home
RSS
Is America ready for a Mormon president?
Mitt Romney announcing his presidential candidacy in New Hampshire on Thursday.
June 2nd, 2011

Is America ready for a Mormon president?

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Mitt Romney’s campaign team knows that his Mormon faith scared off Republican voters the last time he ran for president.

But they believe a lot has changed in the last four years.

For starters, Romney is now much better known. The former Massachusetts governor campaigned hard in the 2008 primaries – even addressing his Mormonism head-on in a major speech — and has stayed in the public eye since, popping up on late-night talk shows and on cable news channels.

Romney’s Mormonism, the thinking goes, is less exotic than it was four years ago because the candidate is more familiar.

Plus, unlike in 2008, there’s a Democrat in the White House for Republican voters to unite against. The Romney camp hopes the Obama factor will boost support for a battle-tested candidate who’s shown he can raise the hundreds of millions of dollars White House bids require, regardless of the candidate’s religious affiliation.

And unlike the 2008 Republican primaries, when George W. Bush was in the White House and debate over the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan loomed large, next year’s elections are poised to hang on the economy. Not a bad time, maybe, for a guy with a Harvard MBA and a career spent turning around financially troubled companies and the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah.

“The country’s really in a tough situation — the economy’s in a bad place and so people suddenly think that a guy with Mitt Romney’s capacity and experience looks a lot more attractive than he did four years ago,” says Mark DeMoss, a senior adviser to Romney’s campaign, which launched Thursday.

“That makes his faith much less of an issue than it was four years ago,” says DeMoss, who is tasked with helping Romney woo evangelical voters, a huge chunk of the GOP base and a constituency that’s historically been wary of Mormonism.

Whether DeMoss is right may make the difference in whether Romney, the current Republican frontrunner based on polls and fundraising, can actually win the Republican nomination and, ultimately, the White House.

But Romney may not be the only Mormon running for president. Former Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman is seriously flirting with a presidential bid.

Huntsman, Obama’s former ambassador to China, recently took a five-day swing through New Hampshire, site of the first-in-the-nation Republican primary, and has hired staff in South Carolina, another key primary state.

The prospect of a Huntsman campaign means the nation could see an unprecedented test of whether the GOP — and, perhaps, the rest of the country — is ready for a Mormon president in an era when candidates’ religious beliefs have become weighty campaign issues.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as the Mormon Church is officially known, certainly seems eager for Mormonism to be less an issue in the presidential race than it was for Romney in 2008

“Recent media coverage seems to lean toward the conclusion that among many Americans, faith will be less of an issue in this election than it was in 2008,” church spokesman Michael Purdy said in a statement to CNN. “But it’s really for others to speculate on this.”

Public opinion polls suggest a lingering bias against Mormon candidates. A survey released Thursday by the Pew Research Center found that a quarter of American adults admit to being less likely to vote for a Mormon candidate for president.

The survey found that resistance to Mormon candidates was even higher among two groups: liberal Democrats and evangelicals, who overwhelmingly vote Republican. One in three white evangelicals said they were less likely to support a Mormon candidate.

That creates a stiff headwind for Romney and Huntsman, given evangelicals’ primary power. In 2008, evangelicals accounted for 60 percent of Republican voters in Iowa, home to the first-in-the-nation presidential caucuses, and in South Carolina, whose primaries come hard on the heels of New Hampshire’s.

In 2008, Romney’s Mormonism “was a real factor in Iowa and South Carolina that predisposed many potential voters to never to consider Romney or hear his message,” said Gary Marx, who directed conservative outreach for Romney the last time he ran.

That year, Romney placed second in Iowa and fourth in South Carolina behind then-frontrunner Mike Huckabee – a Baptist preacher who won major evangelical support.

Though Mormons consider themselves to be Christians, many evangelicals consider the Latter-day Saints to be a cult.

Evangelicals object to the Mormon belief that the Book of Mormon is the revealed word of God and to such Mormon practices as proxy baptisms for the dead. Evangelicals and Mormons also compete for converts.

Many evangelical leaders have discouraged their followers from translating such differences into opposition to Mormon candidates. But that message isn’t always heeded.

“I don’t think it’s much of an issue among the leadership in evangelical circles,” Michael Farris, an influential evangelical activist, says of Mormon candidates. “But I don’t know if that is always true at the grassroots level.”

Richard Land, who directs public policy for the Southern Baptist Convention, the country’s largest evangelical denomination, says evangelicals could coalesce around Romney but that the conditions would have to be just right.

