home
RSS
Oprah says God behind success of show
Oprah Winfrey, seen in this file photo, told her audience in her final show that God had led her life, even when she didn't realize it.
May 25th, 2011

Oprah says God behind success of show

By Steve Almasy, CNN

(CNN) - Oprah Winfrey closed her sentimental final show with the words, "I won’t say goodbye, I’ll just say until we meet again."

Then, after a subtle pause, she added, "To God be the glory.”

With her work done, she walked through the audience and left the set of her talk show. During the show's 25-year run, she interviewed more than 30,000 people and won more than 40 Emmys. The credits rolled as she walked the hallways of the Harpo complex, saying goodbye to her staff.

She has been one of the most influential people in America, if not the world. Commentators looked at the power she held over her audience, and some people even likened her viewers to members of a cult.

Winfrey professed her faith and her belief in God, but over the course of the show, some observers saw her more as a spiritual person than a Christian.

In her last show, Winfrey took several minutes to speak to her belief that God - and her staff - were behind the show's success.

"People often ask me what is the secret to the success of the show," she said. "How have we lasted 25 years. I non-jokingly say, my team - and Jesus."

It was a remark that drew applause from the studio audience but also may make Christian commentators take notice.

Kathryn Lofton, who has watched more than 2,500 episodes of the show, said she had recorded the finale and would watch it later tonight. But her friends were texting her about the episode.

Lofton, a professor of U.S. religious history at Yale University and the author of "Oprah: The Gospel of an Icon," was intrigued that Winfrey had mentioned Jesus, since she had used his name sparingly on air.

"Early on (in her career) she was more comfortable in saying that but over time began to use this more universal language of 'spirit,'" said Lofton, who wrote about Oprah's final show for CNN's Belief Blog.

Lofton says Winfrey wants to be viewed as someone who "translates and understands herself as a Christian woman" but reflects a modern attitude about religion and religious institutions.

And that has angered a few folks.

In 2008, Winfrey endorsed the book "A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose," helping it sell more than 3.5 million copies after the talk-show host selected it for her book club. Winfrey and the book's author, Eckhart Tolle, took part in a webinar in which she angered some Christians by saying that Jesus didn't come to die on the cross.

"It really was about him coming to show us how to do it, how to be, to show us the Christ-consciousness that he had and that that consciousness abides with all of us," she told the audience.

One viewer even asked the question on the Oprah.com message boards: Is Oprah a Christian?

Pistis07 wrote: "I was surprised because I had always thought she was a Christian but after flicking through her website and watching clips of more shows where she seems to be promoting a type of New Age religion and books from 'New Age spiritualists,' I really doubt that she is a Christian in the way Jesus explained and most Christians understand. Or perhaps she's just confused about the nature of God."

It was an issue her critics seized on. They said she wasn't promoting the God of the Bible but instead was indoctrinating her audience into a New Age spiritualism.

Authors Josh McDowell and Dave Sterrett say as much in their book, "'O' God: A Dialogue on Truth and Oprah's Spirituality." Sterrett told Crosswalk.com in October 2009 that Winfrey "reflects the common American practice of choosing whatever beliefs seem most attractive and leaving the rest."

Her message in the final years of her show was that the truth of life was within the individual, several commentators have said.

"Christians aren't people who have gotten in touch with their inner selves, but those who actually have Christ living inside of them through the Holy Spirit," McDowell told Crosswalk.

What Winfrey tried to get across is her belief that there wasn't just one right way to be connected to God, Lofton argues.

"The only right way is the way that she herself articulates and embodies, which is multiplicity," she said. "You can be many things. There are many paths to God, she says. It's that multiplicity which very much marks contemporary religious life."

Winfrey wanted to make sure that everyone knew she wasn't being ambiguous about her faith. In her final show, she spoke of how God has always been there, a voice whispering. And that her faith, while it might seem different than the one taught in religious institutions, was at its roots the same: It all centers on one thing.

