems that you skipped over Matthew 22:39. For someone so moral, you seem to spew more hate than anyone on these boards. WWJD? Probably not insult everyone who disagrees with him. I guess the parable of the good Samaritan was lost on you (hint: those that don't believe the same way you do can still be moral and do good things)

May 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • KingdomWork

Well spoken Adelina!

May 25, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Frogist

@myweightinwords: Your fort!tude and character shows itself in your conversation with Adelina. While she strikes out with bias and uninformed assumptions, you have tried merely to explain there is another path which can be as beautiful as one makes it. For that, I salute you.

May 25, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • Adelina

Stevie, don't take fact-telling as hatred. I hate none. Telling the truth is a form of love. When I speak of morality here, it's in absolute sense. Man is not good; man needs God to be truly good(moral) – an observed univeral fact and reality regarding mankind.

May 25, 2011 at 2:36 pm |

Adelina,

I rely on my conscience to guide me. I choose to serve my fellow man in ways that I can. I'm not going to blow my own horn with listing out what I do in that service, but I give of my time and my money and my talents. Whether that is "good" or not I do not judge. It is what I am called to do.

I do not understand why you think I overlook victims? I speak only for myself when I say that peace can not be bought by blood. For me, the concept is disgusting.

I have seen atrocities performed in the name of God, from Christians and Jews and Muslims and others. Religion of any stripe is no protection against doing evil.

In the end, I will stand by my life and learn the lessons it teaches. No matter what that end is. Living and dying by what I believe to be true.

May 25, 2011 at 2:38 pm |

@Frogist,

I thank you for the kind words. I do endeavor to disagree without denigration. I have been known to slip up from time to time, of course. Good day to you.

May 25, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • YeahRight

“Christians are unconditionally good and prudent because they never trust themselves. Both history and present world conditions prove this point.”

It wipes out indigenous religions, customs, languages, and ethics all in the name of civilization and missionary work. The loss of richness of culture is a terrible.

May 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> Man is not good; man needs God to be truly good(moral) – an observed univeral fact and reality regarding mankind.

Ummmm, it was God who made Man to sin in the garden of Eden if you believe that nonsense.

May 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • Adelina

@My-, you will only follow your conscience when it's convenient but not in crucial moments. Names of religions were misused and you know that. Religious allegiance is usually stronger than human conscience. It was used very well when religion was interpreted correctly. @Yeahright: Christian missionaries liberated barbarians from deadly barbarism. Many of their customs should never be continued especially those on women, children, invalids and minorities.

May 25, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Adelina

Bobi, don't blame God for your own evil.

May 25, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Huh?

"you will only follow your conscience when it's convenient but not in crucial moments."

Prove this – what total nonsense!

May 25, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Adelina
      So when Christians handed out smallpox infected blankets to indiginous American tribes, that was a form of salvation? Attempted genocide "for their own good"?
      In the past, I've given you a current, concrete, irrefutable instance of secular medics saving hundreds of children who were dying becuase of religious persecution. You have conveniently chosen to ignore it time and again.
      Christianity is NOT a requisite for people to do good!

May 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Adelina
      You asked: "Like what?"

Like these:

God created Adam from a handful of dirt; Talking snakes; trees that bear fruit, that imparts knowledge and eternal life; a global flood, that required a pair of each organism on earth, be stuffed onto a boat; people who lived hundreds of years; a man who was swallowed by a fish, only to be spit up 3 days later, unhurt; a tower god was afraid might reach heaven; a woman who is turned into a pillar of salt; talking donkeys; unicorns; satyrs; a leviathan god creates and then does battle with; a zombie messiah, who was actually god incarnate; zombie Saints who left their graves and wandered about the town; belief in a circular, flat earth you could fall off the edge of.

Cheers!

May 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@David Johnson
      Good to see you in here.
      The story of the Tower of Babel has always filled me with horror.
      Humankind is working as one to build something epic when God comes to destroy the work and deliberately cause divisions amongst the human race.
      The moral of the story? Don't try to work together – God wants us at each other's throats.

May 25, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • Frogist

@Adelina: "Ask God for help, since you are not ok as you are." This is my ultimate problem with certain Christians. The insistence in their God's punishment of eternal damnation no matter how kind, honest, gentle or giving a person is. It seems the allegiance is more important to them than moral behaviour ever would be. A God who cares more about whether I bow to him than whether I behave in a morally upright way can never be looked upon as just, loving or benevolent more than power-hungry.

May 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm |

Adelina,

Again, you know nothing about me to make such a statement. In times of crisis I have nothing more to cling to than what I know to be true.

I don't know what you mean by "religious allegiance is usually stronger than human conscience". Our religious choices are dictated by our conscience.

May 25, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> Bobi, don't blame God for your own evil.

If God is omniscient and created the universe he is responsible for my evil. Of course, you'll have to think on why that is the case, which isn't your strong suit I'm afraid.

May 25, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  4. myweightinwords

I am usually amused by Hollywood's attempt at re-creating biblical stories. I'll be interested in seeing if they keep to the written word exactly, to the common understanding of the stories or attempt at re-imagining them based on scholarly investigation of the times and external validation of the stories.

Not saying I'll necessarily watch the whole thing, but I'll likely give the first two hours a go.

May 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Frogist

@myweightinwords : Certainly it will be towards someone's bias. Of that we can be sure. I hardly think they will really have scholars on hand to authenticate the validity and relevance of every passage before they start filming. After all it's only 10hrs. And it'll be a fascinating meeting when they get the feedback from the test audience. "Soooo does Jesus have to be so... you know... Jewish?" I personally can't wait for the two hour episode of the "begats"...
      It sure will be an interesting ride though!

May 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • myweightinwords

@Frogist, Oh the begats are awesome!

