home
RSS
June 3rd, 2011

300-year-old church found

A church was recently discovered by a team of archaeologists in St. Augustine, Florida. Affiliate WJXT reports.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Church • Florida • United States

1. Eliteamericans

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuSqsopQEF0&w=640&h=390]

LOLZ

June 7, 2011 at 12:24 am |
  2. Friend

Americans should admit they've got everything civil from Britain.

June 6, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
  3. Oliver

Oh great....the bible thumpers are either going to go on about how this is some miraculous act of God or they are going to complain about the fact that the 'resting place' of this church was disturbed. Either way....who cares?

June 6, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
  4. AntiPalinAlaskan

How do you lose a whole CHURCH for 308 years?

Who's THAT absent-minded?

June 6, 2011 at 2:53 am |
  5. WALKINGLASS

Like God says in Acts 17:24 and other verses in His inspired words, 'He does not live in CRAFTED TEMPLES' but they will throw away a ton of money on trying to rebuild it while 42,000 children R dying by starvation EVERY DAY.

U people will NEVER believe in God's inspired words unless it is a few verses that U WANT Him to say. They say God uses His words 'OUT OF CONTEXT' if He don't say what they WANT Him to say.

June 5, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • David

It has historic and archeological value. The fact it was a CHURCH is not relevant (sorry about that). The research tells us about HOW it was built not WHY. Matters spiritual are not part of historic research (except for Bible scholars!!).

June 5, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
    • Eddie York

Well said Walkinglass

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds"

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."

Albert Einstein

June 5, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
    • WALKINGLASS

David, 42,000 dying children has more VALUE than a CRAPPY CRAFTED TEMPLE so when U stand before God on judgement day I suggest that U don't tell Him that a CRAFTED temple means more to U than His CREATED temples do. He will show U what starvation, thirst and pain feels like for googolplex years PLUS.

Historic and archeological value ain't CRAP compared to suffering children that R CREATED by God.

June 6, 2011 at 7:34 am |
    • Bob in SLC

Wait one second: you arguing that feeding starving children is what God wants us to do, why isn't God feeding the starving children ? Perhaps it is God's will that these children starve, who are you to second guess god ?

June 6, 2011 at 9:43 am |
    • WALKINGLASS

Bob in SCL, God is showing U Y U R going to hell if U do not obey His Son.

Have U ever read the Holy Bible where Christ commands U and everyone to have 'COMPASSION" but not sacrificing the suffering of the world??? OR, DOES IT MATTER TO U?

June 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • Oliver

I couldn't give a flying fig about what God says....the bible is the oldest form of propaganda out there.

June 6, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
  6. ellis

After reading several articles of religious topics and looking over the response posts I think people of little or no faith seem to NEED to express their disbelief. For such vocal opinions against religion, it make me curious why they bother to read the articles. Clearly they can't just not believe and let it go. What sad hearts they all must have. I pray God softens their hard hearts and they can learn what peace comes with accepting God's love.

June 5, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Thinking Southerner

The main reason I cannot "let it go" is that I grew up in a Southern Baptist Church. Every other Sunday, the pastor would say, "there won't be no ni@@ers here unless they sit in the balcony. That's what its for." And he was correct. The balcony was built so that the slaves of the church-goers could hear the word of God. The thing that confused me the most was the fact that the church was built by slaves. They made the bricks by hand from a local clay deposit, and straw gathered from the barley fields.
      Today these "good christian folk" want to force their religion on me at every turn.

June 5, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • Sarah

Very likely some atheists may be responding to your tendency to paint us all with such a broad brush as exemplified in your comment, "What sad hearts they all must have."
      I was raised by an atheist, I have never known anything else. I don't think you should feel sorry for me though as I am a pretty happy person, I try and love everybody although sometimes I fail. I try and become a better person every day by being tolerant and patient with those who consider me different or frightening. I try to work hard everyday and appreciate the world around me. Most of all I try and keep an open mind which is why I read as much as I can, especially those things with which I may not agree because it helps with critical thinking skills. Most atheists I know tend to read a lot for this reason, I hope I have answered your question.
      Good luck to you in all your endeavors.

June 6, 2011 at 12:47 am |
    • york85

Why is this church called "Name of God and milk"?

June 6, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  7. Peter Stockwell

Here in the UK there is a 300 year church in every town, along with an 800 year old church. But to have 300 in the congregation would be real news.

June 5, 2011 at 11:00 am |
    • BDakota95

This is news in America BECAUSE, America is not even 300 years old.

June 5, 2011 at 11:44 am |
    • WALKINGLASS

BDakota95, U R so right . America was discovered in 1492 which was only 519 years ago but it wasn't established until 1776 which is only 235 years old, give or take a few days.