“If Southern Baptists have a choice between an evangelical candidate, a Catholic and a Mormon and all three appear to be equally conservative and equally likely to beat Barack Obama, they’ll vote for the evangelical,” says Land, who has informally advised Romney on how to deal with his faith on the campaign trail.

“If there’s no such evangelical [in the] race, they’ll vote for the Catholic,” he says, “But if there’s no other candidate who’s likely to beat Obama, they’ll vote for the Mormon.”

Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, an evangelical, and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a Catholic, are running for the GOP nomination.

Beyond theological challenges, conservative activists like Land and Farris say Romney faces skepticism among religious conservatives because he once supported abortion rights and signed a healthcare law in Massachusetts that critics say represented a dramatic government overreach.

But those close to Romney argue that Huckabee’s decision not to enter the 2012 race creates an opportunity for Romney to pick up more evangelical support. Or, they say, it could wind up splitting evangelical voters among multiple primary candidates, making evangelicals a less potent force.

DeMoss, a Christian public relations executive who also helped Romney with evangelical outreach in 2008, says one of the victories from the last campaign was that no big-name evangelical came out against Romney over his Mormonism. This time, DeMoss is working to get some evangelical leaders to go a step further and publicly support Romney.

After Romney’s 2008 defeat, one nationally known evangelical leader privately told DeMoss that he’d voted for Romney in the primaries.

“I remember thinking, it would have been nice if somebody else knew that,” says DeMoss, who believes such revelations would have made more evangelicals comfortable supporting a Mormon candidate.

Huntsman’s entry into the presidential race could make Mormonism less of an issue if it has a mainstreaming effect. But the two candidates’ religious affiliations could play out quite differently.

Romney has long been active in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), having occupied Mormon leadership positions like bishop (the rough equivalent of a lay pastor) and stake president (someone who oversees groups of Mormon congregations).

“I believe in my Mormon faith and I endeavor to live by it,” Romney said in a December 2007 speech in which he addressed his Mormonism. “My faith is the faith of my fathers — I will be true to them and to my beliefs.”

Huntsman, like Romney, spent two years abroad as a Mormon missionary but has kept some distance from the LDS church. As governor of Utah, he loosened liquor laws that had been inspired by Mormon orthodoxy and broke with his church in signing a law allowing civil unions for gay couples.

In a recent television interview, Huntsman affirmed his Mormon faith but added that Mormonism is “a very diverse and heterogeneous cross-section of people. ... I probably add to that diversity somewhat.”

A Huntsman adviser who often deals with the media declined to respond to requests for comment.

Matthew Bowman, an editor at a Mormon studies journal called Dialogue, says Huntsman hails from a slightly younger generation of Mormons who are less defensive about their Mormonism.

“Huntsman is a Mormon who thinks of his faith not as something that separates him from American culture or as something he has to defend or explain away, which is what Romney did,” says Bowman. “Romney is always hyperaware of his Mormonism.”

That means Huntsman may face fewer questions about his Mormonism should he run.

The LDS church, for its part, says its policy is to steer clear of electoral politics. Some church observers say the controversy the church generated by supporting California’s 2008 gay marriage ban, Proposition 8, exacerbated its political reticence.

At the same time, the church has capitalized on increased attention paid to Mormonism - provoked by everything from Romney’s 2008 campaign to the current hit Broadway musical, “Book of Mormon” - with a succession of public awareness campaigns.

The church website Mormon.org, for example, was recently revamped with an eye toward educating non-Mormons about the religion. The site features video profiles of Mormons from different walks of life.

“The message of these ads is that members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints are your friends and neighbors,” says Purdy, the church spokesman. “We are professionals and tradespeople, artists and teachers and everything in between.”

Put another way, the message is that Mormons are normal, everyday Americans.

With the Republican primary race finally starting in earnest, the nation is about get a major glimpse into whether GOP voters agree.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Mitt Romney • Mormonism • Politics

soundoff (3,046 Responses)
  1. Mobius007

There are many "social conservatives" who think that Mormonism is a cult, and not a Christian sect at all.

You don't want to hear what they think of the Book of Mormon.

These folks will never vote for Romney.

June 2, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
    • Tyler

Oh, Betty. There goes that word again...are you trolling?

June 2, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
    • Mobius007

I've really only known one Mormon, a guy I've worked with for the last six years. He's someone I've always gotten along with very well, and I have a high regard for him. I wouldn't even know that he was a Mormon except for the fact that several of my co-workers ("evangelical Christians") pointed this out to me.

To be honest, I consider him to be of higher moral standards, and living by his own Christian values more fully, than the others I've mentioned.

June 2, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • SandeeM

I have read the Book of Mormon, Betty, and believe without any doubt that it is true. We disagree.