Would you believe at one time I had them memorized? I could go from Adam to David to Jesus. Yes, I have always been a geek, why do you ask?

I'm sure it will give us something to talk about, if nothing else.

May 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Frogist

@myweightinwords: Adam to David to Jesus, oh my! Color me impressed. I don't think I would ever have the willpower. Love a geek!

May 25, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  5. Adelina

May 25, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • Tim

Not only do secular Americans read the bible, most of them are more educated about religion than non-secular Americans.

Every atheist/agnostic I know formed their views after educating themselves about various religions and after really understanding the theistic point of view. It takes a great deal of understanding to realize what a load of crap most of these groups are trying to sell you.

May 25, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> The Bible is for all time and for all people. Secular Americans don't read it or comprehend it because they are made naive and childish by the false political correctness and their excessive immorality.

For intelligent people though, they ask "Why does this person think this?"

See the difference. One is living with your head in the sand, the other is searching for the truth.

I understand the bible just fine by the way. I grew up a Christian and was actually considering going to seminary. It's only my actual study of the bible that led me to the conclusion that it's a bunch of hooey. And even after finding out what a pile of nonsense it actually is, I still live a moral life and choose to do good things.

May 25, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Adelina, You really can't believe that, can you? I see as much immortality and amoral behavior coming out of the religious communities than the secular.

May 25, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • Adelina

You guys are another case of incomplete work, unfinished degree and abandoned quest. Be genuine. Be a man. Get a life.

May 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • Adelina

The atheists give up on morality, insisting immorality as something positive so they can contimue their evil autonomy. The religious battle against evil, continue the search for the truth, find God and bring the ultimate good to the world.

May 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • The Bobinator

The Bobinator Said: Stupid people villify those who hold opposite positions from their own. To them, the statement "They're immoral, they're evil, they're ignorant" is enough of an explanation.

Adelina Replies: The atheists give up on morality, insisting immorality as something positive so they can contimue their evil autonomy.

Thanks for proving my point. Do you even know how to have an intelligent conversation? Or do you just merely keep asserting things when challenged?

May 25, 2011 at 1:11 pm |

May 25, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • Jeremie

Just because you claim to be a Christian does not mean you are have monopoly on morality. You can morals without the need to believe in a God. Do you even know what being moral means? By the way, there are countries that are not religious at all and they’re doing just fine.

May 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • gozer

Adelina, at least read up on basic logical fallacies. Your posts tend to be full of them.

May 25, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • Adelina

Jeremie, non-christians have no morality; just common sense. There are no such countries. Don't bring up your own fantasies as a fact.

May 25, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • Duh

Adelina you are nuts. Gandhi and the Dali Lama are great examples of non-Christians that have tremendous morality. You don't have be a christian to be moral.

It's closed minded Christians like you that are the issue for humanity.

May 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Adelina

Why didn't Gandhi free Dalits and Dalai Lama bring freedom to the Buddhist-majority nations? They are no moral though they had some positive contribution. It's always Christian missionaries who ultimately and relentlessly liberate, help and rescue the victims among mankind.

May 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • OK

"It's always Christian missionaries who ultimately and relentlessly liberate, help and rescue the victims among mankind."

When talking about a moral quality involving a course of action you are talking about ethics. Morality is how a person uses rules or habits with regard to right and wrong that he or she follows. You're clueless.

May 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Adelina

@OK: If it's not Biblical Christian morality, morality cannot liberate people but any belief systems always oppress people one way or another. There was and is no exception to that. Apart from Christianity, freedom of conscience did not exist, to start with.

May 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> Bobi, I gave you a general truth here. Go back to school. You gave up too early. Don't try to fit the world into your small mind. It should be the other way around. You must expand your mind as things are taught to you.'

A general truth. Is that the same as a general stereotype? From your post I think it would be.

The funny thing is here that I have yet to see you provide one decent rebuttal to anyone who challenges your statements. You merely move on to your next talking point.

But I'll give it a shot. If I admit that I don't know everything, which I freely do, how can you assert that I'm trying to fit everything into my brain?

In all honestly Ade, your thinking is so muddled that you don't know what logic is. I don't even think you know what method should be used to determine who's right and who's wrong. It's sad that you think stating your opinion as fact because it comes from an "authority" counts for something. It doesn't. When you're educated enough to understand this concept, then maybe we can have a discussion

As for the school stuff, LOL. BSc Biochemistry and I work as a medical database engineer. 🙂

May 25, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Frogist

Whoa! Father Bobinator! LOL! smh I just can't picture it...

May 25, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> If it's not Biblical Christian morality, morality cannot liberate people but any belief systems always oppress people one way or another. There was and is no exception to that. Apart from Christianity, freedom of conscience did not exist, to start with.

Yes, it'd be absolutely horrible to be forced into believing something under threat of eternal torture. Those damn evil alternative theologies. Oh wait...

May 25, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Pssst

Adelina,

Wow! Those Calvinist missionaries sure did a number on you, didn't they? It is unfortunate. There *is* a way back to reality, but perhaps you are too far gone.

May 25, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • civiloutside

Something that occurs to me from watching Adelina's posts over the last couple months. She's using different definitions of words than the rest of us. It appears as if, in her mind, the definition of the word "morality" begins and ends with the word "Christianity," and the words "freedom" and "liberty" mean only "ability to practice Christianity."

Thusly, when we say things to her like "It's possible to be moral without being Christian," it seems like nonsense to her because what she sees is the sentence "It's possible to be Christian without being Christian." it looks like a contradiction, so she thinks she's actually being logical when she claims it's impossible. In her world, even if a non-Christian were to behave in all ways in accordance with Christian morality, they would still not be moral because they are not Christian.

