home
RSS
Top evangelical to Anthony Weiner: Try Jesus
June 14th, 2011

Top evangelical to Anthony Weiner: Try Jesus

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - One of the nation’s most prominent evangelicals has entered the debate over whether Anthony Weiner will benefit from therapy, encouraging the embattled  Jewish New York congressman to try Jesus instead.

Albert Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, tweeted this message of the weekend: “Dear Congressman Weiner: There is no effective ‘treatment’ for sin. Only atonement, found only in Jesus Christ."

The tweet set some tongues a wagging, especially because Weiner is Jewish.

USA Today said the remark echoed Fox News' Brit Hume comment that golfer Tiger Woods, a Buddhist, should try Christianity after he became embroiled in a sex scandal last year.

Mohler, who leads the flagship school of the Southern Baptist Convention - the nation's largest evangelical denomination - took to his blog Tuesday to defend himself amid the controversy, noting that his tweet “never mentioned Judaism.”

“Rep. Weiner’s problem has to do with the fact that he is a sinner, like every other human being, regardless of religious faith or affiliation,” Mohler wrote. “Christians — at least those who hold to biblical and orthodox Christianity — believe that salvation is found through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and in him alone.”

Mohler called the controversy over his tweet “another sign of how politically incorrect biblical Christianity is becoming in our times.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Jesus • Judaism

1. kingnpriest

All the guy is trying to say, is that Jesus did make exclusive claims! No man comes to the Father BUT BY ME! John 14:6 The fact remains, your sins can be forgiven, washed away, gone for good. Only Jesus offers this, salvation, not based on our own human effort, but upon the finished work of Christ on the cross. It's not man reaching up to God, but God reaching down to man. BELIEVE IT!

June 16, 2011 at 8:39 am |
    • rachel

Wow.

June 16, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • Czarkazem13

I love when people try to pass their fairy tail off as if it is a fact.

Hey, wanna talk to someone that knows nothing about Y'shua or Christianity, talk to a Christian.

June 16, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  2. Joe Christianson

Mohler and Weiner should both try Odin and Thor... the mighty and powerful Gds of the North will change their heathen ways. lol

June 15, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  3. James

Try Jesus? Why? Does he like pictures of naked senators?

June 15, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  4. Anthony Weiner

Dear Lord baby Jesus, lyin' there in your ghost manger, just lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors. I would like to thank you for bringin' me and Twitter together, and also that Al Mohler no longer sound like a retarded gang-banger.

June 15, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  5. lebowski

Ok, I just finished watching it. OK? I lied. I apologize. Your video makes a lot of sense Dude and I cannot refute it. I will go away now.

June 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • lebowski (fer real)

ha! you wish i wrote that. you accuse me of lying, yet you're the one being deceitful by impersonating someone else. don't forget to watch those superior videos and study your bible! 🙂 🙂 😀 😀 😉 😉

June 15, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
  6. hoosiergirl

It is not that Jesus doesn't or can't make a difference. It is that people fail. Believing isn't enough. Even the demons believe in Jesus and know who He is. After finding the truth and believing it one must establish a relationship with Jesus and live by His precepts. Even then it is possible to fail, but at least the forgiveness is there when you repent. God is LOVE. The world can offer nothing to compare. The truth sets you free......

June 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  7. Nonimus

"...how politically incorrect biblical Christianity is becoming in our times"
    In a secular society advocating a separation of church and state, isn't all religion "politically" incorrect?

June 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • zeie

Drop the 'politically,' religion is plain incorrect for modern society.

June 17, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  8. adam

If you be a Reverend Mother, let Shai-Hulud judge now.

June 15, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Laughing

Love the Dune reference

June 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  9. iToldMeSo

@Laughing

All you've done is reassert your conclusion in different words. You basically just said "when most people say they are jewish they imply the religious aspect, not ethnic aspect. Pretty simple."

Well that was your original claim, that I asked for an argument for. If you think you have an argument hidden somewhere in that paragraph, why don't you spell it out?

You said: "Again, with the attack on my religion background aside..."

You said: "clearly using percentages upset you..."

You said: " I'll put it another way, the vast majority of jews for jesus are not connected to the jewish community other than claiming to be a part of it without going through the conversion process."