June 4, 2011 at 5:50 am |
    • Diane

The Book of Mormon testifies of the divinity of Jesus Christ. Is that total fiction?

June 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • glh

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is just that, the Church of Jesus Christ, restored to the earth in these last days!
      The honest person will look around at all the different sects in the world today, each with their fragments of truth, and question which one truly is The Church of Jesus Christ? The one Christ established when he chose His Twelve Apostles, and taught them the gospel! The gospel of Jesus Christ is present in its fullness in the restored Church of Jesus Christ, which the"Mormons" claim to be.....also known as the "LDS" Church, both the latter being nicknames! If you want to know more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, to alleviate your fears that it may be a cult, (which it is not) go to http://www.mormon.org or http://www.lds.org and check out what they really believe! You will learn they are truly a Christian religion and one who "walks the talk" as Dr. Laura once said!!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  2. Corvus1

A candidate's religion is irrelevant, it's what he or she plans to do for his/her country that counts.

June 2, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
    • Julie

Absolutely.

June 2, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • Talos

well said

June 2, 2011 at 9:35 pm |
    • Ruth J Christensen

I couldn't agree more! You hit the nail right on the head!

June 4, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • Michelle

I totally agree! We should not be voting for our next president of the U.S. based on his/her religion, experience is more important. Just to clarify The Church O Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) is not a cult. There is a group of people that is a break off the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints that call themselves Mormons that are indeed a cult! For those in doubt I ask that you research it and for the true Latter Day Saint Mormons who are Christians research The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints or go to http://www.mormon.org (not.com) I would never vote / not vote for anybody based on their religion alone!

June 5, 2011 at 2:42 am |
  3. keylargo

June 2, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  4. Swamp Yankee

I'd have to care who was president first before I cared about his religion.

June 2, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  5. Carlos Enrique Queso aka Chuck E. Cheese

As long as Romney doesn't try to take away my rights as a coffee drinker, I'm coool

June 2, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Michelle

He would be there to protect and serve our country, not as a missionary! I'm sure he's a smart man and knows how to separate his religion from the work that he has to do as the leader of our country!

June 5, 2011 at 2:47 am |
    • eb

That's way funny!!! You would not have to worry about it!!!!

June 9, 2011 at 2:58 am |
  6. Rich

I would rather have a Mormon than Christian. A Christian pres would have enough followers to attempt to force their views on the rest of us. A Mormon pres wouldn't have that much religious power. I wish we could just leave religion out of politics but the holier than thou Christians and Moslem's feel it is their duty to convert the rest of us.

June 2, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Howard

The House and the Senate will still be predominantly Christian. Frankly, it wouldn't matter.

June 2, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
    • Betty

Not true!
      All Presidents have power!
      I do not want one who believes in and belongs to a cult no matter how nice he is!

June 2, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
    • Howard

Did I say that the president doesn't have power? If he didn't, then why the hell would we even have one? What I am saying is that the president does not have enough power to create mandates that are disapproved an enormous majority of the country. The House and Senate combined have just as much power as the president.

June 2, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
    • Debby

Truth Teller, where are you getting your information. I hate to bust your prejudice bubble, but I am Mormon and do not worship Satan as you think I do. I worship and believe in Heavenly Father/God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. Mormonism is NOT a cult. Have a nice day. And no, we would not stop you from drinking coffee, if that is what you want to do.

June 4, 2011 at 2:55 am |
    • SandeeM

'Truth Teller', I would not try to tell you what you believe. I am an LDS member and it is outrageous for you to write that Mormons worship Satan.
      I can tell you that we worship Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the world. Surely who we worship is obvious from the lives we try to live.

June 4, 2011 at 5:57 am |
    • Joan

Mormons are christians. Hence the name of the church...Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

June 4, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Knows the real Truth

I am simply amazed about what people are writing! LDS people are absolutely Christians!! We belong to the CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS!! Did you notice the word JESUS CHRIST?!! I guess it's easy to criticize something that you don't understand, or want to understand for that matter! All I can say is that I am PROUD to be a member of the CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS!

June 4, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • glh

Rich my friend, Mitt Romney is a Christian.....a true Christian and not one in name only! That means a lot to me! He won't be trying to persuade people to join his Church, but he will uphold your right to worship whom, how and where you choose!!!

June 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  7. Rick's Real

There's a good video clip at amormonpresident.com that is relevent here. I'd like to see this whole video.

June 2, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • Julie

Who cares what religion? Gee, are we ready for Lutheran president? Um, yeah. This is a non-question. Find something else to worry about. Like are we ready for a president who is honest? How about one who is faithful to his spouse? Are we ready for some leadership? Let's talk about that!