Likewise, when she says "only Christian missionaries who relentlessly help and liberate mankind," what she means is "Only Christian missionaries relentlessly convert mankind to Christianity." Although her statements read like nonsense to us, they make perfect sense to her because she's not using words to represent the same concepts as the rest of us. So it's not really possible to argue across this language barrier unless she can somehow be convinced to start using the same definitions.

May 25, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  6. CW

Well see the atheist and non believers have made it to the blog,

Anyway...don't know what I would do if I were some of you....let me guess...I wouldn't believe in God....my expectations and beliefs would constantly change according to someone else's so called "proof" that they "could" rationally fabricate. I would put my faith in someone else's so called "science"(you know because there would be some "test" that would prove the scientist's point).... I would believe that I came from an ape(Man..this is funny enough alone)...oh and the best one yet....I would want "to do" whatever "the world"..aka "the man" wants...b/c as long as we all do what makes us all "feel good"....with all our selfish desires everything is OoooK.

Nah....I think I'll stick with the Bible...and with God...The above alone is so wi.shy-wa.shy one wouldn't know where to turn next......Oh yes...I look forward to watching the series. Something way better to watch other than some of the reality sm.ut on the tube.

May 25, 2011 at 11:49 am |
    • JohnQuest

CW, I thought you were above these straw man arguments. Come on you can do better than this.

May 25, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • The Bobinator

Explain to me how ideas changing to fit new information is a bad thing?

Also, can you explain to me why the more we discover, the more mistakes we find in the bible. Oh wait, I'm sorry, the more we discover, the more things that were once taught as fact move over to becoming metaphors. How silly of me.

May 25, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

You and Adelina make me laugh...in a shameful "I feel sorry for you guys" way. I guess ignorance must be bliss like they say otherwise you 2 would be miserable. I know I would if I had to abandon all intellect and reason to swallow the junk you both hold up as truth.
      In any case for your edification we didn't evolve from apes...we ARE apes. You just happen to be apes with delusions of grandeur. Get over yourselves...you aren't that important on a cosmic scale.

May 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • Frogist

@CW: And on another note... What do you think about the article?

May 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  7. Bucky Ball

Oh great. ANOTHER Hollywoodie's take on the series of ancient Near Eastern Iron Age texts, (cobbled together into a canon in the late classical period), about which he has never taken even ONE rigorous academic class. I for one, won't be watching.

May 25, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  8. Colin

The following is an actual conversation I once had in a bar in Shanghai over the famous Little Red Book of Communist China (whilst trying-unsuccessfully I might add-to woo the young lady back to my hotel room).

The following is paraphrased, but captures the gist of it:

Me. So you believe Mao Zedong was a wise and noble leader?

Her. Yes.

Me. Why do you believe Mao Zedong was a wise and noble leader?

Her. Because it is written in the Little Red Book.

Me. And why do you believe the Little Red Book?

Her. Because it was written by Mao Zedong, a wise and noble leader.

As an ardent fan of the famed Sino-Communist leader, this “logic” was satisfactory to her. I doubt she would have been so gratuitously accepting of a similar turn of logic concerning Adam Smith or another free market economist.

Indistinguishable is the Christian reasoning for believing in the divinity of Jesus Christ and the Judeo-Christian god:

Mr. A. Do you believe in god?

Mr. B. Yes

Mr. A. Why do you believe in god?

Mr. B. Because it is written in the Bible.

Mr. A. Why do you believe the Bible?

Mr. B. Because the Bible is the word of god.

As obvious and visible a case of circular reasoning that this is, it is essentially satisfactory to millions of Christians. They bootstrap their way into a belief that reciprocates by giving them so much artificial comfort about being immortal that they dare not question the circular and flawed route that took them there.

Moreover, they rely wholly and solely on the Bible for their god. It is not as though they also have other sources, such as “The Bible II” or “The Insider’s Bible – A Carpenter’s Tale” to also rely on. It is the ultimate sole sourcing.

The sheer inanity of this reasoning and people's sheep like acceptance of it is a constant source of awe to me. Indeed, the only mystery to me in the entire Judeo-Christian-Islam tradition is why we so blindly, unquestioningly and self-righteously yoke ourselves to a series of Bronze Age myths as some kind of universal truth.

May 25, 2011 at 11:27 am |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

Keep reading, This circular reasoning process is exactly what they are asking you to swallow here. See below.

May 25, 2011 at 11:43 am |
    • Mike

Colin, your argument is flawed. Consider that your Chinese example is making a claim about Mao's character. What if we heard it in the same way as your Christian version.
      Do you believe Mao exists?
      Why do you believe Mao exists?
      Because he wrote this book...

The Bible is evidence for Christians because we see it as written by God, and therefore evidence of his existence. Of course, we recognize the inseparable work of Humans in that effort, including their own words and imperfect perspectives. But we see God's fingerprints all over it. And it is a people's testimony over the course of 1500 years to their experience of God working in their history. So it serves as a testimony to God's character and very real existence.

May 25, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • Colin

@Mike. No, the last line would be "Becuase the book says Mao wrote it." Gets u nowhere.

May 25, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • Fluffy the Gerbil of Doom

@Mike
      LMAO. Exactly. You missed the point TOTALLY. THAT'S exactly what he was saying. It IS circular logic, get it ? That's his point.. OMG.

May 25, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • SeanNJ

@Mike: You said, "But we see God's fingerprints all over it."

You don't know what God's fingerprints look like.

May 25, 2011 at 11:59 am |
    • CW

@ Colin,

Well well...all the things you say sound insane to a christian don't you know? Let me clarify....Well I don't have the inescapable "proof"....so I can't believe...that is your arguement. Don't worry....there were people that were this way back when Jesus was walking the earth.

@ Mike,

May 25, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • Stevie7

"which could change at any moment according to the newest "hip" theory of the day."