You said: "If you can prove me wrong, shoe me the evidence..."

I don't need to prove you wrong, I just don't need to take you seriously since you've given me no reason to believe your *conjecture*.

You said: "but over the years talking with friends who are jews for jesus, having even been to some of their services because of morbid fascination, I can say with relative certainty that you won't be able to prove me wrong."

You said: "I fail to see where I said only orthodox jews are jews, pretty sure you can look forever and never find I said that."

You say: "Jesus WAS an orhtodox jew..."

Orthodox Judaism didn't even exist in the 1st century.

You say: "You poor fool, clearly your reading comprehension needs some work if you believe that Jews believing in the torah must all believe that jesus was the messiah."

You say: " I'm confused how your comment actually works."

That much is obvious. Let me spell it out for you: it demonstrates the empty rhetoric you're giving us. You're not giving us anything that couldn't be thrown back in your face. If you think that counts for sufficient argument, then me making the opposite claim counts for sufficient rebuttal.

You say: "when jesus came, he nulled the old testement"

You say: "The mishnah claims that when the messiah comes, a bunch of things will happen at once. All the dead will be raised, ALL of them, not just some."

You say: "This means that had jesus been the messiah, zombies would plague the entire world, and I'm pretty sure if a bunch of dead people came back to life it would have been recorded in at least one place."

You say: "I urge you most of all to actually take your head out of the sand and actually do some scholarship of your own before making dumb comments. THANKS!"

Practice what you preach.

June 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • Laughing

@iToldMe So,

Wow, just wow. Really, bravo you seem to think that attacking my assertion that I'm a religious scholar will somehow null any points I've made.

You said "I suspect you probably think the argument is something like "When Christians call themselves Christians they are referring to religion so when Jewish Christians call themselves Jewish Christians they must mean to imply 'Jewish' in the religious sense." If that is your argument, I shouldn't need to explain why it's a non-sequitur. Try again."

It isn't a non-sequiter, but I guess I need to spell everything out for you because you seem pretty dense. If I were to tell you I'm a jew, what do you think I'm saying, that my religious affiliation is jewish or my ethnic background is jewish (which by the way, does that mean I'm eastern european, Spanish, Ethipoian) Do you see how when someone says they are a certain religion then that doesn't also pigeonhole them into an ethnicity? Let me spell it out for you since you're so keen for me to do that on basically every point. If someone claims to be a Jewish Christian, then they are commenting solely on their religion and nothing else, and since a Jewish Christian is an oxymoron the same way you would think a Muslim Christian , it stands to reason Jewish Christian falls in that category (before you even make the argument, Muslims and Christians have about as much in common and Jews and Christians do, yet where are the Muslim Christians I wonder?)

Try to play the victim card with the rhetoric of "attack"? Nice try. You're the one who decided to bring your religious background into it. You staked your claims on you being a "scholar." I'm just pointing out that your interactions on this issue have hardly reflected anything worth of the label "scholarship." -- Dude, the fact that you keep harping on when I said I was a religious scholar and calling my credentials into question that is an attack, no ifs, ands or buts. I'm not trying to play the vicitm, again if you actually look at my comment, I'm trying to brush off the fact that you think by saying I'm not a religious scholar makes you right. I don't have to stake my claim as being a religious scholar to discuss religion and prove that you're wrong. Look at this board, I consider everyone who makes intelligent comments a religion scholar, and yet since I verbalized it apparently I'm most certainly not?

"LOL... You saying "I'll bet 90%..." doesn't upset me, I just think it's funny that after announcing yourself a scholar that that is the level of argument you reduce yourself to. I'll bet you 90% of people don't use it the way you bet 90% of people use it. How's that sound?" - Sounds good to me, you'd be wrong, but you can say that all you want.

"Thanks for putting it another way, but in order to make a bad argument a good one you need to do a lot more than rephrase it." - Ok then, The jewish community, both in Israel and the US (As they are the leaders in the global jewish community) Do, in no way recognize Jews for Jesus as being even remotely jewish. It's agreed upon by orthodox, conservative, reform and heck, even recontrusctionist leaders that Jews for Jesus have done nothing to be a part of the Jewish community other than in name alone. That might work in christianity, but not in Judaism. Jews for Jesus are in no way jewish as they have not gone through the conversion process. Does that help, do you need me to hold your hand a little further and explain what the conversion process entails?