"Nothing but the hand of God has made this possible for me," she said. "For all of you who get riled up when I mention God and you want to know which God I'm talking about, I'm talking about the same one you're talking about. I'm talking about the Alpha and the Omega. The omniscient. The omnipresent. The ultimate consciousness. The source, the force, the all of everything there is. The one and only, G-O-D. That's the one I'm talkin' about."

- Producer/Writer

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • God • Jesus • TV

1. delano j sheffield

@SCOTO

Very interesting. We equate success with status. And look at the first 300 years after Christian body of believers and you get quotes like "the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church."

Perhaps we need to revisit the truth we are believing in.

holdtotruth.com

May 26, 2011 at 10:53 am |
  2. No Oprah, No

When you are very lucky and successful, and you say "Jesus" was the reason for your wealth and fame, do you ever wonder how the rest of the 99.9 percent of faithful christians whos prayers do not get answered? What makes you special? Are you more favorable to your god than the rest of his followers? What about the man who loses everything and cant catch a break, yet prays for a small bit of luck or comfort that never comes? It wasnt Jesus or god you egomaniacal snake oil salesman.

May 26, 2011 at 10:50 am |
    • skomalley

It's called spirtual vanity.

May 26, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Just_a_lil_voice

Matthew 5
      45. That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

May 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • sasadfe

All prayers are answered. sometimes the answer is "no"

May 26, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
  3. tom

Remember, Jesus Sells, and Oprah makes a ton of money.

I find it interesting that Jesus would choose to make Oprah a millionaire, while a poor child is locked in a cage and beaten to death by his parents. It's easy to hear Jesus when everything is going right for you. When everything goes wrong there seems to be deafening silence.

May 26, 2011 at 10:50 am |
    • russ

great point

May 26, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • daoudayoub

I find it ironic, how when a question such as yours is asked (I ask the same thing myself) that there are no Christian replies. Smothered under all that faith there is always a measure of doubt.

May 27, 2011 at 5:10 am |
  4. kells

its a pity n a shame and foolish how athiest still believe that there is no GOD
    GOD still loves you.

May 26, 2011 at 10:50 am |
    • George

You're delusional.

May 26, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • Bryan T

"its (sic) a pity n a shame and foolish how athiest(s) still believe that there is no GOD"

So, Kells, please tell me how I can suddenly start to believe in something that every brain cell tells me is illogical?
      Is it really my fault, or foolishness?

May 26, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  5. ChooseWisely

Just keep in mind that the "world" will enter through the wide gate – (i.e. everyone else is doing this or that, why shouldn't I?") – the narrow gate is the path that few will enter into – because the majority of the world is "of" this world.

There is no fellowship or friendship in hell, folks. Only eternal damnation and torment.

May 26, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • George

There is no heaven or hell only delusional people clinging to a fairy tale.

May 26, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • daoudayoub

Question for you. If God so loved the world, why is sending the majority of it to hell? Please, do not give the same old tired answer of "we send ourselves to hell". Remember it was God who put the serpent and the tree in the garden. Seems like entrapment to me.

May 27, 2011 at 5:19 am |
  6. Denver Morgan

I dont see how she can say Jesus is behind her succsess when she called him a liar by denying the very words that he said!

May 26, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  7. Siesta Beach

Oprah seems like a nice person. I have watched a couple of minutes of a few shows over the years. I can take or leave her. Let's get on with important topics in America.......enough Oprah stuff !!

May 26, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  8. stevie68a

christianity has been ruined by the christians themselves. Preachers scamming the ignorant, hate in their teachings, etc.
    A clear understanding of this can be observed by watching muslims shout their hate in God's name. Religion will not save
    the world, it will destroy it.

May 26, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • James

Don't let the religious people deny you of faith....Jesus spoke often about his dislike of the Pharisees (religious people)....you can't lump all Christians into a stereotype based on bad experiences you may have had – that's called prejudice..

May 26, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • sasadfe

Over 400,000 churches in the U.S. alone and you're saying they're all bad? Talk about stereotyping.