Heaven forbid (pun intended) one attempts to educate oneself, and learn and discover things about the world. Or maybe you think you already know everything.

May 25, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> They are going to try all kinds of arguments...you have to realize that everything they believe in is predicated on "science" or their "own" understanding which could change at any moment according to the newest "hip" theory of the day.

First of all, you like to use the word believe in the same context as your belief in God. They're not one and the same.

Second of all, how is it bad that we base our decisions on the best available information we have.

Thirdly, can you tell me how this is somehow inferior to believing in something that doesn't have evidence, based on "Faith" which has led so many to many different interpretations and mistakes about the nature of the universe.

May 25, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Colin

Spot on, my friend. Well said. And... Still waiting for another "Top 10 Reasons List" of some kind ! 🙂

Peace...

May 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • Colin

Peace – on blog over my friend – the one about Catholics – who else!!

May 25, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Iaintbuyingit

Colin, what do you and those like you believe????? I mean enlighten the circular reasoning believer that what you believe is life, its purpose and why we are here. Explain to us the reasoning you use to explain the planet, solar system, animals, insects, bugs, night, day, tornadoes, the process of creation etc. I want you to explain to me the source of your beliefs and IF YOU SAY YOU BELIEVE IN YOU, THEN APPLY THE SAME CIRCULAR LOGIC BUT JUST REPLACE GOD OR MAO WITH YOUR NAME. IT REALLY IS THE SAME. YOU ARENT ANY DIFFERENT!!!

May 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • Stevie7

@laintbuyingit – "Explain to us the reasoning you use to explain the planet, solar system, animals, insects, bugs, night, day, tornadoes, the process of creation"

Science covers all of this. No belief is necessary. Since the dawn of man, we have devised creation myths to explain all of these phenomenon. We also came up with many more myths that explained the rising and setting of the sun, for example. Science has told us that these myths, which are not based upon fact or evidence, are false (e.g. the world is not flat, and the sun does not revolve around the earth)

May 25, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Iaintbuyingit: Your biggest misconception here is that you assume we need a "why." Nothing about the universe or our planet or our species implies that there has to be a reason. That you need such a reason is your own failing, not that of the universe.

May 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Frogist

@SeanNJ: I don't think it is a failing to ask "why". We all have that impulse. The failing may be to ask "why" of science which really is only concerned with "how". For the "why"s maybe philosophy would be a better place to look.

May 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Frogist: Perhaps "failing" is the wrong word, but I certainly don't think that there's anything implicit about existence that requires a "why." Is it natural to ask the question? Apparently, because nearly everyone has; but I also think that there may not be an answer to that question, and the insistence that there must be is presumptuous.

May 25, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  9. Justin

Some would say that the truth of the Bible is self-evident, regardless of what man says. For me, the Bible testifies for itself, because the Spirit bears witness of its truth–in a way that I can understand intimately.

To be honest though, this doesn't happen every time I crack open the book. Sometimes I just have to plow through.

Anyways, not even really covering what the article is about. The word "historical" sounds like code for "no God, no miraculous Jesus," but I'm totally speculating. If I catch it on tv, I'll check it out just to see what it has to offer.

May 25, 2011 at 11:07 am |
  10. Steve (the real one)

Steve (the real one)
    Do-over (Hey, Camping has one, whyt not me?)

The Further Adventures of No-No Bad Dog
    Most Christians will choose the "not watching it" option too.
    ---–
    1. You know this, how, No-No?
    2. I see Camping has a little compet-ition now!

May 25, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • ScottK

Lot's of Christians and non-Christians will jump everytime Camping cries "It's the end of the Wolf! er, World!!" The former because they are praying and hoping for that day to come because they believe they will get some prefered seating based on their conduct or skin color and the rest because they get to laugh at the next nutjob who predeicts the end of the world and then it doesn't happen.

May 25, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  11. Doc Vestibule

I think they might have a hard time getting Old Testament episodes past the censors given the infanticide, genocide, r.ape, incest, etc...

May 25, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • The Bobinator

Doc, come on. Why do you always have to rip on the old testament.

Listen, this is how it works. If it's in the old testament and it's good, it's generally taught in sunday school and people believe it. If it's bad, it's clearly being taken out of context, only applied to a specific set of people or is some sort of metaphor, even if it was once widely held as fact.

I mean, it's clear you don't understand the bible. A proper understanding of the bible only comes when you cherry pick the good parts and deny the bad parts. Even if the whole thing is the word of God or at least claims to be.

😛

May 25, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • Adelina

Both of you are wrong. Humans do all those because they don't heed what the Bible says.

May 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Adelina
      All of those things were done in the Old Testament by characters that were obeying the direct commands of God.
      How can it be ungodly to raze a town if God ordered you to do it?

May 25, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • civiloutside

I wonder if the portion on the Exodus will include the several times Pharoah attempted to set the Hebrews free, only to have god force him to take it back so there'd be an excuse to inflict more plagues. Or the time when god poisoned thousands of his own people for complaining about the lack of meat in their diet. Or maybe the time he set his own high priest's sons on fire because they offered him something he hadn't asked for. There's all kinds of gems in the Exodus story that just don't get the air time they deserve.

May 25, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Stevie7

I want to see some disobedient children getting stoned!

May 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Adelina

@Doc-, those tribes were like Sodomites whose sins were full. They had to be destroyed for safety of others and for the future generations. @Civil-, Pharaoh is like American atheists. More revelation of God is given, more hardened you became because your will is evil. But God is sovereign in the universe and human conspiricies won't work. Study correctly. Complaints like that of Israelites bring massive death and misery even today. It's a reality in life. Aaron's sons committed willful, inexecusable blasphemies. That's why America is being warned as well. Fire awaits those who blaspheme. @Stevie: Those children are national traitors who put the whole nation in danger. Those types get executions even today.