"So based on your extremely limited experience you're relatively certain. Again, hardly something someone should be basing their claims on if they call themselves a scholar." - I don't know you, but by our few encounters I can say I've had more experience with jews for jesus than you have, does that give me more relative certainty than you? absolutely. As for why I'm relatively certain, it's because I can admit that I have yet to meet EVERY jew for jesus and their specific beliefs, but the majority I've met, the literature I've read have proven that most jews for jesus feel the same way.

"Well I didn't need to look forever, I found it in my last reply to you when I quoted you saying "if they were truely a christ follower, they would be an orthodox jew..." Your statement there amounts to saying that one cannot be a Christ follower and a Jew because being a Christ follower must entail being an orthodox Jew. Now, strictly speaking, this entails the no-true-scotsman idea that only Orthodox Jews are Christ followers, but I honestly doubt that that is the claim you are trying to make, so I'm being charitable by correcting you to wanting to claim that true Jews are Orthodox Jews, which amounts to only Orthodox Jews are Jews. If you find that hard to follow, it's probably because your own thinking is so sloppy here. If you are trying to say that all Orthodox Jews are Christ followers, you're free to correct me on that point." - Please stop putting words in my mouth, at this point you're just arguing with arguments you've decided I was saying. True Jews are not REPEAT ARE NOT orthodox jews, if I believed that then I wouldn't be jewish myself. You are right that orthodox judaism didn't exist in the 1st century because back then it was just called judaism. Orthodox jews follow the torah to the letter. this guy jesus was adamant at first of also following the torah exlcusively. I refer to it as orthodox judaism because in todays terms, that's what it is.

This is your response to me showing you that your own assertions can be equally turned against you? Apparently you don't get it yet, because I could still just repeat the same right back to you: "You poor fool, clearly your reading comprehension needs some work if you don't believe that Jews believing in the torah must all believe that jesus was the messiah." - Yeah, my assertions are far from empty rhetoric. You see, unlike you, I understand when it's laid out very clearly what it will look like when the messiah appears I understand it, unlike you and the other jews who believed jesus even though he didn't do any of the things that need to be done to prove he was the messiah. Seriously now, if jesus actually did everything that's claimed he did, then why didn't everyone believe him? why are there still jews today? Oh yeah, because jesus was a crock, a itinerate madman rabble rouser who decided to take it upon himself to convince his fellow jews that he was the messiah.

"Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. " Cute, really, cute. "These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures" (Luke 24:44,45). Earlier, in the same chapter, we read: "And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself" (Luke 24:27). See? I can quote your dumb book too. This one shows that Jesus is saying he has fulfilled everything in the torah, making it null and void and now it's his word you need to follow. You're quote also is a fine example that Jesus seeks to fulfill the old testment and move on rather than keep following it. If that's not what you believe than why do no christians keep kosher?

"The Mishnah didn't exist in Jesus' day, so reading what it says back into 1st century Judaism looks a little anachronistic." - The Mishnah is the oral tradition finally written down, The mishnah (oral tradition) came into exisitance the same day that god gave the jews the ten commandments on mount sinai. It did in fact exist, just not in written form, but any jew worth his salt in those days knew the mishnah as well as everything written in the torah. your welcome for the history lesson.

I don't think you understand the concept of a zombie, in either its philosophical sense or in its popular sense. In the philosophical sense, a zombie is an unconscious being. So are you saying that 1st century Judaism believed they would be resurrected but unconscious? In the popular sense... well, just watch Night of the Living Dead... do you think this is what Jews thought would happen in the 1st century? - You don't want to go toe-to-toe with me on zombies friend, I know what a zombie is in every sense, all the different types and what you should do when faced with a walking dead. I was referring to zombie in the popular sense but in the basest of terms, literally the living dead. Jews believe that the dead will awake and arise, unlike the popular form of zombie they won't want brains, kill other people or any of that, but they do believe that the dead will wake up and arise.