May 26, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
  9. Dave Chappelle strikes back

Oprah, like many of our most powerful [s]elected government officials, is a student of the ancient mystery schools, as is easily seen in all of her new-age type spirituality talk Any alluding to Christ that these people do, especially the politicians, serves only to play to their ignorant fan-base and muster more support.

You think these people got to where they are by asking 'God' to better their lives? Please, they sold themselves to an earthly power long ago.

May 26, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  10. SCOTO

Jesus makes people billionaires? Another example of this warped Christianity that is uniquely America, focused on money and material gain

May 26, 2011 at 10:41 am |
    • DAB

Who said that? I did'nt read anywhere that her goal as a Christian was to be a billionaire.

May 26, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • James

You're warped if you believe all Christians believe in the prosperity gospel – it's actually a very small percentage! It's dangerous when you lump a whole group of people into categories...it's called prejudice and I would hope that we've learned how ignorant that can be!

May 26, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  11. GE

It takes a miserable human being to examine someone's personal faith...can you all get a life...especially you athiests you don't even know God how in the blue hell can you tell someone that believes and confesses the name of Jesus about their faith?

May 26, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • George

The same way that you can deride someone for not believing in your fairy tale. What's good for the goose is good for the gander or are you a hypocrite?

May 26, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
    • GE

Takes one to know one there Gerogey...nice try though buddy you stay miserable I will continue to live in my "fairy tale" its the best and safest place to live in.

May 26, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Eliza79

@GE – I really like that quote. "It takes a miserable human being to examine someone's personal faith." That really speaks to me and I have certainly been guilty of examining and even judging others' personal faith. I even recently had an argument with a man who announced that he was a Christian as often as he could, but had barely read the Bible. He truly knew nothing about the words of Jesus and could only quote, "an eye for an eye." But in hindsight, why should that bother me? Shortly after I remembered that Jesus had questioned those who "noticed a speck of dust in their brother's eye, but not the log in their own." Anyway, thank you for the quote. Oprah can believe whatever she wants to. I need to get my own house in order. : )

May 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  12. ISITME?

I am so with you Oprah, He leads mine also. Hope he lets us meet one day!

May 26, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  13. Peggy

When will Christians realize that as human beings they are spiritual BEFORE they choose to identify themselves as Christian? And a spiritual morality is bigger than the religion Christianity. (Jesus was Jewish, remember). Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Jewish are subsets of humanity and "ways" to practice inherent spiriutality. When does this little thinking end? Christians are not living the truth of Christ if they are not being spiritually loving human beings.

May 26, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • Dave Chappelle strikes back

It's called divide and conquer. Conflict is profitable, and there is no potentially greater divide than religion, so it pays to keep people from seeing all the commonalities and instead look upon one another as enemies. Just think Nimrod of Babylon.

May 26, 2011 at 10:53 am |
  14. ElPerrazo

Criticizing Oprah's interpretation of God is a bit like the Tooth Fairy saying the Santa Claus does not exist. When, as a species, will we start believing in ourselves.

May 26, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • Lee

hazaaah

May 26, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • Guest

When you can control the phenomena of the heavens and earth, and the birth and death of every living soul on planet earth, then I will start believing in you.

May 26, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • chef dugan

God my fanny! If she were not black she wouldn't have lasted two months. Can't fault her money making abilities though, just that she chooses to spend it in another country. Were not good enough for you lady?

May 26, 2011 at 10:43 am |
    • ElPerrazo

I don't think "God" had any more to do with Oprah's success than being a black woman. Oprah had an unusual ability to connect with people and although I didn't agree with all of her opinions her overall impact was, and is, indisputably positive. My earlier point may have been misinterpreted by some. Our "God" is no more real or valid than Zues or the Sun God. Our species has a long tradition of creating gods to answer that which we do not understand. This Universe is far more complicated than common understanding and life on this little obscure planet is very fragile. We need to unite as a species (for selfish reasons of long-term survival) and realize that our obsession with religion is a risk to that very survival.