May 26, 2011 at 7:28 am |
  12. Steve (the real one)

May 25, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • The Further Adventures of No-No Bad Dog

Most Christians will choose the "not watching it" option too.

May 25, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Colin

Steve, I couldn't agree more. I am also sure you Christians will extend the same accomodation to art works you consider "blasphemous", to adult movies you do not approve of, to books you do not like and to minority $exual practices you don't like.

May 25, 2011 at 11:33 am |

Colin

-------–
      Well Colin,
      Christian accommodation really has nothing to do with it. All of what you mentioned has been around for more than centuries and will continue to be around for a while longer, whether I accomodate it or not! Speaking of accomodation, are you tellling me you are accomodating to the Christian point of view?

May 25, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> Dear atheists, the solution to your dilemna is quite easy. You don't have to watch it! Ain't America great? On the other hand I probably will watch and with a bible close by. Have a nice day!

I'll watch it. I love fantasy shows. I can't wait till God employs his needlessly complex plan to make Adam out of dirt and Eve out of Adam's rib when he created all matter out of nothing.

May 25, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • Colin

Real Steve. Don’t follow your logic. My point was, if Christians don’t like any of them, don’t participate/watch, but don’t try to stop others from doing so. Pretty much what you said. It cuts both ways.

As to my being accommodating of the Christian religion, I would never tell anybody they cannot believe it, but I sure as hell know it is Iron Age nonsense. I criticize it in the hopes of elevating at least some Christians out of their dark superst-itions.

May 25, 2011 at 1:13 pm |

Colin
      -------
      Sorry I disagree! You don't know. Rather, you hope it and believe it in the hopes it wil go away and that so then you will not have to be responsible for it Sorry Colin, you have been exposed to the truth. You will one day be held accountable for it. Criticize it if you will, it changes nothing, just hardens your heart even more!

May 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Steve (the real one): You don't know either. You hope it and believe it yadda yadda yadda...

May 25, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • ihaveabridgetosellyou

You can say the same for christians about abortions, if you don't like it don't get one, or gay marriage, if you don't like it don't marry one. But since christians poke their noses in everyone's business and try to dictate what we should do with our private lives, its only fair for the rest of to criticize your beliefs.

May 25, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  13. mb2010a

Which Bible??

May 25, 2011 at 10:26 am |
    • Mike, not me

The Holy Bible? Now if the McAbees will be part of it is a good question. What translation they are going to use is not a good question.

May 25, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  14. PraiseTheLard

I'll wait for the Looney Tunes version... (I can see Bugs Bunny on his way into Noah's arc saying to Daffy: Eh... what's up, duck?)

May 25, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  15. Normon

Survivor Palestine! (Out wit, Out last, Out PRAY)

Latest episode gets 'Touched by reality' and Jesus hear's the words: "You're Fired, the tribe has spoken!"

May 25, 2011 at 10:08 am |
    • Frogist

LOL@Normon!

May 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • The Bobinator

Host: Peter gets the immunity idol!
      Crowd: IDOL?!?!??
      Peter is stoned to death.

May 25, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Frogist

@Bobinator: LOL! Reminds me of Life of Brian. Jehovah! Jehovah!

May 25, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  16. The Further Adventures of No-No Bad Dog

It will be mind-bogglingly boring, just like the book it was based on.

May 25, 2011 at 10:07 am |
    • Stevie7

I wonder if they'll base an entire episode on all of the begetting the bible loves to list.

May 25, 2011 at 10:40 am |
  17. Fidei Coticula Crux

How We Got the Bible: Ten Key Points

1. The Bible is inspired by God (2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:20-21).

2. The Bible is made up of 66 different books that were written over 1600 years (from approximately 1500 BC to AD 100) by more than 40 kings, prophets, leaders, and followers of Jesus. The Old Testament has 39 books (written approximately 1500-400 BC). The New Testament has 27 books (written approximately AD45-100). The Hebrew Bible has the same text as the English Bible’s Old Testament, but divides and arranges it differently.

3. The Old Testament was written mainly in Hebrew, with some Aramaic. The New Testament was written in Greek.

4. The books of the Bible were collected and arranged and recognized as inspired sacred authority by councils of rabbis and councils of church leaders based on careful guidelines.

5. Before the printing press was invented, the Bible was copied by hand. The Bible was copied very accurately, in many cases by special scribes who developed intricate methods of counting words and letters to insure that no errors had been made.

6. The bible was the first book ever printed on the printing press with movable type (Gutenberg Press, 1455, Latin Bible).

7. There is much evidence that the Bible we have today is remarkably true to the original writings. Of the thousands of copies made by hand before 1500, more than 5,300 Greek manuscripts from the New Testament alone still exist today. The text of the Bible is better preserved than the writings of Plato or Aristotle.

8. The discovery of the Dead See Scrolls confirmed the astonishing reliability of some of the copies of the Old Testament made over the years. Although some spelling variations exists, no variation affects basic bible Doctrines.

9. As the Bible was carried to other countries, it was translated into common language of the people by scholars who wanted others to know God’s Word. Today there are still 2,000 groups with no Bible in their own language.

10. By AD 200, the bible was translated into seven languages; by 500, 13 languages; by 900, 17 languages; by 1400, 28 languages; by 1800, 57 languages; 1900, 537 languages; by 1980, 1,100 languages; by 2006, 2,426 languages have some portions of the Scripture.

Source: The World Christian Encyclopedia; Wycliffe, International.

May 25, 2011 at 10:00 am |
    • How to Yodel the New Testament in 10 Easy Lessons

The two most important points about the Bible:

1. It's a totally phony, man-made collection of bogus ancient supersti-tions.

2. It's incredibly boring, so much so that the vast majority of Christians have never gotten all the way through it.

May 25, 2011 at 10:16 am |
    • Fidei Coticula Crux

And yet it is still the most studied book in history.