June 2, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  8. Chris in the Tetons

For what it's worth – my family and I live in a Mormon-based community. We have low crime rates, great schools, a strong sense of community and a stable economy. We are not members of the LDS church, but in all my years here, I can tell you, I have never, not once, experience bias against us because of our First-Nations beliefs and DeadHead lifestyle, nor have we ever felt uncomfortable when working for or socializing with our Mormon neighbors. Our fellow 'Wydahoans" are decent, friendly, supportive, caring people who are always willing to lend a hand when someone in the community is in crisis – I've seen the LDS church help out members and non-members alike in cases of house fires, medical emergencies, etc.... Perhaps people who are frightened of a group they consider a "cult", which it is absolutely NOT, should focus on the shared values and goals most Americans can agree on rather than trying to create baseless hysteria. After all, even though my husband and I are old-school California-Hippie-Type-Urban-Dropouts, I can certainly get on board with the common interest in clear air and water, thriving agriculture and business, well-run schools, respectful and well-educated children, safe neighborhoods and a sense of ownership and pride in our own communities, beginning at home and reaching out to all those in need and of increased stability and prosperity in our country. As a lifelong Democrat, Romney may even get my vote this time!

June 2, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • Talos

Nice to have some one level headed. =) I've lived in Utah for a while now, and while most of the drivers here are pretty aggressive. the communities for there size are friendlier then any I've lived in. First day moving in, three of my neighbors came over to introduce themselves and help me move in. Their pastor dropped by my house the same week, not only to invite me to the LDS church, but when asked pointed me in the direction of the local Methodist church.

June 2, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
    • Andy

Betty, maybe if you defined "cult" for us, we'd know better how to respond. I do not know of many groups I would consider "cults" that could ever pull off such coordinated, mass displays of kindness and generosity as what *Chris in the Tetons* has described. At some point, you'd think the wolves in sheeps' clothing would've come out by now. Mormons are by no means perfect, but at some point don't you think logic and reason have to at least allow for the possibility that maybe there's more to these kind acts than just some front to try to lure Chris into their evil web of lies? I don't buy it. Sometimes what you see is actually what you get. And what I see is a group of people trying their hardest to be Christlike, much like you'd expect to see out of any other non-Mormon follower of Christ. Evil gets no pleasure from doing good.

"By their fruits ye shall know them."

June 2, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • kdavis

I so appreciate your educated view of a Mormon community. Most people may be wary of what they don't know. What's most important to know about Mormons, is that they are family centered religion who focuses on serving their families and communities. Like you said, most are willing to help where ever there is a need. I grew up in Teton Valley, and although small and very heterogeneous, I feel I have strong center now that I live in the 4th largest city in the US. I live, work, and play with many other religions besides my own and can appreciate anyone for who they are, not what religion they are.

June 4, 2011 at 5:02 am |
    • SandeeM

Chris, you sound like a really nice person. I'd be happy to have you for a neighbour 🙂
      I agree with what you have written.

June 4, 2011 at 5:49 am |
    • Vicki

Thank you Chris. You have your eyes open and can see that the Latter-Day-Saints are good, honest and fair people. I am proud to be associated with the Church of Jesus Christ (obviously Christians) and I bear the name with honor. I will stand for what is right and Mitt Romney is right for the job of President of the United States of America (The promised land). I don't know him personally, but I can tell by the way he handles himself and his family that he is who God would want us to vote for.

June 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
  9. watash60

If we could put up with obama we can take anyone for a replacement

June 2, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • Rick's Real

Except you.

June 2, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • discovega

Agreed!

June 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  10. Mike

Mormon, Muslim, Catholic, Christian......all of the President's have been liars, cheaters, and morons!!!! Whats the big ?? about Romney and his religion....he's not going to do anything different, but his religion is a "cult".

June 2, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • Betty

I agree his "religion" is a cult!
      I would never vote for a President who believed in and belonged to any cult!

June 2, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Tyler

Betty,

Even one that belongs to the cult of Christianity? Keep throwing that word around. It'll stick to some idiot.

June 2, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
    • Emalkire

For those who don't know the definition of cult: a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies. There for Catholics, Luthurens, Methodists, Baptist, etc are all cults!

June 4, 2011 at 2:41 am |
    • SandeeM

Betty, you could write almost anything, but that would not make what is false, true. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is not a cult. It's wrong for you to keep saying something that is not true. Anyone who would like to decide for themselves could access: http://mormon.org/ and go to FAQ, where you can find a list of answers to questions that you may have.