Practice what you preach. - I usually try thanks, that's why I've done my reading on all different types of religion and actually taken a look around, I would actually appreciate a rebuttle from you rather than trying to say my claims are baseless and not reply, you are literally doing what you ask me not to do, which is willfully reject my assertions without giving me reasons why other than "you are illogical so I retain the right not to answer", sure that might work sometimes, but here you're just being intellectually lazy. If you really believe that you are in fact right and me wrong I ask that you actually take the time to show me where my arguments are flawed instead of attacking the fact that you cast aspirtions that I'm not a religious scholar.

June 15, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Laughing

Dang, I didn't even realize how much I had written, sorry for the essay, but you asked for it.

June 15, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • Former Tele-Evangelist Siiners Anonymous

Well it didnt help Jim Bakker and Jim Swagart much now did it?

June 15, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • iToldMeSo

@ Laughing

That's okay, my own response is ridiculously long... In fact it's all getting too long and further responses will make it even longer so I'll just let you have the opportunity to have the final word and leave it at that.

Thanks,

June 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Laughing

Hooray! I'm the winner!, all joking aside though I was about to ask you not to reply. I saw your post to David Johnson on the other page and realized your MO entails simply stating that people aren't making arguments, even when they clearly are. Debating you involves me making assertions and you saying they aren't and leaving it there which isn't really a debate at all. But thank you for not replying with a ridiculously long post.

June 15, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • iToldMeSo

Apparently several of my comments are awaiting moderation. We'll see if they get through or not. If not, it would be curious as to why since I've hardly used language more offensive than the atheists or other people here.

June 15, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Laughing

Don't hold your breath, when it says it's awaiting moderation it effectively means that the post will never see the light of day. It's not picking up any language specifically you (or any atheist OR christian) use but rather words within words, for instance Const.it.tution gets moderated because of the word inside, there are ways to obviously get around it though just like I did.

June 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • iToldMeSo

@Laughing

Right, when atheists make assertions that I don't think have any good reasons for them I ask them for the reasons so that I can assess their arguments.

What do you want me to do, Laughing? Honestly, should I just respond with my own assertions?? That would probably conform to 90% of what goes on around here (to randomly borrow a percentage from you). But what's the point of that?

Does that make for a better conversation? If someone says "religious people are stupid" and I say "do you have an argument for that?" I'm trying to move the conversation forward... it would be pointless and childish to go "Nuh uh! You're stupid!"

Yet most people here don't interact. They apparently just have their talking points and they get on their soapbox and go through their talk points. Heaven forbid someone should call them to given a reasonable account for the blanket assertions.

The people I'm responding to here aren't making arguments or else they are making arguments for irrelevant propositions. I demonstrated that with David Johnson.

David Johnson gave "arguments" (read: quotes) that evolution is a fact and almost universally accepted in the scientific community. I pointed out that that isn't the issue with ID.

Now do you think you can do a better job than David Johnson? You think I'm wrong in that assessment? Are you going to pick up the gauntlet for him? I'd be happy to give you an email address if you want to do that.

June 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Laughing

Glad you made it past the moderator. Here's the thing, you are in fact right that a large portion of this blog is basically "Religion is stupid" "No atheists are stupid" and I understand that you want a coherant argument that gives a reason why religion is indeed stupid. However when you enter demanding those arguments, you get them and only swat all arguments down saying they aren't. You might believe they aren't, but I assure you, when David or me or anyone either Chrsitian or Atheist starts to put their views in a logical thought and give reasons why , that actually moves the debate forward. When David gives you evidence he's found that backs up his assertions you call that a non-argument and don't engage and that's why I don't want to engage in a debate with you, because it isn't. You just simply keep asking for arguments and adding snide comments.

You say that some people make arguements for irrelevant positions, but that's an opinion. Some christians (most christians) take Genesis and the creation story as the word of god and that it is absolute truth. David Johnson denies this and shows why Genesis is just a story and not fact, which is one way to show that christianity as a whole (re: not your specific opinion on how chrisitanity works) is false. You see, you argue on your behalf and not christians and you might even be sensible, but when you claim to be a christian and fight for christians you take on all the fallacies and illogical truths that christians hold dear to their hearts and say faith makes it true. Same stands for atheists who back science and as another worthy opponent of mine pointed out believe in the Big Bang, which takes as much faith to believe in as the creation story. Both sides are many headed beasts, the true difference is that Atheists aren't united the way christians are, the only thing you need to have to be an atheist is a disbelief in god and because of that Atheists can argue more on their personal behalf rather than a community

June 15, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Almost speechless

@Laughing
      Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, dude!