May 25, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • claybigsby

just because it has been studied, doesnt mean that it is true.

May 25, 2011 at 10:43 am |
    • John Richardson

Given that it has been forced down the throats of literally billions of people, often when they were young, it's hardly a surprise that it's raw numbers re numbers in print, numbers owned, etc are still very high. Means nothing.

May 25, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • Quantum Gravitational Fluctuation

This cr-p again. Were you napping ? Remember we debunked all ten of these yesterday.

May 25, 2011 at 11:25 am |
    • Bucky Ball

I would bet that today, here, there are as many ongoing doctoral theses, (in the English Dept.), on Harry Potter, as there are in the Divinity School on biblical topics.

May 25, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • Chicken Little

It's also the most misquoted, misused and misunderstood, book in history.

May 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Fidei Coticula Crux

Sorry Quantum Gravitational Fluctuation,

I most have not been online when you posted your debunk… nor am I in the habit of casting the pearls before swine so they may trample them under their feet.

May 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Fidei Coticula Crux

@Chicken Little,

Yes! It is typically misquoted, misused and misunderstood by those that are not filled with the Holy Spirit.

May 25, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Stevie7

If someone interprets the bible differently than you do, than you can just say they aren't filled with the holy spirit. But the other person could just as easily say that about you. As with discussions about heresy – it just depends on which side you're on.

May 25, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • JohnR

Any book that requires you to be "filled witht he holy spirit" or any similar nuttiness to comprehend properly belongs on the shelf, collecting dust – which is precisely where most of them are.

May 25, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Holy Spirit? Is that related to Kosher Wine?

May 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • KingdomWork

That was comical, PraisetheLord! Kosher wine!!! LOL

May 25, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Fidei Coticula Crux

@Stevie7, I agree.

For every opinion or belief someone may hold, there will be another party who just as strongly oppose that idea. Both sides usually claim to sit with the best arguments, the real facts, and the correct world view; and, ironically both sides regard the other as being indoctrinated, blind to the obvious, and outright stupid. Most people only expose themselves to information that matches their own beliefs or worldview. It is typically uncomfortable to do otherwise. This is what is called Confirmation Bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) and it is just part of human nature.

So the question is: how do we get beyond this bias, to a point where, we can respect each other’s rights to have a different opinion, belief, or worldview?

May 25, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  18. Tallulah13

I stopped watching the History Channel because their 'history' too often is accounts of ghosts, big foot, UFOs and bible stories - all presented as fact. I wish there was a channel that showed actual history.

May 25, 2011 at 9:58 am |
    • ScottK

It's The OTOWMHITPH Channel – Thats right, The Our Take On What Might Have Happened In The Past Channel!

May 25, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  19. JohnQuest

To all you believers out there, just because you can make a movie about it doesn't make it any more real. Think Transformers!!!

May 25, 2011 at 9:47 am |
    • Jeremy

I pray for your soul. You should read the bible before you criticize it. Ignorance is bliss for most people when it comes to the bible

May 25, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • claybigsby

oh yeah Jeremy? I have read the bible, I was forced to in college. so i am not ignorant when it comes to the biblical writings. I believe that the book has value, however that doesnt make it true or the word of god. Just because man says they were influenced by god does not mean they were. Since when do you trust what another man says? Man is corrupt.

May 25, 2011 at 10:47 am |

claybigsby

-----
      Sorry Clay, I had to jump in here. You said: "Since when do you trust what another man says? Man is corrupt". Excellent point, Clay. Some mere men (and women) are also saying that the Bible is NOT the word of God and since man and women is so corrupt, I cannot trust the word of those who say the Bible is not the word of God. In example, JohnQuest is a man and he said the Bible is not true. Thanks to you I know that I cannot trust JohnQuest's word. Thanks for the assist! Enjoy your day, Sir!

May 25, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • JohnQuest

Jeremy, although I could have, I did not criticize the Christian Bible or any other Bible. I have read the Christian Bible, (that is why I am non-religious non-believer today).

May 25, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • John Richardson

Oh man, Steve, that was a lame attempt at turnabout. The whole point is that you can't ELEVATE the bible or any other "holy book" above anything else humans have written.

May 25, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • JohnQuest

If you come away with something else please let me know.

May 25, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • Stevie7

@JohnQuest – as I'm sure you know, organized religion relies and thrives on a lack of independent or skeptical thought. I certainly won't be holding my breath.

May 25, 2011 at 11:16 am |

John Richardson

---------
      Not funny? Not even a little bit? The point is God Himself has evaluated His word higher than His name. So, you are correct, I don't have to elevate it at all. BUT, I will do my best to live out the principles found it it and I will respect it! BTW not lame (IMHO)!

May 25, 2011 at 11:20 am |

JohnQuest
      Steve (the real one), you should not "trust" my word, go read it for yourself then decide if it can possibly be factual. I think after you read the Bible, you have to come away thinking that "thees are fascinating stories, some very good moral concepts, some very bad moral concepts, but overall nothing more than good folklore". If you come away with something else please let me know.
      ---------
      JohnQuest, How you are doing? As I am a Christian, I have read the bible (with the guidance of the Holy Spirit). I was never asked to fully understand it but simply believe it and I do. I have come away with much more than there is time to explain. You may ask, why do I believe in something I don't fully understand:

1. That is the very basis of faith.
      2. You believe in quantum physics? if so, can you fully explain/understand it?

May 25, 2011 at 11:27 am |
    • Stevie7

"2. You believe in quantum physics? if so, can you fully explain/understand it?"