May 26, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
  15. Kelly

I can see from the messages that there will be a lot of non-believers. As a Christian, I can only pray that you will see the light and come to accept God through Jesus before you die. If not, you will be CONDEMNED to an eternity of torment (Hell). Deep down, you know that there is a God that is why you fight so hard to refute him. As Christians, we know that he is real. It does not have to proven to us. By accepting him, you will experience peace beyond all understanding. It is hard to explain. Life is not designed to be easy and everyone will have challenges, trials and tribulations on Earth, but Christians will have an afterlife of peace and happiness. If you are right, you will simply die and that is it. If Christians are right, you will be banished to Hell for ever where you will experience your worst fears, pain, and torture.

May 26, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • Lee

Let me guess, born again?

May 26, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • Colin

This whole "believe or burn" nonsense is actually one of the sillier Christian superst-itions. Think it through. You don’t have to kill, you don’t have to steal, you don’t even have to litter. All you have to do is refuse to believe in the Christian god and he will inflict a punishment on you an infinite times worse than the death penalty….and he loves you.

Even when they created god in their own image, they couldn't get it right.

May 26, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • Larry L

Kelly your faith is based on theology totally unfounded in fact and mythology created by men to gain control of people. It seems to have worked in your case. People pray every day and outcomes are really never changed. God gets credit for the good but not the bad. If he created Hell to send people who don't submit to his control, he would be the most vicious being to ever exist. The image you worship speaks of love but threatens torture and perpetual pain if he's not accepted. It's a myth Kelly – and you're wasting your life worrying about it.

May 26, 2011 at 10:43 am |
    • myweightinwords

Hi Kelly,

I am not a "non-believer", but neither am I a Christian. I was, once. And it was not a time of peace in my life. It was a very dark period for me. It wasn't until I left the religion and spent time learning to love myself as I was that I found the peace you speak of.

Faith is a wonderful thing when it sustains us, when it gives us hope...but when that faith traps us in dogma and keeps us from seeing the light in those around us, it suffocates and turns us hard.

May 26, 2011 at 10:54 am |
    • created, not evovolved

Kelley...well said and ill meet you when i get there
      Lee...let me guess...you're not!! (i'll add you to my list then)

May 26, 2011 at 10:56 am |
    • tealamps

You, are not any better than the rest of us. You do not scare me. I am not afraid of the dark.

May 26, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • ElPerrazo

I have to agree with Larry and Colin. The mythological God has the fingerprints of man (defined as the ruling class) all over him (not her). Some little child in the Amazon who does not come to "know" God and accept Jesus is destined for hell? Women must go home and consult with their husbands for knowledge. You need to wear a head to toe Burka in sweltering heat to protect your modesty? Kill those who don't agree with us or conform to our family values (applies equally to Christians and Muslims alike)? Sorry, I believe in humans, not mythology.

May 26, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • Patricksday

This is why People are turned off by religion. We are tired of having the door slammed in our faces by "Christians" because by possesed obsessed "Christians", your future will be like that of the Taliban fanatics who will kill for Jesus. Its usually the ones who have flipped out because they had an abortion, or stole, or killed or did something so horrifying you think God will reject you unless you go full force on the "Christian Recruitment program". You dont Love anyone who you think is not Christian because your terrified of them, because they do things different from you in the South. Keep your own porch swept off and let people live their lives.

May 26, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • created, not evolved

tealamps...you haven't experienced 'darkness' like eternal darkness and I pray you never do...unfortunately, many people mock GOD and they'll find out HE exists when it's too late for them...'we' Christians don't think we're better than anyone, we're just confident in where we're goin when we die...do you know where you're going when you die??

May 26, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
    • DenverGrl

Kelly, what about all of the people before the time of Jesus? I know you're going to say that was the time of the Law. I'm a Jew.. I know all about that. I'm talking about the people that didn't even know that Jews existed, like Native Americans, Aboriginals of Australia, etc? Are they in hell? The forefathers of your faith, Paul being the most influential, took the idea of hell from the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans and combined it with the faith he created.