That is one damn fine post.

June 15, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  10. The Dude

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6w2M50_Xdk&w=640&h=360]

June 15, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • Science SUPPORTS GOD

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYzPZis9X_o&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • Science SUPPORTS GOD

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLR87QYlf_s&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • Science SUPPORTS GOD

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2badQ85D76Y&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • The Dude

If you were intellectually honest you would watch my video instead of spamming it with your ignorance. That is why I will never click on your links. Ever.

June 15, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • lebowski

In fact, I did watch your video. And I would strongly encourage you to watch the ones that follow.

June 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • The Dude

And you are a liar. My video is 14 min long, you posts a reply after 8 minutes.

You are a liar...typical Christian liar.

June 15, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • lebowski

You posted that at 12:52pm. The video is 14 minutes 59 seconds long. I responded at 1:13pm. I will restate, I DID watch your video, and I again urge you to watch the ones which followed yours.
      Thank you.

June 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • The Dude

Look at the time stamp on the videos. Liar.

June 15, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • my video can beat up your video

I watched your video. Your video makes erroneous conclusions. The videos I have posted, rather than being based on someone's personal opinions, are instead based on science, facts, logic, and evidence.

June 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Lee

What is important is that we all enjoy The Big Lebowski.

But I am going to side with The Dude here. Love the video and the fact that you caught lebowski in a flat out lie.

June 15, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  11. Rev. Rick

As an ex-conservative Christian, I can understand why the Jews rejected Jesus as messiah. If you study Old Testament prophesy as a Jew, it becomes very clear that Jesus did NOT fullfil that Old Testament prophesy and could therefore could not have been the promised messiah. Christians insist that he was anyway, but they must contort and bend Old Testament prophesy to make it so.

June 15, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • FairGarden

The Devil is in you.

June 15, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • "Rev" Rick is WRONG

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKvbNh3Xg7Q&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • Rev. Rick

FairGarden is Wrong. Christians are almost invincibly ignorant when it comes to objectivity about their faith. Having been a fundamentalist for almost 20 years I've been there and I know how difficult it is to let that objectivity surface. But I'm glad I did. When I left conservative Christianity it was as if a thousand pound weight was lifted from my soul, and I am now closer to God than ever, and I now understand that God loves me even more than Christians believe. Christians are blind, deaf and dumb when it comes to true liberation of the soul.

June 15, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • Rev. Rick

@ FairGarden – Thanks for posting this video. It does more to prove my point than does pages of postings on CNN. Nit-picking scripture, stating Bible verses as facts, and dozens of generalizations regarding Biblical scholars and scholarship. It doesn't get more vaccuous than that. Empty rhetoric heaped on top of more empty rhetoric, as if the more passionately stated a falsehood is, the more "true" it becomes. Sad. Sad indeed.

June 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

Yep, devil has his "Reverends" running around spreading their heresies and blasphemies.... But God's people know and are not led away by them....! You, "Rev Rick", have never been a sheep known by our Lord and Shepherd Jesus Christ, because if you were, you would not speak damn-able heresies the kind you do! You are an impostor, and those who belong to Christ see who you are! !

---------
      @ Fair-garden,
      Friend,
      We know in whom we stand, and that our faith is built on The Rock. The sea foams, with all the filth that surfaces uncovering what 's hidden in the depth of it's waters, but our Rock is sure, and our stand in Him the same!
      Jesus is forever LORD! They can foam their filth out of the murky waters of their darkened hearts, but we shall stand unmoved! Christ Jesus is risen, the death itself could not hold Him! He is the One in whom we have hidden our lives! Blessed is His Name FOREVER, and EVER!
      A M E N !

June 15, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

@ "Rev." Rick
      Yep, your post surely display who you are!