As someone who has studied physics, one does not need to "believe" in anything. The evidence as such is quite concrete. As there is still much to be learned, no one fully understands it. Nor does anyone fully understand gravity. But one does not need to "believe" in gravity – one simply needs to drop something. Science does not deal in absolutes by its very nature.

May 25, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • JohnQuest

Steve (the real one), Thank you for asking, my family and I are dong well, I hope the same for you and your family. I agree with you, on the point that to believe in the Bible (and God) one has to suspend reason, proof and knowledge and just take on "Faith". I need more than that, I require more than "Faith" to believe in the guy fixing my computer or car or from my Dentist and Doctors. Why should except less from a Deity than my mechanic. If a mechanic told you that "I really can't prove to you that I know what I am doing but just have "Faith" that I can fix your wife's brakes" I think you will find another mechanic that can prove he or she know what they are doing.

May 25, 2011 at 11:41 am |

Steve (the real one)

John Richardson

---
      ------
      Sorry make that elevate and not evaluated His word!

May 25, 2011 at 11:42 am |

Stevie7

-------
      Fair enough! So you cannot fully explain nor understand quantum physics? Sounds like faith to me!

May 25, 2011 at 11:46 am |
    • Bucky Ball

@Jeremy
      Me too. I read it also. THAT'S precisely why I don't buy one word of it.

May 25, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • JohnQuest

Steve (the real one), it's not Faith to believe in gravity or quantum physics or that you love your children or that the sun can be seen in Spain. Those are observable and quantifiable, the belief in a Deity or the Bible are not and can not be tested, no more than the belief in Santa Claus be tested (but you probably don't have "Faith" that Santa is real). More to the point, you don't have have "Faith" that Santa is not real, you just don't believe he is real.

May 25, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • KingdomWork

If you don't believe in God/Jesus... it is because you were not born of God according to scripture.... which you don't believe anyway 🙂

May 25, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • Stevie7

Do you also have "faith" in gravity? If so, I think you greatly discredit the faith of most believers since such outlooks require evidence. I accept the theories of quantum mechanics as based upon theory and evidence. No one understands the underpinnings of why these behaviors occur. No faith here is required. You are either incorrect in your understanding of faith or your understanding of science.

May 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • Fordham Jock

@KingdomWork
      Right. I'm the spawn of the talking snake. Be afraid. Br very afraid.

May 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm |

Stevie7

--------

May 25, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> The very basis of faith is it requires no evidence. Thus no need for faith in gravity. I experience gravity everyday. Have you ever experienced quantum physics?

Perhaps a grounding in quantum physics/quantum mechanics would make you realize why your statement is so damn silly.

May 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • Stevie7

"I experience gravity everyday. Have you ever experienced quantum physics?"

Yes, quite a lot actually. I worked on quantum computing methods for sometime. An understanding of quantum mechanics is needed for low-level design of most modern day electronics. The computer your using to make this post was likely designed on the fundamentals of quantum mechanics. Just because you have no experience with it, doesn't mean it's not true.

May 25, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Steve, the real one

Hey -Steve...

When you say..."Have you ever experienced quantum physics" is (kinda') like saying have you ever 'experienced psychology.'

As -The Bobinator suggested you 'may' if you choose to, to do some 'study' of quantum physics.

Friendly suggestion...

Respectfully,

Peace...

May 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Steve, the real one

And... what -Stevie7 suggest is accurate as well.

Peace...

May 25, 2011 at 1:21 pm |

Stevie7

"I experience gravity everyday. Have you ever experienced quantum physics?"

-----
      Well one never knows until one asks. Yet I really like this: "Just because you have no experience with it, doesn't mean it's not true"

That is my very arguement to you concernering Christianity. BTW I never said QP was not true, I just asked it you experienced it. You however have determined that Christianity is not true. Please consider the words of one of my blogging buddies before you so easliy dismiss Christianity. He said these profound words:

"Just because you have no experience with it, doesn't mean it's not true".

May 25, 2011 at 1:29 pm |

The Bobinator
      ------–
      You may be right! Your option! You have every right to express it. Let me express mine. When you state how Christianity is for the weak, is false, and ridiculous, etc, my option is your option is far more silly than mine. I also believe a proper and SPIRITUAL grounding in God"s word will expose the silliness of your (non) beliefs.

May 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • KingdomWork

@Fordham Jock,
      Sssssscary snake! The devil can speak through those that aren't filled with the Spirit. How can we be scared of that which Christ has already defeated? Jesus crushed the serpent's head. Sorry if you weren't aware of that fact.

May 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm |

Peace2All
      And... what -Stevie7 suggest is accurate as well.
      Peace...
      ---
      Hey Peace, hope you are well. I never said QP does not exist, simply asked if it was experienced. Looks like the answer is yes. Kinda like me experiencing Christ Jesus. Sometimes you just have to ask. Now, did I ask with a purpose? Yes I did. I know nothing about QP much like many on this blog know nothing or understand wrongly about Christainity. It goes both ways!

May 25, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Stevie7

" "Just because you have no experience with it, doesn't mean it's not true"

That is my very arguement to you concernering Christianit"

I was a Catholic for most of my life. I thought that I 'experienced' god myself. I've studied catholicism and Christianity throughly – that's what has led me to my current outlook on life. I'll take quantum physics any day.

May 25, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Stevie7

" Jesus crushed the serpent's head. Sorry if you weren't aware of that fact."

-–

Fact? Is there any evidence of this supposed "fact"?

May 25, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Steve(the real one)

Hey -Steve...

You could be right, I suppose, but now I'm very curious as to how you can equate the things that are based on physics, math, etc... that all can be replicated, and on which we create things, etc... and our world on a macro and micro level is based on with... experiencing Christ Jesus...?

I would suggest they are at the very least 'not' on the same 'logical level' of comparison. One we can create literal 'tangible' things and know 'repeatable' 'effects', the other 'experiencing Christ Jesus...?