May 26, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • created, not evolved

DenverGrl...all those people that lived before JESUS were judged according to the Law cuz it was GOD's set law...JESUS dying for me, and him, and her, and yes, even you, removed the Law and rewrote it...I didn't realize that Austalia existed back then, but ALL ears will hear and when the Rapture happens and those that haven't heard will hear and they will have to endure the tribulation and decide...you said "I'm a Jew...I know all about that', yet when your Messiah comes, how will you know him and convince others he is the messiah if you dont realize that JESUS was here already!!!

May 26, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
  16. Lee

Funny, I could have swore it was the bribing people with free swag. Get a roomful of idiots excited over nothing and more are sure follow in droves.. But thats just me.

May 26, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  17. Your Delusional

Why do people have to thank god first? He is not responsible for anything in thier lives. When will people understand that there is not someone watching over thier pityful lives every minute of everyday. No one is leading them down the correct path in life! No one is listening to thier sorrowful pleas! No one but them selves are responsible for the way thier lives turn out! It's all destiny, a true flip of they coin! If you need god to lean on or thank for every thing in life then you have some very serious problems!

May 26, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • Ken Redeker

I agree. I have never relied on a god to solve my problems. When things go well in my life, I don't thank god. I thank myself for making good decisions. I have had some enormous problems in my life, and I don't look to god for guidance, I try to decide what is the best path for myself, and what I need to change in my life when things go wrong.

May 26, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • chef dugan

I agree that is the real case, but then what would all those ignorant people do with their spare time?

May 26, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • kells

your delusional – this simply describes your personality has foolish and confused.
      All you Athiest you too blind to see and you actually think your soo smart. there is GOD and you can't change that FACT.

May 26, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • Nedu

Jason,
      How do you know the life your living is yours? How did it become yours? In fact, on what grounds, do you have the right to claim your life? I am just curious, why do think you deserve the right to say your life belongs to you? In the least, may be it belongs to your father and mother.

May 26, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • Jerry A

How do you know that to be true?

May 26, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  18. Jason

If God really is the source of her success, then why do most tornadoes happen in the Bible belt? We have had hundreds of people killed. Since the majority of the USA is Christian, the majority of those killed in the tornadoes are undoubtedly "good Christian people." I guess God didn't care about their success. Praising God for your success is like saying God is also responsible for the outcome of sporting events. Both teams pray for victory, and only one gets it. If God was responsible for Oprah, the Bible belt should be full of billionaires.

May 26, 2011 at 10:26 am |
    • Lee

I dont believe in god, but if there is one thats just his way of telling those people to shove it. I am from the bible belt btw.

May 26, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • Ryan

Have you considered that it might not be God that is responsible for the tornadoes? John 10:10 says "The thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy. I have that they may have life and life more abundantly."

May 26, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • Rich

Jason,
      Bad things can happen to anyone, and we don't have to understand why. I can promise you though that many will come to God through this tragedy. I believe that is the ultimate plan, but no one knows.

Money, status, and sensuality can never completely satisfy. To say more biilionaires would live in the Bible belt completely contradicts what Jesus says really matters- loving each other and saving souls. You also say God doesn't care about the success of those affected by the tornados. I would say he doesn't care about their "success" as the world defines it, but he will provide for them. Have you noticed that that those less "successfull" as the world measures it are typically more reliant on God? Sometimes a heart has to be broken and hit rock bottom in order to realize you can't go through life without HIM.

May 26, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • Davis

Tornadoes hit in the lower half of the country because the weather is right for it. It has nothing to do with God or people religion. You cannot say that a good majority of the people were killed are Christians. If it were God doing than it would not matter if the person were a Christian or Atheist. If you are, a non-believer than go on by your way of life and let those who believe in God does the same.