June 16, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • Rev. Rick

PRISM 1234 said, " You, "Rev Rick", have never been a sheep known by our Lord and Shepherd Jesus Christ, because if you were, you would not speak damn-able heresies the kind you do! You are an impostor, and those who belong to Christ see who you are! ! "

PRISM thanks for proving my point....again....Christians are all lovey-dovey when they are "witnessing", but will turn on another person in an instant and become judge, jury and executioner when faced with someone who has a different view. It is you my friend who attempts to disguise him/her self as a Christian. You have no clue as to my relationship with God, nor what I believe, yet you are ready to comdemn quickly. "Judge not lest you be judged" – Do you remember that verse from your selective memory of scripture. It is Christians like you who give Christians a bad name, and a bad reputation.

June 17, 2011 at 7:22 am |
  12. Know the TRUTH

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2ajqlNHeI&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
  13. Know the TRUTH

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpEyqRtJw_E&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Rev. Rick

This video is nothing more than the typical purveyor of fear in fundamentalism. Your "cure" of salvation is worse than the disease of "sin". Salvation based on fear is no salvation at all. We are simply trading one mind virus for another.

June 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
  14. The Dude

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o&w=640&h=360]

June 15, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  15. The Dude

You think there is a carrot on that stick you are following. But there is not. I think Carl has probably lived 1000X more than you. I suspect he gets by fine without the need to worry about what will happen when he dies.

Cause Jesus forgives.

There's no reason to practice Morality.

So being an evil little heathen and believing in Jesus will get ya to heaven. However if you are a good person and don't believe in Jesus you go to Hell.

Only a demon would suggest that,

only an ignorant fool / tool would believe it.

Stick your bible up your arsse

June 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • lebowski

You are speaking falsely.

It is not hard to find the truth. The truth is that Jesus is real, and you can know this yourself. You are not being honest with yourself, and your words are perpetuating the exact concepts which you speak against. This is dishonest.

Please search for Jesus, and you will find him.

June 15, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • The Dude

I found him. He is a Mexican I found on Craigslist who mows my lawn for $30

June 15, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • FairGarden

lebowski
      I love getting on my knees for Jesus.

June 15, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
    • gtrigger2

you need help

June 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • zeie

lebowski – Yep, found him. Jesús Rodriguez works at the Burger King down the street. Great guy.

June 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  16. myweightinwords

The author asks, "What do you think? Is Mohler simply stating Christian doctrine? Or is it improper to suggest that members of other religious traditions who are facing crises try Jesus?"

Mohler is certainly stating Christian doctrine, but the fact that he feels the need to tell a Jewish man to follow Christian doctrine is what gets me. Why not simply suggest the man go back to the basics of his own faith and behave accordingly?

And really, what in the world is our preoccupation with the s-ex life of others? Can't we just mind our own business?

June 15, 2011 at 11:18 am |
    • The Dude

He probably thinks Weiner is a deviant Child molester and thus belongs in the Christian Faith.

Weiner is just a man with a Penis...There is nothing to be ashamed of. He did nothing wrong.

June 15, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  17. Follow the evidence

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZhUrKiRGrQ&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 11:08 am |
  18. Follow the evidence

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYdzUYyIKMM&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 11:07 am |
  19. PRISM 1234

"We want proof, give the proof" the same worn out parroting phrase....

But the proof was given to you! All you have to do is look around you, and look inside of yourself!
    It is because of your denial of what's inside of you that you have been blinded to the truth!

But your own rebellious hearts will judge you, because you have refused the witness of your own consciences and numbed them to the truth, to the point of being dead.

Therefore, on the Day when the Lord your Maker sum-mons you to face Him, you'll have no excuse! No cons-ti-tution will be there to hide behind, nor loop-holes in the Law, no clever-tongued lawyers to represent you....
    because you have rejected the One who came to give you life!

This is all very simple, people..... so simple, that even a child could understand.
    But you have refused to HUMBLE YOURSELF and to acknowledge WHO you are, and WHAT is inside of you!

THAT'S WHY YOU CAN'T SEE WHO JESUS CHRIST IS, BECAUSE YOU HAVE REJECTED FACING WHO YOU ARE!

But you'll get your proof you're demanding, yet NOT ON YOUR TERM, but HIS!

No human being was ever meant to end up in that place of the dam-ned called Hell. But if you do, it's because you refused to listen! There is not but TWO choices: WITH CHRIST into eternity, or WITHOUT CHRIST – LOST FOREVER!

P.S. The reposting again was necessary because of CNN's screwed up blog

June 15, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • Ida

@PRISM 1234, I Absolutely Beyong 100% agree with you.