So, as always -Steve, I respect you... and... I am also suggesting that your 'comparison' of these 2 are on very different 'logical levels.'

Respectfully,

Peace...

May 25, 2011 at 1:55 pm |

Peace2All
      Hey -Steve...
      -----
      As always, you have my respect also Peace. You are correct Peace, when you say they are on 2 differing levels. One level is measurable and logical while based upon human wisdom. The other is Spiritual and based upon faith in to wisdom of God! Many believe one cancels out the other. I do not take that stand. As you say science is measureable, correct? Yet many elevate science to the exclusion of faith. I will use water as an example. Science tells us about the components of water. I have no reason to doubt that. Yet I also believe God created it. Why does one have to cancel out the other?

May 25, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • SideNote

"Science tells us about the components of water. I have no reason to doubt that. Yet I also believe God created it. Why does one have to cancel out the other?"

Just curious have you heard about the effects of emotions on water yet? A researcher named Dr. Masaru Emoto is scientifically proving that water carries and transmits emotions. He has also begun to build a case for why humans (who are more than 60% water) and the Earth (which is covered in 70%) are too affected by emotions, whether they be expressed or just thought. In his work he is encouraging people to guard not only their actions, but to be more reserved in their thoughts, as these too create positive and negative reactions.

Interesting stuff.

May 25, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • KingdomWork

"But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.- Jesus is the Living Water

May 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm |

SideNote
      -------
      New to me but none the less interesting! Too early in the process to believe it or not. Thanks for the info!
      Interesting stuff.

May 25, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Steve (the real one)

Hey -Steve...

I'm not saying that "one must cancel out the other," I'm just saying that they are on 2 different levels.

Peace...

May 25, 2011 at 2:36 pm |

Peace2All

@Steve (the real one)

Hey -Steve...

Peace...
      ------
      Based upon what I have read on this blog Atheists do seem to believe science cancels out faith. If it is not measureable it is not real. That (IMO) is te view for most if not all atheists on this blog. If I am wrong, I apologize but I really don't think I am. I I do agree with you they are on 2 different levels.

May 25, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Faith is a terrible reason for believing in anything. Listen to what Matt Dillahunty says to a theist caller who questions him on faith.

May 25, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> Based upon what I have read on this blog Atheists do seem to believe science cancels out faith. If it is not measureable it is not real.

Wow, given how much you've talked to us and given that I've explained this to you several times, I don't know how you could reach the wrong conclusion so many times in a row.

The logical position for any claim is to disbelieve pending evidence. Faith isn't evidence. There exists no evidence for God. Therefore I disbelieve in God.

That make it clearer?

May 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Fordham Jock

@KingdomWalk,
      Well, then I guess it's all a done deal. right ? I do wonder why it seems to still be up for discussion, if he already took care of it all, and why, in the chapel here, they still keep trying to make it work, over and over.

May 25, 2011 at 4:28 pm |

That make it clearer?
      ------–
      Sure, You canceled out faith, just like I said earlier

May 25, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Steve(the real one)

Hey again, Steve...

You Said: "Based upon what I have read on this blog Atheists do seem to believe science cancels out faith. If it is not measureable it is not real. That (IMO) is the view for most if not all atheists on this blog. If I am wrong, I apologize but I really don't think I am."

Let me say again, "I" did 'not' say they cancel each other out. Nor, do 'all' Atheists necessarily say that. So, please don't assume that I am speaking for everyone else. They can all speak for themselves. Just like I do my best to take each 'believer' and treat them separately as best I can.

I said they are 2 separate issues that are on different 'logical levels.' And, you said..." I agree with you. "

I believe that you know my 'opinion' on these cosmological issues in general. I have said them hundreds, if not thousands of times on this 'blog.'

My, pretty much one thing that I usually challenge someone on is when a believer tries to claim (their) particular (faith) as the (real one)–doesn't matter to me... it could be Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc... and attempt to claim their (belief/faith)= Absolute Fact.

The best you can get here is that you...MAY... be right. And... you MAY be wrong. Just because you believe something, especially something that is not proven/tangible/measurable (claiming yet there 'is' a God, or that Jesus is coming back to destroy the non-believers and throw them into eternal torment called hell, and whisk all the believer christians into eternal heaven)...does not make it so.

That's it, my friend. I respect you and your right to believe, while at the same time, I without question, 'do not' share your same beliefs.

Respectfully,

Peace...

May 25, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  20. gozer

mostly fiction, with some trivial history anchors thrown in to make it slightly less obviously fiction.

May 25, 2011 at 9:45 am |
    • Stevie7

"Explain to me how ideas changing to fit new information is a bad thing?"

Because then you'd have to admit you're wrong

May 25, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Stevie7

I don't know how the above comment got posted here, but this was in reply to The Bobinator in CW's comment above

May 25, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> Because then you'd have to admit you're wrong

And? Why is it a bad thing that we make conclusions based on the best information we have at the time. If we were worried about "being wrong" we would never make any conclusions and have to wait for "perfect knowledge' to make conclusions on anything.

That's not practical.

So what we do as people is try to arrive at the best conclusion supported by evidence. If the evidence is misinterpreted or if the evidence is misleading, that's the way the cookie crumbles. When it's discovered, our knowledge of the world is updated.

It's by figuring out that we're wrong that we progress in knowledge. Not by hiding from new information and change.

May 25, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Stevie7

@The Bobinator – I'm in total agreement with you. My comment was mostly sarcastic – that in spite of overwhelming evidence, some people cling to their preconceived notions because to admit they are wrong would be too painful.

May 25, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • The Bobinator

Gotcha. I thought it was good to explain it anyways, for people who aren't familiar with such ideas. 😛

May 25, 2011 at 1:07 pm |