There has been many CRAFTED TEMPLES on this big continent for approx. 518 years, so what is Ur point?

2/3 of me took America away from 1/3 of me because I am 1/3 Cherokee.

June 5, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
  8. fheal

@FairGarden – way stop but at a stepping stone; and not go on back to Africa. Provided you want to not stop, at another mere interjection of man.

June 5, 2011 at 6:56 am |
    • fheal
      June 5, 2011 at 6:59 am |
  9. frank

Were there any fossilized cookies in the church?

June 4, 2011 at 9:57 pm |
  10. James Black

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSvqMBj-ig&w=640&h=360]

June 4, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  11. jj

Good point about real ancient history. I've walked all over thousand year old temples in Mexico!
    and like the old joke, about the difference between GB and the US – in GB, 100 miles is far. In US, 100 years old is ancient.

June 4, 2011 at 10:05 am |
  12. Sir Craig

Wow – a church that existed in 1711. Of course, when you consider that Ben Franklin was born in 1706 and we have TONS of information on his life, it kind of makes you wonder why a 300-year old church should be all that interesting. Now if they had found a 3000-year old church in Florida, THAT would be interesting.

June 4, 2011 at 1:39 am |
  13. T-party

3 million old fossils found all the time too.

June 4, 2011 at 12:11 am |
  14. FairGarden

A 300 year-old makes a headline? Americans are cute! ^^ Visit Europe and Israel, please. Find your roots.

June 3, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
    • frank

Visit a latrine and jump in. Find your brain.

June 3, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • T-party

visit Ja-pan that is where Na-tive Americans migrated from

June 4, 2011 at 12:15 am |
    • fheal

Why stop but at a stepping stone; and not go on back to Africa. Provided you want to not stop, at another mere interjection of man.

June 5, 2011 at 6:58 am |
    • BDakota95

This has nothing to do with our roots. We know where we came from. They previously didn't know there were any
      Christian churches built in America PRIOR to the establishment of the new country itself. America is NOT that old. Silly Europeans are cute ^^

June 5, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • biscuit

I am sure you are trying to be cute, but you are being illogical. We know the UK, etc are older than we are. You need not show your vast intelligence there. If you found a 10,000 year old church in the UK, would that not be news? Then someone could say, go back to your Eden roots or something. Why does flippancy bother me so???

June 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Mikey

BDakota95
      I'm fairly sure that there were churches established in the 13 colonies prior to 1776!!!! Seriously. Not to mention the French and Spanish colonies. Did you not take Social Studies? Silly Americans

June 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  15. frank

I just wanted to see if there were any dirty frescos like at Herculaneum.

June 3, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
  16. David Johnson

There is a rumor going around, that this 300 year old church believed Jesus was a cross dresser. I am skeptical.

Cheers!

June 3, 2011 at 9:08 pm |
    • Eric G

Jesus didn't want to be the messiah. Jesus always wanted.......... to be a LUMBERJACK!

June 3, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
    • Ichi

I applaud the Monty Python reference!

June 5, 2011 at 1:07 pm |
    • Eddie York

FYI, Ru Paul:

"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap." Galatians 6:7

June 5, 2011 at 11:06 pm |
  17. Eric G

Believer: "Wow! A 300 year old church! Praise God! That's amazing!"
    Atheist: "Wow! Look at this rock that was used to make the foundation of the 300 year old church! It's over 3 billion years old! That's amazing!"

June 3, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • tallulah13

Actually, this atheist is interested in what this discovery can tell us about how people lived back thing.It's amazing what can be discovered by looking at old habitations. Even a garbage pit has anthropological value. History is fascinating and any contribution is welcome.

June 3, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
    • JulieK

Believer: "Wow, look at the beauty and color of this 3 billion year old rock! Praise God! That's amazing!"

June 4, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  18. tallulah13

It's a part of history and will provide information about how people lived in that place and at that time. I am a history nut, and as far as I'm concerned this is just as relevant as finding a pagan temple or ancient tomb. Well, maybe not as relevant due to the time frame, but any glimpse of the past has value.

June 3, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • Artist

I agree, pull the historical value from it then bury the da mn thing lol

June 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  19. HotAirAce

Who cares, and why?!?

June 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • Artist

That was my first thought lol

June 3, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • biscuit

Such maturity! I am impressed. Very impressed.

June 5, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@biscuit

I'd be impressed if you actually answered the questions...

June 6, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
  20. Artist

Get what historical value you can from it then bury it

June 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • John Richardson

@Artist! Well said!

June 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • Friend

American atheists have no clue on value of historic things. The reason they are ignorant on US history.

June 6, 2011 at 11:06 pm |