May 26, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • Adam

I think God could care less who wins a ball game. Also, I seriously doubt that most of America is Christian. You can watch TV for about 15 minutes on any channel and realize that. I think they get a warm and fuzzy when they say they're "good Christians". God didn't call believers to be good christians. He called them to be Holy and set apart. Yea, I live in the bible belt but there are as many lost people here as up North. God allows lot of things to happen for a reason, mainly so that we can turn our eyes back on him.

May 26, 2011 at 10:58 am |
  19. Sheri

Some of these comments are ______. The Lord, Jesus Christ has blessed the lady Oprah all these years. She is who she is.

May 26, 2011 at 10:26 am |
  20. kjoe34

Calling God a "consciousness" or "force" is showing how she does not really know the one true living God, who is Jesus Christ. Oprah has created a god (false idol) to suit her needs. She apparently is not trusting in the God of the Bible.

May 26, 2011 at 10:22 am |
    • Aezel

Okay, prove it. No not quoting the Bible, which is just a collection of folklore nonsense that anyone could have written. If you are going to sit here and tell us you know what IS right and she is wrong, you had better have some proof.

The thing is, you won't be able to provide it. Her standpoint and yours both have an equal amount of validity because they both have the exact same amount of evidence to back them up, which is zero.

May 26, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • HamsterDancer

She says that becasue she has one of the highest midichlorian counts on earth!

"Powerful jedi is she! Powerful jedi!"

May 26, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • Ryan in Michigan

Aezel – Asking us to prove that God is real without using the Bible is like asking you to prove that Evolution is real only using viable scientific facts – there aren't any. Carbon dating was proven to be innacurate back in the 1970s, nobody has observed the process of Evolution (which is still a Theory, not a Law like observable laws such as Gravity and Thermodynamics), there have been no fossils of intermediate species showing gradual change (Archaeopteryx was a separate species, much like bats are from birds, not an evolutionary step. Also note there's nothing before or after Archaeopteryx that would show the previous or next evolutionary step, there's no fossil evidence for the change from monkey to man (nearly every one from Nebraska Man to Piltdown Man has been provena a hoax), and to top it off, there's evidence of humans and dinosaurs coexisting, such as footprints of both in the same layer of strada in the ground. So, basically, you have zero evidence as well to prove us wrong and yourself right.

May 26, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • HamsterDancer

To Ryan in Michigan,
      Evolution has been proven multiple times in multiple ways over the past 100 years. by the reliable scientific method. The so called inaccuracies you are speaking of are the ones that creationist advocates have been pushing over and over again.
      Evolution is called a theory but is a scientific fact. The rersaon it is refered to as theory is that after Einstein added additional proven material to gravity and motion it was better to use the term "theory" instead of Law for scientific work.

May 26, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • Ryan in Michigan

@HamsterDancer – Your are in error with your facts, or fallicies, as they should be called. Evolution has never been proven and, based on current evidence, cannot be. Also, you claim the inaccuracies as being creationist propoganda, yet it was evolutionary scientiests who found the inaccuracies adn are now looking for another method of dating. Evolution is called a theory because it is just that: a theory, formed by one Charles Darwin in the 1800s because he saw some similarities between animals. Guess what, apples and oranges are both round, but they're different fruit. Also, as to your last comment, if you checked actual historical quotes, you would find that Albert Einstein (a historical figure I very much look up to) believed in God and denounced Evolution as man's fallacy. Darwin even denounced his own theory, saying there was no way it could work.

May 26, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • HamsterDancer

@ Ryan in Mich
      Yes, I've heard of the story that Darwin denounced evolution to a woman by the name of Lady Hope but it is simply not true according to his chief biographer and Darwin's own daughter Henrietta Litchfield:

"I was present at his deathbed. Lady Hope was not present during his last illness, or any illness. I believe he never even saw her, but in any case she had no influence over him in any department of thought or belief. He never recanted any of his scientific views, either then or earlier… The whole story has no foundation whatever."