June 4, 2011 at 6:20 am |
  11. Americans don't even know what they want..

Seriously... is this even a question.
    You asked the same thing when Obama came into the picture.
    Are Americans ready for a black president?
    Ask a real question such as,
    Are Americans ready to be manhandled by another president? or is it time to get off your damn couches and get a grip on the country that belongs to you.

June 2, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Goodness , I can hear the opening guitar riff from "I Am a Real American" ...

June 2, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
  12. John D

AMERICANS don't care about Romney being a Mormon...only THE MEDIA does.

June 2, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • Rick's Real

We'll see.

June 2, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  13. ibrad

What part of seperating church and state do you idiots don`t understand? You understand your going down a real slippery slope now. First a Christian (no biggie),A Chatholic or two (Ah ok), A Mormon (let`s try it?). Next might be Muslim,you want this country under Muslim law one day? Don`t get me wrong I`m not anti-muslim. I don`t want any religious group running this country!

June 2, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Don't worry Brad folks say the same thing about any group or persons they do not care for. Out there somewhere on the internet there is a blog messageboard where some feminist are declaring it is a time for men to bow down to a Woman president. 🙂

June 2, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • Mike

Having a belief does not make you a group!! I want someone with honorable values in his or her life!! I want someone who can look me in the eye (not through the lens of a teleprompter) and tell me the truth and how bad things are going to get!!! Someone who understands history, law, and people......I don't want a lawyer, just a person with good common sense, honor, and someone who knows what its like to be in the bush or the desert and cares about the order he will give that will cost someone his life. I don't want an apologizer!!!!

June 2, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  14. Raphael

The fact that Romney's religion is newsworthy is proof positive that to this day the First Amendment is one we approach with the wink of an eye. We are quite hypocritical indeed on this whole subject. Though I am an agnostic, I would like to say that Mormons are no more "weird" than members of any other faith. I judge them by their actions on earth, toward themselves and others. Do we have any hard evidence that a govt run by Mormons would be any less righteous than the governments we've seen of late?

June 2, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  15. Disgusted Republican

The right wing psuedo christian zealots will not accept a Mormon until Hell freezes over. I mean the Hell ruled by Satan not Hell, Michigan.

June 2, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  16. mocha

No way! Just another cult. Secretive, polygamous

June 2, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
    • Brian

There is nothing secret or polygamous about the LDS Church. It's true the general public is not allowed in LDS Temples once they are dedicated, but tens of thousands go in those temples before they are dedicated and learn about what goes on inside once dedicated. Mormons don't talk about it a lot because it's incredibly sacred.

No one in the LDS Church is a polygamist. If they try to be one, they are excommunicated from the Church. Polygamy has nothing to do with the LDS Church and hasn't for over 120 years.

June 3, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • Truth Teller

I LIKE what you said

June 3, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • Kenneth

No one in the LDS Church is a polygamist. If they try to be one, they are excommunicated from the Church... Don´t you think that if your statement where true, a lot of men in the world would like to be a mormon if tha church allowed men to be polygamist... We care about our families

June 4, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • Vicki

You're blind!

June 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • Mister Spencer

What does 'polygamous' mean?

June 4, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  17. hugh mungus

I wished CNN would have asked "Is America ready for a marxist president?" three years ago....

June 2, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
    • Howard

Lol you clearly haven't any grasp on Marx or anything he has ever written.

June 2, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • Carlos Enrique Queso aka Chuck E. Cheese

We've been living under Marxism for the last three years? Wow!

Who removed the boulder so you could crawl out?

June 2, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  18. Jim

It took 200 years for this country to elect it's first Catholic president (JFK) and it will be many more before a Mormon is elected. There's something distrustful about a group whose activities are as secretive as the Mormons are.

Religion has to stay out of politics and a Mormon president can't possibly do that.

June 2, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • David

For being "Secretive" they sure seem willing to share their beliefs universally

June 2, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
    • Rachel

Secretive? I'm pretty sure you can look anything you want up on the website or in their scriptures. Non members aren't allowed in the temple, but that's just because it's considered sacred. You can visit the temples squares and people will amnswer any questions you have. Just because you're not willing to learn doesn't mean the information isn't there

June 3, 2011 at 2:08 am |
  19. NoDoubt

No no no no no nooooooo!

June 2, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • Knows the real Truth

There is a HUGE difference between "SECRET" and "SACRED" Look it up!

June 4, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  20. Mark from Middle River

You know...the VooDoo president is interesting.... I can see negotiations with other countries while the President is jamming long needles into voodoo dolls of the other heads of states. 🙂

Ok, that was wrong … 🙂 Sorry for my lapse in political corre