June 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

@Ida
      God bless and keep you, friend!
      🙂

June 15, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
  20. The Dude

Ok, Jesus is real..God is real.

Now consider the world without either. How would our world be different if they were not? Would all the current Christians be raping and murdering (More than they do now..89% of jail inmates are Christian).

How different would our world be? Not much I am guess.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eqKb5ViN_Q&w=640&h=360]

June 15, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • A loving response to the world's dumbest video

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHRP0I2SrVs&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • The Dude

Ex-Christian here pal...you are wasting your time. Stick to conning the elderly who are scared of death and drug addicts...both groups lack the mental discipline to resist your BULLSHEET.

June 15, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • A loving response to the world's dumbest video

Why are you resisting? You don't have to resist the truth. This stuff is real, and anyone who 'honestly' seeks evidence to support the reality of the gospel message will undoubtedly come to know Christ. Atheism is hopeless. It is hopeless. I think you should dig deeper to find out what is real. You haven't yet found the right path, but don't stop searching. Perhaps you don't believe in the supernatural, but the supernatural is very real. I will tell you something that is wiser than anything that any non-believer will ever tell you...

Open your heart... and simply ask God to show you the TRUTH. It is that simple.

June 15, 2011 at 11:30 am |
    • The Dude

YOU seem to be the one with the problem. Why do you care what I think? The video shares my own thoughts on Christianity, not a condemnation of all religion. YOUR religion is a tool created to subjugate women and the poor to accept a limited roll in society. It was crated by a bunch of men who shaped your so called faith to ensure they retain control.

Your faith is a detriment to humanity. You offer nothing but an opportunity for thieves and child rapists to waste time and resources that could be used to actually fix problem instead of closing your eyes and talking to your imaginary friend.

Grow up you imbecile!

June 15, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • A loving response to the world's dumbest video

Your statements are incorrect. Followers of Jesus care what you think because they have found life in him. When one comes to know Christ, and learn his teachings, they will find that Christ loves the world, and teaches his followers to love those that do not know him, so that they too might come know Christ.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMJAnt0wn4A&w=640&h=390]

June 15, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • Carl

If you think you need Jesus to have a life...you have failed and you still have no life as your continued interaction with someone who thinks youre an imbecile shows.

I am 46 years old and could retire tomorrow if I wanted. I have a happy family , my friends are happy and healthy, never had a major illness, never wanted anything I could not get. All this without Jesus. In fact all this while flipping your Jesus the bird. I have freed 3 people from the grip of your cult and I will continue to try and de-program as many as possible until my last breath. It is hard though since unlike your cult, I do not target children who are gullible and trusting to everything adults say.

If your cult stopped indoctrinating children and waited until they were 18 to introduce them to "Jesus" your cult would be dead in less than 100 years.

June 15, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • The Dude

Keep fighting the good fight Carl!

June 15, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
    • to carl

Carl,

That is very wonderful to hear that you have had such a good life. But how is your spiritual life? Don't you know that your good life, this material life, is quickly coming to an end? This life is not all there is. So you may want to seriously consider the health of your spiritual life. Perhaps you don't think you have a spiritual life, but you do. And just like your physical self, your spirit self has a creator. And he is the Christ. And you can know him here, in this life. You think your life is good, but I know that your life is empty. Your life is empty because you do not know Christ. But Christ is more real than you are more real than I am. Not only that, but Christ desires you to know him.

Again, I am glad to hear that your life has been good. But when the walls come crashing down, when sickness invades your life, your family, when tragedy strikes, as it does everyone at some point, remember Christ and turn to him. He is never far from us.

June 15, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • Christians are nuts

[rolls eyes]

June 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

Hey, Dude
      You're no EX-Christian.
      To read the Bible and to warm benches of n Sunday does not make one a Christian. The devil knows the Scriptures very well, in fact, he's an expert scholar.... and he also sits in many churches very comfortably, not even being recognized.....
      You call what we say Bull-s-hit, but you yourself can't smell hat what you're wallowing in, because you've made yourself desensitized to it!
      But you have your way, buster, and see where it'll take you, because here is a great surprise awaiting you!

June 16, 2011 at 9:23 am |