I was also going to provide numerous links to all the scientific evidence that refutes all the creations objections but they where simply too numerous. I understand those who read the Bible in the fundamentalist, literal way will never accept the scientific evidence anyway. I have personally seen no contradiction in belief in a God and evolution and have never understood why some feel they conflict. Science doesn't say there is no God. Some scientist do but science itself simply can't analyze a Supreme Being by its methods of repeatable experimentation and observation. So , if you wish, you can say God created the laws of physics that caused life to generate and evolve.
      It just seems strange that a person will 100% believe in the science that microwaves his dinner, makes his car go, keep him alive with various medicines, or discovers evidence at a crime scene that leads to a murderer but will suddenly think all that science stops working right when it gets to how life began.

May 26, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Ryan in Michigan

@Hamster – It would be difficult for his daughter to record his deathbed actions, considering the very reason he gave up his pursuit of a relationship with God (Charles Darwin was training to be a clergyman) was that his daughter died. Darwin didn't understand why a loving, caring God would allow suffering and death, so he recanted his faith and became an Atheist. It wasn't until later on, while on his famous trip aboard the HMS Beagle, he noticed similarities and differences in species at the Galapagos Islands in the Pacific Ocean and came up with the Theory of Evolution. Later in life, he said there were so many errors in his theory that there was no possible way it could be true. He never became a Christian again, but he did say his theory was baseless.
      On a different note, I suspect you couldn't post the links because they were either too radical for even you to believe, or you really couldn't find them anyway. I, however, will point you in the direction of some leads. Check the websites such for magazines such as Answers in Genesis, Creation Magazine, and their founder, Ken Ham. If you're more into literature, try reading "Darwin's Black Box" by Michael Behe (an Atheist, by the way) and "Case for Christ" and "Case for Faith" (can't remember the author).
      Also, as a Christian and a Creationist, I never once stated that I didn't believe in science. I fully read and comprehend scientific articles about biology, chemistry, physics, and even scientific theories such as Evolution. I believe in scientific facts, and I completely agree with your statement that "science itself simply can't analyze a Supreme Being by methods of repeateable experimentation and observation." I believe you are 100% dead-on with that statement.
      In finishing, I also find it strange that a being who can see the complexity of the design in things such as the human eye, the process of photosynthesis, or the way the weather works here and even on other planets can fail to see that pure, random chance couldn't possibly have brought this about. When you look at a painting, you know there was a painter. The colors didn't create themselves and jump onto the canvas; someone had to put them there. God is the Artist, and the universe is his canvas.

May 26, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • HamsterDancer

@ Ryan,
      The daughter you are thinking of was Anne and died at the age of 10 of tuberculosis. Henrietta (the one I quoted ) lived to 86.

As for the links, here are just a few:

Part of my reluctance to post them before was that there tends to be a meanness in the argument between Evolution & Creationism that I think is unnecessary and some of these sites (and particularly Richard Dawkins in the video) have this. It doesn't mean either side is more right or wrong but it doesn't help a civil disagreement.

We are agreeing on the study of God. The scientific method provides for verifiable data that anyone anywhere of any faith (or lack of) can do and observe the same effects. At this time, no one can study the existence of a diety. It doesn't say there isn't one but it cannot be proved or disproved by science. This would be something a human being can choose to as a matter of faith, which I have no problem with.
      Many harsh atheists like to attack believers on this point but I am of a mind that humans live in the split brain of rational and non-rational. Now I don't mean irrational like a screaming child, but some parts of humanity work and need to see the word in a way that doesn't add exactly up with numbers. Love, for instance, and a desire for a belief in a higher power. If what they come up with does no one harm (unfortunately, somehow it often does) and makes the world run better for them, it doesn't bother me.
      The scientific evidence shows how the world got here: Big Bang, evolution, etc. Whether one chooses to look at it as a natural result of laws of nature or you see them as orchestrated by an Infinite Artist, I feel is up to the individual.
      Gotta go now. No, not because I think I'm losing. But because I've got to get back to work. A supreme being may not care if I get the job done and science won't care at all, but my boss sure does!

May 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm |